'A boutique office that is dedicated to insurance and reinsurance', Acuña, Hoetz & Cifuentes houses lawyers with 'decades of proven experience'. The five-strong practice is well known for its involvement in several of the largest insured losses to have occurred in Chile, during both adjustment and settlement stages, as well as in subsequent judicial proceedings/arbitrations and complex subrogation actions. Senior partner Alejandro Acuña specialises in insurance, reinsurance, arbitration and litigation; co-head of the practice Felipe Hoetz also has longstanding insurance/reinsurance experience; while fellow name partner Luis Cifuentes worked in conjunction with Acuña during the representation of insurers Ace/Chubb in ongoing proceedings against La Polar, its directors and officers, which concerned the validity of a directors and officers (D&O) insurance policy. Young associate Whitney Silva joined from Legaxión in 2019.
Insurance in Chile
Alejandro Acuña; Felipe Hoetz
‘Our strategic partner for large cases in Chile.‘
‘A boutique office that is dedicated to insurance and reinsurance, and where the partners do the work (they do not delegate). They have decades of proven experience and their clients include the world’s largest insurers, reinsurers and brokers.‘
‘Its strengths are speed and extraordinary legal advice- this is why we seek their advice and intervention.‘
‘A team with a lot of seniority for complex cases.‘
‘The firm has lawyers with solid and proven experience in the industry, with the ability to face different scenarios with executive solutions.‘
‘The professional work of the partners, based on their solid experience in the insurance industry, as well as the different visions of each of them regarding the same industry, in addition to the proactivity in their management, make this a law firm for excellence.‘
‘They have been involved in practically all the major claims that have occurred in Chile and have no conflicts of interest.‘
‘Alejandro Acuña and Felipe Hoetz are excellent professionals, with a lot of experience and knowledge.‘
Zurich North America
USAIG (US Aviation Underwriters)
- Represented insurers including Ace/Chubb, Liberty and SURA in actions against Costanera Norte for losses affecting buildings in Santiago, which were flooded because of the diversion of the Mapocho River during construction works.
- Represented the insurers ACE/Chubb in proceedings initiated by the Chilean branch of Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, which sought additional compensation for flood-related damages (beyond those indemnified on the basis of the independent loss adjuster’s conclusion).
- Representing insurers Ace/Chubb in ongoing judicial proceedings against La Polar and its directors and officers, regarding the validity of a D&O insurance policy.
With 'deep sectoral knowledge and experience (especially in the insurance sector'), Carey fields a 10-member department (including three partners) that continuously advises large insurance companies and broker operations on complex, contentious and non-contentious insurance and reinsurance matters. The practice is led by three experienced co-heads: insurance M&A specialists Marcos Ríos (go-to counsel for Liberty US) and Pablo Iacobelli (go-to counsel for MetLife Chile and MetLife US), along with regulatory expert Matías Vergara. Vergara recently led advice to Klare Corredora de Seguros (a new insur-tech joint venture between Banco Santander-Chile and Zurich Insurance Mobile Solutions) on its incorporation and registration as a broker, marking the first Chilean startup broker registered with the CMF (which absorbed the banking regulator in 2019). Associate Jorge Soto is a former chief counsel of MAPFRE Group surety insurance-company, Solunion SGC.
Marcos Ríos; Pablo Iacobelli; Matías Vergara
‘Excellent technical and specialised knowledge of this area, especially in complex matters.‘
‘Very good integration of the team and good handling of clients- a relationship of great trust has been generated.‘
‘A firm that keeps the client updated.‘
‘Carey’s team is orderly and coherent in the information, analysis and content of its responses.‘
‘A team with great experience and availability.‘
‘Deep sectoral knowledge and experience, especially in the insurance sphere.‘
‘Excellent responsiveness and availability.‘
‘Its greatest quality is specialised technical knowledge, business vision in finding solutions that suit clients’ needs, and the generation of trust. I speak especially of Matías Vergara, but also of associate Jorge Soto.‘
Klare Corredora de Seguros
BNP Cardif Seguros de Vida
Solunion Chile Seguros de Crédito
Mapfre Compañía de Seguros de Vida Chile
Metlife Chile Seguros de Vida
Liberty Compañía de Seguros Generales
BUPA Compañía de Seguros de Vida
ANV Insurance Company
Porsche Volkswagen Servicios Financieros
- Advised DNB Bank Asa on the structure, negotiation and execution of an insurance and reinsurance programme for the refinancing of the Javiera Project and the construction and operation of the Sol del Desierto Project.
- Assisted Sugal Chile with insurance claims and subsequent arbitration against Seguros Suramericana, which concerned three insurance losses in 2019 caused by electrical power cuts at a Sugal factory.
- Advised Klare Corredora de Seguros (a new insurtech joint venture between Banco Santander Chile and Zurich Insurance Mobile Solutions) on its incorporation and registration as broker.
Estudio Carvallo's 19-strong department has a firmly established reputation for its advice to both domestic and overseas insurance players. The team is consistently sought out for its expertise in relation to insurance policies, agreements, coverage analysis and insurance-side defence (including headline casualty claims), as well as the development of affinity insurance products and the registration of insurance-related entities. A new area for the firm is corporate and regulatory insurance services, given the March-2020 incorporation of partner Francisco Bauer, who leads this work (after 20 years-plus in Seguros Generales Suramericana). Managing director Manuel Carvallo focuses on insurance law, litigation and class actions, and recently added the development of mass insurance-products as a specialism; Marcelo Simian is the firm's casualty division's head attorney; Francisca Román is an expert in civil and commercial litigation, subrogation recoveries, and property and surety insurance; and María Elena Rivera is the key Valparaíso office contact. However, noted associate Fernando Arancibia moved in house as a claims' specialist at Gallagher in September 2021.
Manuel Carvallo; Francisca Román; Marcelo Simian; María Elena Rivera; Francisco Bauer
‘Comprises a team of highly responsible lawyers with the necessary knowledge and skills to provide a quality legal defence.‘
‘Timely legal coverage throughout the country.‘
‘Deep knowledge in this area and always available to solve problems.‘
Clínica Las Condes
HDI Garantia y Crédito
HDI Seguros Generales
Liberty Seguros Generales
Chubb Seguros Generales
Southbridge Seguros Generales
Zurich Santander Seguros Generales
Consorcio Seguros Generales
Suramericana Seguros Generales
Cesce Chile Aseguradora
- Nominated as Clínica Las Condes’ main advisor in relation to all its insurance issues, including corporate assessment, policy design and coverage dispute resolution issues.
- Designated as in-house lawyers for all the corporate and insurance issues for both Seguros Suramericana and Seguros de Vida Suramericana.
- Advised Esmax on both insurance issues and the review of a time charter contract for the distribution of fuels by sea for salmon farming centres.
DAC Beachcroft Chile
The Chilean arm of London-headquartered DAC Beachcroft LLP, DAC Beachcroft Chile provides an extensive service to insurers and reinsurers across the Lloyd's, London, European and US markets, with particular strength in complex, high-value claims. Insurance, reinsurance, litigation and arbitration specialist Andrés Amunátegui heads the team; and fellow partner Guillermo Amunátegui assists with insurance-regulatory issues, as well as representing the market’s interests in the labour and civil courts. At associate level, reinsurance expert Nicolas Le Blanc assists the London market with claims control processes for property, casualty, cyber and financial institution-related risks; Javier Moya leads the litigation and arbitration team; Andrés Faraggi acts in casualty, D&O and property losses; María Jesús Pérez advises on new product line development; and Edmundo Agramunt is a former MAPFRE Chile legal head.
Chilena Consolidada (Zurich Chile)
AXA – XL
Tokio Marine Kiln
- Advised Beazley on a cyber-ransomware attack affecting the largest bank in Chile, which involved the insured’s systems and led to a shutdown of banking service platforms and business interruption for banking clients.
- Advised QBE on a loss involving a crane’s fall onto a vessel, resulting in the death of a worker of the insured, damage to the vessel and port facilities, and a breach of contract dispute.
- Represented Zurich London (alongside the firm’s London office), as the first level insurer of ENAP, in relation to a 2014 oil spillage that affected the seabed of central Chile’s Quintero Bay.
The Santiago insurance and reinsurance department of global legal practice Kennedys has significant experience in regulation and claims management/defence, along with policy wording, coverage and corporate insurance; and it is particularly experienced in mining, energy and finance sector-related matters. Department head Mario Diemoz acts as the local representative to several foreign reinsurers; Ricardo Peralta V has over 50 years' insurance industry experience; Gian Carlo Lorenzini leads on litigation; and José Antonio Gutiérrez is the current chair of the Chilean Association of Insurance Companies' Legal Committee for General Insurance. Also integral to the group are Radoslav Depolo, who assists with the creation of novel insurance products, and litigation head Gian Carlo Lorenzini. Daniel Silva (who re-joined from insurance company Sura in 2019) and regulatory specialist Pia Parmar are experienced senior associates.
‘José Antonio Gutiérrez’s advice is impeccable and he finds solutions.‘
‘Senior associate Daniel Silva delivers extraordinary legal work with commitment and responsiveness.‘
Chubb De Chile Compañía De Seguros Generales
Seguros Generales Suramericana
Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
Liberty Compañía De Seguros Generales
Divina Pastora Seguros de Vida
Rigel Seguros de Vida
BNP Paribas Cardif Seguros De Vida
BNP Paribas Cardif Seguros Generales
4 Life Seguros De Vida
Corredora de Seguros La Cámara
Corredora de Reaseguros La Cámara
- Instructed by the reinsurers to act for insurers in pre-litigation and ensuing arbitration, which related to a claim arising out of the theft of securities.
- Instructed by the reinsurers to act for insurers in pre-litigation and ensuing arbitration, which concerned a coverage dispute arising out of a massive flood in Santiago.
- Instructed by local insurers and reinsurance businesses to advise on various complex claims, arising from the October 2019 social protests.
Pumpin, Dorfman, Nasser, Diaz (PDND)
Approximately 70% of Pumpin, Dorfman, Nasser, Diaz (PDND)'s practice focuses on dispute resolution and litigation, with a significant proportion involving the insurance industry. The six-member team (including four partners) consistently acts for companies that provide damage, credit and life insurance policies, among others. In addition, it represents brokers and loss adjusters, and assists with relations between companies and the regulator, The Commission for the Financial Market (CMF). Overseeing the firm's practice are name partners: Marcelo Nasser ('stands out for his knowledge in insurance matters'), who advises both Continental Compañía de Seguros de Crédito and Continental Compañía de Seguros Generales on reinsurance issues; land and maritime transportation specialist Gabriel Pumpin; and Ignacio Díaz (commercial, transport, insurance and consumer protection law).
‘A small but very professional firm; its size gives it the flexibility to deliver speedy responses.‘
‘They work as a team with everyone supporting each other, and they provide very personalised assistance.‘
‘Great for cordial treatment, professionalism and high ethical standards.‘
‘Used to thinking outside the box and looking for creative solutions when necessary.‘
‘They know the insurance industry and its needs in depth – therefore they are able to deliver accurate solutions.‘
‘A firm that is easy to work with; they are clear in suggesting an action plan and explaining its consequences and pros and cons. They are also clear when suggesting not to continue with a certain plan if it does not suit the client; and look at the long-term relationship with the client, so fees are never an issue.‘
‘Marcelo Nasser knows the insurance market and its regulations in detail, and he knows how to give advice that may even go against his own interests. The proposals he formulates and what they imply are very clear, and he is extremely professional and meticulous.‘
‘Marcelo Nasser stands out for his knowledge in insurance matters and his participation in day-to-day matters involving the most relevant issues in the insurance industry.‘
Continental Cia de Seguros
Chilena Consolidada (Zurich Group)
Santiago Property Registrar’s Office
- Advises the Hites Group on insurance issues, property law and litigation.
- Advises both Continental Compañía de Seguros de Crédito and Continental Compañía de Seguros Generales on reinsurance issues, as well as relations with the Financial Market Commission, the country’s regulatory authority for the insurance industry.
- Advises both Chilena Consolidada on general insurance law and Chilena Consolidada Compañía de Seguros de Vida on a range of issues.
Spun off from Ríos Tagle Alessandri & Romero (now RTA Abogados) in 2018, RRG Abogados houses lawyers who are 'excellent in insurance matters'. The practice's expertise covers both insurance regulation and defending the interests of insurance companies and the insured before Chile's courts; another area of strength is the formation of new insurance and reinsurance companies. The practice is led by Roberto Ríos, an 'excellent lawyer for insurance work'; Stefanie Ramdohr ('always looking for the best strategy'), who is highly regarded for liability insurance claims and insurance arbitration; and Alonso Garcia, the leader of the labour liability insurance and medical-liability claims practice.
Roberto Ríos; Stefanie Ramdohr; Alonso García
‘RRG’s lawyers are excellent in insurance matters; they know the regulations in detail and are able to apply them to provide very good quality solutions for clients.‘
‘Although it is a small firm, that is precisely what guarantees the quality of the work; the partners always know what the firm is working on and know the insurance industry very well.‘
‘Able to understand our real needs and are always seeking efficient and effective solutions.‘
‘Punctuality, excellent response times and commitment.‘
‘Roberto Ríos can prepare legal reports that are widely accepted in the industry for their authority on the matter; and Stefanie Ramdohr is an excellent litigator, for whom no detail of a trial goes unnoticed – she is always looking for the best strategy to defend the interests of the company.‘
‘Alonso García, Stephanie Ramdohr and Roberto Ríos are a tremendous team – extremely professional, flexible to the needs of their clients, firm in their convictions and accurate in their answers; and there are never issues over fees since common sense and long-term views prevail. They really are strategic partners and behave as such.‘
‘Roberto Ríos is an excellent lawyer for insurance work with in-depth knowledge of the area, and tremendously respected within the industry – for us, he has been fundamental.‘
‘Stefanie Ramdohr is a very good lawyer who knows the insurance regulations very well and is always available.‘
Chilena Consolidada Seguros Generales
Reale Chile Seguros Generales
Liberty Compañía de Seguros Generales
HDI Compañía de Seguros Generales
Chubb Seguros Chile
Suaval Seguros de Garantía y Crédito
RTS International Loss Adjusters
Seguros Generales Suramericana (Sura)
- Acted for Liberty in a recovery action against Costanera Norte, Sacyr and the Chilean Treasury, which related to River Mapocho’s overflow into Santiago’s business district.
- Acted for Chubb Seguros Chile in labour liability claims that derived from work-related accidents.
- Assumed the legal defence of CGE in relation to a group of liability claims surrounding forest fires in 2016-2017.
Vergara, Fernández, Costa & Claro
Housing a multi-disciplinary team with broad experience in insurance law, Vergara, Fernández, Costa & Claro's practice is sought out by policy holders for the management of large and complex insurance claims, as well as ongoing advisory work on the development of insurance programmes. Regularly intervening in key negotiations between assureds and insurers, adjusters and other technical parties, the team stands out for its independence from insurers (providing advice exclusively to assureds). Gloria Claro leads the firm's insurance and liability areas, while fellow name partner Sergio Fernández is the partner in charge of the commercial group, as well as co-head of the insurance department. Notable support is provided by of counsel Manuel García de los Ríos, whose experience includes 25 years at Germany's Allianz Group; and -at associate level- experienced insurance-specialist Catherine Campbell and Andrés Schlack, whose recent experience includes insurance arbitration.
Gloria Claro; Sergio Fernández
Marina del Sol
Empresa Portuaria de Iquique
Viña San Rafael
Crown Plaza Hotel
- Advised Essal on the adjustment process of property, civil liability and D&O policies, following water supply interruption in Osorno.
- Advised Marina del Sol on the adjustment process following damages to the Marina del Sol Hotel and Casino in Talcahuano, which was caused by a waterspout.
- Assisted Colbún with the adjustment process concerning damages suffered by the Fénix hydroelectric plant in Perú.
Grasty Quintana Majlis & Cia.'s seven-strong group has longstanding insurance sector experience, ranging from the development of novel policies for individuals and companies, to representing companies in regulatory matters before the CMF, structuring complex transactions, and filing legal subrogation actions. Boosting its overall insurance offering, the firm formalised its association in January 2020 with London-headquartered global insurance specialist firm, Clyde & Co LLP. The key contacts are founding partner Alejandro Quintana and insurance litigation practice head Jorge Meneses, along with Juan Turner (insurance-related transactional and compliance issues), and senior associate Alejandro Quintana V (corporate law, insurance and arbitration).
Alejandro Quintana; Jorge Meneses; Juan Turner; Alejandro Quintana V.
‘Alejandro Quintana has experience in the insurance and marine sectors that dates back to the 1980s, and is a very well-regarded senior statesman who is also very well connected.‘
‘Alejandro Quintana V is a very ambitious and hardworking associate who greatly benefited from his secondment with Clyde & Co in London.‘
Orion Seguros Generales
- Ongoing counsel to Chilean insurance company Orion Seguros Generales in relation to different types of coverage claims presented against the company (primarily those involving air, land and maritime transportation insurance).
Molina Ríos Abogados
The 'strong' seven-member department at Molina Ríos Abogados consistently assists with risk analysis decisions - including during transactions, general insurance assessments, litigation and arbitration; typical work includes advising on the range of risks contained in policies, such as international credit, all-risk construction insurance, civil responsibility, guarantee insurance and life insurance. Founding partner Carlos Molina is experienced in complex insurance disputes, as is Felipe Correa, who was made partner in 2019; Molina is one of the Chilean representatives for Arias Latam (Latin American Center for Insurance and Reinsurance Mediation and Arbitration), which is actively developing dispute resolution mechanisms for insurance and reinsurance in the region.
‘They have a strong practice in credit and collateral insurance, large project insurance and arbitration – they are very good.‘
‘Excellent litigants, especially Carlos Molina and Felipe Correa.‘
Mapfre Life Insurance
Caja Reaseguradora de Chile
Emin Ingeniería y Construcción
Liberty Insurance Group
Grupo Rock Chile
- Advising, as one of its Chilean representatives, Arias Latam (Latin American Center for Insurance and Reinsurance Mediation and Arbitration), which is actively developing specific dispute resolution mechanisms for insurance and reinsurance in Latin America.
- Acted for Banco Santander Chile, ILC Investments and Armas Group in an arbitration against Cesce Insurance Company at the Arias Latam Arbitration Centre.
- Assisted Mapfre (further to the pandemic) with decisions regarding its insurance policies, including advising on the analysis of different coverage issues, as well as with the implementation of emergency corporate governance measures and ensuring compliance.
Prieto Abogados' team is well known for its expertise in insurance regulatory matters, in relation to the formation of new -or the acquisition of existing- insurance companies; it is also experienced in distribution agreements for insurance products, such as bancassurance agreements, mortgage related policies, cell-phone protection policies and extended-warranty policies. Patricio Prieto L's practice includes major insurance matters; while experienced partners Benjamin Grebe and Fernando Samaniego frequently act in insurance litigation involving construction, business interruption, insolvency and credit. The practice also fields three senior associates, including María Cristina Ríos Lianeza, who advises on insurance and reinsurance.
Patricio Prieto L
Assurant Chile Compañía de Seguros General
HDI Seguros General / HDI Seguros Generales de Vida
Chubb Seguros de Vida Chile
Compañía de Seguros Confuturo
Compañía de Seguros Vida Cámara
Assurant Services de Chile
Banchile Seguros de Vida
Seguros de Vida Suramericana
Southbridge Compañía de Seguros General
American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida
American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida
HDI Global Network / HDI Global
- Assisting Assurant Chile Compañía de Seguros Generales, on a daily basis, with all aspects of its operations in Chile, including drafting insurance policies, regulatory issues, compliance, and agreements with retailers, among other matters.
- Advised Inversiones HDI and HDI International on the sale of HDI Seguros de Vida to United Health Group subsidiary, Banmédica.
- Assisting American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida with its operations in Chile on a daily basis, including regulatory issues, compliance matters and reinsurance agreements.
Sandoval & Cía
Given its broad client portfolio of domestic insurers and international reinsurers, insurance and reinsurance is Sandoval y Cía's best-known practice. The four-member team predominantly acts for insurance companies on the adjustment of casualty, property and cargo claims. It also represents insurers in lawsuits involving coverage, losses, consumer law and other insurance matters. 'Great for strategy', name partner Luis Sandoval is experienced in property and casualty claims, including acting on behalf of insurers in arbitration and judicial proceedings; Sandoval also assists with local registrations of foreign reinsurers, and advising loss adjusters on coverage issues in energy and infrastructure claims.
‘Very attentive to answering questions and always available when required.‘
‘Excellent results – a team characterised by its professionalism and specialisation, in addition to the availability and direct contact we have with its lawyers.‘
‘Constant updating of the matters they work on.‘
‘Its strengths and skills are knowledge, experience, availability and response times.‘
‘Luis Sandoval has great experience in the market and resolves matters efficiently and quickly.‘
‘Luis Sandoval is a very prominent lawyer who transmits confidence. We are certain that when we assign him a case he will solve it in the best possible way.‘
‘Luis Sandoval is great for strategy.‘
Chubb Seguros Chile
HDI Seguros de Garantía y Crédito
Liberty Compañía de Seguros Generales
Southbridge Compañía de Seguros Generales
Orión Seguros Generales
Enel Generación Chile
Reale Chile Seguros Generales
Seguros Generales Suramericana
Orsan Seguros de Crédito y Garantía
Compañía de Seguros Generales Consorcio Nacional de Seguros
- Acted for HDI Seguros in subrogation actions against electricity company CGE, which related to large bush fires in the south of Chile.
- Acted for Orsan Seguros de Crédito y Garantía in an arbitration involving a surety insurance policy, which related to the construction of an airport.
- Assisted Partner Re with a fish farm claim that involved the escape of thousands of salmon from a fish farm.
Barros & Errázuriz houses an eight-member team that advises insurance companies on corporate matters, regulatory issues, and the incorporation and establishment of insurance companies, as well as corporate governance matters and stock ownership. Other features of the practice include compliance, administrative procedures and insurance-related litigation. Carlos Ducci heads the insurance department, which includes the firm’s regulatory expert on insurance matters, Javier Díaz. Sergio Eguiguren is additionally on hand at partner level, while Jorge Covarrubias and Albert Harsch are the insurance team's key associates.
Carlos Ducci; Javier Díaz
Mapfre Compañía de Seguros Generales de Chile
SAVE BCL Compañía de Seguros de Vida
Colmena Seguros de Vida
- Advised BTG Pactual Chile on the sale of life insurance company BTG Pactual Compañía de Seguros de Vida.
- Assisted Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and Banco Security (as lenders) with the financing of two projects managed by Opdenergy Generación and its subsidiaries Eólica La Estrella and AustrianSolar Chile Uno, which included reviewing the guarantee insurance policy.
- Assisted the lenders, including Natixis (New York Branch), Banco Santander and Deutsche Bank, with the financing of a project managed by EIG Global Energy Partners and its Chilean subsidiaries, which included advice on a construction all-risk insurance policy.
Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos is regularly sought out for its representation of large industrial and commercial clients during their claims against insurance companies, particularly in relation to policies covering construction, mining, commercial stores and distribution centres. The team's expertise ranges from loss adjustment procedures to negotiations and litigation with insurance companies. It also assists with reviewing insurance policies and insurance programmes, as well as the development of new business, drafting insurance distribution agreements, and insurance M&A. Litigation head Florencio Bernales is an insurance disputes expert; Tomás Vidal (a partner as of January 2020) advises on insurance policy-related negotiations; and associate Trinidad Torres assists with insurance policy-related lawsuits.
Florencio Bernales; Tomás Vidal
‘High levels of proactivity and involvement with the company’s internal teams.‘
‘Total clarity about who is leading the client relationship and the case; but at the same time they maintain a lot of co-ordination and advice between different areas and the people on the team.‘
‘Much more flexible and organised than other firms.‘
‘Impeccable technical quality with absolute clarity about what they intend to do and the different paths available, as well as the benefits, risks and costs.‘
‘Technical excellence with knowledge of the case in hand.‘
‘Availability to explain, update and resolve doubts.‘
Marsh (Corredores de Seguros)
Guy Carpenter (Corredores de Reaseguros)
Isapre Vida Tres
Campbell Global Timber Fund
Campbell Global Timber Partnership
Enel Distribución Chile
- Advised Banmédica (and its affiliate Banmédica Internacional) on the acquisition of all the shares of Chilean life insurance company, HDI Seguros de Vida, which included reviewing the insurance policy templates used by the company.
- Assisted Ripley Corp in relation to the social unrest that occurred in Chile in October 2019, including advising on the insurance coverage for damage suffered by several stores (either by fire or looting).
- Advised Banco Ripley, and its affiliate Corredora de Seguros Ripley, on several regulatory matters, arising from recent changes introduced in to the insurance sector.
Dentons Larrain Rencoret
Dentons Larrain Rencoret's four-member insurance and reinsurance practice is best known for claims involving the construction, energy, pharmaceuticals, retail and infrastructure sectors. The practice also represents foreign insurers and reinsurers (particularly from the London market) in claims involving physical damage, business interruption, general liability, D&Os and political risk. Marine and non-marine insurance and reinsurance specialist José Miguel López González, whose experience includes working as a loss adjuster and insurance broker, assists with the design of insurance programmes, adjustment of complex losses, and litigation.
José Miguel López
- Assisted Inmobiliaria Villarica with two claims under two guarantee policies, which related to a breach of a construction contract by a construction company.
- Assisted Intership with reviewing the protection and indemnity insurance policy for its recently inaugurated shipping operations in Chile.
Jorquiera & Rozas Abogados' four-member insurance and reinsurance practice has earned a significant reputation for its work on behalf of the London and worldwide reinsurance markets. The group's experience extends to the resolution of major litigation and arbitration, and is a regular correspondent for several P&I clubs. Founding partner Ricardo Rozas (marine and non-marine insurance and reinsurance) chairs the insurance, reinsurance and transport practice; and Max Morgan leads the transportation and insurance litigation department. Providing additional support is associate Stefano Perretta.
Ricardo Rozas; Max Morgan
‘The firm is highly specialised in shipping and insurance and employs leading experts in both fields. The lawyers also have previous work experience gained within the shipping and insurance industry which comes in extremely handy.‘
‘The firm reacts extremely quickly and is always conscious of the time pressures involved; [moreover,] it always seems at the leading edge of technology and functions very smoothly.‘
‘J&R’s partners Ricardo Rozas and Max Morgan are outstanding lawyers with deep knowledge and expertise in insurance and shipping law, they also have a large network of collaborators globally which today is more key than ever. Ricardo in particular has a profound understanding of the commercial world and is able to put the legal situation into context. He is able to summarize highly complex legal matters into plain and comprehensible English too, and always offers practical advice and direction. Max Morgan is relentless and does not declare a case as lost until the very last avenue has been explored. Very remarkable. I think it is no exaggeration to say that this firm is probably one of, if not the best, law firm I have worked with in my 25-year career in insurance and shipping and I am certain a good amount of people in the industry will say the same! ‘
‘Personally I feel J&R is a Mercedes at the cost of a Volkswagen. More than fair and the service is first class.‘
‘We’ve used the firm with regard to shipping and re/insurance. Ricardo Rozas is very experienced in both these areas. I consider him the “go-to” lawyer in Chile to service all our needs in that region. He also has a strong team of excellent lawyers working with him. We receive outstanding service at a fair price and they’re always available, 24/7.‘
‘I have personally known and have been working with Ricardo Rozas for at least 25 years. He has a unique understanding of the London and international markets, and is very well connected locally. Undoubtedly, my first choice (and recommendation to clients) in Chile is Ricardo Rozas.‘
North of England (NOE)
Japan P&I Club
Atlantic Insurance & Reinsurance Brokers
X L Global Services