Dispute resolution: class actions (including derivative actions) in Israel
Agmon & Co. Rosenberg Hacohen & Co. is a heavyweight litigation firm with an impressive track record in high-profile derivative actions and class actions in a variety of fields, with particular expertise in competition, securities, and consumer protection claims. Headed by Yoav Hirsh, the litigation group is instructed by many of the country's most significant retailers, financial institutions and energy companies. Competition-related class actions are led by firm founder Zvi Agmon, 'one of the most outstanding lawyers in Israel, generally, and certainly one of the country's top litigators'. Uri Sorek has expertise in a range of civil matters and has carved out a particular specialism in derivative actions; he has also handled a number of major environmental claims for Israel Chemicals. Further, Dror Savransky and Tal Mayshar focus on consumer class actions and have recently been active in the aviation, insurance and banking and payments sectors.
‘This is a large, high-quality office. Has very high capabilities, in more than one area of expertise.‘
‘We appreciate the attentiveness we receive from each and every member of Agmon’s team. The lawyers know how to reach out to one another for assistance in order to provide us with a comprehensive picture of the issue at hand thus allowing us to benefit from the knowledge of the whole team.‘
Noble Energy Mediterranean
Harel Insurance Investments and Financial Services
El Al Israel Airlines
Sha’are Zedek Medical Center
- Acting for Noble Energy Mediterranean in a class action concerning monopolistic pricing in Israel’s natural gas market.
- Representing Isracard in a Supreme Court appeal concerning the disclosure of the rates applied when conducting foreign currency transactions; the appeal follows the firm’s success at District Court.
- Representing Midroog (the Israeli subsidiary for Moody’s) in multiple class actions concerning the client’s ratings for bonds issued in Israel.
Known in the Israeli market as 'a litigation powerhouse', Erdinast, Ben Nathan, Toledano & Co. handles high-value class actions for many of Israel's largest corporates across key sectors including telecoms, energy, transport and financial and professional services. The team is well-versed in a full range of class actions, though key areas of strength include complex securities class actions, and consumer class actions involving communications law. Moreover, the practice group also has a track record of involvement in headline derivative claims, including the ongoing NIS1.3bn claims against the directors and officers of Discount Investment Corporation. 'A truly extraordinary litigator', Giora Erdinast heads the firm's litigation practice, which is co-managed by Ran Sprinzak and Tomer Weissman. Hadas Bekel is also active in the practice group.
‘One of the best law firms in Israel regarding class actions and derivative actions.‘
‘Extremely professional and skilful lawyers. Great strategy and tactics in order to get the right result.‘
‘The team is very experienced in in the field of class actions, and their ability to work as a team allows them to quickly deal with complex legal issues in a remarkable fashion.‘
‘The uniqueness of this team is that they are very cooperative and they are open to ideas of others and willing to incorporate these ideas in their work.‘
‘An extremely helpful and responsive team and an overall pleasant environment.’
‘Ran Sprinzak is an outstanding litigator with a sharp, creative mind.‘
‘Tomer Weissman is hard working and very accessible; he does a good job of balancing our legal and business needs.‘
‘The firm and specifically Ran were highly available to us, meticulous on the legal research, and handled our lawsuit in an extremely professional manner. The overall experience was very positive, as I mentioned Ran was very thorough, highly available and very articulate. In my opinion, Ran Sprinzak is one of the most talented lawyers in Israel.‘
Former Directors and Officers of IDB
Former Directors and Officers of Discount Investment Corporation
Nesher – Israel Cement Enterprises
D.B.S. Satellite Services (1998)
Bezeq the Israeli Telecommunication Corp
Mey-Eden Bar – First Class Service
Shikun & Binui – Solel Boneh
Extra Holdings and Mr. Moti Ben Moshe
Pauza Coffee Services
Africa Israel Investments & its directors
Israel Aerospace Industries
Financial Justice Association
Israel Electric Corporation
Opko Health and Opko Biologics
The Directors and officers of Brookland Upreal
Nisko Industries (1992) and Nisko Holdings (1982)
Directors of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- Representing PwC Israel in a class action concerning the merger of Avner Oil Exploration and Delek Drilling. This case involves a precedential question concerning the liability of an independent financial advisor in a corporate merger.
- Representing US public company Opko Health and its Israeli subsidiary in multiple class actions, including one involving an allegation that the CEO and chairman inflated the stock price of Opko. This matter is being handled in conjunction with Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP.
- Co-representing Nesher, Israel’s largest cement manufacturer, in an antitrust class action suit, in which the Plaintiff alleges that Nesher’s volume-based discount policy is discriminatory as well as an abuse of Nesher’s dominant position as a monopoly in the production and supply of cement.
With an impressive client roster of well-known multinationals and major domestic corporates, Fischer Behar Chen Well Orion & Co is consistently involved in the most high-profile class actions in Israel. Jointly led by Gil Orion and Orit Malka, the team has a notably broad service offering, which spans a huge range of industry sectors, and covers antitrust claims, securities, toxic tort, and large consumer protection and product liability claims, as well as high-value derivative actions. In particular, the team is adept at handling cases with parallel proceedings in foreign jurisdictions, and has received praise for its ability to work effectively alongside international counsel. Of late, the practice group has been handling a number of novel international securities cases, including two separate cases involving a dual-listed company's responsibilities and liabilities under Israel's dual-listing arrangement. Other names to note include Ronald Lehmann, who leads the firm's international department, Yael Riemer and Shai Zadik. Associate Jana Rabinovich has also been singled out as one to watch in the future.
‘Diversity of skills and knowledge; highly professional, careful approach; vast experience that allows them to see the whole picture.‘
‘The entire FBC team understood the client’s goals and provided effective advice to achieve the desired results. The team is well-versed in how Israeli cases can overlap with US securities class action cases and the complicated issues that appear. They also understood the various opposing counsel and recommended effective negotiating strategies to achieve the client’s desired outcome. In addition, they assisted us (the US counsel) in fast-moving review of materials in Hebrew that could be relevant for the US cases.‘
‘Able to successfully manage the most complicated cases.‘
Hyundai Motor Company and Kia Motor Company
Samsung Electronics Co and Samsung SDI Co
Sodexo Pass Israel
Starwood West Limited
Ford Motor Company
Thrifty Rent a Car System
ABB and ABB Technologies
St. Jude Medical
Deloitte Israel – Brightman Almagor Zohar
Delek Drilling LP
Perrigo Company plc
HOT Telecommunication Systems
First International Bank of Israel
Mekorot Water Company
- Representing ABB in a NIS2.7bn class action alleging that the client was a party to a restrictive arrangement (alleged multinational cartel). This class action follows a determination by the General Director of the Israeli Antitrust Authority, and is taking place in parallel with a private lawsuit filed by IEC against the alleged parties to the cartel.
- Representing Airbnb in a motion to certify a class action filed with the Jerusalem District Court claiming that the client’s decision to de-list accommodations located in settlements areas in Judea and Samaria is a violation of discrimination laws.
- Representing Sonol Israel in a motion to certify a class action brought against 11 companies from the fuel, chemicals and petrochemical sectors that operate in Haifa Bay. Estimated at NIS14.4bn, the applicant claims that as a result of the emission of polluting substances into the air by the respondents, the number of people in the Haifa area becoming ill and dying from cancer, heart disease, lung diseases and strokes, has increased.
Goldfarb Seligman & Co. has a track record of representing major multinationals and domestic companies in the full range of class action litigation across a number of key industry sectors including aviation and automotive, financial services, energy, and food and consumer goods. The firm also has a strong reputation for defending derivative actions, and in addition to its work for corporates, it has developed expertise in advising committees formed by company directors. Aaron Michaeli and Hagit Blaiberg jointly head the class actions group, though the firm divides its litigation team into multiple discrete departments, all of which complement the firm's strength in class actions. Other key figures in the team include Zvi Bar-Nathan, who leads the commercial and international litigation group, Moshe Mazor, who heads the white-collar and administrative litigation team, Yehuda Rosenthal. The firm has also expanded its practice with a few lateral hires, including that of Ronny Lapan, who joined from Nir Cohen, Leshem & Co.
‘They are a leading firm in Israel for dispute resolution and they have particular expertise in class actions. I have found them very professional and approachable.‘
‘The team with which we work is an exceptional team with vast knowledge of their trade. They are capable of advising, litigating and negotiating complex class actions.’
‘I was very impressed by Hagit Blaiberg, who provided a very good service in a class action that had been commenced against our client. She was responsive, professional and achieved a good outcome.‘
Eilat Ashkelon Pipeline Company (EAPC)
Jaguar Land Rover
Ford Motor Company
El Al Israel Airlines
PJSC Aeroflot – Russian Airlines
The Israel Electric Corporation (IEC)
U. Dori Group
New Lineo Cinema (2006)
A.L. Ten Bis
Delek Drilling Limited Partnership
Israel Bar Association
Magen David Adom
Egged Israel Transport Cooperative Society
Harel Insurance Company
Menora Mivtachim Holdings
The Phoenix Insurance Company
Hachshara Insurance Company
AIG Israel Insurance Company
Migdal Insurance and Financial Holdings
I.D.I. Insurance Company
Clal Insurance Enterprises Holdings
Pacific Vehicle and Transportation
Albar Leasing (R.Z.)
Mifal Hapais – Israel National Lottery
Ampal-American Israel Corporation
Rami Levy Shivuk Hashikma
Amisragas, the American Israeli Gas Corporation
NMC United Entertainment
- Representing both Jaguar and Ford Motor Company in class actions arising from the highly publicised Takata airbag failures. Two separate teams at the firm were hired to represent two different defendants in this matter.
- Representing Israel’s leading car leasing companies in a total of 13 class actions involving various aspects of the car rental, leasing and sale, including the way of displaying vehicles that had been sold from leasing, charging for driving on toll roads, refuelling policies, matters concerning the payment of VAT for rental car insurance, age discrimination of car renters, handicap accessibility, handicap discrimination, and payment of damages.
- Representing Delek Drilling Limited Partnership in a motion to certify a class action against it following its 2017 merger with Avner Oil Exploration. The claimants allege that the relative holdings of Avner shareholders in the joint partnership compared to the holdings of Delek shareholders favours the Delek shareholders and deprived Avner shareholders.
Gornitzky & Co.'s class actions practice is particularly well known for complex banking and securities claims, and is one of only a couple of go-to firms for high-value class actions in the insurance sector. The team is instructed by all of Israel's top five insurance companies, and also acts for the country's largest bank, a number of institutional investors, and other large domestic corporates in the transport, real estate, utilities and consumer products sectors. Ofer Tzur and Pinhas Rubin jointly lead the litigation team, which also includes Noam Ronen and Maya Sabari. Also recommended is Harel Shaham, who is noted for his 'work ethic' and his 'convincing and well-written court files'.
‘The Gornitzky team is very professional and loyal.‘
‘The team handles class actions with great care and caution, drilling into the details and assessing all risks that can occur.‘
Altshuler Shaham Provident Funds and Pensions
Menorah Mivtachim Holdings
The Phoenix Holdings
Migdal Insurance & Financial Holding
Clal Insurance Enterprises Holdings
Harel Insurance Investments & Financial Services
Shikun & Binui
Dan Public Transportation
- Representing The Phoenix Holdings and Clal Insurance Company in a motion to approve a class action that was filed to the Tel Aviv District Court against Phoenix, Clal and two other Israeli insurance companies, which claims that Phoenix and Clal charged their policyholders with premiums for unnecessary private insurance coverages that they do not need since they already have supplementary insurance coverages from their HMOs. The claimants are requesting approximately NIS4.5bn.
- Representing Menorah Mivtachim Holdings, Migdal Insurance & Financial Holding, Harel Insurance Investments & Financial Services, Clal Insurance Enterprises Holdings in 14 motions to approve class actions against the abovementioned companies, filed to various courts including the District Court. The claims in total are valued at NIS4bn and involve the allegedly unlawful collection of direct expenses from insured members.
- Acting for Shikun & Binui and several subsidiaries in proceedings related to one of Israel’s largest bribery investigations. Following the investigation, a number of civil proceedings were filed against the client including two motions for approval of class actions and three discovery motions, which may lead to the filing of derivative claims.
Herzog Fox & Neeman is routinely involved in significant class actions across a range of industry sectors, though the team is noted in particular for its roster of multinational technology and online-business companies, international investment banks, and household name retailers. The firm's technology-sector work is especially impressive, with department head Yaacov Sharvit and David Zailer representing giants such as Facebook, eBay, Alibaba, Paypal, Netflix, and Yahoo! in a slew of high-stakes class actions ranging from data and privacy concerns to issues involving payments and customer fees. The team also handles follow-on antitrust class actions and large-scale product liability claims, particularly in the auto industry. Joseph Ashkenazi is highly rated by clients and peers alike, and Itzhak Shragay is noted for providing 'timely, practical and reliable advice'.
‘The team is very responsive, proactive and client-oriented. It could be seen from their advice that not only our legal interest is taken into account, but also the quality of our experience.‘
‘The team is knowledgable, quick to understand and respond, but still being very well prepared to discuss the subject matter of the cases, which is usually extremely complicated.‘
‘They are quite knowledgeable in the field of class action in Israel. Their advice is practical for us, not too academic.‘
‘Yossi Ashkenazi is one of the most brilliant lawyers I have ever had the pleasure to work with. He is sharp, precise, and with amazing business acumen.‘
Adler Real Estate AG
Migdal Insurance Company
Phoenix Insurance Company
Harel Insurance Company
Israel Electric Corporation
Premium Confectionary & Trading Company
DAF Trucks N.V.
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
Ashdod Port Company
Globrands Agencies 2007
- Representing Royal Philips Electronics in a class action filed by two individuals against the client and other companies concerning an alleged international cartel with respect to cathode ray tubes.
- Acting for JPMorgan Chase Bank in two competing class actions that were filed against the bank with respect to the global forex manipulation affair, an alleged series of fraudulent actions to manipulate forex exchange rates.
- Representing PepsiCo in a class action in connection with the acquisition of SodaStream by the client. The petition alleges that the client is jointly and severally liable for damages purportedly caused by the officers due to alleged breaches of their fiduciary duties and duties of care towards SodaStream, performed in the framework of the transaction for the acquisition of SodaStream by PepsiCo.
A top choice for international corporates operating in Israel, Meitar Law Offices is routinely involved in competition-related claims, IP and privacy class actions, complex securities claims, and large consumer protection claims in the pharmaceuticals and automotive sectors. The firm has the largest litigation team in Israel by headcount, but also distinguishes itself by the strength of key individuals like practice head Israel Leshem and Ron Peleg, who specialises in product liability claims and other class actions in the pharmaceutical industry. Another name to note is Nadav Weisman, who is involved in a number of major follow-on antitrust cases and is also representing Rabobank and Citigroup in separate market manipulation class actions.
‘The team is very committed, always available and meets deadlines, even when those seem impossible.‘
‘Excellent team. They have a deep bench and are very polished in dealing with clients, including international corporations.‘
Ronen Adini & Co is a leading claimant-side litigation firm, which is consistently involved in the largest and most widely publicised derivative claims and class actions in the field of securities, antitrust and corporate law. The firm is headed by name partner Ronen Adini, a market leader in securities class actions. Adini is representing lead claimants in several multibillion-shekel securities and antitrust class actions, and is also taking lead roles in two of the market's largest derivative actions. Senior associate Effi Shasha is also recommended.
‘The firm is a really the best you can ask in the field of class action & derivative claims. They are very professionals by getting into details and wording, very thorough and extremely serious, devoted about the work.’
‘Founding partner Adv. Ronen Adini has a very good hands on knowledge in terms of litigation and negotiation with the respondents and also managing the expert testimony to get the best replies over and over again.‘
‘The senior associate Adv. Effi Shaha is very devoted and thorough with the case by managing all the replies to court and to the respondents. He was digging in wording to highlighted the responders’ weakness and our answers’ strength.‘
Mr. Gil Amid – Shareholder of Bezeq
Mr. Rami Ostrovsky – Shareholder of Discount Investment Corporation (“DIC”)
Mr. Ronen Shayary
Ms. Einav Vaknin
Mr. Oded Loeble
Mr. Reuven Milman
O.E.D.A. Liad Holdings (2006) Ltd.
Mr. Lior Gal
Mr. Sarel Moka
Mr. Rami Kliot
Mr. Ron Nagar and Mr. David Ben Naim
Mr. Dror Amiram
Mr. Zohar Uzdin
Mr. Ady Klaus, Mr. Nir Mordoch And Mr. Vlad Gorshomov
Mr. Erez Theodoro and Ms. Wang Tiponghong
Mr. Amiram Deutch and Mr. Shmuel Rosenbaum
Mr. Guy Golan
Mr. Avishai Naftaly
Mr. David Aberzon
Mr. Ron Semucha
Mrs. Ira Bar
- Represented the lead plaintiff in a NIS2bn class action on behalf of public shareholders against Bezeq for misleading investors by hiding negative information about the implementation of certain reform by the Ministry of Communications.
- Representing the public shareholders of Bezeq in a NIS500m derivative suit against the company, with regards to Bezeq’s NIS680m acquisition of yes.
- Representing the plaintiffs in a NIS3.5bn class action against the Israel Airports Authority and the James Richardson Company alleging monopolistic pricing in commercial areas at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv.
S. Horowitz & Co is considered throughout the market to be a standout litigation firm, and is one of the first points of contact for large multinationals facing class actions in Israel. In addition to its top-notch multinational client base, the team also represents major domestic corporates, and has extensive experience of a huge variety of product liability and consumer class actions, competition-related litigation, banking and market manipulation claims, environmental class actions, and insurance-related claims. It also represents clients including Teva in high-value derivative actions. Alex Hertman and Yehoshua Horesh are two of the team's senior figures; Hagai Doron and Uriel Prinz have been singled out as 'brilliant litigators'; and Asaf Rentsler is noted for his experience of class actions in the healthcare, retail, financial services and automotive sectors.
‘The service given is of the highest level.‘
‘The first thing to point out is the team’s uncompromising professionalism, coupled with the highest level of skill and competence. The S. Horowitz team we work with also has a deep knowledge both of all the relevant legal issues and of the business environment in which we operate.‘
‘The professional abilities of this firm are one-of-a-kind. The firm is unquestionably the best of any firm with which we have worked.‘
Google (Including Waze Mobile)
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
Israel Electric Corporation
Procter & Gamble
Paz Oil Company
Maccabi Health Services
Shafir Structures & Industries (2002)
AIG Europe Limited and AIG Europe (Services)
Discount Investment Corporation
Israel Discount Bank
- Representing Israel Electric Corporation in three interrelated class actions, where the class plaintiffs are claiming that IEC has been overcharging and unlawfully collecting payments for electricity charges for the past three years. These claims in total are among the highest-value class actions in Israel.
- Representing Paz Oil Company and Paz Lubricants & Chemicals in a motion to certify a class action against industrial factories and storage facilities of chemicals, oils and fuel at Haifa Bay. The plaintiffs’ claim that the companies’ activities caused air pollution affecting more than half a million residents in the Gulf of Haifa.
- Acting for British Airways in a NIS613m class action filed by the Consumers’ Movement for the Promotion of a Fair Society and Economy against El Al Israel Airlines, British Airways and others, concerning an alleged restrictive arrangement in the transportation of cargo.
Tadmor Levy & Co. has strong expertise in banking, payments and e-commerce class actions, consumer class actions and insurance-related claims, where it acts for domestic and international clients. In addition, the firm is a strong performer in the antitrust space, and is involved in follow-on class actions relating to various international cartel rulings. Headed by Yechiel Kasher, the team is handling class actions for high-profile financial institutions clients including Max It Finance (one of the country's major credit card companies), Bank Hapoalim (Israel's largest bank), and Clal Insurance (one of the top five insurance groups). Further, the group is also involved in class actions for e-commerce groups such as PayPal, and other online businesses including eBay. Also recommended is Shai Bakal, who has particular expertise in antitrust class actions and is acting for international clients including Daimler and Nespresso.
‘Tadmor is an amazing law firm, with a high level of responsiveness an amazing team of lawyers with a high level of knowledge on the matter; their team work is outstanding.‘
‘Able to pull together a multi-disciplinary team in a short time.‘
‘The team has high professional ability and perfectly coordinated service.‘
‘The firm stands out in the service, availability and high involvement of its senior partners compared to similar firms.‘
‘We are getting a personal and a very devoted service, such as we don’t find with other attorney’s offices, small or large.‘
‘The Tadmor team is a good mix of experienced partners and younger highly skilled associates. Together they provide a full range of solutions and are able to come up with original and useful fixes to problems others simply cannot solve.‘
‘Yechiel Kasher is a brilliant lawyer, original thinker and a top litigator. He is able to find the weakest links in the most complicated cases and come up with original solutions and advice.‘
Nestlé Nespresso and Nespresso Israel
Max It Finance (formerly known as Leumi Card)
D.B.S. Satellite Services (1998)
Mr. Mickey Neumann
Assuta Medical Centers
Clal Insurance Enterprises Holdings
The Hagag Group
Cross Israel Highway
Metropoline Public Transportation Company
Gindi Holdings Group
- Representing Max it Finance (formerly Leumi Card), Israel’s second largest credit card company and an issuer of Visa and MasterCard credit cards in Israel, in a motion to certify a NIS7.1bn class action filed against the company. The motion deals with the underlying arrangements that regulate the debit card industry in Israel.
- Represent Daimler in a motion to certify a class action suit in an amount of NIS1bn filed against Daimler and other leading trucks manufacturers concerning the well-known global trucking cartel.
- Representing Nespresso Israel and Nestlé Nespresso in a motion to certify a NIS192m class action suit alleging that Nespresso is a monopoly in either the “Nespresso-compatible coffee capsules market” or the “coffee capsules market”, and that it used its monopoly power to charge unfair high prices.
Yigal Arnon & Co acts for domestic and international corporates in a wide range of claims including banking and securities class actions, labour claims, insurance-related class actions, product liability matters and other consumer protection claims in the automotive, aviation, food and consumer goods sectors. In addition, the firm recently merged with Weinstock-Zecler & Co, a particularly standout player in the antitrust space, which has significantly boosted the firm's reputation in competition-related class actions. The practice group is jointly led by Barak Tal, 'a brilliant partner', and Ruth Loven, who is instructed by BMW in product defect and recall-related class actions. Other names to note include Ido Chitman, who has represented major Israeli insurers in class actions involving insurance policies, and Hanital Belinson Navon, who represents El Al Israel Airlines in a variety of class actions. Niv Zecler and Sagi Schiff are among the notable partners who joined with the Weinstock-Zecler merger.
‘Very hands-on. They focus on the important things and are very well connected.‘
‘The team has the ability to handle very complicated cases and to supply the client with remarkable legal advice and advocacy.‘
‘Barak Tal is a brilliant partner, with the unique ability to lead the case safely through the courts.‘
Deloitte Brightman Almagor Zohar & Co
CAL – Israel Credit Cards
Bank Leumi L’Israel
Directors and Officers of Bank Leumi L’Israel
Bank Mizrahi Tefahot
Israel Discount Bank
First International Bank
Migdal Insurance Company
Menorah Insurance Company
Phoenix Insurance Company
Leader Capital Markets
Gindi Israel (2010) Holdings
Epsilon Investment House
Israel Polaris Industries and Polaris Sales Europe
- Representing Bank Hapoalim in numerous derivative actions that occurred due to the US investigations into its alleged assistance to American clients evading tax and violating American tax laws.
- Representing accounting and consulting firm BDO in a class action alleging it is responsible and liable for the alleged wrongdoings of one of its executives with respect to bribing foreign government officials involved in a construction project in Africa.
- Representing Strauss Group in three class actions submitted by the same plaintiff concerning allegedly monopolistic pricing of several products manufactured by Strauss.
Amit, Pollak, Matalon & Co. Advocates and Notary is among the market's leading firms for environmental class actions, and also has a strong reputation in banking class actions, where it acts for each of Israel's five largest banks. Environmental class actions are led by Arie Neiger, who is representing ICL and Hadera Paper in separate water pollution claims; is representing Bazan Group in a NIS750m air pollution claim; and is acting for three defendants in the NIS14bn Haifa Gulf pollution case. Sharon Lubezky-Hess is the key contact for complex banking claims; she is particularly experienced in exchange rate class actions and claims involving loan service fees. Doron Levy heads the practice group, and Shahar Haron was promoted to partner in 2019.
Israel Chemicals and its subsidiaries
Bazan Group (formerly, Oil Refineries Ltd.)
ICL Haifa (Formerly, Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd.)
Hod Assaf Industries
Bank Leumi Le’Israel
Israel Discount Bank
First International Bank of Israel
Union Bank of Israel
Mercantile Discount Bank
Clal Pension and Provident Funds
Aeronautics Defense Systems
Paz Oil Company
- Representing ICL Haifa, Dor Chemicals and Hod Assaf Industries – three companies that operate out of the Haifa Bay area – in a motion filed against them, along with eight other companies, for class action certification, alleging the defendants caused or contributed to severe air pollution, endangering the population’s health and leading to excessive morbidity.
- Representing Bank Leumi, Bank Mizrahi-Tefahot, and Union Bank of Israel in an NIS14.8bn class action certification motion filed against ten banks and credit card companies, regarding the “exchange rate differentials commission” collected by the defendants from their clients when converting foreign currency.
- Representing Aeronautics Defense Systems, its board members and CEO in a claim and motion for class certification initiated against them, alleging the clients failed to disclose material information to the public pertaining to the suspension of the company’s export license to a foreign customer, resulting in an investigation that is subject to a comprehensive gag order.
In class action litigation, Berkman & Co specialises in securities and complex banking claims, but also has experience of a variety of consumer claims, representing long-standing clients such as Pelephone. The team is headed by Ron Berkman, 'a very skilled and experienced litigator', who filed Israel's very first class action suit over 20 years ago. Berkman's team is rated by clients and peers for handling high-quality securities claims and disputes with cross-border components. Other key lawyers include Gilad Porat, Nachum Kobovsky, and Yair Leder.
‘Berkman & Co is one of the prominent law firms in Israel in the field of class actions and derivative suits.‘
‘Ron Berkman’s ability to handle complex matters and his familiarity with the facts are well known in the market.‘
Deloitte Touche (Israel)- Brightman Almagor Trusteeship
Amos by Spacecom
Minority shareholders in Export Investment Company
- Representing Israel Chemicals (ICL) in a motion to certify a class action suit regarding the alleged concealment of damaging information concerning the company’s harmonisation project, totalling $118m. The request was submitted by Rabka Technologies, which claimed the officers, ICL, and its controlling shareholder must compensate the shareholders for the damage they caused.
- Representing Pelephone in a class action submitted against the company by The Israeli Consumer Council. The NIS300m class action involves the alleged charging of customers for content services, that were never actually used.
- Representing Trigger Foresight (a strategic consulting firm, part of the Deloitte-Touche (Israel)) in a motion to certify a class action suit regarding allegedly misleading details in Tower Semiconductor’s (Deloitte’s clients) financial reports, totalling NIS340m.
Lipa Meir & Co handles class actions for major Israeli corporates in a range of sectors including healthcare, insurance, and technology and communications. The team has particular expertise in financial tort, product liability, and other consumer protection claims, and has also been active in environmental class actions. Among the team's key clients in Clalit Health Services (the world's second largest HMO), which practice head Alon Pomeranc represents in several high-value class actions, including a NIS4.6bn class action filed against it and two others regarding a change of formulation in a prescription drug; this claim was referred to mediation by the Supreme Court. A name to note for environmental claims is Shay Tamar, who has experience acting for claimants and defendants.
‘The team is dedicated, dependable and professional.‘
‘I appreciate Lipa Meir & Co Law Firm for their professionalism, not to mention their abilities with talented staff.‘
Clalit Health Services
Sunny Cellular Communication (formerly known as Scailex)
Clal Insurance Company
Mor Research Applications
Shfraam Water Corporation
- Acting for Clalit Health Services in a request to approve a class action valued at NIS286m concerning equipment that the plaintiff claims Clalit is not entitled to collect any sums from its members to supply. The Court, in a precedent-setting decision, accepted Clalit’s claim that it should be regarded as an “authority” in the matter of the Class Actions Law, with regard to their activity within the framework of the health basket. This limits the possibility of filing class actions against the health funds and will reduce the exposure of health funds with respect to class actions
- Representing Blistex in a class action suit filed with respect to its product sold in Israel, alleging that the company misleads its consumers through wrongful product description and false markings on the packaging.
- Representing Mor Research Applications in a NIS 200m class action filed against it concerning an ongoing noise disturbance, due to construction work performed by the client. This case is currently in mediation, in attempt to reach a settlement
M. Firon & Co Advocates and Notaries has strong client relationships with a slew of major Israeli corporates and as a result it is consistently involved in class actions in key sectors including telecoms, financial services, transport, and food and retail. In addition, the team has recently been involved in a securities class action, multiple claims involving accessibility, and a class action considering a unique point of environmental law. The practice group is headed by Danny Kabir, who is instructed by Israeli subsidiaries of multinationals including McDonald's and DHL, and also handles class actions for all of Israel's major insurance companies. Similarly, Zvi Firon acts for a huge variety of domestic financing institutions in complex class actions involving their trading and financing activities. Also recommended are Ronen Ketzef and Ronit Sutton Salkind.
Opel (SH.I.R. Shlomo)
Meuhedet Health Services
Rami Levy Hashikma Marketing 2006
- Representing Bezeq in several class actions regarding the company’s ability to provide sufficient internet services in accordance with its terms.
- Representing Rami Levy Hashikma Marketing and Rami Levi Communications in 13 class actions totalling over NIS2bn, including one concerning alleged systematic over-charging, and another involving the company’s online marketing.
- Represented Meuhedet Health Services in defence against several class actions, including a claim where plaintiff alleges not having received a major discounts on glasses he was entitled to according to the insurance policy and our client’s protocols.
Shibolet & Co. is sought out by multinational corporates for advice in consumer class actions, and also represents Israeli clients in high-value banking, insurance and securities claims, and large competition-related suits. A key contact in the team is Hillel Ish-Shalom, who has over 30 years of commercial litigation experience and is instructed by multinationals including Aeroflot, Samsung; insurers including Migdal Insurance Company; and Israeli food and beverage companies such as Jafora Tabori and Teperberg 1870 Winery. Also recommended is Ofer Shapira, who represents General Motors in various tort and product liability claims and is also representing an Israeli auto leasing company in multiple discrimination class actions. Shmuel Galinka and Joseph Benkel are also key contacts in the practice group.
‘Very good litigators, and at providing full range of required corporate services. Very high level of service.‘
‘The partners are great at maintaining level of quality throughout a project.‘
Amidar Israel National Housing Corporation For Immigrants
Harel Insurance Investments & Financial Services
Migdal Insurance Company
General Motors Company
Aeroflot – Russian Airlines
Glicksman Egg Marketing (1994)
Albar Leasing (R.Z)
Bezeq The Israeli Telecommunication
James Richardson Proprietary Limited
Women’s International Zionist Organization (Wizo)
Carmel Winery (Israel)
Eilot Regional Council
Arava Power Company
One Software Services (1997)
- Representing James Richardson and Heinemann in a NIS3.5bn class action filed against them (including representation in an application to approve the lawsuit as a class actions), concerning an alleged restrictive arrangement and pricing practices at duty free shops in Israel.
- Representing Ceragon Networks in a class action issued in Israel, claiming the company and its officers issued false forward looking claims, prior to a stock offering in July 2014.
- Representing Migdal Insurance Company in a class action, with a total value in excess of NIS600m. The case was filed in the District Court of Tel Aviv and revolves around allegations of breach of a clause in Migdal’s policy with respect to bonus payments.
Weksler, Bregman & Co., Advocates has firm-wide strengths in the banking sector, with the litigation team routinely handling class actions for several of Israel's major banks as well as one of the world's top ten investment banks. Headed by Doron Dan, the team represents bank clients in a range of class actions including those involving exchange rate manipulation and trading practices. Moreover, complemented by the strength of the firm's restructuring practice, the litigation team has substantial experience acting for banks and bondholders in insolvency-related class actions. In addition, the practice group acts for domestic and international fashion retailers in accessibility class actions and various consumer claims. Other key contacts include Yael Moshkovich and Oren Pechthold.
Africa Israel Investments
Mr. Lev Leviev
- Representing Discount Bank in a class action filed against it and several other banks for a total amount of NIS11.6bn. The motion is based on the claim that in all matters relating to foreign currency trading, the banks serve as risk-free intermediaries between the customer and the interbank market, therefore the banks must sell/purchase foreign currency at the interbank rate. The District Court rejected the class action and today an appeal process is being conducted in the Supreme Court.
- Represents several bondholders of Urbancorp in a derivative claim against the company, its board members and bonds trustee, and also representing a bondholder in a class action. Both claims concern a drop in Urbancorp’s bond prices following a large capital raise.
- Represented Africa Israel Investments in a motion for a derivative action filed against former fiduciaries of the company for alleged false statements and negligence regarding the purchase of real estate assets in Ukraine. The class action is valued at approximately NIS100m.
AYR – Amar Reiter Jeanne Shochatovitch & Co has a standalone class actions team, which handles class actions defence for major Israeli corporates in the telecoms, real estate, transport, food and drink, and retail sectors. The practice group is also instructed by a number of multinational corporates such as Microsoft and Chi Mei Corporation, that latter of which the team is defending in a follow-on competition claim. Headed by Yaron Reiter, the team handles a huge variety of consumer class actions, and is developing particular expertise in claims involving data and privacy. Dana Amir and Yael Apple-Shoham are also active in the practice group.
‘The team is very knowledgeable and professional. They quickly research and identify our legal arguments’ weaknesses and advise how to overcome them.‘
‘Yaron Reiter and Dana Amir have a no-nonsense attitude, and are very persuasive, both orally and in written arguments.‘
Partner Communications Company
Phoenix Insurance Company
Excellence Nessuah Gemel
Chi Mei Corporation
The Gindi Group
Kavim Public Transportation
The Manufacturers Association of Israel
Kesher Rent A Car Ltd – (Hertz)
Israeli Public Broadcasting Corporation
Pelephone Communications Company
012 Smile Telecom
Trima Israel Pharmaceutical Products Maabarot
Of Yerushalaim Mehadrin
Red Meat Importing & Exporting Meat
Ono Academic College
- Represented Chi Mei Corporation in a class action against various international OEM corporations, regarding a global LCD-TFT panel cartel from 2001 – 2006.
- Representing Microsoft Corporation and Microsoft Israel in two applications to certify a class action regarding the Windows 10 free upgrade campaign.
- Defending Partner Communications Company in a class action claim alleging that Partner used its customers’ data unlawfully, by processing and transferring it to the Israeli Police.
Balter, Guth, Aloni & Co
Balter, Guth, Aloni & Co is perhaps best known for its class actions expertise in the pharmaceuticals sector, though the team is also a standout player in the transportation sector, where it acts for clients ranging from auto leasing companies to commercial airlines. The practice group is headed by Eran Taussig, who has a tremendous amount of experience in tort law and class actions and regularly lectures on the topic both in Israel and in the US. Dual-qualified in Israel and New York, firm co-founder Moshe Balter has decades of experience acting for international clients, and has been identified as 'a solid rock in the local legal environment'. Other key figures in the team include Raanan Bar Zohar and Inbal Elkayam.
‘Very capable, practical, and responsive. I’ve had very good experience working with this team.‘
‘They know the market very well and they have wide knowledge in various segments.‘
‘The uniqueness of Balter, Guth, Aloni’s class actions department stems from two main points: first, their specialisation in the field of pharma and its varieties. Second, the fact that the firm’s head of the class action department, Dr. Eran Tausig, is a prominent expert in the area of class actions recognised by his peers, and is often invited to lectures on the subject in professional forums, and publishes academic articles, both in Israel and in the US.‘
‘It has excellent reputation in terms of value for money and the leading figures of the firm are always in personally involved in the cases.‘
‘This firm has the interesting feature of being run as a boutique law firm, with a personal relationship and accountability towards the client, but also having the scope and the size of a large firm.‘
‘I served as mediator in three of Dr. Taussig’s cases, two of which were class action proceedings. From my acquaintance with Dr. Taussig, I have come to know that in addition to his high legal abilities and exceptional knowledge, Dr. Taussig knows how to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, and brings great value to his clients.‘
Johnson & Johnson
J-C Health Care
Arkia Israeli Airlines
Clal Insurance Company
- Representing Johnson & Johnson, Ethicon and J-C Healthcare in a NIS6bn motion to certify a class action that was filed against it, in which the petitioners claimed the company hid the negative side effects of its Prolift Mesh product.
- Representing Arkia Israeli Airlines in a NIS65m motion to certify a class action that was filed against it, in which the petitioners claimed the company charged its customers with a “security surcharge” without authorisation in the law.
- Representing Ahuzot Hahof, a company involved in developing and managing parking lots, in three motions to certify a class action that were filed against it, in which the petitioners claimed that the company is in breach of the agreement with parked drivers, as in many cases it does not give a discount to residents of the city of Tel Aviv. A settlement agreement was filed to the court.
FWMK (Furth, Wilensky, Mizrachi, Knaani) provides 'very professional service' to defendants and claimants in several key areas of class action litigation. The team has particular strength in insurance-related class actions, and has developed expertise in defending companies and directors in securities class actions. In addition, a team including Ofer Furth and Eran Meir is co-representing the Israeli subsidiary of Sanofi in a competition-related claim concerning its use of a drug patent. Rated by clients as 'a brilliant lawyer', 'very creative and super professional', Orr Noy is acting for defendants in a number of complex securities class actions, while Boaz Wilensky is representing a group of claimants in a class action against IDI Insurance Company.
‘The services provided by the firm are at the highest level. A very strong and sophisticated team, comprising extremely skilful, professional and creative lawyers, responding very quickly to the developments involved in the cases.‘
‘This team is ‘A’-class.‘
‘Orr Noy has a unique ability to deeply understand his clients’ most precious and important interests, and to protect those interests firmly in the best, most creative and most professional ways.‘
ACE CAPITAL RETAIL (2016)
Rav-Bariach (08) Industries
Oron Holdings and Investments Group
Mishmeret Trust Company
- Representing Sanofi & Sanofi Israel, in two class actions filed against them, that were joined, regarding abuse of its monopoly position by misleading the patent registrar when Sanofi & Sanofi Israel sought to register the drug Plavix.
- Representing Kitov Pharma, its CEO and directors in a class action that was filed against them in the Economic Department in Tel Aviv’s District Court, concerning a drop in share price on TASE following an ADS issuance by the company on NASDAQ.
- Representing Mrs. Oshrat Shimon, Adv. Ofer Furth and Mr. Oren Ziv, in a class action against IDI Insurance Company, with respect to an automatic and unilateral renewal of a car property insurance policy (whether comprehensive or third-party) without the approval or consent of the customer for such renewal.
Acting primarily for large Israeli clients, Gross, Kleinhendler, Hodak, Halevy, Greenberg, Shenhav & Co. has a proven track record in all types of class actions litigation, from consumer protection claims to complex securities class actions. A key figure in the team is Michael Ginsburg, who is handling a slew of high-value consumer claims for Gett, and is also representing the Israeli branch of Standard & Poor in a class action concerning the rating it assigned a company that went on to raise funds from the Israeli public. Managing partner David Fohrer heads the litigation group, and Shai Erez is also recommended.
S&P Global Ratings Ma’alot
The National Insurance Institute of Israel
Independent Board Committee of Osem Investments
East Jerusalem District Electric Company (JDECO)
Tadiran Consumer and Technology Products
- Representing S&P Global Rating Ma’alot in a class action filed with the Tel Aviv District Court (Economic Department) against the client (among others), claiming the client acted in gross negligence and bad faith, in the rating it gave a company which raised a substantial amount of money from the Israeli public.
- Defending The National Insurance Institute of Israel in a major class action (allegedly on behalf of all/the majority of all employers in Israel at the relevant times) concerning national insurance fees that were paid by them allegedly beyond the extent permitted by law.
- Represented East Jerusalem District Electric Company in a class action filed in the Jerusalem District Court, involving 27 causes of actions, including consumer protection issues, lack of good faith, unjust enrichment, tort and negligence with respect to an alleged breach of several standards in the Standards Book of the Public Utilities Authority – Electricity. The claim was eventually mediated and the settlement is awaiting approval by the court.
The litigation team at Krispin Rubinstein Blecher Law Offices has experience in consumer protection and environmental class actions, where it acts primarily for domestic corporates in regulated sectors such as defence and medical cannabis. The practice group is headed by Roy Blecher, who has wide-ranging experience in civil and commercial litigation, administrative claims, and criminal law. Standout highlights include representing the leading medical cannabis growers in Israel in a class action concerning the use of chemical pesticides.
‘Roy Blecher is a highly experienced litigator and provides very knowledgeable and practical advice also with respect to cases that are litigated in front of the Supreme Court. He is highly attentive and very pleasant to work with.‘
Tnuva Cooperative Center for Marketing of Agricultural Products in Israel
Sheifa La Haim
I.M.C. Agriculture 2010
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems
Mr. Yechiel Dahan
Israel Discount Bank
Mercantile Discount Bank
Israel Military Industries
- Representing most of Israel’s medical cannabis growers in a class actions claiming among other things, that the growers used chemical pesticides, which were not approved by the Ministry of Health. The group of plaintiffs includes 26,600 consumers of medical cannabis in Israel.
- Representing Rafael Advanced Defense Systems in a class action claiming that Rafael and other companies violated environmental laws.
- Representing Mr. Yechiel Dahan, the controlling shareholder in the company Modi’in Ezrachi, one of the largest security companies in Israel, with 11,000 employees and a turnover of around NIS700m in a derivative suit which was filed by the minority shareholder claiming that Dahan had robbed a business opportunity from the company.
Naschitz, Brandes, Amir & Co. has a particularly strong reputation for insurance and tort disputes, which makes it an attractive choice for Israeli corporates involved in environmental class actions, and consumer claims in key sectors including pharmaceuticals and consumer products, insurance, and tourism and transport. Of particular note, Gil Atar is acting for Haifa Chemicals in the NIS14bn class action regarding alleged air pollution in Haifa Bay. Other key contacts include insurance and civil litigation expert Tamar Arad-Kareth, and Yoav Razin, who has experience in securities and antitrust-related class actions.
‘The Naschitz team are very professional with good work ethic. They do an excellent job in writing the papers that are filed to court, and they drill down into details where necessary.‘
Isrotel Hotels Management
Unger Cohen CPA
Leumit Health Services
Local Committee for Planning and Construction Hadera
Zer For You
- Representing Perrigo in a class action relating to the sale of its Blistex-branded lip relief balm in Israel.
- Acting for Haifa Chemicals in various class actions involving bodily injury claims, for more than $14bn, relating to alleged personal injuries in the Haifa District, due to alleged air pollution.
- Acting for Clal Insurance in relation to a complex class action linked to both payment denial and/or reductions in insurance benefits for certain policyholders.
Rotenberg & Co
Through its relationships with a number of key clients, Rotenberg & Co is involved in high-value competition claims, disability and accessibility claims, and consumer class actions involving advertising law, statutory warranties and uniform contracts. Headed by Moti Arad, the practice group is instructed by clients in the media and broadcasting space such as Keshet Broadcasting and Radio Kol-Barama, and handles particularly high-value competition-related class actions for The Central Bottling Company.
The Central Bottling Company
Israel Railways Company
Neviot- Nature of Galilee
Carlsberg IBBL – International Beer Breweries
Derech Eretz Highways Management Corporation
The Central Distribution Company
- Representing The Central Bottling Company (CBC) (Coca Cola’s franchise holder in Israel) in an application to approve a class action against the company regarding excessive and unfair pricing.
- Representing Keshet Broadcasting in a request to approve a class action, as a one the respondents, regarding publication of commercial content and advertisement in disguise of informative content, in an estimated sum of $70m.
- Representing Meda Conferences in a motion to approve a class action against the company for sending unsolicited and undesired electronic messages (Spam) by email. The applicants are demanding compensation in excess of NIS10bn.
S. Friedman & Co. Advocates & Notaries is instructed by major Israeli corporates including Tnuva and Zim Integrated Shipping, domestic listed companies such as Hamashbir 365 Holdings, and educational institutions including the University of Haifa. Jointly headed by Lily Doron and Itamar Anaby, the practice group has experience of a variety of class actions covering competition law, labour disputes and securities claims, though the team is particularly active in consumer class actions involving food and telecoms laws. In addition, the firm defended a building company and an Israeli retailer in separate accessibility-related claims, while Nira Cory represented a client in a motion to approve an environmental-related class action, which was withdrawn.
‘The team is highly skilled and professional and understands the food industry. They recognise the regulation and rulings and create an excellent relationship and understanding with our needs.‘
‘S. Friedman’s partners have a very good sense of understanding the market and the business sense of the legal issues. This allows them a very good view of action class and the right way to address it from a practical business perspective.‘
‘They have both good negotiation and litigation skills which is very important for this type of litigation.‘
‘The team understands our needs and are very creative in providing solutions, not only in situations of class actions, but also in processes that will prevent such claims.‘
Tnuva Food Industries Agricultural Co-Op. In Israel
Amiad Water Systems
Zim Integrated Shipping Services
Life Sport (Adidas)
Allalouf, M Dizengoff & Co. and 13 other shipping agencies
University of Haifa
Hamashbir 365 Holdings
Gav-Yam, Property & Building Corp. IDB Group.
Angel General Developers
K.N. Market Warehouses
- Representing Tnuva in several consumer class actions, including an application to certify a class action in the sum of NIS118.8m (approx. $32.2m) alleging that when referring to the expiry date on the package, the producer used the words “use by”, instead of “best before”.
- Representing Zim Integrated Shipping Services in an application to certify a class action, alleging that Zim was a party to a restrictive arrangement that caused damage to purchasers of cars that were carried by certain vessels between the years 2002 and 2012.
- Representing University of Haifa in an application to approve a class action in the sum of NIS86m (approx. $24m) filed following an earlier decision given by a labour court in favour of a research assistant employed by the University of Haifa. The class action seeks to obtain a judgment that will oblige the University to compensate all the research assistants employed by it during a period of several years.
Yossi Levy & Co is a particularly standout performer in antitrust class actions, where it acts for well-known multinationals in follow-on global-cartel litigation, and also represents domestic clients in class actions involving antitrust violations in Israel. Joint practice heads Asaf Shubinsky and Aviel Flint are representing Israeli Airports Authority in a NIS3.5bn class action involving pricing practices at Ben Gurion Airport, and name partner Yossi Levy is handling follow-on cartel class actions for multinationals such as General Electric. In addition to antitrust litigation, the team handles consumer class actions for clients in the consumer products and telecoms sectors, and is also acting for the claimants in a highly publicised class action against Airbnb regarding the company's listings in the West Bank.
Electra Consumer Products (1951)
Partner Communications Company
National Infrastructure and Transportation Company
General Electric Company
Elco Cinema Limited Partnership
Israel Airports Authority
H.Y. Electronics & Components
- Representing LG Chem in a class action regarding global cartel in the field of manufacturing and distributing of lithium batteries for electronic devices.
- Acting for the plaintiffs in a class action against Airbnb over its decision to ban 200 listings in Israeli settlements on the West Bank, alleging that Airbnb’s decision represents a grave, offensive and outrageous discrimination, against the background of place of residence, country of origin and political views.
- Representing the Israel Airport Authority in a request to approve a class action against it and other, alleging the respondents violate various provisions of the Antitrust Law, in the sale of the products in duty-free shops at Ben Gurion Airport.