Jason Saiban > Charles Russell Speechlys LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP Offices
5 FLEET PLACE
- Go to...
Retail and leisure, sport, technology, media and telecommunications; commercial.
Jason is a commercial contracts specialist, with a focus on TMT, sport, and retail and leisure. In TMT, he has particular expertise in outsourcing, managed services, logistics, procurement and licensing, and acts for a number of software developers and procurers of technology. In sport, Jason has significant experience in sponsorship, digital media, merchandising, endorsements and event management work. He is the relationship partner for a number of the firm’s key sports clients, ranging from international sports brands to leading sports agencies. His retail practice is focused on franchising, distribution, supply and logistics. Clients in the retail space include brands, restaurant chains and manufacturers. Jason’s client base ranges from large multinationals to start-ups and entrepreneurs. He regularly speaks at conferences, particularly on sponsorship matters.
Visiting lecturer at De Montfort University on sports contract matters.
Director and secretary of the British Association for Sports and Law; head of the AEL (Association of European Lawyers) Sports Law Special Interest Group.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP’s team of specialist commercial contract practitioners has notable expertise in the sport, retail and TMT sectors, acting for a client base which encompasses start-ups and major corporates; key examples include Nike, Caffe Nero and Wagamama. The group also leverages its global network to assist clients with cross-border mandates; Mark Hill operates from the firm’s Dubai office. Key individuals in the practice include Jason Saiban, who leads the sport, retail and tech group; commercial group head Mark Bailey, and Megan Paul, who specialises in outsourcing transactions.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP’s retail offering distinguishes itself through its longstanding track record in commercial, IP and technology-related matters. It regularly receives instructions concerning commercial contracts, advertising and marketing work, e-commerce-related issues, and trade mark advice and infringement. Leading the wider sports, retail and tech group that includes the retail practice, Jason Saiban frequently advises high-profile clients on high-end commercial contracts, which is also a strong suit of Megan Paul‘s. Edward Craig stands out for his knowledge of luxury retail brands, Michael Powner primarily advises food and beverage clients and Mary Bagnall specialises in IP issues.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP works with a wide range of hospitality and leisure clients, including many household names. Recent work has focused on advising clients on the implications of the pandemic, as well as real estate, finance and employment matters. The lead UK partners are corporate employment lawyer Michael Powner and real estate head Lee Medlock. Jason Saiban works with some of the team’s best-known clients on commercial matters, while senior associate Caroline Swain leads the firm’s food and beverage team; she is also a commercial contracts specialist. Sarah Morley, who co-heads the office occupiers group, is another key name. The team caters to international clients by working in tandem with real estate specialist Simon Green in Hong Kong; he heads up the hotels and hospitality practice across Asia and the Middle East.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP is home to ‘strength in depth which permits it to cover a number of different areas’. The practice runs a far-reaching caseload in terms of industries, matter types and jurisdictions, though counts sporting-related integrity, rights and marketing among its foremost fields of focus, and also fields a dedicates SportsTech practice, fronted by Jody MacDonald. Jason Saiban is a specialist in sponsorship, merchandising, advertising and market mandates, notably serving as relationship partner to Nike, and co-heads the department alongside Nic Couchman, a lawyer who has recently deployed his formidable commercial rights expertise on behalf of Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford; their team includes corporate sports law practitioner, Satish Khandke, as well as Edward Craig who hones his focus on the contentious field with niche expertise in equine matters. Beyond partner level, senior associate Danielle Sharkey ‘goes the extra mile’ when advising governing bodies on litigious, regulatory and integrity matters.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP’s ‘proactive and creative’ media and entertainment group has particular expertise in the film and TV, advertising and marketing, and gaming and interactive content industries. The practice is led by commercial contracts specialist Jason Saiban, who is experienced in handling advertising and marketing matters, particularly for sports, retail and leisure sector brands. The practice leverages its international reach to handle cross-border matters, particularly in the Middle East. Also notable is that it benefits from the experience of the firm’s competition, corporate, data privacy, regulatory and litigation practice groups. Jaclyn Wilkins left to join Comcast.
- Leading individuals - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Sport - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Commercial contracts - London > Corporate and commercial
- Media and entertainment (including media finance) - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Retail and consumer - London > Industry focus
- Hospitality and leisure - London > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Art and cultural property
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Private client > Court of protection
- Private client > Family: mediation
- Public sector > Healthcare
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Residential property
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Investment fund formation and management > Listed funds
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Employment > Senior executives
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Real estate > Planning
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Employment > Employers
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Real estate > Property finance
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency