David Browne > Shakespeare Martineau LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shakespeare Martineau LLP Offices
NO 1 COLMORE SQUARE
- Go to...
David is the lead employment partner for the firm’s education clients and provides sector specialist advice to universities and colleges.
David regularly provides clients with strategic advice on issues such as major restructures; TUPE; and trade union relations. David also undertakes a significant amount of contentious work for both education and non-education clients, including representation at employment tribunals, the EAT and the Court of Appeal.
“I appreciate that clients look to me to provide solutions, and not to simply quote the law. This is at the forefront of my mind in the work I do; my starting point is to identify the solution sought and to work back from there in order to deliver it.”
Shakespeare Martineau LLP has considerable strength in the education sector. The group continues to act in some high profile and sensitive matters such as advising on international collaborations between UK universities and partners overseas, large restructuring exercises and senior management departures. In addition it has a flourishing ‘third sector’ client base and has some skilled litigators who are recommended for their work on large discrimination cases. David Browne has a first-rate reputation for his work with education clients. Tom Long specialises in defending complex Employment Tribunal litigation and Michael Hibbs is another excellent employment practitioner. Matt McDonald joined the team from Pinsent Masons LLP.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP‘s ‘excellent’ team handles a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters involving universities and other education clients; its expertise in governance issues, employment mandates and large-scale projects is particularly strong. Smita Jamdar has over two decades of experience in governance and constitutional law matters affecting higher education clients. David Browne stands out for his comprehensive employment law practice, which includes handling highly sensitive matters on behalf of education clients including allegations of sexual misconduct and staff terminations. Geraldine Swanton is also recommended.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant