Full-service legal powerhouse Carey houses a 12-strong environmental, indigenous and regulatory practice that consistently assists with environmental impact assessments (EIAs), as well as environmental sanctioning-proceedings for clients from a diverse range of industries, such as mining, energy, infrastructure, water utilities, aquaculture and agriculture. The firm has also developed a combined environmental litigation team alongside the dispute resolution group (co-led by partner Aldo Molinari) that handles complex administrative disputes and environmental litigation, including defence before the environmental courts. In addition to Molinari, the practice is co-led by Rafael Vergara, who has vast experience in regulatory and environmental evaluation processes, due diligence and audits; and Alberto Cardemil , head of the water and agribusiness practices. Providing strong senior associate-level support are Manuel José Barros and Julio Recordon (who 'gives complete advice on environmental issues'); both handle a range of environmental and indigenous law, territorial planning and project-related regulatory matters. Former practice director Felipe Meneses and senior associate Tomás Darricades to Lawgic Abogados and Moreno Sáez & Avilés, respectively, during the course of 2020.
Environment in Chile
Rafael Vergara; Alberto Cardemil; Aldo Molinari
‘Strong knowledge of environmental law as applied to the development and financing of renewable energy projects.‘
‘Good strategic advice on complex environmental matters.‘
‘Senior associate Julio Recordon is a key attorney in Carey’s environmental practice; he is a lawyer who gives complete advice on environmental issues, taking into consideration not only purely legal aspects but also strategic and practical matters, so as to achieve environmental approval for projects, as well as their financing.‘
Empresa Eléctrica Carén (Latin American Power Group)
Complejo Portuario Mejillones
Mainstream Renewable Power
- Advised Mainstream Renewable Power on the financing for the second phase of a wind and solar power generation platform in Chile, which included the environmental assessment of three wind farms.
- Assisted Astaldi, concessionaire for the Embalse Punilla project (tendered by the Chilean government to build an irrigation and hydropower generation dam), with a claim before the Third Environmental Court that the environmental permit was flawed.
- Defended Empresa Eléctrica Carén against an environmental damages claim filed before the Environmental Court.
The 'excellent' six-member department at FerradaNehme handles all aspects of environmental law work, focusing particularly on the development and permitting of complex projects. Typical activities include working alongside its clients’ government and community relations teams on environmental conflict avoidance; developing compliance programmes for environmental obligations; and environmental litigation and sanctioning procedures. The team has also developed a robust practice in relation to recently introduced recycling and extended producer-liability legislation. Heading the firm's environment and natural resources practice, Patricio Leyton specialises in the development of mining and energy projects, particularly matters involving permits and the environmental impact assessment (EIA) system; Valeria Ruz assists with permits and project development; and Carola Salamanca's experience includes four years at the Environmental National Commission's legal department. The strong second line of advisers includes senior associate Claudio Tapia, who rejoined in 2019 from the Superintendence of the Environment (where he prosecuted administrative sanctioning procedures); and active associate María-Pilar Dominguez.
‘They listen to the needs of their clients and seek solutions to problems; they are not pigeonholed in their own opinions, and are open to hearing other opinions and suggestions.‘
‘A lot of practical experience.‘
‘They are excellent.‘
‘Very friendly lawyers who are always available and precise in their suggestions and recommendations.‘
‘Precision, intellect, loyalty, efficiency, and friendliness!‘
‘Outstanding partners and associates.‘
‘Patricio Leyton is willing to listen and search until he finds a viable solution to the proposed problem.‘
Barrick Gold Corporation
European Southern Observatory
- Acted for Chilean mining company Andes Iron in litigation before the Environmental Court.
- Assisted Barrick with a complex sanctioning procedure.
- Defended Norte Abierto before the Environmental Court against an invalidity claim, filed by an indigenous community against the Caspiche mining project’s environmental qualification resolution.
Moreno Sáez & Avilés
‘Undoubtedly the best firm on the market for environmental matters‘, environmental legal boutique Moreno Sáez & Avilés houses a 15-strong team that advises major players from sectors such as mining, energy, forestry, oil and gas, and ports, along with infrastructure, fisheries, real estate, waste management and chemicals; environmental assessments, sanctioning procedures and litigation have all been strong areas of growth, recently. The principal figures are the ‘truly remarkable‘ Sebastián Avilés, natural resources and environmental law specialist José Adolfo Moreno, and Andrés Sáez (environmental, public and regulatory law), who all have Environmental Assessment Agency (EIA) experience. Key senior associate-level support is provided by Doris Sepúlveda Solar, whose practice includes the design of compliance programmes; Magdalena Prieto Pradenas (project development authorisations and administrative procedures); Paulina Rivera (a former associate at Carcelén, Desmadryl, Guzmán & Tapia); Luis Prieto (litigation and contentious administrative procedures); and former Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría associate, Gonzalo Ugarte. Movements in the senior associate pool includes the January 2021 hire of Daniela Luza from the EIA (following Máximo Nuñez ‘s June-2020 move in house) and the August 2021 arrival of Pablo Méndez (from Vergara Galindo Correa Abogados), as practice director, following Tomás Darricades‘ move to Claro & Cia. in July 2021.
Sebastián Avilés; Jose Adolfo Moreno; Andrés Sáez
‘Expert in environmental regulations and procedures.‘
‘The team stands out for providing a highly sophisticated service, with direct attention from the responsible partner, and with quality and speedy responses.‘
‘They differ from the rest of the market due to their knowledge of regulations, handling of the authorities’ criteria, level of commitment, and the strategy they contribute to each matter.‘
‘Clear and measurable policies on diversity and gender, in addition to having a very flexible approach in terms of billing, adapting to client needs.‘
‘Undoubtedly the best firm on the market for environmental matters.‘
‘Sebastián Avilés is truly remarkable in his analytical skills, knowledge and work, and he is always available.‘
‘Sebastián Avilés stands out in the market for his capacity for analytical criteria, experience in environmental law, creating value, always finding solutions to different problems, and for his level of commitment and energy.‘
‘Sebastián Avilés manages the relationship with the administrative authorities well, where he is received with wide respect and deference because of his career.‘
Andes Mining and Energy Corporate
Celulosa Arauco y Constitución
Compañía de Petróleos de Chile
Compañía Minera Doña Inés de Collahuasi
Los Andes Copper
Molibdenos y Metales
Sociedad Punta del Cobre
Empresa Portuaria Valparaíso
- Assisted Alto Maipo with judicial actions intended to stop construction.
- Acted for Puerto de Mejillones in a significant sanctioning procedure.
- Advised Empresa Portuaria de Valparaíso on permitting matters.
With one of the oldest environmental law departments in the Chilean legal market, full-service law firm Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría is consistently sought out for highly complex environmental projects and conflicts that attract substantive media coverage. Representative areas include local environmental procedures (such as project development permitting); environmental legal issues surrounding the development of politically complex projects; M&A and finance-related environmental matters; and administrative and environmental litigation. Heading the environmental and energy group in Chile, Juan José Eyzaguirre has longstanding experience in substantial environmental projects and conflicts. At principal associate level, Felipe Arévalo has over ten years’ experience in high-profile administrative and judicial environmental litigation, while Mario Mozó focuses on the environmental legal issues surrounding transactional and contentious matters. In May 2021, the firm blindsided the market when it merged with local firm Carcelén, Desmadryl, Guzmán & Tapia, which has substantial expertise in EIAs and sanctioning procedures. The merger added 32 lawyers to the firm’s overall bench, including partners Jerónimo Carcelén, a mining law expert, water law specialist Matías Desmadryl, and fishing and aquaculture law expert Mario Tapia, considerably expanding the practice’s capacities and expertise. Since publication, Arévalo has been raised to the partnership, effective January 2022.
Juan José Eyzaguirre
‘Mario Tapia is an excellent lawyer, with vast knowledge and experience – one can trust his advice.‘
‘Matías Desmadryl has great knowledge of water and environmental law, and of the technical issues associated with these matters.‘
Inmobiliaria Las Salinas
Sociedad Nacional de Oleoductos
Minera Salar Blanco
Kinross Gold Corporation
Bodegas San Francisco
Empresa Nacional del Petróleo (ENAP)
Empresa de Transporte de Pasajero Metro
Empresa Eléctrica de Magallanes
Samsung C&T Corporation
- Advised Inmobiliaria Las Salinas on the EIA for a remediation project in the Valparaíso region.
- Assisted Minera Salar Blanco with the preparation and processing of the Environmental Impact Study for its lithium project, as well as defending a challenge to the project’s environmental authorisation.
- Led the defence of ENAP in an environmental damage claim filed by the Municipality of Quintero against its subsidiary ENAP Refinerías, which concerned a hydrocarbons spill in the Quintero bay area.
'The best around for environmental and regulatory matters', Vergara Galindo Correa Abogados' sizeable 45-strong department consistently assists with projects-related environmental assessments (along with the required authorisations for the development, construction and operation of such projects), and compliance work and litigation; notable sector expertise ranges from mining, agribusiness and sanitation to cement, energy, and forestry. The firm fields several highly regarded partners (many of whom can boast earlier public sector careers), including: Mario Galindo, whose experience includes ten years litigating for the National Environment Commission (Conama); Javier Vergara (former Conama legal counsel to the Technical Secretary); and Eduardo Correa (former legal chief at Conama's Metropolitan Region office). Also integral to the group are active partners José Luis Fuenzalida (a 'standout adviser'), Cecilia Urbina, Pablo Ortíz and Winston Alburquenque. Notable associate support comes from seniors Francisca Olivares (environmental approvals and permitting), and environmental legislation specialist Paula Gajardo (project approval strategies and indigenous negotiations). Former senior Pablo Méndez moved to Moreno Sáez & Avilés in August 2021.
Mario Galindo; Javier Vergara; Cecilia Urbina; Eduardo Correa; José Luis Fuenzalida; Winston Albuquerque; Pablo Ortiz
‘Always up-to-date on environmental regulations and relevant rulings, which allows us to trust their recommendations and solutions proposed.‘
‘They propose strategies on how to approach the authorities. They are also very careful and respectful of relationships with the authorities, so as not to damage the reputation of their client or the firm.‘
‘Very good relationships with all the client’s stakeholders.‘
‘VGC’s attorneys are very creative advisers.‘
‘They know this sector very well and are constantly present, accompanying their clients during strategic decision-making processes.‘
‘The best around for environmental and regulatory matters.‘
‘In addition to his solid knowledge and experience, José Luis Fuenzalida is personally committed to his clients.‘
‘José Luis Fuenzalida is a standout adviser.‘
With 'detailed knowledge of public sector procedures', Barros & Errázuriz's nine-member environmental team provides full-service assistance to clients on projects, including planning, operation and closure, due diligence, project finance, environmental assessments and permitting issues, along with social conflicts and community negotiations; the firm also fields experts in local authority relations, compliance, litigation before the environmental and ordinary courts (including Supreme Court), and enforcement proceedings. 'Very active' counsel Matias Montoya (a former head of legal of the Environmental Assessment Agency) heads the environmental practice, working closely with energy-industry specialist Fernando Garrido, who leads the firm's regulated sectors department. Further support is provided at associate level by dedicated environmental law senior, Mara Angelini.
‘Detailed knowledge of public sector procedures and the people in charge.’
‘The lawyers here work very well together, as well as with third parties.’
‘Focused on clients with a very personalised service.‘
‘Great sector knowledge and experience, with good support from other practice areas of the firm.‘
‘Timely communications and fully available.‘
‘Counsel Matias Montoya is very active and stays on top of the detail.‘
‘Matias Montoya is experienced; he immediately distinguishes what is important in each case, with exceptional relationships and communications with clients.‘
‘Matias Montoya understands the public apparatus, the criteria and the people who make the decisions at the environmental authorities.‘
Interacid Trading (Chile)
Calidra Chile Importaciones Minerales
Compass Group Chile
Compañía Puerto de Coronel
- Advised Interchile on an enforcement proceeding before the Environmental Superintendence.
- Assisted Colbún with an enforcement proceeding before the Environmental Superintendence.
- Acted for Agrícola Coexca in a constitutional protection claim that was filed by the National Human Rights Institute.
The five-member department at Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos is well known for its environmental law advice on the development of industrial and telecoms facilities. Recent work includes assisting with environmental assessment requirements, defending environmental permits and environmental damage claims, along with transactional due diligence and regulatory matters. The practice is co-lead by Martín Astorga, who specialises in natural resources, water law, atmospheric emissions, EIA matters and territorial planning; and energy, environmental and regulatory expert Gonzalo Jiménez, who also leads the firm's regulatory law practice. Key associate assistance comes from senior, Verónica Cuadra.
Martín Astorga; Gonzalo Jiménez
‘Its experience in environmental issues is very evident.‘
‘Excellent criteria when defining courses of action before the authorities.‘
‘Without a doubt, lawyers with a significant level of specialisation and knowledge of multiple complementary subjects.‘
‘Great experience and preparation.‘
‘The availability and attention received from Martín Astorga stands out.‘
Junta de Vigilancia de la Primera Sección del Río Aconcagua
B Braun Medical
- Assisted IANSA with the request for an environmental evaluation of a plant in Chillán, which was issued by the Superintendence of the Environment.
- Advised Enel on the end of the useful life of its power plants (within the framework of the EIA system).
- Assisted ATCO Chile with the due diligence on a 60MW hydropower plant in the O’Higgins Region, which was part of the purchase of special purpose vehicle, Hidroeléctrica El Paso.
Cubillos Evans Abogados
Fielding a 'group of committed lawyers', Cubillos Evans Abogados' ten-strong practice is well known in the market for its longstanding experience in the regulatory and environmental issues surrounding major projects, including providing strategic advice on how to interact with local communities to prevent environmental and social conflicts. The practice is co-headed by Fernando Molina, who has extensive experience in environmental, regulatory and energy matters; and name partner Gonzalo Cubillos, who advises companies and public agencies on a range of issues, including energy and environmental law. Clients also benefit from a strong pool of associates, including seniors Esteban Cañas Ortega and Angeles Mas, and intermediate Carla Valenzuela.
Fernando Molina; Gonzalo Cubillos
‘A group of committed lawyers.‘
‘Good analysis of matters from a good team.‘
‘Really understands its clients.‘
‘Good follow-up on matters with good internal organisation and timely communication with clients.‘
‘The decisions they make are well studied and take into account the various scenarios.‘
‘The professional treatment from the lawyers is characteristic of this firm.‘
‘Agility in their communications and responses.‘
Metro de Santiago
Codelco – División Chuquicamata
Armony – Reciclajes Industriales
Inmobiliaria La Reserva
- Assisted CAP with reviewing the environmental impact statement for Planta Magnetita, a magnetite iron ore plant in Copiapó.
- Advised Metro de Santiago on the EIA approval for a rapid transit network line in Santiago.
- Advised Colbún on the revision and drafting of an environmental impact assessment for the Horizonte wind park.
Dedicated environmental law boutique Eelaw fields a 'top-notch' 15-strong department that consistently assists with project-related EIAs and permits; and defends environmental and sectoral sanctioning proceedings. It is also experienced in: litigating before the environmental courts, Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court; Chile's environmental and sectorial compliance frameworks; mining operation closures; and the chemicals and waste management sectors' regulatory framework. With over 20 years' environmental law experience, 'great lawyer' Paulina Riquelme heads the practice, which includes senior associate Astrid Francke (investment projects' environmental impact judicial strategies); and associate Jorge Brower (mining-related environmental issues). Associate Michelle Taylor was hired in September 2020 from the Environmental Prosecutor's Office, while former senior associates Sebastián Rebolledo and Carolina Häberle left the firm in late 2020 and January 2021, respectively.
‘I think this team is the best in Chile when it comes to environmental issues.‘
‘Has a deep understanding of the environmental and sectoral compliance frameworks to which a regulated community is subject, as well as the eventual consequences associated with their breach.‘
‘A great team that keeps us up to date with all the relevant advances in environmental legal matters that concern us.‘
‘Several lawyers with extensive knowledge, but they also each have their own expertise – this is quite unique, and therefore the service is top notch.‘
‘Broad knowledge of environmental legislation, with a lot of practical experience in advising on the processing of environmental permits.‘
‘Maintain very good and mutual respectful relationships with trade associations, as well as the country’s environmental and sectoral authorities.‘
‘Paulina Riquelme is a great lawyer and very recognised in the field.‘
‘Paulina Riquelme is a great leader who manages her team in a great way – always timely, very involved in the issues asked of her, assertive and very intelligent – she knows what she is talking about and this transmits great confidence.‘
Sociedad Nacional de Minería
Haldeman Mining Company
Cerro Negro Mining Company
Compañía Minera del Pacífico
Asociación de Generadoras de Chile
Marimaca Copper Corp
Minera Tres Valles
Confederación de Producción y Comercio
Continental Compañía de Seguros
Minera Las Cenizas
Puerto La Lozas
- Ongoing advice to Sonami associates (small, medium and large-scale mining companies) on different environmental matters, such as mining explorations, water resources, communities and environmental regulations.
- Provides ongoing advice to Compañía Minera del Pacífico, in relation to environmental regulations compliance and the appropriate environmental project management for its mining sites.
- Assists Mitsubishi with environmental law issues.
With 'expertise in various environmental issues', Guerrero Olivos houses a 13-strong department that is active in environmental work, including specialisms in litigation, regulatory compliance, wetlands, waste, and the environmental aspects of M&A, financing and project development; it also has a strong track record in obtaining environmental approvals. The principal figures are Clemente Pérez, whose practice incorporates regulatory issues, environmental litigation and transaction-related environmental matters, as well as the environmental implications of real estate and energy projects; Martín Santa María, who specialises in projects-related environmental assessments, environmental litigation and urban planning; and Sebastián Abogabir - environmental assessments and project finance-related environmental issues. Also integral to the practice are water law specialist Benjamín Pérez (raised to the partnership as of January 2020), along with experienced senior associates Francisca Pellegrini and Felipe Frühling.
Clemente Pérez; Martín Santa María; Sebastián Abogabir
‘A multidisciplinary team with expertise in various environmental issues.‘
‘Ability to provide adequate responses to any technical requirement.‘
‘Culture of rigorous and close teamwork.‘
‘Ability to understand the activities of the client company and anticipate possible problems, which helps towards finding effective answers to potential environmental scenarios.‘
Natixis (New York branch)
Texas Pacific Group
Antofagasta Minerals Group
Fundación San Carlos de Maipo
- Successfully represented P&G Larraín in an environmental law-related challenge surrounding the development of a real estate project.
- Working alongside environmental consultancy Sustentable in relation to the environmental aspects of a new line of the Chilean public railway system.
- Advised Fundación San Carlos de Maipo/Humedal de Batuco on an environmental protection/education project.
Natural resources and environmental law boutique, Lawgic Abogados, was launched in January 2020 by environmental, indigenous and regulatory law specialist Felipe Meneses, who heads the environmental group; along with Sebastian Del Campo and Agustín Walker, who co-head the water-rights law practice. Meneses is a former director of the environmental team at Carey, where Del Campo was senior associate, while Walker previously worked at Núñez Muñoz Abogados (NMA) as of counsel. The practice was also joined by senior of counsels Andrés Verdugo (another NMA arrival) and Cristian Franz (previously at the Superintendence of the Environment), along with senior associate and environmental law specialist Constanza Pelayo (a March 2020 arrival, also from Carey), and mid-level associate Rodrigo Quezada, who was recruited from Cubillos Evans Abogados in January 2021. The highly specialised team's client portfolio comprises companies from the mining, energy, industry, aquaculture, agri-business, tourism, and real estate sectors.
Felipe Meneses; Sebastian Del Campo; Agustín Walker
‘What makes this firm very special is its technical/legal knowledge in environmental and water matters, in addition to the understanding of the client’s business.‘
‘The availability of the partners and the trust they inspire are very positive.‘
‘Delivers excellent quality of service and is dedicated to the client – this differentiates it from other firms.‘
‘A diverse team – all of great quality.‘
‘The team is excellent for knowledge, client service and accessibility; it is also very up to date.‘
‘Communication is very fluid.‘
‘Sebastian Del Campo is dedicated and delivers the work – great for water issues, and he is very up to date on any news involving water resources in Chile. He is an excellent adviser.‘
‘Felipe Meneses and Agustín Walker provide excellent advice on environmental issues.‘
Distributed Power Partners
Renewable Energy Group
Latin America Power
Comité Mantagua 12010
Hotel Le Reve
- Acted major seafood company Mowi in several matters, including as claimant against the Superintendence of the Environment, which involved a request that the Environmental courts declare a fine null and void.
- Assists major environmental consultancy, SGA, on various matters, including environmental impact studies and declarations, feasibility environmental evaluations, territorial planning and permits.
- Assisting Canadian power development company Distributed Power Partners, with the strategic legal planning for selecting project locations, including varying environmental issues.
With 'unique knowledge in environmental matters', Schultz Carrasco Benitez Abogados' nine-member practice comprises several members with previous experience at key environmental agencies, such as the Chilean Environmental Assessment Agency and the Ministry of the Environment; and the group was recently active in environmental litigation, environmental assessments and project-related issues. The experienced co-heads are Edesio Carrasco ('one of the most recognised environmental lawyers in Chile'), who focuses on environment and sectorial permits, energy, land use planning, and the development of industrial projects; and investment project environmental assessment expert Rodrigo Benítez. The second line of attorneys comprises senior associates Carlo Sepúlveda and Graciela Venegas, both former Environmental Assessment Agency attorneys, and Ingrid Henríquez, a former legal division head at the Ministry of the Environment.
Edesio Carrasco; Rodrigo Benítez
‘Unique knowledge in environmental matters associated with the development of renewable energy projects.‘
‘The team is very solid – both the partners and the junior lawyers handle environmental issues very well. They are very professional and with great judgement.‘
‘The skills of the team include excellent knowledge of the public administration.‘
‘What differentiates them is their past experience and knowledge of the public sector, which is crucial for private projects that depend on the interpretation and application of environmental regulations.’
‘Great knowledge of environmental legislation and how to comply with it, and a lot of experience in various projects, which is a plus when giving an opinion on a specific problem.‘
‘Edesio Carrasco is one of the most recognised environmental lawyers in Chile; his practical experience and technical knowledge allow him to provide not only legal, but also strategic, assistance with the environmental approval of projects and environmental permits.‘
‘Edesio Carrasco is a great partner who knows a lot and works well in a team. He understands the problems that come up and the way of thinking of authorities and communities.‘
‘Rodrigo Benítez is very committed to clients, which can be seen from his advice and solutions.‘
Sierra Gorda SCM
Mainstream Renewable Power Chile
Empresa de Transporte de Pasajeros Metro
Compañía Minera del Pacífico
Inversiones y Asesorías HyC
Empresa Nacional de Minería
Corporación Nacional del Cobre
- Acted (before the Environmental Court) for Mainstream Renewable Power Chile in its defence of the environmental licence for its wind energy project, Puelche Sur.
- Represented Inmobiliaria Fundamenta in the administrative defence of the environmental licence for its real estate project, Egaña Comunidad Sustentable.
- Advised Inversiones y Asesorías HyC on the environmental assessment of its real estate project, Desarrollo Inmobiliario Batuco Etapa I, which involved 1,637 housing units.
Baker McKenzie Chile
Baker McKenzie Chile's environmental law practice is able to leverage off the Santiago office's widely recognised mining industry expertise; clients also benefit from the firm's large global and Latin America environment practices, which facilitate a co-ordinated approach to cross-border environmental matters. Typical work includes assessments on environmental regulations compliance; adapting clients' business activities to environmental law requirements in varying regions of Chile; and obtaining permits. With significant international experience in mining, energy and environmental matters, Mirco Hilgers leads the three-member group, which includes associates Santiago Vial and Rosario Preuss.
Suez Water Technology and Solutions
- Assists Santiago Agrisupply with environmental compliance matters.
- Assists Suez Water Technology and Solutions with obtaining several environmental permits and authorisations (required for its industrial importations of hazardous substances).
- Advises Weir Minerals on its operations, which require extensive environmental law support.
Barros Silva Varela & Vigil's environmental law department incorporated partner Felipe Riesco (former Undersecretary of the Ministry of Environment, as well as former director of the Environmental Assessment Agency of the Araucanía Region) in April 2020; and the practice was further boosted by the hire of environmental all-rounder Claudia Ferreiro from Correa Squella in May 2021. A Chilean regulatory and environmental regulations specialist, Riesco, is in charge of the firm's environmental and public law practices. The department's expertise ranges from environmental permits and assessments to compliance and punitive procedures and litigation. Also key to the group is regulatory group director Carolina Matthei.
‘Claudia Ferreiro has vast experience and knowledge of this area, derived from longstanding experience, both in state bodies and private practice.‘
- Assisted Inmobiliaria Ingevec with obtaining a favourable environmental qualification for a large building in Santiago.
- Assisted Allibera Solar with the environmental issues surrounding the development of several of its photovoltaic projects.
- Assists Atacama Energy with various legal areas, including the compliance of its projects with environmental regulations.
Full-service law firm Claro & Cia. fields an eight-strong team that advises on complex energy and mining projects (among others) from the environmental perspective, including the application of environmental legal requirements, and liaising with environmental auditing firms during environmental assessment studies; the practice also regularly acts in cases involving the environmental courts and Environmental Superintendence. Heading the firm’s natural resources group, Nicolás Eyzaguirre has a broad practice encompassing mining, energy and natural resources and environmental law, along with litigation, M&A and regulatory matters. Key support comes from experienced senior Joaquín Rodríguez who works across energy and natural resources, environment and M&A matters, particularly in a transactional context. The team was significantly strengthened with the July 2021 incorporation of an additional senior, Tomás Darricades, formerly at Moreno Sáez & Avilés. Since publication, Rodríguez has been promoted to the partnership, effective January 2022.
‘Excellent work and business vision.‘
‘Nicolás Eyzaguirre knows all the details of each procedure perfectly and guides us in a fabulous way.‘
Anglo American Sur
State Grid International Development
Cristalerías de Chile
Viña Santa Rita
Lesaffre Industrial Chile
- Acted for Anglo American Sur in an environmental damage claim, which was filed by the Republic of Chile before the Chilean Environmental Court.
- Defended Anglo American Sur against a claim filed by citizens, which requested the review of an environmental assessment resolution.
- Defended Prime Energía (the Chilean subsidiary of the Glenfarne Group) against an administrative invalidation request filed against a power-plant project’s environmental authorisation.
Echeverría Ilharreborde Scagliotti
'One of the best teams around for environmental law', Echeverría Ilharreborde Scagliotti is strongly focused on the energy, mining, and industrial sectors; and -in addition to the group's notable corporate law background- houses a contentious capability that facilitates a substantial focus on sanctioning procedures and litigation. The practice is co-led by Jose Domingo Ilharreborde (environmental assessments and environmental and administrative litigation); and environmental and regulatory defence specialist José Pedro Scagliotti, who was recently made a name partner. Ilharreborde and Scagliotti are both former associates of Claro & Cia., where senior associate Felipe Infante (who joined the firm in July 2020 to strengthen the environmental practice further) also worked prior to a stint at White & Case LLP's New York office.
José Domingo Ilharreborde; José Pedro Scagliotti
‘Extensive knowledge, from a technical point of view, on environmental issues.‘
‘Great knowledge of what happens in practice, something that is essential for this area.‘
‘Great ability to handle complex situations.‘
‘Technical knowledge of the highest level, with the ability to explain complex matters in simple terms and then put it into practice.‘
‘Excellent relationships with the client’s in-house lawyers.‘
‘Very orderly in their billing process and 100% recommended because of the great work they do.‘
‘One of the best teams around for environmental law. They know a great deal about the applicable legislation and they solve problems very well – highly respected by their counterparts.‘
‘José Domingo Ilharreborde is highly rated for his handling and knowledge of issues, as well as his leadership and ability to solve complex situations.‘
Empresa Nacional del Petróleo (ENAP)
Anglo American Sur AES Gener
Atlas Renewable Energy
- Assisted ENAP with its defence of a sanctioning procedure before the Environmental Superintendence and the Environmental courts, which related to claims based on the intoxication of people through unidentified air pollutants.
- Defended Aqua Chile against three different judicial actions, including one before the Third Environmental Court, and two constitutional actions filed before the Court of Appeal of Temuco.
- Defended DP World against a sanctioning procedure initiated by the Environmental Superintendence in relation to breaches to an environmental permit for a port, as well as environmental damage to soil and water.
'Delivering a top-quality service', Lavin Abogados & Consultores houses seven specialised attorneys in: EIAs for large-scale projects; environmental permits; defending audit and sanctioning procedures and environmental damage claims; and environmental compliance programmes. The firm's diverse sector expertise ranges from maritime, electricity, sanitary services and mining to agribusiness, cellulose, and paper and forestry. The key figures are founding partner Julio Lavín, who leads the natural resources department; Andrés Del Favero, (infrastructure projects involving mining and maritime concessions); and Roberto Sepúlveda, who heads the renewable energy and power sector side). Javiera Catalán and Carlos Guerrero are experienced senior associates, while junior associate Arturo Lavín 'shows remarkable commitment to projects'.
Julio Lavín; Andrés Del Favero; Roberto Sepulveda
‘The team delivers a top-quality service, with outstanding professionalism and availability.‘
‘Commits to projects in a much more active and profound way than is expected of any adviser, assuming the challenges of each job as their own.‘
‘In addition to its economic success, the firm considers the benefits to neighbouring indigenous communities, even when it is not a legal obligation.‘
‘Their advice has been indispensable for obtaining approval of the project during the environmental evaluation process.‘
‘Extraordinary relationship skills with the members of the client company, as well as all other players, who were directly or indirectly involved in the development of the project.‘
‘Andrés Del Favero commits himself 100% to the development of a project, and with a great sense of responsibility.‘
‘Andrés Del Favero’s work is fast and of excellent quality, demonstrating at all times his great knowledge about project development and the operation of the client company, as well as the specific environmental legislation and the processing of environmental assessment processes.‘
‘Junior associate Arturo Lavín, despite his young age, shows remarkable commitment to projects, as well as knowledge of environmental and natural resource regulations; he uses logic and common sense at all times and with great professionalism.‘
Empresa de Servicios Sanitarios de Los Lagos (ESSAL)
Aguas de Antofagasta
Viña Concha y Toro
Copiaport-E Operaciones Marítimas
- Assisting Aguas Andinas (on an ongoing basis) with several environmental issues, including the incorporation of rainwater into the sewage systems and environmental conflicts.
- Assisted RR Wine with a sanctioning process, which involved the presentation of a compliance programme before the Environmental Authority, which led to the suspension of a sanctioning procedure.
- Advised Golden Sun on the preparation and processing of an environmental impact statement.
Morales & Besa‘s ‘young team is highly experienced in environmental matters‘. It provides specialised advice on environmental assessments; sanctioning processes and environmental litigation; urban, water and mining law matters; and public contracts. The environmental group also supports the firm’s work on major transactions, such as projects, M&A, and banking and finance. With over 16 years’ experience in environmental matters, team leader Paloma Infante (promoted to director in July 2020) is a former Environment Ministry legal division head; associate support is provided by seniors Giancarlo Camillieri (who re-joined in July 2020) and Katannya Jablonski, along with Josefina Derpich (May 2020 hire) and Francisca Bannura. Since publication, the group has been further strengthened with the hire of Aldo Cardinali (from Infante Valenzuela Molina Abogados) as a partner of the energy and natural resources, environmental and project finance practices - effective as of Janaury 2022.
‘Morales & Besa’s lawyers have a very competent team that is easy to relate to, always ready to support my organisation, and always available.‘
‘The distinctive features of this firm’s lawyers are their level of competence in environmental matters and dedication to us.‘
‘The young team is highly experienced in environmental matters, and has very competitive fees and great service – very reliable.‘
‘Besides the great knowledge and experience of environmental matters, the team has a very strategic approach.‘
‘A very specialised team with great judgement and knowledge of the energy and environmental sectors.‘
‘They address all aspects of project development with great knowledge of related disciplines (environmental, contracts, corporate, energy, financing).‘
‘Very in-depth and thorough knowledge of regulatory issues, particularly director Paloma Infante, who pays extraordinary attention to detail – the quality of her analyses are exceptional.‘
‘Paloma Infante shows solid and comprehensive knowledge of environmental issues and project development.‘
Coordinador Eléctrico Nacional
Atlas Renewable Energy
Inmobiliaria Agua Fría
Sociedad Concesionaria Nuevo Pudahuel
Los Guindos Generación
Ruta del Loa Concessionaire
Inter-American Development Bank
EIG Cerro Dominador
Celeo Redes Operación Chile
Alto Jahuel Transmisora de Energía
Republic of Chile
Corporación Robles de Cantillana
Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura (CIFI)
- Assisted (from an environmental and regulatory perspective) Coordinador Eléctrico Nacional with reviewing the tender terms and conditions (and ancillary documents) for the tender of the national transmission system’s 2018 and 2020 expansion plans.
- Acted for Celeo Redes in a sanctioning process carried out by the Superintendency of the Environment, in relation to the environmental performance of a substation that was owned by a third party.
- Provided environmental advice to a syndicate of lenders (IDB Invest, KfW IPEX-Bank, DNB, CaixaBank and MUF), in relation to the senior financing of Huemul Portfolio, which included sensitive advice on archaeological issues and indigenous communities.
In addition to acting before all of Chile’s environmental courts and administrative agencies, Prieto Abogados‘ ‘highly competent‘ six-member environmental team is sought out for its advice on the environmental aspects of transactions. Although best known for its synergies with the firm’s energy (including oil and gas) team, the environmental group is also active in matters involving the real estate, food and sanitary-infrastructure sectors. Recently promoted to director, ‘extraordinary lawyer‘ and department head Agustín Martorell advises national and foreign clients on the development of projects at all stages. Since publication, Martorell has been raised to the partnership - effective January 2022.
‘It is a team with solid technical knowledge in environmental matters, including environmental impact assessment issues, as well as environmental sanctions and inspection obligations.‘
‘A very responsible group of lawyers.‘
‘A highly competent and trained environmental team.‘
‘Deals with the most complex issues that the legal/environmental world presents.‘
‘The technical strength and creativity when reacting to different scenarios have been key.‘
‘The lawyers of Prieto Abogados have something that stands out. The pro bono care they offer is delivered with the same sense of urgency and kindness as for paying clients – that is a big difference.‘
‘Agustín Martorell is a complete lawyer, with solid technical knowledge in environmental matters.‘
‘Agustín Martorell is an extraordinary lawyer who is very successful with his risk analyses, and has extensive legal knowledge.‘
Engie Energía Chile
Transmisora Eléctrica del Norte
Cofradía Náutica del Pacífico
Eólica Monte Redondo
Engie Energía Chile
- Advised Vivocorp on the development of a major infrastructure project (comprising the construction and operation of a shopping centre), including assistance with the environmental assessment strategy and judicial challenge to its permit.
- Advised Aguas Andinas (sanitation company) on the sale of its direct and indirect stake in its subsidiary Empresa de Servicios Sanitarios de Los Lagos (ESSAL), which involved analysing ESSAL’s environmental and sanitary assets and liabilities.
- Assisted Transmisora Eléctrica del Norte with an administrative-sanctioning proceeding before the Environmental Agency, concerning three alleged breaches to the environmental instruments applicable to Transmisora Eléctrica del Norte’s transmission line.
Pruzzo Ruscica Brotfeld Abogados
With 'outstanding knowledge of environmental matters', Pruzzo Ruscica Brotfeld Abogados was co-founded in June 2019 by former Jara Del Favero Abogados (JDF) associates, Dino Pruzzo, who advises on environmental law and natural resources, administrative and regulatory law, maritime concessions and port infrastructure, and Javier Ruscica (environmental projects, sectorial permits and maritime concessions); together with Francisco Brotfeld, who previously worked at power transmission company, Transelec. In October 2019, the firm also hired former JDF name partner Gabriel Del Favero as a senior consulting lawyer. The four-member team is experienced in project-related environmental assessments, as well as administrative and judicial matters; it also has an active water law practice.
Dino Pruzzo; Javier Ruscica
‘PRB has outstanding knowledge of environmental matters, especially its business vision – the firm excels against the competition for environmental issues.‘
‘Great knowledge of environmental matters, with direct contact with the partner in charge who directly executes the work.‘
‘Agility and commitment in the execution of the work. It compares very favourably with other firms.‘
‘Outstanding price/quality ratio, with total transparency in everything!‘
‘They work cohesively, and provide a timely, clear and effective service.‘
‘Dino Pruzzo is probably the best lawyer I have ever met in his area; his knowledge in environmental matters and, above all, his intelligence make his strategic recommendations clear, precise, and correct.‘
‘Javier Ruscica and Francisco Brotfeld are available, fast and clear. When it came to requesting their services, we were attracted to their light and flexible structure, which allowed us to address issues quickly.‘
‘Francisco Brotfeld has vast experience in electricity matters.‘
Minera Los Pelambres
Olivares de Quepu
Sociedad Concesionaria Ruta G-21
Sociedad Concesionaria Teleférico
Aguas de Antofagasta
Andrés Correa Peró
- Assisted Minera Los Pelambres with environmental issues, in relation to the Infraestructura Complementaria Project.
- Defended Transelec against a sanctioning procedure that was initiated by the Superintendency of the Environment.
- Assisted Sunsweet Chile with an environmental assessment for a dehydrated prune production plant project, which included strategic legal advice on water use rights.
Urenda, Rencoret, Orrego y Dörr's six-strong practice fields experts in the environmental law issues surrounding mining and energy investment projects, at both initial stages and in relation to EIA approvals and sectorial environmental permits. The firm's compliance practice additionally assists with the prevention of sanctioning processes; and on the contentious side, the group acts in administrative sanctioning and reclamation procedures before the environmental, health and water authorities, as well as before the environmental courts and the Supreme Court. Ignacio Urrutia's experience includes eight years spent at CONAMA, with Sergio Orrego providing additional partner-level support. Macarena García and Javiera Vicuña are key associates.
Ignacio Urrutia; Sergio Orrego
‘A proactive, rigorous and professional service.‘
‘Their exhaustive follow-up on issues is appreciated.‘
‘They work in a very co-ordinated manner, each one contributing their knowledge and expertise.‘
‘Very clear information within each invoice.‘
‘Quickly understands situations and provides an accurate diagnosis on how to proceed.‘
‘They have diversified their ways of working, which we highly appreciate – agile methodologies that allow them to focus on problem solving rather than on commercial agreements and how to commence representation.‘
‘The knowledge and professionalism of Ignacio Urrutia are great.‘
‘Ignacio Urrutia and associate Macarena García both stand out for their proactivity; they constantly propose new ideas, keeping us updated on regulations and how to comply within the set deadlines.‘
Asociación Gremial de Productores de Cerdos de Chile (ASPROCER)
Sociedad Vinícola Miguel Torres
Enel Generación Chile
Inmobiliaria Viña del Mar
Hermann Von Muhlenbrock Soto
- Assisted Aceros AZA with both achieving a release from a monitoring obligation at an industrial plant’s air quality monitoring facility, and the approval process of its Continuous Emissions Monitoring System.
- Advised ASPROCER on the rule-making process of a new bill of law, which aims to modify the Environment General Basis Law, thereby recognising odours as contaminating agents.
- Acted for Sociedad Vinícola Miguel Torres, which is affected by putrid odours emanating from a tannery, in achieving a Supreme Court ruling ordering the tannery to take measures to stop such emissions.
An integral part of Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana's full-service offering, the 'experienced' five-member environmental law practice is regularly involved in major mining, infrastructure and real estate projects in Chile; and it has particular experience in the interaction between environmental law and public and administrative law. Recent areas of activity range from environmental compliance, due diligence during major transactions and environmental litigation, to water-rights regulations and day-to-day environmental law matters. Guillermo de la Jara, who has extensive experience in procedures involving Chile's environmental regulatory bodies, leads the team, which includes 'young, talented associate' Cristián Franetovic.
Guillermo de la Jara
‘Experienced team, consistently providing first-class advice.‘
‘Knowledge of the industry and criteria that the environmental authority/ inspector potentially applies to risk situations.‘
‘Compares favourably, and the performance to date has provided positive results.‘
‘Quick responses with experience and dynamism.‘
‘Strategic thinking based on experience. The professionals at this law firm are highly trained in the issues that are entrusted to them, with very methodical and highly personalised attention.‘
‘The team has strong skills and is very professional, while being very committed to its work – these lawyers address the issues in depth.‘
‘Guillermo de la Jara has great experience and great insights, and is always helpful to clients.‘
‘Cristián Franetovic is a young, talented associate.‘
Compañía Contractual Minera Candelaria
Tatiana Guillón Moretti
- Acted for Compañía Contractual Minera Candelaria in its appeal against a series of fines, which were applied by the Chilean environmental regulator for alleged breaches of mining project-related environmental agreements.
- Assisted with the due diligence surrounding the acquisition of a solar generation project.
- Assisted with the review of agreements (with environmental content) for the installation of an 84MW photovoltaic generation plant.
Active in projects requiring government authorisation, CMS Carey & Allende's three-member team regularly interacts with regional communities and other stakeholders; is experienced in the EIA system concerning mining, power plant and high-voltage power line projects; and assists with procuring various environmental permits. The firm has also developed an environmental disputes and litigation practice that benefits from in-house administrative law expertise. Promoted to partner in January 2021, Stephan Lührmann (at Urrutia & Cia until 2019) oversees the group's environmental and regulatory litigation work; and associate Manuel Ponce focuses on mining and water rights. Former senior associate Aldo Poblete left to establish his own firm in June 2020.
Khiron Life Sciences Corp
Eléctricas de Medellín Ingeniería y Servicios (EDEMSA)
- Advised EDEMSA on the environmental issues that arose from the construction of a transmission line project.
- Advised Khiron Life Sciences Corp on the local regulations applicable to cannabis-based pharmaceutical and food products.
- Advised Hidroeléctrica Lumen on procuring all the necessary permits for the development of the Chaica River Hydroelectric Power Plant project in southern Chile’s Los Lagos Region.
Correa Squella fields specialists in environmental law-related litigation involving a broad range of administrative and judicial matters. The practice also provides environmental law advice on the establishment of projects in sectors such as energy, pulp and paper, real estate, agriculture, farming and livestock. However, the team has experienced movements: June 2021 saw the departure of former practice head Claudia Ferreiro to Barros Silva Varela & Vigil and the concurrent departure of Catalina Eggers to further her (environmental) studies. The department is now led by senior partner Juan Ignacio Correa in conjunction with public law and litigation specialist, associate Juan Francisco Sánchez; and August-2021 hire, associate Francisco Tapia, who arrives from the Third Environmental Court (Valdivia) and is a former environmental legal adviser to the Ministerio de Hacienda.
‘Correa Squella is a small office in the Chilean market, but one that has well-earned environmental expertise.‘
‘The dedication and personalised attention to cases are its hallmark qualities.‘
‘The office has close and direct relationships with those it interacts with.‘
‘Deep technical knowledge of environmental law, as well as a lot of experience in the administrative law field.‘
Empresa Eléctrica Pilmaiquén
Pedro de Valdivia Group
Agrícola La Islita
Empresa Nacional del Petróleo (ENAP)
- Acted for Statkraft Chile in a request (filed by indigenous communities before the Environmental Court of Santiago) to review the Los Lagos hydropower plant’s environmental assessment resolution.
- Represented Crillón in a request (filed by neighbouring communities to the Parque Cousiño Macul real estate project) before the Environmental Court of Santiago to annul its environmental assessment resolution.
- Acted for residents of Panguipulli Lake in an administrative claim before the Environmental Superintendency against a luxury real estate development called Bahía Panguipulli.
Dentons Larrain Rencoret
'One of the best teams of lawyers in Chile', Dentons Larrain Rencoret has substantial experience in environmental evaluations, sector-specific permits and environmental liability issues; the firm also fields experts in environmental, administrative and judicial litigation, and has a robust water law practice. Areas of recent growth include NCRE and agro-industry work. José Ignacio Morán ('globally strategic vision of issues') leads the firm's regional environment and natural resources department for Latin America and the Caribbean; Enrique Benite co-heads the office's energy department; and Gonzalo Nieto leads the mining group in Chile. José Domingo Villanueva is the senior associate to note.
José Ignacio Morán
‘The Dentons environmental team has several strengths; they have been working together as a team for over ten years; they have a high level of expertise in this area; the partners are deeply involved in the work; and they care about understanding clients’ businesses holistically.‘
‘One of the best teams of lawyers in Chile, where not only the experience in environmental law stands out, but also as regards mining, water and electricity law.‘
‘Lawyers who know a lot about conflict resolution.‘
‘The team members work very well together and are capable of devising creative legal strategies with broad visions, rather than simple legal advice within narrow contexts.‘
‘Lawyers who are very committed to the client and flexible.‘
‘Dentons is a world-class law firm and its lawyers in Chile are excellent.‘
‘Moved towards the best practices of the legal industry in terms of administrative efficiency, diversity, and inclusion and innovation. Because they belong to a global office, they are more advanced than many Chilean offices on these issues.‘
‘José Ignacio Morán has a globally strategic vision of issues, and is concerned with understanding in detail the assignments and businesses of clients, which results in better legal advice.‘
Fundación Parque Tricao
Constructora INARCO (DLS)
National Astronomical Observatory of China (NAOC)
Energía de la Patagonia y Aysen (INVERCAP)
Compañía Minera Zaldivar
- Advised Tewoo Group Co on preparing a mining project for entry into the EIA system.
- Assisted National Astronomical Observatory of China with the installation of an astronomical scientific centre, which includes environmental regulatory advice.
- Advised Kinross Gold on multiple environmental issues surrounding the water supply for mining projects.
'Always one step ahead', DS Abogados' areas of specialisation include environmental compliance, environmental assessments, administrative defence, and environmental permits; the practice predominantly works in the real estate, agro-industry, mining, energy, infrastructure, hydraulic infrastructure and water treatment sectors. It was also recently active in several claims before the Courts of Appeal, environmental courts and multiple administrative authorities. At senior partner level, Enrique Oyarzun and Jorge García ('stands out from the rest') are both active in projects' environmental law aspects, as well as litigation. Hugo Frías (who joined in late 2019 from Moraga & Cía.) and Eduardo Ecclefield are experienced senior associates.
Enrique Oyarzun; Jorge García
‘Give us certainty about the technical and legal solutions we need.‘
‘Provides us with an excellent service and the lawyers are always available to give us a global and comprehensive view of the challenges that our activity faces in Chile.‘
‘The firm’s environmental team is always one step ahead.‘
‘Without a doubt what stands out the most is their availability to attend, respond and take on the issues that arise.‘
‘The environmental team offers us a unique vision, by permanently providing us with technical and legal tools, such as environmental and urban planning.‘
‘Their strategic approach, accompanied by their technical knowledge, allows them to anticipate any conflict or legal challenge that might be imposed at the environmental assessment or construction stage.‘
‘The environmental team has adapted to each of the billing and technology changes that, as a large company, we constantly request from our suppliers.‘
‘Jorge García stands out from the rest, due to his ability to understand the most technical aspects of a project; and based on his experience, he always propose the best solutions. I have never seen a lawyer with the commitment, and deep technical and legal knowledge that Jorge has.‘
Comunicación y Telefonía Rural
Brotel y Cafal (BRICSA)
Transporte y Servicios Mercosur
Francisco de Borja Coo Lyon’s Estate
- Advised CTR Comunicación y Telefonía Rural on the design and execution of a 3,000km fibre-optic cable project.
- Assisted Inmobiliaria FG with the environmental assessment and sectoral execution of its Bahía Pucón Project, a real estate project.
- Advised Andina Ingredients on the strategy surrounding its chemical plant’s judicial and administrative defence, which included a municipal cease and desist order.
Larrain y Asociados Abogados fields an eight-strong team that advises primarily on the environmental law aspects arising from the energy and gas industries; the practice also has notable water law expertise. Sample work includes obtaining environmental permits, assessing the performance of environmental standards, environmental auditing, and investigations and environmental damage claims. The key figures are energy and natural resources specialist Jorge Granic and projects expert Cristóbal Morandé; notable support is provided by experienced of counsel Ricardo Peña, along with associates Javiera Méndez and Joaquín Larrain.
Jorge Granic; Cristóbal Morandé
Flux Solar Energías Renovables
- Advised Flux Solar Energías Renovables on a joint venture agreement with Sphera Energy for the development and construction of a photovoltaic project near Los Angeles, which included due diligence work.
- Advised Metka EGN on the due diligence process surrounding the acquisition of several solar projects.
- Advised Reden Solar on the purchase of several solar plants, which included regulatory matters.