Mr Matthew Brown > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Matthew Brown
Matthew Brown helps entrepreneurs build, grow and sell their businesses, including multigenerational family businesses with their own governance and liquidity issues. He represents owners and investors in buying and selling companies, helping them raise capital and addressing their ongoing legal matters. He also advises directors and special committees in connection with special transactions and investigations.
Recognized as a leading lawyer by industry publications, Matt’s clients rely on him as a talented problem solver, and practical and valued advisor, with a broad range of legal skills to guide their legal needs from day-to-day matters to lifetime business events. He has counseled clients from startup and initial organization through angel and growth equity fundings, redemptions and recapitalizations, initial and follow-on public offerings and multibillion-dollar liquidity events. He has been instrumental in solving ownership and governance issues for multigenerational family businesses. He also advises entrepreneurs and institutional clients in connection with buying and selling businesses, publicly traded businesses in connection with their SEC reporting and compliance, and directors and special committees in connection with special transactions and investigations.
Matt’s clients include leading entrepreneurs, multigenerational family businesses and corporate institutional clients, and they range from innovative revolutionary businesses like the first air-to-ground telephone service to a disruptive IT-driven real estate facilities management service business to traditional businesses like scrap recyclers and chemical distributors.
Matt was appointed by former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley to serve on the Mayor’s Council of Technology Advisors and served for two years as co-chair of the Access to Capital Working Group. He has served on the board of directors of the Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center since its inception and helped establish Chicago’s 1871, one of the most ambitious incubator projects in the country, which is home to more than 400 digital startup companies. He was an advisory board member to the Clean Energy Trust. Matt is also on the board of directors of the Les Turner ALS Foundation.
JD, Georgetown University Law Center; BA, Connecticut College, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Katten has a comprehensive practice that represents a mix of entrepreneurs and issuer companies, as well as venture and hedge funds, corporate investors and family offices. The full-service offering includes advice on initial company launches and seed capital, through to larger value equity and debt financings, M&A and IPOs. The firm has expertise across many industries, with a particular emphasis on the technology sector. Matthew Brown, head of entrepreneurial ventures, leads the team from Chicago, where the majority of the practice is based. Fellow partner Jeffrey Patt has an extremely active presence in the market and over 30 years’ experience representing investors and growth companies. Other names to note include M&A and private equity co-head Christopher Atkinson, David Kravitz in New York, and Daniel Render in Los Angeles, who also has a good track record advising on sports-related ventures.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense