Veirano Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Firm Profile
Veirano Advogados Offices
AV BRIGADEIRO FARIA LIMA ,3477
16º ANDAR – SÃO PAULO
Veirano Advogados > The Legal 500 Rankings
City focus - Brasilia > Tax Tier 1
Veirano Advogados' Brasília-based tax team plays a leading role in the firm's major tax cases, many of which are high-profile and involve well-known companies. In addition to administrative and judicial litigation, tax consulting also features in the team's workload. The team's longstanding relationships with many of its key clients are another hallmark of the practice. Marcelo Reinecken leads the national tax practice, and is also a member of the firm's board of directors; he specialises in tax and customs and draws on his extensive experience before the Supreme Federal Court, Superior Court of Justice and the Administrative Board of Tax Appeals (CARF). Renata Joner and Rafael de Paula Gomes also focus on customs and tax litigation and are key contacts at the associate level.
Autotrac Comércio e Telecomunicações
ANEAA (National Association of companies that manage airports)
Termo Norte Energia
Santos Brasil Participações
- Retained by Philip Morris to provide tax consultancy and tax litigation with regard to sensitive and high-profile matters.
- Provides tax consultancy and representation in complex tax litigation to client Autotrac.
- Acts for Termo Norte Energia in a case concerning entitlement to an income tax benefit.
Veirano Advogados is skilled at assisting across the gamut of matters pertaining to the power sector, and showcases particular strength in M&A transactions, project finance and development. With in-depth knowledge of regulatory issues across the transmission, generation, distribution and commercialisation of power, the team stands out for its renewables experience, with expertise in wind, hydro and solar projects and assets. Tiago Figueiró specialises in M&A, but is also active in project development and litigation involving power regulations. He leads the practice with project finance specialist Ana Carolina Barretto and Daniel Engel, the latter of whom routinely assists foreign and domestic clients in renewable generation projects.
Tiago Figueiró; Daniel Engel; Ana Carolina Barretto
‘The energy team at Veirano is highly specialised in the renewable energy sector. They are very responsive and responsible. Daniel Engel provides practical advice.’
‘Daniel Engel and Paola Oliveira Lima can provide to our business correct and practical advice so that we protect ourselves yet not kill the business. This balanced advisory service has been benefiting our business in Brazil.’
Engie Brasil Energia
Morgan Stanley Investment Banking Division
Atlas Renewable Energy
Vestas Wind Power
B3 – Brasil, Bolsa, Balcão
Global Power Generation
Compass Gás e Energia
BP Gas Marketing
Eletrobrás Termonuclear- Eletronuclear
Green Enesys Holdings
GreenYellow do Brasil Energia e Serviços
- Assisting Morgan Stanley with the revision and due diligence of regulatory and environmental matters concerning thermoelectric and gas projects held by Hygo Energy Transition (Golar Power) in Brazil, in connection with the underwriting of the Nasdaq IPO of Hygo.
- Provided legal advice to Celeo Redes in connection with the acquisition of three small hydroelectric plants in the state of Mato Grosso, with a total installed capacity of 55MW.
- Assisted Vinci Partners and Global Power Generation (GPG) in connection with two issuances of debentures by Guimarania I and Guimarania II, owners of two photovoltaic power plants in the state of Minas Gerais.
Covering the entire spectrum of mining matters, Veirano Advogados particularly excels in regulatory issues pertaining to the sector, and transactional work ranging from project financing to the acquisition of mining companies and mineral rights. Litigation, administrative proceedings and environmental matters are other areas of activity for the team, which is also noted for its experience in cross-border mining projects. Based in Rio de Janeiro, the department is under the leadership of Pedro Garcia, who has a wealth of experience in mining law. Antonio Albani Siqueira is another practitioner to note for mandates related to the structuring of mining projects.
- Assisted Leagold Mining in the $578m merger with Equinox Gold Corp.
- Acted as Brazilian counsel to Samsung in connection with an offtake pre-payment agreement, pursuant to which Samsung made available to Great Panther Mining a dollar term pre-payment facility.
- Acted for Ferrous in a matter to prevent the Brazilian courts from stopping its acquisition by Vale due to environmental and antitrust issues.
Veirano Advogados' clients benefit from a multi-faceted team that is equally comfortable in high-stakes union negotiations, transactional support and major judicial and administrative lawsuits. The team's size, with eight partners, certainly helps it cover most of the key areas. Among them, Jose Carlos Wahle has established an excellent name for contentious and non-contentious labour issues, including sensitive internal investigations. Other key figures include Luiz Antonio dos Santos Junior, who regularly advises on collective bargaining and outsourcing agreements, as well as high-stakes lawsuits from senior executives. In Rio de Janeiro, Luiz Guilherme Migliora is especially active on the litigation side, while Flávia Azevedo is particularly experienced advising oil and gas companies on their labour issues. The firm also fields a strong team in Porto Alegre led by Luiz Afrânio Araújo.
Luiz Guilherme Migliora; José Carlos Wahle; Luiz Antonio dos Santos Junior; Flávia Azevedo; Luiz Afrânio Araújo; Cristian Divan Baldani; Sílvia Araújo; Maria Luisa Soter
‘My experience with Veirano has been very positive. Very commercial and pragmatic.’
‘Veirano Advogados has one of the best labour practices in the country. The firm is positioned to provide effective and sophisticated advice and representation both in routine cases and especially in large demands/projects. The experience of the firm in several industries with local and international clients combined with a very technical knowledge and commercial vision positions the firm as the first option in the market for all labour issues.’
‘Our main advisor is Jose Carlos Wahle. He is very responsive, commercial and pragmatic. I have also found that he was able to relay how legal risk interrelated with trends and cultural aspects which assisted us in evaluating risk to allow us to have the full picture and support in decision making.’
‘Luiz Guilherme Migliora and Luiz Afrânio Araújo are two of the best labour lawyers in the country. The ability of both to understand customer demands and propose commercially viable solutions, and their experience in various industries and with both local and international customers is a major asset.’
‘Luiz Antonio dos Santos Junior is experienced in combining the legal and the business side. He is very assertive, and commits himself and participates in the decisions we face.’
Amil Assistência Médica Internacional
CHC do Brasil Taxi Aéreo
LATAM Linhas Aéreas
VIGOR (Lala Group)
- Represented LATAM in sensitive negotiations with the unions representing all its 15,000 ground workers in Brazil to temporarily lay off a part of its employees and to reduce salaries and wages for others.
- Represented BASF in a R$28m class action brought by employees in its São José dos Campos polystyrene plant.
- Represented Philip Morris in two lawsuits, filed by the labour and tax authorities, requesting approximately R$7.5m in FGTS and social contributions related to the salary paid by a foreign entity in favour of expatriate employees.
Brazil > Real estate Tier 1
Veirano Advogados 'stands out for its technical quality, innovation in the performance of solutions and for the treatment and attention dedicated to the client'. The dedicated real estate team has an impressively varied workload; recent mandates have ranged from assisting with the privatisation of federal public assets and advising real estate funds on transactional and structural fundraising issues. This has included development projects and sales and acquisitions, in the hospitality and retail sectors, both of which were badly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. The firm has also developed a strong niche in logistics, infrastructure, healthcare and senior living assets, and also provides advice to proptechs. Raphael Moreira Espírito Santo and Rodrigo de Castro jointly lead the team from São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro respectively. Senior associate Bruno Aronne is also well regarded.
Rodrigo de Castro; Raphael Moreira Espirito Santo
‘Goodwill, attention, competence and availability of the partners and associate lawyers.’
‘The real estate team of Veirano Advogados, led by the partners Rodrigo de Castro and Raphael Moreira, stands out for its technical quality, innovation in the performance of solutions and mainly for the treatment and attention they dedicate to the client.’
‘Rodrigo de Castro, for his technical excellence and dedication, attention and reactivity with the client; and Raphael Moreira for the commercial partnership with the client, always presenting creative and efficient solutions for the problems presented.’
‘Bruno Aronne, competent lawyer, attentive and helpful.’
Cerberus South American
Jive Asset Management
IRB Brasil Resseguros
Brazil Hospitality Group – BHG Hotels
- Advising the Brazilian Army in the development of a residential project in Brasilia, in which it intends to exchange its ownership of the land for the construction of barracks and military hospitals.
- Advising Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas, a company from the Intercontinental Hotels Group, in establishing the Six Senses Botanique Hotel at Campos do Jordão.
- Advised BlueMacaw Logistica on the acquisition of a company from Goodman’s group that owns a logistics centre in Rio de Janeiro, currently leased to Via Varejo.
Tax > Customs Tier 1
Brazil > Banking and finance Tier 2Veirano Advogados has a versatile banking and finance practice, which is as comfortable in acquisition, project and corporate financings as it is in specialised areas such as asset finance. Rio de Janeiro-based practice head Marcelo Mattos has a strong pedigree for cross-border loans to key industries such as oil and gas, shipping and mining. This feeds into the team’s workload, which often includes providing advice to major domestic and international lenders. Other key partners include Ana Carolina Barretto, who leads the São Paulo team and is especially strong on the project finance side. Daniela Anversa is noted for her debt capital markets expertise, while Rogério Campos in Rio is also strong in ship finance. Since research concluded, Anversa has moved in house as legal director at Natura & Co - effective as of July 2021.
‘Marcelo is very responsive and timely with his advice. He is very commercial and communicative as well.’
Weatherford Indústria e Comércio
Osprey Point Investments V
Global Power Generation
- Acted as counsel to Shell in the R$2.06bn financing to Marlim Azul Energia for the implementation of a greenfield 565.5MW gas-fired thermal power plant in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
- Acted as counsel to Canadian mining company Equinox and its affiliates in connection with a $290m syndicated facility and note issuance that will be partially used to pay Sprott Private Resource Lending’s then existing debt.
- Acted as Brazilian counsel to French bank Natixis, acting as sole structuring bank, underwriter and lead arranger for the restructuring of a $290m senior secured project financing for the development and installation of the Seabras-1 project.
Brazil > Capital markets Tier 2Veirano Advogados stands out for its debt capital markets expertise, where the extremely well-regarded Daniela Anversa has an active practice. The firm represents a fairly even mix of underwriters and issuers on the full range of debt offerings, including bonds and asset-backed receivables. The practice also offers regulatory support and has experience representing clients in administrative proceedings before the CVM. The equity side of the practice is also gaining traction, as demonstrated by the team’s advice to the underwriters on Intelbras’s primary and secondary share offering. Corporate partners Lior Pinsky and, in Rio de Janeiro, Alberto Bragança also have good experience. In June 2021, the firm further bolstered its practice with the hire of Luiz Maluf, previously an in-house counsel at Citibank. Since research concluded, Anversa has moved in house as legal director at Natura & Co - effective as of July 2021.
‘Daniela Anversa is experienced and competent. She follows the whole process, is always available, brings quick and efficient solutions. In addition, she has worked in financial institutions and knows very well the sensitive points for us.’
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Banco Itaú BBA
Banco Bradesco BBI
Banco Rabobank International Brasil
Banco BTG Pactual
Caixa Econômica Federal
- Acted as counsel to the syndicate of underwriters in the primary and secondary public offering of shares in Intelbras – Indústria de Telecomunicação Eletrônica Brasileria, to be listed on the Novo Mercado segment of the São Paulo Stock Exchange (B3).
- Acted as counsel to Claro and Banco Bradesco BBI in Claro’s tenth issuance of unsecured and non-convertible debentures worth R$ 2.5bn.
- Advised Bank Rabobank International Brasil in Colombo Agroindústria’s private placement of R$359m in non-convertible debentures.
Veirano Advogados' Porto Alegre-based corporate group routinely handles negotiations related to domestic and international commercial contracts for clients in the retail, private equity, agribusiness and construction sectors. Dual-qualified partner Fernando Verzoni oversees the practice, which is also seasoned in M&A deals and financing matters. The department head primarily focuses on commercial contracts and M&A, which are also notable areas of practice for Diego Fraga Lerner, a key contact for cross-border deals and real estate matters. The highly regarded Fernanda Fossati is also part of the core team.
‘What makes this firm unique is the way in which the professionals work, and how they assist their clients in a professional, capable and attentive manner, always providing the best strategies to solve issues.’
‘I would recommend Diego Fraga Lerner, who always advises us with great care and professionalism.’
‘Fernanda Fossati has a great knowledge and understanding of our business.’
‘Quality of service above average.’
‘The team responds quickly to contact and demands. Diego Fraga Lerner stands out for his knowledge of international contracts and the Asian market.’
‘Attention and competence in dealing with clients.’
APROBIO – Associação dos Produtores de Biocombustíveis do Brasil
ABRAPA – Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Algodão
Ybitu Empreendimentos de Energia Renovável
BSBios Indústria e Comércio de Biodiesel Sul Brasil
IMA Schelling Brazil Manutenção de Máquinas
- Advising R.P. Participações em Biocombustíveis on the acquisition of a 50% equity stake in BSBios Indústria e Comércio de Biodiesel Sul Brasil.
- Advising ECB Group on the structuring and development of the Omega Green project, a $800m plant that will produce renewable diesel and synthetic paraffinic kerosene.
- Advised Grupo Tiradentes on an investment in the inaugural UK-based fund of edtech-focused venture firm Emerge Education.
The dispute resolution group at Veirano Advogados excels in commercial litigation and arbitration, and is also well versed in administrative proceedings involving concession agreements, and the energy and mining sectors. The Porto Alegre-based team demonstrates particular strength in disputes involving M&A agreements, business contracts, product liability and consumer claims. Corporate and commercial disputes, as well as energy and administrative law, are notable areas of practice for department leader Filipe Scherer Oliveira, while fellow co-head Luiz Afrânio Araujo oversees labour litigation matters. Mauro Hiane de Moura, who combines expertise in judicial and administrative litigation, is also part of the core team.
Filipe Scherer Oliveira; Luiz Afrânio Araujo
‘In addition to the technical capacity of the partners and the team, there is also a very good integration with the SP office, which allows for the development and implementation of complex procedural strategies.’
‘Organisation, clarity in understanding and writing, clear and fast guidance for making decisions with greater assertiveness.’
‘Filipe Shcerer de Oliveira is recommended.’
APROBIO – Associação Dos Produtores De Biocombustíveis Do Brasil
Três Tentos Agroindustrial
WestRock Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
Philip Morris International
Cementos del Plata
Philip Morris Brasil
- Represents Philip Morris International in a class action filed by the federal government seeking reimbursement of costs incurred by the National Health System (SUS) with the treatment of diseases connected to smoking, as well as collective moral damages.
- Obtained a major win in trial court worth over $115m for Italian SACE in a highly complex litigation that started over 10 years ago.
- Represents 99 Tecnologia in a class action filed by the public defenders of the state of Rio Grande do Sul, which is questioning the requisites established by 99 to grant financial aid to its partner drivers during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Veirano Advogados has strong credentials in tax litigation, where it represents clients before the administrative and judicial courts. The tax and customs department also provides advisory services related to tax incentives, with a particular emphasis on those pertaining to the Manaus Free Trade Zone, and also advises clients on the tax aspects of M&A deals and business restructurings. Fabio Barichello, who stands out for his experience in administrative proceedings, steers the Porto Alegre team on an array of contentious and consulting matters. Ari Job Junior is noted for handling complex litigation and advising domestic and foreign clients on tax planning.
Microsoft Mobile Tecnologia
Philip Morris Brasil
Refinaria de Petróleo Riograndense
BSBios Indústria e Comércio de Biodiesel Sul Brasil
Leonardo Maniglia Duarte
‘Organisation, clarity in understanding and writing, clear and fast direction for making decisions with greater assertiveness.‘
‘Leonardo Maniglia Duarte is recommended.’
- Represents Danfoss and Eaton in the antitrust clearance of the cross-border transaction by which Danfoss intends to acquire Eaton Hydraulics, from Eaton Corporation.
- Advised Claro on the potential acquisition of part of Oi Móvel’s mobile operations in Brazil in a proposed joint bid by Claro, Telefonica and Telecom Italia (TIM).
- Represented Brink’s in the merger notification of the acquisition of TecnoGuarda, Brink’s’ competitor in the market for armoured transportation in the Brazilian states of Goiás and Mato Grosso.
Brazil > Corporate and M&A Tier 2‘Fast, efficient and providing services with robust legal and business knowledge‘, Veirano Advogados‘ highly experienced corporate and M&A team is noted for its ‘pro-deal approach‘. A significant highlight in 2020 was its representation of Australia-based company Nufarm in the sale of all shares of its subsidiary in Brazil, Nufarm Indústria Química e Farmacêutica, to Sumitomo Chemical. The firm saw some personnel changes during 2021, with the departures of Carlos Lobo in January and Sergio Bronstein in April. However, its sizeable team – which is split between the São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre offices – remains busy, acting for major corporations and private equity clients in their operations and investments in Brazil. Names to note include Augusto Cesar Barbosa de Souza, Paula Surerus, Fernando Verzoni, Lior Pinsky, Alberto Bragança and Vanessa Felício (who made partner in January 2022), with key associates including Diego Yago Rodrigues. Another relevant feature of the firm is its social responsibility and pro bono programme, Veirano Transforma, launched in 2020, with social impact and diversity and inclusion initiatives considered key criteria in the selection of new projects. The firm’s D&I Committee, established in 2015, promotes internal and external actions, with an emphasis on gender, race and ethnicity (including its involvement in the Aliança Jurídica pela Equidade Racial and Incluir Direito projects), sexual orientation and LGBTQI+ (with recent highlights including its partnership with TransEmpregos), digital inclusion, social mobility and age. Since publication, Surerus has been appointed managing partner (effective January 2022), the first woman to hold the position in the firm's 50-year history.
Augusto Cesar Barbosa de Souza; Paula Surerus; Fernando Verzoni; Lior Pinsky
‘Very approachable and hands-on assistance. Very good coordination.’
‘Good negotiations skills. Understands what is important for us as client and points out the right issues.’
‘Fast, efficient, and providing services with robust legal and business knowledge. All areas work closely together, for example, to ensure that an acquisition or divestment takes place in the best possible way, without any setbacks. They understand the risk matrix of foreign and multinational investors very well, looking for the best solutions. Excellent experiences in the area of M&A and Regulatory / Energy.’
‘Alberto Bragança, Paula Surerus, Tiago Figueiró and Thaís Limani are recommended.’
‘Veirano Advogados has a team of partners and lawyers from Corporate and M&A with skills and competencies to assist clients in transactions of any complexity. The attorneys demonstrate a deep knowledge of the details of the laws, the impact of business clauses, and the importance of each part of the Due Diligence process. In addition, the members of this team interact with clients acting as a single focal point of the office, mobilising other partners in specific areas when necessary and consolidating understandings, facilitating the decision-making of the client.’
‘Great expertise on the subject, flexibility and agility in service and pro-deal approach.’
State Grid International Development
Light Street Capital
- Acted as counsel to Nufarm on the sale of all shares of Nufarm’s subsidiary in Brazil, Nufarm Indústria Química e Farmacêutica, to Sumitomo Chemical.
- Advised Laureate Group on the sale of all its Brazilian assets to Anima Educação, one of the largest education companies in South America.
- Advised Claro on the R$16.5bn joint bid (made together with Telefonica Brasil and TIM) to acquire all the mobile assets of Oi Móvel.
Brazil > International trade Tier 2
Veirano Advogados has a focused team led by highly experienced trade specialist Ana Teresa Caetano, who has an impressive track record in contentious and non-contentious WTO issues. This expertise extends across a range of industries, including auto parts, chemicals and petrochemicals, paper, electronics and tyre manufacturing. 2020 saw the firm handling several high-profile trade remedy cases and sunset reviews, including representing interested parties in proceedings linked to PP and PVC, phenol, float glass and tyres. Caetano is ably supported by key associates Marina Martes, Lucas Biasetton and Mariana Boralli.
Ana Teresa Caetano
‘High quality in the work delivered, clarity in the arguments, allied to punctuality and compliance with the agreed deadline.’
‘Ana Caetano – High seniority with deep technical knowledge of international trade law, being widely recognized even abroad. For her international exposure, Ana Caetano manages to add value and prepare bold legal strategies, which I have particularly never noticed in other professionals in the market. Marina Martes – Qualified professional, with quick return and attentive to the customer’s needs.’
‘The practical and academic experience of Veirano Advogados lawyers is an important differential. The leadership in the area of trade defense is very secure and every detail of the related administrative process is worked out and carried out carefully and completely.’
‘Dr. Ana Caetano is a firm leader in the area of international trade/trade defense and her experience and relationship and engagement with important stakeholders in this area are essential for the good result usually presented by Veirano. Lucas Biasetton is a very helpful and agile component of the team, with excellent quality of resources and information coordination with clients and interface with the authorities. Mariana Boralli is another very helpful and agile member of the team.’
BMW do Brasil
Confederação Nacional da Indústria
Industrial Levorin / Neotec Indústria de Comércio e Pneus Limitada
Jari Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
Rhodia Poliamida e Especialidades
Swarovski Crystal Components
- Represented Braskem in the sunset reviews and public interest proceedings regarding AD duties applied on imports of polypropylene resins (PP) from India, Korea and South Africa and AD duties applied on imports of polyvinylchloride suspension (PVC-S) from China and Korea.
- On behalf of CNI, prepared a position paper evaluating the status of the WTO Appellate Body (AB) and Dispute Settlement Mechanism and recommended alternatives.
- Represented Rhodia in the sunset review and public interest proceeding regarding AD duties applied on imports of phenol from the US and the EU.
The multidisciplinary team at Veirano Advogados is seen with great regulatory acting for commercial and development banks, multilateral agencies, as well as companies from the transport and energy sectors engaged in project financing and development matters. The group is noted for its experience in construction issues and its comprehensive knowledge of the oil and gas, renewable energy and transport infrastructure sectors. Leading the nationwide team out of São Paulo, Ana Carolina Barretto is active in project development, financing transactions, construction and energy law. Based in Rio de Janeiro, Marcos Ludwig is well versed in concessions, public tenders and PPPs. Also in Rio, Elisa Rezende is often engaged in infrastructure financing deals.
Ana Carolina Barretto; Marcos Ludwig
‘The team offers excellent support regarding infrastructure contracts. Ana Carolina Barretto has in-depth knowledge of the subject. She also demonstrates a lot of transparency in negotiations and has clients’ interests in mind. Their availability is also noted.’
‘We work with Veirano’s team in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. They are always available and able to respond quickly to our requests/needs.’
‘Veirano stands out for the availability of its team, the attention, quality and detail of the legal opinions provided. I especially recommend the partner Marcos Ludwig, for his attention, dedication and the quality of the legal opinions provided.’
Eletrobras Termonuclear (Eletronuclear)
Companhia de Gás de São Paulo – COMGÁS
ENGIE Brasil Participações
Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de Guarulhos
Westrock, Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
Global Power Generation
Compass Gas e Energia
- Acted as lead counsel to the ECB Group in the structuring, development and financing of the Omega Green project, an $800m second generation biofuel plant in Paraguay that will produce renewable diesel and synthetic paraffinic kerosene.
- Assisting GRU in connection with the construction and operation of the airport people mover (APM) system, which will connect Guarulhos International Airport to the public rail system.
- Advised Sadenco on its successful bid for the 20-year street lighting PPP of the municipality of Uberlândia, state of Minas Gerais.
Veirano Advogados is best known for its advice to creditors, where it has built up an extremely good reputation for contentious and non-contentious insolvency and restructuring proceedings. The team works closely with members of the firm's corporate, banking and tax teams, ensuring that all bases are covered on debt restructurings, and distressed asset sales and acquisitions, where it also represents investors. The team is jointly led by Paulo Campana Filho, who is especially strong on the transactional and strategic advisory front, and Rio de Janeiro-based litigation partner Ricardo Gama, who has a notable track record in high-profile judicial reorganisations.
Ricardo Gama; Paulo Campana
‘Differentiated service, pro-deal lawyers and with a lot of quality involved. Total trust in the work of the Veirano team.’
‘Paulo Campana is professionally absolutely qualified, experienced and a good negotiator. Exceptional to have by your side in a transaction.’
The Bank of New York Mellon
Natixis, New York Branch
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
Intesa Sanpaolo, New York Branch
Banco Itaú BBA
Nokia Solutions and Networks do Brasil Telecomunicações
Alvarez & Marsal
Planner Trustee Distribuidora de Valores Mobiliários
RR Donnelley Editora e Gráfica
American International Group (AIG)
Yellow Solucões de Mobilidade
VCT Brasil Importação e Exortação
- Advising the bridge lenders, Natixis, Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, MUFG Bank and Intesa Sanpaolo, on the judicial reorganisation proceeding of Odebrecht Group.
- Advising multiple creditors holding claims in the Oi Group’s judicial reorganisation proceeding.
- Advising Grin Group, a Brazilian group in the micromobility sector, in its judicial reorganisation proceedings.
Tax > Tax advisory Tier 2
Veirano Advogados comes highly recommended by clients for its strong litigation, advisory and customs expertise. The firm fields specialised lawyers across its four offices, including Brasília and São Paulo, where highly rated co-heads Marcelo Reinecken and Filipe Richter are based. Rio de Janeiro partners such as Andre Carvalho and Ian Muniz are noted for their strong tax support to clients in the oil and gas industry. Abel Amaro and Flávio Paranhos are two of the lead contacts for customs law, as well as broader litigation and consulting matters. Other key members include Marco Monteiro, who is especially experienced in indirect tax, cross-border transactions and transfer pricing. Senior associate Fabio Barichello in Porto Alegre is also noted.
Marcelo Reinecken; Filipe Richter
‘Veirano has a team of differentiated lawyers, who serve us as a priority, are excellent quality and always available and ready to meet the demands. They are super diligent and know in depth the cases/processes of which you are responsible.’
‘Veirano Advogados stands out for offering excellent quality services with attractive rates when compared to other offices. The staff are extremely competent and always puts themselves at the disposal of customers to resolve the issues and meet the deadlines, which are usually short.’
‘A cohesive and well-coordinated team, with knowledge of both tax law and client activity, and the peculiarities of the processes under their responsibility. The team is always focuses on customer needs.’
‘Marco Antonio Moreira Monteiro is an extraordinary professional, who stands out for his vast knowledge in the sector we operate’
‘Fabio Barrichelo in Porto Alegre is always available and extremely diligent in the cases he touches.’
‘Marcelo Reinecken is a lawyer with deep knowledge of tax law and great analytical capacity to assist the company in decision making. Ari Job Junior is a lawyer with a lot of knowledge of tax law and always seeks the best solutions in all areas. Renan Vargas Barreto has a lot of knowledge of tax law. He covers the themes that are under his responsibility.’
‘The tax legal knowledge brought by Veirano is a differential in the sense of avoiding surprises during the execution of a proposal/project. Andre Carvalho, who attends us, deserves a special mention due to his high knowledge of the subject.’
‘Andre Carvalho is a distinguished professional. Very high legal knowledge of the matter, with didactics to explain the matter to lay people and always available for further clarification.’
- Successfully represented SM Empreendimentos in a lawsuit challenging corporate income taxes regarding the deduction of Goodwill Tax Amortization derived from an investment in Brazil.
- Achieved a favourable decision for SKY Serviços de Banda Larga in a case involving ICMS on the company’s streaming services.
- Advised AT&T Global Networks Services do Brasil in several tax lawsuits in different states and municipalities concerning taxes on top of the telecoms services and other services rendered by the company in Brazil.
Veirano Advogados has a high quality, multidisciplinary team that combines expertise in succession and family law, tax, dispute resolution, real estate and M&A. The team regularly advises wealthy families on estate planning and the restructuring of their domestic and offshore assets and businesses. Recently, the firm has been involved in several complex cross-border divorce and probate negotiations with significant implications for family estates. The practice also leverages off strong relationships with major banks, family offices and accounting firms. Tax partner Andre Carvalho and wealth and estate planning expert Pedro Boueri Affonso de Almeida jointly lead the well-regarded team. Paula Surerus and associate Guilherme Fonseca de Oliveira are also noted.
Andre Carvalho; Pedro Boueri Affonso de Almeida
‘Excellent technical knowledge combined with customisation and adaptability to clients.’
‘Andre Carvalho, Paula Surerus and Pedro Bouri Affonso de Almeida – unite technical capacity and a high capacity for customised client solutions.’
‘The lawyers are extremely qualified and have extensive experience in the matter, which makes the client feel very confident in implementing the suggestions.’
‘Dr. Pedro Affonso Boueri: Excellent positioning in the face of challenges. Undisputed experience and technical capacity, in addition to enormous skill in customer relations; Dr. André Carvalho: Great tax knowledge and vision; Dr. Guilherme Fonseca Oliveira: Excellent professional, complementing the team very well.’
Veirano Advogados acts for domestic and international companies in highly regulated sectors in cases involving regulatory and administrative law. 2020 and 2021 saw the team advising clients on matters involving Covid-19, public tenders and constitutional litigation, among other areas. In addition to handling contentious and non-contentious matters, the Brasília-based lawyers also collaborate closely with colleagues in the other offices, with Porto Alegre-based practice head Mauro Hiane de Moura a key contact. Marcelo Reinecken has broad experience in tax and public law. Associate Giulia Sabino is also noted.
Marcelo Reinecken; Mauro Hiane de Moura
‘The office has some essential qualities to stand out, such as attention to detail, partnership always seeking to meet the objectives, availability of the team to respond promptly to the demands and objectivity in the communication.’
‘Marcelo Reinecken: professional with wide area knowledge and strategic global vision of both litigation and advisory. Giulia Sabino: diligent professional, with a lot of knowledge of the field.’
Autotrac Comércio e Telecomunicações
SAMA Minerações Associadas (em recuperação judicial)
British Telecom Group
ANEAA (National Association of Airport Administrators)
APROBIO – Associação Dos Produtores De Biocombustíveis Do Brasil
- Acted on behalf of the World Bank in a set of cases before the Supreme Federal Court in which states of Brazil requested the judiciary to temporarily suspend their debts with international institutions because of the hardship caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Engaged by APROBIO (the main association of biofuel producers in Brazil) to represent it in two major lawsuits discussing key aspects of the biodiesel regulatory framework.
- Acts as Brazilian counsel to GRU Airport in the extraordinary revision and negotiation with the Brazilian Aviation Authority (ANAC) of an amendment to the concession agreement of Guarulhos Airport.
The labour and immigration team at Veirano Advogados has extensive experience in non-contentious employment matters, as well as judicial and administrative litigation. Clients from a multitude of industries regularly turn to the team for advice on compensation plans, dismissals, collective claims and negotiations with trade unions. Luiz Antonio dos Santos Jr and Luiz Afrânio Araujo jointly lead the department, which is also equipped to advise on the labour aspects of corporate restructurings and M&A transactions.
Luiz Antonio dos Santos Jr; Luiz Afrânio Araújo
‘The Veirano Advogados office is distinguished by its high technical capacity and deep legal knowledge. The personalised service for each type of specific case is, without a doubt, what sets it apart.’
‘Veirano’s labour practice in Porto Alegre is one of the most capable and sophisticated in the country. The team is well positioned to provide effective and commercially viable legal advice and representation in all kinds of labour matters, from ordinary day-to-day issues to high-exposure disputes. The team blends a wealth of technical expertise with a wide experience in the field across a variety of industries.’
‘Luiz Afrânio Araujo is a star in the field and stands out in the market for his hands-on approach, diverse and inclusive mindset, business savvy, technical expertise, and international outlook. He pairs a solid international dual legal education in Brazil and the U.S. with a pragmatic and solution-driven approach. He is always very responsive and remarkably dedicated to client service. His genuine interest in understand clients’ business needs and how each legal matter affects their bottom line positions him way beyond the ordinary role of outside counsel. He is a true business partner and commercial counsel for his clients.’
‘Luiz Afrânio and Manoela Correa are two members of the team who deserve to be highlighted for their high level of customer service.’
Brazil > Compliance Tier 3Veirano Advogados‘ compliance department remained busy in 2020 and 2021, continuing to receive instructions from longstanding clients as well as attracting new business. The team is regularly involved in corporate investigations related to alleged money laundering, bribery and improper conduct. Other matters keeping the team busy include advising on compliance policies and programmes, and representing clients in administrative proceedings. The department is led by highly experienced partner Rafael Gimenes in the São Paulo office. Clients of the firm benefit from its coverage of both preventative compliance matters and white-collar criminal law, the latter area being handled by well-regarded criminal lawyer Marta Saad. Associate Rodrigo Alves dos Santos also receives praise. Since publication, Mariana Villela left the firm, in November 2021.
‘The office is always available to chat and understand the reality of the business before making any opinion. The opinions are direct and deepened in the correct measure, enough to make a conscious decision but not too detailed to the point of being difficult to understand and analyse. The office is very knowledgeable about legislation and proposes alternatives that match the company’s best interest with the legislation.’
‘Rodrigo da Silva Alves dos Santos stands out. He always works with a lot of partnership and with the necessary agility to meet the demands of the company.’
OEC – Odebrecht Engenharia e Construção
Turismo Três Amigos
- Carried out three sensitive internal investigations at the request of Odebrecht’s board of directors.
- Retained to conduct an independent corporate investigation under a special committee formed by the independent members of the board of directors of Banco BMG.
- Provides advice to Prumo Logística on a regular basis on day-to-day matters regarding compliance, including background checks for third-party hires and consulting services.
‘The dispute resolution team at Veirano Advogados has extensive experience in complex cases and a great capacity to respond to urgent requests. Furthermore the partners are extremely available.’
‘Felipe Bastos is experienced, available and has great strategic thinking.’
‘I was very impressed by the team’s technical skills and the pragmatic way in which they handled matters.’
Kawasaki do Brasil
Indústria e Comércio and Kawasaki Heavy Industries
Eletrobras Termonuclear – Eletronuclear
Global Payments Serviços de Pagamentos
Amil Assistência Médica Internacional
Repsol Sinopec Brasil
Johnson & Johnson
Westrock Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
Sovos Compliance Desenvolvimento de Sistemas
Três Tentos Agroindustrial
Taxweb Software de Compliance Fiscal
Align Technology do Brasil
Porto do Açu
Pan-Americana Indústrias Químicas
Sider Comercial Industrial
VAA Brasil Importação e Exportação
Associação Brasileira d’A Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos dos Últimos Dias
Warner Music Brasil
Shell do Brasil
BNY Mellon Serviços Financeiros Distribuidora de Títulos e Valores Mobiliários (BNY Mellon)
Aurora Energia Renováveis II
Hidrovias do Brasil – Vila do Conde
Marka Nikko Asset Management
Subsea 7 do Brasil Serviços (Subsea 7)
Weatherford Indústria e Comércio
Wärtsilä Finland Oy
Concessionária Aeroporto Rio de Janeiro
- Successfully defended Raízen in a major claim for damages and loss of profits based on tort.
- Represents Porto do Açu in 476 lawsuits which discuss indemnification due by the client due to expropriation proceedings.
- Obtained on behalf of Westrock the suspension of municipal decrees based on the Covid-19 pandemic, which severely impacted the client’s business.
Brazil > Environment Tier 3Standing out for its in-depth knowledge of ESG issues, Veirano Advogados is seen with great regularity advising clients from the chemicals, infrastructure, mining, pharmaceutical, automotive, financial services, energy and construction sectors in relation to the environmental licensing of projects and environmental liabilities arising from corporate transactions. Mandates involving solid waste and wastewater management are strong points for the department, which is also well versed in contamination issues, protected areas, and noise and air pollution. Luis Felipe Andrade leads the practice; his main areas of activity include environmental, health and disaster-related crisis management. In significant developments, former co-practice head Ana Luci Grizzi left the firm in June 2021, and Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev joined the firm – from Pinheiro Neto Advogados – in August 2021.
Luis Felipe Andrade; Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev
‘The Environmental Law team at Veirano Advogados stands out, not only for its excellent technical knowledge, but also for its engagement in matters. In addition, they have excellent communication skills.’
‘Robust team in environmental law. They manage to give me complete security in the debates and opinions presented. Luis Felipe Andrade is recommended.’
Hidrovias do Brasil
- Assisting GE Power in pre-litigation consultancy regarding a relevant environmental class action regarding a contaminated area.
- Assisting Instituto Escolhas, a well-recognised NGO, in drafting proposals of regulations for the Central Bank of Brazil and CVM to provide that distributors of titles and securities must ensure that all gold purchased is extracted in full compliance with environmental laws.
- Assisting Kinea, a real estate investment company from the Itaú Group, in managing protected forest areas and obtaining applicable environmental permits of newly acquired assets.
Brazil > Insurance Tier 3
Veirano Advogados' insurance practice has a particular focus on representing policyholders on the full range of insurance issues. This includes providing support in policy negotiations, revisions and renewals, through to major disputes. Many clients come from higher risk industries, such as oil and gas, infrastructure, manufacturing and financial services. The practice is led by highly rated disputes head Felipe Bastos, who has a good track record in major insurance litigation and loss adjustment processes, as well as regulatory matters.
‘The services provided by Veirano Advogados are of excellent quality, technicality and punctuality.’
‘Solid knowledge, excellent service and attention.’
‘Felipe Bastos is an excellent professional, with great availability and extensive knowledge on the legal topics, always having a relevant and attentive legal opinion in understanding the context of consultations and our industry.’
IRB Brasil RE
Grupo Novo Mundo
The Bank of New York Mellon
Seguradora Líder do Consórcio do Seguro DPVAT
Monashees Gestão de Investimentos
Volvo Cars Importação e Comércio de Veículos
Sky Brasil Serviços de Banda Larga
Subsea 7 do Brasil Serviços
Sistac – Sistema de Acesso
McAfee Brasil Comércio e Serviços de Tecnologia
Nova Riotel Empreendimentos
Westrock, Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
Blue Cube Brasil Comércio de Produtos Químicos
Benteler Componentes Automotivos
- Representing IRB Brasil in a reinsurance claim brought by Hermes Pinto dos Santos.
- Advising the retailer Grupo Novo Mundo on several insurance-related matters, including the termination of a major distribution contract with Assurant Seguradora.
- Advising BMW Financeira on several insurance matters, including the offering of its Premium Selection Program to clients who own secondhand BMWs.
Tax > Tax litigation Tier 3
Brazil > TMT: Media Tier 3
Working closely with other departments within the firm, Veirano Advogados offers legal support in the advertising and marketing, music, gaming, television and film sectors. The practice has in-depth knowledge of regulatory issues, and is also skilled in image rights, copyright law, licensing and production agreements. The highly regarded Valdir Rocha stands out in the field of advertising law; he often advises on campaign clearance matters. Fábio Pereira specialises in licensing mandates and has extensive experience in the music, TV and digital media segments.
Valdir Rocha; Fábio Pereira
‘They are real experts, have great experience and knowledge, and have a deep bench — so there’s always someone who can help.’
‘Valdir Rocha is a superstar. A true leader in the field.’
HBO Latin America
Score Media Ventures
- Advised on the legal clearance for HBO’s production of Greg News, including IP rights, likeness and image rights, amongst other matters.
- Advised Tencent on the setting up of a local company, and provided legal opinions on licenses required for the operation in Brazil.
- Assisted Bytedance in the legal assessment of an online campaign.
Veirano Advogados fields a team of specialised lawyers whose expertise cuts across software agreements, IT outsourcing and cloud computing. Its varied client roster is made up of electronic payments, social networks, new technologies and e-commerce companies seeking advice on financing, transactions, IP issues, litigation and the structuring of new products and services. Fábio Pereira is the main point of contact for IT mandates, including complex technology transactions, data protection and cloud computing services. In a significant move, former partner Guilherme Potenza left the firm. Senior associate Isabel Hering is also highlighted.
‘An excellent team bringing in expertise from other parts of the firm as necessary. They took the time to properly get to know our business in order to give commercially sensible and practical advice.’
‘Isabel Hering has been a stand-out lawyer in this excellent team. Practical, no-nonsense advice.’
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF)
HAYS Recruiting Experts Worldwide
MTU do Brasil
The Husqvarna Group
Cpqd – Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Telecomunicações
Seguradora Líder do Consórcio DPVAT
Taxweb Software De Compliance Fiscal
- Supports CPQD- Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Telecomunicações in a number of agreements with its clients, including public and private entities.
Brazil > Transport: Aviation Tier 3
Veirano Advogados is a popular choice for aircraft and aircraft engine financings; it represents several leading international lessors and banks on commercial and corporate aircraft transactions. The team also has experience advising on the financing of other related assets, including flight simulators. Practice head João Paulo Servera has built a good name in this area, and is also noted for his expertise in related litigation and insolvency proceedings. Major clients include Airbus Financial Service, Export Development Canada and Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing.
João Paulo Servera
‘A bright team that is eager to provide information and find answers. Good attention to the details and a willingness to understand the business objectives from a commercial perspective – not just applying the law.’
CHC Helicopters Group
Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing
SMBC Aero Engine Lease
Airbus Financial Services
Export Development Canada – EDC
Shannon Engine Support
- Assisting Arena Partners in structuring a bridge loan financing to FBR Aviation for the acquisition of six aircraft from two different manufacturers.
- Assisting CHC Leasing Sarl (CHC Helicopter Group) in the restructuring of aircraft lease agreements and consequential changes and assignments to full security packages affected by the new finance structure of five aircraft currently operated by CHC do Brasil Táxi Aéreo.
- Assisting Macquarie Rotocraft Leasing in the negotiation and execution of lease agreements for two helicopters to OMNI Táxi Aéreo.
Brazil > Transport: Shipping Tier 3
Veirano Advogados has an experienced team, particularly for offshore maritime related advice. Its workload often involves advising domestic and international clients on charter and transportation agreements. Clients come from across a broad spectrum including major international lenders, multilateral agencies, shipowners and ship yards. The bulk of the work is non-contentious, and Rio de Janeiro-based practice head Marcelo Mattos is especially active in ship finance for vessels and the construction of oil platforms and shipyards. Rogério Campos is also noted for his expertise in this area, which covers maritime regulatory and offshore oil and gas matters.
Marcelo Mattos; Rogerio Campos
SBM Offshore (SBM)
DVB Bank SE
Nordic Trustee & Agency
Compagnie Maritime Monegasque International CMM)
- Acted as counsel to DVB Bank as existing facility agent for the finance parties under a senior secured facility agreement (SSFA) entered into with UP Offshore.
- Acted as counsel to Yinson Production since it first arrived in Brazil on a wide variety of issues, ranging from regulatory and corporate to tax.
- Advised South32 in relation to a long term cabotage project for Bauxite transportation/shipping, to be developed by ALUMAR, a joint venture formed between mining companies Alcoa, South 32 and Rio Tinto.
Marta Saad brought her criminal law practice to Veirano Advogados in 2019 and since then she and the team have successfully established a comprehensive in-house white-collar crime practice. The team is well versed in criminal investigations and lawsuits across the country, and also has notable experience in cross-border cases. It has recently acted for clients in cases involving allegations of fraud, bribery and embezzlement, among other areas, with its clients involved either as defendants or victims. Saad, André Augusto Mendes Machado, Luciana Zanella Louzado and antitrust and compliance partner Mariana Villela 'are experienced, pragmatic lawyers who offer solutions to problems quickly and efficiently'. Compliance specialist Rafael Gimenes is another key contact.
Marta Saad; André Augusto Mendes Machado; Luciana Zanella Louzado; Rafael Gimenes
‘The firm has a specialised team, extremely qualified. It adds academic depth with pragmatism, practicality and knowledge of the market, which makes them unique, in my opinion.
‘I recommend Marta Saad, André Mendes and Luciana Louzado, with whom I have the opportunity to work on several occasions, on complex matters. I also recommend Mariana Villela. They are experienced, pragmatic lawyers who offer solutions to problems quickly and efficiently.’
‘Marta Saad is in a position to offer differentiated solutions to conflicts of a criminal nature. Being in a full-service firm, she has great facility to activate other knowledge necessary to resolve the conflict.’
‘Professionalism and technical capacity of its members. Marta Saad is very different.’
- Representing an individual in a high-profile FCPA-related case, including working alongside a US-based firm to assist the client in a sentencing hearing before the US Federal Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Conducted three sensitive internal investigations for a client at the request of the company’s board of directors.
Clients from a variety of sectors, including banking, private equity, construction, technology, energy, telecoms and insurance, turn to Veirano Advogados for assistance in arbitration in Brazil and abroad. Lawyers are positioned to work both as lead counsel or co-counsel in cross-border proceedings, often collaborating with leading foreign law firms. Mateus Carreteiro, whose areas of activity include arbitration cases in the technology, energy and telecoms industries, heads the practice with Ricardo Gama, who is well versed in domestic and international arbitration.
Mateus Carreteiro; Ricardo Gama; Fabio Alem
‘Dedication to the case and legal knowledge.’
Endurance Capital Partners
Thales Canada and Omnisys Engenharia
Cais Mauá do Brasil
Camargo Corrêa Desenvolvimento Imobiliário
Genesys Laboratórios de Telecomunicações
Sage Brasil Software
RINA Brasil Serviços Técnicos
- Acted as counsel for the consortium led by Construtora Passarelli (Consórcio Tietê III) in an arbitration dispute against Companhia de Saneamento Básico do Estado de São Paulo (Sabesp).
- Represented TIM, TIM Brasil Serviços e Participações and TIM Participações in the ratification proceeding of an arbitration award.
- Represented RINA in an arbitration proceeding in a dispute concerning the clauses and conditions of a purchase and sale agreement.
With deep regulatory knowledge of the downstream, midstream and upstream sectors, the oil and gas practice at Veirano Advogados receives regular instructions from clients engaged in bid procedures launched by Petrobras. The group is recognised for its significant experience in advising hydrocarbons companies on tax planning and tax regimes in Brazil. Other typical mandates include sector-related environmental licensing, M&A and greenfield project development. 'Standout individual' Ali El Hage Filho is a seasoned practitioner in M&A and financing deals involving the oil and gas industry. He jointly leads the practice with tax specialist Andre Carvalho and Rogério Campos, who focuses on corporate and contractual matters.
Ali Hage; Andre Carvalho; Rogério Campos
‘The team at Veirano is excellent. Always available at short notice for any assistance related to legal matters. The team is very professional.’
‘In our view, Veirano has a strong team that can meet our needs not only in regulatory/JV matters in the oil & gas industry, but also in tax, environmental, labor and immigration. Their lawyers usually work in an integrated basis with good results. Ali El Hage Filho brings immense practical knowledge from his in-house days, providing the most useful, clear, and commercially sound advice.’
‘Very good firm in oil and gas matters. They have the right mix of specialisation and broad general corporate support.’
‘This firm is unique due to its great tradition in several areas, but I can only speak about the quality of the team of partner Ali El Hage Filho in contractual matters and intellectual property. The quality of the work was excellent and the availability to clarify queries, even after delivery, was also great.’
‘Ali El Hage Filho is a standout individual. Personal attention given to customers, cordiality in communication and in the provision of services, as well as the attention to detail in consultations.’
‘Great knowledge of the market. Ali El Hage Filho is a competent professional with deep knowledge of the oil and gas market.’
Compass Gás e Energia
IBP – Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo, Gás e Biocombustíveis
Bluewater Energy Services
DeepWater Corrosion Services
- Acted as counsel to Compass Gás e Energia in the competitive process for the lease of a regasification terminal in the coast of Bahia from Petrobras.
- Assisted Pulse Monitoramento Estrutural (part of the Acteon Group) in a Petrobras bid for system installation, monitoring and post-processing services in relation to field data from drilling risers and surface systems.
- Advised Intermoor (part of the Acteon Group) on a Petrobras bid, in which Petrobras acted as block operator on behalf of Consortium Libra_P1, for hiring engineering design services, pre-launch and supply of goods for the anchoring lines for the FPSO Sepetiba.
Veirano Advogados has extensive experience in IP law, from domain names, trade mark and industrial design prosecution to enforcement and infringement litigation. Valdir de Oliveira Rocha Filho and Fábio Pereira are key contacts.
Brazil > Public law Tier 4
Veirano Advogados has notable strength in transactional matters with significant administrative law or regulatory components, advising domestic and foreign clients from highly regulated industries such as energy, infrastructure and natural resources. Mauro Hiane de Moura leads the public law department out of Porto Alegre. Mandates involving government concessions, PPPs and privatisation of state-owned companies populate the practice's workload, which also features administrative and judicial litigation. Marcos Ludwig is a key contact in Rio de Janeiro for energy and infrastructure-related projects, while Daniel Engel in São Paulo excels in public contracts and regulatory issues.
Mauro Hiane de Moura
‘Veirano is extremely involved. Their senior representative, Marcos Ludwig, was always available for a discussion or for providing an expert opinion on legal matters related to public law.’
‘Marcos Ludwig is very knowledgeable of all topics related to public law, resulting in highly valuable and efficient discussions. Additionally, he acted very professionally and diligently. Finally, timing of activities and deliverables was very clear and always adhered to.’
BSBIOS Indústria e Comércio de Biodiesel Sul Brasil
APROBIO — Associação dos Produtores de Biocombustíveis do Brasil
WestRock Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
NTT Comércio e Serviços de Tecnologia
Eletrobras Termonuclear– Eletronuclear
Cementos del Plata
- Assisted Cementos del Plata in a R$364.5m public tender promoted by CGT Eletrosul, a state-owned corporation responsible for the operation of a coal-based power plant in the city of Candiota.
- Assisted WestRock in judicial litigation against city decrees that, at the outset of the Covid-19 pandemic, prevented the company from executing a $345m investment plan for the expansion of its facilities.
- Advising Eletrobras Termonuclear – Eletronuclear on several complex matters of public law and international law (bilateral agreements) in the context of the potential resumption of the civil works for the completion of the nuclear power plant Angra 3.
Veirano Advogados > Firm Profile
Veirano. A results-oriented law practice.
The firm: Founded in 1972, Veirano Advogados is one of the leading and most renowned Brazilian business law firms, focused on developing tailored solutions for multinational companies operating in strategic sectors of the economy.
With a team of 600 professionals working in an integrated fashion, the firm handles both routine and complex multidisciplinary cases that require the coordinated talents of professionals with diverse areas of expertise.
Veirano Advogados’ services range from providing assistance in M&A transactions, privatizations and company formations to representing clients in disputes, from offering advice on tax issues and infrastructure projects to guiding oil and gas companies through the challenges inherent in a highly regulated industry, to name a few examples of the wide range of work. The main goal is to identify needs and develop tailored solutions, enabling safe and informed decision making – one client at a time.
Clients: The firm’s clientele encompasses leading multinational companies across different industry sectors including:
- Banks and financial services
- Chemical and petrochemical
- Construction and engineering
- Consumer goods
- Hospitality and tourism
- IT and telecommunications
- Machines and equipment
- Metals and mining
- Oil and gas
- Pharmaceutical and cosmetics
- Transport and logistics
Alliances and networks: The firm maintains a wide network of key relationships across the globe and is a member of international alliances Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance (GALA), IsFin – Emerging Market Advisors, Ius Laboris and World Services Group (WSG). As a result, Veirano Advogados provides seamless services wherever they are required.
International work: To build strong client-service teams of specialists, the firm recruits Brazilian attorneys with multicultural backgrounds who have received additional education and practical skills from prominent law firms and law schools in the US, Europe and Asia. Furthermore, all professionals are fluent in English and Portuguese, with many also fluent in other languages, such as Chinese, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Founding partner: Ronaldo C. Veirano
Managing partner: Paula Surerus
Number of partners: 78
Number of associates, lawyers and consultants: 165
|Rio de Janeiro Officeemail@example.com||+55 21 3824 4747|
|São Paulo Office||+55 11 2313 5700|
|Porto Alegre Office||+55 51 2121 7500|
|Brasilia Office||+55 61 2106 6600|
Staff FiguresPartners : 78 Associates, lawyers and consultants : 165 Other fee-earners : 190 Total staff : 600+
LanguagesEnglish French German Italian Portuguese Spanish Chinese (Mandarin)
MembershipsGlobal Advertising Lawyers Alliance (GALA) Ius Laboris World Services Group (WSG) Islamic Finance (IsFin)
- City focus - Brasilia > Tax
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity (and renewable energy)
- Labour and employment
- Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Dispute resolution
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Tax
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- International trade
- Projects and infrastructure
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Tax advisory
- Wealth and succession planning
- City focus - Brasilia > Public law and regulation
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Labour
- Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- Tax litigation
- TMT: Media
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
- Transport: Aviation
- Transport: Shipping
- White-collar crime and investigations