Litigation in Colombia
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S. experienced practice covers the waterfront of contentious matters, with strong skill sets in cross-border disputes arising from M&A transactions and infrastructure controversies. High-profile figure Claudia Benavides -who is also head of the firm's Global Dispute Resolution practice- leads the 14-strong team which handles commercial, administrative and civil litigation, as well as arbitration. The practice is also well-versed in constitutional matters and in a key highlight, successfully represented China United Engineering Corporation (CUC) before both the Constitutional Court and the Council of State in a twin action brought by its counterparty against the award obtained by CUC in a 2017 international arbitration case. Local partner Cristina Mejia, a former head of litigation at Coca-Cola Femsa, represents clients from the infrastructure, financial, oil, pharmaceutical and real estate sectors, in particular in both litigation and arbitration. At senior associate level, however, the team has experienced a degree of turbulence, enduring the departure of former practice director Juan Guillermo Otero in May 2019, while senior associate Christian Pérez returned to Lloreda Camacho & Co. in March 2020 after only five months at the firm. However, senior associate Jorge Valencia returned to the firm in December 2019 after a period as an in-house head of litigation in the logistics sector.
Louis Berger Group
Parsons Group International
China United Engineering Corporation
Progin / Anas
- Represented Caracol in a lawsuit filed by Madis de Colombia regarding the alleged publication of untrue facts about Madis.
- Represented China United Engineering Corporation in a civil procedure against the insurance company Axa Colpatria Seguros
- Successfully represented Embraer in a $10.5m suit filed by a distributor seeking the payment for the termination of an alleged commercial agency agreement.
- Represented Megabus in a judicial proceeding related to a bidding process to select the company that will be responsible for the collection of bus fares.
- Represented a consortium formed by Anas and Progin in a lawsuit brought by state agency Fondo de Adaptación regarding the engineering, design and subsequent construction of 13 bridges.
'A strong team that anticipates legal risks', Brigard Urrutia fields 20 practitioners in a litigation, arbitration and insolvency department that covers the full spectrum of contentious matters, including civil, commercial, administrative, antitrust and bankruptcy litigation. Practice head Irma Rivera, who has over 25 years' experience leading complex litigation and arbitration cases, directs the group which includes associate practice director Felipe Mutis, whose substantial knowledge and capabilities are appreciated by clients; and seniors María Munevar-Torrado and Paola Guerrero-Yemail who frequently advise and litigate on matters before the Superintendence of Industry, Trade and Commerce, and Superintendence of Corporations, respectively; and fellow senior Carlos Mauricio Cerrato who undertakes civil and commercial litigation. However, Luis Alfredo Barragán departed August 2019 to found Asteri Abogados.
‘A strong team that anticipates legal risks and generates a valuable proposition that works for business objectives. Always taking care of all aspects and with a 360-degree vision and strategic thinking‘.
‘The conflict resolution team, especially Felipe Mutis, shows a deep knowledge, not only of procedural law, but also in substance . Despite his youth, he has vast experience and reflects confidence in all his performances. I would highlight the arduous preparation and the depth of their writings‘.
‘Irma Isabel Rivera is recommended‘
‘Associate Carlos Mauricio-Cerratto has a great technical proficiency in the handling of civil procedural law and a determining criteria to guide the legal strategy successfully‘.
General Electric Company / General Electric International (GE)
- The firm represents the client, as defendant in proceedings initiated by victims of a terrorist attack against a pipeline.
- Representing lenders and creditors in the reorganisation proceedings of a passenger transportation services company.
- Represented a social media company in hearings before the Constitutional Court related to freedom of speech matters.
- Representing an electronic devices multinational in a constitutional class action arising from an alleged breach of consumer protection law in some of the company’s products.
- Representing a financial company which is part of a cross-border bankruptcy case that involves three different proceedings; the main proceeding is before the bankruptcy court of a Caribbean jurisidiction.
Handling the full array of contentious matters, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) 's dispute resolution and investment protection practice has particular niche expertise in contractual liability damages. The full-service firm and Affinitas' member-firm for Colombia handles cases before all court instances in cases involving private and state parties and related to a wide range of matters, including tort, public contracts, distribution, agency, utilities, infrastructure, project finance, and oil and gas. Leading the 16-strong team, practice heads David Araque and veteran litigator William Araque (who is moving from administrative and commercial duties to continue advising in an of counsel role), consistently participate as litigants and experts in relation to contract law, product liability, and tort, among other matters. Senior associate Natalia Castellanos, a former administrative judge, is also a key member of the team.
‘The opportunity in the provision of their services, and their knowledge and experience in practice, are highlighted. There is no doubt that it has qualified personnel who offer a very good service‘.
‘David Araque is recommended for his business knowledge and the ability to provide effective solutions‘.
‘The dispute resolution team has several key capabilities, it exceeds expectations every time we consult them as their law knowledge in general is superior to other firms‘.
‘David Araque is the partner that we mostly work with and we couldn’t be happier with the service he and his team provides. He understands our business as a whole, which makes his advice key to our companies‘.
Huawei Managed Services
Refinería de Cartagena
General Motors Colmotores
Solarte Nacional de Construcciones
Construcciones Colombianas OHL
Graña Montero Jiménez
- Advised Agrupación Guinovart Obras & Servicios Hispania in a dispute arising from the performance of a construction contract for the Tranvia Ayacucho.
- Represented Arquitectos e Ingenieros Asociados, Convel and Coninsa Ramón H, in a dispute arising from the good quality guarantee of a construction contract executed with Unicentro PH.
- Advised a company regarding the applicability and scope of the constitutional right to prior consultation of ethnic communities regarding oil and mining projects.
- Advised a company in a tort proceeding through which the claimant is seeking damages as a result of the conduct of respondents during the negotiation and sale of a financial entity.
- Defended a financial company in a contract liability action.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's comprehensive and 'solid' practice handles the full spectrum of litigation and arbitration matters, including remedial advice, and is lauded for its strategies. Practice heads Héctor Hernández and Julio César González lead the 13-strong practice, which also includes principal associate Mario Pérez, also a seasoned litigator. Handling civil, commercial and administrative litigation up to High Courts, with special emphasis on construction-related disputes, Hernández current caseload includes the on-going defence of the interests of two energy companies, bringing a restoration of rights and a nullity action. Fellow co-head González undertakes class action lawsuits, among other matters, is also managing two ongoing proceedings derived from claims for alleged anti-trust violations. Senior associate Juan Sebastián Arias is also a relevant member.
‘It is a solid team, made up of lawyers with a lot of experience in the matter. They use pragmatic approaches and are very diligent‘.
‘Their professional experience and extensive knowledge in national and international issues are highlighted‘.
‘Julio González is skilled person with a great ability to understand problems and provide quick and cost-effective solutions. Associates Mario Pérez and Carolina Correal are very professional, agile and quite diligent in monitoring processes‘.
‘They are noted for their professional experience, and teamwork, especially in regards to the multidisciplinary relationship. Héctor Hernández, senior associate Juan Sebastián Arias and associates Laura Lamo, Verónica Barone and María Alejandra Pallares are outstanding’.
‘To fully understand a dispute, they take the trouble to make field visits and study thouroughly all the information supplied. They have a knowledge and experience in defence strategies that differentiates them from others. Julio González and Mario Pérez provided comprehensive advice‘.
Mota-Engil Engenharia e Construcao
Piaggio Group Americas
New Granada Energy Corporation
Frontera Energy (Colombia)
Concesionaria Ruta del Cacao
Jaguar Land Rover Colombia
Asociación Colombiana de Fondos de Capital Privado – Colcapital
Compañía Eléctrica de Sochagota
- Led advice to ISAGEN and Chivor on the strategy in bringing a restoration of rights and nullity action against the Gas & Energy Agency (CREG) regarding an executive order that modified the companies’ remuneration with retroactive effects.
- Represented the Colombian subsidiary of a Peruvian mining company in a collection proceedings against a subsidiary of a Canadian mining company, as a consequence of a breach of a mining operation contract.
- Advised the subsidiary of a global investment bank in a class action brought by Senator Jorge Enrique Robledo, which seeks -within the company’s forced liquidation process ordered by the health regulator- to declare the 2017 sale of the contracts, assets and liabilities of Saludcoop EPS null and void.
- Represented and led litigation on behalf of Drummond Energy, Anglogold Ashanti and Gramalote in regards to 350 claims of land restitution that involve mining, oil and gas concessions in different regions of Colombia.
- Represented a major telecoms company in a claim against the telecommunications agency regarding a previous decision imposing a roaming connection on its infrastructure benefitting another market player.
According to clients, Posse Herrera Ruiz is distinguished through its partner dedication, depth of quality and comprehensive support of the full-service firm's other departments. Fielding three expert partners, the 17-strong practice is led by founding partner Daniel Posse, a reputed litigator and arbitrator, and Carolina Posada, who also has extensive experience at all levels of civil and administrative courts, where she advises clients from a diverse range of industries. Pablo Enrique Sierra specialises in collection actions, constitutional actions, regulation and damage estimation, contractual liability, and tort matters. In a key highlight the three partners teamed up to represent Bancolombia in an action to nullify an arbitration tribunal ruling regarding the financing for the construction of a toll road. Senior associate Juan Pablo Bonilla brings relevant support; however, former head of the public law practice, María Lucía Posada who also acted on contentious matters, left the firm in July 2020. Since publication Bonilla has been raised to the partnership (effective: April 2021).
‘Posse Herrera Ruiz’s dispute resolution practice could be the best in the country. Their strength lies in the team, which is made up of professionals with knowledge and extensive experience in different types of disputes and in different litigation specialties, in such a way that the team complements itself and provides a very complete service. Additionally, I have been able to perceive first-hand that the firm dedicates great effort and cares about providing a quality service to its clients. Last but not least, I have found the support of a large law firm very useful, as I had the support of other areas of the firm (e.g., taxes and customs, financial, mines and energy) when the dispute in question has dealt with those substantive areas‘.
‘It is worth highlighting the work Carolina Posada, showing a great mastery of the issues and is always available to answer customer calls and questions‘.
‘The personalised attention from partners is highlighted. In particular I work with Carolina Posada, who handles a large part of the practice, stands out especially from the team. She is a highly experienced arbitration and litigation attorney who knows many fields of law. She always has the right answer for every question we ask her and her strategies are very effective. I am impressed by her ability to handle many subjects at once, with an agility and speed that is rarely seen in the market, but at the same time with a lot of depth and knowledge. Laura Castilla, a junior lawyer who works hand in hand with them, is very attentive and always available‘.
Nabors, Nov Colombia (part of National Oilwell Varco) and Halliburton
- Advised Constructora Ariguani on a claim against contractors Grodco and Tecnica Vial for failing to terminate work and for the quality of work delivered, related to a road construction project.
- Represented Bancolombia in a complex case to recover capital lent for the construction of a shopping mall which violated the construction permits; the team also represented the client in an action to nullify an arbitration tribunal ruling between Concesionaria Ruta al Sol and the National Infrastructure Agency (ANI).
- Advised oil and gas company, Terpel, in a case initiated by Ludesa and Casa Motor. regarding former commercial agreements with the client.
- Advised Omnilife in two claims were initiated by distributors who alleged that the client owed certain prizes following the outcome of a competition.
- Represented Impala in seven claims initiated by the families of the victims of a barge accident; the actions have been initiated in two different jurisdictions and concern non-contractual responsibility claims.
Reputed for its work in structuring infrastructure projects, top tier Arrieta Mantilla & Asociados is also a go-to firm for major companies when facing litigation and arbitration disputes regarding both infrastructure projects and extractive industries matter. The six strong practice is led by three expert senior figures: Álvaro Mantilla -whose extended experience includes being the CEO of National Highway Agency INVIAS– and Carlos Gustavo Arrieta, with a successful track record on constitutional and public law related cases, work alongside fellow co-head Paula Andrea Ramos who is highly qualified in both arbitration and litigation. In a key highlight the firm is defending Conoco Phillips in a class action related to use of the hydraulic fracturing extraction technique (fracking) in a case likely to have repercussions for the rest of the oil and gas industry. Senior associate Carlos Alberto Manzano is also a key member of the team.
‘It is a very good team always ready to have contact with the client to resolve concerns about the legal strategy. The team dedicates time to the case, learning the technical aspects, which allows the client to understand the dispute. They have considerable experience in handling disputes before arbitration tribunals‘.
‘We have direct contact with Paula Ramos and senior associate Carlos Alberto Manzano, and when necessary, with Álvaro Mantilla. The plus that makes them stand out is the existence of a consolidated team of lawyers and the specific experience in infrastructure litigation‘.
‘They develop a thorough understanding of each case, defining the strategy to follow. Alvaro Mantilla, Paula Andrea Ramos and senior associate Carlos Alberto Manzano are highlighted‘.
Concesionaria Vial de los Andes
Concesionaria Vial del Pacífico
Sociedad Operadora de Aeropuertos de Centro Norte – AIRPLAN
Comunicación Celular (Comcel)
Constructora de Infraestructura Vial
Cerrejón Zona Norte
Consorcio Constructor Pacífico 1
Concesionaria Vial del Oriente
Consorcio Vía al Mar
Conoco Phillips Colombia
- Represented Episol as defendant in a diffuse rights claim -valued at around $250m- regarding the violation of public funds, legal usage and public morality.
- Represented ConocoPhillips in a class action seeking to halt the company’s operations, arguing the alleged use of fracking in the fields granted to it by the Colombian Government.
- Represents Drummond in a judicial claim against the national mining agency regarding gross revenues’ compensation.
- Represented Cerrejón Zona Norte as defendant in a class action regarding violation of environmental and health rights.
Botero Salazar Tobón Abogados
Boutique Botero Salazar Tobón Abogados specialises in commercial and administrative litigation and arbitration, with the firm’s market-leading insurance capability continuing to drive a significant volume of cases. The firm handles mandates involving civil responsibility and tort claims with an emphasis on public contracts, claims against the state and insurance cases. The six-strong group is co-directed by Bernardo Salazar, who sources regard as 'knowledgeable and commercially pragmatic’; Luís Felipe Botero, who has extensive experience in the litigation arena; and Andrés Tobón, a civil litigation specialist.
Pacific Stratus Energy
Johnson & Johnson MD&D
Alpina Productos Alimenticios
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline in a tort claim involving multiple public entities.
- Provided legal support to Halliburton in an action filed against Gold Oil and Reickon.
Held up for its 'depth, quality, dedication' and especially for achieving successful outcomes, the former Chemás Roldán & Asociados, now reincorporated as Chemás & Asociados has experience representing significant companies in intricate disputes related to transport, telecommunications, energy and public-service infrastructure projects. Led by administrative law and public procurement specialist Jorge Eduardo Chemás, whose long trajectory includes acting for Colombian state entities during their restructuring processes, the eight-strong team also features commercial, antitrust and consumer law litigation specialist Ingrid Soraya Ortiz as co-head. The group handles constitutional, administrative and contentious commercial issues, and is also experienced in the enforcement of arbitral awards.
- Successfully acted for Constructora Andrade Gutiérrez before the State Council by reaffirming the ruling of an arbitral tribunal and forcing state entity INVIAS to comply.
- Offered legal counsel to Ingetec – Ingenieros y Consultores during the pre-litigation period of negotiations with the Ministry of Education prior to filing a claim for tort damages against the Patrimonio Autónomo Fondo de Financiamiento para la Infraestructura Educativa PA-FFIE.
- Successfully represented Telefónica Móviles before the Administrative Tribunal of Cundinamarca, which reaffirmed the ruling of an arbitral tribunal forcing the Empresa de Telefonía de Bogota – ETB to pay the sums as confirmed by the tribual plus interest.
- Represented Centro de Gerenciamiento de Residuos Doña Juana in a $400m lawsuit against the Unidad Administrativa Especial de Servicios Públicos (UAESP) regarding economic imbalance of the concession contract to operate and modernise the current waste treatment plant.
Best known for its niche expertise in financial fraud matters and white-collar crime, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero is a go-to firm in financial regulation and administrative litigation. The 15-strong group features five expert partners who lead the practice; founding partner Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero and Carolina Arenas, who both have extensive experience in corporate and procedural law, have recently been handling groups defrauded by Ponzi schemes - with the firm currently acting in four such cases. Also heading the public procurement area, Daniel Rodríguez acts in disputes related to commercial and financial law, including insolvency judicial procedures. Jacques Simhon leads the corporate criminal law practice and co-heads the competition area. Since publication Arenas has left the firm, effective as of February 2021.
‘Their key strengths are the availability to resolve doubts, the awareness of the process, and knowledge of the subjects. Also, delivering responses in a timely manner‘.
Group of victims (15) of Vesting Group Colombia
Group of victims (31) of Tu Renta Profesionales en Inversiones
Group of victims (43) of Estrategias en Valores
Group of victims (535) of Elite International Americas
Banco Internacional de Costa Rica- BICSA
Interprint do Brasil Indústria de Papéis Decorativos Ltda- Interprint
- Represented Fiduprevisora as the administrator of the fund Fondo Nacional de Garantías in a claim filed by Isagen, which is pursuing the return of the sums it contributed.
- Represented a group of 535 people against Elite International Americas for allegedly performing illegal deposit-taking from the public through the sale of promissory notes.
- Represented Banco Internacional de Costa Rica (BICSA) in a judicial insolvency procedure before the Colombian Superintendence of Companies in the defence of its financial creditor rights.
- Offered legal advice and representation to a US law firm on a confidential matter related to a securities investigation.
Held up for its 'excellence' in civil and contractual liability, DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán's comprehensive practice encompasses the full spectrum of contentious matters, with class actions -particularly in the financial and insurance areas- standing out as a sweet spot. In a recent case in point, department co-head and managing partner Camilo Martínez successfully represented the Colombian Sugarcane Growers Association (Asocaña) in a constitutional group action. Fellow co-head José Miguel Mendoza, whose former posts include chief judge of business courts and head of the public utilities’ supervisor, specialises in corporate litigation. The 10-strong group also includes associate litigation directors, seniors Julian Solorza, who advises on class actions and punitive administrative processes, and Sergio Rojas leading the liability and damages practice. Competition co-head María Claudia Martínez also participates in the area.
‘DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán’s professionals have great personal qualities. All have great professional experience and knowledge in their subjects‘.
‘Their teamwork is excellent, distributing functions and the entire team is well trained‘.
‘Excellent procedural and substantial knowledge on issues of civil and contractual liability‘.
‘The personal treatment is excellent. They are respectful and have an interest in collaborating with the client, further to what is asked of them. María Claudia Martínez, Julian Solorza, and Nestor Camilo Martínez are noted‘.
‘José Miguel Mendoza is an excellent lawyer, diligent, with adequate and clear knowledge, and very good customer service’.
‘High preparation and knowledge of legal and dispute resolution issues. I highlight the work of associate director Sergio Rojas‘.
‘Associate director Sergio Rojas is a highly prepared, studious and analytical lawyer. Camilo Martínez Beltrán is an equally knowledgeable, academically prepared, experienced, calm and honest lawyer. They make use of the attributes, experience and knowledge of other lawyers in the firm, which contributed to make our case more robust and solid‘.
Fondo Nacional de Gestión del Riesgo de Desastres
Ingenio Del Cauca
Banco Av Villas
Bolsa de Valores de Colombia
EPK Kids Smart
Ingenio Del Cauca
Tribeca Asset Management
- Successfully represented Colombian Sugarcane Growers Association (Asocaña) as defendant in a constitutional group action against the entire Colombian sugar industry, valued at $4.9bn.
- Represented Incolbest in a class action that intends to ban the use of asbestos–chrysotile in Colombia.
- Representing minority investoy Concay in a claim brought against the controlling shareholders of road concessionaire Devimar (Sacyr and Strabag) for alleged breach of an agreement.
- Successfully represented QBE in several fiscal liability procedures initiated by the General Comptroller of the Republic concerning possible obligations to pay the Colombian State indemnifications due to the misuse of public ressources.
Highly sought after for its deep expertise in both private and public law disputes, Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos brings to bear an impressive track record in contentious administrative, constitutional and public law matters. The 13-strong practice is a favoured choice for all-type of contentious matters, from corporate and financial disputes and fiscal liability matters, to challenges to administrative acts, as well as litigation in relation to environmental permits for extractive and construction activities. Founding partner Juan Carlos Esguerra, who has an extended trajectory both in litigation and arbitration that also includes senior public roles. He co-leads the area with Felipe Piquero, who litigates on public procurement and domestic and international state-responsibility matters; and Andrés Jaramillo who focuses primarily on cases related to unfair trade, anticompetitive practices and commercial issues. Director of the public law practice Adriana Nieto, and associate director of litigation Andrés Felipe Cadena are also key practice members.
‘Their professional training and extensive experience is recommended. We highlight the participation of Drs. Felipe Piquero and Adriana Nieto‘.
Carbones del Cerrejon
Une EPM Telecomunicaciones
Compañía de Seguros Confianza
Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos
Fondo Nacional de Turismo
- Represented Carbones del Cerrejón in an administrative judicial proceeding initiated by indigenous communities, members of the Congress and an NGO requesting the Council of State nullify the environmental permits that enable the company’s operations.
- Represented Coviandina against two lawsuits commenced by Gaseosas Lux and a group individuals in representation of their family members seeking the cancellation of environmental licenses.
- Acted as counsel to Equion on an administrative judicial proceeding to nullify certain decisions taken by the Contraloría, Colombia’s fiscal authority.
- Represented insurer Confianza in several lawsuits initiated against the Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano de Bogotá.
Garrigues increasingly prominent group handles a diverse spread of commercial and administrative litigation and arbitration cases, while maintaining a robust bankruptcy practice. Recent work has strong showings in regulated sectors including construction, energy, healthcare and real estate. The practice has also increased the load work in agency agreement litigation cases. Recommended practice head Alberto Acevedo, acting both in litigation and arbitration, leads a six-strong group that also draws strength from the Spanish firm's wider network. Senior associate Ángela María Rueda and associate Daniel Quintero bring relevant support, as well as real estate department senior associate Melissa Castro, who is experienced in litigation in relation to public law.
‘Garrigues is a unique practice because of the sensibility shown towards the client. They explain legal issues to the client in a commercial way, the practice has specialized teams in order to present a proper defence, and also looks for an amicable resolution in order to benefit the parts, always protecting the best interest of the client’.
‘We highlight Melissa Castro; sometimes its difficult to express the legal differences with counterparties, that is what makes her experience special. Castro is an excellent professional in corporate matters and generates assertive recommendations for the client. Alberto Acevedo is a professional with a high level of experience and development, capable of transmitting his complete knowledge in the field and resolving complex conflicts in the simplest way possible. An invaluable support for an in-house lawyer’s office’.
‘They have an excellent disposition for the review, analysis and management of the processes, they keep updated and offer alternatives for the situations presented’.
‘The Garrigues team, and especially Alberto Acevedo and Melissa Castro, characterise themselves by offering correct, well-founded and applicable law concepts’.
‘Alberto Acevedo and Daniel Quintero are trained professionals with experience in the topic consulted. They support the client’s decision with objective and clear information’.
Operadora Alsea de Colombia
- Defended Frontera Energy in a class action for an alleged breach of obligation to supply timely and truthful information to the stock market.
- Defended Frontera Energy in a lawsuit filed by former contractor Enefenco, in a claim for unilateral termination of contract.
- Defended a manufacturer in a liability case for an explosion at a key piece of infrastructure.
- Represented Catalonia Institute of Construction Technology, as plaintiff, in a case against state-owned Mio Cali, for unwarranted termination of an agreement.
Handling top tier commercial, administrative and constitutional litigation, Holland & Knight's multi-disciplinary practice fields three renowned specialist partners. Practice head Alberto Zuleta is a litigator and arbitrator who also undertakes antitrust investigations and unfair competition cases. The practice has a notable sweet spot in all-type disputes related to the energy sector, particularly those presenting environmental or community aspects, where energy and natural resources head José Vicente Zapata brings his expertise to bear. Prestigious corporate and transactional figure, executive partner Enrique Gómez-Pinzón is also active in the area, especially in arbitration. The eight-strong group also includes senior counsel Juan Casallas who focuses on public law, constitutional and administrative litigation; and associate Estefanny Pardo who acts in environmental and mining litigation.
‘Holland & Knight’s dispute resolution group knows how to handle the dynamics of a judicial process and they have high standards of experience in each of the disputes they advise’.
‘Alberto Zuleta’s extensive experience in judicial and arbitration processes allows him to generate confidence in the client, knowing that his dispute is in the best hands‘.
- Represented a mining company in several constitutional claims for the protection of fundamental rights regarding ethnic communities.
- Defended a communications company in a civil case brought by a distributor claiming breach of contract.
- Handled the defence of a construction company in a fiscal liability proceeding before the Contraloría General de la República.
- Represented a client who brought a nullity claim against an administrative act issued by Colombian Government which regulates hydrocarbon activities.
Zuleta Abogados Asociados S.A.S is best known for its first-class arbitration expertise both in the domestic and international arenas, but it also handles commercial litigation, complex administrative litigation and class action cases. Additionally, the group has also developed an international public law and human rights practice that is both novel and unique in the local market. Fielding a sizable 22-strong practice group –one of the largest– which includes six expert partners, the group is led by renowned figure, Eduardo Zuleta. Gustavo Suárez is widely recognised as an expert in the oil and gas industry, while Antonio Aljure Salame is deeply experienced in international law. Rafael Rincón Ordóñez is also experienced in international disputes related to construction, oil and gas and human rights, while Rafael Bernal Gutiérrez brings expertise in commercial litigation, among other capabilities.
‘A team of excellent professionals of international stature. Probably the best arbitration firm in Colombia‘.
‘Eduardo Zuleta and Rafael Rincón are points of reference, of their respective generations, in the arbitration scene. Both take the professionalism and moral honesty of the referee’s work to the maximum expression. Eduardo Zuleta’s trajectory gives him a unique knowledge of the benefits and shortcomings of the system and the unique opportunity to establish the policies and roadmap of changes in the arbitration institution par excellence and in the organization that publishes the most relevant soft laws. Few referees gather a 360 degree formation like Zuleta’s‘.
‘Eduardo Zuleta’s experience makes the difference. Rafael Rincón is an extremely bright young partner‘.
‘Their disposition, efficiency and sense of responsibility is excellent. Zuleta Abogados Asociados is made up of an interdisciplinary team of lawyers with experience and in-depth knowledge of the law. We have had as advisor or referee Eduardo Zuleta, Antonio Aljure, Rafael Bernal, Rafael Rincón, and Gustavo Suárez, all are excellent‘.
‘It is a highly professional team committed to the cause of its client. Eduarzo Zuleta, Daniela Paez and Rafael Bernal deserve special attention‘.
‘Rafael Rincón has a good command of conflict resolution, international, procedural and free competition law. Excellent customer management. Associate Sebastián Briceño masters the process. He is a very structured, competent and efficient lawyer. He has a very good treatment, which allows an easy interaction to carry out different activities‘.
Drummond / Drummond Coal Mining
Aleatica (former OHL Concesiones)
Oleoducto Bicentenario de Colombia
Shikun & Binui
Superior Energy Services
Santo Domingo Motors Company
Fondo Latinoamericana de Reservas (FLAR)
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Barranquilla
- Acts as counsel to Uber in civil litigation initiated by a taxi company.
- Counsel to BP Exploration in a class action initiated for the alleged violation of certain collective rights concerning apparent infomation inconsistencies supposedly show that there was an under-payment of the royalties owed to the Colombian State.
- Advised a Colombian conglomerate in complex litigation concerning sensitive allegations, the team providing strategic guidelines to mitigate torts and contractual liabilities.
- Advising a transnational private equity fundoin the potential acquisition of economic rights arising from awards proffered against Colombian State Agencies and third-party funding.
Arrubla Devis Asociados
The boutique of former President of the Supreme Court of Justice Jaime Alberto Arrubla, Arrubla Devis Asociados focuses on complex litigation and arbitration disputes. Lauded for both by its academic and procedural expertise, the practice group represents public and private sector clients in commercial, civil, corporate and administrative disputes, as well as in general legal advisory. Arrubla, who has particular expertise in handling annulment appeals, co-heads the 10 strong team with senior associates Rafael McCausland and Sebastián Montoya who has expertise handling corporate and contractual matters, and company liquidations and insolvency litigation, respectively.
‘We have had total satisfaction working with the firm. The team reflects all the experience of a former Magistrate and Secretary General of the Presidency of Colombia, who has also written six books, such as is Jaime Arrubla. One finds academic knowledge and litigation capability in a single firm, with a great sense of responsibility that adds to the previous qualities. Jaime Arrubla’s management is reflected throughout the team‘.
‘They combine a deep knowledge of Colombian law, with an understanding of international business law. They provide a service whose quality and response times are by far the best I know‘.
‘Jaime Arrubla is one of the most important jurists in the country and combines his experience as a judge, with many years practicing law, which gives him great professional versatility. Jaime Esteban Arrubla and Rafael McCausland are excellent lawyers, fully bilingual, with solid legal knowledge and outstanding analytical skills‘.
‘Jaime Arrubla and Rafael McCausland are legal professionals with a long history and responsibility, always ready to keep their clients very well informed of the strategy and of each event to be developed‘.
ANDJE – Agencia Nacional de Defensa Jurídica del Estado
Fábric de Especias y Productos El Rey
Triguisar de Colombia
Smurfit Kappa – Cartón de Colombia
- Succesfully represented land owners in their claim against coal multinational Yildirin’s Colombian subsidiary regarding a breach of contract in the acquisition of La Esmeralda, a family land holding in which a coal mine was due to be constructed.
- Represented Ruth Díaz, a former commercial agent of a coffee producers cooperative entity claiming damages for the unlawful termination of her contract.
- Represented XM Compañía de Expertos en Mercado before the administrative jurisdiction in a lawsuit filed by the company in charge of the construction of the thermo-generation project Termocol.
DAC Beachcroft Colombia
At DAC Beachcroft Colombia, class actions and third-party civil liability matters are the twin pillars of the practice, with the international firm’s market-leading insurance capability continuing to drive a significant volume of cases. The practice also handles ordinary insurance claims, and labour and administrative matters. The specialist firm increased its partnership in Colombia by hiring Ana Catalina Restrepo, an experienced partner in insurance litigation and arbitration who joined from local firm Tamayo Jaramillo & Asociados in February 2019. Restrepo also brings experience with the reinsurer local sector. Camila de la Torre and Juan Diego Arango head the eight-strong practice, which also frequently works with the firm’s other offices in Latin America.
AEGIS Managing Agency Limited
Swiss Reinsurance Company
Navigators UK (The Hartford)
Liberty International Underwriters
- Conduct the defence of Zurich UK, and QBE as the local cedant, in a class action commenced by 100 fishermen seeking compensation for the contamination of a river.
- Represented Aegis as the local cedant in litigation for a loss-of-pilot-license policy under which a former airline pilot was requesting coverage.
- Represented Liberty International Underwriters in a claim arising from a constructor liability policy being triggered by damage caused to a property adjacent to one of the insured’s projects.
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas boosted its dispute resolution department with several incorporations during 2019, most notably the return of Andrés Fernández de Soto who has a lengthy trajectory litigating in courts and in arbitration disputes, as practice co-head. His return has boosted the department with an uptick of new high-profile case, such as that of Consorcio HHA Aguas de Aburrá in a dispute board against Aguas Nacionales EPM. The comprehensive practice acts across an array of industries and handles all types of contentious matters, including insolvency procedures. Several high-profile cases are co-led by Ximena Zuleta, head of the firm’s public law and competition. Key associate input comes from senior Paula Vejarano; with notable experience in construction and PPP-related disputes, she co-heads the practice. The now eight-strong team includes associate Martín Vásquez, specialising in administrative law, and was recently boosted at junior level by the arrival of two additional associates.
Aecom Technical Services
Azteca Comunicaciones (TV Azteca)
Exxon Mobil de Colombia
Ford Motor Company
Consorcio Aguas de Aburrá HHA (Consorcio MASA)
- Represented a multinational infrastructure company in a state-private company litigation, in which a governmental entity claimed breach of contract for the supervision of a major resettlement project.
- Represented Ford in a domestic civil lawsuit initiated by a local dealer, who claimed the existence of commercial agency agreement and sought damages for alleged undue termination of said agreement.
- Advised Morgan Stanley in a judicial procedure to recover $20m lent to Cablevision.
Fabio Humar Abogado
Boutique Fabio Humar Abogado is singled out as one of the top economic criminal law firms both by market sources and clients. The firm dedicates itself exclusively to handling consultations, disputes and investigations –representing claimants and defendants– in relation to white collar crime, compliance, money laundering and tax investigations. It has also developed niche expertise on collusion cases affecting public tenders. Under the leadership of securities fraud specialist Fabio Humar, a former Colombian prossecutor in the Unit of Financial Crimes, Money Laundering and Economic Order, as well as in the National Intellectual Property Unit, the practice has a regional scope, advising companies from Panama, Chile and the US. Associate Sandra Ramon, who holds prior experience at the national prosecutors office, is also a key member of the team.
‘Fabio Humar Abogados is a firm that stands out in the country in the practice of criminal law, first of all due to its extensive experience and knowledge in the matter and due to the success rate in litigation in which it represents its customers. Secondly, the ability to provide legal advice, negotiation and mediation make this firm one of the most important in the country. It is unique due to the fact that Fabio Humar has served as a prosecutor in the country and has practiced criminal litigation in the United States, as well as that he uses technological resources. In-house lawyers need to know that they can count on the expertise of the firm and that the service is 24/7. Clearly all this experience and knowledge makes it comparable in terms of solvency and in a way that outstrips other firms‘.
‘The plus is undoubtedly the service they provide to customers, as it is courteous, timely, efficient and effective, with accurate and specific advice. We consider that the differentiating factor in addition to the experience of Fabio Humar is the personalised attention he provides to his clients, without neglecting a single detail when it comes to advising them. We highlight the assertiveness, good sense, honesty, analytical capacity, perseverance and discipline‘.
‘The team shows commitment to the customer and has knowledge and strategies on how to handle the processes‘.
- Representing a client’s interest in a criminal court in defence of intellectual property related to the creation of a mobile phone application.
- Acted in the defence of the board members of a financial institution indirectly involved in a corruption case.
- Represented a group of people affected by a financial institution with the aim of recovering funds.
Long-established firm Gamboa Abogados retains a solid reputation for commercial, civil, and administrative litigation, as well as arbitration proceedings, particularly in relation to the firm's niche expertise in port infrastructure projects. The boutique continued to represent Compañía de Puertos Asociados and Sociedad Portuaria Puerto Bahía in judicial disputes and arbitration. Among the names to note, Ernesto Gamboa brings to bear a strong record in contract-related disputes, and additionally as an arbitrator of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) given his knowledge in sports law. Eduardo Gamboa, focusing on civil and commercial litigation, and arbitration, is also a key member of the seven-strong boutique.
‘The excellence and invaluable experience of the attorneys in charge. His impeccable performance in the hearings and his proactivity in seeking alternatives that allow him to obtain advantages in the litigation under his charge‘.
‘Deep knowledge of the practice of international arbitration. I highlight Dr. Ernesto Gamboa‘.
‘His work is very good, timely, he proposes creative solutions and also the cost-benefit ratio is very good‘.
Compañía De Puertos Asociados – Compas
Dimayor (División Mayor del Fútbol Colombiano)
Federación Colombiana De Fútbol (FCF)
Monómeros Colombo Venezolanos
Sociedad Portuaria Puerto Bahía
Sociedad Puerto Industrial Aguadulce (SPIA)
- Represented Sociedad Portuaria Puerto Bahía in legal disputes with insurance companies in relation to an EPC agreement for the construction of a liquid port terminal in Cartagena with Consorcio ITT.
- Represented Owen Londoño in a claim against Corficolombiana and Concecol for the damages caused due to its compulsory liquidation before the Superintendence of Companies.
- Represented Monomeros Colombo Venezolanos in international arbitration concerning alleged breach of contract.
Lloreda Camacho & Co.'s experienced practice covers the full range of contentious matters, with strong skill sets in commercial litigation and class actions. Acting in an array of industries, it is particularly well versed in TMT litigation and has niche expertise in pharmaceutical liability and medical malpractice. High-profile figure Gustavo Tamayo has expertise in insolvency proceedings and extensive experience acting before regulatory authorities; he heads a six-strong team strengthened, recently, with the incorporation of litigation director Dora Morales, who joined from Arrieta Mantilla & Asociados in August 2019. Senior associate Camilo Valenzuela is also a key member of the team.
Mccann Erickson (Colombia)
Eli Lilly Interamerica
Coca-Cola Servicios de Colombia
Unilever Andina (Colombia)
- Permanent advice to Comcel in a high profile, long-running claim against Empresa de Teléfonos de Bogotá, which has become a jurisdictional conflict after the Andean Community Court of Justice reversed the award obtained in a domestic arbitration.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in a class action where the claimants allege product unsafety.
- Represented Baxalta Colombia a dispute with in a health provider related to the payment of its debt.
Top tier public law and procurement firm Palacios Lleras fields four partners and 10 lawyers dedicated to dispute resolution. With expertise in the energy, infrastructure and natural resource sectors, the practice handles constitutional actions, class actions and nullity actions, among other complex litigation procedures. Renowned founding partner Hugo Palacios Mejía and Óscar Gutiérrez, with expertise in port matters, head the team. Pedro Pacheco is an expert in commercial matters and finance law, while Ángel Castañeda has expertise in electricity and gas regulation. However, Carolina Deik left in February 2020 to establish boutique Deik Acostamadiedo Abogados.
Drummond Coal Mining
Pernod Ricard Colombia
- Represented Drummond in a civil liability matter, which involves various state entities as defendants.
- Acting as lead counsel to a major insurance company in an action that seeks the annulment of Decree 2509 of 2015, which establishes a compensation system between insurance companies dedicated to insuring labour-related risks.
- Represented Fogafin -the public entity in charge of guaranteeing the stability of the financial system- in a proceeding initiated by one of the financial institutions it oversees, which seeks to annul one of Fogafín’s decrees regarding a premium to be paid by said financial institution.
Distinguished by its tailor-made approach, Parra Rodríguez Abogados handles cross-border litigation relating to contractual liability, commercial and administrative litigation, and consumer protection actions, as well as acting in competition matters. Founding partner Bernardo Rodríguez has experience across a wide range of sectors, including infrastructure, real estate and finance, alongside with niche expertise in the airline industry and maritime accidents; he co-leads the practice with fellow name partner and tax specialist Álvaro Parra, who acts particularly in the oil and gas, construction and energy sectors, and has extensive experience in tax proceedings against the authorities. Associates Carlos Gómez and Daniela Pérez are key members of the team.
‘This law firm is highly professional, serious and respectful. They have knowledge of Colombian legislation and are a great support for multinational and/or foreign corporations‘.
‘The professionals are bilingual and highly qualified. Bernardo Rodríguez, Daniela Pérez, Carlos Gómez and Luís Díaz del Castillo stand out‘.
‘Parra Rodriguez Abogados’ lawyers are distinguished by their skills and abilities, making use of the most advanced techniques and legal tools, which makes them one of the most recommended and competent firms in the country‘.
‘The lawyers of this prestigious firm are distinguished by their solidarity and affection with the client, their sense of humanity and solidarity added to their capacity and professionalism make them stand out from a large number of firms‘.
- Represented a property investment company in a direct reparation action against Colombian state entities, in what constitutes one of the largest lawsuits for actions tantamount to expropriation of property.
- Successfully represented a company that was sued for breach of contract for approximately $20m; the case also involved interests and judicial proceedings in the United States of America.
- Represented an oil and gas company in a civil collection proceeding.
Top tier urban planning and real estate firm Pinilla González & Prieto Abogados is particularly well versed in disputes related to real estate and construction. Acting for major companies in the sector, the department handles contentious matters in relation to public law, commercial law and criminal law –in cases related to the defence of private property and also fraud– and resolved through civil and commercial courts and arbitration. Managing partner Felipe Pinilla, a financial tax regulation specialist, and private law specialist Óscar Martínez co-head the nine-strong team. Founding partner Juan Manuel González, corporate co-head Camilo Andrés Hermida and fellow real estate co-head Ángela Caicedo also practice in the area. However, Camilo Baracaldo left to set his own practice in November 2019, as did associate Sebastián Jiménez in July 2020.
‘The PGP team in charge of the dispute resolution area is highly qualified, with high quality standards and customer service‘.
‘Juan Manuel González, Felipe Pinilla, Camilo Hermida, Óscar Martínez and Ángela Caicedo are strategists as well as good litigators‘.
‘We highlight Felipe Pinilla – his knowledge, experience, cunning and emotional intelligence.‘
‘Their experience, ethics and honesty in handling conflicts make them stand out. They differentiate themselves from their competitors by their dedication and commitment to their customers. Their qualities are the high degree of professionalism and self-control in the most difficult situations. Óscar Martínez and Sebastián Jiménez Orozco stand out‘.
Sebastián Caicedo y Carmen Villalobos
Zte Corporation (Colombia)
Diócesis de Zipaquirá
Desarrolladora de Zonas Francas
Banco Caja Social
Constructora de los Andes
- Advised Actual Constructora in a controversy concerning the clauses of an agreement; the parties are seeking to obtain mutual restitution.
- Represented Bogotá Zona Franca Business Group in regard to consumer protection before the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce, and also in judicial and extrajudicial negotiations with companies that have acquired real estate located in the Bogotá Free Zone.
- Represented Diócesis de Zipaquirá in an arbitration proceeding against a Colombian construction company seeking compensation for damages.
Sanclemente Fernández Abogados S.A.
Sanclemente Fernández Abogados S.A. has deep expertise representing local and international companies in a wide array of complex dispute resolution matters, particularly in the oil-and-gas and mining sectors, where practice head Claudia Rodríguez is the key name in the six-strong area; she has extensive expertise in procedural and environmental law and undertakes primarily administrative and constitutional litigation. Fellow co-head and senior partner Diana Sanclemente has expertise in mining and oil-and-gas regulation, in conjunction with public and contractual law. The firm also works beyond the scope of the extractive industries, representing pharmaceutical companies in particular.
- Represented a natural ressources exploration company in a popular action.
- Successfully represented a natural resources exploration company in a constitutional action.
Insurance boutique Tamayo Jaramillo & Asociados is experienced in representing insurers and companies in product liability and construction liability, medical malpractice and class actions arising from environmental contamination. The 14-strong practice, which is based in Medellín but has offices in Bogotá, fields four expert partners. Founding partner Javier Tamayo Jaramillo, a former judge of the Supreme Court of Justice with an extensive track record in insurance, co-heads the practice with Laura Restrepo and Carlos Andrés González, both specialising in risk analysis, liability and insurance law. Fellow practice co-head Ana Isabel Villa has niche expertise in medical law. The firm strengthened on several skill fronts with the incorporation of four new associates, most notably Daniel Jaramillo, a constitutional action specialist, and insurance and procedural law specialist Daniel Bedoya. However, Ana Catalina Restrepo left to join DAC Beachcroft Colombia.
‘Laura Restrepo and Ana Isabel Villa generate peace of mind to deliver our legal affairs since they deliver their service not only towards us as an insurer but also towards our clients, always seeking to avoid disputes; and when we are in a litigious environment they generate confidence about the steps to follow in our defense and that of our insured‘.
‘In-house lawyers, more than knowing that there is a firm’s backing them, are interested in knowing who will handle their matter. The rotation of lawyers in the firm is also evaluated. High turnover, which does not occur in this firm, generates loss of continuity in the knowledge of the matter. When making comparisons with other firms, the team is favoured due its knowledge, its resolution and its proximity’.
‘Laura Restrepo, Carlos Andrés González, Ana Isabel Villa generate closeness and trust, they are decisive and with full knowledge of matters‘.
Emgesa (Subsidiary of Multinational Company Enel)
Arquitectura & Concreto
Bienes & Bienes
Aeronáutica Civil de Colombia
- Defended Consortium HHA in a breach of contract case with SDV Energía e Infraestructura.
- Defended EPS Suramericana in a case concerning negligence in a medical diagnosis and the boundaries of the right to have a legal abortion.
- Defended Promigas in a class action suit brought by several plaintiffs claim compensation for the damages suffered because of the explosion of a pipeline located in Riohacha.
Ustáriz & Abogados Estudio Jurídico's 'technologically developed law' practice is heavily slanted towards the financial and insurance sectors handling commercial and administrative litigation and representing financial and insurance companies in proceedings promoted by financial consumers before the regulators. Under the leadership of Luís Humberto Ustáriz -who is highly experienced in derivatives, credit issues and wider capital markets related matters- the eight-strong practice roster of clients contains many of the most important fiduciary companies in the country. Fellow founding partner Jose Federico Ustáriz is primarily corporate and finance-focused, but also handles litigation matters. The firm also regularly represents clients in domestic arbitration procedures and has capability in ICC arbitration and NASD dispute resolution.
‘The firm is in charge of a good portfolio of civil litigation and consumer protection. It characterises itself by the opportunity and direct interest of the partners in the success of the processes; it is very likely that a founding partner will go to key audiences. In financial matters, Ustáriz & Abogados Estudio Jurídico is superior to its peers‘.
‘It is a highly professional, technologically developed law firm with a highly competitive spirit, excellent professionals and a cutting-edge infrastructure‘.
‘The have specific knowledge of financial consumer litigation and a global vision of the risks an entity faces. They are experts in the entire litigation field in the financial, insurance and capital markets environment. Luis Humberto Ustáriz shines for his handling of audiences and judges as well as his integrity in handling conflicts‘.
‘Both Luís Humberto Ustáriz and Federico Ustáriz have extensive experience and extensive knowledge of the financial issues involved in the litigation where they represent the interests of the trustee. Among their skills, I highlight their ability to specify the object of controversy and the different ways of approaching it, as well as being a benchmark in the field of disputes before the Financial Superintendency‘.
Fiduciaria de Occidente
Banco Agrario de Colombia
Consorcio Beta Oil – O&P Ingeniería S
Compañía Mundial de Seguros
Cardif Colombia Seguros Generales
Fiduciaria la Previsora
- Represented Fiduciaria de Occidente in a consumer protection action before the Superintendence of Finance brought by CI Carbones Suramericanos seeking damages.
- Represented Cardif Colombia Seguros Generales in an arbitration initiated by CHNV Asesores en Seguros due to an alleged the breach of the insurance agency contract.
- Represents Fiduciaria Bogotá (as the manager of Transatlántico Trust), as defendant before the an Administrative Court in Villavicencio (Meta) in a collective action.
Abril Gómez Mejía Abogados
Focused on investment and insolvency, Abril Gómez Mejía Abogados offers a diverse spread of dispute resolution relating to capital recovery actions via executive actions and criminal complaints, as well as also undertaking remedial advice and mediation. Recent mandates for the decade-old firm include primarily financial services litigation for trust companies and banks, as well as corporates. Luís Abril, specialising in corporate law and investment structuring (including in relation to tax), co-leads the team alongside litigator Diego Fernando Gómez. The now 12-strong firm was boosted with the incorporation of public procurement and registry law specialist Omar Mejía, as a name partner and co-head of disputes in December 2019.
‘They have a very high level of dedication and commitment to the client. They are prepared to understand the context of each situation and various alternatives are evaluated. The team has complementary capabilities and they operate with a cooperative philosophy‘.
‘Luís Abril is highlighted for his broad knowledge, dedication to understand clients’ businesses, personal closeness to the clients and 24/7 availability. Diego Gómez is noted for his preparation, commitment, diligence and accessibility’.
Grupo Empresarial Katama
Industrias Audiovisuales Colombianas
- Represented Capital Bank (Panama) in an executive action obtaining as a result a transactional agreement with the plaintiff company.
Cáez Muñoz Mejía Abogados (CMM) acts in national and multijurisdictional litigation as well as in domestic commercial arbitration in relation to an array of -particularly regulated- sectors, including telecommunications, insurance, finance, and construction. The five-strong team is lead by Guillermo Caéz, who handles contractual and corporate disputes, in addition to torts, administrative cases and antitrust matters. Associate Antony Palacios is strongly engaged in disputes work and the team also receives support from the firm's intellectual property and corporate practices – the latter, notably also includes a corporate crime sub-practice.
‘Guillermo Cáez stands out for his knowledge and permanent availability. He assumes cases personally and with his work team, they present and execute defence strategies that exceed the client’s expectations‘.
‘It is a full-service law firm made up of four partners and a total of 18 lawyers in the entire team. His specialties are M&A, dispute resolution, corporate criminal law, oil and gas, training law, tax, labour and real estate. It is an effective firm, in 2019 it managed to collect sums in excess of ten billion pesos in judicial and extrajudicial proceedings against contractors and insurance companies for breach of contract‘.
Colombia Telecomunicaciones (Telefónica)
SBA Torres Andinas
AVIS Colombia (Mareauto Colombia)
Santa Rita – Chile
- Represented Telefónica in a lawsuit against Seguros del Estado concerning an alleged breach of an insurance contract.
- Represented developer Spazio Premium in a dispute over a contract signed by Fiduciaria Corficolombiana, as trust of the real estate project, and lender bank Scotiabank Colpatria.
Castro Estudio Jurídico
Founded in 2016, Castro Estudio Jurídico focuses solely on contentious work, undertaking administrative, civil and commercial litigation, as well as commercial arbitration. The boutique specialises in the oil and gas sector, particularly in the gas-to-power segment, but also has niche experience in the education sector. Wilson Castro, a former judge with jurisdiction in civil, commercial and family matters, has also worked in private practice at recognised Colombian firms before establishing his three-strong boutique.
‘What makes the practice of Wilson Castro and his team unique is their high specialized knowledge of the rules of civil procedure and, in general, of the Colombian legal system. in addition, it is a responsible firm that is careful with the client’s interests‘.
‘We value the fact that they are interdisciplinary, since the operational fronts end up being comprehensive. Also, the firm has excellent allies.‘
‘Wilson Castro’s technical knowledge in administrative litigation and recursiveness to provide comprehensive support with allies‘.
‘It compares very well with other teams to the extent that, despite how small it is, they manage to adapt to the customer’s needs and be a permanent support, with an understanding of what can be urgent and what not‘.
‘I have known Wilson Castro for many years and he stands out for his ethical values, his commitment to working on behalf of his clients and, as mentioned before, his excellent knowledge and legal criteria, especially in procedural matters‘.
Federación Nacional de Personeros
Multidimensionales (Grupo Phoenix)
Tabasco Oil Company
Termo Mechero Aguazul
Universidad Autónoma de Bucaramanga
Universidad Tecnológica de Bolívar
Compañía Minera Colombo Americana
- Represented AES Chivor in a class action brought by inhabitants of the Upía river bank against the company.
- Represented Termo Mechero Aguazul in a Lawsuit against Ecopetrol for alleged abuse of dominant position.
