David Browne > Shakespeare Martineau LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shakespeare Martineau LLP Offices
NO 1 COLMORE SQUARE
- Go to...
David is the lead employment partner for the vast majority of the firm’s education clients and has provided sector specialist advice to universities and colleges for over ten years. He maintains a high profile in the FE and HE sectors and is a regular speaker at University HR and Association of Colleges conferences.
David regularly provides clients with strategic advice on issues such as major restructures; TUPE; and trade union relations.
David also undertakes a significant amount of contentious work for both education and non-education clients, including representation at employment tribunals, the EAT and the Court of Appeal.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP‘s practice is led by the ‘excellent‘ Smita Jamdar, who advises higher education bodies on regulatory, constitutional, governance and student-related matters. The team is experienced in handling high-value, complex and often sensitive matters pertaining to students, an area where Geraldine Swanton is a particular specialist. Other key members of the group include Birmingham-based Joanna Forbes; employment lawyer Tom Long, who specialises in advising large public sector clients on whistleblowing and discrimination; David Browne; and Ruth Phillips.
Praised for its ‘deep knowledge of education law‘, Shakespeare Martineau LLP has outstanding expertise in advising higher education clients on a range of matters, including employment, data protection, governance, student and university relationships, development and construction. The team is particularly strong in employment litigation and handles unfair and constructive dismissal proceedings, whistleblowing, discrimination, and harassment claims as well as other senior management and student disputes. Practice head Smita Jamdar ‘carries much credence and respect‘ in the sector, and is supported on the employment side by lead employment partner David Browne and employment litigator Tom Long. Director Geraldine Swanton and Joanna Forbes are also recommended for their ‘insightful, pragmatic and clear advice‘.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- Human resources > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Human resources > Employment
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant