CMS' environmental and planning law team is one of the biggest in the market. The group has particular expertise in assisting with complex approval and planning approval procedures for large, environmentally relevant projects, especially in the energy, infrastructure and transport sectors. The practice is strengthened by the close, internal interplay between public law and energy law expertise and various possibilities of cross-practice cooperation. The team is also sought after for compliance matters, particularly in relation to permits for chemical corporations, for instance with regards to immission control, transactions and contaminated sites matters. The firm remains on the pulse of time, thus advising on compensation matters related to the coal phase-out as well as on specific issues pertaining to water law. Christian Scherer-Leydecker and Ursula Steinkemper head the team and Fritz Von Hammerstein is a key contact specifically for advice on coal phase-out.
Planning and environment in Germany
Dolde Mayen & Partner
Jointly led by Winfried Porsch in Stuttgart and Markus Deutsch in Bonn, the environmental and planning law team at Dolde Mayen & Partner frequently has its finger on the pulse of legal developments when advising and representing clients in judicial proceedings. For instance, the group advises on planning approval notices, urban air pollution control plans and large infrastructure projects with 'absolute expertise and high practical orientation'. The team has expertise in immission protection, nuclear and radiation protection, conservation and water law as well as waste disposal and soil protection, genetic engineering and substance law. The team assists with issues pertaining to environmental impact assessments, strategic environmental reviews, access to environmental information, environmental liability and environmental law aid. Clients include a number of DAX-listed companies, federal and state agencies as well as municipalities. Particular sector focuses are the energy sector as well as the automotive and transport industries. Klaus-Peter Dolde is an 'excellent expert in nuclear energy law' and Bernd Schieferdecker has 'remarkable expertise' for example in water law.
Großkraftwerk Mannheim GmbH
Lidl Dienstleistungs GmbH & Co. KG
Papierfabrik Palm GmbH & Co. KG
Projektgesellschaft Neue Messe GmbH & Co. KG
Röther Immobilien GmbH
- Lake Constance water supply: Advice on issues relating to licensing law for the construction of the new tapping points on Lake Constance (the Lake Constance water supply supplies a large part of Baden-Württemberg with water from Lake Constance); the new building project has a volume in the three-digit million range and the mandate has a cross-border relationship because Lake Constance is an international body of water.
- State of Hesse: Representation of the state of Hesse in the DUH lawsuit regarding the clean air plan for the city of Frankfurt am Main.
- Opel Automobile GmbH: Complaint proceedings (completed in November 2019) and legal proceedings (since December 2019) against the recall order of the Federal Motor Transport Authority due to the allegation of the use of inadmissible defeat devices in diesel engines.
The team for environmental and planning law at Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH is at the forefront of innovative, future-relevant issues. The practice encompasses expertise related to the coal phase-out as well as advice to gas power plant operators and natural gas suppliers in relation to the energy revolution among other matters; here, counsel Tobias Leidinger is able to apply his experience in advising on the nuclear phase-out. In the area of climate protection, the firm keeps its finger on the pulse and represents clients in the hydrogen energy sector which is continuously expanding. Its case load includes matters concerning water and wastewater law matters as well as advice on ambitious urban development projects and housing developments with a geographic focus on Berlin but also Frankfurt. Stefan Kobes in Berlin heads the practice which benefits from the distribution of environmental and planning expertise across several offices.
Compagnie de Saint-Gobain
Adler Real Estate
- LEAG - Lausitz Energie Bergbau AG: Comprehensive legal advice to the client as the operator of open-cast lignite mines and power plants in Lusatia in connection with the exit from coal-fired power generation.
- Stadtwerke Leipzig: Building and immission control law support for power plant construction (CCGT system) and advice to the municipal utilities since the application in the BIm-SchG approval process, also in the context of public participation and beyond.
- Uniper Global Commodities SE: Advice on licensing law for the client as the developer of an LNG landing terminal in Wilhelmshaven – a pilot project in Germany.
Holger Schmitz, who can draw on longstanding expertise and experience in this field, heads the broad environmental and planning law practice at Noerr. The team handles construction and planning law matters and advises on issues concerning housing developments as well as city quarter and infrastructure projects. Classic transactional instructions also form part of the practice. Energy remains the group's sector focus: here, the team possesses environmental and planning law expertise with regards to hydrogen but also wind energy, lignite and nuclear energy. In a politically highly relevant matter, the group advises the federal government on negotiations concerning the lignite-based electricity phase-out. Additionally, the team also assists retail companies and industrial corporations with general and product-related environmental law.
” Excellent skills in the field of administrative law, in particular spatial planning and land-use planning law. ‘
‘ Dr. Schmitz and Mr. Federwisch distinguish a high professional quality in questions of spatial planning law. You are well informed about current relevant case law. You are able to develop innovative approaches with your client to find a solution to litigation proceedings. This also applies to judicial proceedings.Dr. Schmitz benefited greatly from his studies in geography. ‘
Redeker Sellner Dahs
Redeker Sellner Dahs' environmental and planning practice regularly assists with a multitude of varied matters related to large and politically significant projects both for the public authorities as well as for companies. The practice's central pillars are construction law, immission protection, project-related environmental law related to nature and species conservation, product-related environmental law and chemical and substance law. The sizeable team not only advises cities and federal offices forensically, but also represents the Federal Republic of Germany before the European Court of Justice. The group is also well versed in specialist areas of environmental law, such as water and mining law and in the air traffic sector. Most recently, the team grew considerably on associate level; additionally, Christian Eckart made equity partner in January 2020, while Kathrin Dingemann and Julian Ley made counsel at the same time. Tobias Masing heads the practice which also includes Olaf Reidt.
The environmental and planning law practice at Gleiss Lutz, which counts notable companies as well as federal states and municipalities among its clients, predominantly advises on large projects such as the realisation of very-high-voltage lines. The team is also involved in matters pertaining to coal phase-out and air purity. The practice demonstrates fortes in product-related environmental law and compliance matters; here, the team advises automotive clients among others. Marc Ruttloff, partner in Stuttgart since the beginning of 2020, complements the practice's expertise in product-related environmental law. The Berlin-based Andreas Neun heads the team.
- Amprion: (Technical) planning law support for the realization of a high voltage line according to the Federal Requirements Plan Act.
- State of Baden-Württemberg: Advice and legal representation regarding air pollution control planning in Reutlingen.
- District Government Dusseldorf: Representation before the Higher Administrative Court of Münster to defend against various lawsuits / urgent applications against the planning approval decision for the ZEELINK natural gas pipeline.
Mark Butt in Munich heads the sizeable environmental and planning law team at GSK Stockmann which focuses on real estate project development and infrastructure planning. Thus, the team handles matters pertaining to the expansion of various railways and the planning, approval and construction of a large underground extra-high voltage project. The firm also advises on urban development projects ranging from the conversion of former industrial locations to the planning of entirely new city quarters that are initiated by notable corporations such as Lidl or Siemens among others. Representation in and advice on environmental matters such as immission protection are also part of the practice. Frank-Florian Seifert and Stefan Geiger both made equity partner in January 2020 and contribute to the environmental and planning team's success. The arrival of of counsel Hans-Michael Mache, formerly in-house at TenneT, in January 2020 has increased the team's contacts within the industry.
IKEA nein50Hertz Transmission GmbH
Sontowski & Partner
DB Netz AG
- Lidl: Advice on obtaining building permits for several food discount markets and mixed-use project developments (retail and residential / serviced apartments) in various regions of Germany, in particular the metropolitan regions of Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Stuttgart.
- Siemens AG / Siemens Real Estate: Comprehensive advice on the construction of the major urban development project “Siemensstadt 2.0” in the Berlin district of Spandau.
- DB Netz AG: Advice on environmental and planning law in the planning approval procedure; Advice on planning law for an important long-distance transport project; Development of legal possibilities to accelerate the planning of large infrastructures.
Founded in 2018 by a former Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer team, boutique offering POSSER SPIETH WOLFERS & PARTNERS focuses on assistance with large public sector projects of extensive political significance. Thus, the group was involved in negotiating the national coal phase-out for RWE and also participates in a significant constitutional appeal concerning the legal position on offshore wind projects. The practice's mainstays also include advice to the automotive sector as well as advising hydropower plants on water law matters; here, the practice's internationality becomes particularly apparent. The boutique is also expanding its transactional practice. The team around key contacts Wolf Spieth, Herbert Posser and Benedikt Wolfers can draw on longstanding experience and a good political network.
Other key lawyers:
” Leading environmental boutique in Germany. ‘
‘ Wolf Spieth, Niklas Hellermann: outstanding and leading experts in environmental and planning law. ‘
” Large team of environmental law lawyers who clearly and stringently present the environmental law relationships and thus demonstrate the great practical relevance for those subject to law (especially companies and authorities). ‘
” Open discussion of current issues, also with regard to the practical consequences of a regulation. Proactive advice. Good team performance. ‘
‘ The Düsseldorf team around Dr. Herbert Posser is incredibly committed and young, yet absolutely highly qualified. The spirit of the Freshfields spin-off is still a little in the air and has a wonderfully motivating effect on the work. ‘
” In addition to the Düsseldorf partner Dr. Herbert Posser, Principal Associate Katja Schramm, is a great environmental and planning lawyer, excellent at organizing even very big things, always keeping an overview and yet keeping an eye on every detail. A brilliant mind in a very nice personality and an excellent lawyer. However, at the associate level there are many bright minds in this team, including Dr. Mannefeld, Dr. Gonsior or Mr. von Nordheim. It is a pleasure to work together with the young lawyers alongside the partner level. ‘
‘ All partners have extensive expertise in environmental and planning law. ‘
‘ Dr. Posser has an excellent knowledge of all constitutional and administrative law. He has an excellent strategic mindset and is also a very pleasant person to talk to. ‘
PNE AG Strabag SE Mainstream
Scandlines Deutschland GmbH
Automobilindustrie(VW, Audi, Porsche)
Drägerwerk AG & Co
GNS Gesellschaft für Nuklear-Service mbH
HafenCity Hamburg GmbH und Billebogen Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
Hülskens Holding GmbH& Co. KG
JEN Jülicher Entsorgungsgesellschaft für Nuklearanlagen mbH
Knauf Gips KG
LEAG und MIBRAG
MEG High Court Macquarie Group
Open Grid Europe GmbH
Preussen Elektra GmbH
Rump & Salzman
RWE Nuclear GmbH
Sägewerk Schwaiger GmbH & Co. KG Bauwesen
Sea Wind Management GmbH
thyssenkrupp Steel Europe GmbH
Vattenfall Europe WärmeAG
- Automotive industry (VW, Audi, Porsche): Defense against lawsuits from Deutsche Umwelthilfe against type approvals and the decommissioning of VW diesel vehicles.
- LEAG and MIBRAG / to WFD / FGG Elbe: Advising the mining industry for the third management period under water law for the Elbe river basin community; Preparation of fundamental reports and advice to companies in the implementation.
- Strabag: Preparation of a lawsuit (together with an international commercial law firm) against the Federal Republic of Germany in arbitration under the contract for an energy charter according to the ICSID rules; the proceedings are strategically closely related to the constitutional complaint against the complete devaluation of investments in German offshore wind farms.
Clifford Chance's environmental and planning law practice advises on large, complex projects in the energy as well as the chemical industry, with regards to raw material extraction and in the infrastructure sphere. Planning law advice to transmission system operators in the electricity and gas sectors is another focus. Within the firm, the team is also actively involved in M&A transactions and project financings, and represents clients in approval proceedings. Cross-practice cooperation with the real estate practice as well as with colleagues in the finance law space is a significant aspect of the group's activity.
Other key lawyers:
' Excellent expertise; very good understanding of business issues; Ability to find pragmatic solutions even in legally demanding situations; understandable presentation of complex topics. '
' Dr. Matthias Elspaß: Very friendly and pleasant to deal with, great specialist knowledge, strong solution orientation, finds pragmatic solutions, works very cost-oriented (i.e. in the interests of the clientele). '
GvW Graf von Westphalen
Ronald Steiling heads the environmental and planning law practice at GvW Graf von Westphalen, which is particularly strong in advising on significant infrastructure, construction and planning permission matters. In this area, clients include both federal state ministries and municipalities as well as real estate corporations and transport companies. Another core competence is environmental advice t industrial and commercial companies, particularly in relation to immission protection proceedings. The key contacts Sigrid Wienhues and Ulrich Hösch, who regularly advises airports, are supported by Andreas Wolowski, who made equity partner in January 2020.
' Good communication within the team. Very good foreign language correspondence. Very good international teamwork. '
'' Well-founded competence in planning approval and environmental law including economic issues (threat to the existence of infrastructure projects). Very thoughtful and independent in developing the facts. Many years of knowledge, therefore targeted advice. The planning approval team at GvW creates a pleasant and goal-oriented atmosphere for discussions at all times. High work output and easy accessibility even at unusual times. Very adaptable to workload / special questions due to the size of the law firm. '
' Dr. Steiling, Ms. Lindau, Dr. Ramsauer and Ms. Soravia – was increased by additional RAe as needed and without any problems, both for special questions as well as wg. Time pressure. Therefore, Dr. Drömann + Team and Prof. Winterhoff + Team worked for us. All of them were technically completely convincing and appear very professional and calm. The internal organization of the large team ran smoothly and the accounting was also very accommodating. Extremely pleasant cooperation and a lot of commitment and initiative for our two projects. In particular, I have Ms. Lindau and Dr. Steiling has come to appreciate her over the long period of cooperation and can recommend her without reservation for planning approval law. '
vhh – Verkehrsbetriebe Hamburg-Holstein GmbH
Flughafen München GmbH
Hessen Mobil – Straßen- und Verkehrsmanagement
Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Wirtschaft und Verkehr des Landes Schleswig-Holstein
Konsum Genossenschaft e.G.
Clariant Produkte (Deutschland) GmbH
Otto Wulff BID-Gesellschaft mbH
Malteser Hilfsdienst gGmbH
Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Verkehr, Arbeit, Technologie und Tourismus des Landes Schleswig-Holstein
STK Immobilien GmbH
Hoffnungstaler Stiftung Lobetal
Union Investment Institutional Property GmbH
AIDA Europe GmbH
Deutsche Asset One GmbH
BPD Immobilienentwicklung GmbH
- vhh - Verkehrsbetriebe Hamburg-Holstein GmbH: Advising the publicly owned company and representation in legal proceedings against the city of Schenefeld (standards control proceedings before the OVG Schleswig) and district (VG Schleswig) regarding the company's planned construction of a new bus depot, in particular for the expansion of the electric fleet.
- Henstedt Ulzburg community: After the law firm was able to advise the municipality of Henstedt-Ulzburg on the establishment of the REWE headquarters, they have since been commissioned with further advisory mandates and appointed to represent them before the OVG Schleswig in a standards control procedure directed against the municipality.
- BPD Real Estate Development GmbH: Advice on the development plan Westliche Volmertswerther Straße (Düsseldorf) – quarter development of a former commercial / industrial area into an urban area (approx. 1.8 ha) with approx. 200 apartments and a comparable amount of commercial space, in new construction.
The environmental and planning law practice at Hogan Lovells International LLP encompasses advice to the energy, water, infrastructure, chemical and automotive sectors as well as project-related assistance in the real estate and plant engineering industries. Patrick Ayad heads the department for product-related environmental law, in which advice to leading automotive industry players on compliance issues plays an important role. However, the group also assists globally active companies in the consumer and industrial goods as well as electronics and technology sectors on product-related environmental law. In the area of general environmental law, the firm is increasingly often instructed with regards to transactional due diligence, specifically in matters concerning the acquisition of German assets by international companies; here, the international cross-practice cooperation across offices becomes particularly apparent. Thomas Dünchheim in Düsseldorf heads the general environmental and planning law practice. The team was recently strengthened by the arrival of Stefan Schröder, a key contact for matters pertaining to hydrogen, from DLA Piper.
Other key lawyers:
BPD Immobilienentwicklung GmbH
FERRERO MSC GmbH & Co.
GfE Gesellschaft für Elektrometallurgie mbH
Hahn Fonds Invest GmbH
Harry Brot GmbH
Honeywell International Inc.
IPK Germany Property Kaiserlei Projektgesellschaft mbH
IPK Immoundplan&Krause London Vermögensverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
Officefirst Immobilien GmbH
Stadtgalerie Velbert GmbH
ZIA – Zentraler Immobilienausschuss e.V.
Zweckverband Gruppenwasserwerk Dieburg
Ford of Europe
Hyundai Motor Group
- FERRERO MSC GmbH & Co.: Advising Ferrero MSC GmbH & Co. KG on public law.
- Honeywell International Inc.: Ongoing advice on various legal issues, including support for a major remediation case and the negotiation of a public-law contract with the responsible authority.
- Harry Bread GmbH: Accompaniment of a change approval procedure according to BImSchG for the commissioning of a new baking line in Ratingen.
Lenz und Johlen
Lenz und Johlen's environmental and planning law team is headed by the trio Rainer Voß, Inga Schwertner and Alexander Beutling. Clients include notable retail companies in the food and furniture sectors as well as project developers in the housing sphere. The team further assists with large urban development projects and advises on renewable energy resources in the environmental space, such as wind turbines. A new focus for the team is its participation in cross-border advice to clients in the care and healthcare sector, for instance with regards to hospital construction projects. Schwertner leads advice to companies on securing locations and applying for immission protection permissions.
' Very competent, both professionally and personally! '
' Dr. Voss – very competent and highly regarded by the authorities. Dr. Libert – also very competent. Both are very reliable and pleasant to deal with personally. '
' The lawyers Lenz and Johlen were recommended to us as a specialist law firm for processing a procedure in the area of wastewater tax in an administrative court proceeding. We felt we were in good hands and represented at all times, both professionally and legally. '
' The partner who supports us is technically and legally well versed and is very familiar with the area of wastewater law that is important to us in this context. '
Kliniken Kandkreis Lörrach
FC Köln GmbH & Co. KGaA
ABO Wind AG
Action Deutschland GmbH
Aldi GmbH & Co. KG
Art Invest Real Estate
Bauhaus AGBecken Development GmbH
Chefs Culinar West GmbH & Co. KG
Decathlon Sportartikel GmbH & Co. KG
Gewi projekt Leverkusen GmbH
Gontermann Peipers GmbH
Instone Real Estate Group AG
Kölner Sportstätten GmbH
Korthaus GmbHLidl GmbH & Co. KG
Lindt & Sprüngli
Möbel MartinModerne Stadt GmbH Köln
Pandion Real Estate GmbH
Porta Service- und Beratungs GmbH
Rehasan Kliniken Holding GmbH
Rhein-Sieg Abfallwirtschaftsgesellschaft mbH
Rosco Management GmbH
Stadt Niederkassel (Evonik)
Ten Brinke Projektentwicklung GmbH
Waldner Wohnungsbau Gmbh
Zahlreiche Städte und Gemeinden
- Moderne Stadt GmbH, Cologne: Advice on the project -Deutzer Hafen in a cross-practice team; The takeover of the mill area for the client in summer 2021 is currently being prepared.
- Lörrach district clinics: Supervision of the new building of the Lörrach Clinic; Cross-team advice on all property-related, licensing, subsidy and procurement law issues.
- Gerchgroup AG - Deutz quarters: Supporting the Düsseldorf project developers in the entire urban development of the new Deutz Quartiere, including civil law project management, including drafting contracts.
Linklaters' environmental and planning law practice focuses on assisting with complex planning and approval procedures in the energy and infrastructure sectors. Hereby, the group supports clients in advisory capacity as well as in claims or summary proceedings in court. With regards to environmental law, the team possesses experience in chemicals and waste disposal law in addition to expertise in natural and water law. The advice spectrum also entails assistance with environmental and planning law issues related to transactions. Markus Appel in Berlin heads the team. The firm is aiming to expand its product-related practice which is headed by managing associate Sebastian Meyn.
Headed by Norbert Wimmer, White & Case LLP's environmental and planning law practice covers a broad array of issues. The practice encompasses the assistance with large construction projects, advice on housing real estate as well as matters in the energy sector. Product-related advice to automotive manufacturers represents another sector focus. The team is frequently involved in transactional instructions and further offers regulatory due diligence advice. Clients include chemical companies, real estate developers, federal states, aviation sector players and product manufacturers. The firm also impresses with its focus on innovations as well as the development and implementation of legal tech.
Other key lawyers:
First Solar Inc.
Großer privater Immobilienentwickler
- Daimler AG: Comprehensive regulatory advice for the automotive group (including consumption and emission behavior of cars / vans, trucks / buses in Europe and Asia), both with a view to past-related risks and with a view to the implementation of the new regulations that are gradually coming into force.
- DIC/Sun Chemical: Advising the Japanese fine chemicals company DIC Corp. and the US subsidiary Sun Chemical Corp. on the planned takeover of the global pigment business from BASF – BASF Colors & Effects (BCE). This was a challenging global transaction in which the law firm was able to bring its chemical and substance law expertise to full advantage, in addition to the issues of pollution, soil protection / contaminated sites and waste law that always had to be covered when selling production facilities.
- Great private real estate developer: Comprehensive advice and representation vis-à-vis the responsible authorities in various housing construction and renovation projects in Berlin and the new federal states, particularly in building planning and monument law.
The strengths of avocado rechtsanwälte's environmental and planning law team around the three practice heads Markus Figgen, Thomas Gerhold and Ralf Kaminski lay in waste and waste disposal law. In this area, advice pertaining to the Packaging Act, which entered into force at the beginning of 2019, assistance with matters related to the Commercial Waste Ordinance, waste disposal advice in relation to sanctions as well as the representation of waste producing and waste disposing companies in criminal and fine proceedings represent important key activities. Environmental issues pertaining to cross-border waste shipment also play a significant role. The client base includes chemical industry companies, waste disposal companies, raw materials companies; but also cities and institutions of the public authorities.
'' High level of competence, practical problem-solving skills, fast response times. Pragmatic and accomplished. '
' M. Figgen: very quickly, very to the point, high personal integrity. S. Böll: very committed, competent and affectionate. '
'' Large network at many German business locations, coverage of (almost) all areas of law in business life, excellent reputation in all industries. '
' Markus Figgen + Dr. Thomas Gerhold + Dr. Ralf Kaminski + Dr. Robert Windeln: All gentlemen are absolute specialists with a high level of expertise, outstanding specialist knowledge and many years of experience / work in the respective specialist areas / focuses. '
' High level of professional competence combined with the ability to explain it to the client in a “non-legal” way. Good and quick communication. '
'' A high degree of flexibility in the matter, quick and technically excellent execution on the respective topic. Good accessibility. Justus Heldt and Markus Figgen. '
'' Relationship of trust, factual and professional competence, time-oriented, absolutely reliable, always approachable no matter when. '
' Markus Figgen: quick contact, competent, high level of knowledge of our market, time-oriented, RELIABLE. '
Arbeitsgemeinschaft (deutsche undösterreichische Entsorgungs- undBauunternehmen)
AWB Köln GmbH
Asphalt Ladenburg GmbH
BDE Bundesverband der DeutschenEntsorgungs-wirtschaft e.V.
CONREC GmbH über
Diverse Hoch- und Tiefbauunternehmen
Engel Umwelttechnik GmbH
Flughafen in NRW
GMVA Gemeinschafts-MüllVerbrennungsanlage Niederrhein Gmbh
KMR-Marine Surveyors GmbH / CustosConsult
MAV – Mineralstoff – Aufbereitung und -Verwertung GmbH
PRS premium Recycling GmbH
REMONDIS Konzern (u.a. REMONDISGmbH & Co. KG: Region Rheinland,Region Süd, Region Ost, Region West)
Schönmackers Umweltdienste GmbH &Co. KG
Stadt Neustadt an der Weinstraße
Stiftung Elektro-Altgeräte Register
- Airport in NRW: Advice on the disposal of waste containing PFT.
- City of Neustadt an der Weinstrasse: Extensive mandate with a wide range of civil, administrative and sanction law disputes, which contain complex issues of waste and plant approval law
- Mineral oil company: Advice and representation in waste and product law borderline issues.
Baker McKenzie's environmental and planning law practice encompasses waste disposal law as well as plant- and product-related environmental law. The team also handles regulatory issues pertaining to transactions in the energy sector. With regards to its key competence in product-related environmental law, the group often acts in the automotive industry and also assists with matters concerning battery law and explosion protection. The supply chain law in Germany is of considerable significance to the practice. The team is headed by Marc Gabriel and regularly advises on environmental, construction and planning issues of real estate transactions and financings. Ulrich Ellinghaus is the key contact in Frankfurt.
The environmental and planning law practice at CBH Rechtsanwälte focuses on advising investors, companies and the public authorities on large infrastructure and construction projects. Thus, the firm is involved in the planning of roads across Germany or in pipeline and power line projects. City quarter developments and housing projects also represent key activities for the practice.
Within DLA Piper's environmental and planning law practice, its traditional forte in product law continues to stand out while related compliance and regulatory matters are increasingly gaining importance. In addition, related planning law matters have also come to the fore once again. The team advises on several infrastructure projects, but also handles environmental issues, for example pertaining to air pollution control plans and water contamination. Hereby, the practices assists a considerable number of DAX30-listed companies alongside other notable national and international clients, including raw material suppliers, industrial corporations, energy companies and automobile manufacturers. The firm is also consulted by the public authorities. Ludger Giesberts heads the partner duo; Guido Kleve is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
CytoSorbents Europe GmbH
European Chemicals Agency
Flughafen KölnBonn GmbH
GS Engineering and Construction Corp.
Wintershall DEA GmbH
- European Chemicals Agency: Representing ECHA vis-à-vis companies that fail to meet their fee obligations and demonstrate their status as SMEs.
- city Cologne: Representation of the city of Cologne in court proceedings on the legality of the Cologne Air Quality Plan (LRP) before the Higher Administrative Court of Münster as well as advice on the preparation of the clean air plan The plaintiff is Deutsche Umwelthilfe eV and the defendant is the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, which draws up the clean air plan.
- Wintershall DEA GmbH: Advising the oil and gas production company with regard to defective oil wells; Representation vis-à-vis the authorities and in all regulatory offenses, legal and criminal questions.
Gaßner, Groth, Siederer & Coll.
Gaßner, Groth, Siederer & Coll. assists clients with waste disposal law, nuclear law, water law and construction law aspects of approval procedures and environmental impact assessments. The practice's expertise also entails site remediation, soil protection law, immission and traffic noise protection as well as conservation law. The team is frequently consulted by the public authorities.
Project management is an important central pillar for GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB's environmental and planning law practice around Christoph Riese. The team advises companies and private project sponsors as well as the public authorities on the planning and realisation of construction projects. It also assists clients with matters concerning the energy revolution and lignite mining. Species protection and conservation also play an important role within the practice, particularly water resources legislation. Clients include federal states and its agencies, municipalities, energy suppliers and industrial companies. The group also handles judicial proceedings if necessary. Kersten Wagner-Cardenal is a key contact.
EWE AG (Ardian)
Gaskraftwerk Leipheim GmbH & Co. KG
Land Brandenburg (Landesamt für Bergbau, Geologie und Rohstoffe)
Niedersächsische Landesbehörde für Straßenbau und Verkehr
Sächsisches Oberbergamt / Freistaat Sachsen
Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie
Carl Eichhorn KG Wellpappenwerke
E.ON Energy Projects GmbH
Energie- und Wasserversorgung Bonn/Rhein-Sieg GmbH
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg, Behörde für Wirtschaft Verkehr und Innovation
Froneri Icecream Deutschland GmbH
Froneri Schöller Produktion GmbH
Früh Brauerei / Cölner Hofbräu P. Josef Früh KG
Gasnetz Hamburg GmbH
Hamburg Port Authority AöR
Koehler Renewable Energy GmbH
- Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency of Germany: Representation of the defendant Federal Republic of Germany (BSH) in an environmental damage lawsuit against the Butendiek offshore wind farm. The action was dismissed by the Hamburg Administrative Court and the Hamburg Administrative Court; The appeal proceedings are currently pending before the BVerwG.
- Lower Saxony state authority for road construction and traffic: Project management for the preparation and implementation of six planning approval procedures for the new construction of a 380 kV extra-high voltage line.
- State of Brandenburg (State Office for Mining, Geology and Raw Materials): Advice on financial security for the recultivation of opencast mines (conclusion of provision agreements).
Hengeler Mueller's team primarily advises clients on complex projects that, alongside environmental and planning issues, also frequently entail regulatory, criminal and civil law aspects; here, the practice can rely on the close personnel and topical interplay between the practice groups energy, compliance, litigation and M&A. The team's mainstays are advice on product-related environmental compliance, responsibilities for environmental impacts, contaminated sites management and soil protection, real estate transactions and infrastructure projects. The energy revolution continues to be an important topic. The longstanding team members Susanne Koch and Moritz Rademacher made counsel at the beginning of 2020.
An extensive wealth of experience in environmental and planning law is one of the main characteristics of Hoffmann Liebs' team around Volker Hoffmann. The practice has particular expertise in soil protection and contaminated sites and comprehensively advises on land recycling among other matters. The team also assists and represents industrial companies in immission protection approval proceedings, for instance in the chemical industry or in the renewable energy space. The environmental and planning law advice to municipalities and real estate companies in relation to urban development and construction projects are other mainstays of the practice.
' The team is quick to react, very reliable in its cooperation, has an understanding of industrial customers and their specific mandate requirements, a high level of transparency in the provision of services and cost accounting. '
' Lawyer Volker Hoffmann is an absolute expert in environmental law and is closely networked with experts, institutions and other market participants in the field of contaminated sites management. His readiness is impressive, especially in this area, through detailed work in the preparation of the facts and through z. To achieve a considerable added value for the client in part, own historical research. '
' The entire office, as well as each contact person, is always easy to reach. The collaboration works extremely well and is completely uncomplicated, both professionally and personally. The service level is super good. '
' You quickly learned which topics are important to us as clients. Contract negotiations are not entered with maximum demands, but solutions that can be compromised are quickly offered. You don't get lost in small-scale negotiations and you don't burden the agreements, as well as the budget, with unnecessary regulation mania. Even with really strenuous negotiation partners, the overview remains available. '
Köhler & Klett, Rechtsanwälte
Environmental and planning law boutique Köhler & Klett, Rechtsanwälte covers a broad array of activities. The team advises large waste disposal corporations on waste disposal issues and also handles matters concerning the recycling economy. The group further offers support in traditional immission protection law and planning law, particularly with regards to infrastructure projects. Another sector focus lays on the chemical and agricultural industries. Furthermore, the team also represents federal ministries and corporations in landmark proceedings concerning the energy revolution and climate protection. Anno Oexle and Wolfgang Klett jointly head the team.
Other key lawyers:
' This is the leading law firm in German environmental law. We have fought a long-standing legal dispute with a powerful opponent with the firm and won. We have also been able to rely on the very good strategic advice on upcoming legislative initiatives. '
' One of the leading law firms in environmental and planning law – small but nice. '
' Dr. Oexle is an excellent and very dedicated lawyer and Dr. de Diego is a very good trial lawyer. '
' With the combination of experts in environmental, procurement and civil law, this law firm is a one-stop-shop for companies in the circular economy. The law firm's partners are characterized by a very good knowledge of market developments and practice, a hands-on approach and easily understandable language. Sound and actionable advice for both SMEs and corporations. To be recommended without reservation. Truly a top law firm whose strength lies in specialization. '
' Dr. Oexle: Certainly one of the most prominent environmental lawyers in Germany. especially one of the greatest experts on the topic of cross-border waste shipment. Dr. de Diego: solid contract law expert in the area of environmental liability; realistically assesses opportunities and risks. Dr. Lück: practical understanding of the application of the VergabeR and familiar with the procurement chambers and their ruling practice throughout Germany, all three court experiences and – successfully. '
'A highly specialized and extremely well-versed and experienced unit within these specialist areas, as well as extremely pragmatic mandate management with a high level of economic understanding. '
' Anno Oexle (excellent specialist and industry knowledge, especially in waste and packaging law, also extremely well networked, very calm and professional mandate management, an exemplary lawyer in every respect). Thomas Lammers (outstanding environmental and waste lawyer, also pragmatic and with a sense of the clients' economic needs). Alexander de Diego (brilliant lawyer, quick comprehension, excellent specialist knowledge of corporate and general civil law). '
'In the area of waste law, the law firm can only be recommended in terms of professionalism and quality. She is committed, competent and professional. The expertise in the above-mentioned field is excellent. '
' Dr. Anno Oexle is a specialist in the field of waste shipment law. He is always available, more than technically competent and extremely committed.His know-how on waste shipment law is impressive and can only be recommended. '
' Dr. Anno Oexle: Very in-depth knowledge and always a solution approach ahead – plus a very high level of commitment to the process (“burns” for the case) . '
' Dr. Alexander de Diego: extremely competent and assertive. '
- Federal Republic of Germany: Judicial representation of the Federal Republic of Germany, represented by the Federal Government, in the defense of the so-called "climate protection lawsuit" filed by Greenpeace and other plaintiffs at the Berlin Administrative Court.
- Federal Republic of Germany (Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture): Legal representation against the so-called 'nitrate lawsuit' of the German Environmental Aid before the Higher Administrative Court of Berlin-Brandenburg and the Higher Administrative Court for the State of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Group companies from the circular economy: Legal representation in a fundamental case before the European Court of Justice on the scope of the export license requirement for secondary raw materials.
Raue's environmental and planning law team behind practice head Wolfram Hertel focuses on assistance with urban development projects and large infrastructure developments. Thus, the group advises on plans for the redesign of the Berlin-Tegel airport. Clients include the public authorities, real estate companies and larger corporations. Occasionally, the group also advises clients on environmental issues, for example with regards to immission legislation and water law or in judicial proceedings. Hans Heller made counsel in January 2020.
In the planning law space, Taylor Wessing's environmental and planning law practice behind proven expert Norbert Kämper focuses on advising the retail sector. Its advice offering in the planning field also entails assistance with transactions in the healthcare sector and with airport planning. On environmental level, the group advises industrial and commercial enterprises on waste disposal and contaminated sites matters as well as on immission protection legislation. Clients also include energy suppliers and agricultural companies. André Lippert, formerly associated partner at Gleiss Lutz, joined the team in December 2019.
' Excellent expertise, very easy to reach, quick response. '
' Dr. Andre Lippert – Excellent technical competence, very good availability, quick response, very reliable. '
Evangelische Stiftung Hephata
Graphite Cova GmbH
Investa Holding GmbH
Diehl Stiftung & Co KG
Stadtwerke Düsseldorf AG
Unitas e. V.
PCF GmbH (Pfleiderer Gruppe)
InFarm Indoor Urban Farming GmbH
- CEE Group: Legal advice on the acquisition of the Mohlis onshore wind farm with a total output of approx. 15 MW in Germany; in particular legal due diligence as well as drafting and negotiating the transaction documents.
- German poultry industry: Expert evaluation and advice on the legal classification of European marketing standards and their compatibility with national animal welfare labels as well as support in political implementation and possible legal proceedings.
- InFarm Indoor Urban Farming GmbH: Regulatory advice on the requirements of the EU plant health regulation for vertical farming (in so-called hubs, but also in-store in supermarkets), in particular with regard to the new obligation to label plants with a plant passport.
Allen & Overy LLP
The environmental and planning law practice of international firm Allen & Overy LLP has expertise in project and urban development. Here, the group can rely on good cross-practice cooperation, for instance with the real estate team, as well as on its cooperation with the firm's international offices. The team is instructed by both the public authorities as well as private investors. Additionally, the group also handles various aspects of environmental law, such as nuclear law or issues pertaining to waste management and sustainability. In its advice and representation of clients, the firm effectively utilises internally developed legal tech applications. Former practice head Olaf Otting left the firm in November 2020 to found his own boutique. Counsel Udo Herbert Olgemöller took on important leading functions.
Hamburger Gesellschaft für Vermögens- und Beteiligungsmanagement (HGV)
Bridgepoint Europe IV Fund
- City of Hanau: Presentation of "planning legal food for thought" for the city of Hanau in cooperation with the planning office AS + P Albert Speer + Partner GmbH in July 2019 with regard to the special use (and avoidance of the demolition) of certain blocks of houses that have long been inhabited by the US armed forces and subsequently for used to accommodate refugees.
- evergreens Group: Advising the Viridium Group on the sale of the so-called 'Millennium Portfolio' of Generali Lebensversicherung AG to Commerz Real; The 'Millennium Portfolio' comprises 26 office, 14 residential and 9 retail properties with a total rental area of over 352,000 square meters in premium locations in the top 7 cities in Germany.
- Hamburg Society for Asset and Investment Management (HGV): Advising HGV on the acquisition of the remaining shares (74.9 percent) in Wärme Hamburg GmbH from Vattenfall for a purchase price of 625 million euros. Comprehensive advice on energy law issues.
Advice to clients on environmental issues and the representation in approval and administrative proceedings across Germany as well as in administrative court proceedings across all authority levels are all part of the key activities of public law boutique Baumeister, Rechtsanwälte. The client base includes industrial companies, clients from the energy, mining, utility and waste disposal sectors and the logistics industries among others. The group assists them with approval procedures for the construction and operation of environmentally relevant plants, such as incineration plants, landfill sites, water extraction plants and sewerage facilities or production plants for the chemical industry. Martin Beckmann and Georg Hünnekens are among the key contacts.
BBG und Partner
Jointly headed by Peter Schütte and Malte Kohls, BBG und Partner's environmental and planning law practice predominantly focuses on assistance with approval and planning approval procedures pertaining to complex infrastructure projects such as ports, roads, power plants, renewable energy projects, mining or offshore energy projects. The group also represents clients in claims in relation to environmental and planning law procedures. Contaminated sites is another of the practice's areas of expertise.
Other key lawyers:
50Hertz Transmission GmbH
Amt für Planfeststellung Verkehr-SH
EGNO Entwicklungsgesellschaft NorderstedtmbH
EWE Erneuerbare Energien GmbH
EWE Netz GmbH
EWN Entsorgungswerk für NuklearanlagenGmbH
Freie Hansestadt Bremen
Gemeinde Jade NeinHamburg Port Authority AöR
Hessisches Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Energie,Verkehr und Wohnen (HMWEVW)
Landesanstalt für Altlastenfreistellung des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt
Landesbetrieb Straßenbau und Verkehr Schleswig-Holstein
MDSE Mitteldeutsche Sanierungs- und Entsorgungsgesellschaft mbH
Stadtwerke Kiel AG
Tourismus GmbH Gemeinde Dornum
- Office for planning approval Verkehr-SH: Bundesstraße B5: Legal support for the plan approval authority in connection with the application of the developer in the plan amendment procedure, in the participation procedure, in the processing of the plan approval decision and with regard to possible preliminary orders. In addition, legal representation of the plan approval authority in legal proceedings against the plan approval decision.
- EGNO Entwicklungsgesellschaft Norderstedt mbH: Advice on soil protection law on the scope of remediation obligations in relation to a property with harmful soil contamination.
- EGNO Entwicklungsgesellschaft Norderstedt mbH: Opinion on the possibilities of closing down and clearing a commercial property if the permitted use is exceeded and the operator's obligations under immission control law are violated.
As part of the Government & Public Sector group around Frank Obermann, BEITEN BURKHARDT's environmental and planning law practice significantly contributes to the firm's integrated, cross-office and cross-practice client support. The focus of its environmental and planning law activity lays on the real estate and construction sector. The team frequently advises the public authorities as well as project developers or companies, for instance in relation to urban development projects or project developments. Sector focuses include retail, real estate, water supply and energy. The group also increasingly assists regional clients and investors.
- Dataform Dialogservices GmbH: Comprehensive advice on setting up a logistics location. It is about the construction of a commercial complex consisting of 2 large halls, office space, parking spaces for cars and trucks.
- City of Hofheim am Taunus: Supporting the development of a new district on an area of around 28 hectares.
- Westnetz GmbH: Comprehensive public law advice in connection with the construction and operation of high-voltage lines / 110 kV lines (especially in connection with the planning approval).
The focus of Bird & Bird LLP's environmental and planning law team lays on project-related environmental law, specifically construction planning law and Federal State Building Order, as well as on product-related environmental law, particularly chemicals legislation and substance law. In the latter area clients include automobile manufacturers, medical products manufacturers, utilities and energy sector players as well as hardware manufacturers for the IT industry. The practice frequently handles matters pertaining to soil protection, dangerous goods, packaging and waste disposal. The team offers clients due diligence advice on transactions as well as compliance assistance. René Voigtländer in Munich and Matthias Lang in Düsseldorf jointly head the practice. The team also includes Hermann Rothfuchs who impresses with his 'distinct ability to analyse complex legal issues related to administrative and environmental law'.
Other key lawyers:
Aluminium Oxid Stade GmbH
führender Hersteller von Beschichtungen
Führender internationaler Hersteller von Hardware
Führender internationaler Hersteller von Medizinprodukten
Internationaler Hersteller von Klimatisierungsgeräten
Internationaler Hersteller von Patientenüberwachung
- Amprion GmbH: Advice on several plan approval procedures for several extra-high voltage lines.
- Leading automotive supplier: Comprehensive advice in connection with the conformity of the relevant component with various guidelines.
- Urban society: Advice in the context of a property acquisition and the necessary measures for the later “renovation” of this property due to the historically significant “waste” deposited there.
Ilka Mehdorn heads Dentons' environmental and planning law practice that specialises in product-related environmental law, particularly in the recycling sector, and in advice to clients from the products and packaging industries. The practice frequently handles issues pertaining to waste disposal or packaging law, such as the implementation of the EU Single Use Plastics Directive. The firm impresses with cross-practice advice and its global set-up which enables the team to assist clients with matters in various international jurisdictions.
DPG Deutsche Pfandsystem GmbH
Emerson Electric Co.
Stiftung Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister(Zentrale Stelle)
TEDi GmbH & Co. KG
- TEDi GmbH & Co. KG: Ongoing advice, among other things, in product-related environmental and waste law matters.
- DPG Deutsche Pfandsystem GmbH: Advice on packaging law for the operator of the German one-way deposit system since it was founded.
- Central Office for Packaging Register Foundation: Comprehensive advice to the Central Office for Packaging Register Foundation on all legal issues, including the dominant area of environmental and waste law issues.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
The focus of Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner's environmental and planning law practice lays on environmental and waste disposal law as well as on chemicals legislation and substance law. The group also advises on immission protection right issues and the Packaging Act. Clients include chemical corporations, waste disposal companies, waste water services, electrotechnology companies and industrial corporations. The Cologne-based Olaf Konzak heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
' Dr. Olaf Konzak. Convincing expertise in environmental law, strong argumentative appearance in negotiations with the authorities. Understandable and concise memos. '
MAD Recycling GmbH
- t: MAD Recycling GmbH: Advice and representation before the Federal Administrative Court. The basic judgment states that public waste disposal authorities are not allowed to prohibit the activity of commercial waste collectors if, in the opinion of the authority, they have not provided sufficient information, including on sales according to Section 18 of the Recycling Management Act (KrWG).
Headed by Martin Hamer, Greenberg Traurig Germany's environmental and planning law practice distinguishes itself by the transnational focus of its advice among other. The team assists with large complex international projects that span several jurisdictions. Hereby, the continuously strong cooperation with its US and European offices is of particular benefit. On environmental level, the team focuses on advice on EU chemicals legislation, dangerous goods transport law as well as soil protection and contaminated sites. The team also receives instructions regarding construction and planning issues across Germany. Martin Borning, who made local partner in January 2020, continues to support the team with his expertise in energy law.
Other key lawyers:
'' Outstanding service level, in particular: processing times for time-critical processes, very good industry knowledge, very short training in special topics (e.g. mining law for underground storage of gas), excellent and target-oriented cooperation (national / international and cross-sectoral), adequate team strength for efficient cooperation, excellent knowledge of public Law specializing in energy law / mining law. '
' Dr. Martin Hamer: excellent customer orientation, cross-sector national / international orientation and processing of special topics, extremely efficient and technically sound, high-quality processing even with time-critical processes, high motivation and interaction with customers, excellent support and advice as well as team composition for special topics, high flexibility. Dr. Johann Schuldt: high motivation and interaction with customers, cross-industry processing, technically sound and efficient. Excellent customer support. High flexibility. '
ARB Investment Partners
Garbe Industrial Real Estate
- Barrick Gold: Regulatory advice to Barrick Gold on the shipment of mercury waste from South America to Europe and Germany, including the interim storage of large quantities of waste before the planned treatment.
- CBRE: Advising CBRE on environmental and planning law issues in the development of a feasibility study for an innovation park for companies and research institutions in the field of 'artificial intelligence' in Baden-Württemberg.
- Matheson Tri-Gas: Advising Matheson Tri-Gas on regulatory issues relating to the transport and distribution of industrial gases from the USA to several European countries.
The team for environmental and planning law at Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek around Thomas Nickel focuses on construction site development and predominantly advises on planning aspects of the construction of office buildings, industrial parks and housing. The practice assists municipalities, federal states, investors and companies. A significant expertise in the environmental space is the representation in proceedings concerning air pollution control plans and ban on diesel vehicles.
Other key lawyers:
Kapellmann und Partner
For Kapellmann und Partner's environmental and planning law practice, advice on issues pertaining to development law and judicial review proceedings is of significant importance, while the group is also adept in both environmental and conservation law as well as neighbourhood and monument protection law; this includes PPP projects, urban development agreements, neighbourhood arrangements, immission protection approval procedures and environmental liability issues. The team mainly assists with matters related to wind park construction projects and advises companies in the energy sector. Clients also include public players such as municipalities and federal states. Hendrik Schilder in Düsseldorf and Christian Bönker in Berlin jointly head the team.
KOPP-ASSENMACHER & NUSSER
The team for environmental and planning law at KOPP-ASSENMACHER & NUSSER advises clients on approval proceedings and planning approval procedures as well as on pertinent issues concerning water law, nuclear law, mining law and general environmental law (environmental information law, environmental impact assessments). The practice acts for medium-sized companies and industrial clients, DAX-listed corporations, but also for associations and public companies, ministries and administrations. The Berlin-based Stefan Kopp-Assenmacher and Gregor Franßen in Düsseldorf, who both have longstanding experience in environmental and planning law, jointly head the team.
' The team advises us primarily on questions of building product law and building regulations; Both are of essential importance for large parts of safety technology. In addition to legal skills, the team has a good network and extensive industry knowledge. The purely legal assessment is always placed in an economic and political context, which is very valuable for us as an association, as it leads to legally possible and economically or politically sensible courses of action. '
'Miss Dr. Marthe-Louise Fehse and Dr. Jens Nusser are recognized experts in their field of law. Both are highly regarded. Particularly noteworthy is the proposal they worked out to revise the European Construction Products Regulation, which has met with great interest at the EU COM. '
' Michael Halstenberg has many years of experience in building law authorities and institutions. With his expertise, he was able to help decisively on a number of strategic points. '
BETREM Emscherbrennstoffe GmbH
Bundesministerium für Umwelt und nukleare Sicherheit
Bundesministerium für Umwelt und nukleare Sicherheit
Schiefergruben Magog GmbH & Co. KG
Verband der Deutschen Biokraftstoffindustrie
- Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety: Representation of the Federal Government in administrative court proceedings on the complaint of a nuclear power plant operator against the 16th Act amending the Atomic Energy Act.
- Association of the German Biofuel Industry: Advice on the implementation of European law on biofuel promotion in national regulations.
- Volkswagen AG: Advice and representation in environmental law (including BImSchG approval procedure), planning law (B-plan procedure) and advice on product environmental and substance law.
Loschelder's environmental and planning law practice primarily focuses on water law. Immission protection law represents another important central pillar; here, the firm represents North Rhine-Westphalia in administrative claim proceedings. Cedric Meyer, who has nearly 20 years of experience in environmental and planning law, is the key contact.
Umweltpartner Vogel AG
- Environment Ministry of North Rhine-Westphalia: Advice and representation in litigation (appeal) of the DUH eV: against district governments because of the clean air plans in Cologne, Düsseldorf, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bonn and Aachen.
- Art-Invest: Project development for the I / D Cologne quarter development in Cologne-Mülheim: planned GFA of 150,000 m².
- Environmental partner Vogel AG: Advice and representation regarding the use of soil protection law investigation orders. The total damage on the 1,000 ha affected is estimated at around 5 billion euros; Various proceedings are currently underway against the local environmental authorities, the Mannheim Administrative Court and the Baden-Baden Regional Court.
The core competencies of Oppenhoff's environmental and planning law practice are advice on waste water and waste disposal as well as on soil and immission protection. Environmental advice concerning production plants developments is also of importance to the practice. The team is headed by Stephan Müller and also advises on environmental approval procedures and environmental compliance. It assesses contamination risks and also utilises its expertise in chemical law, environmental liability and criminal environmental law. Clients include several international companies.
Other key lawyers:
Führendes internationales Industrieunternehmen
- Large German energy supplier: Advice on environmental, energy and planning law in connection with the decommissioning and dismantling of a hard coal power plant.
- Eastman Chemical: Advice on environmental law on old industrial sites.
- Finatem: Advising the private equity fund on the acquisition of the Food & Service group on environmental and other public law issues (environmental / public due diligence).
The environmental and planning law practice at Oppenländer Rechtsanwälte advises different political players and represents them in judicial proceedings. The group also advises commercial enterprises on dealing with federal regulations and enforcement of its desired operations. The team exhibits strength in planning law advice to automotive supplies and retail companies as well as companies in the packaging industry, but also to the public authorities. The energy sector is another focus. Christofer Lenz and Torsten Gerhardt jointly head the practice.
' Collegial and approachable, no know-it-alls but well-founded, resilient and confident specialist knowledge that is made understandable in brilliantly formulated written statements. '
E. Breuninger GmbH & Co.
EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG
ForstBW jaKies und Sand Masselheim (Gemeinschaftsunternehmen vonzwei großen Kiesabbauern)
Land Baden-Württemberg – Staatsministerium
Röhm Gruppe Wendlingen
Sport Sohn Handel neinTUBEX GmbH
- E. Breuninger GmbH Co.: Successful representation before the Stuttgart Administrative Court for the expansion of the Breuningerland in Ludwigsburg.
- State of Baden-Württemberg (State Ministry): Representation in appeal proceedings before the Federal Administrative Court on information in connection with Stuttgart21; Submission to the ECJ.
Pohlmann & Company
Pohlmann & Company's environmental and planning practice exhibits particular strengths in the field of environmental compliance and also has expertise and experience in matters concerning climate protection, emissions trading and at the interface between environmental law and air traffic rights. The team advises and represents clients across various sectors. Horst Schlemminger's expertise entails risk management and best practice with regards to environmental claim management, environmental management systems, environmental compliance and clean-up contracts. He jointly heads the team with Uwe M. Erling, who joined from Noerr in January 2020 and specialises in climate protection and carbon dioxide emissions trading legislation among other matters.
' Uwe Erling sets a good example. Very responsive and has an excellent understanding of environmental law. '
' Uwe Erling – outstanding environmental lawyer in Germany. '
'' Very good detailed knowledge of environmental law and in particular of the Greenhouse Emissions Trading Act (TEHG). '
' Contact only with Mr. Uwe M. Erling (partner): Very good and extensive advice on the subject, regular information on current legal developments and very good contacts to the responsible authorities and decision-makers. '
Celanese Production Germany GmbH & Co. KG
Ticona (jetzt Celanese Services Deutschland GmbH)
- Celanese Group: Comprehensive compliance advice in connection with water pollution and soil pollution in the InfraServ industrial park in Gendorf and the surrounding area (PFOA, carcinogenic).
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft)
The environmental and planning law practice at PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft) predominantly supports German and international companies, although the team also acts for public authorities and, for instance, advises on urban development projects. A special focus lays on the waste disposal sector and water law. Michael Bierle in Frankfurt heads the team. Eike Westermann left the firm at the end of 2020.
Hanse- und Universitätsstadt Rostock
- Degewo AG: Support of the construction project Dessauer Straße 37-39 in Berlin-Lankwitz – residential and commercial building with more than 180 apartments in particular advice on public building law and procurement law.
- Hanseatic and university city of Rostock: Support for the Rostock multi-purpose port project: The former Warnemünde shipyard is to be converted into a multi-purpose port. The focus was on advice on immission control law.