James Needham > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
James is a real estate lawyer specialising in commercial development, funding and strategic land. James has particular experience acting for developers in forward funded pre-let developments and on the preparation, servicing and phased disposal of strategic mixed use and residential sites.
His recent experience includes advising:
- a national developer on the acquisition, pre-let and forward funding of a £38 million logistics hub in the West Midlands;
- an international logistics company taking a lease of a purpose-built automated warehousing and office facility at a major new logistics park in the East Midlands;
- a private investment company on securing a long-term option and promotion agreement for a 400 acre strategic development site in Staffordshire;
- a major UK lending institution on an £18 million development and investment facility secured against a portfolio of 34 commercial properties; and
- a West Midlands based property investment vehicle on the £70 million refinancing and redevelopment of a flagship office building in central Birmingham.
James joined Shoosmiths from Wragge & Co (now Gowlings) in 2004 and was made a partner in the firm’s real estate practice in 2012.
Loughborough Grammar School; Nottingham University (2000 LLB First Class)
Drawing on its robust national footprint, Shoosmiths LLP is rated by clients for its active commercial development practice, as well as its burgeoning residential and corporate occupier offerings. Department head Jason Jackson is a central figure within the West Midlands logistics and residential development practice, working with some of the market’s leading entities on transactions and advisory matters. James Needham , another name to note in the logistics development space, chiefly advises major UK institutions and foreign investors on pre-let and forward funded transactions. Birmingham office head Beth McArdle maintains an active corporate occupier practice, often negotiating head office leases for various public companies. Real estate finance team head Tim Flight is especially noted for his experience in the care home, student development and healthcare sectors. Senior associate Sophie Jack is also recommended.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant