Ms Loh Mei Mei > Zul Rafique & Partners > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Lawyer Profile
Zul Rafique & Partners Offices
D3-3-8 SOLARIS DUTAMAS
NO 1 JALAN DUTAMAS 1
50480 KUALA LUMPUR
- Go to...
Ms Loh Mei Mei
Banking & Finance, Islamic Finance, Capital Markets
Loh Mei Mei is the head of the Banking & Finance Practice Group. She specialises in corporate banking, syndications, structured finance, project finance, Islamic finance, debt capital market, Sukuk issuance and asset-backed securitisation in both domestic as well as cross-border financing.
Mei Mei has advised on some of the largest and most complex landmark financing transactions in Malaysia, both conventional and Islamic financing. Due to her extensive experience and in-depth knowledge, she is frequently consulted by financial institutions, corporations and regulatory authorities to advise on new innovative products and financing structures and policy guidelines which enable her to stay in the forefront of new developments.
Mei Mei was admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia in 1987. In 1988, she was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya. Prior to joining ZUL RAFIQUE & partners, she practiced law at another large Malaysian law firm and thereafter was the general counsel at an international bank. Having been a general counsel for a leading international bank for several years as well as being a committee member of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Banking Committee of Malaysia, Mei Mei is well regarded for her commercial acumen in financing transactions which together formed a strong foundation in her understanding of the business and financial aspect of financing transactions.
• Named in IFLR1000 Asia Best Lawyers 2020 – an elite chohort of 120 leading transactional experts in local markets
• Named in IFLR1000 2020 as Market Leader in Banking & Finance and Capital Market
• Named in IFLR1000’s Women Leaders 2020 – an elite cohort of the 300 leading female transactional experts in local markets
• Named in Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 as Leading Individual in Band 1 in Banking & Finance in Malaysia and in Band 2 in Islamic Finance Asia Pacific
• Named in Asialaw Profiles 2020 as Elite Practitioner in Banking & Finance and Capital Markets
• Named in Legal 500 2020 as Leading Individual in Banking & Finance
• Named in Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets 2020 as a leading capital markets lawyer
• Named in the A-List Malaysia’s Top 100 Lawyers by the Asia Business Law Journal
English and Bahasa Malaysia
Mei Mei graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree and a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree from Monash University, Victoria, Australia.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Headed by Loh Mei Mei, the Islamic finance team at Zul Rafique & Partners assists clients with a broad range of Sharia principles. Specifically, this includes: Musyarakah, Mudharaba, Murabaha, Istisna, Wakalah, Musawamah and Ijarah matters. A notable recent case concerns the firm’s work for Maybank and United Overseas on an unrated medium term notes programme (up to RM682.5 Million). The firm also includes corporate banking specialist Kung Suan Im, debt capital market expert Celine Rangithan and Sukuk practitioners Ashela Ramaya and Chan Kwan Hoe.
Capital markets issues at Zul Rafique & Partners are handled by the firm’s banking and finance Group. Counting Bahrain Mumtalakat and Allied Irish Bank as recent client wins, it is also known for its work on behalf of HSBC, Bank of China and Standard Chartered. It covers: Islamic financing, cross-border lending, issuance of debt instruments, offshore syndication and asset-backed securitisation. A recent standout case is its role in advising CIMB Investment Bank on a medium term notes programme granted to Semangkuk 2. This high value deal involved the acquisition of industrial warehouses and logistic properties in Malaysia. Recommended lawyers: Loh Mei Mei, Kung Suan Im, Ashela Ramaya, Chan Kwan Hoe and Celine Rangithan.
Five partners direct the banking and finance offering at Zul Rafique & Partners: Loh Mei Mei, Kung Suan Im, Ashela Ramaya, Chan Kwan Hoe and Celine Rangithan. Described as: ‘very well versed in finance transactions’, it holds Bank of China, HSBC Group and Cathay United as key clients. Matters handled include: Islamic financing, offshore lending, international issuance of debt instruments, domestic syndication, asset-backed securitisation and project financing. A characteristic highlight is the firm’s work for Genting Malaysia on a Senior Secured Bridge Term Loan Facility of USD350 million.
- Banking and finance - Malaysia
- Capital markets - Malaysia
- Hall of Fame - Malaysia > Banking and finance
- Islamic finance - Malaysia
- Leading individuals - Malaysia > Capital markets
- Leading individuals - Malaysia > Islamic finance