Stephen Goldie > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Stephen is head of Brodies’ litigation department and has 17 years’ experience of dealing with a broad spectrum of contentious and business critical matters involving real estate, finance and energy (in particular oil & gas) clients. He specializes in solving contractual and asset-related disputes including real estate, infrastructure and finance issues. Stephen heads up the Business Disputes & Asset Recovery team which includes 8 partners and 50 people delivering solutions in IP, Real Estate, Banking and Finance, Insolvency, Energy, Commercial Litigation and debt recovery matters. Stephen and the team utilize the full range of dispute forum to achieve the clients’ objectives including driving cases through the Sheriff Court, Court of Session, Lands Tribunal and Land Court. He has conducted arbitrations and mediations throughout Scotland. Commercial debt recovery, Lease enforcement (including complex dilapidations and repairing issues) together with property portfolio debt recovery are also part of his repertoire. He has led and advised on high value cases involving contractual interpretation and misrepresentation claims which have been determined by the Supreme Court in London.
He acts for oil & gas companies, private equity funds, commercial lenders‚ institutional investors, estate owners, retailers and corporate occupiers throughout the country.
Trained Bird Semple; qualified 1999; Brodies LLP 2002; associate 2004; partner Brodies 2007.
PLA; committee member, Property Litigation Association, Scottish branch.
Douglas Academy; Strathclyde University (1996 Hons), (1997 Dip LP).
Rugby, skiing, cycling.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Brodies LLP is a respected player in the market and frequently called upon to handle the most prominent real estate litigation cases in the Scottish market. The practice led by Stephen Goldie is a regular fixture on high-value landlord and tenant disputes, including dilapidations and contractual interpretation disputes, and represents clients’ interests through the Commercial Court and up to the Supreme Court. Its extensive client portfolio includes property developers, commercial clients, retailers, rural businesses and high-net-worth individuals, among others. Matthew Farrell is noted for his expertise in commercial lease disputes.
Litigators Iain Rutherford and Stephen Goldie jointly head up the team at Brodies LLP, which received a significant boost with the arrival of consultant Frank Johnstone from Dentons in September 2019. His specialism lies in the motor finance space – an area of expertise that is shared by the wider team and complemented by significant expertise in the consumer credit sector. Clients include banks and other financial institutions, utility companies, motor finance companies and blue-chip clients.
Brodies LLP is a respected player in the commercial litigation market with a broad public and private sector client base, which also benefits from the team’s capabilities in alternative dispute resolution (ADR). Its workload spans all sectors but recently the team has been particularly active in the construction, manufacturing, IT, energy and oil and gas industries. Tony Jones QC is the key contact for the first mentioned segment. Alongside construction law, he is also known for his expertise in professional negligence, while Iain Rutherford focuses on IT and outsourcing, corporate and energy disputes. He receives regular support from associate and IT dispute specialist Monica Connolly. The practice is jointly led by Stephen Goldie, who is well versed in handling high-value contractual interpretation disputes, and head of the banking and financial services litigation team Joyce Cullen.
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Real estate > Property litigation
- Property litigation - Scotland > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport