Ian Carnochan > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Ian Carnochan is a partner in the tax team and leads the Corporate Tax practice at Burges Salmon. He advises on all areas of corporate, real estate and commercial tax, with clients including corporate groups, financial institutions and investors, pension funds and public sector bodies. He has considerable experience advising on mergers and acquisitions and investment transactions, as well as on real estate development transactions, financing arrangements and funds. Ian is a member of the Law Society’s Corporation Tax Sub Committee and Stamp Taxes Working Group. He is also a member of the Stamp Taxes Practitioners Group.
Ian joined Burges Salmon in 2012. He was made partner in 2018.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Burges Salmon LLP is well-known in the South West market for the strength of its corporate practice, with the firm’s corporate tax team forming a key element of this offering. The group regularly assists prominent UK clients, including plcs, with the tax aspects of high-value transactions involving companies and capital assets. The team also frequently receives instructions from international clients looking to invest in UK assets. Ian Carnochan leads the practice and has expertise in complex, cross-border tax matters, while John Barnett heads the firm’s private client team and also handles corporate tax. Hilary Barclay was promoted to partner in March 2022 and offers clients experience across M&A, reorganisations and equity fundraisings, and senior associate Jessica Chesterfield is developing a practice spanning the financial services, real estate and charity sectors. Former practice head Sarah Lane departed the firm in July 2021 to join Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP.
Burges Salmon LLP advises on fund set up and investment, real estate transactions, and corporate restructurings. Practice head Ian Carnochan is experienced on domestic and cross-border transactions. Hilary Barclay, who was promoted to partner in May 2022, has particular expertise in corporate and financing transactions.
- Corporate tax - South West > Corporate and commercial
- Leading individuals - South West > Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport