Armstrong Teasdale > London, England > Firm Profile
Armstrong Teasdale Offices
38-43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields
Armstrong Teasdale > The Legal 500 RankingsArmstrong Teasdale’s London corporate team had a busy 2021, advising on more than 30 M&A deals. Team head Peter Kohl, qualified in both England and the United States, has more than 30 years’ transactional and advisory experience in M&A, venture capital, capital markets and corporate governance. Yvonne Costello is dual qualified in England and Wales and Ireland, while Una Deretic regularly advises clients in the retail, consumer and natural resources sectors. Martin O’Donoghue, also qualified both in England and Wales and Ireland, has considerable international experience. Joan Yu is another key member of the team.
‘The team feel part of the business, similar to having your own in-house legal team who are available and respond immediately with a full understanding of our business.’
‘Martin O’Donoghue was amazingly patient and calm with us taking the time to explain all the legal technicalities, the legal impacts of our decisions and steering us into a sensible position. Time was never an issue, whether on holiday, evenings or weekends, Martin was always available to call even if it was a non-legal subject. Their advice was always a blend or technical and commercial ensuring we held firm on the most important decisions.’
‘Armstrong Teasdale provides cost effective specialist advice across a wide range of sectors. The corporate team has some fantastic individual partners, and client service is partner-led.’
‘Yvonne Costello and Una Deretic are brilliant M&A lawyers loved by their clients.’
‘Commercial and technically brilliant.’
Applegreen Plc / Welcome Break
United Oil & Gas Plc
Victoria Oil & Gas Plc
Pembridge Resources Plc
VSA Capital Limited
Silverwood Brands Plc
- Advised FKA Brands on the $47m sale of its Salter business to FTSE listed UP Products.
- Advised RDCP Capital on its acquisition of a majority stake in Intelling Group.
- Advised Pembridge Resources, a U.K. headquartered company listed on the Standard List of the London Stock Exchange, on a reverse takeover of its subsidiary, Minto Explorations (now known as Minto Metals), with a transaction value of approximately CAN$ 200 million.
‘Very capable team led by charismatic leader Joan Yu.’
‘Joan Yu – Commercial and results oriented.’
‘A strong firm in the small to mid cap space with a willingness to get the job done.’
‘Nick Heap is a first class lawyer who combines a sharp legal mind and knowledge of the law with an engaging personality and commitment to the client. I have no hesitation in recommending him to corporates.’
Metals Exploration plc
Baron Oil plc
Victoria Oil & Gas plc
Empyrean Energy plc
United Oil & Gas plc
Samarkand Group plc
VSA Capital Group plc
Silverwood Brands plc
Pembridge Resources plc
- Advised VSA Capital Limited in connection with the Rule 2.7 announcement for the recommended cash offer by Inform Information Systems Limited for the entire issued, and to be issued, ordinary share capital of Universe Group plc to be effected by means of a scheme of arrangement under Part 26 of the Companies Act 2006 (Acquisition).
- Advised Empyrean Energy Plc as part of its £7.623m fundraising to complete funding requirements for a Chinese offshore drilling project.
- Advised Silverwood Brands Plc, a special purpose acquisition company on its successful placing and admission to trading on the Access Segment of the AQSE Growth Market.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team brings together years of courtroom experience, with a total dedication to achieving the client’s objectives in a cost-effective way. It has real breadth of experience in a number of different fields, from financial services, arbitration, oil and gas, to partnership disputes.‘
‘Robert Paydon is incredibly hardworking and very focused on delivering the best outcome for the client.‘
‘Robert Paydon is tenacious when dealing with opponents and pursuing arguments in court, but he is sufficiently commercial and realistic to know when to move on. He has excellent client-handling skills.‘
‘Robin Pickworth’s client care is exemplary. He focuses on the early and strategic resolution of disputes, and does so successfully and in the best interest of his client.‘
‘James Thorndyke is an excellent partner – very commercial and with a great eye for detail.‘
‘James Thorndyke is very good – personable, with excellent commercial and legal instincts, and trusted by clients.‘
‘Senior counsel Andy Kerman has excellent tactical judgement, and is a hugely experienced and savvy litigator.‘
‘Associate Emma Shaw is an excellent lawyer who gives matters 110%.‘
The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships)
Petrosaudi Oil Services (Venezuela)
Tenke Fungurume Mining
Rugby Football Union
- Acted for Michael Gott, as petitioner, in high-value unfair prejudice proceedings, obtaining a series of leading judgments that are of interest to practitioners in the area.
- Assisting Unichem Laboratories with its successful defence of a Commercial Court claim brought against it by Jamp Pharma.
- Assisted Purple Surgical with a suite of PPE supply chain disputes in multiple jurisdictions, including a €24m fraud claim and a $12.7m Commercial Court dispute.
‘The AT team is tight and experienced and has laser like focus on the actual business issues that require legal guidance’.
‘Whether it is AIM-listed company issues ,corporate M&A or restructuring, they take a position of finding creative and fast solutions that are influenced by the actual business needs of the company’.
‘AT go the extra mile to look at holistic and positive business solutions’.
‘In over 30 years with the firm, I have never had the sensation that AT are primarily protecting their own position and simply billing hours, unlike most UK legal practices of any size’.
‘The reason the individuals I work with give great service is they believe and follow the customer first mantra and on a daily basis provide that special form of service’.
‘I specifically value advice from Joan Yu, who, I believe is the number one AIM-related lawyer in the city, Peter Kohl and Una Deretic. They are always fast to respond, direct in their advice and when required will burn the midnight oil for client benefit’.
‘I would without hesitation recommend AT to new clients’.
Jade Resources Limited
Gerald Metals Groups
Highcountry Cameroon Limited
Metals Exploration Plc
Pembridge Resources Plc
- Advised Pembridge Resources, a U.K.-headquartered company listed on the Standard List of the London Stock Exchange, on a reverse takeover (RTO) of Pembridge’s subsidiary, Minto Explorations (now known as Minto Metals), with a transaction value of approximately CAN$200m.
- Providing general legal support to Metals Exploration Plc in respect of their English law requirements.
‘Outstanding team with experience across the sports spectrum, including ticketing work.’
‘James Thorndyke is a stand-out partner.’
‘The team have specialist expertise in sport and are familiar with large sporting organisations and the various types of advice which relate to this sector.’
Union des Associations Européennes de Football (UEFA)
All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited (Wimbledon)
London Marathon Events Limited
Rugby Football Union (RFU)
Chelsea Football Club
London & Surrey Cycling Partnership (known as RideLondon)
World Marathon Majors
Racehorse Owners Association
Pit Stop Brand Consultancy
Kabuni Ventures Limited
Azam Media Limited
One Football GmbH Y
Joymo AS (live stream technology)
- Acted as UEFA’s central law firm in Europe on the ticketing/operational side, advising UEFA from aU.K. perspective and coordinating lawyers in jurisdictions throughout Europe to ensure that Euro 2020 was staged successfully.
- Advised AELTC on the ticketing/operational side of the event with respect to the cancellation of The Championships 2020 and the staging of The Championships in 2021, to ensure that The Championships were staged, despite all of the challenges.
- Advised the Rugby Football Union in connection with multiple breaches of their ticketing terms and conditions, including a successful application to the High Court for an injunction to stop certain individuals from continuing to unlawfully deal in the RFU’s tickets to matches taking place at Twickenham Stadium.
Joan Yu; Peter Kohl
‘I have worked with Imran Aslam on an oil and gas restructuring involving an African exploration company. This matter illustrated Imran’s ability to coordinate a high pressure cross-border matter to achieve the desired outcome for the client’.
‘Imran Aslam thinks outside the box and shows a real determination to achieve positive results’.
‘Very strong technically, happy to share and discuss ideas, good value for money and very hard working’.
‘Imran Aslam is a good team player, easy to work with and committed to getting the right result for the client’.
‘Imran Aslam is technically very strong and collaborative in his approach and always willing to discuss new ideas approaches’.
‘The team has breadth and depth of expertise’.
‘Imran Aslam is excellent. He knows the law inside out but is also very commercial in his approach’.
‘Imran Aslam is great to work with; knowledgeable, client focused and bright’.
Baron Oil plc
Empyrean Energy plc
United Oil & Gas plc
Victoria Oil & Gas plc
Midway Resources International PLC
- Armstrong Teasdale advised AIM-listed client United Oil & Gas Plc (UOG), on its proposed sale of two UK Central North Sea assets to Quattro Energy Limited for a headline consideration of up to £3.2m, which was expected to complete in Q1 2022, however has since been aborted.
- Advised AIM listed Empyrean Energy Plc in relation to its £7.6m fundraising to complete funding requirements for a Chinese offshore drilling project.
- Advised AIM listed Victoria Oil & Gas plc on three separate financings, which were structured as unsecured loan notes, convertible notes and equity warrants.
Employment > Immigration Tier 6Armstrong Teasdale‘s immigration team underwent further change with the departure of practice head Stephen Hall to Vialto Partners and the hire of new practice head Ben Xu from Irwin Mitchell. The firm advises on general immigration strategy, and Xu brings particular experience acting for high-net-worth clients, especially from China; work in the sports sector is a key growth area.
|Nick Bitel||Nick is known as one of the best sports lawyers in Britain…||View Profile|
|Jonathan Bruck||Jonathan is a Partner and Head of UK Employment. He acts primarily…||View Profile|
|Yvonne Costello||Yvonne is a partner specialising in general commercial and corporate law and advises…||View Profile|
|Una Deretic||Una is a partner experienced in a wide range of corporate and…||View Profile|
|Anthony Kerman||Andy is a Senior Counsel at the firm, he has considerable…||View Profile|
|Peter Kohl||Peter is a partner and Head of UK Corporate, he has more…||View Profile|
|Martin O'Donoghue||Martin is a Partner specialising in mergers and acquisitions, business purchases and…||View Profile|
|Robert Paydon||Robert is Partner and Head of UK Commercial Litigation, he is an…||View Profile|
|Robin Pickworth||Robin is a Partner specialising in commercial litigation, with extensive experience of…||View Profile|
|Emma Shaw||Emma is an Associate Solicitor in the Sports and Commercial Litigation Departments. …||View Profile|
|Zane Shihab||Zane is a Partner and the Head of UK Sport, IP &…||View Profile|
|David Wise||Partner/Solicitor advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings) and Head of UK Real Estate…||View Profile|
|Coral Yu||Coral is an Associate Solicitor in the Corporate and Capital Markets team. …||View Profile|
|Joan Yu||Joan is a Partner and Head of UK Capital Markets. Joan’s practice…||View Profile|
At Armstrong Teasdale, we define diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) broadly and focus on helping professionals of all races, religions, national origins, gender identities, ethnicities, sexual orientations and physical abilities feel a sense of belonging. DEI are core values of the firm, and we recognize the richness they bring to our workplace.
More than policies and written goals, we value inclusion in practice, presenting opportunities for attorneys and staff to participate in engaging dialogue through resource groups such as the Diverse Professionals Group, Parent Resource Group, Veterans and Military Service Group and Women’s Inclusion Network (WIN), as well as through firmwide initiatives that challenge us and help us recruit, support and retain diverse professionals. From training and workshops to mentoring opportunities and social events, we are committed to promoting inclusivity within the legal profession. Such key initiatives are implemented from the top down, driven by the firm’s Chief Diversity Officer and other leaders.
As part of our commitment to inclusion, we have a dedicated DEI Department, which reports directly to the firm’s Executive Committee. Our Inclusion Committee also holds a significant role in the firm and reports to the Executive Committee on various activities and initiatives. Both initiatives enable us to continue holding ourselves accountable for this core value at the highest levels of firm management. We also distribute an annual inclusion report for further accountability.
We are committed to diversity within our client teams, ensuring that team leaders, supporting attorneys and professional staff are diverse in compliance with legal industry standards. Our clients consistently challenge us to align with diversity initiatives, and we take the mandate seriously. Bringing people with different experiences and opinions to the table enables us to better serve our clients.
The firm is also actively involved with various affinity groups, community and civic organizations that focus on driving DEI through various events and conferences across the country.
TESTIMONIAL (SPORT): “The expert, pragmatic and responsive team at Kerman & Co stands out for its expertise in ticketing and sports sponsorship.”
“I cannot recommend Kerman & Co more highly. The intelligence, patience and great understanding of sports law demonstrated by the team, has helped advise me on many complicated matters”.
TESTIMONIAL (M&A): “Kerman & Co were invaluable to us during the transaction. Their expertise, commercial approach and responsiveness ensured a smooth process. Their team was personable and easy to deal with, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to others.”
“Their experience advising listed companies with assets in emerging markets and completing cross-border transactions is second to none”.
TESTIMONIAL (Capital Markets): “We have a very close working relationship with Kerman & Co and their advice and commitment during this transaction was invaluable. They are an extension of our in-house team and they have contributed greatly to the growth of our business, since its inception.”
“We were provided with incisive advice and guidance from the outset, which made the process near enough seamless. We would have no hesitation in recommending their services, especially to those operating public companies, where the Kerman team really does excel.”
TESTIMONIAL (Employment): “In a pretty stressful situation Jonathan was superb and really guided us through the ups and downs. I am delighted we achieved the result we hoped for.”
“Expert, pragmatic and responsive team.”
TESTIMONIAL (Private Client): “I have the highest regard for Kerman & Co and the services you have given me and my family.”
“An outstanding all-round service from Kerman & Co”.
TESTIMONIAL (Dispute Resolution): “They are very good at resolving issues, they know how business actually works in the real world.”
“We were very pleased to have Kerman & Co in our corner!”
TESTIMONIAL (Real Estate): “Really value the institutional knowledge Kerman & Co have of our property portfolio, they really are an extension of our in-house team.”
“Deliver a very consistent service across the board, also take pride in developing personal relationships, which is important to us.”
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Mining and minerals
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport