Real estate and construction in Saudi Arabia
Legal Advisors, Abdulaziz I. Al-Ajlan & Partners in association with Baker & McKenzie Limited has expertise in contentious and non-contentious real estate and construction work and is most active in high-scale hotel developments. Bilal Ambikapathy leads the real estate practice and advises on commercial, hospitality retail and residential developments. He recently advised Thakher Investment Company on its agreements with Accor for three Novotel-branded hotel towers and a branded residence tower to be developed in Thakher City, Makkah. Gavin Witcombe heads the construction team and focuses on project developments and disputes. Ambikapathy and Witcombe divide their time between the firm's Riyadh and Manama offices.
‘They comprehend their international clients’ concerns and needs, and are able to pacify or satisfy them without diverting from the local legislation’s requirements.’
‘They are very good at understanding the commercial rationale behind certain requests, therefore they are capable of proposing various paths that can take you to your desired outcome.’
Alinma Investment Company
Maad International Company
Mohammed I. Alsubeaei & Sons Investment Company
Sulaiman Abdulaziz Al Rajhi Real Estate Investment Company
Al Tayyar Travel Group
HSBC Saudi Arabia
- Acting for Umm Al Qura Development Company on the structuring of branded residences towers in the King Abdulaziz Road Development, Makkah.
- Acting for Taiba Holding Company in negotiations with Hilton for the development and operations of a Double Tree by Hilton-branded hotel in Jeddah.
- Advising Saudi Binladin Group Company Limited on all legal matters relating to the expansion project for Velana International Airport in the Republic of Maldives, including construction and corporate issues.
Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani Law Firm (AS&H) in co-operation with Clifford Chance
Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani Law Firm (AS&H) in co-operation with Clifford Chance is a popular choice for advising on high-scale real estate and construction projects in the region. Majid Al-Sheikh leads the practice and regularly advises on big-ticket real estate transactions. Managing partner Fahad Abuhimed has considerable experience advising on public policy and regulatory issues relating to the real estate space. The team also draws upon figures from the Dubai office, including Tariq Imam, who is an expert in real estate transactions and financing.
Qiddiya Investment Company
King Abdullah Financial District Development Company
Saudi Entertainment Ventures
- Advising Saudi Entertainment Ventures on a number of real estate acquisitions, leases and memoranda of understandings as well as joint ventures with international entities in the entertainment sector.
- Acting for Qiddiya Investment Company on the Qiddiya Project, an infrastructure mega project in the central region of Saudi Arabia.
- Advising King Abdullah Financial District Development Company on regulatory, corporate, real estate and construction matters, as well as assisting with the development of a new regulatory framework for the King Abdullah Financial District.
Clyde & Co LLP
Clyde & Co LLP's team stands out for its 'global depth and reach with respect to international issues in the industry'. Construction disputes specialist Ben Cowling leads the team and has represented major contractors, developers and public bodies in arbitration and litigation. Peter Greatrex splits his time between the firm's Dubai and Riyadh offices and works on non-contentious issues. He is particularly strong in advising on PPPs in the areas of infrastructure, housing and transport. Also highly recommended is Abdulaziz Al-Bosaily, who is experienced in litigation and procurement.
‘Global depth and reach with respect to international issues in the industry.‘
Absal Paul Contracting
Ma’aden (Saudi Mining Company)
Arriyadh New Mobility Consortium
Vision Invest (ACWA Holding)
Umm Al Qura Development and Construction Company
- Advising Umm Al Qura Development and Construction Company on developing the King Abdul Aziz Road project, which will include residential units; a hotel; commercial and recreational areas; and a new mosque.
- Assisting the shareholders of AES Arabia with the sale of 100% of the share capital in the company to Al Babtain Contracting Company and Al Babtain Holding Investment Company.
Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni In association with Dechert LLP is noted for handling development contracts and lease agreements. Emad Zahrani is the key name.
King & Spalding in affiliation with the Law Office of Mohammad Al-Ammar handles a balanced workload handling contentious and non-contentious matters in the real estate and construction space, and has notable expertise advising on energy and infrastructure developments. Abu Dhabi-based Tim Burbury leads the firm's Middle Eastern construction practice. He is currently very active in advising on PPPs relating to healthcare, housing and education projects. Also based in Abu Dhabi is Adrian Cole, who focuses on arbitration involving energy and infrastructure projects. In Dubai, Moustafa K. Said handles real estate transactions, with a strong emphasis on the hospitality sector.
Other key lawyers:
Advance Water Technology
Abu Dhabi Transmission & Despatch Company (Transco)
Abu Dhabi Retirement Pensions & Benefits Fund
Dhahran Techno Valley Company
Sharjah Asset Management Holding
Shuaa Energy 2 PSC
Thakher real Estate & Investment Company
Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company
ALDAR Properties PJSC
Booz Allen Hamilton
Dubai World Trade Centre
United Eastern Medical Services
Investment Corporation of Dubai
Al Sharq Investments
Al Tahaluf Real Estate
Jabal Omar Development Company
Al Rajhi Capital
- Acting for Jeddah Economic Company on the procurement and development of electrical supply for phase one of the Jeddah Economic City development.
- Advised Reem Integrated Healthcare Holdings, an investment company sponsored by the client, Blue Apple Healthcare Services LLC, on the financing for the construction of a new landmark hospital complex on Reem Island, Abu Dhai UAE.
- Assisting Cepsa with its 50/50 joint venture to design, build, finance and operate a 150,000 tonne per annum petrochemical manufacturing facility in the UAE.
Law Office of Salman M. Al-Sudairi in association with Latham & Watkins LLP
Real estate transactions, construction contracts and property finance are the core areas of focus for Law Office of Salman M. Al-Sudairi in association with Latham & Watkins LLP's team. Name partner Salman M. Al-Sudairi leads the practice and has expertise in the aforementioned areas.
The Law Office of Megren M. Al-Shaalan in cooperation with White & Case is notably strong in commercial, residential and infrastructure-related real estate and construction projects. Adam Pierson is a key figure and has particular expertise in hotels, mixed-use developments and social housing real estate. Other notable names include Doug Peel and Abu Dhabi-based Antoine Cousin.
Al Tamimi & Company's team has 'exceptional knowledge of industry best practices and local nuances' with the ability to communicate 'expeditiously', 'efficiently' and 'succinctly'. Dubai-based Tara Marlow leads the team and is particularly strong in the hotel and leisure sector. Emad Salameh is a key name in the Riyadh office.
- Advised King Abdullah Financial District Development & Management Company on a multi-tower real estate development in Riyadh.
- Acted for Jabal Omar Development Company on a 40-tower development in Makkah.
- Assisted Raza with the documentation surrounding the Digital City project in Riyadh.
AlDhabaan & Partners in association with Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP advises domestic and international companies on major real estate developments, where the Riyadh office works in tandem with specialists in Dubai. For example, Riyadh-based Fahad AlDehais AlMalki and Anmar Al-Gharifi worked alongside Andrew Thomson, who is based in Dubai, to advise AWJ Real Estate Development Company on its mixed-use development. Also recommended is Dubai-based Paul D Taylor, who focuses on construction arbitration, and Riyadh office managing partner Mohammad AlDhabaan, who is an expert in real estate transactions.
AWJ Real EstateDevelopment
Saudi Telecom Company
- Advise AWJ Real Estate Development Company on its mixed-use development.
Hatem Abbas Ghazzawi & Co.'s strength in this space includes advising on land acquisitions and energy projects, as well as representing clients in contractual disputes. Andreas Haberbeck leads the practice and focuses on transactional work and dispute resolution.
- Advising Swiss industrial technologies provider ABB on the formation of a joint venture with Canadian engineering major SNC-Lavalin to handles engineering, procurement and construction projects in the power sector.
Khoshaim & Associates in cooperation with Allen & Overy LLP's team has been kept busy handling real estate and construction contracts and agreements. Managing partner Zeyad Khoshaim leads the practice; he recently advised Tatweer Buildings Company on the construction of schools in Makkahand and Jeddah.
‘Very dedicated team and well coordinated.’
‘Zeyad Khoshaim is very experienced and has well established networks within the market which allow him to work effectively and promptly.’
- Advised Tatweer Buildings Company on the construction of schools in Makkahand and Jeddah.