Joyce Cullen > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Litigation and employment.
Joyce is a solicitor advocate and accredited mediator, providing advice and advocacy services to a wide variety of clients in the commercial, regulatory and financial services sectors, in courts and tribunals and using alternative dispute resolution techniques.
Clients include public bodies, private sector businesses, universities, private schools, regulators and individuals seeking advice in relation to the application of professional standards and contractual and common law duties in many different contexts.
Qualified 1981; assistant solicitor Brodies LLP 1981-86; partner since 1986; chairman from 2005-13; accredited as a specialist in employment law 1995; solicitor-advocate 1995; contributor to the chapter on ‘Directors’ Contracts’ in Tolley’s ‘Employment and Personnel Procedures Manual’. Member, General Teaching Council, Scotland 1998-2006.
Employment Law Group; Employment Lawyers Association; Institute of Directors; Chamber of Commerce; convenor Law Society Employment Law Committee; Scottish chair Two Percent Club Standing Group; governor The New School Butterstone.
Leith Academy, Edinburgh; Dundee University (LLB).
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Based out of Edinburgh, Brodies LLP‘s litigation practice has strength in depth, fielding a large team which has been bolstered by several internal promotions and lateral hires including Gareth Hale from Dentons and Craig Watt who was elevated to the partnership. The team stands out for its expertise in the energy, construction and IT sectors with practice head Iain Rutherford being the contact for IP/IT mandates. Co-head Stephen Goldie acts on high-value contractual disputes and is supported by a strong bench of partners including experienced litigator Jared Oyston who has appeared before the High Court and Supreme Court; he is recommended for energy- and insolvency-related disputes. Highlighted for its ‘measured and sound advice’, the group also has expertise in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) work, handling both domestic and international mediation. In Aberdeen, Kenneth MacDonald leads the firm-wide international arbitration practice and has a strong track record in handling complex disputes for corporates. Senior associate Monica Connolly specialises in IP and tech disputes. Elsewhere, Tony Jones KC and Joyce Cullen continue to be preeminent practitioners.
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Hall of Fame - Scotland > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport