Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law's team is widely-hailed for its expertise in all areas of employment law. Its work ranges in scope from employment contracts and benefit schemes to executive terminations and company restructurings. Akos Fehérváry is an experienced employment lawyer, and he also co-heads the China desk, where he is the key contact for Chinese employers operating in Hungary and the CEE region. Senior associate Nóra Óváry-Papp leads the practice, where she acts on all employment matters. Óváry-Papp is highly regarded by clients for her ‘up-to-date legislative knowledge and ability to provide practical and creative solutions.’
Employment in Hungary
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is one of the most professional team in Hungary, with over 20 years of experience in the employment market.’
‘Ákos Fehérváry is the senior partner of the law firm and the leader of the relevant department. His experience and knowledge is invaluable for us. Nóra Óváry-Papp is the leader of the employment and compensation group is the most up-to-date person in the field of employment in Hungary we met. Not only she is up to date with legislation and best practices but provides practical and creative real life solutions to our queries.’
Ford Közép- és Kelet-Európai Kft.
Mercedes-Benz Manufacturing Hungary Kft.
BP Business Service Centre
Swiss Post (Die Schweizerische Post AG)
- Assisted Ford Közép- és Kelet-Európai Kft. with resolving situations related to COVID-19, which included transforming the entire company to remote work and home office operations, preparing amendments to employment contracts and policies in this regard and related to the reduction of working hours, salaries and benefits, postponing the payment of bonuses, etc.
- Represented Mercedes as employer in a lawsuit brought by the union over whether the employer had breached its duty to provide information.
- Continued to provide employment law advice to BP Business Service Centre, including related to disciplinary actions. In addition, the firm furnished extensive legal advice in connection with the home office, including occupational safety regulations and risk analysis; and a major restructuring.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law demonstrates extensive capabilities in both day-to-day advice and litigated matters, and it acts for a broad cross-section of Hungarian and multinational clients. It has attracted new instructions from the Hungarian Outsourcing Association, Teleperformance Portugal and Bristol Meyer Squibb. Practice head Hédi Bozsonyik is increasingly in-demand for advice on home working policies and other matters connected with Covid-19. TMT, manufacturing and automotive sectors are key areas of activity. Katalin Grósz acts for clients in cases of breaches of contract, damages claims and many other labour disputes. Corporate lawyer Adrienn Tar also has a significant employment law practice.
Other key lawyers:
Katalin Grósz; Adrienn Tar
Media Markt Saturn Holding
Swiss Post Solutions
- Assisted LogMeIn Inc with the sale of its Bold360 business, a leader in AI powered digital customer engagement to Genesys, the global leader in cloud customer experience and contact center solutions. The firm assisted with the TUPE (employee transfer) and all other employment related matters in connection with this transaction.
- Assisted DOQSYS Business Solutions (a system integrator, a significant player in the regional S2P automation and intelligent character recognition-based data capture market) in TUPE (transfer of employees) and all related employment matters in connection with the transaction involving the outsourcing of the document processing services of a US-based major car lease company.
- Advising Swiss Post Solutions, a global full-service provider in document management, on all employment related aspects, most recently in connection with collective rights and the negotiation of its Collective Bargaining Agreement and in the extensive reorganization of its workforce, including redundancies.
VJT & Partners has a strong track record acting for high-profile domestic and international clients on sensitive and complex employment matters, both in an advisory and contentious context. Highly regarded Zoltán Csernus and János Tamás Varga are both recognised for their breadth and depth of expertise. Krisztina Lakner left the firm.
János Tamás Varga; Zoltán Csernus
‘VJT has considerable substantive expertise in Hungarian employment law and in related fields. VJT can argue an employment law case effectively at any level-from direct party-to-party negotiations, to the lower court, appeals court, and finally to the Supreme Court. Just as important, VJT has exhibited a capability to be creative and adaptive.’
‘Zoltan Csernus – Zoltan is a tenacious, disciplined, and highly informed attorney with regard to employment law.
‘Janos Tamas Varga – Tamas is head and founder of VJT. He has a superior capacity for understanding all relevant aspects of a case and he is very knowledgeable on a diverse range of Hungarian law practices.’
‘I love working with the employment law team, especially Zoltán Csernus. He is a great lawyer and knows what he is doing.’
‘I have a long history of cooperation with VJT, and they have always delivered on-time, within budget and with great, creative ideas, even in matters requiring a high degree of specialisation. They are great problem solvers!’
‘Zoltán Csernus is my sole cooperating partner with VJT, so all the above opinions are actually addressed at him. I believe that he is an outstanding, experienced and creative lawyer.’
Andrékó Kinstellar‘s full-service labour practice maintains its reputation as a market-leader, with it advising on matters ranging from employee transfers and collective agreements to labour settlements and disputes. Leveraging its established corporate and investment practice, the team has been increasingly busy assisting foreign investors and employers with the establishment of their employment structures, as well as advising on day-to-day operations. Highlights included advising on employment issues associated with SK Innovation’s Hungarian greenfield investment project to establish one of Hungary’s largest electric vehicle component production site. Ákos Nagy specialises in the outsourcing of services, restructuring schemes and developing complex senior management employment contracts.
SK Innovation / SK Battery Hungary Kft.
GLP Pte. Ltd.
- Ongoing advice to SK Innovation and SK Battery Hungary on day-to-day employment matters, including the establishment and termination of employment relationships, work safety and occupational health issues as part of the investment project to establish a battery manufacturing plant.
- Advising Ibiden Europe B.V. on various employment matters, such as establishment and termination of employment relationships; work safety, occupational health issues; settlement of claims brought by former contractor with the aim of preventing litigation, among others.
- Advising GLP on the agreement to acquire Goodman Group’s Central and Eastern Europe logistics portfolio, subject to regulatory approvals, including conducting an employment due diligence concerning a 40-person team of Goodman Group working in the region and advice in relation to the transfer of employees to GLP.
The ‘highly skilled professional team’ at CMS offers the full scope of employment advice, with particular expertise in contract-related issues, disciplinary measures, unfair dismissal disputes and data protection matters. Department head Gabriella Ormai has almost 30 years of experience in the employment arena. She is assisted by senior associates Tamás Tercsák, György Bálint and Boglárka Peszeki, who also display a diverse set of expertise in all areas of employment law.
Other key lawyers:
Tamás Tercsák; Boglárka Peszeki; György Bálint
‘We have two dedicated associates who are exceptionally great in labour law. They are easy to contact, quick to respond and have real value. I would highlight that their value is up-to-date, which is very important for us in this rapidly changing working environment – they are not only aware of knowledge by the book, but with court decisions, newly changing legal habits/customs.’
‘Our main contact is Boglarka Peszeki at CMS, who quickly responded with relevant answers, handles our cases with thorough care and involves other lawyers if necessary for certain dedicated, exact topics. She manages all our cases exceptionally well, on time.’
‘Highly skilled professional team, exceptionally quick turn around times. We had a really good partnership over the years. The team always looks for the best solution for the company.’
‘Diverse team with great expertise in multiple fields, which is a great advantage. Overall impression is extremely positive, can-do attitude, customer-centric, putting themselves into the shoes of us as customers. Business knowledge is also essential and critical part of the cooperation, as well as responsiveness, quick turnaround time.’
‘Gyorgy is always accessible and ready to support me with solid and professional legal advice. He understands “real life” practicalities also, and has lots of cases in his head, which we can also build on when we are discussing our actual situations.’
AMC Networks Central Europe
Johnson & Johnson
Magyar Duty Free
The Ritz-Carlton/Marriott Hotels
- Advising long-time client, Budapest Marriott Hotels on collective and individual employment law matters to a major player in the hospitality industry.
- Advising Johnson Electric on a regular basis, providing full employment law advice on the implementation of collective redundancies.
- Advising Microsoft on employment and disciplinary matters, establishment and termination of employment relationship (also on management level).
DLA Piper‘s employment team is able to leverage being part of an extensive international network, as well as the strength of its Budapest corporate practice, to handle the cross-border employment aspects of acquisitions and corporate restructurings. It has a notable list of clients in the aviation, manufacturing, IT, retail and consumer goods sectors, including Emirates, WIZZ Air and the Zara/Inditex Group. Helga Fehér spearheads the practice. Another key individual is senior associate Dóra Bocskov-Szabó, who is a key adviser on termination cases, internal HR policies, contract drafting and data protection, as well as employment litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent support for multinational companies. Good understanding of cultural differences.’
‘Helga is excellent to work with. Her advice is timely and relevant to our industry.’
‘They are delivering excellent legal services of high quality.’
‘I enjoyed working together with senior associate Dora Bocskov-Szabo. She is always reachable and delivers high-quality legal advice within a very acceptable time frame.’
Magyar Bankholding Zrt.
Arconic-Köfém Mill Products
- Advising Wizz Air on all employment law issues in connection with Covid-19, including coordination throughout the entire network, which includes 15 core jurisdictions.
- Provide regular day-to-day employment and labour law-related advice to AmRest Hungary including termination questions, drafting of termination documents, working time scheduling and immigration-related questions.
- Advised the owners of Budapest Bank, MKB Bank and Takarekbank on the employment aspects of the merger of the three banking group.
Gábor Damjanovic is the lead employment partner at Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm, which acts for a mix of international recruitment agencies, multinational corporates, Hungarian enterprises and senior executives on the full spectrum of employment law matters. The practice is highlighted for its particular expertise in the pharmaceutical sector, and has received significant instructions from new clients such as Tavanta Therapeutics, and Haema Plasma/Grifols Group. Ákos Balázs is highly recommended for business immigration matters.
Other key lawyers:
Big Bus Tours
Allegis Group, Inc.
American Express Global Business Travel
- Advised Fortenova/Agrokor Group on a separation of two business lines in their Hungarian subsidiary (with a view to get ready for a sale of one of the business lines) active in the mineral water industry, including splitting the workforce.
- Assisted Big Bus Tours with a mass dismissal action due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effect on the tourism sector.
- Continued to advise Velox Digital on business immigration issues, namely in acquiring entry permissions and respective quarantine waivers during the different phases of the pandemic.
KCG Partners Law Firm provides ‘thorough employment advice which balances the requirements of the law with the realities of business.’ The practice has been exceptionally active in supporting clients on day-day changes resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic, including on matters such as data privacy, preparation of home office policies, modifying employment contracts, business immigration and redundancies. Dual qualified to practise in Hungary and the US, Levente Csengery is the go-to counsel for many international entities. He jointly leads the practice with Rita Párkányi.
Levente Csengery; Rita Párkányi
‘Dedicated team was led by Rita Parkanyi. She managed the team and process in a very good way. She provided a very good service, with remarkable professional and industry knowledge, and also provided alternative solutions and opportunities. We got real value for money.’
‘KCG Partner’s employment team is responsive and helpful. They have deep knowledge and give pragmatic answers to questions, even in complex matters. They always reply in a timely manner.’
‘KCG is thorough in everything they do. Their advice balances the requirements of the law with the realities of business.’
‘Rita Parkanyi is always accessible and transparent, often forgoing formalities in the name of efficiency. I appreciate that.’
‘Readily available, highly-skilled and business minded team of lawyers with competitive prices.’
‘Levente Csengery and Rita Párkány deliver exceptional legal services. Having in-depth knowledge of the industries elevates them over their competitors. Their business acumen is exceptional.’
BNP Paribas Cardif
- Advising Sberbank on various employment law matters.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners regularly receives employment-related referrals from international law firms, in addition to winning work in its own right. The varied workload covers matters such as the preparation of employment agreements and policies, TUPE work, data protection, employee relations, restructuring and disputes. Éva Bognár is the main partner for all labour mandates.
Mattoni 1873 a.s.
MARS Multisales and Manufacturing entities
Arval (BNP Paribas Group)
American International School of Budapest (AISB)
European Climate Foundation
- Advising Mattoni Group’s Hungarian subsidiaries, including Szentkirályi Ásványvíz Zrt. on all legal aspects of its drink bottling and distribution business. The firm assisted the client with top management restructuring, negotiation of termination agreements and immigration process of the new top executive.
- Assisted Trimble Inc in implementation of various restructurings and advising the client on COVID-related issues including wage support subsidies and analysing the service provider network, employment contracts and restructuring projects.
- Advising TOYO INK on all HR related questions related to their operations.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda is active in transactional employment work and in the handling of collective labour issues, particularly for banking, construction, retail and telecoms sector clients. Managing partner Zsolt Cselédi provides ‘timely and high-value legal advice’; his clients include CIB Bank, UniCredit Bank, Continental Automotive and Vodafone.
‘Oppenheim’s employment practice is well recognized on the market, they provide exceptionally high value for money legal advice. They always take our company’s specialities into consideration and provide tailor-made legal advice.’
‘Zsolt Cselédi, partner of the employment practice, has always been available and supported us with timely and high-value legal advice no matter what kind of employment-related issue we had.’
‘They have a great practice and solution-oriented skills. They are very flexible, always available and the communication skills always solve even impossible problems in all circumstances.’
Vodafone Hungary Telecommunications
Continental Automotive Group
UniCredit Bank Hungary
CIB Bank Hungary
British American Tobacco
HELL Energy Beverages Group
- Advised Vodafone on the acquisition of one of the most important cable television company in Europe assisting the acquiring telco company to merge and align their staff and working organisations.
- Assisting Continental Group in a major collective labour matter in Hungary, namely the conclusion of the new collective bargaining agreement at the ContiTech leg of the group. The negotiations are still in progress and involve four trade unions.
- Since 2021 the firm has been engaged, inter alia, in the redesign of Vodafone’s operations from an employment point of view with respect to the post-pandemic needs and opportunities. The company employs more than 3.000 employees in Hungary, all of them have been transferred to a hybrid engagement model.
bnt | attorneys-at-law
bnt | attorneys-at-law largely works with multinational companies with a German background to provide day-to-day HR support, advise on employee relations and handle collective labour issues. Éva Ratatics and Jan Burmeister are the main contacts for employment aspects of M&A transactions, restructuring and mass redundancies, remuneration and retirement benefits, data protection and disputes.
Éva Ratatics; Jan Burmeister
‘Clear understanding of our needs, pro-active approach hand-on mentality with superb expertise.’
‘Mr. Burmeister is approachable at any given time, being the point of contact for his law firm. His excellent knowledge of Hungarian and German law is extremely beneficial for our business.’
‘Highly professional multi-lingual staff with complimentary skills and competent profiles.’
‘Proactively advises us on changes or potential changes in legal and commercial circumstances. Regular updates and important (for us) strategic advice.’
Robert Bürkle GmbH
Noerr has notable strengths in handling employment matters for clients in the manufacturing, automotive and car parts manufacturing sectors. It has been increasingly busy supporting clients on Covid-related issues, such as the introduction of new working time models, remote work, mass redundancies and employment-related data protection law inquiries. Viktor Füzi has expertise in handling contentious employment matters and collective labour issues. He works with Edina Czeglédy, who is knowledgeable about restructurings, data protection and employee transfers.
Viktor Füzi; Edina Czeglédy
‘Fluent in German, in-depth knowledge of all prepared contractual matters, very dependable and quick implementation of the needed legal advice.’
Giant Hungary Kft.
ISS Hungary Facility Management Kft.
Shenzen Kedali Hungary Kft.
ZF Hungária Kft.
OPES Real Estate Hungary Kft.,
KELEN PARK Property Investment Group
Diehl Aviation Hungary Kft.
thyssenkrupp Components Technology Hungary Kft.
KUKA Hungária Kft.
RUAG Ammotec Magyarországi Zrt.
Krones Hungary Kft.
Peek & Cloppenburg Kft.
- Advised MOL Group on the acquisition of the Hungarian company of Marche (Swiss global catering company).
- Advised ISS Group on the sale of six companies in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania and Hungary.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda is noted for its ‘commercial, pragmatic and client-focused approach’ to a diverse range of employment law matters. It provides support on M&A, restructurings and general HR issues. Counsel Dániel Gera has more than 16 years of experience in the field and is the primary figure for all employment law mandates.
‘Their availability was outstanding, actually the whole timeline was arranged solely on our needs. They made us feel as if we were their only client.’
‘Quick to respond, thorough and competent.’
‘The team provides solid legal advice. Energetic, commercially focused, pragmatic with a customer orientated approach are all strong assets.’
‘The company is a steadily reliable partner. They have experts in all legal areas.’
‘Recommended for their expert knowledge and collaboration.’
Fressnapf Holding SE / Fressnapf Hungária Kft.
Benteler Autótechnika Kft.
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, SA (CAF) and its Hungarian subsidiary CAF Hungary Kft.
Uniper Hungary Kft.
Essentra Filter Products Kft.
Euro Pool System Hungary Kft.
Heidelberger Druckmaschinen – Heidelberg Magyarország Kft.
FlixMobility GmbH – Flixbus Hungary Kft.
Schott Hungary Kft
B&B Hotels Hungary Kft.
Avaya Magyarország Kft.
- Advised Fressnapf on Covid-related employment measures and a labour-related audit conducted at the company.
- Advised Grundfos A/S as local counsel on a worldwide restructuring project which affected also the Hungarian entities of the Grundfos group.
- Advised Euro Pool System Hungary Kft regarding the employment of agency workers and the change of its workforce agency and the related contractual issues.
Utilising its wide network of offices, Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda is noted for its involvement in multijurisdictional M&A and business immigration employment matters. It also advises on benefits and share incentive schemes. Pál Szabó is the main contact for employment law instructions and contentious proceedings.
- Advising U.S-based Intrexon Corporation on various employment issue concerning the integration of its Hungarian operations.
- Advised Tresorit on recruitment of executives and employment contracts.
- Represented Univision in an asset sale related employment aspects.
Szabó Kelemen & Partners Andersen Attorneys largely operates within the manufacturing, agriculture, energy, retail and financial services sectors. The main contact is Szilvia Fehérvári, who handles standard employment contracts, internal policies, terminations, data compliance and litigation.
Aon Hungary Llc.
Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland‘s ‘friendly, helpful and technically very well prepared team’ advise a mix of Hungarian clients, and local subsidiaries of multinational groups, on matters ranging from day-to-day HR support, TUPE, mass redundancies, data collecting and disputes. The Budapest practice also works closely with other offices to coordinate multijurisdictional projects, such as restructuring and outsourcing. Agnes Szent-Ivány and Katalin Varga are the main contacts.
Katalin Varga; Ágnes Szent-Ivány
‘Friendly, helpful team, technically very well prepared, required time schedule is respected.’
‘The staff in well prepared from legal point of view, prompt answering on raised questions, tasks, requests, friendly manner, good quality of provided solutions, recommendations.’
‘Katalin Varga is very competent and provides practical advice. She is always reachable and easy to work with.’
‘The team is very responsive and ready to give cross-border advice on big transactions involving employment law.’
‘Katalin Varga is a real business partner, ready to answer promptly to any query.’
Charles River Laboratories
Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung
Tata Consultancy Services
- Advised MTD on collective redundancy and related restructuring procedure.
- Represented the client in a court procedure initiated by a former employee on non-competition agreement.
Taylor Wessing Hungary‘s employment practice is led by ‘stand out partner’, Torsten Braner, who regularly coordinates employment projects throughout the CEE and SEE regions. He also advises on Hungarian employment law in relation to employee contracts and flexible working solutions, collective bargaining, reorganisations and restructurings and cross-border transfers of undertaking.
Other key lawyers:
Zoltán Novák; Zsombor Lenner
‘Super-organized team, the task is always assigned to the right person and without any delay., Top professionals on several legal areas, willing to go an extra mile.’
‘Straight and easy to understand information, instructions and guidelines regarding the topics covered by TW.’
‘Torsten Braner – stand out partner. Very good knowledge and thorough commercial advice.’
Twentyone GmbH – Hungarian Branch
Werum IT Solutions GmbH
C&A Mode Kft.
Charles Vögele Hungary Kft.
EIPA Hungária Kft.
Mango Hungary Kft.
JUNGHEINRICH Hungária Fejlesztési és Tanácsadó Kft.
- Advised Präzi-Flachstahl AG on changes in the management of its Hungarian subsidiary.
- Advised Sophos Hungary, a provider of security software, on aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic as e.g. the rules on warranting a safe work environment and the handling of vaccinated employee matters.
- Advised Mango Hungary in connection with the coronavirus situation on working time reduction, available job retention schemes and government subsidies, with a special focus on the regulatory aspects of the relevant applications during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office
Clients praise Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office‘s employment practice for its ‘fast response times, industry knowledge, project management skills and excellent value for money‘. Gábor Jagicza is the main contact for HR support and employee relations, collective bargaining and employment litigation.
‘The overall level of support of Vámosi-Nagy Ernst&Young Law Office absolutely outstanding service level even in response times, industry knowledge, project management skills and definitely the value for money was absolutely on the expected level.’
TEVA Gyógyszergyár Zrt.
Vanguards Fashion Group Zrt.
- Advised TEVA Gyógyszergyár Zrt. on the closure of logistics centre, restructuring and collective redundancy of manpower.
- Acted on the investment of Hungarian label Nanushka, restructuring of company group and setting up work organization of holding employees.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda‘s Budapest team works on cross-border employment matters with practitioners located in the firm’s other offices in the CEE region. It is able to advise on matters such as employee transfers, internal HR policies, cross-border restructurings and labour disputes. László Kenyeres and Barnabás Buzási are the main points of contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Customer-focus. Well-prepared, professional attitude, prompt and well-established solutions.’
‘They want to understand the company’s expectations in detail and provide an answer for the expectations. I have the impression of the highest ownership from their side.’
International Flavors & Fragrances I.F.F. (Hungary) Kft.