Planning in London
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP’s 30-plus team of planning experts is a go-to name for many of the UK’s most complex and significant development and infrastructure projects, including Landsec’s £4bn+ urban regeneration project and the £4.2bn+ Thames Tideway Tunnel project. The highly competitive retail-led regeneration sector remains a strong point, with a number of ongoing multi-billion pound projects counted on the portfolio. Highly regarded names such as Tim Hellier, Tim Smith and Christian Drage regularly handle residential-led regeneration and development schemes, including high-value mixed-use projects for a solid list of commercial clients. The team promotes DCO regimes for infrastructure projects in the oil and gas sector, with a strong presence in the field of onshore gas storage. Further mandates include sporting facility redevelopment projects, garden city proposals, and acting on a suite of objections and compensation claims on behalf of financial institutions, property companies, infrastructure providers and conservation groups regarding the implementation of HS2.
‘Knowledgeable and skilled, trusted advisors who provide industry-leading knowledge.’
‘Always provides a reliable, first-class service.’
‘Brings an infectious enthusiasm to planning projects.’
‘Christian Drage is strategic, client-focused and always well-informed.’
‘James Parker has a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of infrastructure law. He is a gifted problem solver, with wisdom, wit, and team skills.’
‘Helen Wood is one of the rising stars of her generation. A sharp, incisive mind combined with a first-rate talent for drafting.’
Halite Energy Group
Unibail-Rodamco Westfield (formerly Westfield)
Leopard Kensington JV Limited
Homes and Community Agency
- Handled the planning application for National Grid Electricity’s £650m North Wales electricity connection project.
- Advising Landsec on the 9m sq ft Eastern Quarry mixed-use development.
- Advising Unibail-Radamco Westfield on the development of a major retail extension to the Stratford Shopping Centre along with over 1,300 residential units at Cherry Park.
- Advising Project Oaks on the £500m+ Oak Park Garden Village within the London Green Belt involving a number of complex legal and strategic planning issues.
- Ongoing advice to Tideway concerning the £4.2bn Thames Tideway Tunnel.
CMS’ planning expertise covers the full range of sectors including energy, transport, residential, mixed-use, and urban and city regeneration. Martin Evans leads the team on multi-million and multi-billion pound projects for long-standing predominantly commercial clients, and also handles unique mandates in the fields of offshore windfarms, solar energy, high-street rejuvenation and data centres. The highly praised Ashley Damiral is involved in some of the country’s leading projects including a competing DCO application for the Heathrow expansion, as well as being active in the retail, accommodation, hotel and leisure sectors. Joshua Risso-Gill handles significant City of London development projects and has a growing reputation with handling complex schemes involving heritage issues. The team also takes on complex contentious mandates such as planning refusal objections by way of judicial review.
‘A warm and welcoming team that is very knowledgeable in planning law.’
‘The team led by Martin Evans is immensely experienced and very practical.’
‘Particularly excellent at dealing with matters which overlap between planning and other disciplines such as competition, public procurement, property law and commercial law.’
‘Warm, friendly and able to explain complex legal matters and processes at all levels.’
‘Ashley Damiral is is one of, if not the, very best planning solicitors in the country. A brilliant intellect which he wears very lightly, a wonderful team player, and encyclopaedic knowledge of planning and infrastructure law.’
‘Martin Evans, James Snape and Chris Bowes always make time for their clients.’
‘Mark McMurray is a rising star who is very personable and able to articulate complex arguments in a user-friendly way.’
‘June Gillies is a very experienced practitioner, but still accessible and with excellent communication skills.’
The Arora Group
Cadent Gas Limited
Great Portland Estates
Morgan Stanley Real Estate
Mapeley Estates Limited
- Ongoing advice to Hammerson and Aberdeen Standard Life regarding the £4.5bn mixed-use regeneration scheme to deliver an extended shopping centre and 7,500 new homes in the London Borough of Brent.
- Handling Arora Group’s competing application for the Heathrow expansion DCO.
- Advising Imperial College London on its new 23 acre Imperial West Campus development at White City.
- Advising Berkeley Homes and R&F Properties on their involvement with the Nine Elms regeneration project along the London riverside.
- Advising National Grid Property in relation to the regeneration of surplus land at its substantial former gasworks landholding.
Pinsent Masons LLP’s market-leading, nationwide presence enables the team to handle some of the largest NSIPs on the market, with names including Richard Griffiths and Robbie Owen being leaders in the field. Iain Gilbey and Richard Ford regularly handle large-scale regeneration projects, residential and mixed-used development schemes, commercial planning projects and garden city settlements. Through the leadership of Nicholle Kingsley, the team has a major presence in the sporting sector, with a solid list of mandates involving stadium and associated infrastructure redevelopment proposals. Gareth Phillips is the go-to name for planning projects in the energy and renewables sectors, having handled the DCOs for significant offshore windfarms, solar projects and energy storage parks. The team takes on contentious applications in the higher courts when planning challenges are brought against clients, as well as acting on health and safety prosecutions and licensing issues. Through notable client Highways England, the team also leads on large-scale road projects, with Emma Harling-Phillips a stand-out name in this field.
Nicholle Kingsley; Iain Gilbey; Richard Ford
‘A team of tremendous experience, with a wide range of skills and disciplines.’
‘The practice of choice for the most complex of infrastructure planning matters.’
‘Offers clear, pragmatic, consistent advice on often challenging, technical issues.’
‘Duncan O’Connor has a calm but authoritative tone with which he provides very comforting advice on tense, pressured matters.’
‘Emma Harling-Phillips is very diligent and solutions orientated.’
‘Emma Harling-Phillips is extremely bright, hard working and personable.’
‘Robbie Owen is a very impressive strategist.’
Capital & Counties
Transport for London
Drax Power Limited
London Borough of Croydon
London Legacy Development Corporation
Old Oak Common and Park Royal Development Corporation
2020 Developments(Luton) Ltd/Luton Town Football Club
Ebbsfleet Development Corporation
Stone Hill Park Limited
Cory Riverside Energy
- Acted for London Legacy Development Corporation on the granting of planning permission for the development of a new UCL campus in the cultural quarter of the Olympic Park.
- Advising Fulham Football Club on its proposals for the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand at Craven Cottage
- Providing advice on all planning, policy, parliamentary affairs and property aspects of the Heathrow Expansion Project.
- Advising Cleve Hill Solar Park Limited on the 350mw solar park project in Kent.
- Advising Elephant & Castle Properties on all planning aspects of the Elephant & Castle shopping centre and London College of Communication redevelopment project.
Under the leadership of the highly-praised practice head Trevor Goode, Ashurst’s planning team undertakes some of the highest value and complex housing-led development projects on the market, including a suite of garden village proposals throughout the UK. A diverse roster of public and private sector clients instruct the team to advise on build-to-rent schemes, CPO applications, social housing regeneration, Transport and Works Act orders, and major urban mixed-use regeneration programmes. Owing to its close interface with the corporate team, the practice often advises high-profile commercial clients on significant NSIPs and acquisitions in the energy sector (including offshore windfarms). Retail-led planning advice is evidenced by the firm’s retention of Westfield to the client roster. The team also fields experience in complex issues surrounding tall buildings, heritage sites and build-to-rent schemes. Highly praised senior associates Charlie Reid and Ben Groves provide solid support on the full range of issues.
‘Provides a wonderful combination of strategy and attention to detail.’
‘Trevor Goode stands out as a leader in his field. He listens and challenges appropriately before imparting his sage advice in his own inimitable style.’
‘Trevor Good is a deep thinker, patient, approachable and understands his client’s modus operandi.’
‘Ben Groves has a clarity of thinking and is accessible, responsive, committed and approachable.’
‘Brian Cheung pays clinical attention to detail and is responsive and solid.’
‘Trevor Goode is a brilliant strategist; calm, rational and sensible.’
‘Charlie Reid is a details man with an astonishingly impressive grasp of every nuance.’
‘Ben Groves is diligent, thorough and hard working.’
‘Trevor Goode and Charles Reid are very responsive and demonstrate the values of the company very closely. They work tirelessly to offer a great service.’
