Ann Metherall > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Health and Safety
Head of the firm’s Dispute Resolution unit. Specialises in strategic health and safety and risk management, liability claims and commercial disputes. At the heart of Ann’s work is support to clients in infrastructure businesses; in particular the transport, construction, energy and industrial sectors.
Trained Burges Salmon; qualified 2000; partner 2008; previously railway civil engineer 1985-96.
Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers; Health and Safety Lawyers Association.
Attended Portsmouth Polytechnic (1985 BSc Hons Engineering Geology and Geotechnics); Chartered Civil Engineer and Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (1992); University of the West of England (1997-1998 postgraduate diplomas in law and legal practice).
Enjoys running, swimming and cycling.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Burges Salmon LLP is particularly known for its health and safety work in the rail sector, and has a great deal of experience handling serious accidents. Team lead Ann Metherall has significant expertise in rail sector health and safety and a background as a Chartered Civil Engineer. The department boasts a specialist food safety group which handles issues including regulatory compliance, contamination, product liability and product recall. Apart from its rail and food safety work, the practice also has a strong offering in the construction, chemicals, manufacturing, renewables and advanced engineering sectors.
Burges Salmon LLP‘s ‘very strong team has real in-depth experience and expertise across a multitude of legal and industry areas‘. The Bristol-based practice fields litigation experts in transport, energy and natural resources, financial services, business crime, agriculture, pensions and IP. David Hall is dispute resolution team head, alongside Ann Metherall. Other notable partners are Andrew Burnette, who has a broad commercial disputes practice, and transport and procurement specialists Chris Jackson and Ian Tucker, along with Sian Edmunds , Michael Ward and Matthew Walker . Former partner Kari McCormick joined Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP.
Burges Salmon LLP‘s team has expertise in health and safety matters connected with a wide range of industries, with a particularly strong reputation in the rail sector. Ann Metherall, who regularly advises on investigations into major rail accidents, leads the experienced group. A distinguishing feature of the department is its dedicated food safety team, which is led by Sian Edmunds. Elsewhere, the firm generates work from clients in the utilities, construction and energy sectors. All lawyers in the team combine experience of civil litigation with a regulatory specialism.
The dispute resolution team at Burges Salmon LLP combines an impressive national reach and broad client roster with strong specialisms across the transport, energy, financial services and agriculture sectors. David Hall, who focuses on construction and fraud cases, leads the team alongside Ann Metherall, who has particular transport and energy sector expertise. Experienced litigator Andrew Burnette is highlighted for his broad experience, while Sian Edmunds specialises in commercial and regulatory food and agri-business sector disputes. For transport litigation and procurement disputes, Chris Jackson, Ian Tucker and director Brian Wong are key contacts. Senior associate Caroline Brown attracts praise for her ‘level-headed approach‘.
The ‘pragmatic and responsive’ Burges Salmon LLP has a ‘good industry specialism‘ and is active in franchising matters, procurement exercises, projects and infrastructure work. The firm also provides expertise in health and safety, as well as regulatory issues related to the rail sector. The team has ‘many years of experience in the UK rail and bus matters‘ and is co-led by Chris Jackson, Brioney Thomas, Simon Coppen, Ann Metherall and Philip Beer. Ed Barratt left for Osborne Clarke in January 2019.
- Commercial litigation: Bristol - South West > Dispute resolution
- Health and safety - South West > Employment
- Leading individuals - South West > Employment > Health and safety
- Rail - South West > Transport
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport