Matthew Ramus > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Partner specialising in public sector outsourcing, alternative delivery models and infrastructure projects for both the public and private sectors. In particular, Matthew has led on a number of major projects in the defence, central government, local government, emergency services and education sectors.
Trained Collyer Bristow, qualified 2002, assistant 2002-04; associate Burges Salmon 2005, senior associate 2009, partner 2012.
Attended King’s College, Taunton; University of Leeds (1996 BSc); College of Law, York (1999 CPE, LPC).
Burges Salmon LLP represents higher education institutions as well as governing institutions including Ofsted and the Department for Education. The practice is led by Matthew Ramus, who advises the Department for Education on interventions stemming from low Ofsted ratings and advising on the setup of multiple children’s services trusts. Luke Bowery advises on a range of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters, including restructuring and strategic advice.
The expertise of Burges Salmon LLP‘s education team is regularly sought after by universities, private education providers, research and development organisations, and governing institutions. Based in Bristol and led by Matthew Ramus, the practice covers classic education concerns as well as more niche issues such as the outsourcing of education services. Luke Bowery is recommended for his experience with employment-related contentious and non-contentious matters. Procurement, particularly in relation to private sector clients, fall into the scope of John Houlden‘s practice.
Burges Salmon LLP fields a local government practice that is praised for its ‘excellent procurement and state aid advice’. The Bristol team, led by Gary Soloman, counts local authority pension schemes, net-zero, and outsourcing amongst its areas of competence. Commercial projects partner and head of education sector Matthew Ramus is regularly sought after for his expertise in statutory interventions. Another key contact is procurement and projects expert John Houlden whose recent work includes regeneration projects and carbon neutrality. Director Paula McGeady‘s strengths lie in planning, highways, and CPOs.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport