John Barnett > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Tax, Trusts and Family; Private Wealth
Head of Private Client Services department. Provides a full range of tax advice to individual and corporate clients. Including advice to private banks, trust companies, financial institutions, entrepreneurs and owner managers on personal and business tax. Work also encompasses tax advice on corporate and business structures; advice on offshore structures and advice on offshore and onshore trusts. Experience also includes: tax litigation/investigations; advocacy before Tax Tribunal; EIS work; non-domiciliaries and UK land; international corporate work including advice to a number of clients on international holding company structures, coupled with personal advice on trust and tax planning; corporate restructuring advice on a number of significant transactions; and the taxation of development land, including general advice to landowners.
Trained Burges Salmon; qualified 1997; qualified as Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) 1998 (awarded institute medal for highest national exam marks); associate 2000; current directorships: Sixty-One CIO (pro bono ex-offenders support organisation). Regular lecturer at a number of national conferences. Member of the GAAR Interim Panel, 2013. STEP Private Client Awards chair of judges 2017-2019.
CTA (Fellow); TEP; council member of Chartered Institute of Taxation, chair of CIOT Technical Policy and Oversight Committee.
Educated at Christchurch, Oxford University (1991 MA Politics, Philosophy and Economics); College of Law, Chester (1994 CPE and LPC).
Local Methodist Church – qualified local preacher; golf, cricket, hockey and music.
Burges Salmon LLP is well-known in the South West market for the strength of its corporate practice, with the firm’s corporate tax team forming a key element of this offering. The group regularly assists prominent UK clients, including plcs, with the tax aspects of high-value transactions involving companies and capital assets. The team also frequently receives instructions from international clients looking to invest in UK assets. Ian Carnochan leads the practice and has expertise in complex, cross-border tax matters, while John Barnett heads the firm’s private client team and also handles corporate tax. Hilary Barclay was promoted to partner in March 2022 and offers clients experience across M&A, reorganisations and equity fundraisings, and senior associate Jessica Chesterfield is developing a practice spanning the financial services, real estate and charity sectors. Former practice head Sarah Lane departed the firm in July 2021 to join Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP.
Burges Salmon LLP‘s expertise lies primarily within trust restructurings, often involving high value and international elements. Beatrice Puoti is an expert in tax, trusts and estate planning for both UK and non-UK residents, as well as domiciled clients. John Barnett regularly advises high-net worth individuals and banks. They lead the practice together. Catherine De Maid is noted for her international work, with a particular interest in Africa. Tim Williams is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
Burges Salmon LLP ‘offers an attractive combination of in-depth expertise with excellent lawyers and at the same time more reasonable fees than those private client firms based solely in London’. Beatrice Puoti and John Barnett lead this large team that has lawyers who are based in Bristol and London. It has enhanced its traditional client base and now acts for a large and growing number of the international super-rich. The group has increasingly been advising on domicile-related work, anti-avoidance issues and compliance as well as major trust restructurings and the movement of assets into and out of the UK.
- Corporate tax - South West > Corporate and commercial
- Leading individuals - South West > Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Personal tax, trusts and probate - South West > Private client
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport