Bär & Karrer Ltd.‘s ‘responsive, business focused and pragmatic‘ team assists with the tax elements of M&A, capital markets, financing and real estate matters, and is recognised in the market for its advice on corporate tax law and private client matters. The department has additional expertise in tax litigation and transfer pricing work. Susanne Schreiber and Daniel Bader co-lead the team, with Schreiber focusing on the tax elements of restructurings, cross-border and domestic M&A transactions, and financings, while Bader provides comprehensive tax guidance to private clients. Ruth Bloch-Riemer and Raoul Stocker are also key names, as is Cyrill Diefenbacher, who made partner in 2022.
Tax in Switzerland
‘I feel that the client comes first at the law firm.’
‘Excellent delivery of rulings and timelines. On top of technical matters and solution of focused.’
‘They are one of the top Swiss firms to go to on any wealth management issue. Extremely experienced and knowledgeable.’
‘Daniel Bader and Ruth Bloch-Riemer are two of the lawyers in the firm that we have worked more with. They are very responsive, business focused and pragmatic in their approach. It’s a pleasure to work with them.’
‘One senses that the various partners, but also the associates, have a good relationship with each other. If a member of the firm sees that he has reached a point in the advice or analysis where he himself does not generate any added value for the client, colleagues are called in.’
ELCA Group SA
Axpo Holding AG
Deutsche Börse AG
Allianz Suisse Versicherungs-Gesellschaft
Shareholders of Ruetschi Group
Cohn Robbings Holdings Corp.
Triton Fund V
video intelligence AG
- Advised Allianz Suisse Lebensversicherungs-Gesellschaft AG and the reinsurance company Resolution Re Ltd. on the tax elements of an innovative reinsurance solution to hedge interest rate commitments.
- Advised international music company BMG on the tax elements of the acquisition of Tina Turner’s portfolio of music rights.
- Advised UBS on tax elements of the sale of UBS Swiss Financial Advisers AG to Vontobel.
Homburger‘s tax department caters to both corporate and private clients, and collaborates with the firm’s M&A, capital markets and financing groups to provide comprehensive support, frequently on high-profile and cross-border matters. The team has additional strength in tax litigation. Reto Heuberger, whose broad practice includes tax planning, M&A, and trust work, leads the department. Core team members include Dieter Grünblatt, who has significant experience in advising on the tax structuring of national and international capital market transactions, and Stefan Oesterhelt, who covers international tax law and tax litigation. Claudia Suter leads the private client team, and provides guidance to entrepreneurs and other high-net-worth individuals.
‘Homburger’s different teams are well-connected and provide an extensive/well-coordinated service.’
‘Stefan Oesterhelt is a proven tax expert, particularly in relation to financing transactions, well-connected and recognised as an expert also by Swiss tax authorities.’
Certares and Knighthead
AMAG Leasing Group
The co-ordinating-committee of ED&F Man’s senior creditors
M&G FA Limited
- Advised Roche on tax structuring of its $20.7bn repurchase of Novartis’ stake and obtained a tax ruling of paramount importance for Roche.
- Advised CSL on tax matters regarding its $11.7bn public takeover of Vifor Pharma.
- Advised Underwriters on complex cross-border tax matters in $9.7bn IPO of On Holding on NYSE.
Lenz & Staehelin‘s well-established tax department is highly active in tax planning work, particularly in finance and corporate transactions. The department provides comprehensive guidance to clients on inter-cantonal and cross-border tax matters, and has expertise in restructurings, relocations, and pension plans, as well as VAT and customs issues. Jean-Blaise Eckert, who advises both multinational companies and high-net-worth individuals, leads the Geneva team, while Pascal Hinny, whose specialism is handling national and international tax planning work for major companies, leads in Zurich. Daniel Schafer covers corporate tax, Swiss VAT and real estate taxation, while Heini Rüdisühli and Frédéric Neukomm specialise in private client work. Floran Ponce advises banks, investment funds and corporations on domestic and international tax matters.
‘Great technicality, high reactivity and close relationship with the Swiss tax authorities.’
‘Jean-Blaise Eckert, Pascal Hinny and Daniel Schafer are highly skilled and respected professionals.’
‘Deep knowledge of the local market.’
ADM – Archer Daniels Midland Company
Arlanxeo (formely Lanxess)
AXA Stiftung Berufliche Vorsorge, Winterthur
Bain Capital Private Equity and Cinven
Deutsche Börse AG
FIVE Hotels & Resorts group
Mr Olivier Plan
On Holding AG
SKAN Group AG
The Carlyle Group
Transatlantic Reinsurance Company
- Advised On Holding AG and its shareholders on the Swiss tax consequences of its IPO at the New York Stock Exchange.
- Provided tax advice on private equity transactions to a range of companies, advising both investors and target companies.
- Acting as primary Swiss tax adviser to Richemont and other multinational groups, headquartered within and without Switzerland.
Niederer Kraft Frey AG provides a diverse range of tax services, including handling litigation and negotiations with authorities, advising on high-value corporate and capital market transactions, and supporting high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth individuals. Team lead Thomas Graf, who has significant experience in the tax space, specialises in advising large businesses on tax matters related to M&A, corporate reorganisations, and financing transactions. Also key are Markus Kronauer, whose areas of expertise include securities and capital markets transactions, and Christina Rinne, who covers matters related to national and international VAT for both corporate and private clients. Daniela Schmucki is particularly active on behalf of high-net-worth individuals, and has notable expertise handling tax matters for athletes and sports organisations.
‘This team is one of the leading tax teams in Switzerland, which we especially use for their unrivalled expertise in indirect taxes (VAT and customs) related to cross-border transactions and international supply chain structuring.’
‘Christina Rinne is definitely the go-to expert! Her extraordinary expertise and know-how allows us to find (tax) efficient solutions for global supply chain challenges.’
‘Thomas Graf is an excellent tax practitioner.’
beecom Products AG
Credit Suisse AG Switzerland
Crédit Agricole next bank (Suisse) SA
SIG Combibloc PurchaseCo S.à r.l
PolyPeptide Group AG (Issuer) and Draupnir Holding B.V. (Selling Shareholder)
Julius Baer Group Ltd.
Axpo Holding AG
Mobimo (Proj Bernina)
- Advised UBS and ZKB in their capacity as joint bookrunners in Mobimo’s successful capital increase by way of a rights offering launched on 21 April 2022, in which Mobimo shareholders were allocated subscription rights in proportion to their shareholdings in Mobimo.
- Advised Axpo Holding AG on the placement of a CHF500m bond. The bond is issued in two tranches and is the first sustainability-linked bond placed by a Swiss utility provider.
- Advised Credit Suisse (Switzerland) Ltd., acting as arranger, agent, security agent and original lender, on the financing of AS Equity Partners’ acquisition of SPS Post Solutions from Swiss Post.
OBERSON ABELS SA
Boutique firm OBERSON ABELS SA provides advice to both corporations and individuals on all areas of tax law, including issues related to corporate transactions, banking matters, and financial services issues. The department is also active before courts and administrative authorities on matters of tax criminal law and international exchange of information. Key names on the team include Xavier Oberson, who is also a professor of Swiss and international tax law at the University of Geneva, and Pierre-Marie Glauser, who advises on corporate tax matters and has expertise in VAT.
The ‘outstanding‘ tax practice at Walder Wyss Ltd. advises on all areas of domestic and international tax law, with expertise in private and public M&A, real estate issues, corporate finance work and capital market transactions. The department also regularly represents clients in contentious matters before tax and customs authorities, as well as tax courts. Practice head Maurus Winzap has a broad practice, which includes handling private equity transactions, financings, and corporate restructurings. Samuel Dürr specialises in real estate matters, Fouad Sayegh focuses on private clients, trusts, and tax litigation, and Thomas Meister covers tax controversies in finance-related matters. Fabienne Limacher is also key.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fouad Sayegh is a highly competent tax professional.’
‘I want to mention that it was always a pleasure to work with them. The Walder Wyss team is not only highly efficient and professional, but they are also a very cool bunch.’
‘In tax matters, Maurus Winzap was our contact person. He advised us very competently in tax matters and compiled all relevant information very accurately and precisely in the tax factbook.’
‘The Walder Wyss Tax team was very efficient, had in a short time a perfect overview about the work to be done and was brilliant in all matters (meaning the personal contact with us, the customer, with the authorities, with the counterparty, in oral and written). The performance was outstanding.’
‘All our contacts at Walder Wyss were outstanding! Friendly, comprehensive, engaged, giving their best even if time was short. In the matter of the case, they worked till midnight to keep the time schedule, patient and still persisting if documents were missing, and had an overall commitment which can be described by just a first class performance.’
Athlon Switzerland Ltd.
Bank J. Safra Sarasin Ltd.
Helvetia Swiss Insurance Company Ltd.
IPI Partners, LLC
Stragen Pharma Group
The Riverside Company
Yokoy Group Ltd.
- Advised DSM, a global leader in health, nutrition and biosciences, on its merger with Firmenich.
- Advised IPI Partners, LLC, on the acquisition of Safe Host, a Switzerland-based data centre owner and operator.
- Advised Daimler Group on the sale of the entire Swiss full-service leasing fleet of Athlon Switzerland Ltd. to Arval (Switzerland) Ltd., which is part of the BNP Paribas Group.
Loyens & Loeff has broad coverage of tax matters, including cross-border tax structurings, investment management work, and transfer pricing issues. The firm acts for multinational enterprises, private equity funds, and high-net-worth individuals at both the national and international level. Beat Baumgartner, who has particular expertise in tax-efficient group and investment structures, co-leads the department alongside Fabian Sutter, whose focus is transfer pricing work. Counsel Rebecca Kühne covers corporate reorganisations and VAT matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Flexible and structured. Overall, working with L&L is very inspiring as we achieve objectives and learn at the same time, bringing positive energy and fun!’
‘I personally deal a lot with Beat Baumgartner, who I value very highly!’
‘The team is extremely responsive and excellent at tackling complex international tax issues.’
‘Beat Baumgartner has become my go-to person for Swiss tax matters. He focuses his efforts on finding creative solutions that allow transactions to get done, rather than simply identifying problems and roadblocks. He is good at explaining complicated tax concepts in a way a non-tax person can easily understand.’
Pargesa Holding SA’s majority shareholders
- Assisting a North American private equity group on the public tender offer of all shares in a Swiss stock exchange listed group and the simplification of the European holding structure consisting of Swiss and Luxembourg holding companies.
- Advised the Swiss, Dutch, Italian, Czech, Chinese, Canadian and US managers of a European chemicals group, which has been sold by a financial investor to another financial investor, on the tax efficient structuring of (i) the proceeds derived from management incentive plans as well as (ii) the reinvestment of proceeds in the new management incentive plan of the acquirer.
- Assisting an American group active in the automotive industry with the establishment of a tax efficient European structure consisting of a Luxembourg holding and financing company, a Swiss principal company with global trading operations and Mexican production facilities as well as a Belgian production company.
Pestalozzi‘s tax team, praised for its ‘high quality of work, responsiveness and deep understanding of business’, advises clients on a wide range of corporate and individual taxation issues, including tax matters related to bond issuances, financings, M&A and restructurings, in addition to real estate matters and tax litigation. Nils Harbeke leads the team and has key strength in cross-border tax work and handles inbound and outbound work for international clients. Counsel Silvia Zimmermann and Jonas Sigrist are also key, as are associates Noëlle Mathis and Pascale Schwizer.
‘Flexibility and adaptability to the client’s needs. Find ways to combine existing/standard topics with new/emerging trends or agreements.’
‘The high quality of work, responsiveness and deep understanding of business makes them a first-class tax adviser and trusted partner.’
‘Jonas Sigrist: deep and specific knowledge, good understanding of client’s needs, short reaction time.’
Jonas Sigrist and Pascale Schwizer are a formidable team. They remain approachable at all times, ready to provide clear and effective solutions to both domestic and cross-border tax matters.’
‘Good and broad knowledge as well as specialists. Listens to the client and provides great feedback and solutions based on industry etc. Kick feedback and customer friendly.’
‘Jonas Sigrist and Noëlle Mathis are willing to go the extra mile to help, and follows up diligently on items.’
‘Especially Nils Harbeke is an amazing tax adviser and business partner for tax questions related to tax matters in financing etc. His know-how is great. His attitude is very serving and pragmatic. He is very reliable and responsive.’
‘Jonas Sigrist and his team are highly skilled in corporate tax, both nationally and internationally, with an excellent knowledge of international M&A restructurings. Jonas is, next to being an excellent tax and M&A lawyer, also business minded and is very hands-on. He is always eager to help out and provides his technical advice in a clear way and all in a short time frame.’
AFI ESCA Life Insurance
Alpha Simplex Group
BBVA Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria S.A.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Bloomberg Industry Group
BP Europa SE
Cott Beverages / Primo Water
Davos Alzheimer’s Collaborative
Ellen Bassermann Kulturstiftung
Helix Acquisition Corp.
Johnson & Johnson
Klarna Bank AB
Phillips 66 GmbH
Plasser & Theurer
Prudential Financial Inc.
Sony Music Entertainment
Susquehanna Private Capital
The European Investment Bank
Viatris (formerly) Mylan Pharma
- Advised Swisscom as lead counsel on both the design and implementation of a new cross-border bond issuance structure.
- Advised state-owned Cantonal Bank of Zurich (ZKB)/Swisscanto on a multi-jurisdictional tax project as lead tax counsel.
- Advised Investec Bank regarding product-related tax-efficient structuring in a regulated multi-jurisdictional cross-border context.
Schellenberg Wittmer Ltd‘s tax group collaborates closely with the firm’s other practices to support clients on tax matters relating to corporate and M&A, banking and finance, real estate, and employment issues, in addition to acting in tax litigation and handling private client matters. Michael Nordin has experience in M&A, reorganisations, and restructurings, and co-leads the team alongside Jean-Frédéric Maraia, whose areas of expertise include tax litigation and taxation for art-related matters. Former co-lead Pietro Sansonetti covers auditing, litigation, and enforcement work. Senior associate Roland Wild is noted.
‘Fantastic understanding of Swiss law and practice, coupled with a pragmatic approach.’
‘Michael Nordin – very experienced and knowledgeable. Roland Wild – very strong technically.’
‘The team is highly-skilled, responsive and carefully listening to the client.’
‘Highly-skilled individuals, very well-connected.’
‘Hands on, extremely committed to protect their client’s interests.’
‘When dealing with Schellenberg, you feel that there is a team behind. When requesting advice, the individual thinks whether other areas could be impacted as well, and input from other consultants is sought and provided to the client. This is an added value.’
‘Roland Wild provides high-quality tax advice coupled with years of hands-on experience in the corporate tax area.’
CIR – Compagnie Industriali Riunite S.p.A.
European Broadcasting Union
International Committee of the Red Cross
Swiss Re Group
Wyatt Estates II Limited
Reyl & Cie
- Advised the management of Swiss watch manufacturers Girard-Perregaux and Ulysse Nardin on the acquisition of Sowind Group SA – which owns the two brands – from Kering Group.
- Representing a foreign multinational manufacturing group in tax proceedings regarding reorganisations claimed to trigger Swiss taxes in the amount of more than $100m.
- Advising a Swiss Canton on the re-drafting of the legislation for the taxation at source meaning drafting a new law, and implementing regulations including the explanations for the parliament.
Tax boutique Tax Partner AG caters to a broad client portfolio which includes listed and non-listed companies, pension funds, investment funds, and high-net-worth individuals. The team includes Natalie Dini and Stephanie Eichenberger, who specialise in corporate tax matters, individual taxation specialist Peter Vogt, and Stephan Pfenninger, whose focus is tax matters related to real estate. Hendrik Blankenstein leads on transfer pricing work, while of counsel René Matteotti covers tax controversies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good team at Tax Partner, with a strong knowledge of Swiss taxation matters.’
‘Proximity to customer and customer’s industry.’
‘Diligent work, customer intimacy.’
‘Excellent utility industry knowledge, technical (tax) knowledge, appropriate tax advice and response times’.
‘René Matteotti – Outstanding. Utility industry knowledge and quick responses.’
‘Dieter Weber and René Matteotti are very knowledgeable in their fields, and I find them to be very competent and reassuring.’
- Advised a commodity trading group on resolving a tax dispute between Switzerland and Indonesia (tax exposure approx. $80m).
- Advised a multinational group which sold its minority stake in a company engaged in the travel industry (exposure withholding tax approx. CHF300m).
ADB Altorfer Duss & Beilstein is a tax boutique catering to national and international businesses in a variety of sectors, in addition to high-net-worth individuals and institutional investors. Fabian Duss co-leads the practice alongside Pascal Taddei, Andreas Helbing, Jürg Altorfer and Urs Zeltner. Fabian Streule is also key.
Other key lawyers:
- Acting for Swiss Re in an appeal against the practice of the Swiss tax authorities regarding the treatment of gains and losses from transactions in treasury shares.
- Acting for Swiss Re in legal proceedings against the practice of the Swiss tax authorities in connection with the treatment of gains and losses from transactions in treasury shares.
Baker McKenzie‘s tax team provides clients with expertise in international tax planning work, M&A and restructurings, real estate transactions, wealth planning mandates and transfer pricing work, in addition to advising high-net-worth private clients, and handling tax controversy issues. Kilian Perroulaz leads the group, and specialises in advising clients on domestic and cross-border transactions and business restructurings. Of counsel Andrea Bolliger and associate Susanne Liebel-Kotz are also key names to note. Tobias Rohner departed the firm for VISCHER in February 2023.
‘We are extremely satisfied with the cooperation with Susanne Liebl Kotz. She always gives a quick and detailed answer to any of our inquiries. I can recommend Susanne to everyone as she is extremely professional and definitely a specialist in her field.’
‘Outstanding know-how, service level and engagement. Collaboration was exceptional.’
‘It’s great to work with Tobias Rohner. He has excellent VAT technical skills. He demonstrated a very creative and problem solving approach. He’s always available in case of urgent matters, so therefore very nice to work with.’
South Pole Holding AG
Johnson Matthey PLC
- Advised South Pole Holding AG, a leading climate solutions company and carbon project developer, in relation to the minority investment in South Pole by Temasek, as well as Salesforce and Lightrock.
- Representing Johnson Matthey, and its Swiss subsidiary, in its five-year fight against an order of the Federal Tax Administration (FTA) claiming additional VAT of more than CHF15m.
CMS von Erlach Partners Ltd. provides tax advice to private, public, institutional and non-profit clients, with expertise at both the national and international level. Group co-head Andrio Orler, based in Geneva, advises both corporate clients and high-net-worth individuals and families on a range of tax matters, while Mark Cagienard, who leads in Zurich, focuses on corporate finance, M&A and VAT work. David Hurlimann and Sarah Busca Bonvin are also key practitioners.
‘Top level in terms of know-how and experience in the field of taxation.’
‘You feel that in addition to technical skills they have experience and this allows them to be creative and proactive.’
‘Every lawyer from CMS has a remarkable knowledge of complex tax matters. The team have a lot of experience and bring innovative solutions with a holistic approach. In addition to its comprehensive legal capability, the firm has an incredibly modern set-up.’
‘Mark Cagienard is my first person of contact and a very much appreciated legal colleague. With many years of experience in the practice of tax law, he is truly a luminary in the field of tax law with a strong technical knowledge. Mark Cagienard has a great transactional experience advising on cross-border matters.’
‘The CMS team is unique in its in-depth knowledge about blockchain, crypto and Defi.’
‘Interdisciplinary team providing a full service range.’
‘The teams are well managed by the leading partner and not overly involved, only when necessary. Generally a strong point of contact with lead partner means that client avoids excessive work with supporting team members.’
‘Mark Cagienard is outstanding. Intelligent, Knowledgeable, Creative, Efficient. Never worked with a better tax lawyer.’
- Advising a publicly-listed Switzerland-based industrial group on the establishment of a tax risk-monitoring programme relating to the US as well as jurisdictions in Europe and the Far East.
- Advising a leading Germany-based pharmaceuticals and life sciences group in respect of a project of tax exemption for one of its companies.
- Advising a global-leading car manufacturer on the reorganisation of its Swiss subsidiary.
Ludwig + Partner Ltd. handles corporate tax mandates for national and international businesses, and advises on real estate transactions and corporate restructurings. Hubertus Ludwig, who leads the team, specialises in restructuring and recession planning issues. Thomas Ziegler acts for family offices and private clients, and Beatrice Van der Haegen advises on corporate and real estate tax matters.
‘Excellent staff with a lot of experience, fast and efficient handling of issues at all times. Outstanding expertise in tax and finance.’
‘Hubertus Ludwig is characterised by incredible expertise, competence and experience. He is able to present even complex and difficult issues very quickly in a form that serves well-founded decision making.’
‘The team is highly competent and absolutely customer oriented. They don‘t talk about problems, they present solutions!’
‘Ludwig + Partner has an international network and finds the right partner in a cross-border case, both professionally and personally.’
‘We work with one of the partners, Thomas Ziegler. Thomas is a very pleasant person to talk to, very good in his field, and very well connected to find the right partners, both among the advisers and the authorities.’
‘Thomas Ziegler is extremely customer-oriented and also offers top service.’
‘They are faster and with a kind of “Boutique-Style” approach compared to the competition.’
LISTE Art Fair Basel (the alternative ART BASEL)
St. Clara Hospital Group, Basel
Keystone / Sale Roth Gerüste Switzerland
Keystone Silvertown London
BS2 Group Germany
Ophardt Hygiene Group, Switzerland/Germany
AMA Waterways GmbH, Basel
MLL Legal covers a wide range of tax matters, including handling the tax aspects of capital market, finance and M&A transactions, in addition to advising high-net-worth families, trustees, and family offices on Swiss and international tax planning work. Thomas Nabholz, who focuses on cross-border corporate restructurings, M&A, and financing agreements, leads the team. Marcel Jung departed for MME Legal | Tax | Compliance in July 2023.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great firm, high level of tax expertise, very innovative.’
SEBA Bank AG
Crypto Finance Group
Utopia Music AG
- Advised Swiss Re and other major financial services providers on implementing the new tax super-deduction for research and development expenses.
- Advised SEBA Bank on the tax structuring of the launch of various structured products with underlying cryptocurrencies.
- Advised FTX, the second largest crypto exchange in the world, on the tax structuring of several major international acquisitions and financing arrangements.
MME Legal | Tax | Compliance‘s sizeable team of specialists supports companies and individuals on a variety of tax needs. Areas of expertise for the group encompass corporate tax law, VAT and customs issues, tax planning matters including transfer pricing work, and tax audits. Key team members include Andreas Müller, Peter Brülisauer, Roland Reding and ‘expert of experts’ Thomas Linder.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very fast, competent, knowledgeable and efficient.’
‘You can describe Thomas Linder as “The expert of experts.”‘
‘Very smart, creative, multilingual team experienced in issues/opportunities of high relevance to US taxpayers.’
‘Thomas Linder and Andreas Müller stand out.’
- Advised Hunter Douglas regarding the sale of shares to new investor incl. debt-push-down with a deal value of about $5bn.
- Assisted Fingerprint Group with the group reorganisation including the establishment of Fingerprint Cards Switzerland Ltd. as well at the relocation of members of the C-level.
- Comprehensively advised Swiss-Ski Schweizerischer Skiverband on the takeover of Biathlon Arena Lenzerheide AG. The mandate included a fully-fledged due diligence and the drafting/negotiation/execution of the SPA and related documentation.
Tax boutique Riedweg & Partner AG acts for blue-chip clients and high-net-worth individuals on a broad range of tax matters, with notable strength in cross-border matters. The firm has formed a cooperation with transaction boutique Advestra, and advises on the tax elements of corporate, M&A, capital markets and financing transactions. The highly experienced Peter Riedweg leads the department, which includes Laurent Riedweg, as well as new partner Céline Martin, who joined from Homburger in January 2022.
‘Able to advise corporate and private clients on the most complex international tax matters. Exceptional quality of advice, work products, and service. Formidable network in Switzerland and abroad. The team consists of renowned senior advisers (partner Peter Riedweg and senior counsel Robert Waldburger are among Switzerland’s most famous tax experts), strong young partners (Laurent Riedweg and Céline Martin), and talented associates.’
‘Laurent Riedweg stands out for his analytical and technical skills, his ability to explain complex matters in an understandable way, his responsiveness and client handling.’
Swiss Prime Site
Aebi Schmidt Group
Keda Industrial Group Co., Ltd. and Ningbo Shanshan Co., Ltd.
- Advised Credit Suisse and UBS on tax matters related to the IPO of the first Swiss SPAC (Special Purpose Acquisition Company).
- Advised Swiss Prime Site on the tax aspects of its CHF2.6bn comprehensive refinancing.
- Advising Netcetera on tax matters related to investment from Giesecke+Devrient, including advice on structuring of employee share plan and rulings on its taxation.
VISCHER‘s ‘service and problem-oriented’ team offers support on a range of tax matters, including tax litigation, M&A transactions, and cross-border restructurings. The team is active in a diverse range of sectors, with expertise across the life sciences, financial services, aviation, and blockchain industries. Christoph Niederer, who is increasingly active in the financial services industry, leads the team alongside Nadia Tarolli, who covers a broad range of tax matters, including transfer pricing issues and criminal tax law. Tobias Rohner joined the department from Baker McKenzie in February 2023.
‘Strong expertise, pragmatic and workable solutions, extremely service minded.’
‘Christoph Niederer: stand-out partner, strong expertise and experience, comes up with pragmatic solutions, result oriented, understands our situation and needs, super responsive, internationally connected enjoy working with Christoph.’
‘The team is very service and problem oriented. Their deliveries are client-focused. Working with them is a great experience.’
‘Great technical knowledge and availability, as well as a client-centred mindset.’
‘VISCHER’s team has absolutely convinced me with an extremely high degree of dedication, professionalism, and entrepreneurship. In a technically complex transaction with a tight deadline, VISCHER was a very important partner to get the deal done on time and at the level of quality we needed.’
‘Christoph Niederer: besides his wealth of experience, we have always valued Christoph as a very professional partner. He has an extremely high degree of passion and commitment, which I have never experienced in this way from a law firm we have worked with.’
‘They have a very good team; very client oriented. It is actually fun to work with their tax team.’
‘Nadia Tarolli has a broad experience and is also very client oriented.’
Rothschild & Co Continuation Holdings AG
Philippe Du Bois et fils S.A.
Relief Therapeutics Holding AG
Rocket Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Unsere Champions AG
SUSI Partners AG
Banque Héritage SA
The GO AG
Thommen Group AG
- Advised Bank Rothschild on a restructuring.
- Advising Rocket Pharmaceuticals Inc. holistically on the international set up of a European hub.
- Advising Philippe Du Bois et fils S.A. on its innovative launch of its first Initial Token Offering and blockchain project regarding all tax aspects.
Wenger Vieli Ltd advises on all areas of national and international tax law, with strength across a diverse set of sectors including the financial services, real estate, and blockchain and cryptocurrency arenas. Bruno Bächli leads the team, and advises on cross-border tax structuring issues and tax matters for private clients. Other key names include Barbara Brauchli Rohrer, who covers corporate and capital markets-related tax issues, and Dominik Bürgy, whose experience covers both private wealth mandates and corporate transactions.
‘Barbara Brauchli Rohrer is a very skilled and experienced lawyer, and helped a lot with her good connections to the tax authorities.’
‘Wide range of expertise, fast and responsive.’
‘High expertise, great network, very helpful and responsive.’
‘The team in extremely strong on international matters. They are proactive and are used to working with overseas lawyers and accountants.’
‘Wenger & Vieli has a highly competent tax department headed up by Bruno Bächli. We work regularly with him and his team, who are always available to give operational advice in a short time.’
‘Bruno Bächli is a tax partner who is always available for discussions on tax topics, and his team is also always available. We highly appreciate their desire to find concrete solutions and not to remain too theoretical in analyses.’
‘The team is very fast and clear in its communication. Always accessible and uncomplicated. I see this as a big plus compared to other law firms. Their analyses and recommendations are clear and implementable.’
‘Great team and very helpful in closing our start-up exit.’
Klingel medical metal
Shareholder of Creoptix
Shareholders of Testing Time
Shareholders of Bring! Labs
Klingel Holding GmbH
Shareholders of 1plusX GmbH
- Advised Unigestion on the cross-border tax structuring of its $160m buy-out of Home Instead Group.
- Advised 1plusX on tax matters related to its sale to TripleLift, a US-based advertising technology company.
- Advised shareholders of Bring! Labs on tax matters related to the sale of a majority stake to Swiss Post.
BianchiSchwald LLC advises on the tax elements of corporate and capital market transactions, and has expertise in matters related to private equity and venture capital work. Joseph Merhai leads the team, and covers criminal tax law, corporate tax, and cross-border tax matters. Gianni Fera advises companies and individuals on negotiations with tax authorities.
Other key lawyers:
Casino Group – International Retail and Trade Services (IRTS) Sàrl
Bratschi Ltd provides corporate tax planning services to domestic and international clients, with expertise in reorganisations, financings, sales and acquisitions, and tax-efficient group structures. Michael Barrot leads the group and has significant experience in international tax administrative matters. Cédric-Olivier Jenoure handles criminal tax law, and Sascha Wohlgemuth covers wealth planning issues and matters related to corporate transactions. Roland Böhi joined the team from Prager Dreifuss AG in January 2023.
‘Very client focused with holistic view of their activities.’
‘The Bratschi team is without question: client oriented, quick, and cost efficient.’
‘The Bratschi group are efficient in understanding the clients needs, solution oriented, and service oriented in terms of providing documentation and/or research in helpful additional information for the good of client well-being.’
‘Excellent international referrals, easy and direct contact to the responsible lawyer and its team, availability, efficiency.’
‘Sascha Wohlgemuth is a brilliant, quick thinking and resolving international tax lawyer with highly efficient outcome and professional treatment.’
‘The team is extremely friendly and very helpful. It is available at all times and give me and my company excellent support.’
‘The great quality of work and its prompt and very helpful feedback is excellent. I am guided at all times and can trust the work done for me.’
‘I can highly recommend Bratschi to anyone!’
LGT Bank (Schweiz) AG
Nederman Holding AB
UBS Switzerland AG
Deutsche Private Equity (DPE)
Canadian Descartes Systems Group
Pension Fund of the Credit Suisse Group
Be Group / Be Shaping the Future AG
DOCOMO Digital / NTT Docomo Group
Nectar Digital Wealth Ltd.
Viking Cruises Group
Cleeven HE AG
Ancient India Group AG
FBT Attorneys-at-Law advises high-net-worth individuals, banks, investment managers, trust companies and family offices on a variety of tax matters, and has notable expertise in cross-border matters. Jean-Luc Bochatay specialises in tax proceedings, assisting banks and their clients before tax authorities. Bochatay co-leads the practice with Michel Abt, who has additional experience in banking and finance work.
‘The difference with other firms is the professionalism, the seriousness, the desire to do even better, the friendliness, the connection, etc.’
- Advised on the transmission of assets to the heirs of several marriages domiciled in different countries and some of whom are minors.
- Advised a family which inherited artistic wealth.
- Advised a founder on the sale of the company.
Gillioz Dorsaz & Associés advises corporate clients on the tax elements of M&A transactions, restructurings, and day-to-day operations, in addition to handling tax audits and litigation; the department also acts for private clients. Nicole Fragnière Meyer, who has a particular focus on VAT issues, leads the team, and associate Alexandre Steiner is also a key name in the group.
Other key lawyers:
Jeantet acts on tax matters for clients in the Swiss-Lux-French markets, with cooperation between offices in the relevant jurisdictions. The group assists corporate clients with M&A and real estate-related tax matters, and advises numerous high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth families based in Switzerland. Patrice Lefèvre-Péaron leads the team, which includes senior associate Laure Rinchet.
Other key lawyers:
‘Huge reactivity and perfect knowledge of Swiss and French laws, which is crucial for our clients and prospects.’
‘Very reactive, always at our disposal and very clear and precise advice.’
‘An excellent, reliable and reactive contact with the managing Partner: Patrice Lefèvre-Péaron. A broad and operational vision of the aims of the customers. Excellent knowledge in diverse fields.’
SAPIANCE SAPIANCE CAPITAL LTD