Jenny Smith > Harper Macleod LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
45 GORDON STREET
- Go to...
Jenny has experience of all aspects of family law, including divorce and separation, civil partnership, financial provision, cohabitant claims, preparation of pre and post nuptial agreements, cohabitation agreements and issues to do with children including residence and contact. She has a particular interest and experience in the financial issues arising from separation and divorce, often involving high net worth, complex or unusual matters. She has been involved in many complicated cases in both the Sheriff Court and the Court of Session.
Jenny is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in family law as well as an accredited family mediator. She is trained in interdisciplinary collaborative practice. She is dual-qualified in Scottish and English law.
Up until 2021 Jenny was a tutor in family law on the Strathclyde University Diploma in Professional Legal Practice. She regularly write articles and blogs and deliver talks, both externally and internally.
Jenny’s current caseload features several mid to high net worth divorce cases. They include litigated and negotiated cases. She has several cases involving the preparation of pre and post nuptial agreements and has seen an increase in the number of clients referred to her for these types of agreement.
Jenny is calm, pro-active and organised in her approach. Her aim is always to resolve cases in the most effective and cost-efficient way possible. She is an active promoter of collaborative practice but when required is a robust litigator too.
Jenny was up until June 2020 a committee member of the Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow. She was also until recently a committee member of the local Glasgow collaborative practice group.
Qualifications: MA (Cantab); LLB Dip LP
Fielding several ‘exceptional individuals covering family law’, Harper Macleod LLP is known for acting in complex financial provisions and assisted fertility work, spearheaded by specialist Amanda Masson. Featuring six accredited specialists in the team, areas of focus remain in child law, particularly on child relocation, abduction and adoption issues. Jenny Smith’s practice covers civil partnership, divorce and cohabitation claims, while Alexis Harper is the name for complex business valuations and financial provisions. Experienced litigator Karen Gibbons has experience acting in the Court of Session.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning