Real estate in Germany
The 'absolutely leading' real estate practice at Clifford Chance has a particular focus on transactions in the commercial properties sector. Its international client base includes financially sound asset managers, insurers and investment companies, which also consult the team around Christian Keilich on investments in high-volume asset portfolios. Fabian Böhm is recommended for portfolio transactions and real estate aspects of financing and refinancing, while counsel Philipp Stoecker particularly acts in national and cross-border real estate investments and transactions. Further expertise exists in relation to asset classes such as retail, logistics and housing. Former practice head Cornelia Thaler left the firm in January 2019 to found her own firm Thaler Law.
‘Simply an absolutely leading firm in the real estate sector.‘
Eurotower Frankfurt GmbH & Co. KG
Allianz Real Estate
- Advice to the French Primonial-Gruppe on an investment in the real estate portfolio of the German Medical Properties Trust with an overall value of approximately EUR 1,635 billion.
- Support to the US investor NorthStar Realty Europe Corp. on the sale of the Frankfurt high-rise building Trianon for EUR 670 million to South-Korean consortium IGIS/HANA Financial Investment.
- Advice to Eurotower Frankfurt GmbH & Co. KG on the sale of the Eurotower in Frankfurt, managed by Triuva at the time, to the Patrizia Immobilien AG.
Greenberg Traurig Germany advises a client roster predominantly composed of Anglo-American investors on transactions as well as in the run-up to German real estate market entries. Its day-to-day business is also characterised by assisting with nationwide housing portfolios, where the firm acts on behalf of national and international investors on both purchasing and selling side. The group also has a significant strength in assisting with complex project developments and planned acquisitions in the Frankfurt office sector. Among others, Florian Rösch advises on this, but he also assists with real estate transactions as well as court and out-of-court disputes in the real estate field. The practice is also occasionally instructed by the public authorities. Practice head Christian Schede, Peter Schorling and Kati Beckmann jointly specialise in the financing of high-profile real estate fonds.
‘The firm stands out for its rapidness with 100% meticulousness and expertise.‘
‘Strong real estate team composed of renowned partners and very committed and ambitious associates.‘
‘In comparison to similarly large firm, the approachability and availability of involved GT lawyers as well as the property-industrial and practical understanding of real estate contexts stand out.‘
‘Every query is answered with a recommendation, also spontaneously on the telephone. A “maybe” or vague statements do not exist.‘
‘Very high commitment and availability for all complex and very short-notice ad hoc queries, deliver very good results for their clients and negotiate these to a required standard and with respect for all.‘
‘Florian Rösch has a good judgment over the economic relevance of single deal articles.‘
‘Florian Rösch and Christian Schede share an outstanding expertise, integrity, negotiation skills and the understanding of a client’s needs.‘
Deutsche Wohnen SE
Hanse Merkur Gruppe
Tristan Capital Partners
Schroder Real Estate Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
- Structuring and founding of two Luxembourgian credit funds at a value of approximately EUR 900 million for insurances of the Hanse Merkur-Gruppe as well as other institutional investors.
- Support to a fund managed by Tristan Capital Partners on the sale of the 25-storey Garden Tower in Frankfurt am Main in a share deal.
- Support to Schroder Real Estate Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH on the purchase and financing of an office high-rise building in Frankfurt am Main in the course of a share deal.
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP's real estate practice 'runs like clockwork' and has a high market reputation for its assistance with project developments in the commercial properties sector. Exemplary in this context was the advice to longstanding client SIGNA on the biggest commercial properties deal of the year, which emerged from Karstadt and Kaufhof's merger. The client base, which is characterised by long-term advice, include shopping centre operators as well as developers and asset managers from the retail sector. On another note, the Düsseldorf-based team around Jens Ortmanns has been able to further unfold its remarkable entry into the traditionally closed Hamburg market. Financing lawyer Dustin Schwerdtfeger made partner in January 2019 and in September 2019, the team welcomed capital management expert Frank Mueller, former head of Corpus Sireo's legal department. Counsel Maximilian Clostermeyer has extensive experience in portfolio transactions.
‘The true strength of the MWE team lies in executing very complex and time-sensitive major projects. Jens Ortmanns directs his team in a way that makes it run like clockwork. In total a very competent and congenial team.‘
‘360-degree advice approach including investment and tax advice von all legal and tax issues that are relevant to institutional investors. Uniquely embodied through its practice head, Dr Jens Ortmanns, and his entire team. Highest quality in the market, always available and due to its technically excellent and pragmatic advice, the team has clearly become the number 1 in the market, in the meantime probably also pertaining to the size of the team. Present in all markets, most recently mainly Berlin, Frankfurt and Hamburg.‘
‘From our point of view, Dr Jens Ortmanns is the best negotiator and deal architect in the market, he knows like nobody else how to successfully establish deals and execute them successfully for all parties. Very pleasant and highly professional in personally dealing with one another.‘
Kraftverkehr Nagel SE & Co. KG
- Ongoing legal advice to Art-Invest on the project development Alter Wall in Hamburg.
- First-time advice to Swiss Life on the EUR 241,5 million-forward deal-acquisition “Cologneo” in Cologne.
- Advice on tenancy law to the English outlet centre-operator McArthurGlen on the expansion of its German business.
Allen & Overy LLP
The deeply international real estate practice at Allen & Overy LLP stands out for its assistance with high-volume transactions in the office sector. A client base composed of financially sound national and international banks regularly instructs the team around Jochen Scheel in relation to sales and acquisitions as well as refinancing of future and existing commercial properties in intra-urban locations in Frankfurt and Berlin. Another significant pillar of its service offering is the advice to investment companies and private investors on sales and acquisitions of large-scale housing complexes, while the administration of cross-border logistic portfolios on behalf of developers and institutional investors is also becoming increasingly important. Murad Daghles joined White & Case LLP in January 2019.
The strongly internationally oriented real estate group at CMS assists with project developments and transactions in all significant asset classes. Thus the practice under the leadership of Sebastian Orthmann demonstrates competencies in portfolio management and expansion in the logistics and housing sectors. Besides its assistance with existing and planned care homes, hotels and operator-run properties, niche advice related to the design of leasing agreements for the entertainment industry is also gaining in importance. Heinz-Joachim Kummer is frequently instructed by institutional investors seeking advice on inventory build-up.
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS has a broad and well equipped personnel basis from different disciplines, which works hand in hand in covering the full spectrum of a transaction.‘
‘Sebastian Orthmann is very thorough and precise.‘
‘Heinz-Joachim Kummer exhibits extraordinary experience, unprecedented commitment and unique client understanding.‘
‘Heinz-Joachim Kummer has outstanding expertise in real estate transaction ranging from construction law and tenancy law to the intelligent structuring of contracts and liability regulations.‘
Corpus Sireo und Swiss Life Gruppe
Valor Real Estate Partners
- Support to Corpus Sireo and the Swiss Life Gruppe on the sale of its German property management-platform to Strabag.
- Regular advice on tenancy law to Design Offices in the course of its German-wide expansion.
- Support to the Pan-European logistics real estate investor Valor Real Estate Partners on its market entry in Germany.
Dentons' real estate practice is well versed in project developments and advises a client base composed of international investors and urban housing societies. Particularly remarkable is the advice provided to private equity firms and special funds on the development and subsequent marketing of conversion sites that are meant to be converted to student housing, care units and family flats. Additional strengths of the team behind Dirk-Reiner Voß include land development for logistics facilities as well as refinancing of asset portfolios under the aegis of Bernhard Gemmel. The practice was strengthened by the arrival of David Zafra Carollo from Noerr and Dominik Thomer from Clifford Chance.
‘The firm operates internationally and interdisciplinarily integrated. The international coverage is impressive and extremely helpful.‘
‘Expertise, commitment and a services approach.‘
‘Volker Mergener combines a very independent conduct of proceedings with precision and an outstandingly historic memory.‘
‘Lawyer Voss in Berlin legally structured major developer deals, designed contracts and led negotiations for us. The advice from Mr Voss was to a high legal standard, while he understood to competently incorporate additional tax and insolvency expertise from within the firm even in time-sensitive situations.‘
P3 (Point Park Properties)
- Support to the HanseMerkur on the real estate-due diligence as well as the preparation and negotiation of the financing documents for a project development in Bonn with 40.000 sqm of housing and commercial space.
- Support to the Singapore investor IREIT Global on the refinancing of its existing real estate portfolio at a value of € 200.760.000,00.
- Support to Harrison Street Real Estate Capital on the purchase of two student residential properties in Bonn and Nuremberg.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Headed by Johannes Conradi, the real estate practice at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer predominantly acts on behalf of national and international investors in cross-border transactions in the asset classes retail, office and logistics. With presence in all major congested areas, the team assists REITs, banks and private investors with sales and acquisitions of objects and portfolios and also acts for project development companies. The advice on transactions, inter alia in the asset class hotel, is one of the significant competencies of Timo Elsner, whose corporate expertise is complemented by Niko Schultz-Süchting's experience in dealing with open and closed funds as well as with special platforms. The refinancing of single real estate and portfolios is also an important pillar of the practice.
Hengeler Mueller predominantly advises on classic real estate transactions on behalf of investment companies and private equity firms from the Anglo-Saxon and Asian region. The client roster regularly includes intermediate holding companies for listed real estate companies and the group advises national developers as well as foreign investors on the acquisition of residential and commercial real estate portfolios on both nationwide and cross-border level. A particular strength of the seven-strong group around Thomas Müller and Daniel Kress is the assistance with sales and acquisitions of large-scale mixed-use areas. Thomas Lang made partner in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘Unique combination of M&A expertise and real estate law; special sector know-how of complex large-scale transactions and specifically (housing) portfolios.’
‘The partners are exceptionally committed and therefore extremely efficient.’
‘Thomas Müller is appreciated by everyone in the market. He radiates tranquillity and is able to bypass all obstacles thanks to his experience.’
‘Daniel Kress is a tenacious representative of his clients’ interests, whereby he leads them to success. He is especially useful in cases related to complex transactions and their financing.’
‘Daniel Kress is strong in negotiations, very involved and well informed about all workstreams.’
J.P. Morgan Asset Management
- Advice to Blackstone Group International Partners LLP/QUINCAP Investment Partners GmbH & Co. KG on the purchase of the both residential and commercial building Pariser Platz 4a / Unter den Linden in Berlin.
- Support to J.P. Morgan Asset Management / LGT Capital Partners LTD on the purchase of a real estate portfolio consisting of 4 office buildings in the greater areas of Munich, Cologne and Düsseldorf.
- Advice to GEG German Estate Group on the purchase of the office tower Eurotheum in Frankfurt from Commerz Real.
Led by Roland Bomhard, Hogan Lovells International LLP's real estate practice focuses on comprehensive advice related to user-oriented specialist properties ranging from hotel and logistics centres to offices. Frankfurt-based Marc Werner is a highly sought-after expert in the hotel sector. Further competencies of the firm include the assistance with site conversions and leasehold-related property acquisitions, as well as the updating of leasing contracts. Martin Haase, who focuses on specialist real estate, made partner in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Pierre & Vacances Center Parcs Group
- Support to Pierre & Vacances Center Parcs Group on the completion of new long-term lease agreements.
- Support to Union Investment on the purchase of one of the ‘FOUR’-towers in the inner city of Frankfurt in the course of a forward funding.
- Advice to UBS Asset Management Tochtergesellschaft Real Estate & Private Markets (REPM) on the purchase of the office tower Turmcenter in Frankfurt for EUR 155 million in the course of a share deal.
The real estate practice at Noerr puts strong emphasis on advising banks and financial institutions on the financing of project developments and portfolio expansion. The real estate investment group under the aegis of renowned practice head Annette Pospich is frequently instructed by a client base predominantly composed of national developers and investors seeking advice on capital management and construction projects in the asset classes hotel, office and logistics. Former practice head Alexander Goepfert left the firm in January 2019 to act as senior advisor to Apollo and its European real estate and distressed debt funds on its further expansion in Germany. Rene Dubois and David Zafra Carollo joined Dentons respectively in July 2018 and May 2019, while Philip Smitka joined Squire Patton Boggs in October 2018. Christoph Hons joined from Jones Day in February 2019 and Karsten Fink made partner the month before.
‘Strong, committed team; firm covers all subsections of the real estate sector and is one of the best real estate teams in Germany.‘
‘The team at Noerr is technically very sound and communicates quickly. Noerr is also well equipped in all adjacent areas and can also process more in-depth issues (planning law, tax, investment law).‘
‘The team stays in the background, often we only have one key contact, which guarantees a high degree of efficiency.‘
‘Very goal-oriented and extraordinary market understanding.‘
‘Annette Pospich: a very good negotiator, very well connected.‘
‘Alexander Jänecke impresses with his prudential and calm behaviour, outstanding technical competence paired with empathy.‘
‘Alexander Jänecke has a very pleasant and good manner at the negotiation table and can outstandingly substantiate his opinion.‘
‘In acquisition negotiations, Alexander Jänecke is able to quickly come up with solution proposals and convince the opposite party.‘
P+P Pöllath + Partners assists with transactions and project developments in the asset classes residential, office, care homes and logistics. The team around Stefan Lebek and Matthias Durst regularly advises financially sound investors, banks and real estate developers on sales and acquisitions of various objects from very high-profile mixed-use portfolios. Timo Winkelmann, who made partner in January 2019, is renowned for advising on land development as well as on transactions. The firm is particularly strong in advising on complex tax-related transactions in Frankfurt, Berlin and Stuttgart. Carsten Führling retired in December 2018.
Other key lawyers:
‘P+P is quick, strong in negotiations and offers excellent quality. They know the market. We appreciate Dr Matthias Durst and Dr Stefan Lebek for having been longstanding trustworthy partners, who always accompany and lead us to outstanding solutions.‘
‘Stefan Lebek is a first-class lawyer, who combines this with a very good level of pragmatism to reach useful and appropriate solutions.‘
Quantum Immobilien AG
Caleus Capital Partners
- Advice to Hines on the sale and purchase of commercial properties.
- Advice to Quantum Immobilien AG on the purchase of different properties, including yet to be built residential, commercial and office buildings.
- Advice to Caleus Capital Partners on the purchase of the property ‘Unter den Linden 13-15, Berlin’.
The real estate practice at Ashurst LLP has a significant strength in advising international asset managers on tax and investment matters related to the financing of asset portfolios in Germany. The client base of Filip Kurkowski, who joined in 2018, includes banks, private equity funds and investors from the Asian region, while the team led by Liane Muschter advises on inbound transactions related to high-volume single properties and nationwide portfolios in the key areas logistics and offices. Nicolas Deuerling offers expertise across all significant asset classes and covers the full spectrum ranging from financing to project development.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Under the new umbrella of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP, the real estate practice, which until January 2019 operated under the name of Berwin Leighton Paisner, continues to focus on advice in the asset classes commercial properties and logistics. Hence the team around practice head Roland Fabian and 'outstanding, relaxed negotiator' Carsten Bremer remains oriented towards high-profile transactions related to single office properties as well as entire shopping quarters. The comprehensive assistance of longstanding clients with nationwide project developments of future logistics sites is of similar importance. The client roster includes developers and asset managers as well as institutional and private investors.
‘An unbelievably pragmatic and deal-oriented approach to contract design and negotiations while being fully concentrated on the essentials.‘
‘Partners are always available and tasks are delivered according to the desired timeline. At the same time, the team delivers creative and pragmatic solutions. Furthermore, the team demonstrates a high degree of proactive action and always thinks one step ahead.‘
‘BCLP and particularly Stephan Krampe are our firm of choice in real estate transactions. We always have a competent key contact due to the broad advice spectrum and the firm’s internationality.‘
‘Stephan Krampe is a lawyer as desired. Technically extremely well versed, always an eye on the bigger picture and the economic aspects and at the same time an utterly pleasant character and appearance.‘
‘Carsten Bremer is one of the cleverest and most confident negotiation partners. Especially in complicated transactions, he is the man one wants to have by one’s side.‘
Panattoni Germany Properties GmbH
Allianz Real Estate
- Support to Cromwell Germany on the EUR 59 million sale of the Cross-Dock-portfolio.
- Support to Hines on the purchase and financing of the future Zalando-Zentrale´.
- Advised Allianz Real Estate on the sale of the Hanseviertel.
The 'highly professional' real estate practice at DLA Piper has manifold capacities in assisting with transactions across the entire spectrum of asset classes, first of all hotels, student housing and logistic units. Under the joint leadership of Lars Reubekeul and Fabian Mühlen, the team also advises operators of specialist real estate on the realisation of data centres among other matters. The renowned Martin Haller was able to unfold his competencies in assisting with project developments, particularly in the hotel area. Another strength includes the advice to institutional investors on acquiring large-scale conversion sites as well as fully-let city quarters. Transactions are handled by Christian Lonquich among others; he also assists with asset management and financing issues.
‘DLA Piper has a highly professional team in the area of real estate and construction law. The group has best possible expertise in assisting with transactions and project developments of all kinds.‘
‘With regards to letting contracts, rental law and acquisitions contracts, the team is always up-to-date with current market conditions.‘
‘Martin Haller’s expertise and market knowledge as well as his empathy for the client’s needs are unrivalled.‘
‘Martin Haller is always there for his clients and always has a sympathetic ear.‘
‘Martin Haller: very professional manner with good instincts in negotiations on when “the hard way” is necessary.‘
‘Manuel Indlekofer: very pleasant and conciliatory manner, which can ground especially effervescent conversation partners on the other side of the table.‘
InterContinental Hotels Group
- Advice to the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) on the planned opening of its first Kimpton Hotel in Germany in 2023.
- Support to a real estate fund managed by KGAL Investment Management GmbH & Co. KG on the acquisition of the Seerhein-Center in Constance, Lake Constance.
- Support to Tilad, a Multi Family Office based in Dubai, on the sale of a portfolio with three logistic centres to a joint venture consisting of Apeiron and Green Oak.
The 'very well-practised' real estate team at Eversheds Sutherland can call on advice capacities in corporate real estate, project development and cross-border transactions. Besides traditional strengths in the asset classes logistics and office, specialist properties, particularly data centres and care homes, are gaining in importance. The strongly international character of the client base of Gerhard Molt's group becomes apparent in ongoing advice to globally active technology corporations, while inbound and outbound transactions in the commercial property sector constitute another central pillar of the practice. The team was strengthened by the arrival of Maximilian Findeisen from Mütze Korsch Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH in October 2018 and Martina Sradj from a client in January 2019, as well as by the partner promotion of Philipp Turnwald in May 2019.
‘Very thorough and reliable way of working; in due time, if necessary also very short-term advice on issues.‘
‘The team stands out for its excellent real estate and investment expertise and full partner attention. Combined with pragmatic, efficient approaches, it’s a good choice.‘
‘An understanding of the client’s core business and the structure, in which the deal is embedded, are essential for a successful legal implementation of real estate financings. Here, I’ve had an outstanding experience with Jennifer Hock and Thomas Ziegler.‘
‘Thomas Ziegler is a longstanding, very reliable partner in contract design and negotiation.‘
‘Ms Annette Griesbach and Dr Stefanie Fuerst are highly committed lawyers. Due to our longstanding cooperation, they know our business model like we do and we can trust them fully. The quality of their work is great.‘
‘Dr Stefanie Fuerst and Dr Carola Rathke are a well-practised, highly professional team with longstanding routine and efficient work manners.‘
Garbe Industrial Real Estate
Savills Investment Management
- Advice to Garbe Industrial Real Estate on the purchase and project development of logistics facilities.
- Ongoing support to Warburg-HIH Invest on matters of funds management.
- Advice to the hotel brand Selina on market entry in Germany.
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB
The real estate team at GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB continues to be one of the largest practices in Germany. Besides its focus on transactions, the practice around Markus Heider and Jan Lindner-Figura puts particular emphasis on comprehensive insolvency advice to both creditors as well as debtors. The core business comprises assisting specialised investment companies with sales and acquisitions in the retail sector, both in relation to retail parks as well as intra-urban shopping arcades. The group is frequently instructed by the public authorities to advise on leasehold issues, while the team is also consulted on real estate matters by several family offices. The realisation of residential sites on behalf of project developers is another strength of the practice that operates across five offices.
‘The lawyer team with which we work is exceedingly proficient, thereby unpretentious and can create and promote our matters mostly autonomously. This is very rare in the lawyer world.‘
Gleiss Lutz' real estate practice strongly focuses on high-profile investors and advises a client base that predominantly includes capital managers and internationally active real estate investors. Therefore, the group assists an international client roster that is mainly composed of Anglo-American investors with an increasingly strong strategic focus on Asia. The team around Tim Weber regularly advises on complex transactions in the asset classes office, retail, logistics and health. A particular strength of the firm is assisting with acquisitions of project developments and asset portfolios related to share and asset deals.
Other key lawyers:
Graf von Westphalen
Under the leadership of Lorenz Czajka, the advice spectrum of Graf von Westphalen's real estate practice focuses on the construction and subsequent management of specialist properties. The client base is predominantly composed of operating companies, institutional investors and project developers. The group focuses on the asset classes student housing and hotels, while advice is usually provided to the operating side. Competencies of hospitality expert Christian Zerr not only include the assistance with transactions, but also contract design regarding the transfer of operations and renovation procedures. The firm also advises at the interface to public law on projects related to housing interventions. The partner promotions of Sven Donner and Lutz Leonard Lamprecht in January 2019 balanced the simultaneous departure of Maximilian Jahn. He left to found spin-off Jahn Hettler Rechtsanwälte PartG mbB.
‘The team at Graf von Westphalen particularly stands out for the following skills: good availability, high competence, excellent coordination, goal-oriented work, effective and efficient. I am always enthused by the negotiation skills. It is good to have this firm on your side. The knowledge even of certain specifics of institutional market participants and its complex environment is enormous.‘
‘Dr Lorenz Czajka has oustandingly advised us on real estate matters related to a very complex M&A procedure since 2017, has drafted exceedingly elaborate contracts with majority appeal and also represented the company in several contract negotiations in conjunction with the board of directors in the best possible way. Notable are the extraordinarily high commitment and an above-average availability, also in the evenings and at weekends.‘
‘Christian Zerr has a precise, broad expertise in commercial properties among other areas.‘
‘Christian Zerr is a calm, but due to good argumentation also assertive negotiator.‘
Assan Alüminyum Sanayi ve Ticaret
- Advice to aluminium manufacturer Assan Alüminyum Sanayi ve Ticaret on the purchase of the industrial area Stahlwerk Rasselstein from ThyssenKrupp and project development of the 80 hectares site in Neuwied, in particular concerning residential use.
- Advice to the operator chain H-Hotels on the sale of the last object of its stock portfolio, including the contractual accomplishment of the state of repair works.
- Ongoing advice to capital partner Campus Nürnberg on project developments of student housing, in this case on the purchase of a site near the newly planned Technischen Universität Nürnberg (TUN) in the south of the city.
Headed by Dirk Brückner, GSK Stockmann's real estate practice specialises in the sale and acquisition of highly modern office properties for specialist funds, capital managers and project developers. From the Frankfurt office, Michael Eggersberger assists with transactions both in densely populated industrial sites as well in suburban areas that have added value potential. An increasingly sharp focus is directed towards the logistics sector, which also correlates with the team's expertise in the realisation of projects in large-scale areas.
Other key lawyers:
Groß und Partner ´Grundstücksentwicklungsgesellschaft
MP Holding GmbH
- Comprehensive advice to the Groß und Partner Grundstücksentwicklungsgesellschaft mbH on the sale of the yet to be built high-rise building AQUA in the banking district of Frankfurt to Union Investment in the course of a forward share deal.
- Advice to Office First/Blackstone on the update of the comprehensive Due Diligence with regards to company and real estate law concerning the object THE SQUAIRE.
- Comprehensive advice to project developer MP Holding Gmbh, which specialises in logistics real estate, on the sale of a yet to be created logistics real estate-portfolio consisting of 6 properties.
Jones Day specialises in the financing of real estate transactions on buyer and financing side. The well-practiced team around Sandra-Christiane Kamper advises an international client base from the private equity, capital management and banking sectors on the creation of alternative investment and specialist funds as well as on complex transactions, including acquisition financing. Thus, Claudia Leyendecker's sound know-how in the financing and M&A areas is complemented by Nicole Kadel's proven expertise in real estate transactions with a focus on logistics properties. Christian Trenkel is well versed in the implementation of mezzanine financings on behalf of investment companies.
Renewable Energy Holding S.à r.l.
- Advice to Renewable Energy Holding S.à r.l., an asset manager based in Luxembourg for institutional investors, on the purchase of several onshore wind farms or rather the project corporations involved.
At King & Spalding LLP, a strong focus of its real estate practice lays on transaction-related longterm advice to banks, capital managers and investment companies on the development of pan-European funds. Furthermore, the team around Mario Leißner has a traditional strength in assisting with supervisory law aspects of fund structuring as well as with the refinancing of single properties and portfolios. Andreas Bohme often advises borrowers, while Sebastian Kaufmann assists creditors either with the first-time edition of investment platforms or in relation to specific transactions. Henning Aufderhaar advises on national or cross-border real estate transactions across all asset classes and Alexandra Weis made partner in January 2019.
HANSAINVEST Hanseatische Investment GmbH
Barings Real Estate Advisers
Bank of Montréal Real Estate Partners
Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate
- Advice to Barings Real Estate Advisers on real estate transactions, real estate financing and with regards to new funds.
- Advice to BMO on transactions in several countries for new pan-European funds and real estate financing.
- Advice to Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate on transactions, on supervisory law, structuring and issuing of new funds as well as advice on tax law.
With a 'broad spectrum of top performers', Linklaters offers wide-ranging competencies both in relation to sales and acquisitions of centrally located commercial properties and logistics facilities as well as to the development of specialist funds. Practice head Wolfram Krüger not only advises on the internal transfer of assets, but also on the complete acquisition of investment platforms. Furthermore, the firm assists globally active institutional investors and listed national companies with the rental of office facilities, particularly in relation to Brexit. The client base is mainly composed of private equity firms, REITs, asset managers and banks. Alexander Schlee is well versed in bonds and made partner in May 2018.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very high reputation with big players. Very good linking of real estate, corporate and tax law. High degree of itemisation and outstanding response times.‘
‘Carsten Loll is very established, experienced and well connected in the sector.‘
Split between Hamburg, Frankfurt and Munich, Norton Rose Fulbright's real estate practice advises a client base composed of capital management companies, insurers and project developers with a focus on the asset class office. In this context, the comprehensive assistance with complex investments including joint ventures is part of the core business, while practice head Stefan Feuerriegel is also regularly consulted in relation to renovated and newly developed shopping centres. In relation to acquisitions in the office and hotel sectors, the group focuses on properties with value recovery potential. Thomas Hopf joined the Frankfurt office of avocado rechtsanwälte in April 2019.
Fattal Hotels Group
- Advice to the Real I.S. AG, an investment funds provider by the BayernLB specialised in real estate investment, on the purchase of the office project Rödingsmarkt.
- Support to core client Fattal Hotels Group on the sale of a Leonardo Royal Hotel in Munich to the US real estate investor Invesco Real Estate. At the same time of the sale, Fattal completed a lease agreement for the hotel for 30 years.
- Support to Unibail Rodamco on among other things letting of the Überseequartier and strategic matters of tenancy law concerning the Gropius Passagen.
The broad real estate practice at Taylor Wessing has a remarkable skills spectrum, which does not only cover transactions but also classical construction law issues as well as asset management. Thereby, the assistance with project developments in the office, care home and retail sectors is gaining in importance alongside its traditional strength in the asset classes logistics, residential and hotel. Practice head Anja Fenge is well versed in acquisitions of multi-tenant properties in adjacent industrial and residential sites, while Patrick Brock has experience in sales and acquisitions of intra-urban commercial complexes. After Martin Bartlik and Johannes Callet made partner in May 2018, Daniel Grasker was also promoted to the partnership in January 2019.
‘The firm covers the entire spectrum of real estate law, while a more generalist approach is applied on partner level. For the client, this carries the big advantage that partners themselves take care of the matter and are always able to comment. Noteworthy is the willingness, to quickly and competently learn the ropes of related topics such as contaminated sites and waste law.‘
‘The team is outstandingly experienced in complex land sales (and therefore also in acquisitions), particularly of the public authorities, where it is not only or predominantly about legally secure land transfers and selling price protection, but about implementing urban development political concepts in contracts in such a way that goals are operational as well as controllable.‘
‘Dr Bartlik has up-to-date knowledge and is therefore able to let current jurisprudence slip into contracts. Due to his curriculum he is able to read contracts from a judge’s point of view and can therefore ensure that wordings and also the structure of a contract as well as the allocation of single regulations to paragraphs happen in such a way that interpretation issues ideally don’t even arise.‘
Commerz Real AG
Corpus Sireo Real Estate GmbH
Art-Invest Real Estate Management GmbH & Co. KG
Savills Investment Management (Germany) GmbH
META Immobilien GmbH
- Advice to Commerz Real AG on the purchase of the Omniturm.
- Advice to Corpus Sireo on the purchase of the office and commercial property ZOOM in Berlin.
- Advice to META Immobilien GmbH on the sale-and-lease-back of three Ibis Hotels.
Growing on personnel level, the real estate practice at White & Case LLP was able to expand its advice offering to corporate support to a client base that includes an increasing number of real estate funds. Significant emphasis continues to be placed on traditional transactions, particularly in the asset classes office and retail. Assisting investment companies with the acquisition of shopping centres reflects Endrik Lettau's team's increasingly strong strategic focus on the development of medium-sized German cities (so-called b-cities). Holger Wolf is an experienced key contact for acquisition financing of cross-border M&A transactions in the real estate sector. Thyl Hassler and Murad Daghles joined the firm respectively in March and February 2019 from Allen & Overy LLP.
‘Endrik Lettau is a very experienced partner with an excellent reputation and deep detail knowledge of the market.‘
Corestate Capital Advisors GmbH
Nestlé Deutschland AG
- Advice to the German Estate Group AG (GEG) on the acquisition of the office and hotel complex Triforum in Cologne.
- Advice to the Corestate Capital Advisors GmbH on the acquisition of a portfolio of three retail centres in the German B-cities, value of approximately EUR 100 million.
- Ongoing advice to Blackstone with regards to several real estate assets.
Led by Florian Thamm, the practice group at Baker McKenzie particularly stands out in the areas of commercial tenancy law and family offices. Thereby, the group has a significant focus on assisting with cross-border transactions. Accordingly, the advice to well-known fashion brands on retail space leasing following their German market entry as well as the comprehensive commercial advice to foreign private investors on high-volume acquisitions constitute the central pillars of the practice. Another strength of the practice relates to environmentally afflicted partial divestures of industrial sites. The public law expertise of experienced counsel Janet Butler is sought-after in relation to transactions and project developments across all significant asset classes. Furthermore, the practice was strengthened by the arrival of real estate financing expert Patrick Mittmann from Hogan Lovells International LLP in September 2018.
Evonik Industries AG
Abercrombie & Fitch
BNP Paribas REIM
- Ongoing advice on real estate law to Abercrombie & Fitch since German market entry, with a series of shop-openings in 2018/2019.
- Support to Alzayani Investments, a Family Office from Bahrain, on the purchase and financing of the Kreiller 214-project development in Munich by Bucher Properties.
- Support to the Eurozone Logistics Fund, which is managed by BNP Paribas Real Estate Investment Managers, on the purchase of a logistics real estate-project development from Goodman.
Since the arrival of partners Matthias Ohmer and Jens Müller in 2018, BEITEN BURKHARDT's team increasingly focuses on tax advice to national and international development companies and investors in relation to their investments, which were partially transacted via the Netherlands, in the German real estate sector. A clear transactional focus is in the retail sector, where Volker Szpak is frequently instructed with M&A issues. Florian Baumann, who is often recommended by clients, has been advising capital managers on transactions across all asset classes for many years. Markus Möller joined TRACC Legal Rechtsanwälte in April 2019.
‘The team at BEITEN BURKHARDT offers exquisite advice that also goes beyond interdisciplinary topics.‘
‘The employees and partners are in no way inferior to their competitors when it comes to expertise and performance. With regard to rapidness and quality, these employees and partners outperform the competition.‘
‘The team around Florian Baumann has been assisting us with daily asset management and sales for several years. Over the last years Mr Baumann has established a team that supports us in various areas ranging from administration to public and corporate law. At the moment, no other firm currently working for us is delivering on this level.‘
Mohammad Omar Bin Haider Holding Group, Dubai
Frankfurter Volksbank eG
- Comprehensive advice on tax law and compliance as well as financial accounting for the investments of Aroundtown SA in German real estate via the Dutch subsidiary companies of the group.
- Comprehensive advice on tax law and compliance as well as financial accounting for the investments of Cerberus Funds in German real estate via the Dutch subsidiary companies of the group.
- Advice to the Mohammad Omar Bin Haider Holding Group, Dubai on the purchase of a former American barrack (approximately 90 hectares) with the aim of a large-scale project development.
The Frankfurt-based real estate team at Goodwin specialises in advising international capital management companies, institutional investors and private equity funds mainly on transactions in the asset classes retail, office and logistics. A special niche is covered by assisting foreign investors with multistage equity transactions. Thus, practice head Marc Bohne and Peter Junghänel regularly act in cross-border acquisitions and sales related to joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Goodwin Procter has established themselves in the market within the shortest amount of time. The quality of work is outstanding throughout, i.e. ranging from paralegal and associate to partners.‘
‘Very competent and experienced team, which stood out due to its direct contact and efficient project management.‘
‘Due to his prudent negotiation skills, Stephan Kock is able to find a universally accepted compromise even in confrontationally led negotiations. His outstanding knowledge of the market is invaluable.‘
Slate Asset Management L.P.
Godewind Immobilien AG
Corestate Capital Advisors GmbH
Pears Global Real Estate International
Ekistics Property Advisors LLP
KanAm Grund Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
- Advice to Slate Asset Management L.P. on buying and selling of objects from its food retail portfolio.
- Advice to core client Godewind Immobilien AG on the purchase of the office complex ‘City Gate Tower’ in Frankfurt am Main.
- Advice to Corestate Capital Advisors on the purchase of a value-add commercial object in Munich.
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek's sizeable real estate practice focuses on assisting with transactions and project developments in the asset classes office, hotel, logistics and retail. Additional competencies of Thomas Nickel and Stephan Freund's team lay in transactional advice to private and institutional investors in relation to due diligence matters as well as in refinancing. Armin Freiherr von Grießenbeck is often instructed with matters related to ongoing construction projects on airport grounds, while cross-practice support for infrastructure projects is meant to constitute an increasingly important part of the group's daily business in the future.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very short response times. Sound knowledge of real estate and construction law. Pragmatic solutions.‘
EDEKA Nordbayern Bau- und Objektgesellschaft mbH
Flughafengesellschaft München GmbH
Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate GmbH
- Due Diligence and tax advice to the MOMENI Gruppe on the purchase of the shopping centre Galerie Luise, which is known far beyond Hannover.
- Support to the EDEKA-Unternehmensgruppe on the construction of a logistics centre measuring 48 000 m² in Saxon Berbersdorf and an automated high bay warehouse in Gochsheim with an integrated order picking-alley, which supplies 520 EDEKA shops with over 12 000 different products.
- Advice to Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate GmbH on the purchase of a portfolio with five retail parks and purchase of the district centre Mitte Altona with future sites for offices, gastronomy and commercial purposes.
The mittelstand-focused real estate practice at Heussen assists a client base that predominantly includes national real estate developers with various project developments in the asset classes residential and commercial properties as well as administration buildings. Longstanding partner Jan Dittmann advises not only on traditional transactions, but also on land development and subsequent realisation, including large-scale mixed-use areas and nationwide portfolios. The Munich-based team around practice head Norbert Huber was strengthened by the partner promotion of Y.S. Kaan Kalkan in October 2018.
‘Dr Jan Dittmann: fit in all areas of the real estate world, efficient, good negotiation tactics.‘
Ehret & Klein
- Advised Real I.S. on the purchase of the TechPark in Erlangen with partial component crowdinvestment.
- Support to Matrix on the purchase of the Arne-Jacobsen-Haus in Hamburg as well as several other transactions.
- Support to the AGB-Gruppe on the sale of the Henkel-Schwarzkopf-area in Hamburg.
K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates LLP specialises in advising family offices and institutional investors on inbound transactions and project developments in the asset classes residential, logistics and care homes. The practice group around Georg Foerstner and Felix Greuner has a strategic focus on relatively undeveloped areas with appreciation potential. Florens Girardet and two associates joined Ernst & Young Law's Berlin office in May 2019.
- Advice to the BEOS AG on the purchase of a business site in Berlin-Moabit from ThyssenKrupp with subsequent advice on development, in particular planning permission.
- Support to the Indian Marathon Gruppe on the sale of a retail trade (Bell) portfolio with 26 retail properties from across Germany.
- Legal support to Mercureim Fund SICAF FIS on the purchase of office buildings and retail parks at a value of approximately 55 million.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Under the aegis of practice head Achim Meier, Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH increasingly focuses on advising on complex real estate-related relocation transactions. The firm's transactional advice also encompasses high-profile project developments in intra-urban locations and assisting operating and holding companies with nationwide portfolios in the asset classes residential and logistics. The key contacts also include Berlin-based Detlev Stoecker and Martin Fleckenstein. Stephan Finck made partner in July 2018 and the team was further strengthened by the arrival of Ruth-Maria Thomsen, who is well versed in real estate transactions, from SZA Schilling, Zutt & Anschütz Rechtsanwalte AG in October 2019.
‘What I like about the practice is that high competence is combined with reliable and personal communication. In comparison to other big law firms, the assistance seems more individual and the direct conversation is more binding.‘
‘Loyalty, practical relevance, cost awareness, very good expertise, industry knowledge, good value for money.‘
‘Understanding of the matter and the willingness to solve problems promptly and in the participant’s consent. This particularly applies to Dr Thomas Gohrke and Stephan Finck.’
‘Achim Meier knows how to explain even difficult complex legal matters to clients.‘
Deutsche Telekom AG
Commerz Real AG
Quartier Heidestraße GmbH
- Advised the Deutsche Telekom AG on the reallocation and outsourcing of its Germany-wide facility management to the Danish service provider ISS for over EUR 1 billion.
- Support to the Ärtzeversorgung Niedersachsen on the purchase of the Springer Quartier, one of the largest project developments in Hamburg in a top location for over EUR 400 million.
- Advised the Commerz Real AG on the purchase of the UNITANK-Gruppe, which operates several fuel depots in Germany and Belgium.
Mayer Brown LLP
Headed by Fabian Hartwich, the real estate practice at Mayer Brown LLP predominantly acts in Berlin and Frankfurt in sales and acquisitions of prestigious offices and mixed-use properties both during their project development as well as after completion. The advice to Anglo-American asset managers and investment companies on the realisation of environmentally afflicted logistics sites is a constantly growing area for the practice.
‘The firm’s real estate firm generally stands out for its very high competence and efficiency. The creativity in finding solutions for complex matters in negotiations and structuring contributed significantly to our success. With regards to dealing with negotiation partners, their legit and solution-oriented behaviour is another notable attribute that is representative of the firm.‘
‘Fabian Hartwich is a very competent partner, who always finds solutions and negotiates these with the opposite party until the best possible result is achieved, all while remaining legit, determined and solution-oriented. His willingness to go the extra mile for his clients is another significant aspect that we value.‘
‘Fabian Hartwich stands out for his prudence and enormous market knowledge.‘
Generali Real Estate S.p.A.
DEMIRE Deutsche Mittelstand Real Estate AG
DIC Asset AG
Schroder Real Estate Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
- Advice to the Generali Group on the purchase of the Marienforum in Frankfurt.
- Advice to DEMIRE Deutsche Mittelstand Real Estate AG on the purchase of a portfolio of four office buildings in Essen, Cologne, Bad Vibel and Aschheim near Munich from the Publity AG.
- Advice to Schroder Real Estate Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH on the sale of the office building Europa Arkaden I in Darmstadt to Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate.
With a strong focus on Berlin, Raue's real estate practice lays its focus on the health sector, both with regards to object-related transactions as well as to contractual adjustments pertaining to the transfer of undertakings. In this context, Cornelia Gorn is the key contact. The group also advises in the asset classes logistics and residential, particularly in relation to project developments. Here, the team has particular strength with regards to the transfer of conversions sites out of intensive industrial use. The team around Klaus Goecke frequently acts either in agreement with or on behalf of the public authorities, for instance on the design of amendment agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Raue is composed of experts in various specialised fields, who stand out for their experience and promptness and thereby explain significant and relevant aspects of an investment opportunity as easy as possible. They highlight all important potential risks of a transaction, while evaluating them and proposing solutions at the same time. Therefore, transactions can be completed quickly and neatly, which is enormously important in the current market.‘
‘In addition to her technical expertise and experience, Dr Cornelia Gorn has a high degree of empathy for her respective negotiation partners and is therefore perceived as very pleasant and modest. At the same time, Ms Gorn always keeps an eye on her client’s interests and knows how to enforce these. Due to this mix, brilliant results are achieved. Contrary to her competitors, Dr Gorn doesn’t try to impress her clients or negotiation partners, but exclusively focuses on the goal, namely the successful completion of a transaction.‘
The real estate practice at Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein is clearly geared towards the M&A sector. Thus, based on the main contacts Wolfgang Scholl and Alexander Lehnen's competencies, corporate and tax advice to national project developers and investors on internal reorganisations and asset management stand particularly out. The firm also occasionally acts on behalf of international asset managers in transactions.
East Guardian AG
Hanse Merkur Grundvermögen
- Advice to GERCH on the refunding of the FFM police headquarters at a value of EUR 150 million.
- Ongoing advice on structuring and transactions with regards to taxes to Swiss Life, including on the sale of the new Allianz-Zentrale in Berlin to a Korean investor.
- Ongoing advice on transactions, structuring and tax to the East Guardian AG concerning the investment in the so-called 4711-area in Cologne.
The real estate practice at BMH Bräutigam & Partner is well versed in project development as well as the financing of acquisitions in the office sector. Under the aegis of young practice head Alexander Nast, commercial tenancy law has become one of the central pillars of the practice. The advice on transactions in the asset classes hotel and residential complement the advice offering, to which 'top transactional lawyer' and practice co-head Boris Reschucha significantly contributes.
‘From my point of view, the real estate team at BMH is a top choice for real estate law, extremely well-practiced for years and they advise on complex transactions and share deals, joint ventures and financings on particularly high level. The entire BMH team including their up-and-coming lawyers is extremely responsive and efficient and in comparison to other firms, stands out for its outstanding hands-on mentality.‘
‘Boris Reschucha: perfect deal oversight and enormous instinct in negotiations; always achieves better results.‘
‘Boris Reschucha: valued advisor and sparring partner, due to his outstanding analytical skills not only in the legal area but also with regards to economic and strategic issues, which he knows to apply to come up with creative and unconventional solutions.‘
‘Alexander Nast: technically excellent, extremely committed, strong in negotiations and quick, and as a downright pragmatic, he always focuses on the essentials.‘
- Ongoing advice on commercial tenancy law concerning the objects of the SIGNA-Gruppe in Germany.
- Legal representation and ongoing advice on tenancy law to the Blackstone-Group regarding the Berlin portfolio.
- Advice to the Inspiration-Gruppe on the sale of a Berlin rental property.
BRL BOEGE ROHDE LUEBBEHUESEN
Managed from its Berlin and Hamburg offices, BRL BOEGE ROHDE LUEBBEHUESEN's real estate practice stands out for its strong presence in the Northern German region. Thereby, its focus lays on project development, in which context Marc Biebelheimer's team frequently advises contractors on the development of large-scale mixed-use areas. Verena Schepers regularly assists with longterm construction projects in the office sector, while Michael-Alexander Rojnic's activity ranges from transactions and rental agreements to out-of-court disputes in the asset class hotel. In addition to medium-sized real estate developers, asset managers and private investors, the client base also includes municipal utilities and municipal energy providers, which is reflected in the group's increasing assistance with infrastructure measures. Felix Baum joined from Kolaschnik Partner in January 2019, after Nadim Hermes left for Buse Heberer Fromm in December 2018. Arne Hecht , who is well versed in real estate tax law, joined Ebner Stolz Mönning Bachem in April 2019.
‘The team at BRL is very approachable, offers a central and competent key contact, who quickly coordinates with respective colleagues if the legal issues demand this and therefore delivers fast and unprompted responses, to an extent that I can easily review and understand.‘
‘High-quality synergies, which one can use with experts of diverse specialist areas for complex and interdisciplinary matters.‘
‘Competent team, clearly structured, always available and able to respond.‘
‘Jörg Siecke: Never has a deal failed because of him, neither because of an urge of showmanship nor because of the unnecessary inflation of contracts. He has broad wealth of experience and very good longterm memory. He is unassailable due to his coordinated and strategic approach.‘
‘Michael Schäfer: He is brilliant in court and complicated negotiations, but is also happy to assume the bad guy role. Mr Schäfer tends to be underestimated due to his younger-looking appearance and is therefore the perfect secret weapon.‘
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The eight-strong real estate practice at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP lays its focus on transactions in relation to both individual properties as well as cross-border portfolios. The team is particularly active in the asset class hotel, where residential multi-occupancy properties and office properties take on an important role. In addition, its Anglo-American client base, which is composed of institutional investors and private equity firms, regularly instructs the team around Thomas Keller with financing issues pertaining to the acquisition of conversion sites and existing buildings in the plant engineering, retail and logistics sectors. The partner base was strengthened by the arrival of Sven Wortberg from King & Spalding LLP in April 2018.
- Advice to Patrizia on the sale of the Metro-Konzernzentrale in Düsseldorf to the Arminius Kapitalgesellschaft mbH for EUR 200 million. The property includes seven buildings with more than 75.000 sqm rental space overall, distributed on a site with approximately 45.000 sqm.
- Advice to ARDIAN in the course of the purchase and financing of an office building in the Spichernstraße in Berlin.
- Support to ARDIAN on the purchase and financing of the Heinemann-Bogen in Munich.
Jebens Mensching PartG mbB
The advice offering of Jebens Mensching PartG mbB is based on the assistance provided to investors, banks and project developers with sales and acquisitions of national portfolios of all sizes. Particular focus points of the team around Philipp Jebens and tax lawyer Oliver Mensching lay in the asset classes residential and retail, where the group is advising a growing client base on corporate, tax and supervisory law-related structuring of complex acquisitions.
‘The firm generally stands out for its very good team capabilities. All team members are optimally informed, representations are perfectly organised and the technical expertise is very well transferred onto “younger” team members.‘
‘Oliver Mensching, Heiko Petzold and Bendix Christians have outstanding technical competence paired with the ability to explain complex contexts in a comprehensible and relatable manner also to non-German-speaking clients in English, while also advising on possible legal consequences and potential economic risks.‘
‘As an in-house colleague, one can rely on Hildrun Siepmann 100%.‘
Dänische Pensionskasse PFA
BMO Real Estate Partners
- Advice to the joint venture consisting of ECE and Strabag Real Estate on the sale of two landmark buildings of the ‘Intelligent Quarters’ in Hamburg with a complex acquisition situation by the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg in the course of the asset deal.
- Support to PFA on the purchase of the Century-portfolio (33 residential properties in 15 locations across Germany) with a gross-investment volume of more than EUR 1 billion.
- Advice to DC Development on the purchase of a residential building and a residential tower at the Überseequartier in Hamburg in the course of comprehensive project development advice, including reciprocal obligation-to-build contracts with the seller.
Möhrle Happ Luther is traditionally geared towards transactions in the commercial properties field. Furthermore, its day-to-day business is increasingly characterised by the assistance with project developments. The two longstanding partner Anne Schöning and Oliver Reimann are sought-after for advice on acquisitions and realisations of logistics sites, particularly when the public authorities act on the buying side, while Simon Golshan has been instructed several times in relation to new car park developments. In addition to asset managers and project developers, the four-partner team also advises the urban development company HafenCity Hamburg GmbH on sales of numerous construction sites on an ongoing basis.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is outstandingly experienced in complex land sales (and therefore also in acquisitions), particularly of the public authorities, where it is not only or predominantly about legally secure land transfers and selling price protection, but about implementing urban development political concepts in contracts in such a way that goals are operational as well as controllable.‘
‘MHL combines legal and tax advice through close-knit cooperation and absolutely seamless collaboration of its specialists in both areas in a unique way. This facilitates the implementation of very complex and international transactions.‘
‘Excellent understanding and knowledge in the area of commercial tenancy law, particularly in relation to project developments und subsequent design of rental agreements with construction duties and relevant and essentially important relation to general contractor agreements, which is prepared simultaneously.‘
‘Dr Schöning and Mr Reimann mean highest reliability for all our needs, which encompasses availability, competence and advice.‘
‘Besides undoubted expertise in real estate law, Dr Schöning is able to manage even very complex international transactions confidently at any given time. She operates with a unique foresight and always stays on top of things. Her conciliatory manner makes her a very valued negotiation partner also for the opposite party.‘
‘Particularly notable is Oliver Reimann, with whom we have been working for 20 years. He is intelligent, quick, legally sound, has a precise grasp, is a strong negotiator, exceedingly solution-oriented and creative at the same time. Absolutely recommendable.‘
HafenCity Hamburg GmbH
AXA Investment Managers Deutschland GmbH
Quantum Immobilien Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft
MAGNA Asset Management
- Support to AXA on the sale of two office buildings in Munich to LaSalle Investment including advice on financing, as well as ongoing asset management for several commercial projects across Germany.
- Legal advice and advice on tax law to Quantum on the purchase of a new multi-storey car park to be constructed, including a terminal for long-distance busses at the main train station Leipzig, from a project developer.
- Support on the purchase of two hotel complexes at the holiday park Weiße Wiek in Boltenhagen.
The real estate practice of young, Hamburg-based firm Neuwerk Rechtsanwälte has a focus on investment law advice to capital managers, institutional investors and developers on complex transactions in the asset classes office, retail, logistics and manufacturing facilities. Due to the regularly provided expertise of M&A expert Kirsten Seeger, the firm was able to win several multistage instructions for international transactions. The team around founding partner Claudia Jehle and Philipp Jehle, who joined from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, also assists the public authorities with the realisation of large-scale project developments.
‘The expertise, team spirit, reliability and availability are exceptional.’
‘Claudia Jehle is competent and an outstanding negotiator.’
Dodenhof Posthausen KG
DWI Grundbesitz GmbH
Universal-Investment-Gesellschaft mbH (KVG) / Quantum (Investment Manager)
Billebogen Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
- Advice on real estate to SK Capital with regards to the planned purchase of the methacrylate-sector of Evonik. The mandate concerned the German part of the Evonik stock.
- Advice to the Universal-Investment-Gesellschaft mbH (KVG) / Quantum (Investment Manager) on the purchase of an office buliding in Munich from AXA which is to be renovated.
- Support to the Billebogen Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG on the development of an urban district in Hamburg near the Überseequartier.
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP
The broad real estate practice at Pinsent Masons Germany LLP is able to stem international instructions from the transactional, project development and financings areas. The flagship of the Munich-based team around Wolfram Pätzold is its expertise in advising predominantly Anglo-American insurers on the structuring of transaction-related W&I insurances; here, Jörn Fingerhuth is the main contact. The advice offering is characterised by an interdisciplinary approach that includes traditional transactions as well as asset management, tax advice and investment structuring. Tobias Nuß joined the firm from BEITEN BURKHARDT in February 2019 and Katharina von Hermanni, who also specialises in transactions, came from Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH in May 2019.
American International Group/AIG Europe
Liberty Global Transaction Solutions
RDI REIT Plc
Conren Land AG
- Ongoing support to the Liberty GTS on M&A insurances for real estate, M&A and private equity transactions in Germany as well as tax insurances. The mandates include the support on the completion of buyer- as well as seller-policies, with which liability risks under written guarantees and exemption from liability are insured.
- Advice to RDI REIT Plc in the course of the (re)financing of different real estate projects in Germany with an overall volume of more than EUR 200 million.
- Support to Patrizia on the purchase and sale of three residential real estate portfolios.
Geared toward transactions, the real estate practice at Simmons & Simmons specialises on the financing of single asset and portfolio acquisitions both on borrower as well as creditor side. Wolfgang Kotzur is a renowned contact for multistage set ups of investment platforms, while practice head Matthias Wagner also advises on tenancy law issues in the asset classes office, logistics and residential.
Other key lawyers:
‘Constant presence and outstanding availability/response times.‘
‘Due to his technical expertise, his high personal commitment and integrity, Matthias Wagner is far more than a legal advisor to our company, he is a confidant to us.‘
LBBW Asset Management
M7 Real Estate
- Advice to the LBBW Immobilien Asset Management on the sale of two office buildings in Ismaning near Munich to WealthCap.
- Support to M7 Real Estate on the refinancing of four credit facilities to finance the purchase of several real estate portfolios and their securitisation.
- Support to publity AG on the purchase of the office complex St. Martin Tower in Frankfurt am Main from the Swiss Hansa AG in the course of a share deal.
SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte advises an international client base on transactions and project developments as well as on financings issues across several asset classes. In addition to a significant strength in commercial tenancy law, in which context Olaf Kreißl regularly assists medium-sized companies, practice head Jan Prielipp's team also has expertise in transactional due diligence as well as project development and litigation. A particular niche is covered by advising social institutions on developer-specific legal issues, while various national real estate funds instruct the firm with corporate matters. The client base is complemented by institutional investors and the public authorities.
‘Reliable, good organisation. Comprehensive, secure contract design in the field of fundamental rights and construction law.‘
‘Very pleasant atmosphere, nice welcome, quick reactions.‘
‘Jan Prielipp has very sound knowledge of tenancy law for social enterprises. Competent advice on equal footing, takes his client serious, very structured work approach with relatable proposals for action, very competent litigious representation.‘
‘Mr Prielipp is a very pleasant conversation partner, who skilfully applies his legal advice to difficult matters and who positively influences even difficult negotiations in our interest through his reliable, assertive and simultaneously pleasant demeanour. With regards to technical expertise, one always feels in good hands with Mr Prielipp. Particularly positively notable is his ability to create legal advice that is practical and immediately implementable. This is of particular importance to us. There are many legal theorists, but not many succeed in applying this expertise as practical added value in the real world. Mr Prielipp does succeed. His communication happens in a way that even legal laymen can quickly grasp legally complex matters and solutions can be found together. Deadlines were always met by Mr Prielipp, documents were always exemplarily prepared and reviewed.‘
‘Dr Kreissl is a highly intelligent contact for legally and economically complex matters.‘
‘Friedemann Scholten is an extremely diligent and methodically operating lawyer.‘
The advice offering at WAGENSONNER is based on transactions, project developments and tenancy law matters across all significant asset classes. The biggest focus lays on Munich and surroundings, while Andreas Helm 's team is also frequently instructed with the structuring of tenancy agreement in the Westphalian region. The client base includes insurers, capital managers, project developers and private investors, particularly family offices.
‘Coverage of all relevant fields related to real estate law. Personal assistance by trusted contacts, not an anonymous major law firm.‘
‘Outstanding negotiation skills, constant availability, competent across all areas.‘
‘Quick handling, enjoys a very good reputation in the industry. Absolute professionals with regards to real estate, i.e. across all areas such as public law, private law, tenancy law, sales contracts.‘
‘The specialisation and experience in real estate law are a distinction factor that is tangible throughout.‘
‘Quick, pragmatic, nevertheless thorough approach.‘
‘Andreas Helm: outstanding negotiation skills, competent demeanour, quick handling of matters.‘
Württembergische Lebensversicherung AG
- Advice to the Württembergische Lebensversicherung AG on the purchase of a logistics property still in development.
- Ongoing advice on tenancy law (in particular on the negotiation and completion of new tenancy agreements) to AXA concerning over 20 managed properties across the whole of Germany.