Public procurement in Germany
Baker McKenzie's two-partner procurement practice exhibits significant expertise in the health, pharma, arms and defence sectors as well as in the IT area. The practice is headed by the highly rated Marc Gabriel, who represents contracting authorities and companies in award and review proceedings. Susanne Mertens is another central figure and advises public contracting authorities and bidders especially in the infrastructure and transport systems fields as well as on urban development projects. The main contact in Düsseldorf is counsel Katharina Weiner, who has been assisting German and foreign companies with German and European procurement law for the past eleven years.
- Advised and represented Hexal AG and 1 A Pharma GmbH on lawsuits of health insurance companies to assert contractual penalties and compensation claims due to supply disruptions during the provision of discount agreements before various social welfare courts, with amounts in the region of several million Euros.
- Supervision of the start-up Vivy GmbH (formerly UVita GmbH) with respect to procurement law on the award process for the call for tender of the “Elektronischen Gesundheitsplattform” (Electronic Health Platform) of the leading IT service provider in the field of employer-based health insurances, substitute health insurances and guild health insurances.
- Advised and represented a worldwide leading technology company and manufacturer of railway technologies on a post-procurement suit before the public procurement board of Berlin, as well as the Court of Appeal in Berlin, to prevent the direct awarding of a contract on the delivery of 80 underground railway carriages by the public transport company Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe to Stadler Pankow AG.
The broad procurement practice at Bird & Bird behind Düsseldorf-based practice head Jan Byok acts in numerous sectors, including IT, health, security and defence, infrastructure, energy and transport. The team is instructed by bidders as well as by contracting authorities seeking advice on contractual issues as well as on regulations, financings and dispute resolution. In addition, life sciences matters are increasingly handled with a cross-border, cross-practice approach across its offices, for instance when assisting international pharmaceutical companies with a European-wide market entry. In the LegalTech field, public contracting authorities have the possibility to administer their procurement documents legally secure as well as aim for an equal communication with all bidders via the firm's e-procurement platform Access. Alexander Csaki, who is based in Munich, is another key figure.
Other key lawyers:
René Voigtländer; Guido Bormann; Alexander Csaki; Hermann Rothfuchs
‘The procurement practice acts on a very high level, without losing sight of the client’s interests and requirements. The team at Bird & Bird particularly stands out for its high flexibility, reliability and competence.‘
‘Jan Byok and his team not only offer legally flawless advice, but also practical solutions. This requires a quick grasp and a good knowledge of the market and its players.‘
‘Martin Conrads and Alexander Csaki are an established team, that analyses even the most complex procurement matters quickly and reliably and always offers high-quality solutions.‘
Aphria Deutschland GmbH
Dachverband kommunaler IT-Dienstleister
- Comprehensive legal supervision of Aphria Deutschland GmbH on the successful participation in a procurement procedure for the cultivation, processing, storage, packaging and delivery of cannabis for medicinal purposes, as well as representation in a review proceeding concerning this matter.
- Advised and supervised a federal state in Germany on a negotiation procedure for the procurement of a police analysis software platform with respect to procurement, contract and IT laws.
- Advised a leading software manufacturer on numerous intricate IT procurement procedures with contract values of hundreds of millions of Euros, with respect to contract and procurement laws.
The 15-strong procurement practice at Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek is one of the top choices for procurement law and is led by the renowned Ute Jasper. The team is involved in numerous innovative major projects on federal, state and municipality level, for instance in areas such as electric mobility, building plot campaign and artificial intelligence. Although the team acts on both the contracting and bidding side, its focus is clearly on advising the public authorities. The cooperation with other practice areas such as tax, antitrust and corporate law is also an important part of the practice. Laurence Weston and Christopher Marx are also part of the core team.
‘It is important that different facets of a project are handled by a respective expert, but that the communication among them works excellently and that results are combined in a goal-oriented way. This is the case. And they react quickly. All of this happens transparently and seamlessly.‘
‘Pragmatism, composure, determination and a pragmatic approach.‘
‘The procurement practice at HKLW is technically excellent in the field of procurement. It stands out for its pragmatic, practical and creative solutions. HKLW has an answer for every ever so complicated question. Also in complicated situations, the firm finds strategically and legally sound solutions.‘
‘The team behind Ms Jasper is closely intertwined, always well informed among them, always deliver sound legal statements, that are practical and feasible, reliably on time. Even in crisis situations, an appropriately sized team is available and doesn’t shy away from difficult discussion with less procurement-savvy people. Even then, they succeed to convincingly demonstrate technical competence and pragmatism. It is tangible that the team enjoys working together.‘
‘Ms Jasper has an impressive expertise. She structure projects very well and conveys the feeling to clients that all will be well. She can also communicate in a way, that non-procurement lawyers understand her.‘
‘Laurence Weston – a very committed and reliable lawyer, who always keeps his nerves and who has a similarly pragmatic approach like Ms Jasper. He is excellently well versed in procurement matters and manages to get to the heart of a solution of even complex issues.‘
‘Christopher Marx – he is very pleasant and easy to deal with, has an excellent expertise, but isn’t arrogant one bit. He understands how not to overcomplicate already complicated issues, but to illustrate them in a more simple way. He doesn’t only think in legal terms, but also strategically, which is very important in procurement law.‘
Ministerium für Verkehr Baden-Württemberg
ESWE Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH
Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr AöR
BAW Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau
IPM Immobilien Projektmanagement Düsseldorf GmbH
- Supported the association Region Stuttgart on its negotiations with railway service company DB Regio, the amendment of the existing transport contract as well as with the permissibility of order amendments with respect to procurement concerning the automated travel of suburban trains.
- Comprehensively advised the transport company ESWE Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH on the construction of the city railway between Wiesbaden and Manz, in particular concerning questions around procurement, municipal, transport, tax and state aid laws. Prepared and supervised all procurement procedures.
- Advised the Federal Waterways Engineering and Research Institute on the preparation and execution of a procurement procedure for the procurement of the design planning, the construction and the operation-ready delivery of two multidisciplinary multi-purpose vessels.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's public procurement team under the leadership of practice head Olaf Otting structures award procedures for public contracting authorities, advises bidders on award procedures and assists clients with review proceedings, particularly in the areas of project development, urban development and real estate investments. The procurement expertise is also applied in transactions; a field that is also a significant part of the practice. In addition to the infrastructure and transport sectors, the health, energy and defence industries are further focuses. Counsel Udo Herbert Olgemöller is another key contact of the team.
Other key lawyers:
CMS' very large public procurement team, which includes seven partners and a presence in eight cities, covers numerous industries, including technology and IT, the pharmaceutical and health sectors (including e-health), defence and security as well as real estate, construction and infrastructure. Other practice areas also benefit from the team's procurement expertise, such as the contract, corporate, insolvency, tax and employment law groups. The practice is jointly headed by a quadriga comprised of Hermann Müller, Christian Scherer-Leydecker, Jakob Steiff and Volkmar Wagner.
Hermann Müller; Christian Scherer-Leydecker; Jakob Steiff; Volkmar Wagner
Other key lawyers:
Rajiv Chandna; Sven Brockhoff; Katja Küpper
‘The availability is exceptionally good, we immediately received extensive information/document drafts in the review proceeding.‘
‘Jakob Steiff: very skilled contact – we received many solution proposals to issues already during the preparation of a very complex procurement procedure.‘
Albert Ziegler GmbH
BRUKER AXS GmbH
Deutsche Lufthansa AG FRA CJ
GE Healthcare Buchler GmbH & Co. KG
hkk Krankenkasse Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts
Linde AG Lindes Gases Division
Stadt Frankfurt am Main
Thales Management & Services Deutschland GmbH
- Represented GE Healthcare Buchler GmbH & Co. KG with respect to procedures and procurement law for contrast mediums for several health insurances.
- Comprehensively advised the district committee of Hersfeld-Rotenburg as the contracting authority for the reconceptualisation of procurement documents for the EU-wide procurement of emergency rescue services in the district in a concession model.
- Advised Albert Ziebler GmbH, a leading manufacturer of fire engines, on the tender preparations within the framework of a high-volume procurement procedure for the procurement of several airfield fire-fighting vehicles for Munich airport.
Dentons was able to substantially strengthen its procurement practice by the arrival of Andreas Haak and his team of senior associates and associates from Taylor Wessing in February 2019. Haak is now managing partner in the new Düsseldorf office and jointly heads the public procurement team with Wolfram Krohn and Peter Braun. The group has significant expertise in the IT, health, defence and security sectors as well as in infrastructure projects. The advice spectrum ranges from conceptualisation and structuring to implementation of award procedures for federal and state authorities as well as municipalities and utility companies. Another core competence is the advice to bidding companies in national and international award procedures, but also the representation of public contracting authorities in infringement procedures before the European Commission.
Peter Braun; Andreas Haak; Wolfram Krohn
Other key lawyers:
Tobias Schneider; Christian Miercke
Bundesministerium der Verteidigung (BMVg) / Bundesamt für Ausrüstung, Informationstechnik und Nutzung der Bundeswehr
Bundesministerium des Innern, für Heimat und Bau
Deutsche Post AG und DP Inhouse Services GmbH
D.S.C. Dienstleistungs-Service Center GmbH
Duisburger Hafen AG (duisport)
Goethe + Schweitzer GmbH
IHK GFI – Gesellschaft für Informationsverarbeitung mbH
Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW)
Lausitzer und Mitteldeutsche Bergbau-Verwaltungs-GmbH (LMBV)
logport Ruhr GmbH
Private Universität Witten/Herdecke
Ricoh Deutschland GmbH
Stiftung Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister (Zentrale Stelle)
thyssenkrupp Industrial Solutions AG, thyssenkrupp Marine Systems GmbH
Xtreme Air GmbH
- Comprehensively advised the Federal Minstry of Defence (BMVg) / Federal Office for Information Management and Information Technology of the Federal Armed Forces on the preparation and execution of a procurement procedure for the procurement of heavy lift helicopters. Supervised and supported the then largest procurement project of the federal government.
- Represented D.S.C., a subsidiary of the Berlin Society of Pharmacists, in a complicated legal dispute between large pharmaceutical companies (GlaxoSmithKline und Sanofi-Aventis), the insurer AOK Nordost, the pharmacist associations of Berlin, Brandenburg and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, the D.S.C. as the service society of the pharmacies and a vaccine manufacturer (Mylan) with regard to contracts between AOK Nordost, as the representative of health insurers in the North East, the local pharmacist associations and their service society D.S.C. on the supply of flu vaccines by the health insurances as well as the acquisition of sich vaccines by the pharmacies from Mylan.
- Advised an international manufacturer of medical devices for self-cleaning after the issuance of an exclusion from bidding by the World Bank (debarment). Represented the company before the European Commission, the EBWE and the national authorities, in each case for the defence against a national exclusion from bidding.
The two-partner public procurement practice at Gleiss Lutz, which stands out for its exceptional strength in the health sector, particularly in advising statutory health insurances, is also increasingly active in the technology, IT, transport and infrastructure sectors as well as in the security and defence industries. The procurement practice's enhanced cooperation with other practice areas such as the antitrust and compliance teams is particularly tangible in procurement matters such as self-purification. The for both bidders and contractors acting team is led by Andreas Neun in Berlin. Counsel Christiane Freytag and Stuttgart-based Marco König are other key contacts.
Kapellmann und Partner
Kapellmann und Partner is well versed in advising public and private contractors in the construction, delivery and services industries, the health sector and on privatisations. Thereby the team focuses on award, review and preliminary proceedings before the award chamber, German courts and the ECJ. Duo Hendrik Röwekamp and Matthias Finke head the procurement practice, in which Alexander Fandrey also plays a key role. In addition, three lawyers made associated partner in January 2019.
Hendrik Röwekamp; Matthias Finke
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Kus; Marc Opitz; Alexander Fandrey; Hauke Schüler; Oskar Maria Geitel; Martin Jansen
‘Broad expertise, many areas of competence, approachable in an uncomplicated manner. When a key contact isn’t available, a proxy always is.‘
‘Dr. Wolters: broad expertise, which he applies in a practice and goal-oriented manner; uncomplicated and reliable interaction; comprehensible discourse with non-lawyers. Very accepted as an advisor by in-house personnel.‘
Leinemann & Partner
Under the leadership of senior partner Ralf Leinemann, Leinemann & Partner acts on contracting as well as on bidding side in award and review procedures and thereby focuses on the public transport, construction, health, IT and security sectors.
With Frank Obermann at the head of its Government & Public Sector practice group, BEITEN BURKHARDT exclusively focuses its procurement advice on the contracting side, thereby following an integrated, cross-office approach. The group advises on all procurement, public law as well as contractual and corporate aspects of projects of the public authorities. Industry focuses include the IT, infrastructure, health, energy and transport sectors and also increasingly the arms and defence industries, where the group assists public contracting authorities on federal and state level.
Other key lawyers:
Hans Georg Neumeier; Michael Brückner; Stephan Rechten; Sascha Opheys; Lars Hettich
‘The team is always attentive, one word is enough and the rough circumstances of an issue are even known by the receptionists, who can then easily provide information about the people or particular documents in the firm.‘
‘Good availability. Led in a structured manner. A competent contact is always available.‘
‘Lars Hettich – technically on very high level, looks ahead, strategically positioned. Topically always on track and argumentatively very convincing. Herr Opheys is technically also on a high level and strategically positioned. Topically always on track and argumentatively very convincing.‘
‘If someone had to invent procurement law all over again, I would suggest Lars Hettich. Working with him demonstrates that his knowledge of procurement jurisprudence, ranging from A like advertisement campaign and C like international currency to F like furniture factory and P like plant engineering, is up-to-date. The file management is meticulous and if worse comes to worse, one can rest assured that everything is verifiable.‘
Bundesanstalt für den Digitalfunk der Behörden und Organisationen mit Sicherheitsaufgaben (BDBOS)
Landesbetrieb IT des Landes NRW
TransnetBWGmbH / Ampiron GmbH
MWIDE Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Innovation und Digitalisierung des Landes NRW
Freistaat Sachsen, Staatsbetrieb Sächsische Informatik Dienste
Land Sachsen-Anhalt, Ministerium der Finanzen
Industrie- und Handelskammer für München und Oberbayern
Krankenhaus GmbH Landkreis Weilheim-Schongau
Stiftung Humboldt Forum im Berliner Schloss, vertreten durch das Bundesamt für Bauwesen und Raumordnung (BBR)
- Advised and supervised the Federal Agency for Digital Radio of Security Authorities and Organisations (BDBOS) on the preparation and execution of a procurement procedure for the modernisation of the digital radio BOS.
- Advised and supervised the Federal Foreign Office on the preparation and execution of several EU-wide procurement procedures.
- Advised and supervised the Ministry of Economy, Innovation, Digitisation and Energy of North Rhine-Westphalia on the extensive procurement of consultancy services for the project “Digitale Verwaltung NRW”.
BLOMSTEIN Rechtsanwälte's 'extremely powerful team' predominantly acts on the bidding side and advises national and international companies on award and review procedures. Thereby the team has considerable experience in a variety of sectors, including health, defence and security, services, infrastructure, energy as well as IT and technology. Pascal Friton and Roland Stein are the main contacts. Florian Wolf made senior associate in January 2019.
‘The firm has a young, very agile and experienced team in the procurement field. The collaboration is professional and on highest level. The firm also advises on international matters and is therefore also internationally perceived a reliable partner.‘
‘Deep specialisation in procurement law. Know the authorities’ practice of awarding offices very well.‘
‘Very professional, very quick and very approachable, highest quality, excellent advice. Personal initiative in just the right measure.‘
‘Good mix of longstanding experience. Quick and smart, due to the socialisation of a big firm better and more efficient than procurement boutiques. Our first choice for procurement law in complex projects.‘
‘Roland Stein is brilliant and clearly sees the commercial context.‘
‘Roland Stein, excellent advice, legal bite, very eager to have a good and open relationship with his clients.’
‘Roland Stein – precise in advising on matters with a high degree of competence and experience in procurement law. Pascal Friton – complements the advice on international matters particularly with his expertise in foreign trade law.‘
‘Pascal Friton and Roland Stein – both reliable, smart and goal-oriented.’
B. Stumpp & S. Baier
DiaMed Diagnostika Deutschland
German Naval Yards
Hellmann Worldwide Logistics Road & Rail / Lion Inc.
Kapsch Traffic / CTS Eventim
- Advised and represented DiaMed Diagnostika Deutschland with respect to a call for tender of the University of Aachen as well as with respect to a call for tender of the university clinic of Regensburg.
- Advised and represented B. Stumpp & S. Baier with respect to the call for tender of the Federal Armed Services for new combat boots, including the representation in two different review proceedings before the Federal Public Procurement Chamber.
- Advised German Naval Yards within the framework of the procurement procedure MKS 180 (frigate).
The Cologne-based procurement practice at CBH Rechtsanwälte Cornelius, Bartenbach, Haesemann & Partner advises the public authorities on national and European tendering procedures, assists bidders with strategic tender preparation and represents public contracting authorities as well as bidders in review procedures. Main industry focuses include private construction, services, health and armaments. Stefan Hertwig and Andreas Haupt are the key contacts.
Stefan Hertwig; Andreas Haupt
‘We would like to highlight particularly the valuable combination of public procurement law, subsidy and state aid law. This coverage is a great advantage for the implementation of publicly funded projects.’
‘Stefan Hertwig is an expert in subsidy and state aid law with excellent specialist knowledge. He is assertive and goal-oriented.’
‘Andreas Haupt is an outstanding specialist in public procurement law, quick, pragmatic, creative and solution-oriented.’
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB
The broad procurement law team at GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB, which is renowned for its 'excellent industry knowledge', predominantly acts on contracting side, but also occasionally advises bidders in review procedures. In Frankfurt, the group assists with services and construction award procedures, while the Berlin office focuses on the energy sector and the Hamburg team on IT award procedures. Frankfurt-based practice head Lutz Horn is supported by Heiko Hofmann and Kai-Uwe Schneevogl (also Frankfurt-based) as well as Jan Peter-Scharf, Oliver Jauch and Kersten Wagner-Cardenal (all in Hamburg). Christoph Riese is based in Berlin.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very service-oriented with fast responsiveness.’
‘Very good client-orientation, very good value-for-money and always solution-oriented.‘
‘Kai-Uwe Schneevogl was very friendly and technically competent and demonstrates fast responsiveness, when issues rise. The same applies to Ms Schneider, who was also part of the team. I felt very well advised and assisted.‘
Graf von Westphalen
In addition to its advice to the infrastructure sector, the three-partner procurement practice at Graf von Westphalen demonstrates particular strength in the health and IT industries. The team is predominantly instructed by the public authorities for award as well as review procedures. Düsseldorf-based practice head Bettina Meyer-Hofmann particularly advises university clinics in the health sector, while Ingrid Reichling in Munich has significant expertise in the security and IT areas, and Hamburg-based Dietrich Drömann assists with matters in the infrastructure sector. The team was additionally strengthened by the arrival of three associates.
Other key lawyers:
Ingrid Reichling; Dietrich Drömann
‘Excellent for IT award procedures.‘
‘Flexibility and promptness while advising on inquiries; award procedures are concluded rapidly and without review procedures; good ideas and suggestions; explain well to all participants.‘
‘Bettina Meyer-Hofmann – strong in procurement law. She understands how to reconcile different interests – also on contracting side; very pleasant to deal with; good availability and approachable.‘
‘Ingrid Reichling – thorough and pragmatic with very good innovative award strategy ideas, puts ideas into action.‘
‘Nina Scheumann – quick, also captures the essence of difficult IT matters quickly.‘
Digital Healthcare NRW e. V.
DRK-Rettungs- und Transportdienste Hildesheim/Hannover gGmbH
Institut für Qualität und Wirtschaftlichkeit im Gesundheitswesen (IQWiG)
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V.
Universitätsklinikum Regensburg (UKR)
- Advised emergency rescue and transport services provider DRK-Rettungs- und Transportdienste Hildesheim/Hannover gGmbH with respect to procurement and contractual laws concerning rescue services.
- Advised Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V. on all procurement projects in the area of deliveries and services, particularly IT acquisitions, with respect to procurement law.
- General procurement law advice and support of the university clinic of Regensburg in several procurement procedures for the acquisition of medical devices and for renovation works, in particular advice and representation on the handling of reprimands and in review proceedings.
The eight-strong procurement law team at Heussen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH is instructed by bidders and public contracting authorities to advise on tender and review procedures, but also on other procurement issues such as pricing law. Central pillars of the practice are construction and IT-related tender procedures, where the group is capable to advise at the interface to antitrust and energy law. In addition, the assistance of clients from the defence sector is of increasing importance to the firm. Uwe-Carsten Völlink in Munich heads the practice and is supported by Norbert Huber as well as Stuttgart-based Mark Münch. Iris Meeßen made associated partner in July 2018. Furthermore, the team has grown by three new associates.
‘In our opinion, the networking within the firm works very well, i.e. when a particular matter raises specific issues in another practice area, respective experts are consulted and issues are resolved.‘
‘Uwe-Carsten Völlink as well as Norbert Huber stand out for their excellent procurement law expertise. The knowledge of specific procurement realities in the Southern Bavarian region were of unmeasurable value for the tender procedures implemented by our project management company.‘
‘Uwe-Carsten Völlink offers highly qualified, pragmatic advice.’
‘Uwe-Carsten Völlink absolutely knows his way around the field, while also – unlike most other lawyers – having the ability to explain matters and their options in a comprehensible and transparent way. In addition, his standard response isn’t ‘it depends on’, but he develops specific action proposals including their risk assessments, so actions can be implemented and the client isn’t left on his own.‘
‘So far, we were assisted by Uwe-Carsten Völlink, Iris Meeßen, Mark Münch and Markus Neumaier. On my behalf, I can state that all lawyers, which advised us, are extremely competent and solution-oriented, always take the necessary time to answer all questions and thereby also understand how to tune into the different legal know-hows of all participants.‘
ESG Elektroniksystem- und Logistik-GmbH
Free State of Bavaria – Wirtschaftsministerium
FMS Wertmanagement AöR
Rohde & Schwarz GmbH & Co. KG
MBDA Deutschland GmbH
Helmholtz Zentrum München
Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften München
Airbus DS GmbH
- Represented Airbus Defence and Space GmbH in a pricing review case.
- Advised the Free State of Bavaria on sample tender documents.
- Advised and represented Gasteig München GmbH on the overall project for the general renovation of the cultural centre Münchner Gasteig.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's procurement law team applies a cross-office and cross-practice approach to its advice to public contracting authorities, beneficiaries and bidders. The supply of railway vehicles and complex construction projects in the health sector are substantial pillars of the procurement law practice. IT award procedures, the award of services contracts and broad band supply are other core competencies. The practice is headed by Hanover-based Ulf-Dieter Pape.
Other key lawyers:
Henner-Matthias Puppel; Karsten Köhler; Rut Herten-Koch; Stephan Finck; Henning Holz; Martin Steuber
BVG Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe AöR
- Comprehensively advised the The Federal Agency for Public Property / Federal Office of Information Technology Security (BSI) on the construction of a new building for the BSI in Bonn. Prepared and executed a public-private-partnership call for tender, created the tender documents and led the legal negotiations.
- Advised the local transport company Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe on questions with respect to procurement law concerning the acquisition of vehicles. The transport company intends to acquire underground trains, trams as well as replacement parts for these.
- Comprehensively advised the clinic operating company Kliniken des Landkreises Lörrach GmbH on the planned construction of a new building for the Zentralklinikum Lörrach (central clinic of Lörrach).
Lutz Abel Rechtsanwalts PartG mbB
Mathias Mantler heads LUTZ | ABEL RECHTSANWALTS PARTG MBB's 'powerful unit', which has a 'strong presence in the Southern German region' and is considered 'one of the best and largest teams in Munich', not least due to its assistance with large infrastructure projects as well as its advice to universities, research facilities and university-related facilities. The practice is increasingly sought after for assistance with supply and services procurement in relation to IT solutions. The group is also instructed by ministries in relation to political procurement issues. Members of the core team Christian Kokew and Hendrik Stamm are considered 'excellent procurement lawyers'. Tobias Osseforth is another core member and advises extensively on the implementation of European and national award procedures, including e-award systems.
‘A powerful unit with many heads.‘
‘Quick, solution-oriented approach to matters including appropriately quick legwork – excellent availability.‘
‘Lutz Abel has a very competent, very client-oriented team and sound knowledge in all relevant procurement matters. The advice is given in a very clear and comprehensible manner. The lawyers are very professional and there’s always a friendly atmosphere.‘
‘Our key contacts at Lutz Abel do an excellent job in our field, have a professional manner, paired with a breeze of humour without misjudging the gravity of a situation. One feels very well looked after and excellently advised.‘
‘Mathias Mantler advises us on legally excellent level, personally committed and always strives to reach our goals in the best possible way. He is strong in negotiations. The cooperation is very trustworthy.‘
‘Christian Kokew has been continuously advising us on procurement law. If required, flexibility and short-term availability is guaranteed. Excellent service combined with a perfect understanding of commercial and technical requirements in our sector. Very talented and creative in looking for the right solutions which are adapted to our needs. Always finds pragmatic solutions.‘
‘I have got to know Tobias Osseforth as a walking encyclopaedia of procurement law. There is not a single area of procurement law that he doesn’t know brilliantly.‘
‘Anne-Christine Wieler assisted and supported me technically very well in a tender procedure. She was able to explain new-to-me, complex legal matters pertaining to the European tender in a way that I could understand them well. I rate her expertise as very well, as she always had an answer to all my questions. In addition, I value her commitment and reliability, as well as her sense of humour, which, applied at the right time, dispelled any scare while dealing with a very dry subject. I would recommend Anne-Christine Wieler at any given time.‘
“Die Brücke” gGmbH
AICHER GROUP GmbH & Co. KG
Allentown Deutschland GmbH
Altenhilfe der Stadt Augsburg
Arbeitsgemeinschaft 2. S-Bahn Stammstrecke Tunnel Hauptbahnhof (Wayss & Freytag, Max Bögl, Ed. Züblin, Bauer Spezialtiefbau)
Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr
Bundesgartenschau Heilbronn 2019 GmbH
Bundesgartenschau Mannheim 2023 gGmbH
Erzdiözese München und Freising
Landeshauptstadt München – Baureferat
Landkreis Mühldorf a. Inn
Landratsamt Ebersberg – Sachgebiet Bildung und IT
Medgas Technik GmbH
Studierendenwerk Tübingen-Hohenheim A.d.ö.R
Technische Universität München
Theaterakademie August Everding (Prinzregententheater)
- Represented AICHER GROUP GmbH & Co. KG in a review proceeding concerning the ambulance service at Oktoberfest (2018-2021).
- Successfully represented Allentown Deutschland GmbH in a new review proceeding against Tecniplast Deutschland GmbH.
- Advice during procurement and construction of ARGE i.R.d. concerning the Trunk Line 2 of the Munich S-Bahn.
Müller-Wrede & Partner Rechtsanwälte
Procurement law is one of the traditional mainstays of Müller-Wrede & Partner Rechtsanwälte's legal practice. The Berlin-based team under the leadership of Malte Müller-Wrede advises public contracting authorities, for instance on the legally compliant design of award procedures, as well as bidders, and demonstrates wide-ranging and interdisciplinary expertise in the public and rail transport, infrastructure, IT, construction services as well as the health sectors. The representation in review proceedings is another core competence.
Other key lawyers:
Verena Poschmann; Carsten Bluhm; Gunnar Conrad
With 'high technical competence', Markus Figgen, Klaus Greb and Rebecca Schäffer jointly head the six-strong group at avocado rechtsanwälte, which specialises in assisting with IT award procedures, tenders for waste water and waste disposal services as well as related construction, service and supply services. Additional fields of activity include the planning, project management, postal and transport sectors.
Markus Figgen; Klaus Greb; Rebecca Schaffer
‘High technical competence, very short response times, very pleasant, personal contact on equal footing.‘
‘The cooperation with Dr Greb is always uncomplicated, fast and characterised by pragmatic solutions. The results are of high quality. Even in case of short-term changes, he reacts in a relaxed and flexible way.‘
‘Dr Klaus Greb – a well-versed procurement lawyer, who delivers perfect legal documents in no time.‘
‘Dr Rebecca Schaffer: clever and conscientous, very good adaption of practical approaches while leading an argument.‘
The Bonn-based procurement practice Boesen Rechtsanwälte advises clients on contracting as well as bidding side on the applicability of public procurement law and the design of award proceedings and tender documents. Led by Arnold Boesen, the team focuses on the IT, construction and services sectors. Another mainstay is the representation of contracting authorities and bidders in review proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Martin Upleger; Christian Goeres; Alexander Eising; Björn Quast
Advice in the health and infrastructure sectors is one of the outstanding strengths of Clifford Chance's procurement law practice, which is led by counsel Steffen Amelung. The team assists clients with the implementation of pan-European award procedures and represents bidders in review proceedings. The cooperation with the project finance team in infrastructure matters (PPP) is also notable.
Other key lawyers:
Timo Robert Heppner
Astellas Pharma GmbH
Technische Universität München
GlaxoSmithKline GmbH & Co. KG
Bayer Vital GmbH
Stadt RodgauBieterkonsortiumVINCI / STRABAG
- Represented Astellas as summoned party and appellant in the contentious administrative proceeding of the pharmacy Leinweber Apotheke against the health insurance BKK Diakonie before the adminstrative court Minden, and the Higher Administrative Court of North Rhine-Westphalia, on the disclosure of abatement contract conditions according to the Freedom of Information Act, as well as in the appeal proceedings before the Federal Administrative Court.
- Advised the Technical University of Munich on the realisation of 20 new professorships of economics with complete provisions and infrastructure.
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline GmbH & Co. KG before the Federal Public Procurement Chamber and the Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf in the review proceedings against the health insurance AOK Nordost and the service provider D.S.C. Dienstleistungs-Service-Center GmbH, Berlin on the conclusion of contracts for the discount of tetravalent flu vaccines.
Dolde Mayen & Partner
At Dolde Mayen & Partner, the advice to public contracting authorities on waste and disposal services award procedures takes center stage. Additional key competencies include the assistance with urban development projects and major construction projects as well as with services award procedures, such as in the architect and engineering services and public transport areas. In the IT sector, the group acts on the bidding side. Tina Bergmann, who predominantly advises awarding offices on construction services and recently increased her activity in award procedures related to day nursery supply, jointly heads the practice with Andrea Vetter.
Andrea Vetter; Tina Bergmann
- Advised a waste disposal company on the EU-wide call for tender for the biowaste utilisation for three years, questions on waste codes and the proximity principle in accordance with the EU Waste Framework Directive.
- Represented an energy supply company in a review proceeding on a procurement procedure for the allocation of wireless services.
- Supervision of several municipalities in Baden-Wuerttemberg on the EU-wide procurement procedure for the allocation of nursery and school meals catering.
Annette Rosenkötter leads the procurement law team at FPS and is supported by Aline Fritz. The practice's main focus is on IT contract law, accompanied by additional key competencies in the construction and services sectors, where the group acts in award and review procedures on both contracting and bidding side. Jutta Möller joined in January 2019 from Kleiner Rechtsanwälte as equity partner. The team was also strengthened on associate level.
Other key lawyers:
Aline Fritz; Ahdia Waezi; Tim Kuhn
The central pillars of GSK Stockmann's procurement law practice continue to be advice related to the real estate and health sector. In addition, the team focuses on the increasingly significant topic Smart City, where the group has already gained experience in relation to newly developed procedure types of the innovation partnership and competition dialogue. Practice head Jenny Mehlitz made partner in January 2019. Arne Gniechwitz is another key contact and focuses on the infrastructure sector, where he mainly advises port authorities and airport operators and has expertise in waterway and shipping administration.
Other key lawyers:
Wolfgang Würfel; Arne Gniechwitz
Land Berlin, HOWOGE Unternehmensgruppe, HOWOGE Wohnungsbaugesellschaft, mit beschränkter Haftung
STADT UND LAND Wohnbauten-Gesellschaft mbH
Land Berlin, BIM Berliner Immobilienmanagement GmbH
Hamburg Port Authority wg. Neuer Köhlbrandquerung
Land Sachsen-Anhalt, Landesbetrieb Bau- und Liegenschaftsmanagement, Sachsen-Anhalt (-BLSA-), Direktion
Accor Unternehmensgruppe, AccorHotels Deutschland GmbH
Land Berlin, HOWOGE Unternehmensgruppe, HOWOGE Wohnungsbaugesellschaft, mit beschränkter Haftung
Busch GmbH & Co. KG
Pro Potsdam GmbH, Niederlassung Potsdam
Private Internatsschule Neubeuern
Hanse- und Universitätsstadt Rostock vertreten durch das Hafen- und Seemannsamtes
Zweckverband Wassergemeinschaft des Kreis Stormarn
- Supervision of the housing association HOWOGE on the project development of a high-rise building.
- Advised the subsidiary company of the state of Berlin on the procurement of new construction, financing and operation of a laboratory building.
- Legal advice to Hamburg Port Authority with respect to the project organisation for the construction of the bridge project New Köhlbrand Crossing.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's procurement law practice benefits from a cross-practice approach, which is based on the close-knit cooperation with other teams, such as antitrust, corporate and IP. The group is particularly active in the life sciences and arms industries. Thereby the team focuses on comprehensive assistance with complex award procedures that are strategically important for the client, for instance in relation to market entries. Thomas Dünchheim is head of the German practice group Government Regulatory, which also includes Marc Schweda and Falk Schöning.
‘The team displays enormous legal expertise.’
‘Marc Schweda is very knowledgeable in public procurement law, both in substantive and procedural law.’
Autobahn Tank & Rast GmbH
AVG Abfallentsor-gungs- und Ver-wertungsgesell-schaft Köln mbH
Baxter Deutschland GmbH
Bracco Imaging Deutschland GmbH
Bundesverband der Deutschen Sicherheits- und Verteidigungsin-dustrie e.V.
Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
- Advised the waste disposal company Abfallentsorgungs- und Verwertungsgesellschaft Köln mbH on the establishment of a joint venture which will construct and operate a sewage-sludge-incineration plant.
- Advised the insurance company AXA AG concerning procurement law, amongst others on the participation in a EU-wide procurement procedure for insurance services.
- Advised Bracco Imaging Deutschland GmbH with respect to procurement law on various procurement projects of social health insurances for X-ray contrast agents, amongst others for the demand during consultation hours.
K&L Gates LLP
The four-strong procurement law practice at K&L Gates LLP behind Annette Mutschler-Siebert acts on bidding as well as on contracting side. Thereby, the team has significant expertise in advising on rail and public transport as well as infrastructure projects, including PPP projects. The procurement law team often acts as a door opener for instructions for bigger complex procedures, subsequently involving other practice groups such as the financing team. Counsel Marion Baumann is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice demonstrates strength in the procurement and antitrust law areas. The close connection between both practice areas offers significant advantages and is increasingly gaining importance in the future, for instance due to the new competition index of the Federal Cartel Office.
‘The team is always finely tuned and knows the current state of the matter. There is always someone available and response times are very good.‘
‘Annette Mutschler-Siebert has high expertise in all areas of procurement law, but also in antitrust law.‘
Telio Communications GmbH
ALIUD PHARMA GmbH
Électricité de France SA
Ströer SE & Co KGaA
- Advised Telio Communications GmbH on the awarding of concessions and services and represented the company in review proceedings.
- Advised ALIUD PHARMA GmbH with respect to procurement law on calls for tender of discount agreements for pharmaceuticals.
- Comprehensive tender advice for the advertising company Ströer SE & Co. KGaA with respect to procurement law on a procurement procedure by the transport company BVG in Berlin with respect to outdoor advertising at waiting lounges, including the assessment of the procurement documents and the posing of tender queries as well as the drafting of a reprimand.
The as 'highly competent' regarded procurement law team at KPMG Law Germany under the leadership of Moritz Püstow predominantly advises public contracting authorities on construction award procedures, particularly in the infrastructure and health sectors. Thereby the team can demonstrate its strength in advising on strategy and design. Expertise also exists in the IT area. Henrik-Christian Baumann made equity partner in October 2018 while Armin Huhn made non-equity partner. At the same time, Simon Wollenberg left the firm to work for a French company.
Other key lawyers:
Henrik-Christian Baumann; Ulrich Thölke
‘To us, Henrik Baumann is very competent, reliable, directive, loyal and very precise contact. Ms Sabine Essmann and her colleague are also very competent, very diligent, precise and very reliable.‘
- Advised the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure on the execution of a necessary procurement procedure for the implementation of the Directive on Road Infrastructure Charging for the usage of federal highways (private vehicle toll).
- Advised pension insurance company Deutsche Rentenversicherung Baden-Wuerttemberg on questions concerning procurement law, including on legal matters at the intersection between procurement law and data protection law.
- Advised Charité Universitätsmedizin on the construction project ATIZ (project volume of ca. €70m) with respect to construction procurement and construction contract law.
Based on a traditionally strong standing in the health sector, Oppenländer Rechtsanwälte's team acts for original as well as generic drug manufacturers as well as for operators of cytostacics pharmacies in relation to drug discount agreements among other matters. Award procedures in the rail and public transport sectors are another mainstay of the practice. Noteworthy is also practice head Matthias Ulshöfer's procurement law advice at the interface to antitrust law.
Other key lawyers:
Christofer Lenz; Corina Jürschik
‘The team stands out for its good cooperation and public image. The partners follow current developments and publicise on current topics. The explanation to non-jurists happens in a very comprehensible manner, including a gratifyingly striking comparison of pros and cons. Furthermore, the firm points out clear solutions to issues.‘
‘Christofer Lenz and Corina Jürschik not only present legal requirements and obstacles in a comprehensible manner, but also offer sustainable, viable and economically well-working solutions. Their knowledge of public transport services and administrative law as well as procurement law is objectively, as well as from an expert colleague’s point of view, impressive.
‘Christofer Lenz is not only professionally, but also personally highly regarded by our decision makers, also because he is able to absolutely get to the heart of highly complex matters of enormous financial scope. Christofer Lenz emits an effortlessly professional authority, which imparts additional pivotal significance on his profound and very helpful elaborations in decision-making-relevant meetings.‘
‘Corina Jürschik is faithful to deadlines, highly efficient and absolutely reliable as well as always quickly available, all in equal measures. Corina Jürschik and Christofer Lenz work very effectively also under time constraints and most difficult circumstances. For impulse presentations, for example in TV or before supra-regional associations, Christofer Lenz is an absolutely convincing and phenomenal figure of light.‘
Accord Healthcare Ltd. (UK)
Dexcel Ltd. (Israel); Dexcel Pharma GmbH
Bremer Straßenbahn AG
GDS Global Solutions Display S.A. (Italien)
Dürener Kreisbahn GmbH
Optica Abrechnungszentrum Dr. Güldener GmbH
Mast Diagnostika GmbH
Ministerium für Verkehr BW
Th. Geyer GmbH & Co. KG
VAG Verkehrs-Aktiengesellschaft Nürnberg
Verkehrsbetriebe Karlsruhe/Albtal Verkehrsgesellschaft
WDF Wohnungs- und Dientsleistungsgesellschaft Fellbach mbH
Konzept- e für Bildung und Soziales GmbH
Biotec Ölspurnassreinigungs GmbH
Bietergemeinschaft von Gemmingen
- Advised the transport company Bremer Straßenbahn AG on direct awards and on tariff compliance law.
- Advised Dexcel Ltd. on several calls for tender of large social health insurances (AOK, TK, DAK etc.).
