CQS/FV – Cesnik, Quintino, Salinas, Fittipaldi e Valerio Advogados offers advice on the full spectrum of media and entertainment matters across the music, audiovisual, visual arts, and gaming sectors. The team’s wide-ranging experience sees it acting on behalf of impressive domestic and international artists, agents, distributors, producers, broadcasters, streamers, and advertisers across all digital and media platforms. In addition, the department maintains an IP litigation team specialised in copyright and media-related cases, and a public law practice, which is well placed to assist in tax and regulatory matters. Dual-qualified (Brazil and Portugal) founding partner and member of the California Bar Fábio Cesnik, who is currently based between Los Angeles and São Paulo, is a reference in this field. Rodrigo Salinas is the go-to member for intellectual property, commercial contracts and contentious issues. Maurício Fittipaldi, who draws on his previous industry experience, is also a key contact within the team for regulatory matters. Anti-piracy and copyright infringement are the purview of Ygor Valerio, who also oversees the white-collar crime practice from the Brasília office. Felipe Senna is highly regarded in the television and technology sub-sectors, while Aline Akemi Freitas specialises in administrative and public law compliance matters in the media and entertainment space.
TMT: Media in Brazil
CQS/FV – Cesnik, Quintino, Salinas, Fittipaldi e Valerio Advogados
Fabio Cesnik; Jose Mauricio Fittipaldi; Ygor Valerio; Felipe Senna; Rodrigo Salinas; Aline Akemi Freitas
ESPN / The Walt Disney Company Group
MPA – Motion Picture Association
Amazon Prime Video
Biônica Filmes Cinema
- Assisting Maria Farinha Filmes and its distribution subsidiary Flow in its media productions and general daily matters, as well as matters before ANCINE and other regulatory bodies.
- Assisting Motion Picture Association in relation to Video on Demand services’ regulation, ratings system, theatrical accessibility and pay-tv regulation, corporate and tax matters.
Full-service firm Mattos Filho‘s media and entertainment offering brings together practitioners with complementary expertise and experience in these two segments. The team is well positioned to advice on tax, contractual, and regulatory matters in this space, and is also seasoned in copyright agreements, sponsorships, and cooperation agreements on behalf of TV broadcasters and new agencies. Sports is a key area of strength for the firm, which is often engaged in mandates involving trade mark and image rights. Fabio Ferreira Kujawski is known for his long-standing expertise in the sector. Lisa Worcman is a key contact for media-related regulatory matters, including interactions with the Brazilian National Telecommunications Agency (ANATEL), and the Brazilian Agency of National Cinema (ANCINE). Luiz Felipe Di Sessa, formerly at Cescon Barrieu, recently joined the firm.
Paddy Power Betfair
Porta dos Fundos Produtora e Distribuidora S/A
Loot Boxes – Google and EA
Riza Asset Management
Naspers | Playkids
Flutter Entertainment PLC
GungHo Online Entertainment Inc
Oktagon Desenvolvimento de Jogos Eletrônicos
- Assisted Flutter in reviewing and negotiating the terms of a sponsorship agreement.
- Representing Spotify in a lawsuit filed by musicians against the Brazilian Central Copyright Licensing Office (ECAD).
- Representing Netflix in a major lawsuit regarding internet application providers and the potential duty to store and provide source port information.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados
Pinheiro Neto Advogados features a multidisciplinary media and entertainment practice that is a go-to choice for clients seeking advice on project financing, acquisitions and joint ventures, licensing and marketing, media rights, and regulatory matters. Its broad service offering covers the majority of media sectors, including digital and new media, social media, advertising, visual arts, and sports. José Mauro Decoussau Machado stands out for his track record in media-related IP litigation and transactional work. Raphael de Cunto focuses on the technology and the gaming industries. Senior associate Gustavo Gonçalves Ferrer and Márcio Junqueira Leite are other names to note for commercial litigation, IP, and general media and entertainment mandates.
‘The team has great insight into the local context and sensitivities that should be kept in mind and takes a practical approach to matters.’
‘José Mauro Decoussau Machado and Gustavo Gonçalves Ferrer are personable and have great insight into the local context.’
Kavak Tecnologia e Comércio de Veículos
Banco Bradesco – Next
BMG Rights Management Brazil
- Representing Netflix in a lawsuit filed by Templo Planeta do Senhor regarding the removal of the movie Cuties from Netflix’s catalogue.
- Acting for Amazon in a lawsuit regarding the alleged unauthorised use of a Brazilian individual’s image in an episode of the international series “Hanna” on Amazon PrimeVideo.
- Assisted Starz Entertainment in relation to trade marks following the launch of the pay TV “Star” and “Star+” channels on The Walt Disney Company streaming platform.
Noted for its expertise in handling film, television, and audiovisual production, Schivartche Advogados is instructed by major film and television studios in connection with the creation, production, and distribution of media. Praised for his experience 'in dealing with multinational companies, including the US studios and the streaming services', André Schivartche leads the specialised team which has built a strong presence in this market throughout the past thirty years. The practice is particularly adept at advising on matters of intellectual property, contractual obligations, and contentious issues related to audiovisual works.
‘André Schivartche has a very commercial approach. He is equally at ease providing commercial advice or legal advice. He also has a lot of experience dealing with multinational companies, including the US studios and the streaming services, so understands how they do business and what is important for them.’
Associação Neo TV
- Advised Warner Bros. on several production, co-production and distribution transactions.
- Assisted Paramount in several licensing, co-production and distribution transactions.
- Advised Sony on several production, co-production and distribution transactions.
B/Luz‘s entertainment and digital media practice offers its clients multidisciplinary expertise across advertising, IP, technology transactions, and data protection. The team is regularly retained by influencer platforms, online agencies, gaming developers, and data marketing companies, as well as audio-visual industry players in the production and post-production phase. Digital media and advertising law expert Pedro H. Ramos heads the media, technology, and data protection practice alongside Luiz Guilherme V. Valente . Ramos leverages his former in-house experience at one of Brazil’s largest digital advertising agencies to advise clients on matters involving social media, in-app/game advertising, mobile marketing, and user-generated content platforms. Andressa Bizutti is a key contact for tax, contractual and regulatory issues.
Pedro H. Ramos; Luiz Guilherme V. Valente
Interactive Advertising Bureau
Playkids (Kids VoD platform)
Boticário (largest cosmetic franchisor in the world)
Estée Lauder Co.
Grupo Pão de Açúcar (Brazilian largest supermarket chain)
Oliver Agency / You & Mr Jones Group
Wildlife Studios (largest Latam game developer)
99 (Didi Chuxing)
Fanatee (global game developer – CodyCross, Stop, WordLane, LetterZap)
- Assisted TikTok in the implementation of its new and innovative feature, TikTok Creator Marketplace.
- Published with the Interactive Advertising Bureau the first best practices guide for digital advertising in the country.
- Advised Ambev on the first legal social monitoring initiative for all its beer brands in Brazil.
Caio Mariano Advogados
With extensive experience in the audiovisual, entertainment and media sectors, Caio Mariano Advogados covers all manner of contentious and non-contentious matters related to television, film, streaming, music, the arts, advertisement, and publishing. The team assists domestic and foreign clients requiring a full-service approach of assistance for music and audiovisual productions in Brazil. Founding partner and practice head Caio Mariano is trusted by major labels, artists, agencies, and media companies. Fellow founding partner Caio Fujiyama attracts instructions from clients in the film, cinema, television, and online streaming industries, and is a go-to advisor in copyright and licensing matters.
‘Partner-led advice and great availability.’
‘Caio Mariano stands out for his knowledge of the market and involvement in matters.’
Porta dos Fundos
Huck, Otranto, Camargo Advogados
Huck, Otranto, Camargo Advogados provides advice to international and Brazilian clients on all matters related to the entertainment and media sector, including internet and streaming, sports, technology, and telecoms. The team has extensive experience in the advertising space, and routinely advises on tax incentives in the cultural sector, media and image rights, and sponsorships. Practice head Luiz Otávio Rodrigues Ferreira is praised by clients for his ability to be ‘entrepreneurial‘ and is a go-to in the market for sports law. Priscila Furgeri Morando co-leads the practice and is a ‘fierce lawyer’, adept at handling litigation matters and IP rights related to entertainment and media.
Luiz Otavio Rodrigues Ferreira; Priscilla Furgeri Morando
‘I believe that what sets the team apart from other firms is agility.’
‘Priscila Furgeri – a fierce lawyer, she spares no effort to conquer her clients’ desires.’
‘Luiz Otavio Ferreira Rodrigues has unique knowledge in the area, in addition to being focused on problem-solving, understanding the entrepreneur’s vision, not getting lost in legal sensitivities and helping the company to grow.’
The Match Group – Tinder Dating – ParPerfeito Comunicação
- Assisting Expedia do Brasil in obtaining an authorisation for a media campaign involving a contest with international prizes.
- Assisted Instituto Lapin with its social and institutional media projects, and in the structuring of its media and technology programmes.
- Advised Iron Chest on its company formation process and all matters related to media regulation.
Inglez, Werneck, Ramos, Cury e Françolin Advogados (IWRCF)
At Inglez, Werneck, Ramos, Cury e Françolin Advogados (IWRCF), the media offering is part of the the legal marketing and advertising department, which focuses on the development and creation of marketing strategies for a wide range of clients, including advertising agencies and influencers. The team has extensive experience in the automobile, cosmetics, electronics, and consumer goods industries, and maintains long-term relationships with a number of leading corporates in all these segments. In addition, the team regularly acts before the Brazilian National Council of Advertising Self-Regulation CONAR. Widely recommended by clients, Luiz Werneck takes the lead on contentious and non-contentious matters involving CONAR. Talita Sabatini Garcia is a media and entertainment specialist, who particularly excels in IP-related matters.
‘Focused on the business. Excellent availability. Great knowledge of the sector.’
‘Very responsive, great industry knowledge. High quality advice.’
‘Luiz Werneck is excellent. Especially regarding advertising law, he is easily ahead of the main competition in Brazil.’
Cervejarias Kaiser Brasil S.A. (Heineken)
Volkswagen do Brasil Industria de Veículos Automotores
Mercadolivre.com Atividades de Internet
BDF Nivea =
Sky Banda Larga
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
Red Bull do Brasil
- Represented Mercado Livre in administrative proceedings before CONAR against Magazine Luiza.
- Acted for Heineken in administrative proceedings before CONAR regarding alleged irregularities of images suggesting alcohol consumption in the music video for “ALO AMBEV”.
- Represented Nivea in administrative proceedings in relation to a campaign launched by Unilever that stated “New Antiperspirant Dove”.
Representing some of Brazil’s largest advertising agencies, KLA Advogados‘ media practice undertakes transactional and regulatory work, and routinely appears before Brazilian self-regulatory agencies. A go-to destination for advertising mandates, the team is well versed in licensing agreements for broadcast, content acquisition agreements, sponsorships, and advertisement development/clearance. Melissa Kanô heads up the practice and is the main point of contact for clients. Vanessa Pirró and Caio Aragão are also part of the core team.
Radio e Televisão Bandeirantes
Newco Programadora e Produtora de Comunicação
Procter & Gamble do Brasil
- Advised Druid Creative Gaming on its incorporation as a company and its association with Loud Inc.
- Assisting GUT Agency in the review of advertising campaigns.
- Assisting Wieden Kennedy in the review of advertising campaigns.
Particularly adept in matters involving the intersection of entertainment and technology, TozziniFreire Advogados draws on its corporate, regulatory, and IP expertise to advise clients in both non-contentious and contentious issues. Free speech regulations, copyright, licensing, image rights, and trade marks are core areas of activity for the team, which is particularly sought by clients in the social media and computer games industries. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman leads the practice and has a broad base of expertise across the sector, with strength in copyright and trade mark issues relating to financing, broadcasting, distribution, and content governance. Carla Do Couto Hellu Battilana is a key contact for social media clients, and is particularly seasoned in matters involving e-sports competition, free speech and censorship in Brazil.
Marcela Waksman Ejnisman
Garena Interactive Holding Limited and Garena Brasil
The Pokémon Company International
Konami Digital Entertainment
Discovery Corporate Services Limited
Papaya Gaming, Inc
VIRTUAL IP ASSETS LIMITED
- Assisting The Pokémon Company in the manufacturing agreement executed with COPAG.
- Representing Garena Interactive Holding Limited and Garena Brasil in a public civil action filed against the client by a civil organisation called “ANCED” – National Association of Child and Adolescent Defence Centers.
- Assisting Decolar in the context of undue and unlawful use of its brands, corporate name and other identifying elements by unauthorised third parties.
Veirano Advogados’ media practice offers legal support in the advertising, marketing, music, gaming, and audiovisual sectors. Valdir De Oliveira Rocha Filho and Fábio Pereira co-lead the practice. Since publication, Elinor Cotait, Ana Claudia Beppu, Enrico Spini Romanielo and Beatriz Faustino França joined from Mundie e Advogados – effective as of January 2023.
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão’s ‘modern’ media and entertainment group draws from its wider corporate, tax, regulatory, and IP practices to advise clients in the cinema, music, video game, and online media industries. The multidisciplinary approach sees the team advise on a broad spectrum of matters, including image rights and IP transfers, accessibility rights in media, and licensing agreements. IP specialist Antonella Carminatti heads up the practice alongside IP litigation lead Pedro Frankovsky Barroso and dispute resolution, restructuring and insolvency expert Felipe Evaristo dos Santos Galea.
Antonella Carminatti; Pedro Frankovsky Barroso; Felipe Evaristo dos Santos Galea
‘Team of highly qualified lawyers. With modern, easily accessible offices and up-to-date technology.’
‘The team is collaborative and understanding of new intellectual property matters at the highest level.’
Universal Pictures International Brazil
Fox Film do Brasil
Netflix Entretenimento Brasil
Warner Bros. Entertainment
Institute of Contemporary Art – IAC
Warner Music Brasil Emporium Productions
LAMF Los Angeles Media Fund
Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper
Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper’s media and entertainment practice continues to grow in size and offering. The team is routinely instructed in mandates involving the launch of streaming and entertainment apps in Brazil, and offers additional expertise in licensing agreements, trade mark disputes, and regulatory issues. Practice leader Paula Mena Barreto is skilled at advising on franchise agreements, trade marks, software licensing, copyright, and IP litigation related to technology and media clients. The team has seen further growth with the addition of IP specialists Vanessa Azambuja from Dannemann Siemsen Advogados and Ana Paula Pitta de Moura from Bhering Advogados.
Paula Mena Barreto
Cescon Barrieu regularly assists multinational and domestic clients in matters involving copyright and other IP assets, negotiations and drafting of media contracts. Mandates involving image rights, voice acting recordings, streaming and pay-TV distribution, advertising, and streaming are other core areas of activity for the team.The practice is led by Tania Liberman, who joined from KLA Advogados in October 2021. Since publication, former co-head Luiz Felipe Di Sessa left the firm.
‘My experience has been with Tania Liberman. The fact that Cescon Barrieu hired her led us to see this committee as interesting, as well as, according to them, they profess diversity and governance practices that are in line with our company’s policies.’
Rádio e Televisão Bandeirantes
Newco Programadora e Produtora de Comunicação
Terramare Consultoria, Projeto e Contrução de Aquários
Sony Music Entertainment
TC Traders Club
Dias Carneiro Advogados
Dias Carneiro Advogados excels at advising multinational companies in the video games and e-sports industries. The team provides assistance to clients in all manner of matters including deals involving IP assets, e-sports tournament structures, technology transfers, franchises across different forms of media, and software licensing with a multidisciplinary and commercial approach. The team is co-led by Vanessa Pareja Lerner, who is a video game law expert with extensive experience in the market, and Eduardo Turkienicz, who specialises in the intersection of corporate law, IP, and entertainment.
Vanessa Pareja Lerner; Eduardo Turkienicz
‘Dias Carneiro Advogados is technically excellent, in addition to having accessible professionals who visibly show care for clients.’
‘On a daily basis, they always go beyond what is requested, bringing insights and visions that collaborate with the business, much of this is due to the multidisciplinary team.’
‘The firm is very focused on technology, exploring the area in several ways, which results in current tools that meet market expectations.’
‘The professionals are always very helpful, regardless of the moment, they are helpful and willing to help, answer questions and contribute with detailed information.’
Oriental Power Holdings Limited (Tencent)
Cd Projekt Red
- Representing Riot Games in civil action lawsuits filed by a Brazilian child protection organisation called ANCED over the legality of the practice known as “loot boxes” in video games.
- Advised Riot Games on a number of global agreements to promote the launch of the Netflix animated series “Arcane”.
- Advising Ubisoft on a number of matters, including sponsorship agreements, tournament agreements and rules, EULAs, Terms and Conditions, agreements with advertising companies and influencers, and eSport regulation.
Murta Goyanes Advogados
Marcelo Goyanes oversees the media and entertainment practice at Murta Goyanes Advogados, which acts for several household names in this space, including production companies, distributors, television channels, streaming platforms, and advertisers. The team is particularly strong in advising film and TV production clients in non-contentious and contentions matters before regulators and the courts. Goyanes possesses over 25 years of experience in the field, and routinely handles trade marks, copyrights, and IP litigation. Luiza Duarte Pereira is also of note within the team; she has extensive expertise in industrial designs, IP licensing, and technology transfer agreements. Fernanda Mattos is another key contact in the group.
‘ I recommend Marcelo Goyanes and Fernanda Mattos. Kindness and professionalism in service, in addition to common sense and solid legal knowledge.’
Disney (Buena Vista)
Latinamerica Entretenimento Internacional (Filmland International)
Neoplastique Entretenimento -Glaz
Netflix Brasil Thiago Iorczeski (aka Tiago Iorc)
Eduardo Villa-Lobos e Marcelo Bonfá
- Advising Disney on a number of contracts for the production of a film in a Brazil.
- Assisting Brazilian singer Mallu Magalhães in the management of her copyright and neighbouring rights portfolios.
- Assisting Brazilian fashion designer Andrea Marques with the launch of a new collection inspired by the work of artist Mestre Espedito Seleiro.
Peixoto e Cury Advogados
Advertising groups trust the ‘exquisite technical team’ at Peixoto e Cury Advogados with their media and entertainment matters. The firm enjoys a strong reputation in the advertising and marketing industries, and is sought by medium and large companies in a variety of complex mandates, including corporate governance, regulatory issues, IP contracts and disputes, and day-to-day counselling. Regulatory matters before the Brazilian Advertising Self Regulation Council (CONAR) and the Standard Norms Executive Council (CENP) also feature on the practice’s portfolio. The team is led by media and advertising specialist Pedro Jorge Da Costa Nassar Cury. Gabriel Donato and Ana Maria Ferdinando Pardini are also recommended. Since publication, José Ricardo de Bastos Martins, André Villac Polinesio, Renato De Oliveira Valença and Renato Faria have left the firm.
‘Exquisite technical team. Quality in contacts and service.’
‘A firm that thinks dynamically and tries to assist its clients in business.’
‘Gabriel Donato’s best qualities include responsibility, clarity, agility, and ease in explaining tax issues.’
‘I recommend Ana Maria Ferdinando Pardini.’
The Interpublic Group of Companies
McCann Erickson Publicidade
Mullen Lowe Brasil Publicidade
Rádio e Televisão Bandeirantes
The Brazilian Assoation of Advertising Agencies (Associação Brasileira de Agências de Publicidade – ABAP)
McCann Health Preview Publicidade
Escola Superior de Propaganda e Marketing
You & Mr. Jones
Cheil Brasil Comunicações
Agênciaclick Mídia Interativa
Weber Shandwick Brasil Comunicação
Hustle Media Group
Kinesso Huge Brasil Publicidade
FCB Brasil Publicidade e Comunicação
Mercatto Comunicação Integrada
Tech and Soul
R/GA Media Group Publicidade
S2 Publicom Comunicação Integrada
- Assisted McCann Brasil Publicidade in a public bid to become the advertising agency of the Brazilian National Bank of Economic and Social Development (BNDES).
- Assisted FCB Brasil in a project named “Sweet Block”, involving arts created by an artificial intelligence, stored in blockchain and linked to Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), which is an online platform connected to a Twitter API that allowed users to create a crypto art indicating if any Brazilian Politician had blocked them on Twitter.
- Advised Mullen Lowe Brasil on the regulatory aspects related to advertising films for its client Amazon Prime Video which used an adolescent as its main character, requiring the need of prior authorisation from a judge.
Particularly regarded for its in-depth knowledge of the music industry, Senna Advogados is also well placed to assist companies in the audiovisual, technology, and art business spheres. Clients ranging from publishing companies and record labels, to individual artists, distributors, streamers, NFT platforms, hedge funds, and collective management organisations (CMOs) retain the team in all matters related to their business ventures in Brazil and throughout Latin America. The ‘visionary’ Eduardo Ghiaroni Senna and ‘super attentive’ Felipe Dias Curvelo de Oliveira co-lead the team, which also features Roberta de Carvalho Ferreira Rodrigues and Carolina Macedo Martins.
Eduardo Ghiaroni Senna; Felipe Dias Curvelo de Oliveira
‘Senna Advogados have been my partners for almost 10 years. Impeccable care, sensitivity and efficiency.’
‘Senna Advogados has a highly qualified team, with professionals specialised in each legal area. Lawyers transmit us security and credibility.’
‘In addition to the qualification of professionals, the personal relationship with the client is great. Gives us tranquillity and comfort in difficult times.’
A Fábrica Produções
Fernando & Sorocaba
- Advising on all aspects of Anitta’s activities, including sponsorships, endorsements, tours and events.
- Advised on all aspects of the constitution, management and day-by-day operations of EGEDA in Brazil, as well as the administrative process to become a CMO.
- Advised Band Media on defining their rights clearance strategy to enable the use of over four decades of catalogue owned by Band Media that was previously unfit to be used and exploited due to rights clearance issues.
Souto Correa Advogados
Many of Brazil’s top performing artists in the music industry turn to Souto Correa Advogados for a range of legal services including representation in complex lawsuits, transactions, contracts, and general day-to-day matters. Alongside this, the firm also supports a number of domestic and multinational clients in the audiovisual market in transactions, distribution, and IP right enforcement. Department co-head Leticia Provedel has over 20 years of experience in music and entertainment copyright matters and tech-related issues. IP expert João Carlos Harres co-leads the practice, and is the main point of contact for corporations with complex copyright issues.
Leticia Provedel; João Carlos Harres
Caramelo Edições Musicais
Fox Latin American
Urban Jungle Records
Machinna Comunicacao Promocional Eireli
Roberto Carlos and Erasmo Carlos
- Advising Nando Reis on several matters, including the commercialisation of his music online.
- Acts for Bloomberg in several IP matters, including business transactions for affiliation agreements with local Pay-TV providers.
- Advising Roberto Carlos and Erasmo Carlos on several copyright disputes against Warner Music, Universal Music, Irmãos Vitale and Editora Fermata seeking the termination of agreements after more than 30 years of business relationships with music publishers.