Justin Briggs > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Specialist in Pension and Private Trusts Disputes and Head of the Pensions Disputes team.
Qualified 1995; Burges Salmon 1997, Associate 1999 working in professional negligence with contentious pensions work; Partner 2005.
Association of Pensions Lawyers; former chairman South West Committee. Member of ACTAPS.
Attended Cardiff University (1992 Law and Economics); Bristol University (2003 Postgraduate Diploma in Pensions Law).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Burges Salmon LLP in Bristol fields ‘a truly expert pensions team, that is an obvious choice for high-value pensions litigation‘, with recent experience handling prominent cases, including high-profile professional negligence claims and high-value equalisation cases. The team has a sizeable roster of trustee and employer clients across the public and private sectors, with expertise in small self-administered scheme (SSAS) and self-invested personal pension (SIPP) disputes, and the related financial services and tax work. Rectification and construction claims are another area of expertise, as are declaratory claims. Justin Briggs jointly heads up the group with Suzanne Padmore, and both are adept across the spectrum of pensions disputes. Clive Pugh is an expert in pensions regulatory and funding matters, while senior associate Amy Khodabandehloo is increasingly known for handling pensions-related professional negligence claims.
Burges Salmon LLP has a primarily claimant-focused practice, covering a range of areas of professional negligence including claims concerning pensions, lawyers and surveyors. The team has of late seen a surge in claims in relation professional advice during the Covid-19 pandemic. Andrew Burnette is the head of the practice, specialising in claims against solicitors, surveyors, auditors and financial services professionals – he splits his time between London and Bristol. Justin Briggs has a track record of work on pensions claims.
Burges Salmon LLP is a ‘very impressive outfit’ that is co-led by Justin Briggs and Kevin Kennedy. It continues to act in some of the biggest and most complex contentious trust and probate matters in the country, attracting a broad client base of high-net-worth individuals including aristocratic families and wealthy international figures. Sian Edmunds is also well-regarded for her work across a broad spread of trusts and estate litigation work as well for her agricultural law disputes expertise.
Burges Salmon LLP advises a range of prestigious clients on both a national and an international basis. The team is led by both Justin Briggs and Kevin Kennedy. Briggs specialises in the avoidance and resolution of disputes pertaining to trusts, tax and private wealth. Kennedy is well versed in the representation of clients before the Court of Appeal. Another notable individual includes Caroline Emslie who handles international disputes concerning trusts, wills, tax planning and estate administration.
Burges Salmon LLP‘s claimant-side practice stands out for its work in the pensions sector, where Suzanne Padmore and Justin Briggs act for trustees and employers in litigation against consultants, administrators, legal advisors and actuaries. Beyond pensions, the team is also engaged to handle claims against financial advisors and solicitors in relation to private wealth advice; practice head Andrew Burnette has an additional specialism in acting for lenders in professional negligence claims. Burnette is praised for his ‘keen eye for detail’.
- Contentious trusts and probate - South West > Private client
- Leading individuals - South West > Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Professional negligence - South West > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport