With 'unique expertise and an in-depth knowledge of the entertainment sector', CQS/FV – Cesnik, Quintino, Salinas, Fittipaldi e Valerio Advogados renders a full range of media and entertainment services, covering the audiovisual, music, gaming, visual arts and sports segments. The team acts for an impressive client roster composed of domestic and international production and publishing companies, broadcasters, trade associations, video on demand and other media platforms in relation to IP, copyright and media-related court cases. On the non-contentious side, the department is skilled in commercial, IP and financing agreements, and also fields professionals whose areas of expertise include public law, tax incentives and regulatory issues. Dual-qualified Fábio Cesnik - who is currently based in Los Angeles - stands out for his wealth of experience in culture, media and entertainment matters. Rodrigo Salinas is a key contact in Brazil for contractual and litigation mandates in the media sector. The December 2020 arrival of Maurício Fittipaldi, Ygor Valerio and Felipe Senna further strengthened the firm's offering in the technology and content protection fields, and growing presence in Latin America.
TMT: Media in Brazil
CQS/FV – Cesnik, Quintino, Salinas, Fittipaldi e Valerio Advogados
Fabio Cesnik; Rodrigo Salinas; Maurício Fittipaldi; Ygor Valerio; Felipe Senna
‘Their knowledge of the legislation and tax incentives (federal, state and municipal) in the culture sector is what makes them stand out.’
‘Fábio Cesnik and José Maurício Fittipaldi are recommended.’
‘CQS has unique expertise and an in-depth knowledge of the entertainment sector, especially in the regulatory and production areas. The firm’s small structure means you are closely attended to by senior associates and partners.’
The Walt Disney Company (Brazil)
Warner Brothers TV (USA)
Viacom Networks Brasil
Busca Vida Films
Vice Media Group
Image and Sound Museum of São Paulo
- Provides legal services to the Walt Disney Group in various fields such as clearance of complex screenplays; consultancy on movie theatre and pay tv regulation, public funding in Brazil, and administrative litigation.
- Provides srategic legal assistance to Warner Brothers TV in contractual and regulatory affairs involving various entertainment projects developed, invested or co-produced by Warner.
- Assists Viacom Networks Brazil in contractual and regulatory affairs involving various entertainment projects developed, invested or co-produced by Viacom, and represents the client in administrative procedures.
Bringing together lawyers with diverse expertise in the media and entertainment industry, Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados is well equipped to assist clients in tax, contractual and regulatory issues, including administrative proceedings. Brazilian and foreign clients turn to the team for assistance with copyright and commercial agreements, advertising issues and licensing of image rights; other areas of activity include advice on the structuring of new products and sports events. Lisa Worcman is the counsel of choice for several multinational conglomerates in the audiovisual industry. Fabio Ferreira Kujawski is also singled out for his experience in the entertainment sector.
Paddy Power Betfair
Porta dos Fundos
- Retained by Digital Alpha to provide legal counseling on the project to have the Disney+ streaming solution in Brazil.
- Retained by WarnerMedia in order to provide assistance regarding the analysis of its interests in the filing of contributions for public consultations before ANCINE that were made by industry associations.
- Assists Spotify in several consultations on copyright law and the regulation of the music market in Brazil.
The media and entertainment law practice at Pinheiro Neto Advogados provides comprehensive advice on matters pertaining to the gaming, audiovisual and music streaming sectors. The team has strong capabilities in copyright litigation and is regularly instructed by studios and production companies in lawsuits involving IP rights infringement. Other notable areas of expertise include IP and commercial agreements, transactional issues, advertising law and regulatory matters. The tax group has also witnessed a recent increase in work related to the taxation of video on demand services. José Mauro Decoussau Machado specialises in IP litigation and transactional work. Gustavo Gonçalves Ferrer and Márcio Junqueira Leite are other key practitioners in the team, who focus on commercial litigation, IP, media and entertainment law.
NBC Universal Media
Universal Pictures Brazil
- Hired by NBC Universal Media to defend its interests in lawsuits filed by Brazilian dubbing actors, claiming the payment of an indemnification for the alleged unauthorised use of their voices on several films and TV series.
- Represents Amazon in two lawsuits filed by individuals who were portrayed in episodes of a docuseries called Criminal Investigation, which is currently available at Amazon Prime Video.
- Acts for Netflix in a suit filed by a church (Templo Planeta do Senhor), which is trying to have a movie (Mignonnes) removed from Netflix’s catalogue arguing that the movie promotes paedophilia and the sexualisation of children.
Schivartche Advogados has carved out a notable reputation for handling complex issues in the media and entertainment sectors. With more than three decades' experience in this field, the firm is routinely engaged by production companies, studios, television operators and programmers in relation to the production and distribution of audiovisual works. Led by André Schivartche, the department is proficient in contractual matters, IP agreements, commercial transactions and contentious issues.
‘Led by André Schivartche, this office is extremely capable in the area of Entertainment Law. It knows the players in the market, facilitating interaction in the area of Brazilian and worldwide audiovisual production. Has extensive knowledge of contracts throughout the production chain.’
‘André Schivartche is an exceptional lawyer with over 20 years of experience in Entertainment Law. Knowledge, common sense and ethics.’
Associação Neo TV
Baptista Luz Advogados
Baptista Luz Advogados fields a team of 'excellent professionals in the advertising field' who are also seasoned in entertainment and digital media matters. The practice's multidisciplinary experience extends across IP rights, data protection, commercial transactions and M&A. Recent highlights demonstrate the team's ability to assist with all kinds of media agreements, and advise on tax, contractual and regulatory issues regarding the video on demand industry; Andressa Bizutti is noted for this type of work. Department head Pedro Ramos, the former general counsel of the largest digital advertising agency in Brazil, has an abundance of experience in mobile marketing, social media, in-app and in-gaming advertising and user-generated content platforms.
‘Baptista Luz is a powerhouse. What makes them unique is that they are fluent in every legal domain, from adtech to employee monitoring. One of the firm’s key qualities is that the legal advice they provide goes to the heart of the matter while being extremely technical.’
‘Their associates are on another level. Extremely technical, always available, and all of whom make an effort to understand our business well.’
‘Baptista Luz’s lawyers are excellent professionals in the advertising field.’
‘Pedro Ramos works on several fronts for digital advertising, being an excellent intermediary of discussions.’
Interactive Advertising Bureau
Grupo Pão de Açúcar
You & Mr Jones Group
- Assisted one of AB InBev’s brands, Zé Delivery app – a beverage delivery platform – in its media monetisation strategy.
- Advised Fbiz Comunicação, an advertising agency of the WPP group, on a campaign called 180 Play for the Maria da Penha Institute.
- Offered legal advice to Rappi during the process of structuring new product Live Events, a streaming service that promotes live events with the participation of celebrities and has a Live Shopping feature.
Caio Mariano Advogados
Caio Mariano Advogados handles a range of contentious and non-contentious matters related to the media and entertainment sector. Clients routinely seek the team's assistance with the financing, distribution, rights clearance and licensing of audiovisual and music productions. Its broad service offering also covers the online streaming, publishing, visual arts and advertising segments. Founding partner Caio Mariano, who is regularly retained by media companies, major artists, labels, agencies and production companies, jointly coordinates the practice with Caio Fujiyama, who is predominantly engaged in mandates pertaining to the production of films, series and videos for distribution in cinemas, television and online streaming platforms.
Caio Mariano; Caio Fujiyama
‘Caio Mariano Advogados is one of the best law firms in terms of copyright and cultural law in Brazil, the services they provide make it much easier to navigate this universe, helping us in all audiovisual projects.’
‘I work directly with Caio Mariano, and I think he is one of the best lawyers in this sector in the country.’
‘I think Caio Mariano and associates stand out for the speed and seriousness that it imposes and puts into its projects, obviously maintaining the quality of the service. This is a great differential of the office.’
Warner Chappell Music Publishing Brasil
Bossa Nova Filmes
UNS Produções e Filmes
Paralamas do Sucesso
Baco Exu do Blues
- Advised Sandy & Júnior with all agreements related to a commemorative tour (Nossa História), including those with tour producers, the entire cast, advertising partners, and commercial partnerships.
- Assisted Bruno & Marrone with all the distribution, transmission and commercial partnership agreements related to all their live online music shows performed during the Covid pandemic.
- Advised Greg News on all agreements related to the TV and online programme Greg News (HBO Brasil), including conducting all legal, contractual and business affairs between the producer and HBO Brasil.
Huck, Otranto, Camargo Advogados offers advice to Brazilian and international clients from the publishing, internet, broadcasting and advertising sectors in matters involving entertainment, media and sports law. The practice is adept in advising on complex contractual, administrative and contentious issues, and also excels in financing transactions and matters regarding the production and distribution of content. Entertainment and technology law specialist Maurício Vedovato jointly heads the department with Guilherme Gomes Pereira, whose areas of activity include dispute resolution and sports law, and Luiz Otávio Ferreira Filho, who provides 'brilliant solutions' in the fields of entertainment and sports law.
Maurício Vedovato; Luiz Otávio Ferreira FIlho; Guilherme Gomes Pereira
‘The level of knowledge and ability to solve problems makes the team that works with my company in this firm a unique asset. HOCA works with volume without losing the ability to be profound.’
‘Luiz Otavio Ferreira Rodrigues has the ability to find innovative solutions for clients.’
‘Luiz Otavio Ferreira Rodrigues approaches problems with tranquility and in the search for solutions. He understands that when a company needs to resolve a legal issue, it needs to think about commercial aspects at the same time. Furthermore, Luiz Otavio seeks speed and optimises legal costs, always allied to brilliant solutions.’
The Match Group
Maurício de Souza Produções
Instituto Criar de TV, Cinema e Novas Mídias
Violab Produções Artísticas
- Assisted Expedia do Brasil with obtaining an authorisation for a complex media campaign that involved a contest with international prizes.
- Advised The Match Group (Tinder) on the negotiation and drafting of the agreement to sponsor Tinder’s VIP lounge at the 2020 Carnival in Salvador, Bahia.
- Assisted Iron Chest throughout its company formation process, including all media regulation aspects of the business.
The team at Inglez, Werneck, Ramos, Cury e Françolin Advogados (IWRCF) focuses on legal marketing and advertising matters, advising clients on the review of advertising campaigns, media and entertainment agreements, and regulatory issues. Its practitioners have significant experience acting before regulatory agency CONAR and demonstrate particular strength in advertising mandates involving auto parts, consumer products and technology. Luiz Werneck leads on complex media and entertainment cases. Talita Sabatini Garcia is particularly active in managing relationships between advertisers and regulatory agencies.
‘Technical knowledge in digital marketing, promotions, advertising analysis and matters before CONAR.’
‘Luiz Werneck is a lawyer with excellent technical knowledge and, as he has already worked in the legal department of a large company, knows a lot about the needs of clients. He is very approachable and assertive in his recommendations.’
‘Very attentive team that sticks to deadlines. Luis Werneck is recommended for advertising matters.’
‘Talita Sabatini has exemplary technique in the field of advertising, in addition to providing impeccable customer service.’
‘The firm has developed a very specific and highly specialised knowledge of entertainment law. It is necessary to have an in-depth view of the functioning of the sector. The teams stands out for that.’
‘The practice clearly stands out for its availability and customer service. Luiz Werneck brings with him an unprecedented skill in the construction of the theses he defends.’
Volkswagen do Brasil Indústria de Veículos Automotores
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
Ferrero do Brasil Indústria Doceira Alimentar
Cervejarias Kaiser Brasil
- Represented Heineken Brasil in an administrative proceeding against the commercial promotion #BudNoJogo by Ambev.
- Assisted Samsung in the implementation of TV Plus, an app launched in Brazil at the end of 2020.
- Supported Huuro during the whole process of production of the TV series entitled Carenteners.
Showcasing a strong track record in transactional work involving the media and entertainment sector, KLA Advogados is also active in regulatory compliance and proceedings before regulatory agencies including ANCINE, CENP and CONAR. The practice places particular emphasis on the advertising segment; Melissa Kanô is the key contact in this space. Tania Liberman left the firm in October 2021.
‘Attentive, dedicated, competent and committed team.’
‘KLA Advogados has always been very supportive. The firm has the ability to quickly form multidisciplinary teams when necessary to advise us on complex issues.’
Radio e Televisão Bandeirantes
Newco Programadora e Produtora de Comunicação
Procter & Gamble do Brasil
- Assisted Cinemark with the draft and negotiation of several of its commercial agreements in Brazil.
- Provides ongoing assistance with the structuring, operation and registration of several commercial promotions and other marketing initiatives relating to Procter & Gamble’s products.
- Assisted Newco with licensing agreements relating to the acquisition of foreign content to be broadcasted on Rede Bandeirantes’ TV channels in Brazil.
TozziniFreire Advogados assists clients from the media and entertainment sectors in a variety of matters, including copyright law, image rights and transactions. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman, who oversees the practice, is seasoned in transactional matters involving the entertainment industry. Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana is another key individual, with expertise in M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructuring involving companies in the media and entertainment segments.
Marcela Waksman Ejnisman
Goiasminas Indústria de Laticínios
The Pokémon Company International
Jellyfish Digital Group Limited
Discovery Golf Play TV
- Advised Jellyfish on the acquisition of 100% of the shares issued by Comune (Reamp), being 60% acquired by Jellyfish Brasil Serviços de Internet and 40% by Jellyfish Digital Group.
Working closely with other departments within the firm, Veirano Advogados offers legal support in the advertising and marketing, music, gaming, television and film sectors. The practice has in-depth knowledge of regulatory issues, and is also skilled in image rights, copyright law, licensing and production agreements. The highly regarded Valdir Rocha stands out in the field of advertising law; he often advises on campaign clearance matters. Fábio Pereira specialises in licensing mandates and has extensive experience in the music, TV and digital media segments.
Valdir Rocha; Fábio Pereira
‘They are real experts, have great experience and knowledge, and have a deep bench — so there’s always someone who can help.’
‘Valdir Rocha is a superstar. A true leader in the field.’
HBO Latin America
Score Media Ventures
- Advised on the legal clearance for HBO’s production of Greg News, including IP rights, likeness and image rights, amongst other matters.
- Advised Tencent on the setting up of a local company, and provided legal opinions on licenses required for the operation in Brazil.
- Assisted Bytedance in the legal assessment of an online campaign.
The media and entertainment practice at Campos Mello Advogados handles an array of non-contentious and contentious matters, including licensing agreements, IP enforcement and free speech-related litigation. Assisting clients with the launch of new products, such as streaming tools and apps, is a core area of activity for the department, which is led by Paula Mena Barreto, who focuses on production and advertising agreements, and regulatory matters pertaining to the media sector.
Paula Mena Barreto
Mundie e Advogados provides broad services in the media and entertainment field. On the regulatory front, the team is a solid performer in proceedings before regulatory agencies, disputes and tax-related issues. Its varied client roster includes major media conglomerates, video streaming platforms, audiovisual producers and broadcasters, which routinely seek support in relation to the taxation of streaming platforms, Pay-TV regulations and audiovisual anti-piracy measures. Elinor Cotait, Ana Claudia Beppu and Tomás Paiva are active in the entertainment and media industries. Beatriz Faustino França and Enrico Romanielo are other names to note.
Elinor Cotait; Ana Claudia Beppu; Beatriz França; Enrico Romanielo; Tomás Paiva
Câmara Brasileira de Comércio Eletrônico (CAMARA-E.NET)
- Represented Fox and Turner in a regulatory dispute regarding the streaming of linear audiovisual content by OTT services.
- Assisted AT&T with the regulatory clearance at ANATEL regarding its takeover of WarnerMedia.
- Represents CAMARA-E.NET, an industry association representing big techs, in a constitutional case brought to the Supreme Federal Court related to regulation by ANATEL and ANCINE of video OTT platforms.