- Advised the bidding consortium of Lemmingen on the call for tender for the production of cannabis for medicinal purposes by the new Federal Cannabis Agency.
Under the leadership of Bettina Tugendreich, Raue is active on contracting as well as on bidding side. The advice spectrum ranges from advice on award procedures, pan-European tender proceedings for concessions and planning services and awarding of services to review procedures. The team is also active in the infrastructure sector, particularly in the transport, energy and health industries.
Other key lawyers:
Hans Heller; Christian Von Hammerstein; Wolfram Hertel
‘Excellent manners and communication skills as well as expertise, also across borders (regionally and globally).‘
‘Bettina Tugendreich has very good industry and product knowledge; technical expertise; and an international team of contacts.‘
Redeker Sellner Dahs
The Bonn-based procurement law practice at Redeker Sellner Dahs focuses on advising public contracting authorities on award and review procedures in various sectors such as IT and health. The team is jointly led by Heike Glahs and Matthias Ganske and supported by Olaf Reidt and Thomas Stickler from the Berlin office.
Heike Glahs; Matthias Ganske
Bundesinstitut für Arzneimittel und Medizinprodukte (BfArM)
Wasser- und Schifffahrtsamt Freiburg
VEBOWAG (Vereinigte Bonner Wohnungsbaugenossenschaft)
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
SBB Stiftung Begabtenförderung berufliche Bildung Gemeinnützige Gesellschaft mbH
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e. V. (DLR)
Fachkundige Stelle im Sinne von § 176 f. SGB III (Zertifizierer) in Form einer GmbH mit Sitz in Hessen
Private Bildungsträger-GmbH aus Niedersachsen
ELW Entsorgungsbetriebs der Landeshauptstadt Wiesbaden
Josef Schwaiger Omnibusunternehmen
Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung und Wohnen
TriWiCon Eigenbetrieb der Landeshauptstadt Wiesbaden
Warnow-Wasser- und Abwasserverband
Zweckverband Thüringer Wintersport
- Comprehensively advised and supervised the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices concerning the procurement procedure for the cultivation and delivery of medicinal cannabis launched in the summer of 2018.
- Comprehensively advised and supervised the trust Stiftung Begabtenförderung berufliche Bildung Gemeinnützige Gesellschaft mbH with respect to procurement law and data prtection law on the call for tender for the IT solution of the applicant and awardee administration.
- Represented the city of Solingen before the European Court of Justice concerning the sector exemption in emergency services.
BBG und Partner
For BBG und Partner, advice to public contracting authorities in award and review procedures is at the forefront of its practice. Besides its specialisation in major projects in the rail transport sector, the firm increasingly focuses on the energy, IT and health sectors, explosive ordnance clearance as well as on procurement of supply and construction services. The practice is jointly headed by the 'very precise' Niels Griem, who has 'strong negotiation skills', and Malte Linnemeyer.
Niels Griem; Malte Linnemeyer
Other key lawyers:
Gerrit Landsberg; Johannes Mosters; Jan Boris Ingerowski
‘Sehr engagiert; auch kurzfristige und dringliche Anfragen werden zeitnah und kompetent beantwortet; große Fachkompetenz in Spezialgebieten (PBefG), aber auch in allgemeinen Themengebieten (VwGO, BGB); kreative Lösungsansätze und Ideen.‘
‘The team has the excellent ability to think themselves into respective situations. Thus responses to issues are immediately feasible without any significant queries.‘
‘A very specialised firm with exceedingly committed lawyers under very fair conditions.‘
‘Excellent expertise combined with business acumen. Very good expression skills, verbally and in writing. High flexibility, also in case of short-term queries. Take in-house specifics perfectly into account and use these for the legal procedure.‘
- Represented the distribution network operator EWE Netz GmbH in obtaining a provisional interjunction in the legal proceedings for the allocation of gas and electricity concessions of the city of Aurich as well as successfully defending the interjunction in the appeals procedure.
- Advised the state of Berlin on the allocation of the entire suburban railway service in Berlin as well as on the acquisition of new vehicles.
- Advised PaderSprinter GmbH on the acquisition of NOx reduction systems with respect to procurement law.
The procurement law practice at DLA Piper has significant experience in the IT, health and infrastructure areas and thereby maintains close cooperation with other practice areas such as antitrust and corporate law. In the health sector, practice head Ludger Giesberts' team saw an increase in instructions related to tenders for technology partnerships, while the infrastructure sector still generates the highest volume of instructions. Here, the group advises on port projects among other matters. Frank Roth, who assists clients with review proceedings, and counsel Regina Fock are also part of the core team.
- Advised the airport Köln/Bonn on the implementation of a competitive procedure to find an investor for the construction and operation of an airport hotel.
- Advised an international consortium on its participation in the then largest public-private-partnership motorway project in Germany (A3).
- Represented a leading healthcare technology company in the review proceeding concerning a negotiation procedure of a technology partnership.
Gaßner, Groth, Siederer & Coll.
The procurement law team at Gaßner, Groth, Siederer & Coll. specialises in advising public contracting authorities on award procedures, particularly on services and comprehensive plant tenders, as well as on construction, procurement and participation projects. Thereby the group assists clients with concept design, awarding documentation, contracts as well as with offer reviews. The representation of contracting authorities and bidders in review procedures is another key competence.
The procurement practice at Haver & Mailänder Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB under the leadership of Alexander Hübner acts in numerous industries such as the health (particularly pharmaceuticals), public and rail transport sectors, but also in the arms industry, where its activity is of forensic nature. Particularly noteworthy is the advice to contracting authorities and bidders on innovation-driven infrastructure projects as well as the assistance with major federal art and cultural projects, for instance pertaining to the procurement of global art transports to blockbuster exhibitions.
‘The firm maintains a close interdisciplinary exchange with its colleagues and is very effectively organised. Despite a high work load, response times are always very short.‘
‘On one hand, I think that Haver & Mailänder’s achieved outcomes are very practical. On the other hand, I got the impression that the group works driven by a very high quality standard and dedication to meet deadlines.‘
‘Alexander Hübner, procurement lawyer, demonstrates exceeding competence for the requirements of the pharmaceutical industry. This depends on integrated knowledge between procurement law, the Social Code V and particularities of VAT special treatment.‘
‘Alexander Hübner simply has good knowledge of various sectors. One doesn’t have to explain matters for long. This often shows when after a particular instruction, for example in case of new jurisprudence, advice is given that is easily feasible for us. We are simply very satisfied with him.‘
- Toll Collect procurement procedure for the HGV-toll of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure.
Berlin-based Jan Bonhage heads Hengeler Mueller's procurement law practice whose client base includes national and international companies. Thereby, the group advises on award and review procedures before national and European courts with relevant expertise in the health, transport, infrastructure, energy and defence sectors. The group also acts at the interface to public funding and state aid and in matters related to self-purification measures.
Deutsche Telekom AG
National Express Rail GmbH
Nord Stream 2 AG
Ørsted A/S (ehemals DONG Energy)
- Representation on the procurement procedure of the procurement authority of the Federal Armed Forces, BAAINBw (Defence and Security).
- Advised Deutsche Telekom AG as shareholder of Toll Collect GmbH on the retrofitting of the HGV-toll system for the toll collection on all Federal Highways.
- Advised Nord Stream 2AG with respect to procurement law on planning and construction projects at the ferry port of Sassnitz.
Procurement law is one of the central pillars at Lexton Rechtsanwälte, whose team has 'extensive expertise' in this area. Founding partner and practice head Peter Michael Probst, who is considered an 'outstanding specialist in procurement law', focuses on the health and clinic as well as the transport sectors. In the health sector the group predominantly acts for prestigious clinics. Thereby the group advises clients comprehensively, ranging from preparation and implementation of award procedures, review and valuation of offers to representation of bidders in review procedures.
Peter Michael Probst
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Lexton is unbeatably fast and reliable in responding to complex procurement issues. The team doesn’t indulge in endless question orgies, but responds in a goal-oriented manner, which then, combined with the respective sound assessment, enables various possibilities to take action.‘
‘Very good technical advice with simultaneous spontaneity as well as a pragmatic approach.‘
‘Very professional, strong team. Technically very competent, fast processing and binding. Complex matters are examined from all angles and the best result is always achieved. Unreservedly recommendable.‘
‘Exceedingly high technical know-how; collegial cooperation, solution-orientation and communication on equal footing.‘
‘In Peter Michael Probst we have a partner for procurement issues, who offers neutral advice with goal-oriented, individual guidance in an, in my opinion, outstandingly short amount of time. Mr Fabian Winters is in no way inferior to him and confirms the outstanding standard of advice.’
‘Peter Michael Probst doesn’t only evaluate a matter comprehensively on legal level, but also delivers outstanding and practical guidance on implementation.‘
‘Peter Michael Probst – outstanding expert in procurement law, very congenial and committed.‘
‘Peter Michael Probst and Fabian Winters stand out for their quick grasp, structured work manner and brilliant knowledge particularly in procurement law. Both are binding, deadline-oriented, stay on top of things and have a very pleasant way to communicate.‘
The eleven-strong team at Menold Bezler, which is particularly active in the Southern German region, acts exclusively for public contracting authorities and assists these with design and implementation of national and pan-European award procedures, investor competitions and review proceedings. Advice is provided to numerous sectors, such as construction, IT and digitalisation, public transport and transport as well as health, and often at the interface to construction, IT, antitrust and state aid law. Beatrice Fabry and Frank Meininger jointly head the practice.
Beatrice Fabry; Frank Meininger
Other key lawyers:
Martin Ott; Karsten Kayser
‘Durch das sehr umfangreiche Team aus nahezu allen Rechtsgebieten am Standort Stuttgart wird die Mandatierung und Betreuung durch die Kanzlei Menold Bezler einzigartig. Die Beratung und Prozessführung ist sicherlich auf hohem Niveau anzusiedeln. Die Kanzlei ist eine der ganz Großen in der Region Stuttgart.’
‘The lawyers of the different disciplines (procurement and IT law) are always approachable. Responses often happen within hours.‘
‘Reliability, high excellence of advice, friendliness and always very good availability, inter alia due to the high number of colleagues across several practice areas (for example procurement law). We had particular excellent experiences with Beatrice Fabry, Stefan Meßmer and Julia Schneider.‘
‘Martin Ott – clear, comprehensible and recipient-suitable legal documentation as well as quickly delivered but simultaneously exceedingly thorough reports.‘
- Advised the administration union Breitband Landkreis Waldshut with respect to procurement, state aid and contractual law on a procedure for awarding concessions for the operation of high-speed broadband networks to a private network operator.
- Procurement procedure for the re-construction of the stadium Wildparkstadion in Karlsruhe with an EU-wide competitive bidding procedure for the combined awarding of planning and construction services.
- Advised the city of Kehl with respect to procurement and construction contract laws on an EU-wide negotiation procedure with preceding competitive bidding for the second construction stage of the cross-boarder large-scale project for the tram line Straßburg-Kehl. The contract value of the second construction stage was about €21m.
The procurement law practice at Noerr, who continues to focus on assisting bidders, is increasingly active on contracting side, particularly for federal and state ministries. Competencies exist in advice on urban developments as well as in the areas public sector compliance and new mobility. The representation in review proceedings is also part of the advice spectrum. Olav Wagner heads the team, which also includes associated partner Julian von Lucius and Holger Schmitz.
The procurement law practice at Oppenhoff & Partner predominantly acts on bidding side and has significant expertise in privatisations as well as in the defence technology, energy and health sectors. The activity spectrum ranges from comprehensive advice on preparation of offers in national and European award procedures to the representation before courts and in review proceedings. The three-partner team, which also includes the renowned Heiko Höfler, is headed by Stephan Müller.
Other key lawyers:
Heiko Höfler; Holger Hofmann; Robert Glawe; Michael Abels
The health and IT sectors take centre stage in SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte's procurement law practice. Practice head René Kieselmann successfully represented the German Red Cross Solingen concerning the direct award of the contract for emergency services in Solingen before the ECJ and is now expecting higher advice demand in this segment. The advice at the interface to other practice areas, for instance state aid law, is another key component.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team works hand in hand and is always available via phone or email. For the clarification of also spontaneously raised matters of day-to-day work, immediate availability is necessary.‘
‘The communication is very good. We always receive timely responses. On the basis of these responses we’re able to see that our enquiries, even if very small, are taken seriously. The written and also verbal communication is readily used by both sides and delivers fast and efficient solutions.‘
‘The individuals have comprehensive knowledge in this area. Nothing is just said without purpose, every statement holds water. The documents are very precise and substantial. Matters are precisely flagged and discussed – as it should be.‘
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz, Kreisverband Solingen e. V.
WHG Wohnungsbau- und Hausverwaltungs-GmbH Eberswalde
- Successfully advised the German Red Cross Solingen in a review procedure by the private competitor Falck unto the European Court of Justice.
After Andreas Haak joined Dentons in February 2019, Taylor Wessing's procurement practice is now headed by Michael Brüggemann, who made equity partner in April 2019. The group advises the public authorities on preparation and implementation of award procedures as well as private companies on procurement law issues.
‘I highly rate Mr Brüggemann for his reliability and availability as well as for his short response times.‘
‘Michael Brüggemann – excellent procurement lawyer with a very structured, goal-oriented modus operandi and work manner, even while having a high workload.‘