As one of the leading addresses for public procurement, Baker McKenzie's highly specialised team has taken on a pioneering role in handling the Covid-19 crisis by advising pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, trading companies and public sector clients on procurement to contain the corona virus and as well as on public procurement challenges that arose during the pandemic. In addition to assisting bidders in the healthcare market, the practice also assists the public sector as contracting authority with important armament, infrastructure and digitization projects. Public procurement expert Susanne Mertens focuses on advising companies and the public sector on procurement issues in the IT sector, while Berlin-based practice head Marc Gabriel has longstanding experience in representing bidders and contracting authorities in procurement and review proceedings.
Public procurement in Germany
‘Good coverage the entire spectrum of public procurement law, including individual interfaces to adjacent legal areas.’
‘Susanne Mertens: Very broadly based and, thanks to her other specializations, offers clients very good advice and solutions in IT law as well as public procurement law.’
‘A highly professional team that provides one or more specialized contacts for each aspect/section of a procurement process. Fast and direct communication, fixed contacts, high professional level and pleasant cooperation on all levels of the hierarchy.’
Bird & Bird‘s extensive procurement expertise is called upon by both contracting authorities as well as contractors, with a particular focus on the security and defense, infrastructure, transport, energy and construction sectors. In addition, the team is increasingly involved in in cross-border issues in the life sciences sphere and has further seen an increase in instructions concerning IT procurement; for the latter area, Guido Bormann, who also advises on matters in the telecommunications sector, and public procurement and IT lawyer Jan Byok are particularly important contacts. The practice also provides interdisciplinary advice on contractual, regulatory, financial and litigious issues, with Alexander Csaki being particularly experienced in the latter, as well as the online platform Access for public sector clients, which enables the legally secure provision and management of tender documents.
Bayrisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit
Landesamt für Zentrale Polizeiliche Dienste NRW (LZPD NRW)
TenneT TSO GmbH / TransnetBW GmbH
- Advising TenneT TSO GmbH / TransnetBW GmbH on the award of a contract for a converter system (mainly consisting of two converter stations) for the SuedLink wind power line.
- Advice on public procurement and contract law to the state of Lower Saxony in the procurement of satellite communication infrastructure for the area of civil protection.
- Advice on procurement and contract law to the Free State of Bavaria in the procurement of an access network for the BOS digital radio of the authorities and organizations with security tasks.
Dentons acts for both bidders and contracting authorities and advises on the whole array of national and European public procurement law as well as on public procurement law of international organizations; the team has industry expertise in the healthcare, transport, defense and security sectors. Andreas Haak acts with a focus on large IT and digitisation projects, Christian Miercke has extensive experience in drafting contracts for infrastructure projects, especially with regards to critical infrastructures, and Peter Braun is a much sought-after contact for compliance issues and tender exclusions. Wolfram Krohn has longstanding experience in both public-private partnerships and litigation.
‘Good cooperation. Always reliable. If a person is not available, a competent replacement will be sent instead.’
‘Peter Braun and Christian Miercke: Both are characterized by a very high level of competence in procurement law. In addition, they know how to strike the right note both in dealing with clients and the courts – objectively and to the point without “riotous briefs” as is the case with some other colleagues.’
‘Quick accessibility, cover a wide range of relevant topics, short decision-making processes.’
‘Peter Braun: An extremely competent and experienced specialist who uses his expertise to find practical solutions. His advice is always tailored to the specific application in practice and does not require any readjustment. Personal contact with him is very pleasant and friendly. He also regularly enables a quick response to urgent inquiries. Extraordinary good!’
‘Very well coordinated team – very high professional competence, very approachable, very easy to reach.’
‘The Dentons team is characterized by a high level of reliability, friendliness, punctuality and, last but not least, a high level of qualification. Dentons is particularly characterized by their willingness to familiarize themselves with topics in a meticulous and market-oriented manner.’
‘Wolfram Krohn: The collaboration is fantastic – he is exceptionally knowledgeable, very responsive, flexible and willing to adapt to clients’ needs. Interactions with him are insightful, his questions are considered, and his responses demonstrate a rare combination of legal expertise and an understanding of practical business considerations.’
‘They are very good at making things understandable to non-lawyers and are also characterized by a high level of availability and absolute reliability and integrity.’
Bundesministerium des Innern, für Bau und Heimat
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
Deutsche Bahn AG / DB Regio
Deutsche Post AG und DHL Solutions GmbH
IBM Deutschland GmbH
Duisburger Hafen AG (duisport)
Prosoz Herten GmbH
Private Univeristät Witten Herdecke
Stiftung Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister
Optimal Systems Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH Konstanz
ABL social federation GmbH
SAS Institute GmbH
SVA System Vertrieb Alexander GmbH
Schnorrenberg Chirurgiemechanik GmbH (mittlerweile umfirmiert in Medworx GmbH)
Roeser Medical GmbH (Konzerngesellschaft der Sana Kliniken AG)
Kreis Viersen / Wirtschaftsförderungsgesellschaft Kreis Viersen mbH (WFG)
Zweckverband Kommunales Rechenzentrum Niederrhein (KRZN)
Sana Klinik Service GmbH
Universität des Saarlandes
Deutsches Weininstitut GmbH
Wirtschafts- und Infrastrukturbank des Landes Hessen (WIBank)
Ministerium für Landwirtschaft, Umwelt und Klimaschutz des Landes Brandenburg
IHK Gesellschaft für Informationsverarbeitung mbH (IHK-GfI)
Bundesverband Breitbandkommunikation e.V.
Facharzt für Klinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene Tyrolpath Obrist Brunhuber GmbH
Vattenfall Eurofiber GmbH
- Advising the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Homeland on procurement and contract law issues pertaining to a complex large-scale project concerning the IT consolidation of the federal government with a special focus on national security interests and IT security.
- Advising Roche Diagnostics GmbH on the participation in Europe-wide award procedures in the field of laboratory diagnostics and blood sugar measurement as well as representation in several review procedures. Advice on the award of large-volume framework contracts for rapid antigen tests by German federal states.
- Advising and representing DB Regio as a party involved in the SPNV review proceedings of Die Länderbahn GmbH (DLB, Netinera Group) against the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania for the award of a 15-year SPNV contract for the electric and hybrid network Warnow II.
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek's procurement practice focuses on advising the public sector and assists not only cities and federal states but also the federal government, various ministries and transport associations with projects of often political and social relevance. In addition to specialising in the transport sector, where the group is regularly involved in large infrastructure projects, it also has extensive expertise in the IT sector and review proceedings. The practice is jointly led by Ute Jasper, who is considered an expert in public procurement law and in the transport and regulated industries, and Martin Schellenberg, who has extensive experience in PPP. Susanne Christine Monsig (procurement procedures for the realization of large infrastructure projects) made partner in January 2023.
‘HKLW’s public procurement law team is characterized by its outstanding experience in public procurement law. The team delivers particularly practice-oriented solutions with strategic vision. Even in award procedures with particularly difficult requirements and demanding framework conditions, the team achieves legally secure and at the same time economically excellent results.’
‘The HKLW team assists us with complicated, politically explosive proceedings, each with an order value in the tens of millions. We are very satisfied! We are not only impressed by its quick and competent advice, but also by the holistic approach of Dr. Jasper and Dr. Marx’s team. ‘
‘They don’t just limit themselves to legal problems, they also consider political and economic aspects. Public procurement, budget and state aid law are taken into account as “guard rails” for a good overall solution.’
‘Christopher Marx always keeps an overview, develops models and can explain the procedures to all those involved – including in political committees – in an understandable way and promote approval. His pragmatic nature and legal competence lead to great contracts. The contract negotiations he conducts are always constructive and enable the other party to accept a solution that is also suitable for him.’
‘The team’s know-how is second to none and there is a very trusting client relationship.’
‘Martin Schellenberg gets to the heart of the matter in a short, concise but very precise way. Through his unpretentious approach, facts are formulated solidly and convincingly.’
‘Efforts are always appropriate to the matter. The team is “worth the price” because they achieve good economic results while the budget for the consultation is kept.’
‘Ute Jasper: With her, the award team is led by an outstanding personality who can develop and implement strategies even for the most difficult problems.’
CMS has established a great reputation due to its advice on numerous award and review proceedings as well as its longstanding cooperation with cities and municipalities; the group not only has extensive know-how in the supply, energy, IT and security, infrastructure, construction and health sectors, but is also also very experienced in cross-border procurement cases; among other matters, the team advises on procurement issues related to the expansion of the German electricity and gas transmission network (with regards to climate change), often supports large clinic-supplying pharmacies in procurement and review proceedings and assists the public sector with the allocation of subsidies in the health sector. Christian Scherer (defense and security, PPP, construction and infrastructure) and Jakob Steiff (advice to bidders in the healthcare sector, construction and infrastructure industries) co-head the practice, which also includes key contact Volkmar Wagner (bidder advice in the healthcare sector, defense and security, IT, infrastructure in the energy sector).
‘Volkmar Wagner: Legally brilliant and very good at conveying his legal findings to outsiders. The parties involved within the law firm work together efficiently and completely smoothly. The level of professionalism is second to none.’
Land Baden-Württemberg (verschiedene Ministerien und Landesoberbehörden)
Stadt Frankfurt am Main
Land Hessen / WIBank
hkk Handelskrankenkasse Bremen
- Advising Bayernets on all procurement proceedingsfor the construction of the new Wertingen-Kötz gas transmission pipeline.
- Advising the financing banks with regard to the B247 Mühlhausen-Bad Langensalza project as Lenders Legal Advisor with regard to the DBFO PPP project B 247 Mühlhausen to Bad Langensalza, in particular due diligence of the project documentation as well as drafting and negotiating the financing contracts and collateral documentation up to the financial closing.
- Successful advice and representation of wholesale pharmacy Schwanen-Apotheke Offenbach on the takeover of the pharmacy supply of the large hospital Frankfurt-Höchst (spin-off of the previous hospital pharmacy) including takeover of the staff.
Gleiss Lutz's procurement team mainly stands out for its expertise in the healthcare sector and is particularly active in assisting statutory health insurance companies, which the group also represents in litigious proceedings; the practice demonstrates further industry knowledge in IT tenders and in the transport, security and infrastructure sectors. Christiane Freytag frequently advises on intersectional public procurement and compliance matters, while practice head Andreas Neun often assists with privatizations and public-private partnerships.
‘Highly connected team, very quick perception/help/response, high reaction speed – pragmatic as well as practical solutions that are legally tenable and justifiable.’
‘Very high level of competence in public procurement law, public law, IT contract law; know our – sometimes difficult – framework conditions and environment very well and give the feeling of finding a joint solution, which in the end, if necessary, will also be tackled legally with a high chance of success. They are proactive in the specific matter, but also on the subject in general.’
AOK-Bundesverband und AOKs
Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung
Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung
Karl Storz SE & Co. KG
Dr. Sennewald Medizintechnik
ubitricity Gesellschaft für verteilte Energiesyste
- Advice to AOK-Bundesverband GbR on the electronic patient file (frontend, backend and operation) and the telematics infrastructure in German health law as well as support in the relevant tender and the negotiation of relevant essential contracts.
- Representation of AOK Baden-Württemberg in several award reviews regarding the award procedure AOK Z 1 for the conclusion of active substance-related discount agreements.
Heussen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH represents cities, municipalities and states as well as companies in national and EU-wide procurement proceedings in the defense and service sectors and also advises on the interface to construction, energy and IT contract issues; further expertise exists in contentious proceedings at national and EU level. The excellently connected team in Munich is headed by public procurement lawyer Uwe-Carsten Völlink, while Iris Meeßen and Norbert Huber are other key contacts; Angelika Schwabe, who acts at the interface of public procurement, construction and real estate law, joined the practice from BUSE in December 2021.
‘In my opinion, Heussen’s public procurement law team is particularly characterized by the fact that advice is always provided with the client’s perspective in a targeted and – if possible – pragmatic manner.’
‘Uwe-Carsten Völlink: Very practical, open to mutual exchange, highly recommended.’
‘Work quickly, conscientiously and have broad knowledge of all areas of public law, especially procurement law. Especially in terms of efficiency (hours billed), the law firm is better than other law firms we work with. A very senior and experienced team often actually does the work themselves.’
‘Uwe-Carsten Völlink: A very experienced lawyer with great expertise.’
‘The service orientation of Heussen is simply a pleasure!’
‘Iris Meeßen and Norbert Huber: They use their outstanding specialist knowledge to always develop practice-oriented, interest-based and targeted solutions. Both lawyers are great pillars in the area of public law and public procurement law. ‘
‘From the processing of small expert opinions to taking over complete Europe-wide procurement procedures, Heussen delivered the best results.’
‘Iris Meeßen: Very good knowledge of public procurement law, very well organised, careful and efficient. Always keeps an eye on the processes and always steers the process (and the customer) in the right direction.’
ESG Elektroniksystem- und Logistik-GmbH
Freistaat Bayern – Wirtschaftsministerium
Rohde & Schwarz GmbH & Co. KG
MBDA Deutschland GmbH
Helmholtz Zentrum München
Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften München
Airbus Defence and Space GmbH
Kärcher Futuretech GmbH
MAN Truck & Bus Deutschland GmbH
U-Bahn Martinsried Projektmanagement GmbH
AKDB Anstalt für Kommunale Datenverarbeitung AöR
DLR Gesellschaft für Raumfahrtanwendungen mbH
Erste Abwicklungsanstalt AöR
Deutsche Rentenversicherung (DRV)
- Advice on public procurement law and representation of Airbus Defense and Space GmbH regarding the Galileo satellite project.
- Advising AKDB Anstalt für Kommunale Datenverarbeitung AöR on in-house procurement and a cooperation (establishment of a software company).
- Advising Goethe-Institut on negotiations with exclusively international bidders, including the implementation of data protection challenges of an online procurement solution.
Kapellmann und Partner
Kapellmann und Partner advises public and private clients on the structuring, conception and handling of procurement proceedings and, if necessary, also represents them in review and submission proceedings, with Alexander Fandrey being particularly active in this area. The team has broad industry expertise and is active in the health, IT, transport and energy sectors, among others. The team is led by the Düsseldorf-based Hendrik Röwekamp, who has extensive experience in advising and representing public and private clients, and Mathias Finke, a Hamburg-based specialist lawyer for construction and architect law. Martin Jansen advises both contractors and beneficiaries in procurement and review proceedings and also has experience in real estate transaction-related public procurement matters. Oskar Maria Geitel and Kathrin Gossen made partners in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great team, a contact person available at all times, very fast and competent feedback on concerns.’
‘Martin Jansen: Strong and competent in public procurement law, pragmatic approach and very effective.’
‘Very good flow of information within the consulting team.’
Leinemann & Partner
Leinemann & Partner's broadly positioned procurement team mainly acts on behalf of the public sector, including numerous federal states, ministries and cities; however, in the road and railway infrastructure sectors, it almost exclusively assists bidding companies. Other practice mainstays include the expansion of the power grid, construction contracts for new industrial halls as well as production sites and hospital procurement. Founding partner and practice head Ralf Leinemann as well as Henrik Nonhoff both specialise in public procurement law as well as construction law, while Leinemann is also active in litigation and as an arbitrator. Oliver Homann, who advises both public clients and bidders on procurement matters in the construction, IT and service sectors, and subsidy law expert Malte Offermann both made partner in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very high level of competence – concise and to the point advice – spontaneous advice: reliable telephone information – trusting atmosphere – best availability.’
‘Henrik Nonhoff advises tactically intelligently with foresight and sensitivity, but always at eye level and with a view to the interests of the client.’
‘Henrik Nonhoff’s team: Very committed, professionally and personally excellent, good negotiators with an overview and sensitivity.’
Agaplesion Allgemeines Krankenhaus Hagen gGmbH
Agaplesion gAG sowie alle Untergesellschaften
Alb Fils Kliniken
BäderBetriebe Frankfurt GmbH
Baugesellschaft Universitätsmedizin Göttingen
Bietergemeinschaft Marti GmbH Deutschland/ Marti Tunnel AG/Johann Bunte
Carl-Thiem-Klinikum Cottbus gGmbH (CTK)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Deutsche Kinder- und Jugendstiftung (DKJS)
Gerhard Lühn GmbH & Co. KG, Lingen
Immanuel Albertinen Diakonie gGmbH
INKoBau Ingolstädter Kommunalbauten GmbH & Co. KG
Klinikum Bayreuth GmbH
Kommunale Unfallversicherung Bayern
Land Berlin, Senatsverwaltung für Inneres und Sport, Abteilung Sport – IV EURO 1, Projektleitung EURO 2024
Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen Girozentrale
Landesbetrieb für Immobilienmanagement und Grundvermögen Hamburg – LIG
Leonhard Weiss GmbH & Co. KG
Ministerium für Energie, Wirtschaft und Digitalisierung Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Nyenhuis Umweltservice GmbH
RDC Autozug Sylt GmbH
Riepl Riepl Architekten ZT GmbH
Rolls-Royce Solutions Willich GmbH
Sana Einkauf & Logistik GmbH
Städtisches Klinikum Brandenburg GmbH
Stiftung Planetarium Berlin am Insulaner und das Zeiss-Großplanetarium
Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz Berlin
Stiftung Wohlfahrtspflege NRW
Technische Universität Kaiserslautern
TRIGIS GeoServices GmbH
Universitätsklinikum Magdeburg (A.ö.R.)
Vulkan Energiewirtschaft Oderbrücke GmbH (VEO)
- Comprehensive public procurement and construction law support for BäderBetriebe Frankfurt GmbH regarding the replacement of the largest leisure pool in Frankfurt/Main.
- Comprehensive advice on public procurement law to the Senate Department for the Interior and Sport of the State of Berlin on all issues relating to EURO 2024, including procurement procedures for the sustainability concept and the mobility concept.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH primarily, but not exclusively, acts for the public sector in the IT, healthcare, energy and real estate sectors and advised on large tenders for corona vaccine procurement, digitization, sustainability projects and urban development. Stefan Mager focuses on public utility and business operating system procurement, construction and IT procurement, as well as EU-wide and national procurement in the goods and services sector; the team around practice head Ulf-Dieter Pape is also involved in review proceedings before various procurement chambers and higher regional courts. In January 2022, Munich-based bar-certified specialist for public procurement law Tobias Osseforth joined the team from LUTZ | ABEL RECHTSANWALTS PARTG MBB.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent expertise and optimal project support.’
‘High procurement law competence and commitment of Mr. Ulf-Dieter Pape.’
‘High level of procurement law expertise paired with an eye for what is essential and feasible. Adapted to the market situation, public procurement necessities are combined with what is feasible. The law firm’s response and implementation times are very good.’
‘Stefan Mager: Very good knowledge/ high reputation in the field of public procurement law, especially in the construction sector; good contacts.’
‘The cooperation with the procurement team is very trusting, professional and of the highest quality!’
‘Tobias Osseforth: Excellent specialist knowledge and practical experience in public procurement law; Knowledge of the bidding side and the public sector as well as very good practical understanding of respective concerns; very quickly in a position to develop innovative and individually tailored solutions to the client’s specific needs on an ad hoc basis in meetings or appointments with the client and to explain these to the client in an easily understandable way, including risk analysis.’
‘Communication with contacts was very efficient, client questions, especially regarding the selection of the most suitable procurement procedure and the specific procedure, were answered and processed very quickly and always in line with requirements. The team independently pointed out risks and pitfalls, including submitting specific proposals for solutions, so that we felt very well looked after by the client.’
‘Very good practical understanding, strong solution orientation, especially in complex construction matters in large projects.’
BVG Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe AöR
LNVG Landesnahverkehrsgesellschaft Niedersachsen
Dortmunder Stadtwerke Aktiengesellschaft
Hallesche Verkehrs AG
Landesamt für Zentrale Polizeiliche Dienste NRW
Ministerium für Kinder, Familie, Flüchtlinge und Integration des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Comprehensive advice on public procurement law to the State Office for Central Police Services NRW, the State Criminal Police Office of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia and the Ministry of the Interior of North Rhine-Westphalia on IT procurement projects relating to telecommunications surveillance, data analysis and – under the direct leadership of the Ministry of the Interior of North Rhine-Westphalia – the procurement of a nationwide emergency call app based on a federal government -Country Agreement.
- Advice on public procurement law to Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (AöR) regarding the tender for train control technology for the subway to optimize the train sequence using a new, radio-based train control system (CBTC).
- Comprehensive public procurement advice to Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg on the new construction of the media and culture campus Masurenallee Berlin.
Operating from several German locations, LUTZ | ABEL RECHTSANWALTS PARTG MBB's procurement team assists both contracting authorities and bidders and has outstanding expertise in a wide variety of sectors: the team is active in the IT/digitization, telecommunications, health and research industries and manages major projects in the infrastructure sector, where it is also adept at advising on associated sustainability requirements. Practice head Mathias Mantler primarily advises public clients and Christian Kokew, who made equity partner in January 2022, has particular expertise at the interface to employment and IT law. At the same time, Anne-Christine Wieler, who is experienced in the infrastructure and research sectors, was promoted to non-equity partnership, while Tobias Osseforth (health, IT, construction and planning sectors) joined Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH. Daniel Junk and Marc Röbke also have extensive experience in procurement proceedings, with the latter often acting on EU level.
‘Anne-Christine Wieler convinces with her competence and her specialist knowledge in the field of European tendering for construction work.’
‘Very good technical expertise in public procurement law and public law, as both contracting authorities and contractors in the public sector are advised. Pragmatic approach to the task, with the focus always on the goal and achieving the best possible result for the client.’
‘Mathias Mantler: I appreciate the pragmatic approach. The technical expertise is excellent, you feel very well looked after here. Due to the work for both public clients and their contractors, there is a very comprehensive view of the legal areas in question, so that the chances of success, eg of lawsuits, can be realistically assessed from the start.’
‘The legal advice is sound at all times, the key contacts are also available for short-term inquiries.’
‘At Lutz Abel, individual lawyers impress with their great professional competence. Particularly noteworthy, however, is the very good cooperation and coordination within the team of consultants, which often includes lawyers from different locations and areas of law. We benefit directly from this, as we quickly receive all important information from a single source. We are very satisfied with the quality of the advice and appreciate the uncomplicated cooperation and very good availability.’
‘Marc Röbke and Christian Kokew: They accompanied our funding project with great expertise and foresight. Both convince with their comprehensive expertise in public procurement law and with their pragmatic and practical solutions, in which they always have other relevant areas of law in mind.’
‘I see a strength, also compared to other law firms, in its always available advisory competence based on a sound knowledge of public procurement law.’
‘Daniel Junk: Trustworthy, individual and solution-oriented advice with a feel for the right procedure model and the right procedural steps.’
actori GmbH als Hauptauftragnehmer der Bundesanstalt für Arbeitsschutz und Arbeitsmedizin
Aloys Baron GmbH
Berufsförderungswerk München gemeinnützige GmbH
Bundesagentur für Arbeit
Bundesgartenschau Mannheim 2023 gGmbH
Bundesstiftung Magnus Hirschfeld
EIT RawMaterials GmbH
FJD Information Technologies AG
Gürlich Vítek & Partners
Hanse Innovation Campus GmbH (vormals BioMed Tec Management GmbH)
Humboldt Forum Service GmbH
Internationaler Bund e.V. (IB)
Investitionsbank des Landes Brandenburg
Kliniken des Landkreis Lörrach gGmbH
Klinikum Memmingen AöR
Kyndryl Deutschland GmbH
LAMILUX Heinrich Strunz GmbH
MIKRONIKA spólka z o.o
R+E ARCUS Klinik GmbH
Stiftung Humboldt Forum im Berliner Schloss
Technische Universität München
TMH Trading GmbH (Steyr, Österreich)
TUM Campus Heilbronn
VBB Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH
Verbund der Jobcenter Holzminden, Landkreis Northeim, Hameln-Pyrmont, Kreis Siegen-Wittgenstein
- Comprehensive advice to VBB Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH in the transport sector, on complex and sometimes new legal issues at the interface to several areas of law (subsidy law, state aid law, IT law).
- Comprehensive project-related advice to the contracting authority on all procurement and contract law issues for the new construction of the Flugfeldklinikum (project volume: over €500 million) for the Kreiskliniken Böblingen gGmbH.
- Cross-practice and cross-location advice to the association of job centers in Holzminden, district of Northeim, Hameln-Pyrmont and district of Siegen-Wittgenstein on intersectional matters (procurement law, grant law, data protection law, social security law).
The cross-location team at ADVANT Beiten has particular expertise in IT sector procurement, but is also increasingly active in the shipbuilding, high-tech, health and energy sectors; here, the team primarily advises contracting authorities, while its assistance to bidders is consistently expanded. The team is jointly led by Stephan Rechten, who is not only very experienced in public procurement but also in administrative, grant and state aid law, and Hans Georg Neumeier, who is particularly active in project development, infrastructure, information technology and defense. Michael Brückner assists with national and Europe-wide procurement proceedings, privatisation and PPP projects, while Max Stanko has expertise in public procurement law as well as in subsidy, state aid and construction law. Jan Christian Eggers (procurement, state aid and general EU law) joined Esche Schümann Commichau in December 2021.
‘Absolutely pragmatic, addressee-oriented and quickly available first-class legal advice, even for complex issues.’
‘The Advant Beiten team has always been very helpful to us. Quick answers, quick help and an overall smooth process are a matter of course for the team around Mr. Rechten and Mr. Stanko.’
‘Max Stanko and Stephan Rechten: The communication is always at eye level, is factual, trusting, direct and human, which also leads to very good results. There’s no “can’t do it” here.’
‘Very pleasant and uncomplicated communication with regular updates on the current progress of tenders. The technical information was always reliable and helpful in coping with our tasks.’
‘Industry knowledge, understanding of complex, technical issues.’
‘Stephan Rechten and Michael Brückner: Very competent and good.’
‘Outstanding expertise; Practical advice that can be implemented, hands-on mentality, outstanding process preparation and management.’
Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
Evangelische Diakonissenanstalt Augsburg KöR
Institut für Qualität und Wirtschaftlichkeit im Gesundheitswesen (IQWiG)
Institut für Qualitätssicherung und Transparenz im Gesundheitswesen (IQTIG )
Krankenhaus GmbH Landkreis Weilheim-Schongau
Landesamt für Information und Technik des Landes NRW (IT.NRW)
Medline International Germany GmbH und Medline International B.V.
Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Innovation, Digitalisierung und Energie des Landes NRW
Ministerium der Finanzen des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt
Olympiastadion Berlin GmbH
S+K Services GmbH
Stiftung Humboldt Forum im Berlin Schloss
Zentrale Stelle für Informationstechnik im Sicherheitsbereich (ZITiS)
- Advice and support for the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) in a comprehensive award procedure in the high-technology sector.
- Advising the space agency of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) on several major satellite projects on procurement, contract and pricing issues.
- Advice on public procurement, contract and IT law to state company IT.NRW on the re-awarding of the state data network in several lots.
BLOMSTEIN Rechtsanwälte acts for both contractors and contracting authorities with a focus on digitisation in the health and education industries as well as the infrastructure and financial sectors. When advising on supply chains and market access, clients also benefit from the group's interface expertise in foreign trade and international law, while occasionally politically sensitive proceedings before procurement chambers, higher regional courts as well as civil and administrative courts represent another central practice pillar. Roland Stein has longstanding experience in exclusions, blocking of contracts and self-cleaning, and Pascal Friton is well versed in both procurement proceedings and procurement compliance.
‘Compact but very powerful unit with high specialization. Advise quickly and with less bureaucracy than traditional large law firms.’
‘Pascal Friton: Very good lawyer. Great economic understanding, pragmatic and solution-oriented.’
‘Roland Stein: assertive, very good litigator.’
BPI (Bundesverband der pharmazeutischen Industrie)
EdB (Entschädigungseinrichtung deutscher Banken)
FSG (Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft)
GNY (German Naval Yards)
Stiftung Allianz für Klima und Entwicklung
- Public procurement advice to the BPI on the consideration of production sites when awarding discount contracts for patent-free drugs with active ingredients relevant to health insurance companies.
- Advising FASTNED on public procurement law and competition law regarding the development and operation of charging infrastructure for electric vehicles in Germany.
- Advice on public procurement law to Recare Germany in a large number of public procurement proceedings for digital platforms in the healthcare sector.
CBH Rechtsanwälte's procurement law practice routinely advises bidders in national and Europe-wide tenders and also provides comprehensive support to public clients in complex procurement proceedings, which primarily arise with regards to construction, PPP and public transport; the client base includes federal offices, municipal utilities, cities, research institutes as well as construction and real estate companies. The team is jointly led by Stefan Hertwig, Andreas Haupt and Jan Deuster and also has expertise in review proceedings.
Amand Landesentwicklung GmbH & Co. KG
BAV Bergischer Abfallwirtschaftsverband
Berliner Immobilienmanagement GmbH
BEWA Security GmbH
Bietergemeinschaft A3 Nordbayern GbR
BAV Bergischer Abfallwirtschaftsverband
Bundesamt für Bevölkerungsschutz und Katastrophenhilfe (BBK)
Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung
Heckler & Koch GmbH
Landesbetrieb Straßenbau NRW
- Advice to Max Planck Institute on the new building of Life Sciences Campus Martinsried, including support for the urban planning competition, tendering and drafting of contracts for planning services, as well as tendering and drafting of contracts for construction work.
- Advice to the Federal Government as part of the Vaccine Procurement Task Force.
- Advising Stadtwerke Bonn Verkehrs-GmbH on the conception and support of the tender for the procurement of high-floor trams.
FPS mainly acts for contracting authorities and is very familiar with awards in the IT, research, transport, health, defense and security sectors, while also advising on large infrastructure projects such as the expansion of Frankfurt Airport; here, the team also frequently provides cross-practice advice on construction and real estate matters. Practice head Annette Rosenkötter is considered a proven expert in public procurement and advises sectoral contracting entities and public financial institutions among others.
‘The public procurement team around Dr. Rosenkötter advises in a goal-oriented and competent manner. Fast response times as well as access to specialist colleagues from the IT, employment and trade mark field leave little or no advice to be desired.’
‘Annette Rosenkötter impresses with absolute specialist knowledge, which is always up to date. In the vast majority of cases, her forecasts for upcoming award decisions are absolutely correct. Her and her team provide targeted, competent and fast advice.’
‘Great cooperation, great expertise.’
‘The law firm has always responded very quickly to our inquiries and always called in the relevant experts to process the issue.’
‘The lawyers are characterized by very good specialist knowledge on one hand and by very good customer orientation on the other. In addition, as a customer, you could see that the individuals formed a very good team and thus dealt with our issues very comprehensively and quickly. The advice given by individuals is open and very understandable. It has always been possible to have good and quick availability for an exchange with respective people.’
‘There are specialized people with a wide variety of skills.’
‘Annette Rosenkötter: Very committed and solution-oriented and pursues a pragmatic approach, which is often not the case with lawyers. This means that solutions can be found quickly without losing sight of the legal framework. Availability is always given.’
‘Annette Rosenkötter: In our collaboration I got to know her as a very solution-oriented and pragmatic person. Our questions were professionally and competently handled, and the resulting expertise gave us legal security and made it easier for us to proceed further.’
Accenture ./. Deutsche Bahn wegen HCM Oracle
Arsenal – Institut für Film und Videokunst e.V.
AWO Bezirksverband Hannover
Bietergemeinschaft Angels Event Experience Limited (UK) und Colors Production (Stamex) (Belgien)
BRITA Vivreau GmbH
Bundesrepublik Deutschland – Finanzagentur GmbH
Bürgerhospital und Clementine Kinderhospital gGmbH
Darmstädter Stadtentwicklungs GmbH
DWD Deutscher Wetterdienst
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.
DOSB – Deutscher Olympischer Sportbund
Dr. Knoll, Pfeifer & Partner Unternehmensberatung
ESWE Versorgungs AG
Evangelische Schulstiftung der EBKO
Fraport Ausbau Süd GmbH
HA Hessenagentur GmbH
Heag mobilo GmbH
Hermann Pipersberg jr. GmbH
Hessen Trade & Invest GmbH
Hessenklinik Stadtkrankenhaus Korbach GmbH
HLB Hessenbahn GmbH –
LEA LandesEnergieAgentur Hessen GmbH
Mainzer Netze GmbH
MGH – Münchner Gewerbehof- und Technologiezentrumsgesellschaft mbH
MITA Consulting GmbH
Pro Arbeit Kreis Offenbach
St. Katharinen- und Weißfrauenstift
Staatskanzlei des Saarlandes
Stadt Darmstadt, Heag mobilo GmbH
Stadt Frankfurt am Main – ABI –
Stadtwerke Gießen AG
SV Darmstadt 1898 e.V
Wietmarscher Ambulanz- und Sonderfahrzeug GmbH
Zentrale Beteiligungsgesellschaft der Stadt Mainz mbH
- Advice on public procurement law to Fraport on the realization of Terminal 3.
- Advice on public procurement law to DLR on the implementation of a pilot plant for the production of climate-neutral, synthetic fuels on an industrial scale.
- Successful advice to Hessische Landesbahn in a review procedure regarding the award of local rail passenger transport in Central Hesse.
GSK Stockmann's procurement law team works for both the public sector and companies and is particularly active in construction and real estate projects, while cooperating closely with other practice groups. Awarding procedures in the IT, healthcare and transport sectors also contribute to group's case load. Jenny Mehlitz and Friedrich Ludwig Hausmann have expertise in advising on the award of construction, supply and service contracts and also represent clients in review proceedings if necessary. Sören Wolkenhauer made partner in January 2022 and Arne Gniechwitz advises on public procurement as well as on state aid law.
‘Obviously good internal relations within respective teams have a positive effect on processing.’
‘Arne Gniechwitz knows the client’s specific needs and advises “on point”.’
‘Friedrich Ludwig Hausmann is an asset.’
‘A very professional demeanor and a comprehensive service thanks to the individual partners; expertise.’
Bundesminsisterium für Digitales und Verkehr (BMDV)
Duisburg Gateway Terminal GmbH
Generaldirektion Wasserstraßen und Schifffahrt GDWS
GKW – Gemeinschaftsklärwerk Bitterfeld-Wolfen GmbH
Jenaer Nahverkehr GmbH
Land Brandenburg/PD Berater der öffentlichen Hand GmbH
OHB System AG
Stadt Wyk auf Föhr
Stiftung Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas
PD – Berater der öffentlichen Hand GmbH
- Advice on public procurement law to the state of Brandenburg regarding the restructuring of the operation of a school cloud in cooperation with other federal states.
- Advice on public procurement and contract law regarding the procurement of construction work and cranes for the construction of Duisburg Gateway Terminal on the coal island in the Port of Duisburg.
- Public procurement structuring of the implementation of replacement scanning for several federal essential users.
GvW Graf von Westphalen
GvW Graf von Westphalen primarily acts for contracting authorities in the IT, security, transport and research sectors and is particularly active in the healthcare industry: here, the group regularly advises hospitals on Hospital Future Act funding programs. Practice head Bettina Meyer-Hofmann covers the interface between public procurement, subsidy and health law, while Michael Kleiber, who made partner in January 2022, specialises in regulatory issues.
‘Very well organised law firm, also in connection with cross-legal advice. Complex issues are dealt with in a goal-oriented manner and at short notice. Very good negotiating skills, short-term and very good availability.’
acatech / DRM Datenraum Mobilität GmBH
Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Unterricht und Kultus
Fortbildungsakademie der Finanzverwaltung NRW
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V. und div. Institute
Ministerium des Innern für Digitalisierung und Kommunen Baden-Württemberg und Staatskanzlei Freistaat Sachsen
Nahverkehrsservice Sachsen-Anhalt GmbH ./. Abellio GmbH
Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB)
Verband der Reservisten der Deutschen Bundeswehr e.V.
- Advising and supporting the states of Baden-Württemberg and the Free State of Saxony in awarding a service contract for their e-government platforms. The subject of the mandate is the complete support and implementation of the procurement procedure in all procurement law issues and phases of the procurement including the preparation of all procurement documents as well as prospective support of the negotiations with possible contractors.
- Advice on projects for security authorities, including the establishment of police headquarters in Münster, Dortmund, Oberhausen and Krefeld.
- Advising the State of Saxony-Anhalt and the Free State of Thuringia as well as other public authorities with regional responsibilities regarding the rail network in Central Germany affected by the Abellio insolvency.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's internally and globally well-connected team has accumulated specialised knowledge in the defense and life sciences sectors and handles proceedings of strategic importance, such as those regarding market access. In addition to public procurement law, practice head Marc Schweda is also well versed in antitrust and competition law and regularly advises on claims and EU state aid law, while Thomas Dünchheim complements his national and European procurement experience with expertise in gaming law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Thomas Dünchheim: The very best expertise in the municipal sector; as a former mayor he is also familiar with exotic subjects.’
‘Excellent legal knowledge of the community.’
‘Thomas Dünchheim: A very experienced partner in public procurement law, who always advises in a very pragmatic and focused manner.’
Moderna Switzerland GmbH
Autobahn Tank & Rast GmbH
NRW Bank und Nord/LB
Autobahn Tank & Rast GmbH
Stadtwerke Menden Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Investitionsbank Sachsen-Anhalt der Norddeutschen Landesbank Girozentrale
rhenag Rheinische Energie Aktiengesellschaft
Kyndryl Deutschland GmbH
EAM Beteiligungen GmbH (Kasseler Verkehrs- und Versorgungs GmbH Landkreis Kassel, Landkreis Hersfeld-Rotenburg Schwalm-Eder-Kreis Landkreis Waldeck-Frankenberg Kreisausschuss des Werra-Meißner-Kreises Körperschaft des Öffentlichen Rechts)
Stadtwerke Oberursel GmbH
BEW Bergische Energie- und Wasser GmbH
Kiepe Electric GmbH
GSS Zweite Projektmanagement GmbH
- Advising Moderna on public procurement law in various German and European tendering procedures for vaccine procurement (in particular with regard to the Covid-19 vaccine Spikevax®), including the German Taksforce vaccine production tendering procedure for the award of pandemic preparedness contracts and the EU Commission’s procurement procedure for supply and delivery of Covid-19 vaccine Spikevax for low and lower-middle income countries.
- Advising EAM, which, together with KVV and the five North Hessian districts, is privatizing the two telecommunications companies BNG and NCK. This M&A deal took place in a structured bidding process shaped by state aid and budgetary law.
- Comprehensive advice to Lockheed Martin on the procurement project of the Federal Armed Forces Procurement Office (BAIINBw) for the heavy transport helicopter (STH), including representation in the award review procedure before the Federal Public Procurement Chamber and the Düsseldorf Higher Regional Court.
The procurement law team at Oppenländer Rechtsanwälte stands out due to its expertise and longstanding experience in the healthcare sector and advises drug manufacturers on tenders for drug discount contracts, among other matters. Other fields of activity include broadband cable tenders and the assistance of ministries, cities and companies with regional and public transport awards. Joachim Ott often advises on review proceedings before state and federal public procurement tribunals and team leader Matthias Ulshöfer has experience in landmark proceedings and also acts at the interface to antitrust law.
‘Extremely high level of expertise, speed and competence, extremely high level of industry knowledge.’
‘Matthias Ulshöfer: Absolute expert in public procurement law, very quick learner, extremely high level of expertise.’
‘Very good support of the matter right from the start: immediately got an appointment with two lawyers who were technically very competent and also confidently discussed further procedure and tactics – one felt that one was in good hands. The pleadings were very detailed and professional, and overall a high level of expertise and professional experience can be assumed.’
Accord Healthcare Ltd. (UK)
Accord Healthcare GmbH
Connect Com GmbH, Connect Com AG (Schweiz)
Dexcel Pharma GmbH
Geistdörfer GmbH& Co. KG
Hirschburger Frischdienst GmbH
Müller Reisen GmbH& Co. KG
Optica Abrechnungszentrum Dr. Güldener GmbH
Purple Pulse Lidar Systems S.L.
SP-Sinan Polat Bau GmbH
Stahlbau Magdeburg GmbH
Th. Geyer GmbH& Co. KG (führendes Handelsunternehmen für Laborbedarf und Ingredients, Aromen und Duftstoffe)
Urgo GmbH (Verbandsmittelhersteller, französicher Urgo Konzern)
- Representation of Swiss Connect Com AG in ongoing anti-dumping and anti-subsidy proceedings of the EU Commission.
- Representation of Forst BW, which manages the forest areas of the state of Baden-Württemberg as an institution under public law, in a review procedure regarding licensing agreements or lease agreements for a total of seven wind turbine locations.
- Advising SP-Sinan Polat Bau GmbH on several large tenders for civil engineering measures regarding broadband cable network expansion.
Redeker Sellner Dahs
Redeker Sellner Dahs advises the public sector at federal, state and municipal level as well as companies on procurement law. The team is mainly active in the construction, waste, IT, research and services sectors, but also increasingly assists with matters in the healthcare industry and related to its digitisation. Thus, highly regarded public procurement lawyer Heike Glahs assisted with the procurement proceeding for the first cultivation of cannabis in Germany, while Matthias Ganske represents clients in procurement review proceedings and civil damages claims related to procurement violations.
avocado Rechtsanwälte‘s procurement law practice not only advises on relevant matters pertaining to waste disposal, digitization, planning and construction, but also increasingly assists client in the healthcare, education and energy sectors. The team is jointly led by Markus Figgen, who is particularly active in advising bidders in the disposal sector, and Rebecca Schäffer, who regularly oversees matters related to PPP, supply and disposal, traffic and infrastructure, digitization and IT, as well as planning and construction. Nils-Alexander Weng is involved in procurement proceedings as well as contentious matters in the healthcare, culture and infrastructure industries.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team around Rebecca Schäffer and Nils-Alexander Weng always gave us excellent advice on procurement law.’
‘Rebecca Schäffer: An outstanding lawyer who is always available to provide comprehensive advice. We always felt that we were in very good hands with her when facing legal concerns and problems and can recommend her unreservedly. What sets her apart from her competitors is her extraordinarily good technical ability and her accompanying empathy, always adapting well and skillfully to the needs of the client as well as to the necessary requirements of the opposing side and also communicating this.’
‘The law firm works extremely professionally, is very service-oriented in terms of time and is extremely reliable.’
‘Rebecca Schäffer: Extremely service-oriented, high level of specialist knowledge and able to delve deep into complex project content and to advance and optimize it together, reliable beyond measure and always available, very precise in her work, is able to make complex legal issues understandable for non-lawyers.’
‘Excellent professional competence and always solution-oriented! Results can be implemented immediately, even in the case of difficult problem situations. Professional analyzes and always on an equal footing with the client.’
‘Rebecca Schäffer: One of the leading experts in innovation procurement.’
‘Markus Figgen: Industry leader, perfect knowledge of the industry and outstanding legal expertise. Rebecca Schäffer: Extensive and excellent experience in public procurement law. Extensive knowledge of the industry. Outstanding and strategic litigation!’
‘Nils-Alexander Weng: A proven expert in the field of public procurement law.’
AVG Abfallentsorgungs- und Verwertungsgesellschaft Köln mbH
AWB Köln GmbH
BDE Bundesverband der deutschen Entsorgungswirtschaft e.V.
BLUES Bay. Logistik Umwelt & Entsorgungs Systeme GmbH
Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels Landesverband Berlin-Brandenburg e.V.
Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik (DIBt)
DEvAL – Deutsches Evaluierungsinstitut der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
Dialogue Social Enterprice GmbH
EW Medien & Kongresse GmbH
Gas- und Wärmeinstitut Essen e. V.
GMVA Gemeinschafts-Müll-Verbrennungsanlage Niederrhein GmbH
Hessenwasser GmbH & Co. KG
Hochschule für Musik und darstellende Kunst Frankfurt am Main
Industrie- und Handelskammer Köln
Innotec Abfallmanagement GmbH
Institut für Qualität und Wirtschaftlichkeit im Gesundheitswesen (IQWiG)
Kliniken im Naturpark Altmühltal
Reguvis Fachmedien GmbH
REMONDIS GmbH & Co. KG, Region Nord
REMONDIS GmbH & Co. KG Rheinland
S+P Engineering GmbH
Schönmackers Umweltdienste GmbH & Co. KG sowie deren Tochterunternehmen
Stadtbetrieb Frechen GmbH
- Advising REMONDIS GmbH & Co. on public procurement, corporate, municipal constitution, waste, commercial rental space, IT/data protection and employment law regarding its participation in a complex negotiation process for the establishment of a PPP company.
- Comprehensive advice on public procurement and contract law to the University Hospital Ulm in several large tender projects.
- Advice on public procurement law to the district of Gifhorn in connection with the tender for a general planner for an innovative energy storage system at the Ausbüttel waste management center site.
Clifford Chance focuses on procurement in the healthcare sector, including advice to companies in the medical devices, medtech and drug manufacturing arenas – with practice head and counsel Steffen Amelung being particularly active – as well as on infrastructure PPP, which the group covers in cooperation with the firm's project finance team. The practice also supports its private equity colleagues in transactions involving direct participation of the public sector.
‘High technical and professional competence, easy to understand the presentation of difficult legal issues even for non-lawyers, especially in the specific case of local politicians.’
Haver & Mailänder Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB assists both contracting authorities and bidders with a wide range of procurement issues, including procurement proceedings and subsidy-related matters: the team is particularly well versed in the healthcare sector, but also assists clients from the armaments, technology infrastructure, culture and public transport. Alexander Hübner heads the practice and is adept at both German and European public procurement law.
‘Alexander Hübner: An excellent lawyer who has extensive experience both on part of public administrations as well as on part of providers and who works very carefully and gets involved while keeping an eye on practice.’
‘Alexander Hübner impresses with his precise way of working, precise knowledge of public procurement peculiarities , especially in the pharmaceutical industry, and is also a master of strategy.’
‘Even in difficult negotiations, we very much appreciated the prudence and fairness of Dr. Hübner, as he represented us very well. We feel that we are in good hands and highly recommend the law firm!’
- Representation of a global armaments manufacturer in all German procurement procedures of the Federal Ministry of Defence.
- Advice on public procurement law for a federal state on the tender for a cluster portal.
- Advising and representing a city in southern Germany in a damages claim brought by DB Group in connection with track and station renovation.
K&L Gates LLP advises contractors and contracting authorities on procurement law issues, particularly in the transport, infrastructure, logistics and health sectors. The team is involved in various PPP projects in the infrastructure sector, has accompanied numerous procurement projects in rail transport and advises pharmaceutical and medical technology manufacturers on discount agreements and market entries. Practice head Annette Mutschler-Siebert has in-depth industry knowledge in the (rail) infrastructure, pharmaceuticals and healthcare sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Stadtwerke Verkehrsgesellschaft Frankfurt am Main (VGF)
Telio Communications GmbH
- Comprehensive public procurement and subsidy law advice to a developer of new financing solutions regarding the inclusion of an innovative financing model in various tenders for rolling stock and support in entering the German market.
- Advising a municipal public transport company on the design and structuring of a Europe-wide tender for a hydrogen filling station in a major German city and the hydrogen supply contract for the entire process.
- Advising a pharmaceutical company as a co-appearer in a review procedure regarding closed EU supply chains.
KPMG Law in Germany's procurement team advises federal offices and cities as well as hospitals, educational institutions, insurance carriers and companies in the IT, construction and infrastructure sectors on procurement matters; practice head Moritz Püstow has longstanding experience in public procurement in the infrastructure sector, while Henrik-Christian Baumann primarily assists with contract awards in the construction, facility management and real estate industries.
‘Very good feeling for what the client needs. Excellent cross-office work in such a way that the client (almost) doesn’t notice. Always keeping the economic aspects in mind.’
‘Henrik-Christian Baumann: An outstanding lawyer. Very hands-on, incredibly deep into details, manages the mandate outstandingly.’
‘Focus on innovative design options for award procedures.’
‘Julia Gielen: Ability to quickly understand very complex issues; good client communication.’
‘Henrik Baumann understands the challenges for clients.’
Lexton Rechtsanwälte acts for both contracting authorities (Fabian Winters is particularly active here) as well as contractors, primarily from the health and hospital sectors, transport and engineering. The team's expertise spans the entire spectrum of procurement matters, ranging from the preparation of procurement procedures to representation in review proceedings. Practice head Peter Michael Probst is very experienced not only in public procurement law but also in administrative law.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Lexton team is always very competent at our side. Even in extraordinary situations, such as the corona pandemic, you could rely on Mr. Winters and the Lexton team. The law firm’s solutions are always target-oriented and shaped by creativity within the framework of legal possibilities.’
‘Peter Michael Probst and Fabian Winters: Outstanding expertise, very pragmatic, solution-oriented, very personable.’
‘Resource-friendly, friendly law firm (in terms of staff and finances), far-sighted way of working.’
Stadler Deutschland GmbH
Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Vivantes – Netzwerk für Gesundheit GmbH
KRH Klinikum Region Hannover
UKM Infrastruktur Management GmbH
Labor Berlin – Charité Vivantes
AneCom AeroTest GmbH
Klinikum St. Marien Amberg
Klinikum Würzburg Mitte (KWM)
- Successful support of AneCom Aerotest GmbH in the tendering process for the concept study test center CHESCO of contracting authority Brandenburg Technical University Cottbus-Senftenberg.
- Representation of University Hospital Münster (UKM) / UKM Infrastructure Management GmbH in a review proceedings before the Münster Public Procurement Chamber and then the Düsseldorf Higher Regional Court regarding the construction contract for structural work in connection with public subsidies.
Menold Bezler predominantly advises contracting authorities throughout the entire procurement process and is particularly visible in the IT, health and public transport sectors, with Beatrice Fabry recently attracting numerous new instructions in the latter area. Large and complex building construction projects represent another practice focus, in the context of which Frank Meininger impresses with relevant experience. The frequently recommended associate Alexander Dörr primarily acts for the public sector, while Martin Ott regularly advises on procurement in the IT and digitisation sphere.
‘Broad public procurement expertise. High level of awareness through a lot of training and publication activities.’
‘Alexander Dörr has mastered all facets of public procurement law and offers practical solutions for all problems. Very pleasant cooperation.’
‘The team is characterized by a high level of professionalism, very good specialist knowledge, strong communication skills, practical orientation and specific industry knowledge.’
Landkreis Zollernalbkreis, Landkreis Tübingen, Stadt Tübingen
Südwestrundfunk (SWR) AöR
- Advising University of Stuttgart on the award of a technology partnership in the form of a partnering model in a negotiation process.
- Advising the district of Ludwigslust-Parchim on the Europe-wide award of waste logistics services in connection with the founding of a mixed-economy company and successful representation in the review proceeding.
- Advising the city of Ostfildern on the competitive process for selecting a partner for a climate-neutral commercial area.
Acting for for both bidders and the public sector, Raue's procurement expertise is primarily applied in the regulated energy, media and healthcare industries as well as in the real estate and infrastructure sectors and, in addition to extensive support in procurement proceedings, also covers procurement compliance. The bar-certified specialist for public procurement Bettina Tugendreich leads the team and Hans Heller, who focuses on the energy and raw materials sectors, made partner in January 2022.
‘Very well structured, client-oriented.’
‘Professionally competent and personable.’
‘Preliminary work is carried out promptly and reliably. Questions are answered and solved in a practical way.’
Planungsgemeinschaft Neues Gartenfeld
Land Berlin (Tegel Projekt GmbH
Berliner Verkehrsbe-triebe An-stalt des öffentlichen Rechts (BVG
Kapsch TrafficCom AG, Wien
envia Mitteldeutsche Energie AG
MITGAS Mitteldeutsche Gasversorgung GmbH
Z-Catering Berlin GmbH & Co. KG
- Support for the Neues Gartenfeld planning community in a bidding process for the selection of a district utility operator (central heating supply, cooling supply, electricity including tenant electricity, autonomous driving, service water, IT district networks), including extensive negotiations and support for the project developer up to the conclusion of the contract with the bidding consortium ENGIE Germany/GASAG .
- Comprehensive advice to Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe AöR (BVG), among other things on the continuation of the BerlKönig pilot project for the introduction of an app-supported on-demand bus service and the tenders for converting the bus fleet to electric drives.
- Legal advice to the State of Berlin, represented by the state-owned project company Tegel Projekt GmbH, on the redesign planning of today’s Berlin-Tegel Airport into an innovative commercial, industrial and research location.
Taylor Wessing focuses on the IT, defense and security, infrastructure, public finance and healthcare sectors; here, the group advises both contracting authorities and bidders on tenders, award and review proceedings. Thus, the practice recently assisted authorities with ground handling concession selection proceedings and numerous hospital operators with KHZG funding programs. Michael Brüggemann, who is particularly, but not exclusively, well versed in the defense sector, handles award proceedings as well as contentious cases before the award chambers and higher regional courts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Michael Brüggemann: Supple and confident leadership. He also always knows how to empower his associates and turn them into good advisors. Very good experiences also with training.’
Bundesministerium des Innern (BMI)
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg / HGV
Land Berlin / HiSolutions AG
Land Niedersachsen (Niedersächsische Landesbehörde für Straßenbau und Verkehr)
Enterprise Autovermietung Deutschland B.V + Co. KG
Flughafen Frankfurt Hahn GmbH / Brinkmann & Partner
- Advice on public procurement and state aid law to the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg / Hamburger Gesellschaft für Vermögens- und Beteiligungsmanagement mbH on broadband expansion throughout the city.
- Comprehensive public procurement and state aid advice to Flughafen Frankfurt Hahn GmbH due to insolvency. Conducting a bidding process in accordance with EU state aid law.
- Advising the state of Lower Saxony (Lower Saxony state authority for road construction and transport) on the tender for the concession regarding the provision of ground handling services at Hanover-Langenhagen Airport. Successful representation in court of the selection decision after monitoring the process. Also support of the sector allocation procedure for tendering of air security controls at Braunschweig-Wolfsburg GmbH airport.
BBG und Partner
BBG und Partner's procurement practice advises transport companies and associations on transport projects, especially concerning local rail passenger transport. Niels Griem, Malte Linnemeyer and Gerrit Landsberg are considered to be very experienced in public transport and regional rail transport proceedings. Recently, the team has also increasingly defending clients against applications for reconsiderations. Advice on construction procurement is covered by Johannes Mosters, Ulrike Kohls and Jenny Rösing.
Other key lawyers:
Bayerische Eisenbahn-gesellschaft mbH
BIS Bremerhavener Gesellschaft für Investitionsförderung und Stadtentwicklung mbH
EWE Tel GmbH
FAUN Umwelttechnik GmbH
FHB Freie Hansestadt Bremen – Die Senatorin für Klimaschutz, Umwelt, Mobilität, Stadtentwicklung und Wohnungsbau
FHB Freie Hansestadt Bremen – Die Senatorin für Wissenschaft und Häfen
FHB Freie Hansestadt Bremen – Der Senator für Finanzen
FHB Freie Hansestadt Bremen – Die Senatorin für Wirtschaft, Arbeit und Europa
Fruchthaus Hulsberg Großmarkt Bremen
Immobilien Bremen AöR
Landesanstalt für Altlastenfreistellung des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt
Landesnahverkehrs-gesellschaft Niedersachsen mbH (LNVG)
MDSE Mitteldeutsche Sanierungs- und Entsorgungsgesellschaft mbH
Nordseebad Spiekeroog GmbH
Rebus Regionalbus Rostock GmbH
Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund GmbH (RMV)
Rosenheimer Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH
Stadtwerke Osnabrück AG
VBB Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH
VMV – Verkehrsgesellschaft Mecklenburg-Vorpommern mbH
Chatham Partners LLP
Chatham Partners LLP's special feature lies in the combination of state aid advice with sector-specific experience in the energy (oil and gas trading, renewable energies), real estate and infrastructure (seaports and airports, motorways and IT) sectors. Under the leadership of Marco Núñez Müller, the group thus assists contracting authorities, applicants and bidders with tenders and represents them before public procurement chambers; recently, the practice regularly advised ports and cities on award proceedings for operating concessions.
Lübecker Hafen-Gesellschaft mbH (LHG)
ZEBRA Handelshaus GmbH
Caracal International LLC
Isartal Health Media GmbH & Co. KG
- Advice on public procurement law to LHG Lübecker Hafen-Gesellschaft mbH, the operator of the largest German Baltic Sea port, concerning the award and any changes to port operating concessions.
- Advice on public procurement law to the Hanseatic City of Lübeck regarding the award and any changes to airport and port operating concessions as well as in the context of privatizations.
- Preparation of various procurement law reports and testimony as an expert before the Bundestag investigative committee in connection with the so-called car toll disaster.
The procurement law practice of DLA Piper around Frank Roth counts numerous national and international companies among its clients and advises them on innovation, transformation and digitisation processes. IT procurement represents one of the team's core competencies, although it is also well versed in the infrastructure sector as well as in e-mobility and Covid-19 issues; here, its public procurement advice to SAP regarding the Corona-Warn-App is of particular note. Ludger Giesberts heads the German practice group Litigation & Regulatory, which includes the procurement team.
Other key lawyers:
- Advice on public procurement law and support for the project management and the SAP legal department concerning a large number of legal issues relating to several specialist areas that arose from the establishment and operation of a sovereign cloud platform for the German administration.
- Advising a company from the medical technology sector on the participation in a tender for medical high technology (linear accelerator) for a purchasing group of hospitals, including the successful reprimand of restrictive minimum technical requirements.
- Advice on public procurement and contract law to a leading construction and service group refarding a large PPP project in motorway construction.
Dolde Mayen & Partner
Dolde Mayen & Partner primarily advises the public sector, including cities, districts and states, on the award of contracts for waste management, construction and IT services, public transport and other transport services; occasionally, however, the team also acts on behalf of companies on the bidding side. Andrea Vetter, who has expertise in waste law issues, and Tina Bergmann, who is well versed in the IT and construction sectors, jointly lead the team.
Stadt Horb am Neckar
- Advising Rednet AG on its participation as a bidder in the tender for several large framework agreements in the IT sector, in particular in connection with the digitization of schools.
- Advising the city of Riedlingen on all procurement law issues in connection with the realization of an outpatient medical service center with an outpatient operating room, a ward and a disposal practice as a replacement for a closed hospital.
Hengeler Mueller's team is led by public procurement expert Jan Bonhage and assists national and international clients with construction, security and infrastructure projects, and due to the Covid 19 crisis, also increasingly with digitisation issues; here, the group's practical know-how extends to procurement, review and EU financial control proceedings, while its EU law expertise further enables the team to handle European Commission proceedings as well.
HFK Rechtsanwälte LLP
HFK Rechtsanwälte LLP's strategic core activity includes tender procedures for rail transport projects, in the healthcare and IT sector and in connection with construction projects. Recently, the group saw an increase in instructions in relating to smart city projects, not least thanks to public procurement lawyer Till Kemper, who is also considered an expert in urban planning and environmental law. The practice is headed by Jörg Stoye and Sebastian Conrad and represents its clients in award and review proceedings, injunction proceedings and damage claims proceedings, among other matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sebastian Conrad: Excellent specialist knowledge, always available and with a holistic view of the company’s needs.’
‘Sebastian Conrad: Very great expertise in his special field, very quick answers, comprehensive knowledge, good ideas, understandable even for legal laypeople, convincing arguments, very customer-oriented, adheres to all deadlines.’
‘Sebastian Conrad: Pragmatic approach, IT and public procurement law from a single source.’
BWMK Behinderten-Werk Main-Kinzig e. V., einschließlich Tochterunternehmen Heinzelmännchen Hausdienstleistungen Service GmbH und Heinzelmännchen Wäscheservice & Hausdienstleistungsgesellschaft mbH
ekom21 – Kommunales Gebietsrechenzentrum Hessen Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts
Flughafen GmbH Kassel
Gemeinde Langenargen am Bodensee
HA Hessen Agentur GmbH
KWS Verkehrsmittelwerbung GmbH
RTW Planungsgesellschaft mbH, Frankfurt
Stadtbahngesellschaft mbH Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe (SBHG)
Städtisches Klinikum Karlsruhe gGmbH
Universitätsklinikum Mannheim GmbH
- Advising RTW planning company project: Regionaltangente West on various award procedures for planning services and property monitoring.
- Advising BWI GmbH, a public IT company of the federal government for the defense and security sector, on large-volume IT contracts.
- In cooperation with the Center for Digital Development GmbH, advising the municipalities of Aalen and Heidenheim on the strategic planning, awarding and implementation of smart city solutions.
Noerr's interdisciplinary team stands out due to its procurement law expertise in infrastructure and technology projects and primarily advises on the bidder side. The practice is also increasingly active in the transport sector, with practice head Olav Wagner having particular expertise here, while Julian von Lucius complements his procurement skills with extensive knowledge of telecommunications and media law.
MIDEWA Wasserversorgungsgesellschaft in Mitteldeutschland GmbH
Gefa – ein Verbund der Bundesländer
autoTicket GmbH Projektgesellschaft eines internationalen Bieter-konsortiums, bestehend aus Kapsch TrafficCom und CTS EVENTIM
Thüringer Staatslotterie AöR
- Advice on procurement, corporate, public and labor law to a bidder in the tender for the transfer of express traffic in East Bavaria from Bayerische Eisenbahngesellschaft mbH (BEG) and representation in the review proceedings of a competitor.
- Advice on procurement law, contract law and public law to a bidder participating in the procurement procedure for the so-called Germany network by the BMVI.
- Ongoing advice to MIDEWA on various issues relating to the award of drinking water concessions, including contentious proceedings.
Oppenhoff advises domestic as well as foreign industrial and medium-sized companies, primarily from the aviation, IT and defense sectors, on procurement law matters and also represents them before courts and procurement chambers if necessary. In addition, clients are supported in transactions with public clients. Cross-border awards have become an increasing focus for the practice which thereby applies its expertise in foreign trade law. Heiko Höfler leads the team and has extensive experience in court representation.
Other key lawyers:
Airbus Defence and Space
IAI Israel Aerospace Industries
Sparkassen Finanz Informatik
Rittershaus applies its public procurement expertise in procurement and review proceedings in the health, construction and IT sectors and also frequently assists the public sector, especially cities and municipalities, with integrated project management; thus, the practice advises on pilot projects across numerous sectors. Practice head Antje Boldt is particularly active here; she joined the firm together with the experienced public procurement lawyers Manuela Luft and Julia Zerwell from Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein in October 2021.
‘Good cohesion; Expertise that complements each other perfectly, well equipped, incredibly friendly and customer-oriented.’
‘Mrs. Prof. Antje Boldt and Ms. Manuela Luft: Unparalleled expertise in the areas of public procurement law, civil construction law and engineering and architect law, construction supplements and supplement negotiations. In addition, both lawyers are very friendly and respectful in their dealings.’
‘Antje Boldt: Leading in the development of the integrative approach in construction contract law, especially for public clients in public procurement law.’
Deutsche Bahn AG, DB Fahrzeuginstandhaltung GmbH
GML – Gemeinschafts-Müllheizkraftwerk Ludwigshafen GmbH
Stadt Frankfurt am Main
- Advice to DB Fahrzeuginstandhaltung GmbH on award proceedings for the Phönix project – new plant in Cottbus.
- Advising GML – Gemein-Müllheizkraftwerk Ludwigshafen GmbH on the design of a tender for the disposal of mineral processing residues and filter dust from the operation of the waste-to-energy plant.
- Regular advice on public procurement law to the city of Frankfurt am Main.
SKW Schwarz advises both the public sector, often at the hands of Mathias Pajunk, as well as private clients and is particularly experienced in procurement in the healthcare sector (rescue service, tele-emergency medical infrastructure) and in the IT, civil and data protection industries. René Kieselmann has in-depth knowledge of health hazard prevention and advises clients, legislators and aid organizations in this regard.
Other key lawyers:
‘SKW Schwarz is a very effective and powerful law firm.’
‘René Kieselmann has very sound technical knowledge and applies it in the right places.’
‘SKW Schwarz’s team is always present and available. Inquiries are processed and answered quickly, even if the responsible lawyer is not there. Even during the pandemic, when we all had to immerse ourselves in a new working environment, SKW Schwarz’ service did not suffer. We are still very satisfied with the cooperation.’
Landkreis-Sächsische Schweiz Osterzgebirge
DRK Kreisverband Naumburg/Nebra e.V.
Zweckverband für Rettungsdienst und Feuerwehralarmierung Saar
DRK KV Uelzen e.V.
Jet Brakel Aero GmbH / Velux Group
DRK KV Ostholstein e.V.
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz Landesverband Berliner Rotes Kreuz e.V. und Tochtergesellschaft SWB gGmbH
DRK KV Aachen e.V.
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz Rettungs- und
Einsatzdienste Düsseldorf gGmbH
DRK e.V. -Generalsekretariat
- Advice on public procurement law for the non-profit DRK-Gesellschaft, Deutsches Rotes Kreuz Landesverband Berliner Rotes Kreuz eV and subsidiary SWB gGmbH, which set up vaccination centers in Berlin at six locations within a very short period of time.
- Advising the district of Saxon Switzerland-Osterzgebirge KdöR on tender calls for the rescue service/civil protection beginning in 2021.
- Advising IQ Medworks on the award of a tele emergency doctor; interdisciplinary advice on the strategy for public tenders in the area of teleemergency medical services, IT in the area of health hazard prevention.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP acts for both the public sector and private companies and offers holistic advice on infrastructure and digitization projects in the telecommunications, health, education and transport sectors. Practice head Felix Siebler has many years of experience in commercial administration, public procurement and state aid law and focuses on financing advice as well as the conception and implementation of procurement procedures in the construction, supply and services industries.
Other key lawyers:
Alcatel Lucent Deutschland GmbH
Autobahn GmbH des Bundes
Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr
DeRZ Deutsche Rechenzentren GmbH
Eurofiber Germany GmbH
Fernwärme GmbH Hohenmölsen-Webau
HJS Emission Technology GmbH & Co. KG
Jonas Better Place GmbH
Kliniken Südostbayern AG
Klinik Kompetenz Bayern eG und Kommunale Altenhilfe Bayern eG
Klinikum Landkreis Erding
Körperbehinderte Allgäu GmbH
Laber-Naab Infrastruktur GmbH
LANCOM Systems GmbH
Naturwärme Kirchweidach-Haslach GmbH
NS Groep N.V. / Abellio Transport Holding B.V.
Stadt Weiden i.d. Oberpfalz
- Advising the Bavarian State Ministry for Housing, Construction and Transport on the conception of the process, including award conditions and preparation of the contract and implementation of a Europe-wide negotiation process with prior participation competition in accordance with § 17 VgV for the tendering of a framework agreement for the use of employee bicycles by way of deferred compensation as a leasing model for more than 300,000 employees of the Free State of Bavaria, Bavarian State Forests and University Clinics; participation in the development of a concept for the implementation of an IT interface for personnel administration.
- Advising NS Groep NV / Abellio Transport Holding BV on negotiations on the part of the Dutch state railway as a shareholder regarding a holding company for the national companies in Germany Abellio Rail NRW, Abellio Rail Mitteldeutschland, Westfalenbahn and Abellio Rail Baden-Württemberg with public transport authorities on the admissibility under public procurement and state aid law the adjustment and continuation of transport contracts after the insolvency of the national companies concerned and preparation of the notification of aid to the EU Commission, preparation of various legal opinions and support in individual negotiations with public authorities on the side of the national companies.
- Advising Eurofiber Germany GmbH on cooperation and participation with NGN Fiber Networks KG and Nokia Solutions and Networks GmbH & Co. as a bidding consortium in the award procedure for the BOSnet access network project of the Free State of Bavaria, including examination and negotiation of the cooperation agreement.