J. Correa Abogados
The office of insurance shipping specialist John Correa, J. Correa Abogados has an international scope regarding transport and construction contract and tort liabilities. The three-strong boutique represents banks and financial institutions against third-party companies' liability claims, while also acting for local insurers and their clients in vessel transport accidents. The team has participated in several arbitration proceedings as co-counsels with London law firms before Lloyds salvage division in London. Relevant support comes from senior associate Andrés Felipe Ávila.
Compañía De Seguros Bolivar
Compañia de Seguros
Iglesia Palabra y Fuego
- Defended Consultora Colpatria in a lawsuit filed by Unirep tseeking payment of $3m allegedly owed on a service contract.
- Successfully represented Banco Colpatria in a second instance case against Liberty Seguros.
Garrido Fonseca Abogados
With over 35 years’ experience in the field, Garrido Fonseca Abogados is 'widely recognised’ in the Colombian legal sector, particularly for its deep involvement in high-profile class actions. More generally, the team handles the full array of energy sector contentious matters, notably including the technical, social, environmental, regulatory and contractual aspects. Experienced in civil and commercial litigation as well as arbitration, founding partner Juan Manuel Garrido co-heads the four-strong group in conjunction with Claudia Fonseca, who focuses on international contractual negotiations and energy sector arbitration with an emphasis on the hydrocarbons industry.
‘A very serious and professional team‘.
‘Juan Manuel Garrido is a professional with many years of experience and a great sense of responsibility‘.
‘It is a strong team due to the experience and knowledge of its leaders and associates. They are widely recognized in the Colombian legal sector. They are true competiton for other law firms with similar characteristics’.
‘Juan Manuel Garrido, who leads the team, is a lawyer with a long experience in civil, commercial and arbitration litigation. He is noted for his vast legal knowledge, discipline and research‘.
Asociación Colombiana de Petróleo
Oleoducto de los Llanos Orientales
Maurel & Prom
- Represented Petrobras Colombia, Chevron, Exxonmobil, Biomax, Terpel and Zeus -as fuel distributors- in a $2.2bn class action brought by Gainer Rafael Catalan against the Ministry of Mines and Energy.
- Represented Asocreto in a class action filed by Felix Antonio Campos Cruz against the Mayor’s Office of Bogotá, for the alleged violation of collective rights related to the Transmilenio project.
Clients highlight Goh -formerly Godoy Hoyos Abogados- commitment and honesty, as well as its experience and knowledge, when undertaking contentious matters. Best known for its expertise in tax law and foreign trade, the mid-sized firm is particularly active in the oil and gas, energy infrastructure and telecoms industry sectors, and has expanded it capabilities in commercial and administrative litigation and domestic arbitration, while retaining its relevance and engagement in competition and antitrust matters. Founding partner Catalina Hoyos (who acted as arbitrator in the high-profile CAC arbitration concerning Odebrecht), and Juan Sebastián Lombana, promoted to partnership in March 2019 and specialising in administrative and contractual law, lead the six strong team.
‘The Goh team is very committed to its clients: they always clarify all doubts, they attend to the recommendations of their clients, and above all, they have very high professional standards. One of the strengths is that they do not generate false expectations about the results of a litigation; they are very honest and transparent with what can happen throughout a dispute‘.
‘Juan Sebastián Lombana is a great lawyer, with experience and knowledge so extensive that he generates confidence in his representation of clients. One of his strongest points is that he is very transparent and honest about the possibilities of success in litigation. David López is a young lawyer but very capable and committed to the cases he handles‘.
‘It is a multidisciplinary team with the highest human and professional qualities that make the client feel they’re really dealing with a first-class group‘.
‘Juan Sebastián Lombana is an excellent lawyer with the ability to present effective and practical proposals that always lead to the best outcome. Jaime Moya is one of the most prominent lawyers in his area, which makes his support invaluable not only for its rigorous content but also for the reputation that precedes his name‘.
CENIT Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos
Concesionaria Desarrollo Vial Al Mar (Devimar)
Columbus Networks Colombia
Oleoducto de Colombia
Ingeniería y Tecnología de Servicios
- Represented CENIT Transportes y Logísticas de Hidrocarburos against a claim for alleged unilateral termination of a provision of services contract.
- Advised and represented Columbus Networks on the filling of a lawsuit against Empresas Municipales de Cali (EMCALI) to declare the existence of a verbal agreement on the provision of services.
Medina Muñoz & Abogados Asociados
Medina & Munoz Abogados is experienced primarily in disputes involving trusts and trust companies. The six-strong team undertakes civil and commercial litigation, administrative litigation and arbitration. Litigator and practice head Gabriel Medina handles cases across an array of industries, demonstrating particular strength in contentious finance matters. Fellow co-head Claudia Medina is an administrative law specialist whose practice centres on public procurement contractual disputes. The firm has also an insurance practice with contentious capability.
Centro Automotor Diesel – Centrosdiesel
- Represented Pinturas Prime as an investor in a dispute related to breach of a trust contract.
- Represented Fiduciacentral in a dispute concerning a breach of a trust contract.
Triana, Uribe & Michelsen
The medium-sized Triana, Uribe & Michelsen acts in litigation in relation to a wide range of IP matters including advertising law, copyright and industrial property, data protection and consumer protection. Led by Fernando Triana, who has extensive experience in general commercial litigation, and Sandra Ávila, who handles -among other matters- conflict resolution in regard to domain names, the practice fields an additional pair of experienced partners and five associates. Juan Carlos Uribe, whose areas of expertise include defence of trade marks, oppositions, patents and health registrations; and Sandra Méndez, who handles unfair competition, litigation and torts, are also key members of the team, which in addition also handles mediation and ADR.
Casa Editorial el Tiempo
Camacol – Cámara regional de la Construcción
- Represented Caracol Televisión in a copyright infringement lawsuit filed by a painter.
- Represented Dell in a nullity action against the partial cancellation of the company’s trade mark PRECISION in international class 9 filed by Precision Trading; the Council of State dismissed the claims and the client’s trade mark remained intact.
Competition boutique Valbuena Abogados has made nullity actions against administrative authorities’ decisions a pillar of its dispute resolution practice. Founding partner Gustavo Valbuena, a former Superintendent of Industry and Commerce, has extensive experience advising national and international companies in commercial, public and administrative law, particularly relating to competition and consumer matters. The five-strong team, which is most active in the telecommunications, pharmaceutical, energy and natural resources, logistics and infrastructure sectors, also includes senior associate Carol Sánchez. Associate Daniel Tovar is currently on secondment at GlaxoSmithKline, Colombia.
‘We have had the attention of Gustavo Valbuena, who is a knowledgeable professional as regards Colombian legislation, with extensive understanding of global economic situations, which makes him an ideal advisor to deepen business decisions based on the law and economic reality. They have excellent organisation and dedication to serving their clients‘.
‘The level of detail in their analyses and the sense of urgency in their responses makes a difference‘.
‘Daniel Tovar – attentive and detailed answers; he has an outstanding level of analysis‘.
‘Laura Huertas, Carol Sánchez and Gustavo Valbuena are highlighted.‘
Federación Colombiana de Fútbol
Frontera Energy Colombia Corp
Glaxosmithkline Consumer Healthcare Colombia
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Buenaventura
- Represented Comcel in a nullity lawsuit against an administrative decision that imposed a $3.3m fine for allegedly breaching consumer protection regulations in an advertising campaign.