Employment in Hungary
CMS has an impressive client roster across a broad range of industries including the TMT, life sciences, agriculture and financial services sectors. It advises on the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters, and regularly provides HR support services. Gabriella Ormai heads up the practice, which also includes of counsel Tamás Tercsák and senior associate György Bálint.
AMC Networks Central Europe
Johnson & Johnson
Magyar Duty Free
The Ritz-Carlton/Marriott Hotels
- Advising Johnson & Johnson on the full range of issues from termination cases, restructurings, internal policies and compliance matters.
- Acting for Microsoft on employment and disciplinary matters, the establishment and termination of employment relationships, updating various labour law documentation with respect to data privacy requirements, and risk assessment of employment structures.
- Advising Ritz-Carlton, Budapest on collective bargaining negotiations, temporary agency issues, redundancies and terminations for misconduct matters.
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm is a popular choice for multinational clients which it advises on a mix of contentious and advisory employment work. Recent highlights include representing Mall Group in a high-value dispute against its former manager, and acting for Big Bus Tours in a unfair dismissal case brought by a former manager. Gábor Damjanovic is highly recommended, as is Ákos Balázs.
Big Bus Tours
Geico Taikisha Group
Allegis Group, Inc.
American Express Global Business Travel
Dr. Peithner K.G.
Orange Group Baltic
- Continued to advise China Telecom in hiring the executive for its newly established Hungarian representative office.
- Assisting American Express Global Business Travel with a range of employment issues.
- Advising Orange Group Baltic on its temporary recruitment and work agency activity.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law advises Hungarian and international companies on the full range of employment matters. Its expertise spans termination, confidentiality and data protection issues, mass redundancies and the employment aspects of M&A transactions. The team recently advised a global car manufacturer on a high-profile compliance issue and represented a pharmaceutical company in a termination matter. Ákos Fehérváry heads up the employment group, which includes Éva Nagy, who is experienced in redundancies, secondments and restructurings involving multiple jurisdictions.
‘The team provides excellent service in all employment matters and its practice is supported by many value-added services, such as tax, corporate, competition and compliance‘.
‘They provide timely advice and have a greatly business-oriented attitude‘.
‘Éva Nagy offers practical advice, always looking for the best possible solution for the client‘.
VJT & Partners advises on the employment aspects of cross-border and domestic M&A, private equity and outsourcing transactions. It also handles contentious employment matters, and recently advised on mass redundancies and termination matters. Zoltán Csernus and managing partner János Tamás Varga are recommended.
‘Zoltán Csernus is an exceptional expert in the field of employment law‘.
Andrékó Kinstellar regularly advises on the employment aspects of M&A and restructuring transactions. Its recent instructions also include contentious employment matters and internal investigations. Ákos Nagy leads the team which includes several associates with expertise spanning outsourcing, data protection, and collective labour issues.
‘Mature and energetic lawyers providing client-friendly advice‘.
Ibiden Hungary Kft / Ibiden Europe BV
- Advising SK Innovation on the employment aspects of its greenfield investment to establish an electric vehicle battery factory.
- Advising Ibiden on day-to-day employment matters.
- Advising Lindström Oy on the employment law aspects of the acquisition of the business and assets of Salzol Kft.
DLA Piper counts a number of well-known multinational companies as clients, which it advises on a broad range of labour and employment matters encompassing restructurings, data protection issues and cross-border transactions. Practice head Helga Fehér and senior associate Dóra Bocskov-Szabó are noted.
‘Helga Fehér is an excellent lawyer with superb language skills and professional approach‘.
British International School
- Advising Cognizant in data privacy and protection of employees’personal data.
- Assisting Arconic-Köfém with employment aspects of its corporate restructuring, redundancy, works council and trade union issues, collective bargaining agreements and termination and disciplinary cases.
- Advising McDonald’s on the sale of its business in Hungary and the grant of a franchise for the market, and on the transaction’s related employment matters.
KCG Partners Law Firm handles 'highly complex matters with a problem-solving and project manager attitude'. It has notable experience in handling employment disputes and advising on employee stock ownership plans. The team is jointly led by Levente Csengery, who has 'an excellent knowledge of the business environment', and the client-focused Rita Párkányi, who has 'excellent labour law and data protection knowledge'.
‘Besides their excellent knowledge of labour laws and practices, KCG Partners very well understands the operation of their clients therefore their advice is very practical. KCG Partners is very client-focused, their reaction time is quick. Client relationship management is excellent‘.
‘We highly value their responsiveness and availability, which is key in data protection matters‘.
‘Rita Párkányi has extended employment and data protection expertise, and gives practical advice‘.
BNP Paribas Cardif
Admiral Markets Group AS
YG-1 Europa SAS
- Advising Lego on day-to-day employment matters.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners
Lakatos, Köves and Partners' employment team provides the full range of expertise to its clients in conjunction with colleagues from the firm's corporate, dispute resolution, TMT and real estate practices. The group recently won a number of new clients; Bayer, Oxford University Press, Mars Manufacturing and Nafto Gaz are among the list. The team is led by counsel Éva Bognár, who focuses on restructurings and redundancies, negotiations with works councils, outsourcing issues, terminations and disputes. Working with the tax team on employment tax issues is another area of expertise.
‘I have always found the team responsive and knowledgeable, often working to tight deadlines and quick turn around‘.
‘It is an excellent team to work with – always present, responsive and ready to accommodate timing and scope requirements of clients. The team closely cooperates with one another and ensures there is a continuity of service. In terms of advice they are very responsive and to the point‘.
‘Éva Bognár is responsive and gives helpful and practical advice on various matters of employment law‘.
O-I (Owens Illinois)
American International School of Budapest
Care Park Group
Oxford University Press
- Advised Vodafone on the employment aspects of its acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in Hungary.
- Advising Flowserve on the setup of the entire employment framework of a new services centre in Debrecen, including the standard and executive employment contracts, policies and working conditions.
- Acting for Bayer on the entire restructuring of its employment framework in Hungary.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law advises on collective bargaining agreements, restructurings and termination matters. Its impressive client roster includes Amway, Reckitt Benkiser, Swiss Post and L’Oréal. Practice head Hédi Bozsonyik has notable expertise in cross-border work force restructurings. Associate Adrienn Tar is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very precise and have up-to-date labour law knowledge‘.
Adstream UK Limited
Budapest Festival Orchestra
- Advising Flex on the settlement of a labour dispute and mass redundancies matters.
- Advising Adstream UK on the establishment and termination of employment relationships.
- Acting for Swiss Post Solutions on collective rights and the negotiation of its collective bargaining agreement.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda leverages its regional footprint to advise domestic, regional and international clients on a mix of contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Its recent caseload also includes advising on the employment aspects of corporate restructurings and M&A transactions, and employment-related GDPR implementation work. Clients praise its 'fast response, client-focused approach, and tailor-made precise advice'. Practice head Barnabás Buzási has 'good communication skills and high working capacities'. László Kenyeres and Eszter Bohati are also recommended.
‘Wolf Theiss has a sufficient cover in the Central European region where our company has business interests, so we can obtain legal advice for the whole region from the same law firm through one channel. This also ensures unified interpretation and approach in the same topics‘.
‘Good professional knowledge, quick response time, practical thinking, and good knowledge of the legal and business environment‘.
‘Barnabás Buzási’s advice is clear and very well applicable in business practice. His professional knowledge is excellent‘.
‘Eszter Bohati has very good professional and IT knowledge‘.
Türk Telekom International HU Kft.
L’Oréal Magyarország Kozmetikai Kft.
SICOM Systems, Inc.
- Advised Türk Telekom International HU Kft. on termination, cross-border employee transfer, and bonus payment issues.
- Advised ThyssenKrupp AG on the workforce requirements relating to the construction of a hydrogen-peroxide and propylene-oxide plant, a polyol plant, a propylene-glycol plant and off-site and utility units.
bnt | attorneys-at-law
bnt | attorneys-at-law focuses on advising German multinational companies on a broad range of employment matters. Recent instructions include terminations, the establishment of working councils and advising on the employment aspects of restructurings and M&A transactions. Rainer Tom and Éva Ratatics jointly lead the team.
Robert Bürkle GmbH
TNT Express Hungary
- Advising TNT Express Hungary on employment matters regarding the integration of FedEx’s and TNT Express’ Hungarian businesses and expansions of their operations in Hungary.
- Advising a manufacturing company on collective agreements.
CLV Partners - Csabai & Partners Law Firm
CLV Partners - Csabai & Partners Law Firm's clients spans a broad range of industries including the retail, FMCG, manufacturing and TMT sectors. It advises on cross-border TUPE transactions, collective bargaining agreements, disputes and negotiations with works councils and trade unions, as well as acting on data protection matters. Managing partner Marianna Csabai is the main contact within the team, which saw the departure of Nóra Óváry-Papp to Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law in 2019.
‘They have extensive experience in handling cases as well as understanding the different perspectives of managers and employees working remotely in matrix structures of global organisations. They are a fine blend of consultants and solution providers‘.
‘The lawyers have a great appetite to learn the details of a case. They strive to provide the most convenient solutions and give an explanation of the legal scenarios, so decision-makers can understand the different options with benefits and risks alike‘.
Viacom International Hungary Kft.
Viacom International Hungary Kft. – Paramount Pictures
Computacenter Services Kft.
Cielo Talent Kft.
Quehenberger Logistics HU Kft.
Go Global Travel HU Kft.
Donghua Hungary Kft.
CSL Plasma Kft.
Országos Dohányboltellátó Kft.
- Advising Viacom International on a range of employment issues, including dismissals, hiring, restructuring, non-competition agreement, cross-border employment and immigration.
- Advising Quehenberger Logistics HU Kft. in employment disputes.
- Acted for Sugo Food Kft. on the transfer of employees following its acquisition of Greenyard Frozen Hungary.
Kinga Zempléni Law Firm
Kinga Zempléni Law Firm's diverse practice routinely assists regional and global employers with a broad scope of compliance, contentious and transactional support matters. The team also handles negotiations with trade unions. Kinga Zempléni is the main contact.
Noerr handles employment advisory and contentious matters, and has notable expertise acting for clients in the automotive, hi-tech and manufacturing sectors. Viktor Füzi and associate Reka Zambo are noted.
Diehl Aircabin Hungary Kft.
RUAG Ammotec Hungary Zrt.
Wacker NEUSON SE; Wacker Neuson Kft.
Krones Hungary Kft.
thyssenKrupp Components Technology Hungary Kft.
- Acting for Diehl Aircabin Hungary Kft in a broad range of employment matters.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda advises on the employment aspects of big-ticket restructuring mandates, and counts Continental Automotive as a major client. It also recently advised on collective redundancy issues and termination matters. Zsolt Cselédi heads up the team.
Vodafone Hungary Telecommunications
Vodafone Shared Services Budapest
Continental Automotive and Powertrain
HELL Energy Beverages Ltd.
AVALON Hotels Ltd.
Metro Food Wholesaler
Freshfields Buckhaus Deringer
UniCredit Bank Hungary
CIB Bank Hungary
British American Tobacco
- Advising Vodafone on the employment aspects of its acquisition of UPC Group.
- Acted for Continental Group on the employment aspects of the carve-out of its Powertrain business.
- Assisted Contrinex on the collective redundancy following the closure of its Hungarian manufacturing plant.
Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland advises Hungarian subsidiaries of multinational companies on the employment aspects of restructuring and outsourcing transactions. It also handles contentious employment matters and has experience in representing clients in labour disputes and out-of-court settlements. Katalin Varga is the main contact.
‘They are well-prepared professionally and have the ability to react fast on requests‘.
‘They are reachable, and can perform activities with very short notice and to a high standard‘.
- Advising Sunrider Hungary on GDPR compliance issues.
- Acting for Eaton Manufacturing on termination of employment matters.
- Advising Autoliv on its negotiation with the local trade union.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda is singled out for its 'client focused approach and it always searches for a solution that fits the individual needs of the client'. Counsel Dániel Gera and managing partner Kinga Hetényi are 'both very knowledgeable, professional, always easy to reach and quick to react'. The team regularly advises on the Hungarian employment aspects of cross-border M&A and restructuring matters, as well as senior management termination issues.
‘The team has close cooperation with colleagues working in other countries, running cross-border projects seamlessly‘.
Fressnapf Holding SE / Fressnapf Hungária Kft.
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, SA (CAF) and its Hungarian subsidiary CAF Hungary Kft.
Arylux Hungary Kft.
Husqvarna AB and its Hungarian subsidiary Husqvarna Magyarország Kft.
Uniper Hungary Kft.
Waters Research Center Kft.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda handles the employment aspects of M&A transactions, advises on employee share incentive schemes and acts in employment disputes. Practice head Pál Szabó also advises on collective redundancies. Senior associate Zoltán Tarján is another name to note.
Univision / GMG
- Advised Univision with respect to the Hungarian employment aspects of the sale of its Gizmodo Media Group including its Hungarian subsidiary, to Great Hill Partners.
- Advising Intrexon on a broad range of employment matters.
- Advising Tresorit on recruitment matters.
Szécsényi és Társai Ügyvédi Társulás
‘They work as a team with their clients‘.
Hotel Yasmin Budapest Kft (Hilton Garden Inn)
Special Textile Hungary Kft
Sauter Hungaria Kft
Karl Wörwag Lack- und Farbenfabrik
BWT Hungária Kft
CBRE Global Investors
- Advising Eni Austria GmbH and the Hungarian branch office of Eni Austria GmbH on issues related to the transfer of temporary agency workers.
- Advising BWT Hungária Kft on various issues regarding employment relationships, establishment and termination of employment relationships, updating of existing contracts or supporting the establishment of warehouse liability.
- Acting for Sauter Hungaria Kft on its restructuring.
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys
Taylor Wessing Hungary handles a variety of contentious and non-contentious matters in the employment area. Recent instructions include advising on employee data protection matters. Team head Torsten Braner is singled out.
C&A Mode Kft
Charles Vögele Hungary Kft.
EIPA Hungária Kft.
- Advising C&A on employment contract design, dismissals, and issues in connection with employees returning from maternity leave.
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office advises on data privacy and GDPR regulation matters relating to employees. Terminations, employee transfers and employment disputes also feature in its recent highlights. Gábor Jagicza and Iván Sefer are the key contacts.
Tex Hungary Kft.
Meiji Rubber Europe Ipari Termék Zrt.
- Representing Meiji Rubber Europe Ipari Termék Zrt. in an investigation of a potential fraud.