Crossrail/Transport for London
Greater London Authority
Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation
Guildford Borough Council
Worcester County Council
Oxford West End Developments (OXWED)
- Advising Berkeley Homes on a suite of instructions including its 4,000 house proposal in West Ham and the regeneration of key former gasworks sites across London.
- Advising Lendlease as development partner of Haringey Council on its £1bn regeneration of High Road West and proposed estate regeneration through the Haringey Development Vehicle.
- Advising Grosvenor on its flagship £500m build-to-rent proposal in Bermondsey, Southwark.
- Advising Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation on a West London regeneration project aiming to create 25,500 new homes and 65,000 new jobs.
- Advising Invesco on matters relating to the route of the proposed Bakerloo Line extension.
BDB Pitmans has a strong reputation as a leading firm in the field of infrastructure planning, and advising on DCO and Transport and Works Act Order applications for major projects across the UK. Particularly noteworthy ongoing work includes the full suite of advice to Transport for London regarding the Crossrail 2 project and the DCO application for the £5.3bn+ Lower Thames Crossing project for Highways England. Angus Walker also advises on NSIPs in the airport and oil and gas sectors. On the development side, practice head Mark Challis advises a number of local authorities on their CPO applications for high-value regeneration programmes, as well as handling contentious issues such as planning objections by way of public inquiry. The sizeable nine-partner team also includes Sarah Clark, who notably is acting alongside Challis on a £3bn+ line extension project for Transport for London.
Other key lawyers:
Angus Walker; Sarak Clark
‘Not only the leading infrastructure planning practice in the UK, but also a really good mainstream planning practice with all-round expertise.’
‘There is no one with more experience and expertise in nationally significant infrastructure projects than Angus Walker.’
‘Sarah Clark is a great lawyer who can guide a case through to a successful conclusion, as well as being able to inspire confidence in clients and the team that she leads.’
‘Angus Walker is the leading infrastructure lawyer of his generation. There is no one with his experience and expertise in nationally significant infrastructure projects.’
‘The firm has exceptional associates who are more than capable in their own right, including Lauren Spencer and Joanna Purkis.’
‘Angus Walker has an encyclopaedic knowledge of infrastructure planning.’
‘Provides cutting-edge, well-informed. strategic, innovative and thoughtful advice.’
‘Mark Challis really understands what his clients’ needs are and what they want to achieve.’
‘Lee Tearle is hardworking, thorough and a safe pair of hands.‘
‘Nicholas Brown is a bright, attentive problem solver who can win with both intellect and charm.‘
‘The firm has exceptional associates who are more than capable in their own right, such as Lauren Spencer and Joanna Purkis.‘
Transport for London
London Borough of Lambeth
London Luton Airport Limited
Transport for Greater Manchester
RiverOak Invests Corp LLC (developers of Manston Airport)
Transport for Wales
- Advising Transport for London on all aspects of the authorisation of the Crossrail 2 scheme.
- Advising Highways England on the authorisation of the Lower Thames Crossing project.
- Advising London Luton Airport Ltd on a proposed major expansion of the airport.
- Advising Transport for London in obtaining a Transport and Works Act Order to authorise the building and operation of a major extension to the Bakerloo Line.
- Advising RiverOak Investment on its proposals to reopen Manston Airport for freight and passenger travel.
Dentons’ diverse roster of public and private clients instructs the planning team on large-scale projects covering a full range of matters. Housing-led regeneration schemes are a strong point for the team, with practice heads Stephen Ashworth and Roy Pinnock handling a number of major projects across the country. Other strengths include advising local authorities on their urban extension plans, garden community proposals, CPO applications and mixed-use development schemes. The team’s engagement with policy and legislation enables it to provide strategic advice regarding CIL, the emerging new town legislative framework and the evolving build-to-rent sector. The practice has a solid team of associates who handle complex work, including Michele Vas’ expertise with strategic residential urban extensions and Rachael Herbert’s involvement with the big-ticket 8,500 home Gilston Park Estate project.
Stephen Ashworth; Roy Pinnock
‘Dentons has a long standing and distinguished presence in the planning area and offers exceptional experience and acumen.‘
‘The team has an excellent reputation and is well respected in the industry.‘
‘Michele Vas is first class.‘
‘Roy Pinnock is technically astute and a good negotiator with a human approach.‘
‘Roy Pinnock combines high intelligence and boundless enthusiasm with acute commercial judgement.‘
‘Melanie Blanchard, who is adored by clients, can always be relied on to provide immaculate organisation and support, delivered with unfailing grace and calm.‘
‘The Dentons team provides a great combination of technical knowledge, ability and individual personality. A team of excellent team players who are approachable and easy to get along with.‘
Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd
Lands Improvement Holdings
Great Western Developments Limited
Taylor Wimpey UK Limited
Mid Sussex District Council
North Essex Authorities
Uttlesford District Council
- Handling a suite of matters for Taylor Wimpey Central London, including an estate regeneration project in Clapham Junction and scheme changes to the Mount Pleasant development.
- Advising Uttlesford District Council on the new communities proposed at North Uttlesford and Easton Park, providing 15,000+ new homes.
- Advising the Greater London Authority on a number of projects including the Beam Park redevelopment and a build-to-rent scheme in Barnet.
- Advised Tide Construction on negotiations to secure permission for the 550-apartment build-to-rent development at 101 George Street, Croydon.
- Advising Mid Sussex District Council on applications for a significant new community at the Northern Arc, Burgess Hill.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has a significant presence in the field of infrastructure planning, with experience in promoting complex DCOs for energy, renewables and transport projects. The team regularly advises developers and landowners on all development planning issues such as CPO applications and compensation, urban extensions, regeneration schemes and contentious instructions including public inquries. Recent high-profile work involved advising on fracking projects across the UK, securing consent for large-scale garden city projects, advising on strategic rail freight interchange projects, and securing consent for a major football stadium redevelopment in London. Other strong fields of expertise for the practice include strategic residential projects, commercial office space developments, and retail and leisure projects.
‘Morag Thomson and Laura-Beth Hutton provide tremendous attention to detail and are very tenacious when they need to be.‘
‘The team has exceptional knowledge and experience in the planning field and provides clear advice.‘
Sirius Minerals/York Potash Limited
- Handling the development and promotion of the 6,500 home Ebbsfleet Valley settlement in Kent for Henley Camland.
- Advising National Grid North Sea Link Limited on the consenting and compulsory acquisition for the North Sea Link Interconnector.
- Advising National Grid Viking Link Limited on the consenting, environmental impact assessments and compulsory acquisition for the UK elements of Viking Link, an HVDC interconnector linking the electricity networks of the UK and Denmark.
- Advising York Potash on all aspects of the York Potash Project (the first new potash mine in the UK for 40 years).
- Advising on the application to the Secretary of State for a DCO to construct a strategic rail freight interchange on land near Junction 15 of the M1 Motorway in Northampton.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP has an established foothold in the major fields of the planning law market, namely commercial development, energy and infrastructure projects. Market-leading projects are often handled through the team, including multi-billion pound London regeneration schemes, significant retail and mixed-use developments, commercial building projects and DCO applications for major infrastructure projects. Of particular note to the latter, Catherine Howard and of counsel Charlotte Dyer are handling the £1bn+ electric power transmission link between England and France. DCO applications for infrastructure projects is a strong point including expertise in the nuclear energy development sector. Practice head, Matthew White, advises on some of the largest commercial redevelopment projects on the market such as the £4bn Canada Water mandate. The team often takes on highly unique projects such as Madison Square Garden’s new London Sphere project, including site acquisition and planning. Contentious work is all-encompassing, with recent matters involving the defence of high-profile public inquiries, judicial reviews and planning objections.
‘A brilliant team with a good range of skills.‘
‘Has a superb understanding of the intricacies of planning law and also the ability to apply that practically to relevant situations.‘
‘Matthew White is a smooth and efficient senior partner who is excellent at client handling.‘
‘Charlotte Dyer is a great lawyer and amazing to work with.‘
‘Catherine Howard is diligent and hardworking; nothing is too much trouble for her!‘
‘Annika Holden is first-class, endlessly hardworking, responsive and very knowledgeable.‘
‘Matthew White is a calm, polite and skillful negotiator, adept at quickly disarming aggressive opponents and getting to the pragmatic and commercial heart of a negotiation.‘
‘The team always gives top-quality advice with a quick response in extremely challenging situations.‘
‘Catherine Howard and her team impresses every time with their extensive knowledge and provision of articulate and thorough advice.‘
‘Charlotte Dyer is an extremely thorough and efficient practitioner whose work is also extremely well considered. She is highly effective and able to positively shape and influence a project.‘
M7 Real Estate
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP)
UK Oil and Gas
Wisley Property Investment Limited
Gatwick Airport Limited
Mitsubishi Estate London
- Advising British Land on the development proposals for the Canada Water Masterplan in the London Borough of Southwark.
- Advising Wisley Property Investment Limited on the proposals to redevelop the former Wisley Airfield site, which includes the largest previously developed green belt site in Guildford.
- Ongoing advice to AQUIND on the proposals for a High Voltage Direct Current subsea and underground electric power transmission link between the south of England and Normandy.
- Ongoing advice to Cuadrilla Resources on its planning and environmental consenting strategy to carry out hydraulic fracturing in the UK.
- Advising on the redevelopment of Newcombe House, located above Notting Hill Gate underground station.
Claire Dutch, who heads the planning team at Hogan Lovells International LLP, is highly regarded for her expertise in handling high-profile London-based regeneration schemes, residential tower developments, and national infrastructure projects. The broad client list, which includes big-ticket commercial names, public bodies, housing associations and local authorities, instructs the team on significant projects such as the King’s Cross redevelopment, the Olympic Park legacy, and the Brent Cross South regeneration scheme. Contentious work remains a strong point for the practice, with recent instructions involving public inquiry appeals, planning appeals and judicial review applications. Significant client, the Crown Estate, recently instructed the team on an urban extension planning application. Dutch and Michael Gallimore are well equipped to advise their clients on all key planning policy changes such as CIL and affordable housing requirements.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Gallimore; Hannah Quarterman
‘Provides clear and persuasive advice on even the most challenging of issues.‘
‘One of the best, if not the best, in the industry.‘
‘Hogan Lovells works extremely effectively as a team which help to build trust among clients and consultants.‘
‘Claire Dutch is an exceptional planning expert. She is straightforward and very clear in her advice.‘
‘You know you will get sound advice and an excellent level of service when Claire Dutch is part of the team.‘
‘Claire Dutch is a leader in the field of planning.‘
‘Claire Dutch and Hannah Quartman provide invaluable advice and their ability to think on their feet in difficult negotiations in amazing.‘
‘Claire Dutch, Michael Gallimore and David Wood are all exceptional; they provide great judgement and client-friendly advice.‘
‘Michael Gallimore provides sage advice on government policy.‘
‘Hogan Lovells’ vast experience and range of clients is the envy of its competitors.‘
Argent PLC and Argent Related
Carbon 8 Aggregates Limited
Covanta and Veolia JV
Dacorum Borough Council
Grafton Advisors (part of GreenOak Real Estate)
M&G Real Estate
Peabody (housing association)
Real Estate Investment Management Limited
The Ballymore Group
The Berkeley Group
The Church Commissioners
The Crown Estate
The Historic Royal Palaces Commission
Mars Pension Fund
- Successfully acted for GreenOak Real Estate on a controversial public inquiry appeal regarding a central London site.
- Advised the London Legacy Development Corporation on planning strategy to secure a suite of planning permissions for the new Cultural and Educational District.
- Advised Hammerson and Ballymore on their joint venture to develop Bishopsgate Goodsyard (central London’s largest available brownfield site).
- Advising the Crown Estate on the 2,500 home urban extension to Hemel Hempstead.
- Advising on the planning aspects of British Land’s development and investment activity throughout London and the UK.
Town Legal LLP
Town Legal LLP is the premier planning boutique on the market, fielding a team of eight dedicated planning partners who cover the full scope of instructions, including highly regarded names such as Simon Ricketts, practice head Patrick Robinson, and Clare Fielding. The team’s regeneration expertise is encapsulated by the £8bn Battersea Power Station mandate, with ongoing issues concerning highways agreements, affordable housing negotiations and planning issues in relation to the shareholder restructure. Significant redevelopment projects include Stansted Airport’s expansion programme, which has necessitated the defence of two judicial review applications in the High Court. Residential-led and mixed-use development mandates also remain a constant stream of work. The team is enjoying steady growth with the addition of Raj Gupta from Pinsent Masons LLP (who brings added expertise to the CPO field) and Duncan Field from Norton Rose Fulbright. Notably, the team also includes a barrister with Mary Cook.
‘Town Legal is one of the few firms with the real, in-depth in-house knowledge necessary to manage complex compulsory purchase claims effectively.‘
‘There is no better specialist planning law team in London.‘
‘A perfect combination of commercial acumen and forensic knowledge of the planning world.‘
‘The client service is outstanding.‘
‘Town is the best London planning law firm.‘
‘Raj Gupta provides excellent tactical and strategic input to claims and their management, and ensures that the rest of the professional team is working effectively.‘
‘Simon Ricketts and Liz Christie are excellent. Both very diligent and a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Simon Ricketts’ brilliant reputation is well deserved. The most knowledgeable planning solicitor on the market and a genuine pleasure to work with.‘
‘Juliet Munn is a bright star on the rise.‘
‘Spencer Tewis-Allen’s knowledge in both policy and case law is encyclopaedic.‘
Manchester Airports Group
St William Homes LLP (part of the Berkeley Group)
Fawley Waterside Limited
Canfield Freehold Limited
Battersea Power Station Development Company
London Strategic Land
Brookfield Property Unit Trust
Plymouth City Council
South Hams DC
West Devon Local Plan
- Advising the owners of Battersea Power Station on its £8bn regeneration.
- Handling Stansted Airport’s legal issues relating to its planning application to increase annual passenger throughput.
- Advising St William Homes on the redevelopment of a former gasworks site in Fulham.
- Advising Fawley Waterside on the residential-led redevelopment of the 300-acre site of the former Fawley Power Station site.
- Advising Canfield Freehold on a large claim for compensation following compulsory purchase of land in Euston for the HS2 scheme.
Winckworth Sherwood LLP’s planning team advises a number of major residential developers on housing-led schemes throughout London and the southeast, handling all aspects of planning law including section 106 applications, policy, strategy and risk mitigation. The team acts on urban extension projects and mixed-use town centre schemes, as well as handling planning permission refusal appeals when they arise.
Addleshaw Goddard enjoys a strong flow of housing and mixed-use development mandates including complex build-to-rent schemes across London and a number of retail-led developments in the wider UK market. Contentious work in this field saw national planning practice head, Marnix Elsenaar, successfully defending a judicial review of the planning permission granted for a shopping centre extension. The team also has a footprint in the national infrastructure space, with expertise in drafting DCOs and Transport and Works Act orders for a number of high-profile projects in the energy and transport sector. Further contentious work saw Gary Sector successfully representing a client in a high-value appeal to secure planning permission for a residential development.
Other key lawyers:
‘Addleshaw Goddard has a very acute understanding of planning law and policy with a commercial instinct and a focus on delivery.‘
‘Gary Sector is outstanding.‘
‘Gary Sector is an exceptional planning lawyer, with an ability to cut through extraneous details and define what the key issues are in every case.‘
‘Gary Sector is an expert on planning law, policy and practice. He deals very capably with major projects and is particularly adept at cases which cross over between planning, environmental law and permitting.‘
‘Gary Sector has very sound judgement and is a delight to work with.‘
London Luton Airport
- Advising London Luton Airport on a number of projects including the planning application for the DART mass passenger transit scheme.
- Advising University Partnerships Programme on an appeal following a planning application refusal for a redevelopment of the Reading University student halls.
- Advising Tellon on all elements of the Bargate Quarter mixed-use development in Southampton.
- Advising Hub Group on a number of major housing developments across London.
- Advising Muse Developments on a number of mixed-use developments across London including Lambeth Town Hall, Brentford Lock and Hale Wharf.
Bristol-based Burges Salmon LLP advises both local authorities and developers on a broad range of planning matters, including considerable expertise in drafting infrastructure agreements for NSIPs in the gas, offshore windfarm and roads sectors. The team led by Gary Soloman also assists housebuilders with their garden city and urban extension projects, providing assistance on CIL, section 106 negotiations, highways agreements, and related infrastructure considerations. Substantial contentious matters are handled by the team, including judicial review applications and statutory challenges. Recent mandates involved acting on a development proposal objection for a World Heritage Site and defending a planning permission objection for a wind turbine in the High Court.
‘A huge wealth of really good lawyers.‘
‘A team with extensive experience in heritage legislation.‘
‘An excellent team.‘
‘Patrick Robinson, Jen Ashwell, and Stephen Humphreys are all excellent.‘
Isle of Anglesey County Council
YTL Property Holdings
Canal & River Trust
Snowdonia Pumped Hydro Limited
Triton Knoll offshore Wind Farm Limited (RWE Innogy and Statkraft JV)
Seagreen Wind Energy (SSE/Fluor JV)
Royal Botantic Gardens Kew
DS Smith Paper Ltd
- Assisting Isle of Anglesey County Council in its role as host authority for the new nuclear power station at Wylfa and associated developments.
- Advising Triton Knoll Offshore Wind Farm Limited on its electrical system.
- Advising Highways England on the consenting of the new A30 dual carriageway.
- Advising YTL Property Holdings on its 2,800 home development at Filton airfield – a new destination planned for Bristol and South Gloucestershire.
- Acting for Kew Gardens in relation to a development proposal which threatens the Gardens’ world heritage site status.
Clifford Chance LLP leverages its City of London footprint to handle some of the area’s most significant regeneration projects, including the Wood Wharf, Quay Club and Barts Square schemes. Practice head, Nigel Howorth, is a leader in the field of nuclear power projects having secured the Horizon Nuclear Power mandate. Senior associate, Elizabeth Hardacre, is also developing a name in the energy and regeneration sectors. The team regularly assists both corporate and significant public clients with the planning aspects of refinancing deals, portfolio sales and property acquisitions. The team represents clients on contentious issues when they arise, with recent mandates involving nuisance claims and judicial review applications filed against expansion projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team shows excellent technical skill and communication in challenging environments.‘
‘The team provides excellent advice on demanding projects.‘
‘The commitment and dedication of the team is outstanding.‘
‘The whole team is a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Elizabeth Hardacre consistently provides succinct advice with patience and understanding.‘
‘Nigel Howorth provides extremely pragmatic advice. He listens carefully to client needs and never loses sight of the overall commercial objective.‘
‘Elizabeth Hardacre is very dedicated and solutions-focused. She produces excellent quality work under extreme time pressure and acquires an unusually forensic knowledge of the matter at hand.‘
‘Katie Kempthorne is very client-friendly and produces excellent quality work to tight timelines.‘
‘Nigel Howorth always delivers.‘
‘Elizabeth Hardacre is a very, very competent senior associate who always gives it her all.‘
Canary Wharf Group
Horizon Nuclear Power
Legal & General
AIG Global Real Estate (AIGGRE)
CK Asset Holdings Limited
- Ongoing advice to Canary Wharf Group on the implementation of its Wood Wharf development.
- Advising Horizon Nuclear Power on all planning, highways and environmental aspects of the development of a new generation of nuclear power facilities in the UK.
- Advising a confidential client on the change of use application to provide a new private hospital in Central London.
- Ongoing advice to Helical on the joint venture acquisition and development of the 20,500 sq ft Barts Square mixed-use project.
- Advising Canary Wharf Group on the development of a private members club at West India Middle Dock.
Clyde & Co LLP has a broad planning practice which covers large-scale residential developments, DCO promotions for infrastructure projects, commercial development extensions, and a particularly strong contentious offering. Recent mandates in the contentious space included a lengthy public inquiry into a motorway development and promoting a successful judicial review in the High Court concerning a local authority's residential development plans. The client roster comprises developers, landowners, local authorities, and high-net-worth individuals from a diverse range of sectors – including residential, commercial, aviation, highways, retail, leisure and infrastructure – who highly praise the breadth of expertise of dedicated partners Ian Ginbey, Stephen Webb and Brian Greenwood.
Ian Ginbey; Brian Greenwood
Other key lawyers:
‘The leading City firm for planning with an outstanding spread of work dealing with development projects, litigation and national infrastructure projects.’
‘Ian Ginbey, Stephen Webb and Brian Greenwood are outstanding practitioners. They are astute, well informed and highly practical.’
‘Great to work with and highly valued by clients.’
‘The team undertakes an outstanding spread of work dealing with development projects, litigation and national infrastructure.’
Associated British Ports
Corinthian Land Limited
CEMEX UK Operations Limited
Freshwater Group of Companies
Oikos Storage Limited
Frontier Dragon Limited
Briggens Estate Limited
Carlyle Land Limited
Greenland (London Limited)
Peel Holdings plc
Estates & Agency plc
U + I
St Modwen Developments Limited
UK Regeneration Limited
Galliard Homes Limited
- Acting for Associated British Ports in relation to the Welsh government’s proposal to construct a relief road for the M4 motorway in South Wales.
- Advising Shepperton Studios with its proposals for a significant expansion and redevelopment of the existing Shepperton Studios, which is located within the Green Belt.
- Advising Corinthian Land Limited in relation to its planning application for a mixed-use urban extension comprising (amongst other things) 4,000 dwellings, two primary schools and a new A2 junction south of Canterbury.
- Advising Carlyle Land Limited in respect of its proposal for a sustainable urban extension comprising (among other things) 2,000 dwellings, 0.6 hectares of employment area, a primary local centre, a secondary local centre, a school, associated green infrastructure and other associated infrastructure.
- Advising Galliard Homes Limited on the development of one of the North Essex garden communities at Boxted Wood, west of Braintree.
Gowling WLG’s planning practice provides expertise in promoting CPOs for public and private sector clients for significant regeneration schemes in London and throughout the national market. Mixed-use development schemes are of particular focus for the team, such as Vicky Fowler’s advice to the relevant local authorities on the multi-billion pound Brent Cross redevelopment project. The team handles planning applications and related planning agreements for transport infrastructure projects and promotes DCOs for key public and private sector clients. Retail planning is cited as another field of expertise, including acting on associated contentious work such as planning appeals and judicial review applications. The team welcomed Stephenson Harwood's previous planning head Ben Stansfield to the team, who brings considerable expertise in real estate development projects and the consenting and regulation of infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ben Stansfield is a fantastic new addition to the team.‘
‘Ben Stansfield has a fantastic approach with clients; down to earth, accessible and practical.‘
‘Vicky Fowler and Laura Nation are very personable and able to identify the source of the issue.‘
‘The team provides well-balanced, considered legal advice and wealth of experience.‘
Transport for London
Be First Regeneration
U & I
London Borough of Barnet
Legal & General
The Crown Estate
Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation
South Tees Development Corporation
Galliard Homes Limited
South Tees Development Corporation
Westminster City Council
- Advising Transport for London on new transport infrastructure projects including new ticket halls and other transport obligations for The Mall Walthamstow, the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre redevelopment, and Canada Water Masterplan.
- Ongoing advice to South Tees Development Corporation on the strategy to secure the regeneration of the 900 hectare former SSI steelworks at Redcar.
- Advising Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation on three development sites.
- Providing strategic planning advice to Westminster City Council on the regeneration of a priority housing site.
- Advising the London Borough of Barnet on the multi-billion pound Brent Cross Cricklewood scheme, which will create a new town centre incorporating 7,500 homes, 27,000 jobs, three re-built schools, redevelopment of Brent Cross shopping centre, new parks and community facilities, an additional Thameslink train station, as well as major road and public transport improvements.
Osborne Clarke LLP
John Baird heads up the planning offering at Osborne Clarke LLP which has a number of significant mandates to its work profile, including one of the largest CPO claims relating to HS2, DCO and CPO applications for large-scare rail developments in Northamptonshire and extensive logistics facility projects throughout the UK. The team receives a regular flow of instructions in the fields of housing-led and mixed-use development schemes, retail and commercial developments, student accommodation, and build-to-rent schemes. Baird and Anna Harlow also work extensively in the urban extension space and have a strong track record in successfully settling a number of judicial reviews filed against their client’s planning proposals.
Other key lawyers:
‘John Baird and Anna Harlow are collaborative and genial, and the team is easy to work with.‘
‘The team has depth of knowledge and expertise.‘
Welbeck Strategic Land
Barratt David Wilson
- Advising Gazeley on the proposed £200m expansion at the client’s logistics facility at Magna Park, Lutterworth.
- Representing Topland in its £60m compensation claim in relation to the HS2 rail scheme.
- Assisted Welbeck Strategic Land with successfully obtaining a resolution to grant outline planning consent for 2,204 homes in a major new urban extension in South Worcester.
- Advised Ptarmigan Land on the proposed urban extension at Staplegrove, Taunton, for up to 1,600 dwellings.
- Advising U+I on an appeal for a £75m+ town centre regeneration scheme in Swanley, Kent.
Taylor Wessing LLP’s planning team advises on all aspects of planning and environmental law to a client base of developers, investors, local authorities and landowners. Practice head Alistair Watson has expertise in CPO applications, environmental impact assessments, highways agreements, urban extensions and redevelopments within conservation areas. The team, which also comprises three associates including senior associate Emma Tait, has a strong track record of advising on the redevelopment of major sporting stadiums.
Other key lawyers:
Emma Tait; Holly Grundon; Joanna Bassett
‘Al Watson really knows his stuff on planning and provides invaluable support.’
Brentford Football Club
Bristol Rovers Football Club
Empiric Student Property
Saracens Rugby Club
Town End Farm Development LLP
Secure Income REIT
Southampton Football Club
- Advising Brentford Football Club on all planning, environmental and infrastructure matters relating to the build-out of the club’s 20,000-seater stadium, together with the redevelopment of its existing stadium at Griffin Park.
- Advising the Comer Group on its residential development portfolio, including the proposed redevelopment of Royal Brunswick Park in the London Borough of Barnet.
- Advising Saracens Rugby Club on planning aspects of the redevelopment of its stadium in the green belt of North London.
- Advising Southend United Football Club on all planning and development matters relating to its new stadium, as well as a new training ground, hotel, residential blocks, and adjacent retail plaza and cinema complex.
- Advising R & F Properties on all planning, infrastructure and CIL related matters across three major development sites purchased by the client.
A key development for the Blake Morgan LLP planning team saw an uptick of instructions received by utilities companies and airport operators to handle a number of infrastructure and expansion projects respectively. The team is currently acting for the developers of a number of build-to-rent schemes as well as enjoying a steady diet of residential and mixed-use development projects in London and rural areas. Recent contentious issues involved both appeals against planning permission refusals and planning proposal objections that conflict with clients' interests. Senior associate Keith Lancaster is highly praised by clients for assisting on a broad range of issues including highways agreements and matters pertaining to CIL.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent team.‘
‘Has a very valuable in-depth knowledge of the planning system.‘
‘Excellent attention to detail with an ability to make the most complex case seem simple to clients. Very good client care.‘
‘The team at Blake Morgan is head and shoulders above the others.‘
‘Keith Lancaster is an excellent technical lawyer who will nail his colours to the mast to make important decisions.‘
‘The team provides a very responsive, approachable and competitive service.‘
Welsh Ambulance Service
Renewal Group Ltd
London Luton Airport Operations Ltd (Luton Airport)
Southern Water plc
Tidal Lagoon Power Ltd
Swansea City Council
Agudas Israel Housing Association
Bedfordshire Pilgrims HA
St Modwen Properties
Sutton and East Surrey Water
Milford Haven Port Authority
London Oxford Airport
Victoria Land Limited
Beachcroft Developments Ltd
- Appointed to act for the Welsh Ambulance Service to represent their interests in the Wylfa Nuclear Power Station DCO project.
- Acting for Renewal Group concerning the £1bn New Bermondsey regeneration scheme in south London.
- Represented Cooper Estates Limited in the defence of a village green application.
- Ongoing instruction by Peabody in relation to the £1.5bn regeneration in Thamesmead.
- Advising a client on their development of 155 new residential units and a new football stadium.
The planning team at Charles Russell Speechlys LLP has recently enjoyed a solid flow of London-based mixed-use development and regeneration projects for an expanding client base of commercial clients, developers, property managers, and housebuilders. Claire Fallows has niche expertise with handling the challenges facing the retirement living space with a number of major new projects included on the mandate portfolio. Helen Hutton has significant experience in the field of hydrocarbon planning. A significant client, the Church Commissioners for England, has instructed the team on a wide suite of matters that have encompassed urban extensions and garden village projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team’s advice is consistent and clear.‘
‘The team provides an interesting approach to difficult situations and is very responsive to client’s problems.‘
‘Claire Fallows is extremely responsive to the challenges of the planning market.‘
The Church Commissioners for England
Howard de Walden Estates Limited
All England Lawn Tennis Club
Bellway Homes Limited
Europa Oil and Gas
Greenwich Millennium Villages Limited
- Acting for the Ashford Great Park Partnership (owned by the Church Commissioners) on the residential and commercial development of its landholdings in Ashford.
- Assisted ITV with obtaining planning permission for the mixed-use redevelopment of its headquarters on London’s South Bank.
- Advising on numerous strategic sites across the Church Commissioners’ portfolio including substantial urban extensions in Hereford, Ely and Arun.
- Advising Greenwich Millennium Village Limited on the development of a new 1,750 home community development on the Greenwich peninsula.
- Advising This is Gravity Limited on complex planning, CPO and environmental issues in relation to a large-scale development site.
A considerable number of market-leading housebuilders often instruct the DAC Beachcroft LLP planning team on complex housing-led regeneration schemes and garden village developments. The client list also includes hospitals, universities and Royal Mail, for which the team are instructed to handle a number of key redevelopment projects. Expertise with public bodies includes advising a number of local authorities on their CPO applications for new hotel and leisure developments as well as providing assistance to landowner and institutions on the CPO powers of HS2. Recent contentious work involved promoting planning objections in the High Court.
‘DAC Beachcroft provides good strategic advice, a range of good contacts, a commercial yet engaging manner for dealing with planning authorities, and an efficient and effective section 106 process.‘
‘The lawyers at DAC Beachcroft are very positive and solutions-focused when dealing with a range of complex issues.‘
Heathrow Hub Limited
Baroness Cumberlege of Newick
University College London Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Advising Heathrow Hub Limited on planning, environment and compulsory purchase matters as well as the DCO processes relating to its innovative proposals at Heathrow.
Farrer & Co has enjoyed robust growth to its client roster, with commercial entities, charities and professional bodies instructing the planning team on redevelopment proposal applications, relocation exercises, CPO applications advice, and mixed-use development projects. Contentious work encompasses judicial review claims on behalf of landowners and a recent objection to a development affecting an Area of Outstanding Beauty. Practice head Karen Phull offers planning advice on commercial transactions for the firm’s corporate clients. The team also acts for high-net-worth individuals on mandates including property acquisitions and development proposals in conservation areas.
‘The team has the ability to understand the particular needs of its clients and provides practical advice when needed.‘
‘An established and capable team in all aspects of property law.‘
‘Knowledgeable, experienced, approachable, and friendly.‘
‘Provides top-class advice.‘
‘Karen Phull is always a pleasure to deal with.‘
The Royal College of Surgeons
The Burghley Estate
- Advising the British Library on the planning aspects of its highly publicised St Pancras development, including planning policies, the development agreement and the impact of Crossrail 2.
- Representing the Burghley Estate on a range of planning issues connected with the development of several strategic sites near Peterborough.
- Advising the Royal College of Surgeons of England on planning issues connected with Project 2020, the high-profile redevelopment of its central London site.
- Advising Porcelanosa, a Spanish manufacturer of ceramic tiles, in connection with the compulsory purchase of its Croydon store for planned highway improvements, including planning consultation responses to Transport for London.
- Ongoing advice to the Duchy of Cornwall on all planning issues connected with the ongoing development of the Poundbury urban community at Dorchester.
Forsters LLP's planning practice head, Victoria Du Croz, specialises in the full range of planning issues, from section 106 agreements, CIL advice and site acquisitions, to niche areas such as Special Protection Area issues and public rights of way compliance. Current high-profile work includes the provision of mixed-use developments and redevelopments in central London, obtaining planning consent for build-to-rent schemes, and complex site acquisition due diligence. The practice regularly receives planning strategy instructions from the firm’s significant high-net-worth individual client base. Recent contentious work involves planning refusal appeals and advising on planning objections. Senior associate Matthew Evans, who led on a number of residential-led regeneration schemes, is the other key contact in the practice.
Victoria Du Croz
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely knowledgeable and not afraid to make suggestions and recommendations which lead to pragmatic, commercial solutions.‘
‘Provides excellent advice throughout the planning process.‘
‘Knowledgeable and diligent.‘
‘Victotria Du Croz is diligent, thorough and provides personal engagement throughout a case.‘
‘Matthew Evans is very knowledgeable, pragmatic and commercial. He communicates in a timely, straightforward manner.‘
‘Matthew Evans has commercial nous and Alice Gordon-Finlayson is hard working.‘
British Airways Pension Fund
Mayfair Neighbourhood Forum
- Advising LBS Properties on the redevelopment of 225 Marsh Wall.
- Instructed by Menta Redrow to negotiate the section 106 agreement for the delivery of 445 residential units and flexible commercial space on land off Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon.
- Ongoing advice to Aitch Group concerning its London portfolio.
- Instructed by British Airways Pension Fund to carry out a legal audit prior to submission of the planning application for the redevelopment of the ‘Ugly Brown Building’ in the London Borough of Camden.
- Instructed by Consolidated Developments to ensure the timely delivery of their scheme at St Giles in the West End.
Howard Kennedy LLP’s planning and environment team advises a modest roster of private sector clients on complex redevelopment projects, handling all relevant issues including CPO applications, highway orders, section 106 agreements, affordable housing considerations, and environmental planning compliance. Assisting with the planning considerations of commercial real estate is another field of expertise, which includes complex due diligence instructions and strategic risk mitigation advice. Recent contentious work involved planning permission refusal objections and handling breach of planning enforcement actions.
Galliard Homes Limited
McGrath Bros Waste Control (Hackney) Limited
City and Docklands Property Group
- Advised a joint venture between Galliard and O’Shea on all aspects of a planning application for the redevelopment of 3-13 Hepscott Road, London.
- Provided strategic planning advice on all aspects of Dar Plus’ planning application for the redevelopment of 150 Holborn into the modern key commercial offices that will be its HQ in London.
- Providing strategic and highways advice to the City and Docklands Property Group on one of their development sites in North Acton.
- Provided gym brand Kobox with strategic planning legal advice to protect against a planning enforcement action.
K&L Gates LLP
Feroze Abbas leads the planning offering at K&L Gates LLP with solid support from senior associate Rebecca Daniels. Together they provide strength in handling regeneration projects for a range of public and commercial clients. Recent work saw the team advising local authorities on high-value redevelopment projects (including build-to-rent schemes), advising on highway agreements, CIL issues, and section 106 negotiations. Mixed-use commercial and residential development projects for private sector clients are another strong point for the team. The practice handles contentious issues for clients when they arise, with instructions commonly involving the defence of judicially-reviewed planning permission objections. Clients in the hotel and leisure sector are also counted on the roster, with recent issues pertaining to the delivery of luxury hotel developments in London and the associated rights to light and section 106 negotiations involved.
Other key lawyers:
‘The work and advice from this practice is to an exceptional standard.‘
‘The team is relatively small but are extremely friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and always happy to help.‘
‘Has the commercial knowledge to ensure planning agreements are reasonable and workable for all parties while achieving the best outcome and maximum security for clients.‘
‘A highly skilled, professional and efficient team of lawyers.‘
‘Feroze Abbas draws on his extensive and diverse experience to offer thoughtful and clear planning advice.‘
‘Feroze Abbas and Rebecca Daniels are extremely friendly, approachable, very knowledgeable and extremely reliable.‘
‘Feroze Abbas has an excellent knowledge of planning law, is personal and gets to the heart of an issue quickly.‘
‘Rebecca Daniels has a great knowledge of planning law and is friendly and approachable.‘
‘Feroze Abbas and Rebecca Daniels both provide creative solutions to complex issues and deal with enquiries and correspondence quickly and efficiently.‘
Transport for London
London Borough of Hounslow
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
Nuveen Real Estate
Qatari Free Zone Authority
Z Hotels Limited
Loxley Homes Ltd
London Borough of Croydon
- Advising the London Borough of Hounslow on the development of an interconnected arts centre and 105 unit residential site.
- Ongoing advice to the London Borough of Hounslow concerning the the redevelopment of the Sky Campus headquarters of media giant Sky.
- Providing strategic advice to Transport for London concerning a new Thames river crossing between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Advising Workspace Group on the redevelopment of the mixed-use Chocolate Factory site in Haringey.
- Advising Nuveen Real Estate on the high-profile 1,000,000 sq ft skyline development of 40 Leadenhall Street.
Mishcon de Reya LLP has a number of residential-led urban extensions and mixed-use developments on its current work portfolio, to which the team lends expertise in CIL matters, section 106 negotiations, highways agreements, environmental statements, and all other planning matters. The team also advises on hotel developments, estate restoration projects, retirement home developments, and planning matters for high-net-worth individuals. Contentious issues include challenges to CPO applications, local authority code of conduct matters, and property amalgamation cases (including a successful recent appeal in the London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea). Practice head, Anita Rivera, and Daniel Farrand also advise on build-to-rent schemes, affordable housing viability, and student housing schemes.
Other key lawyers:
‘A really friendly team with excellent people at all levels.‘
‘An excellent firm, offering an outstanding combination of legal excellence and client focus.‘
‘A very strong team.‘
‘Approachable, flexible, persistent, determined, thorough, highly experienced, and calm.‘
‘Anita Rivera is excellent in every way.‘
‘Daniel Farrand is super motivated and very good on detail.‘
‘Anita Rivera is extremely focused and engaged.‘
‘Anita Rivera is a joy to work with.‘
QDD Athletes Village UK
Capital & Counties Properties
Canary Wharf Group
The Office Group
Chelsea Green Hotels Limited
Canopy Property Management Limited
Prudential Insurance Company of America
Bourne Capital Limited
Midcity Investments Limited
Limos Private Family Office
Affinity Global Real Estate
Matterhorn Capital Limited
Purplexed LLP – (U+I’s subsidiary for the Old Vinyl Factory development)
- Advising Gaterule Limited on the planning aspects of a mixed-use development in Southwark consisting of 200 residential units.
- Advising on planning matters across O&H Properties’ development portfolio.
- Advised Auriens on a development comprising 55 luxury retirement living apartments.
- Advising Seaforth Land on planning strategy and the negotiation of a section 106 agreement to secure a mixed-use development scheme at Bleeding Heart Yard.
- Advising the joint venture vehicle QDD on the planning aspects of the acquisition and forward funding of the Lewisham Gateway development.
Richard Max & Co
As London’s longest-established planning boutique, Richard Max & Co has an established reputation among its diverse client list, comprising large commercial developers, landowners, football clubs (including Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham), and private clients. Expertise on the non-contentious side includes high-value redevelopment projects (including retail parks, stadiums and commercial spaces), CPO promotions, CPO compensation claims, and residential-led regeneration schemes. Name partner Richard Max and 'exceptional' practice co-head, David Warman, also provide a strong contentious offering which encompasses planning permission appeals by statutory challenge, public inquiries, High Court litigation instructions, and judicial review challenges to planning permission refusals. The firm often handles contentious planning issues for high-profile individuals including the highly publicised 'stripy house' case in Kensington.
Richard Max; David Warman
‘Richard Max and David Warman are incredibly knowledgeable, very pleasant to deal with and excellent company.‘
‘A small but professional and attentive team of professionals who know their stuff.‘
‘Richard Max & Co provides excellent advice to a range of clients and has a very high reputation on the planning field.‘
‘Outstanding client focus and top-drawer legal advice.‘
‘A dedicated and knowledgeable team.‘
‘Richard Max is that rare beast; a planning lawyer who not only knows his stuff backwards but also completely understands the commercial realities of the situation and tailors his advice accordingly.‘
‘David Warman is unflappable; he works tirelessly for the right result and is extremely pleasant to deal with.‘
‘Richard Max is tenacious and always clearly determined to win for his client.‘
‘The firm has exceptional specialist knowledge in the advertising side of planning law.‘
‘Holds its own with the big city planning firms.‘
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
Fulham Football Club
Royal Horticultural Society
Galliard Homes/Aviva Investors
Balliol College Oxford
Shaftesbury Homes and Arethusa
Bates Wells Braithwaite
The Wings Museum
St Paul’s School
Ms Judy Cramer
- Advising Tottenham Hotspur Football Club on ongoing extensions and changes to its leading Training Facility in the green belt in Enfield.
- Advising on the redevelopment of Fulham Football Club’s training centre at Motspur Park.
- Assisting Shaftesbury Homes and Arethusa on the section 106 agreement for the development of 63 dwellings in Medway.
- Advising Galliard Homes and Aviva Investors on the £600m redevelopment of Cantium Retail Park on the Old Kent Road to provide 1100 new homes and a 48 storey tower.
- Advising Balliol College Oxford on the redevelopment of Balliol College’s Sports Ground in Oxford.
Local authorities comprise the bulk of Sharpe Pritchard LLP’s planning clients, who instruct the team on major regeneration projects in London and nationwide. Co-heads Denise Stephenson's and Brian Hurwitz’s expertise encompasses the full range of planning matters such as section 106 negotiations, CPO applications, affordable housing and environmental law compliance, and complex issues involving developments on greenfield and NSIP sites. The practice has a particularly strong contentious offering, often being involved in public inquiries, judicial reviews, planning challenges and planning appeals, most notably representing newly acquired client Historic England in issues pertaining to World Heritage Sites.
Brian Hurwitz; Denise Stephenson; Alastair Lewis
‘A great, diverse team.‘
‘Efficient, very pleasant to work with and knowledgeable.‘
‘Brian Hurwitz is particularly knowledgeable in planning matters with a sharp focus on detail.‘
The National Trust
London Borough of Merton
Royal Borough of Greenwich
London Borough of Lambeth
Nottinghamshire County Council
Trafford Borough Council
London Borough of Redbridge
Hertfordshire County Council
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- Acting on behalf of Trafford Borough Council on the section 106 agreement for the Trafford Waters site.
- Advising the Royal Borough of Greenwich on an estate regeneration CPO for three housing estates.
- Acting for Herefordshire County Council in the acquisition by agreement or compulsory purchase of land and rights required for the construction of a link road to the south of the City of Hereford.
- Acted for Historic England in respect of two appeals impacting the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site.
- Handled a section 38 highways agreement for Hertfordshire County Council.
Real estate practice head, Jonathon Wilkes, now handles Stephenson Harwood’s planning mandates following the departure of Ben Stansfield to Gowling WLG. Cited expertise includes DCO applications for energy projects, CPO applications for redevelopment projects, and a number of urban regeneration schemes. Contentious mandates include handling an HS2 planning objection on behalf of a hospitality group.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP has a solid list of private developers and a number of public bodies on its client roster for which the team handles a diverse range of planning projects. The team is particularly active in promoting CPOs for the delivery of major regeneration, urban extension and mixed-use development schemes, with niche expertise in managing mixed-tenure mandates for housing associations and local authorities. Jacqueline Backhaus advises on all aspects of the development process, from CIL and section 106 negotiations to highways agreements, use-class issues, and assisting with public inquiries. Recent contentious highlights included successfully appealing planning permission denials for the Education and Skills Funding Agency.
Hermes Property Unit Trust
Clarion Housing Group
- Acted for Meyer Homes on the redevelopment of the Hounslow Place mixed-use scheme of 293 residential units and a flexible commercial space.
- Advised Clarion Housing Group on a significant regeneration programme in the London Borough of Merton.
- Advising the London Borough of Enfield on all aspects of the Meridian Water regeneration project.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP
Watson Farley & Williams LLP provides an integrated planning and EHS offering which is well placed to offer relevant planning advice to the firm’s large scale commercial transactions. Particular sector specialisms include commercial property, renewables (including big ticket offshore wind projects), infrastructure, and oil and gas. Typical advice involves onshore and offshore consents, Habitat Regulations Assessments, CPO applications, risk mitigation, and providing defence work in regulatory enforcements and prosecutions. Stand-alone clients also instruct the team on the planning aspects of site acquisitions and subsequent development programmes, with advice encompassing section 106 applications, CIL and scheme amendments.
Ropemaker Properties Limited
BP Pension Fund
SMT Holding SA
Frasers Centrepoint Limited
Crossmark Developments Limited
- Advised on the planning and environment aspects or Burbo Extention’s £193m sale of transmission assets.
- Advised on the planning aspects of Aban Singapore’s 100% acquisition of two oil and gas blocks in the UK North Sea.
- Handled planning and environment due diligence for Wielton’s acquisition of the entire issued share capital of manufacturer Lawrence David Limited.
- Gave detailed advice to Billy + Margot on a number of contentious areas of planning law concerning its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Benyfit Natural Pet Food Limited.
- Advising Rheinmetall Group on its joint venture agreement with BAE Systems to create a joint UK-based military vehicle design, manufacturing and support business.
Asserson Law Offices
Asserson Law Offices’ planning team is a trusted advisor to a core client base of local and international development companies, investors and high-net-worth individuals. Daniel Drukarz leads the team on a broad range of mandates including housing-led regeneration schemes throughout the UK, tall-building projects, commercial redevelopment and expansion projects, and planning objections by way of judicial review and other contentious matters. The firm's client base of international investors and family offices often call on the team to handle the planning aspects of property acquisitions and other transactions, on which the team handles the due diligence, option agreements and other planning documentation transfers.
City and Docklands Property Group
Countryside Properties plc
ITC Properties Group
Old Kent Road Regeneration Limited
Public Sector (PSP)
SD Investments & Management
- Achieved a number of major private sector planning consents for Aurora Developments in the Old Oak Common regeneration zone.
- Advised Chinese developer ABP on the planning aspects of its £1.7bn investment in the Royal Albert Dock project.
- Assisted City and Docklands Group with the planning application and section 106 agreement for a series of build-to-rent development schemes in the Old Oak Common regeneration zone.
- Assisting Countryside Properties with the development proposal for a 3,500 homes and school development in South Cambridgeshire.
- Assisting Galliard Homes with negotiation a section 106 agreement with the London Legacy Development Corporation and the London Borough of Newham for a 40-storey residential-led development near the Olympic Stadium worth £125m.
Real estate boutique Davitt Jones Bould offers planning expertise to a client base which largely consists of local authorities and other public bodies across the UK. Expertise includes handing CPO applications for mid-tier regeneration schemes, housing and mixed-use developments, and highway projects. The team is able to guide clients through the section 106 negotiation process, assisting with any relevant complications. The key planning contacts are Robin de Wreede and John Qualtrough.
‘Provides a pragmatic and commercial approach.‘
Bath and North East Somerset Council
North Somerset Council
The Royal Parks
Woking Borough Council
Slough Borough Council
Minerva Smart Cities
Care Quality Commission
Treehouse Educare Ltd
- Advising Woking Borough Council on the CPO for the regeneration of Sheerwater in Surrey.
- Advising The Royal Parks on the development of the London Cycle Superhighway across Hyde Park, St James Park, and surrounding areas.
DLA Piper UK LLP’s planning offering is headed by Birmingham-based Trevor Ivory, who handles strategic development projects, planning appeals, and judicial review applications for the firm’s commercial clients. Cited expertise includes urban and city centre redevelopment projects, commercial office developments, mixed-use properties, and lifestyle centre developments. CPO applications and environmental impact assessments are also handled by the team.
Fieldfisher has expanded its planning capabilities and now enjoys a diverse range of mandates from commercial clients and housebuilders. Mid-scale regeneration and mixed-use schemes are regular instructions, however the team is also experiencing growth in the infrastructure side of the practice, with Yohanna Weber advising on a number of DCOs for mid-scale energy projects throughout the UK. John Bowman leads the practice, with further instructions involving section 106 applications for redevelopment projects, highways agreements, and planning advice pertaining to acquisitions and other transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘A responsive, capable and very personable team with a mixture of young and experienced professionals.‘
‘The team goes beyond what’s expected to ensure it delivers.‘
Cambridge Medipark Limited
Akzo Nobel UK Limited
Estates and Infrastructure Exchange
S&J Padfield & Partners
Liberty Property Trust
- Advising on DCOs for two energy-from-waste NSIPs in Kent, 42mw and 75mw respectively.
- Advising on the planning application for a 700-property mixed-use scheme in North Stafford.
- Advising on a planning application for a new settlement at Long Marston Airfield.
- Advising on the development of 135 new homes on land at Myton Green in Warwick
- Advising on the planning aspects of over 800,000 sq ft of further development at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus.
Fladgate LLP’s planning team advises on mid-range section 106 applications for commercial property and mixed-used developments, with a number of recent matters involving change-of-use issues in the hotel and leisure sector. Practice head Mark Harnett is regularly advising on the planning aspects of site acquisitions including right to light issues, negotiations with the relevant local authorities, and handling appeals against planning permission refusals when they arise. The team also counts a number of high-net-worth individuals on the client list, with instructions pertaining to planning applications for significant private dwellings.
‘Mark Harnett always works to his client’s interests in an honest and fair way.‘
Manhattan Loft Gardens
Luxx – Buckingham Gate
Cheshunt Lakeside Developments
- Advising Hodson Developments on reserved matters applications and associated infrastructure agreements for a substantial residential development at Chilmington Green, Ashford.
- Advising Manhattan Loft Gardens in connection with the development of a 42-storey building with a hotel at ground to 6th floor, 400 flats and retail/restaurant floor space.
- Advising on the planning aspects of Luxx’s acquisition of shares in Buckingham Gate Estates Ltd, which owned the freehold of 22–28 Buckingham Gate London.
- Advising Frontdoor Properties on the redevelopment of land at Kingston Road, Teddington to provide a three-storey mixed-use building.
- Advising Cheshunt Lakeside on a planning application and section 106 agreement for the re-development of the former Tesco Head Office in Cheshunt
The planning and environmental team at Freeths LLP handles complex residential-led and mixed-use developments for a modest list of local authorities, advising on all relevant issues including section 106 negotiations, highways agreements, rights of way issues, and CIL. Commercial clients instruct the team to represent their interest in judicial review proceedings, with recent successes in both defending and challenging planning decisions in the High Court. Practice head Robert Bruce also advises on CPO compensation claims and other contentious issues.
‘Provides prompt and thorough legal advice.‘
Nottinghamshire County Council Pension Fund & Aberdeen Standard Life
Stein Management Limited
Milton Keynes Development Partnership
Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council
Urban & Civic
- Advising Stein Management on an application for a 3,200 home mixed-use development in Nottingham.
- Handled Travis Perkins’ judicial review claim against Grosvenor Estates’ planning permission approval by Westminster City Council for the demolition of a non-designated heritage asset in a conservation area.
- Advising Aldi on how to obtain planning permission and mitigate the legal risk following a High Court challenge by Co-op Food to a new Aldi store in Highworth, Swindon.
- Represented the NHS in a multi-million pound CPO compensation claim in the Upper Tribunal.
- Advising Urban & Civic on a complex redevelopment application crossing multiple boroughs.
Mixed-use regeneration schemes are a strong point for the team at Irwin Mitchell, with advice spanning all aspects of the planning process including section 106 negotiations, viability reports, affordable housing requirements, and brownfield land regulations. Practice head Carl Dyer has particular expertise with mixed-use and residential-led schemes, developments in the education sector, and retirement living projects. The team advises on high-end residential developments in central London and provides planning-specific expertise on financing agreements and portfolio acquisitions. James Pavey focuses on contentious planning work including planning appeals and statutory inquiries in the High Court.
Other key lawyers:
One Lansdowne Road Limited
Lashbrook Properties Limited
Henry Boot Developers Limited
- Negotiated the section 106 agreement for a £68m flagship regeneration scheme in Trafford.
- Provided CIL advice and negotiated the section 106 agreement for the £600m One Lansdowne Road flagship regeneration scheme in Croydon.
- Negotiated and drafted a section 278 highway agreement deed of variation for Landlink Estates.
- Negotiated a section 106 planning agreement for Lashbrook Properties’ residential development.
- Negotiated and settled the section 106 agreement for Henry Boot Developers’ residential development.
The client list for Keystone Law’s planning practice comprises developers, local authorities and high-net-worth individuals, who instruct the team on a range of planning mandates. The team is particularly active in planning disputes, with expertise in promoting planning refusal appeals as well as promoting planning permission appeals in defence of client's interests by way of judicial review. Mixed-use redevelopment schemes and site acquisitions (including green belt property) are strong points for the non-contentious side of the practice, with Ben Garbett offering expertise on all stages of the planning and transactional processes.
Russell-Cooke LLP regularly advises private sector clients on their residential-led development schemes in London and throughout the UK. Alex Ground provides the full spectrum of assistance on planning issues such as section 106 applications, CIL, highways agreements, CPO compensation advice, and office-to-residential conversions. The team has a strong contentious offering, with experience acting on planning appeals, enforcement appeals, judicial reviews, and High Court challenges. Clients are drawn from a broad range of sectors including retail, residential development, student accommodation, and private individuals.
‘Russell-Cooke provides an excellent balance of specialist planning law knowledge and personable and approachable lawyers who are helpful and extremely professional.‘
Perenco UK Limited
Woodcock Holdings Limited
Newable Property Developments Limited
Copperwood Developments Limited
Graham Oates Associates
Fairfax Acquisitions Limited
The Gym Group
Pret A Manger
Dexters London Limited
Imperial London Hotels
Westminster Roman Catholic Diocese
Countrywide Developments Limited
- Advised Perenco UK Limited on multiple planning applications to extend the operational life of its oil field at Wytch Farm Dorset.
- Representing Copperwood Developments Limited on all planning aspects associated with a proposed residential scheme of 154 units near Guildford.
- Advising Goldcrest Land Limited on the redevelopment of an industrial workshop site in Wimbledon Park.
- Advising Fairfax Acquisitions Limited on four residential-led schemes in Wealdon District, with environmental implications.
- Providing Newable Property Development Limited with advice on the compulsory acquisition of its land associated with the proposed Silvertown Tunnel.
Shoosmiths LLP’s planning practice provides the full spectrum of advice to a roster of public and private sector clients. Regular mandates involve urban regeneration schemes, mixed-use development projects, build-to-rent schemes, and other residential-led schemes. The team also promotes CPOs on behalf of local authorities for their regeneration programmes. Karen Howard, previously of DLA Piper, has joined the team.
Richard Keczkes of Slaughter and May provides strategic planning advice on large-scale commercial developments and acquisitions for the firm’s corporate clients. Mandates in the energy and infrastructure sectors include the construction of offshore windfarms, corporate acquisitions in the oil and gas sector, and advice on the provision of utilities infrastructure. The team has a solid reputation in the sport sector, having advised on a number of football stadium redevelopment projects. Further mandates include a number of London-based urban developments and mid-scale housing developments across the southeast of England.
‘There’s a depth and breadth of knowledge throughout the whole team.‘
‘Attentive, intelligent, thorough and responsive to client’s requirements.‘
‘Richard Keczkes’ breadth of knowledge and experience is exceptional. He always acts with promptness and is highly competent.‘
Cardinal Lysander Group
Essex County Council
Halsbury Homes Group
Ørsted (formerly DONG Energy)
United Utilities Group
Wren House Infrastructure Management Limited
- Advising Everton FC on an ongoing basis on its planning strategy and planning applications in connection with its move from Goodison Park to a new, larger stadium at Bramley Moore Dock.
- Advised the Cardinal Lysander Group in connection with the redevelopment of its Axis site in Birmingham and related compulsory purchase proceedings.
- Advised Derwent London in connection with its 285,000 sq ft over-station development above Tottenham Court Road Crossrail Station.
- Ongoing advice to London Resort Company Holdings in connection with the proposed London Entertainment Resort on the Swanscombe Peninsula, Kent.
- Advised Halsbury Homes Group in connection with its development of a number of medium to large housing developments in the southeast of England.