Employment in Lithuania
Cobalt assists international clients with a broad cross-section of employment matters, under the leadership of team head Dalia Foigt-Norvaišienė. The practice covers advice on employment contracts, termination of employment and cross border transactions, among other areas. Foigt-Norvaišienė advises Ryanair on issues such as the forms and types of employment contracts, working time and rest time regulations, and salary provision. Senior associate Jovita Valatkaitė has experience of assisting clients with redundancies and restructurings.
- Provide Western Union with ongoing advice on complex employment law issues connected with the operation of a local subsidiary (data centre) of the client.
- Assisted Bayer with the preparation and adoption of a new employee remuneration and bonus system.
- Advised CITCO on employment issues associated with the international assignments of Lithuanian employees in another EU jurisdiction.
Ellex 'definitely plays in its own league', particularly in sectors such as aviation, IT and energy, where it advises foreign investors (which form the bulk of its clients) on employment matters. The 'exceptional' Ramunas Petravicius, who leads the team, is experienced in labour disputes and also advises on reorganisations. Rimantas Stanevicius, who has 15 years of experience, is also highly recommended. Associate Nerijus Patlabys advises clients on employee transfers and executive compensation, among many other areas.
‘Ellex definitely plays in its own league. In my opinion, many try to emulate Ellex, but nobody will in the near future’
‘Ramunas Petravicius and Rimantas Stanevicius have both been very active in providing proposals and commenting on labour regulation in the last 10-20 years. They both contributed consistent and considerable input during the preparation and legislation of the newly established Labour Code in Lithuania in 2017. Since then, they are active in providing support for the companies in adapting to the new regulation and commenting on the additional required amendments. Both Ramunas and Rimantas are exceptional professionals, with an eye to detail and also wide scope.’
Circle K Lietuva
- Assisted Circle K Lietuva with a spin-off in Lithuania, which included advice on employment issues.
- Advised Trustpilot on the introduction of a whistleblower protection scheme.
- Advised ECE Projektmanagement (a company engaged in developing, building and management large commercial properties) on the closure of its Lithuanian entity and withdrawal from the local market. This included advice on the dismissal of employees.
Employment law is one of the main strengths at iLAW, which assists clients with labour disputes, health and safety issues and the employment of foreign workers. Managing partner Tomas Bagdanskis jointly leads the team with Vilius Maciulaitis and Mantas Mikalopas. The firm gained senior associate Ramune Guobaite-Kirsliene, former advisor to the President of Lithuania, in September 2019. Guobaite-Kirsliene has experience of labour relations and remuneration matters.
Tomas Bagdanskis; Vilius Maciulaitis; Mantas Mikalopas
‘iLaw are specialists in employment’
AQ Wiring Systems
- Represented a state institution for the education of disabled persons and won a case regarding dismissal of an employee for serious violation of job duties.
Sorainen's employment practice comprises of 'high profile professionals', whose expertise in complex issues ensures that the firm generates a strong flow of work. The team is co-led by Algirdas Pekšys and senior associate Agnietė Venckienė. Pekšys has experience of assisting international businesses with their entry into the Lithuanian market. Venckienė, who has a 'deep knowledge of employment law', handles cross border employment work, such as business exits and organisational restructurings. Senior associate Jurgita Karvelė, who is 'one of the strongest assets at the firm', is a name to note for employment disputes.
Algirdas Pekšys; Agnietė Venckienė
‘Dealing with employment law matters or case representation Sorainen is the prime team to reach with. As a team they have a vast experience and acts as subject experts: when it is needed they engage financial consultants or other partners of relevant fields in order to create a holistic view, assess situation and reach the best outcome to the business, including urgent ad-hoc situations. Having said that, team always covers local laws, local court practices and EU directive regulations knowledge and this is exceptionally high level professionalism at single contact point, which might be a challenge to achieve having in-house legal only.’
‘Undoubtedly the team’s strengths are its experts, who are very professional and trustworthy.’
‘We dealt with an employment matter which concerned all Baltic States – Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The team provided “one stop” assistance with respect to all these countries.’
‘The team consists of high profile professionals specializing in different fields of employment law. Each of them has valuable experience and the interaction between specialists is very efficient.’
‘I would highly recommend senior associate Agnietė Venckienė for employment-related matters concerning business changes, transfers and transformations.’
‘The Sorainen team is currently representing us in a good deal of employment related disputes. We are mostly in contact with senior associate Jurgita Karvelė and associate Juliana Pavilovska. Jurgita Karvelė is one of the strongest assets at the firm and is skilled in forming arguments which are very useful in court. She is also very client-oriented, easy to communicate with always thinks a few steps ahead. I personally enjoy working with Jurgita very much. We find her creative approach to complicated situations very beneficial.’
‘Juliana Pavilovska is demonstrates the highest qualification in employment law and wonderful communication skills with us and with our opponents.’
‘Agnietė Venckienė is an excellent professional, with deep knowledge of employment law. She knows not only the laws but relevant court practice as well and always able to provide good solutions to the client. Her advice is always professional, detailed, clear and well-structured.’
‘Mr. Algirdas Pekšys, Partner. We were very happy with his approach.’
PKC Group Lithuania
Wizz Air Hungary
- Advised Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) on contracting Swiss-based ALSO Holding to run its sales and services business in Lithuania, Ukraine and Belarus.
- Advised Wizz Air on transforming the employment relations of its Lithuanian-base employees from Hungarian legal framework to Lithuanian legal framework.
- Advised Bitė Lietuva, a leading telecommunications company in Lithuania, on implementing a new employee motivation system. Under the new system Bitė will put an extra €250,000 each year towards the third-step pension savings accounts of their employees.
Deloitte Legal, Professional Partnership of Advocates
Managing partner Tomas Davidonis and managing associate Gintare Stoniene lead Deloitte Legal, Professional Partnership of Advocates' practice, which covers a full range of employment and immigration law issues for Lithuanian and international companies. Davidonis is noted for providing advice to domestic and foreign companies on reorganisations and restructurings. In one key mandate, Davidonis, Stoniene and senior associate Gintė Šimkevičiūtė advised Continental on employees' relocation models relating to the company's first manufacturing plant in Lithuania.
Tomas Davidonis; Gintare Stoniene
‘We have been working with the team since 2013. It is very professional, fast and exact. Compared with some other international law firms, their services are the best.’
‘Great personal working relationships on all levels of communications. Sustainability in all processes. Stable team and same responsible people from the beginning of our communication. Attention to the personal details.’
Lithuanian National Radio and Television
American International School of Vilnius
- Advised TECE Baltikum on employment conditions and performance agreements for the CEO of the company in Lithuania, Russia and Belarus.
- Advised Roche Lietuva on migration law issues for the top management and their family members, as well as advising on relocations model.
- Providing full scope of migration law services to Oracle, including specialized advisory on employees’ relocation model in Lithuania.
ECOVIS ProventusLaw's team is 'really professional' and possesses 'deep knowledge about employment law'. The 'exceptional' Loreta Andziulytė, who heads up the practice, advised Pyrros Lithuania (a financial institution with an electronic money institution licence) on various employment and taxation issues. Senior associate Brigida Bacienė is experienced in advising employers on unfair competition matters involving existing and former employees.
‘They are always prompt and on track. There are no words such as “delayed”, “inaccurate” or “messy” in their practice. They are able to provide the precise, qualified and professional legal advice any time and this is considered to be regular practice.’
‘Ecovis ProventusLaw is a reliable firm, which specialises in labour law. They understand our needs.’
‘Ecovis ProventusLaw has been practising in the employment arena for many years, so there are no doubts that the team is really professional and has deep knowledge. We would recommend Ecovis ProventusLaw as a very strong law firm in representing clients in disputes concerning employment relationships, in assessing the risks and opportunities when the laws are changed, in providing the strategic employment advice to companies top management as well as in ensuring that all personnel policies comply with Lithuanian labour laws and meet employees concerns.’
‘Loreta Andziulyte is an exceptional lawyer on employment law matters.’
‘ECOVIS ProventusLaw Senior Associate Brigida Bacienė has proven her valuable experience by overseeing our business from the legal side. Our company has lots of day-to-day situations related to employment law, so we appreciate Brigida’s constant assistance. She is extremely observant and is able to notice every dot which would make the situation in our business favour.’
‘Loreta Andziulyte has very strong skills in negotiations, and she can participate in the most difficult and challenging negotiations between employer and employees. Furthermore, Brigida Baciene is known for her dedicated work and great knowledge in the employment and data protection practice areas. We would recommend Brigida because of her punctuality, ability to notice all important details and ability to provide the most valuable strategy or advice.’
Poland Representative Office
- Advised ZEN.com on implementing changes in the internal structure of the company. The firm also analysed the requirements of Polish tax and employment regulations, as the company wanted to hire Polish employees, and aligned it together with Lithuanian tax and employment law requirements.
- Advised Glocash Payments on a remote employment agreement concerning the client’s employees in China.
- Advised Phoenix Payments on employment and specific taxation issues, including residence permit leases.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)'s employment practice, which is noted for its broad sector expertise, is led by Jonas Saladžius. Working with Rimtis Puišys, Saladžius advised AON Baltic on the application of the Transfers of Undertakings Directive in Lithuania, and also employment terminations resulting from a cross-border merger, among other matters. Another notable individual is senior associate Neringa Bubnaityte, who assists clients with human resources issues, as well as international business transfers.
- Advised AON Baltic on the application of the Transfers of Undertakings Directive 2001/23/EC in Lithuania and employment aspects of a cross-border merger.
- Advised Komfovent on the terms and conditions of employment of the managing director of one of its group companies.
- Worked with Oracle East Central Europe and provided overall hands-on support in relation to the elections of a work council.
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners has a 'professional team', whose expertise spans areas such employee piracy, personal data protection and non-discrimination. Aušra Maliauskaitė-Embrektė, who is 'proactive and knowledgeable', leads the team. In one highlight, she is representing Grigeo Klaipeda in an unlawful dismissal lawsuit filed by a former employee. Associate Laura Tunkevičiūtė assists clients with cross-border employment matters and immigration law issues.
‘Our contacts at GLIMSTEDT are able to take the right stance between advising appropriately but also recognising that commercial needs sometimes require decisions to be reached quickly. We value the fact that GLIMSTEDT lawyers have been flexible, accessible and responsive and that we had access to senior legal advisers when required.’
‘Glimstedt has a professional team, which acts quickly and precisely.’
‘Aušra Maliauskaitė-Embrektė who leads the employment team, is very proactive, knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. She always puts client’s interests first. Laura Tunkevičiūtė finds the devil in the details.’
‘Proactive, fast, customer-oriented and always ready to support you.’
State Forestry Enterprise
Schneider Electric Lietuva
Embassy of Sweden
Devold of Norway
- Advising the Embassy of Sweden on wide scope of employment matters, particularly those related to the implementation of the new Labour Code.
- Advising Impuls (a training and sports club chain in Lithuania) on various employment matters, including drafting of the complex employment contracts, various internal regulations-handbooks, policies for the protection of the employees’ and IMPULS customers’ personal data, non-disclosure and confidentiality matters.
- Advising BOEN on matters such as EU social insurance taxation, overtime regulations and termination of employment. The firm also recently assisted the client with cross-border matters, such as establishing branches in other EU countries, transferring workers from different jurisdictions and the recruitment of new workers.
Primus Derling's practice handles a range of issues, including labour disputes, employee benefits and day-to-day employment matters. The team is jointly led by Robert Juodka and Giedrė Dailidėnaitė, who assisted Trelleborg Sealing Profiles with various issues, such as GDPR implementation, the appointment of the CEO of the Lithuanian subsidiary, and the review and preparation of a privacy notice.
Robert Juodka; Giedrė Dailidėnaitė
Blue Bridge Group
- Advice to Superdry on ongoing Lithuanian employment law matters, including the appointment and dismissal of employees, GDPR and other issues.
- Advised Mimaki Lithuania, an indirect subsidiary of a Japanese manufacturer, on issues related to implementation of the new Labour Code in the company as well as complying with migration requirements.
- Advising Michelin on the implementation of the new Labour Code, day-to-day labour law matters and the implementation of the personal data protection regulation in the field of employment.
TGS Baltic has strong credentials in the employment arena, owing to its team of 'professional, flexible and competent lawyers'. The firm advises clients on the employment aspects of mergers, employment disputes and the creation of remuneration systems, among other matters. Team head Ieva Povilaitienė acted for the Police Department of Lithuania in litigation against against the National Confederation of Officials' Trade Unions over the legality of so-called police reform. Senior associate Vytautas Šilinskas is another highly regarded member of the practice who has represented clients in employment disputes.
‘The team is keen to assist and is available right away, which is extremely important in emergency situations. The team consists of different specialists that are able to address distinctive issues.’
‘Professional, flexible and competent lawyers. Well-organised.’
‘The team has a strong competence in all employment issues and especially how the relevant regulation of laws has to be implemented practically.’
‘Ieva Povilaitienė is a very business-orientated lawyer who quickly understands business needs and identifies only essential risks.’
‘Senior associate Vytautas Silinskas is a competent, professional and excellent lawyer.’
‘Ieva Povilaitiene and Vytautas Silinskas are individuals who have impressed us greatly. Ieva is always ready to provide professional assistance and give personal attention to the matter. She is flexible, fast, always delivers the best solutions and pays attention to our needs. Communication with Vytautas is clear and fast.’
‘I was particularly impressed by the experience and broad knowledge of Vytautas Silinskas.’
‘Ieva Povilaitiene has always been extremely helpful, professional, proactive, customer-oriented and flexible in giving fast answers and arrange meetings when needed. They are really trustful experts that we have valued during more than 10 years of working with them.’
‘Vytautas Silinskas is a great employment lawyer that is looking for client-oriented solutions. Vytautas follows new case law and regulation in Lithuania, he may provide advice from his own experience and other precedents that happened in Lithuania.’
- Advises Wix.com on all employment law issues, including adapting employment contacts and internal procedures to global policies of the company, e.g. on implementing a system for singing all employment documents electronically, implementing the group’s policy on anti-harassment and the protection of whistle-blowers.
- Advised Lithuanian airports on various employment issues and was also asked to defend the client in a legal case on dismissal of one of the clients senior managers.
- Advised Stora Enso Packaging on matters such as employee remuneration issues, compensations for business trips and dismissals as well as the implementation of GDPR.
Law firm J. Judickiene and Partners Jurex
Law firm J. Judickiene and Partners Jurex is particularly well-known for its focus on employment and labour law disputes, but it also advises on non-contentious human resources and health and safety matters. Managing partner Jurgita Judickienė, who is the head of the practice, has been advising the European Humanities University on updating the entire contractual documentation of the university's staff. Karolina Laurynaitė is an expert in employment disputes.
European Humanities University
Global BOD Group
- In cooperation with business media channel Verslo Žinios and specialist legal news portal INFOLEX Jurex, the firm introduced the first legal guide in Lithuania on new Labour Code of the Republic of Lithuania that entered into force on 1 July 2017.
- Advising telecoms company Bite Lietuva on HR issues and document preparation.
- Assisted the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre with drafting employment documents and the implementation of preventive measures to ensure a non-discriminatory and safe study environment, among other matters.
Magnusson's practice 'goes the extra mile for its clients', with Rūta Didikė at the helm. The team advises corporate entities on employment issues arising from mergers and demergers, employment contracts, employee dismissals and labour disputes. Didikė has a wide range of employment law experience with work, which includes assisting clients with work safety issues and the establishment of trade unions. Assistant attorney-at-law Lukas Stankevičius has advised employers on personnel changes within companies.
‘We have been working with Magnusson for about 5 years. The most important thing which we get from Magnusson’s employment team is that when it is evaluating situations, it not only comes up with formal legal solutions or proposals but also thinks about how our company’s decisions (based on those proposals) will affect the business, financial costs and the image of the company as the employer. The employment team works very professionally, and is focused on the specific result and the need of the client.’
‘I have worked with Magnusson on a contract basis since 2015. During this period we have faced lots of different issues, and we have got very quick and professional solutions each time. Magnusson is the Partner I trust and would recommend.’
‘Magnusson’s employment team has close contact with our employees and managers who are responsible for HR, and are very responsive and have warm personalities. We usually work with attorney-at-law Ruta Didike. Her legal work and insights, the ability to set legal goals and ways for us (the client) to achieve them have helped us to win a number of cases for the company. Ruta always finds time to contact us whether we have any legal issues or not. Her personal attention shows that she truly cares about our company. Another thing is that Rita knows our needs, thus she keeps us updated with the information that is really useful for us (not just general legal facts).’
‘On different occasion I had a chance to work with 5 or 6 team members (partners and associates). Each time I was contacted by the right person who is the best in his/her field. They were very thorough, looking after my company’s needs. I always felt that they go extra mile for their clients.’
- Advised Hollister Lietuva on dismissing a top-level executive.
- Representing Kauno autobusai UAB in a collective labour dispute with a trade union over the company’s refusal to conclude a collective agreement.
- Advised Litesko UAB on a transfer of employees in the event of a transfer of the business to another entity.
Response's practice is able to, 'deliver excellent results in short time.' The firm advises on disputes with employees, amendments to the Labour Code and the termination of employment agreements. Tadas Lukošius heads up the team. Managing partner Vytautas Šenavičius is a 'stand out' lawyer.
‘The team demonstrates very good knowledge in many fields of law, uses that knowledge to find out of the box solutions which best suit the client.’
‘They are very business oriented, flexible with time, able to deliver excellent results in short time. Compared to other law firms the team members demonstrate a much better relationship with the client, which could be found with the in-house lawyers and which results in deep knowledge of client’s business, affairs and current issues.’
‘Great team, advice is concrete and straight to the point.’
‘Mostly working with Rytis Martinkėnas. Great specialist with good skills of legal knowledge and communication.’
‘Vytautas Šenavičius stands out with his business acumen, ability to find unexpected solutions in difficult cases, determination to bring each issue and case till the end to resolve it in the client’s favour, even if it requires extra work.’
- Advising Grafija on the preparation of employment agreements and amendments related to remuneration policy in the company.
- Advising Vilniaus pakuotė on preparation of employment agreements and amendments related to non-disclosure and supervision policy in the company.
- Advised Apasteel on the termination of employment agreements.