Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP coordinates its Midlands employment offering from Birmingham. Headed nationally by Audrey Elliott, the Nottingham office, which houses senior partner Mark Fletcher and Mark Pipkin , is integral to the overall offering. Fletcher focuses on restructuring and TUPE work and executive severances, which is complemented by Pipkin’s experience in handling high profile employment related litigation.
Employment in East Midlands
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
Mark Fletcher; Mark Pipkin
Other key lawyers:
Unipart Group Limited
Skanska UK PLC
Brake Bros Limited
Specsavers Optical Group Limited (and other subsidiary companies)
Freeths LLP maintains its solid reputation as a Midlands employment law powerhouse, with in-house capabilities to handle employment tribunals, advise on non-contentious matters and expertise in the retail, transport, education and public sectors. The team’s recently launched Diversity and Inclusion e-learning product has attracted praise with employers looking for guidance regarding discrimination, harassment and other such issues. Rena Magdani heads the national department from Leicester, where she advises on contentious and non-contentious issues. Based alongside her is chairman Julian Middleton , who serves as the lead employment advisor to the firms’ long-standing client, Aldi Stores. Nottingham’s David Potter ‘takes full advantage of his experience and authority to consistently deliver excellent results’, and Matt McBride specialises in TUPE and the employment aspects of commercial and corporate transactions.
Rena Magdani; David Potter
Other key lawyers:
Julian Middleton; Matt McBride
‘Rena Magdani is an outstanding lawyer.’
‘The teams’ strength comes from their cohesiveness and their recognition by the judiciary. They cover for one another seamlessly and provide the relevant level of support without any sense of being over sold services’.
‘David Potter is an employment law partner and leads as a solid, approachable presence managing and discussing the case from a tactical point of view and also managing the litigation. David has a wealth of experience and a thorough knowledge of employment law and case law.’
‘Freeths communication and professionalism is spot on. They are professional and helpful, and always keep our company informed every step of the way and follow up with the agreed actions similarly.’
‘David Potter takes full advantage of his experience and authority to consistently deliver excellent results.’
‘Matt McBride is quick to respond and always thorough in his advice. The training we have received from Matt is of immense value and greatly assists and supports our employment practice. Matt is friendly and approachable. His knowledge and experience means that we can be confident in bringing difficult queries to him for help untangling them.’
ALDI Stores Limited
DPD Group UK Limited
Shoe Zone Retail Limited
National Express Limited
ERIKS Industrial Services Limited
Rhenus Warehousing Solutions Lutterworth Limited
Mettler Toledo Limited
Laser Sailboats Limited
Envisage Group Limited
Parkway Derby Limited
Panache Lingerie Limited
- Advised longstanding client DPD Group UK Limited on a range of day-to-day employment issues and successfully defended them in a number of tribunal claims and appeals to the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
- Provided all employment law and HR needs to a national retailer in respect of a workforce of approximately 30,000 people.
- Provided employment advice and HR support to a national employer with 16,000 employees, operating 40 hospitals, 114 fitness and wellbeing centres, medical centres and workplace wellbeing facilities.
Gateley Plc attracts instructions from large corporates in relation to restructuring exercises, corporate transaction support, senior executive terminations and complex employment tribunal and High Court litigation. Its Nottingham office houses Andrew Macmillan , ‘an employment lawyer at the top of his field‘ and the ‘outstanding‘ Chris Kisby, both equally respected for non-contentious and contentious mandates. Senior associate Helen Webster is another central figure, advising on the full range of employment law. The team was recently strengthened with the addition of Helen Burgess, who formerly led the Nottingham employment practice at Shoosmiths LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Kisby; Helen Webster; Helen Burgess
‘The team are always flexible, really helpful and offer practical and commercially focused advice.’
‘Andrew Macmillan provides a fantastic service. He is a first class lawyer and I trust him implicitly to assist with any new challenge we have.’
‘The team has considerable expertise not only in pure employment law but essential ancillary areas such as employment tax and pensions.’
‘Andrew Macmillan is an outstanding employment lawyer, at the very top of his field. He combines legal expertise with uncanny commercial acumen. He is equally at home with contentious and non-contentious issues and is always supportive and constructive. He is also an excellent negotiator.’
‘Chris Kisby is quite outstanding. He completely gets it and provides timely and commercial advice.’
‘Helen Webster and her team are always helpful and keep the legal jargon to a minimum ease of understanding.’
‘Helen Burgess is fantastic, she has invested the time and energy in understanding our organisation, so that she has the context and able to give us very pragmatic advice to us. I can’t recommend her highly enough.’
Aquavista Watersides and Marinas
Avanti West Coast Trains
Bibby Financial Services
Catalent Pharma Solutions
Commonwealth Games England
Deutsche Bahn (DB Cargo)
Grupo Bimbo (New York Bakery)
Lowe Alpine Rab http://www.equipuk.com
National Veterinary Services
The Pall-Ex Group
Purplebricks Group Plc
Safran Landing Systems
Samworth Brothers Limited
- Represented the Purplebricks Group in response to a Tribunal claim issued by an individual who was engaged by the client over an extended period of time to provide estate agency services on a self-employed basis via his own company.
- Continue to advise Pall-Ex in relation to the TUPE and redundancy issues associated with the termination of a contract for the supply of transport and logistics services with one service provider and the fragmentation of that contract on the subsequent appointment of two new service providers.
- Representing a property sector client in relation to a significant Tribunal claim that had been issued by three Claimants alleging inter alia – unfair dismissal; whistleblowing, race discrimination; sex discrimination; harassment related to sex and/or race; and victimisation.
Howes Percival LLP
Howes Percival LLP‘s employment team in Leicester is led by Paula Bailey , a well-known figure in the Midlands for large scale redundancy, restructuring and outsourcing/TUPE projects and the negotiation of senior exits. In Northampton, Graham Irons and director Hannah Pryce undertake all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law. Key sectors of expertise include automotive, media, food and drink and manufacturing.
Other key lawyers:
Graham Irons; Hannah Pryce
‘The employment team at HP are some of the best I have ever dealt with. Always polite quick to assist and gives comprehensive advice covering all aspects of the employment field. ‘
‘Graham Irons provides a great depth of business knowledge. Graham is a down to earth, practical, lawyer and with a sense of humour too which always helps in often difficult circumstances.’
‘What makes HP unique, the people. They are empathetic to the issues raised, work to understand the business they are working with to be able to provide understandable and relatable guidance. There is a strong theme of trust within the employment team at HP that ensures that our business is secure under their guidance.’
‘Hannah Pryce and Graham Irons are the two individuals that stand out, for me, especially Hannah Pryce, delight to deal with. She is easy to talk to and discuss issue with. Her manner and the way she communicates is also very impressive. For us, she is outstanding.’
Children’s Investment Fund Foundation
De Montfort University
First Circle Packaging Limited
Getronics Services UK Limited
Hunter Douglas UK Retail Limited t/a Hillary’s Blinds
RS Components Limited
The Gym Limited
World Vision UK
- Advised Leicester Theatre Trust in relation to high profile religious discrimination case.
- Advised Carbon Component Solutions, a leading composite component manufacturer situated in Silverstone, on its purchase of Arnold Engineering Plastics.
- Advised leading crane manufacturer Tadano on the integration of its UK entities and sites.
Office head Michael Briggs leads Shoosmiths LLP‘s employment offering in Nottingham; he is praised for his extensive knowledge of all aspects of employment law. Briggs chairs the CBI’s East Midlands Future Leaders Network, and is recommended for HR support, dismissals, whistleblowing matters and issues relating to the gig-economy and data protection.
‘The client relationship is what makes this practice unique. Michael Briggs works as an extension of my HR Team, he understands our business and helps us to make sensible decisions. The team are responsive and clear in their advice.’
‘Shoosmiths are a great team to do business with. They’re there when you need them and always listen to your requirements. No issues with billing, which is always great – we get a breakdown on where the costs have arisen, so very clear and transparent.’
‘Michael Briggs is very knowledgable about our organisation and has supported a number of my colleagues throughout the year.’
ATS Euromaster Limited
Tructyre Fleet Management Limited
John Deere Group of Companies
SC Johnson Professional Limited
Boots Management Services Limited
Saint-Gobain Group of Companies
Porterbrook Leasing Company Limited
DHL Services Limited
Techtronic Industries EMEA Limited
Rutland Water Cycling Limited
Sandvik Limited and Sandvik UK Holdings Limited
British Retail Consortium
Cope Children’s Trust (t/a Rainbows)
Adena Services Limited (t/a Monsoon Accessorize)
NATL Amusements Limited (t/a Showcase Cinemas)
ProPharma Group MIS Limited
Sirdar Holdings / DMC Group Plc
- Advising national charity sector client on a multi-faceted and extremely sensitive whistleblowing complaints, separate grievances and collective grievances.
- Advising Brunswick Property Partners in relation to all employment aspects relating to their acquisition of major office buildings near Euston Station, including complex TUPE matters.
- Advising DSS Automatic Doors Limited through a complex and sensitive disciplinary process relating to alleged fraud and misappropriation of monies and representing the client in resulting Tribunal claim.
Browne Jacobson LLP
Browne Jacobson LLP has seen increased demand for its employment advisory from public and private sector clients, including appointment to the Crown Commercial Service’s General Legal Advice Services panel and a new appointment for employment for Platform Housing Group. Its lead partners, Peter Jones and Kerren Daly advise on a wealth of issues, ranging from terminations, trade unions to TUPE and employment tribunal cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘Browne Jacobson provides a commercial approach to resolving people issues. They are financially astute and very customer focused.’
‘Kerren Daley (Partner) stands out because she uses her legal knowledge in a very commercial and practical way when advising. Her practical approach is great when wanting to bounce around different options and risks associated with each one. She is a brilliant legal practitioner with additional commerciality.’
‘The individuals I have dealt with at Browne Jacobson have proven to be highly professional in approach, providing ongoing support and building excellent relationships with members of the HR team. The legal advice we have received from all members of the Employment Law has been excellent and has enabled us to successfully address a number of employment law and pension issues.’
Crown Commercial Services
East Midlands Ambulance NHS Trust
South Derbyshire College
- Successfully defended Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service in a claim of constructive unfair dismissal alongside allegations of victimisation.
- Acting on a significant and dedicated outsourced claims handling service on behalf of Hiscox relating to EPLI insured employment claims covered by Hiscox on behalf of their policy holders and act as panel solicitors for England in relation to Hiscox insured claims.
- Represented the University of Brighton Academies Trust in respect of a claim for unfair dismissal and whistleblowing by a former senior teacher following a restructure of the Trust’s senior leadership team which led to the redundancy of the Claimant’s role.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited
Nelsons Solicitors Limited‘s ‘very professional and competent‘ team of employment specialists is led by Laura Kearsley , an experienced litigator with a proven track record defending clients in a breach of contract, discrimination, whistleblowing and restrictive covenant cases. Kearsley also plays an integral role in growing the team and strengthening its presence in Nottingham, Leicester and Derby, and has welcomed senior associate Beth Bearder, in addition to two associates, to bolster its multi-locational group. Directors Melanie Morton and Peter Nicholson have a balanced litigious and non-contentious practice, advising on issues such as including HR policies, disciplinary and grievances procedures, restructuring, TUPE and representation in employment tribunals.
Other key lawyers:
Melanie Morton; Peter Nicholson; Beth Bearder
‘There is a good mix of knowledge and the team works very well together. Clear costs brackets is new and very useful in understand the support we get.’
‘Laura Kearsley goes the extra mile. The team as a whole are very professional and competent.’
‘They are personable and build good long lasting relationships, you can have good conversations in language that is easy to understand, along with understanding the risks.’
‘Laura Kearsley is our main point of contact and is excellent. Knows her stuff, communicates in non-legal speak and always provides solutions. She manages a very good team who are all highly capable.’
‘Beth Bearder is an extremely amenable advisor who takes the time to listen to and understand the needs and wants of her clients. She gives impartial, balanced guidance and sets out the various risks associated with different approaches to any given situation. I find her counsel invaluable.’
‘Melanie Morton is particularly good. She manages to balance the legal advice with commercial requirements of our business.’
‘Peter is very conscientious, he really cares about our company and always gives great advice and goes the extra mile to help out. A totally professional, personal and caring service is provided by Peter and we would highly recommend him to any new clients.’
200 Degrees Limited
Debut Art Limited
Derbyshire County Cricket Club
Distinctive Inns Limited
Dodds Solicitors LLP
East Midlands Diamond Drilling Ltd
Fabrikat (Nottingham) Limited
FC Laser Ltd
Integrity Global Ltd
Kanes Foods Limited
Landmark Planning Limited
Nottingham Industrial Cleaners Limited
Nottinghamshire Women’s Aid Limited
Particle Technology Limited
Prime Life Limited
Raleigh UK Limited
Sherwood Prime Care Limited
Shire Leasing PLC
Summerfield Engineering Limited
WQE and Regent College Group
- Advised Prime Life Limited on a consultation project following the introduction of mandatory vaccination requirements in care homes.
- Drafted a suite of employment documentation for Symrise Limited, including various new template contracts and a complete employee handbook.
- Represented Nottingham Industrial Cleaners Limited in Employment Tribunal proceedings for unfair dismissal claim brought by a former employee relating to a dismissal on grounds of redundancy owing to the impact of COVID-19. Secured a successful outcome for the client, with the former employee failing in his claim and being awarded no compensation.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP
Shakespeare Martineau LLP‘s Nottingham and Leicester based employment team is known for successfully handling employment tribunal litigation, complex discrimination and whistleblowing cases, and employment-related aspects of corporate and commercial transactions. Philip Pepper in Leicester heads the combined corporate, IP and employment practice, with the support of director Sandeep Leighs and Rhys Wyborn in Nottingham. Wyborn is recommended for redundancy and business reorganisations, TUPE transfers and the drafting bespoke employment contracts and HR policies. Helen Molloy heads the practice at its new Lincoln office.
Other key lawyers:
Helen Molloy; Rhys Wyborn; Sandeep Leighs
‘The team is outcomes focused, well resourced and user-friendly delivering honest and pragmatic advice.’
‘A shrewd strategist, Helen Molloy is an exceptional employment lawyer, with a particular knack for getting to the nub of a matter quickly and effectively.’
‘Philip Pepper is very easy to work with, explains details and risks in plain English, has a good sense of humor which I personally find relaxing when dealing with legal issues.’
‘Our employment solicitor, Sandeep Leighs, is a true professional and someone that our company has come to rely on. Not only is she super-knowledgeable, but always looks at all aspects of a situation and will offer several potential solutions, explaining the merits and any potential consequences of each one. I can’t compare Sandeep to a competitor, as we would not use another legal company by choice.’
Rock Fish Restaurants
We Are Pioneer Group
Turbine Efficiency Group Ltd
The Campbell Clinic Ltd
Central Joinery Ltd
Friar 149 Ltd
Mosca Direct Ltd
Navi Management Ltd
Cherry Professional Ltd
Field Lane Foundation
Iceland Foods Limited
League Against Cruel Sports
nmcn plc (in administration)
MTR Crossrail t/a MTR Elizabeth Line
Illingworth Research Ltd
A Wass Funeral Directors Ltd
HAE Group Ltd
MAE Deli Ltd
PWP Building Services Ltd
Robin Hood Energy
Toyota Materials Handling (UK) Limited
Everards Brewery Limited
Motion Picture Solutions Ltd
Fisher German Limited
Becketts Foods Limited
Whitworth Bros. Limited
Ford & Slater Limited
Leicestershire Action For Mental Health Project
C T Dent
Carrs Flour Mills Limited
Purpose Media UK Ltd
University of Leicester
Nottingham Trent University
- Represented Karcher in their defence of a claim for constructive unfair dismissal. This case was unusual as the claimant was employed under a fixed term apprenticeship agreement, and because the claimant brought a claim for constructive unfair dismissal, when in fact it was the respondent who had dismissed the claimant under s.98 ERA 1996, due to his lack of performance.
- Represented Iceland Foods in a 5-day unfair dismissal and race discrimination claim. The claimant also joined his previous line manager in the claim. It involved complex allegations of discrimination over a long period of time.
- Defending MTR Crossrail in an employment tribunal claim brought by an individual who claims she applied for a role in a safety-critical role, and was refused due to her hearing impairment.
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Wilkin Chapman LLP acts for a diverse range of national clients in its specialist sectors of food and drink, logistics, packaging and the public sector. Teresa Thomas leads the national practice from Grimsby, with Oliver Tasker in Lincoln providing additional expertise in supporting senior executives and directors with workplace disputes and Tribunal claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice has offered a variety of services covering employment, conveyancing and pensions. I have always the team to be responsive and efficient.’
‘Wilkin Chapman LLP provided great employment law advice, and regardless of the nature or time of my queries, I always receive prompt, clear, practical and supportive advice.’
‘Oliver Tasker is very personable, friendly, empathetic, easy to talk to and good listeners, which I really appreciate and value. They team excel at building professional working relationships, taking the time to get to know their clients and the context of the organisation. They are very knowledgeable and always quick to respond. The service we receive is of an exceptionally high quality which I highly recommend.’
‘Oliver Tasker has a very good understanding of our business, he has navigated us through some very sensitive and difficult employment related matters. Always commercially aware, he understands the needs of our business and always considers what we ideally want to achieve before providing prompt, sound advice. Oliver is always readily available if we need him, which is great if we have a new issue to deal with.’
Food & Agriculture
Mizkan Euro Ltd
L J Fairburn & Son Ltd
Tong Engineering Ltd
Pilgrim Foodservice Ltd
St Lawrence Trust
Tollbar Multi Academy Trust
Horizon Academy Trust
North Kesteven Academy
University of Lincoln Students’ Union
Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance
Howorth Air Technology
Sowerby Chartered Accountants
Briggs & Forrester
Car Care Plan (An AmTrust Financial Company)
Pennells Garden Centres
Lindum Group Ltd
Lincoln City Football Club
Fire Shield Systems Ltd
Fives Landis Ltd
Vale Garden Houses
- Successfully advising Mizkan Euro Limited (Branston Pickle) in the defence of a multi-party race and nationality discrimination claim up to and including the final hearing at the Employment Tribunal relating to the speaking of English in the workplace.
- Advising Lincolnshire & Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance Charitable Trust (LNAACT) on the transfer of paramedics from the East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) to LNAACT under TUPE.
- Dealing with all employment law matters arising from the share sale of Total Downstream UK Limited, including the Lindsey Oil Refinery, to Prax Group, working alongside Dentons who led on the commercial deal for Total.
Actons is a growing employment law team focused on advising employers on employment tribunals, absence management and TUPE. The practice is also a founding member of the East Midlands HR Network, a not-for-profit organisation which runs HR events for professionals in the region. Nic Elliott heads the wider employment and dispute resolution practice, where he advises on the exit of senior employees and day to day employee relations. He also runs employee-related investigations, including fraud, discrimination, whistleblowing and grievances. James Symons is highlighted for tribunal work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Team are excellent – very responsive; knowledgeable and explain the law in plain English. Practice has an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of employment law and make good use of technology that helps to speed up processes. Team all interact well and seem to know what is going on whoever you speak to.’
‘Always available to explain the law and cases in such a way that the lay person understands. Never feel patronised or inadequate, will explain until we understand. Special mention to James Symons, who has handled a number of cases for us and never lost!’
‘Nic Eliott brings an optimistic and practical approach to his work. Not only does he always put the client first, he will travel to see you in person if he feels you need the support. Although based in Nottingham, Nic has travelled up and down the country to support cases he has worked on for me. ‘
‘The team continues to deliver exceptional service to me and the clients I have recommended. They offer a pragmatic no-nonsense approach that saves time and money. I trust them wholeheartedly.’
‘Nic Elliot has been my legal guru. He is easy to work with, offers great advice with concrete actions. ‘
‘Actons seem to punch above their perceived weight in the market. They have a lot of really decent clients, particularly large household names. They hold their own in messy and complex litigation while maintaining a commercial approach focused on client outcomes.’
Lookers Plc, Manchester
Iceland Foods Ltd, Deeside
Staffline Recruitment Limited, Nottingham
J Tomlinson Limited, Nottingham
Loomis UK Ltd, Nottingham
The Air Ambulance Service, Rugby
Commify Ltd, Nottingham
QS Recruitment Limited, Nottingham
- Successfully represented Staffline Recruitment in defence of claim for race discrimination and unfair dismissal for a national recruitment business.
- Acted for a national recruitment business on the successful defence of claim for statutory redundancy payment.
Flint Bishop LLP
Flint Bishop LLP operates predominantly as a respondent-focused team advising a diverse range list of national and global PLCs, large educational institutions, and charities. Louise Easthope assists with contentious and non-contentious employment matters, with a proven record of defending employment tribunal proceedings from pre-litigation to hearing.
‘Always friendly and professional, additionally they balance the risk against commercial concerns.’
‘The most important factor to me when seeking HR advice is that the response is timely, the information provided is clear and there is a named adviser who deals with all requests. All of these are provided by Flint Bishop.’
‘Louise Easthope is excellent, always calls back or answers the phone/email when needed. Her straight forward communication style makes it easy to digest the details.’
- Advised a national firm of accountants on a range of daily HR matters and have recently assisted with a contentious matter involving a senior member of staff breaching their post-termination restrictions. Additionally, the team have offered employment support to the organisation on a number of their recent acquisitions. This has involved the advising on the implications and process of complex TUPE situations and drafting consultancy agreements, employee contracts and settlement agreements.
- Retained on an ongoing basis by a well-respected charity with housing association status. In the last 12 months, the team have supported the housing association on a variety of HR matters including: Advising on a TUPE matter in which the housing association disputed that the TUPE regs applied. This required the team to undertake detailed research into the relevant caselaw and draft legal arguments to be put to the other side; Regularly supporting the organisation with queries related to COVID-19 including isolation rules and mandatory vaccinations policies; Delivering bespoke training on TUPE matters and a general HR/Employment law updated to senior stakeholders in the organisation ; and Representing the organisation in an ongoing tribunal claim brought by an ex-employee for unfair dismissal.
Geldards LLP is a good choice for employment related issues arising within the education, automotive, religious organisations, financial services, manufacturing and agriculture sectors. Senior associate Rachel Mills heads the practice following the October 2021 departure of Emma Tice. Mills divides her time between the Nottingham and Derby and is sough after for her defendant respondent work in tribunals, and on the non-contentious side, assistance with due diligence and TUPE advice.
‘Really knowledgeable team who provide pragmatic advice to avoid clients getting bogged down in dealing with vexatious claims. Brilliant monthly webinars which keep you right up to date with changes in law, latest cases and trends.’
‘The team has strength in their expertise and their ability to deliver this in a practical element. Their “power hours” are a great help, providing insightful information in short bite sized chunks, rather than a half day legal session.’
HCR Hewitsons‘ Central England team, which is led by ‘outstanding‘ employment and immigration partner Nicholas Hall, provides a full-service offering covering both contentious and non-contentious matters, including Employment Tribunal cases, grievances and dismissals, as well as reorganisations, redundancies and TUPE. The team, which also includes senior associate Gemma Hill, is praised for its ‘extremely hands-on and proactive approach to client care’.
Other key lawyers:
‘They handle a wide range of high end respondent work for national businesses. The firm has an extremely hands-on and proactive approach to client care and running complex cases as smoothly as possible.’
‘The team have a broad range of skills. A seamless service of true professionals.’
‘Very competent employment team. You know you are better advised than the other side.’
‘Nicholas Hall is outstanding. He has an immense technical knowledge of the law but also a smooth and reassuring bedside manner with clients. He is extremely approachable and highly responsive.’
‘Gemma Hill is an associate to watch. She is great at drafting and adopts a tremendous can-do attitude on complex cases.’
‘Nick Hall is extremely responsive and completely understands the commercial needs of a business.’
‘Nick Hall’s enormous experience always presents solutions in simple way. He doesn’t dazzle people with the law; he tells them what to do. ‘
Medigold Health Consultancy
St Edmund’s College, Ware
The Stage Media Company
Leicester-based BHW Solicitors is mandated by regional clients in the aerospace, packaging, insurance sectors, as well as owner managed businesses, on the full suite of employment law issues, with TUPE, restructuring and and disputes being its most busiest areas of instruction. With over 20 years’ experience, Amanda Badley , serves as head of department.
‘Amanda Badley and her team are technically excellent and pragmatic in their approach to our staffing issues. They are also quick to respond to queries and problems. They take time to get to know the business and its operations. Amanda has a history of working with our company and we have developed a very good relationship with her over the years.’
Gardner Group Limited
RG & P Limited
Correlation Risk Partners Limited
Thurne Middleby Limited
Delta Global Source Holdings Limited
Hamilton Adhesive Labels Limited
Macfarlane Group UK Limited
KCT Holdings Limited
Qualvis Print & Packaging Limited
S&B Clothing Limited
City Computing Limited
Imperial Corporate Events
Cérélia UK Limited
- Provided due diligence advise to the principal shareholders of Apption Labs Limited (manufacturer of the leading Bluetooth meat thermometer) in respect of the sale of the company to Traeger Pellet Grills.
Chattertons practice is led by Lincoln-based Danielle Lister, who maintains a busy litigious practice, defending employers in discrimination and unfair dismissal claims, with an equally strong track record advising on TUP, collective redundancies and lending HR support. The practice has been joined by solicitor Danielle Wright, who lends her 20 years’ experience to the ‘knowledgeable, organised and reactive team‘.
Other key lawyers:
‘Senior Partner, Danielle Lister is commercially solution orientated with the client’s interest always central focus. Access to other team members is always available as a back up, with good internal client brief information sharing.’
‘Knowledgeable, organised, reactive team . Excellent infrastructure, meaning a fast professional response at reasonable rates.’
Milton Gate Limited
Russell’s (Kirbymoorside) Limited
Grimme (UK) Limited
Chestnut Homes Limited
MJL Skipmaster Limited
- Advised and represented Russell’s (Kirbymoorside) Limited in defending a Springboard Injunction claim against by Off Grid Energy Limited for procuring the use of its confidential information by a former employee.
- Advising Milton Gate Limited on all employment aspects of a major corporate transaction relating to its sale to Big Motoring World including advising on TUPE transfer of staff and employment related due diligence throughout the transaction.
- Dealing with an oppressive data subject request by a disgruntled ex-employee against Chestnut Homes Limited
Premier Legal LLP
Premier Legal LLP is a Nottingham-based boutique providing employment and day-to-day HR law support to a wide mix of local clients, from pharmaceutical, automotive to hospitality and manufacturing sector companies. The firm has been particularly active in relation to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, restructuring and dismissal mandates. The practice leverages the experience of in-house barrister Adrian Barnes who conducts his own hearing and tribunals. Sarah Robinson serves as practice head.
Other key lawyers:
‘Personal service and pragmatic advice from advisers who feel very much a part of our own team.’
‘Sarah Robinson is the stand out individual. She is great with clients and technically able.’
‘Adrian Barnes is always on hand to give advice in a straightforward and efficient and costs -effective manner.’
Salop Sand and Gravel
Mortar & Screed
Acredo Financial Services
Premier Electrical Services
World Service restaurant
Nichols Brimble Bhol
- Advised SMBS Healthcare on restructure following the acquisition of a pharmacy, as well as a TUPE transfer.
- Advised retail client, White Rose on day-to-day HR issues and on the opening, closure, recruitment and relocation of a warehouse.
- Defending Castell Cyf, on behalf of their insurers, against a member of staff that had been dismissed for gross misconduct.
Sills & Betteridge LLP
Sills & Betteridge LLP is a reputed name for all-manner of employment law work including disciplinary and grievance procedures, the employment aspects of M&A transactions, dismissals and large scale restructurings. On the contentious front, the practice is also able to advise on unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing claims. It also routinely assists employers with collective bargaining disputes with Trade Unions. Stephen Britton is the main contact in the Nottingham office.
‘First-class employment and employee relations advice and Employment Tribunal representation.’
‘Stephen Britton, Partner at Sills & Betteridge, has provided me with high quality employment law advice and support over many years and I can wholly recommend him and his company.’
‘Stephen Britton is a fabulous employment lawyer. He takes time to understand the issues we have and why a particular course of action was taken. He takes time to explain all options open to us and the pros and cons of those options. The combination of easy to understand language and empathy engenders a good working relationship.’
BFS Group Limited
East GB Limited
Nottingham City Transport Limited
Blackfinch Financial Limited
George Bateman & Son Limited
Cipher International Limited
3663 Transport Limited
Elite Frozen Foods Limited
At Smith Partnership, lead partner James Johnson often works alongside internal HR and in-house legal teams to advise on large-scale redundancies, TUPE transfers, discrimination claims and high-level executive entrants and exits.
‘James Johnson provides a personable service, has always delivered and turned around responses and documentation in a timely fashion. His knowledge and support with the cases we present and his advice accordingly provides a great deal of comfort and confidence.’