Bernadette Baker > Birketts LLP > Norwich, England > Lawyer Profile
Birketts LLP Offices
1 GILDERS WAY
- Go to...
Commercial litigation, Contentious Trusts and Probate
Bernadette joined Birketts in 2004. She is a Partner in our Dispute Resolution Team and undertakes a range of contentious work in addition to her specialist area of contentious trust and probate. Bernadette qualified as a Solicitor in September 2004.
She is a member of ACTAPS – the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists and regularly advises and acts for beneficiaries and executors in relation to:
- entitlement under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- will disputes arising from allegations of undue influence, lack of testamentary capacity, invalid procedure or fraud
- executors responsibilities
- negligently drafted wills
- personal liability of trustees
- applications for the substitution and removal of personal representatives
- contested powers of attorney
- applications to the Court for directions, accounts and inquiries.
Bernadette provides initial advice and assessment without charge, particularly in the area of potential Inheritance Act claims and can offer a range of funding options.
She is a member of ACTAPS – the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The Norwich office of Birketts LLP has a stellar reputation in private wealth disputes, including Inheritance Act matters, charitable legacy disputes, challenges to the validity of wills and TOLATA claims. Longstanding ACTAPS member Bernadette Baker leads the practice and, according to clients, ‘not only has the experience required in this area, but she listens to her clients, takes careful account of the evidence and the law, and works very closely with counsel to protect her clients’ interests‘. ‘Friendly and professional‘ senior associate Marie McMahon and commercial litigator Max Roessler also play key roles in the practice.
Birketts LLP has a strong regional presence through its offices in Cambridge, Ipswich and Norwich, though it also provides insurance litigation services through its Chelmsford and London offices. The firm acts predominantly for claimants in their grievances against solicitors and accounts, and it has a busy niche practice in negligent probate matters. The team can draw on the skills of commercial litigators Laurence Weeks and Sara Sayer in Cambridge to advise clients across the UK. Norwich-based Bernadette Baker handles negligence cases involving wills, trusts and probate.
The team at Birketts LLP works on trust disputes, validity of wills, charitable legacy disputes, as well as cases concerning financial abuse of the vulnerable and powers of attorney, balancing ‘a very strong corporate and professional approach with one of compassion and sensitivity’. The team is led by Bernadette Baker from Norwich. Key figures in Chelmsford include ‘authoritative and sensitive‘ associate Jenny Howe and commercial litigator Daden Hunt.
- Contentious trusts and probate - East Anglia > Private client
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Professional negligence - East Anglia > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Transport > Transport and shipping