Hogan Lovells International LLP > Shanghai, China > Firm Profile
Hogan Lovells International LLP Offices
PARK PLACE, 18TH FLOOR
1601 NANJING ROAD WEST
Hogan Lovells International LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsHogan Lovells International LLP has an impressive track record in patent linkage and term extension, as well as the protection of employee-related trade secrets, where the team is the first port of call to clients operating in the healthcare, internet and tech sectors. Furthermore, IP litigation is an area of strength thanks to the firm’s associated law firm in the Shanghai Free Trade Zone called Hogan Lovells Fidelity. Leading the team are three partners spread across China. In Beijing, the dual-qualified (China and US) head of Asia IPMT Helen Xia is an expert in IP litigation, portfolio management, obtaining and enforcing IP rights, and commercial licensing. In Shanghai, Zhen (Katie) Feng specialises in IP disputes and brand protection work; and head of the IPMT Hong Kong team Eugene Low. Other recommended individuals include counsels Grace Guo (Beijing), whose practice ranges from trademarks and copyright to domain names, patents and trade secrets; and Yu-An Chang (Shanghai), a regular advisor to international and Chinese companies on the procurement, protection, enforcement and commercialisation of IP assets.
Helen Xia; Zhen (Katie) Feng; Eugene Low
‘We work mainly with partner Helen Xia and her team, where especially Grace Guo, Alle Fan and Yuanping Deng, are responsive and engaged in the matters handled.’
‘Helen Xia is always available and looks after the interests of the clients with clear consideration that there has to be a balance between the actions taken and result gained.’
Merck & Co. Inc.
The LEGO Group
- Assisting Merck & Co with a cross-border litigation concerning rights in the MERCK trademark and trade name.
- Advising Caterpillar on multiple IP prosecution and enforcement matters in mainland China.
- Advising the world-renowned movie studio MGM on various trademark prosecution and enforcement actions in relation to its several core movie and merchandising brands.
China > TMT: foreign firms Tier 1Hogan Lovells International LLP offers a wide range of expertise, spanning corporate and finance, IPMT, global regulatory, litigation, and employment. The firm addresses key areas like privacy, cybersecurity, fintech, and blockchain, offering services such as market access analysis, regulatory counsel, and compliance report drafting. Spearheaded by Mark Parsons from Hong Kong, the team includes Sherry Gong, who excels in data privacy, cybersecurity, and e-commerce, guiding multinationals through intricate cross-border undertakings. Don Williams supports TMT companies across all stages from startup to mature public company, encompassing areas such as VC/PE financing and M&A. Tong Zhu specialises in data privacy and e-commerce in China, offering advice on data-related challenges including data localisation and IT structure implications. Flora Feng aids foreign enterprises in navigating regulatory matters in China, notably in cybersecurity and personal data protection arenas, while Lu Zhou represents multinational corporations and PE fund clients in cross-border M&A, venture capital investments, and restructuring.
‘What impresses me the most is how diligent the HL team is in handling client requests. They always handle billing properly and in a timely manner, which helps us a lot in terms of budget control.’
‘The core lawyers we work with are Tommy Liu and Mark Parsons. Not only are they very professional in the field of legal practice, but the team is always able to solve problems raised by clients in every possible way.’
Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
USANA Health Science Inc.
- Advised Kuaishou on its: multi-jurisdictional and global data compliance project; and launch of its live streaming video in various jurisdictions globally.
- Advising HKEX on an ongoing basis in relation to data protection and electronic execution aspects of Project FINI (Fast Interface for New Issuance), to comprehensively streamline and digitalise Hong Kong’s Initial Public Offering settlement process.
- Assisting USANA on a global data protection compliance program to conduct a full-aspect evaluation on the compliance of USANA’s data processing operations in its markets.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm boasts transnational networks and has an international perspective on issues.’
‘Adrian Emch has a profound background in EU competition law and more than ten years of experience in practicing Chinese antimonopoly law. When advising on competition law for our European company in China, his advantages are unsurpassed by any Chinese lawyer. Adrian has always maintained an excellent professional level, fast response speed, and provided us with pragmatic, concise, and implementable legal opinions.’
- Advised Stumpf Group on the global antitrust filings of selling a minority shareholding in the Exyte Group to funds managed by BDT Capital Partners.
‘The team has strong interpersonal relationships and negotiation skills.‘
‘Detail oriented and always available.‘
‘Aldo Boni De Nobili stand out for his skillset.‘
Renrui Human Resources Technology Holdings Limited
Bending Spoons S.p.A.
Glory Star New Media Group Holdings Limited
Ping An Global Voyager Fund
Global Founders Capital/Rocket Internet
- Advised Ping An Global Voyager Fund, as lead investor, on the approximately $100m initial closing of the Series E financing of Visby Medical.
- Advised Bending Spoons on the Chinese aspects of its acquisition of US tech company Evernote Corporation.
- Advised Global Founders Capital/Rocket Internet on investments and other matters in relation to over 400 portfolio companies.
Stephanie Tang; Don Williams
Ping An Global Voyager Fund
Glory Star New Media Group Holdings Limited (Nasdaq: GSMG)
- Advised Ping An Global Voyager Fund, as the lead investor, in the $100m initial closing of the Series E financing of Visby Medical.
- Represented GuanData in its Series C financing of $45m, led by Tiger Global Fund, followed by Sequoia China, Linear Capital, Xiang He Capital and Unicorn Capital Partners.
- Acted as the US counsel to the special committee of the board of directors of Glory Star New Media Group Holdings Limited, in connection with the going-private transaction led by its founder.
‘Work ethic, intellectual commitment to client service, and ability to get things done.’
‘Calvin Ding is a rising star, one of the best US trained lawyers in China, especially when it comes to internal investigations.’
‘Hogan Lovells is our go-to law firm for wider APAC data privacy, commercial and general regulatory work.’
‘The team is based in Hong Kong, co-led by Mark Parsons and Tommy Liu, and adopts a practical approach when handling complicated regulatory and compliance work and is able to navigate clients on implementing measures and handling business requests.’
‘Tommy Liu handles client relationship management, daily legal work, billing and other correspondence with our team in a professional manner, but also with a personal touch.’
ESGTech Pte. Ltd.
The Hong Kong Association of Banks, the trade organization representing banks in Hong Kong
Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
- Advised Kuaishou on its: (1) multi-jurisdictional and global data compliance project; and (2) launch of its live streaming video in various jurisdictions globally.
- Advised Singapore-headquartered start-up technology service provider ESG Tech on the launch of its next generation utility data exchange platform.
- Advised the Hong Kong Association of Banks (HKAB) in relation to the launch of Hong Kong’s Multiple Credit Reference Agency Model (MCRA).
Hogan Lovells International LLP > Firm Profile
Change is happening faster than ever, and to stay ahead, you need to anticipate what’s next. Legal challenges come from all directions. We understand and work together with you to solve the toughest legal issues in major industries and commercial centers around the world. Whether you’re expanding into new markets, considering capital from new sources, or dealing with increasingly complex regulation or disputes, we can help. Whether change brings opportunity, risk, or disruption, be ready by working with Hogan Lovells.
Straight talking. Understanding and solving the problem before it becomes one. Delivering clear and practical advice that gets your job done. Hogan Lovells offers extensive experience and insights gained from working in some of the world’s most complex legal environments and markets for corporations, financial institutions, and governments. We help you identify and mitigate risk and make the most of opportunities. Our 2,800 lawyers on six continents provide practical legal solutions wherever your work takes you.
A fast-changing and inter-connected world requires fresh thinking combined with proven experience. That’s what we provide. Progress starts with ideas. And while imagination helps at every level, our legal solutions are aligned with your business strategy. Our experience in cross-border and emerging economies gives us the market perspective to be your global partner. We believe that when knowledge travels, opportunities arise.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds. Diversity of backgrounds and experience delivers a broader perspective. Perspectives which ultimately make for more rounded thinking and better answers for you.
Giving back to communities and society is fundamental to good business. And, it’s part of our core. We are advocates of justice, equality, and opportunity. Everyone at Hogan Lovells is asked to volunteer at least 25 hours a year as part of their normal work duties. Around the world, our people are making a difference through pro bono activities, community investment, and social justice.
|Zhen (Katie) Feng
|Office Managing Partner
- Intellectual property: foreign firms
- Life sciences and healthcare: foreign firms
- TMT: foreign firms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition: foreign firms
- Corporate and M&A: foreign firms
- Fintech: foreign firms
- Private equity: foreign firms
- Hong Kong > TMT