Stephen Goldie > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Stephen is head of Brodies’ litigation department and has 17 years’ experience of dealing with a broad spectrum of contentious and business critical matters involving real estate, finance and energy (in particular oil & gas) clients. He specializes in solving contractual and asset-related disputes including real estate, infrastructure and finance issues. Stephen heads up the Business Disputes & Asset Recovery team which includes 8 partners and 50 people delivering solutions in IP, Real Estate, Banking and Finance, Insolvency, Energy, Commercial Litigation and debt recovery matters. Stephen and the team utilize the full range of dispute forum to achieve the clients’ objectives including driving cases through the Sheriff Court, Court of Session, Lands Tribunal and Land Court. He has conducted arbitrations and mediations throughout Scotland. Commercial debt recovery, Lease enforcement (including complex dilapidations and repairing issues) together with property portfolio debt recovery are also part of his repertoire. He has led and advised on high value cases involving contractual interpretation and misrepresentation claims which have been determined by the Supreme Court in London.
He acts for oil & gas companies, private equity funds, commercial lenders‚ institutional investors, estate owners, retailers and corporate occupiers throughout the country.
Trained Bird Semple; qualified 1999; Brodies LLP 2002; associate 2004; partner Brodies 2007.
PLA; committee member, Property Litigation Association, Scottish branch.
Douglas Academy; Strathclyde University (1996 Hons), (1997 Dip LP).
Rugby, skiing, cycling.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
‘Instilling a sense of confidence when resolving legal matters‘, Brodies LLP has impressive strength in the property litigation space. The ‘professional, concise and commercial‘ practice represents real estate funds and property companies alongside local authorities, house builders, retailers and property developers in a wide range of commercial landlord and tenant disputes, high-value commercial development litigation and dilapidation claims. Stephen Goldie heads the practice, which also offers alternative dispute resolution strategies, and includes the ‘extremely good, professional and commercially minded‘ Matthew Farrell; he is particularly experienced in commercial lease disputes and dilapidation claims.
Brodies LLP routinely handles debt and asset recovery work for banks and other financial institutions, debt purchasers and debt collection agencies as well as utility providers. Stephen Goldie and Iain Rutherford jointly head the ‘very professional‘ team.
Brodies LLP fields an ‘excellent‘ team, which is frequently involved in many of Scotland’s most high-profile disputes, most notably those arising from food and drink sector contracts, oil and gas contracts, debt and asset recovery and the international supply of goods and services. The team led by Stephen Goldie is equally well versed in handling corporate disputes and has a strong alternative dispute resolution offering. ‘Litigation heavyweight‘ Joyce Cullen and Iain Rutherford, who also handles high-value arbitration claims, are recommended, as is ‘bright‘ professional negligence expert Tony Jones QC, who joined the firm in June 2018 from BTO Solicitors LLP, and associate Monica Connolly, who has particular expertise in high-value IT disputes.
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Real estate > Property litigation
- Property litigation - Scotland > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Human resources > Employment
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport