With a strong team covering a wide range of issues, CMS' practice continues to be one of the top addresses for environmental and planning law advice. Particularly noteworthy is its representation of clients in the context of large infrastructure and construction projects for spatial planning, planning approval and approval procedures, as well as in a number of third-party challenge proceedings, with Christiane Kappes, for example, leading advice to and defence of the much-noticed Fixed Fehmarnbelt crossing project. The energy and raw materials sector is another mainstay of the practice, whereby its close cooperation with the energy practice is of great benefit. The team advises industrial companies on environmental and planning law compliance, and also regularly demonstrates in-depth expertise in water, waste and product-related environmental law. Christian Scherer in Cologne jointly leads the practice with Ursula Steinkemper in Stuttgart. Fritz von Hammerstein is 'circumspect and competent'.
Planning and environment in Germany
‘Industry knowledge, experience with water rights proceedings, networking.’
‘Coverage of all areas of law including tax law, high professional quality, international orientation. ‘
‘Miss Dr. Ursula Steinkemper (Stuttgart law firm): Great professional know-how, confident appearance, quick to react, also a very pleasant person on an interpersonal level.’
‘The team around Dr. Fritz von Hammerstein represented us very carefully and competently in two administrative court disputes that were important for our company. It is remarkable how in-depth the team is not only legally, but also environmentally versed and can discuss complex questions of nature and species protection law with our environmental experts on an equal footing. The excellent connection to the responsible authorities was particularly helpful. He made it possible to coordinate and implement unconventional solutions in a short period of time, which would normally have taken much longer. The cooperation with the obviously well-established team is smooth, fast and efficient.’
‘ Fritz von Hammerstein’s legal and strategic advice on environmental and planning law can be relied upon. He is very experienced. He communicates openly, understandably and is not afraid to tell unpleasant truths. He gets to the heart of complex legal and strategic issues.’
‘We really liked the Associate Dr. Clara Volkert (environmental law), who drafted very focused briefs under time pressure with great commitment and independently coordinated them with our project team, the environmental experts and the authorities.’
Femern Bælt A/S
Hamburger Wasserwerke GmbH
Hanseatic Energy Hub GmbH
K+S Minerals and Agriculture GmbH
Verbund AG und Innwerk AG
- Comprehensive advice to Femern Bælt A/S in the planning approval process for the fixed link across the Fehmarnbelt (investment volume over €7 billion) one of the largest European infrastructure projects. Defense of the plan approval decision before the Federal Administrative Court.
- Assessment and conception of all legal, in particular regulatory requirements for the hydrogen pilot project of the city of Frankfurt am Main and Mainova AG, taking into account the entire value chain.
- Advising Jochenstein AG (Verbund AG) in the planning approval process for the construction of a 300 MW pumped storage power plant on the German-Austrian border.
Dolde Mayen & Partner
Dolde Mayen & Partner's practice takes on a formative role in German environmental and planning law by representing clients in major court proceedings, by preparing insight-driven opinions and recommendations, and by supporting large infrastructure projects. Clients predominantly include companies as well as federal, state and local authorities who benefit from the 'very high quality standard' of practice heads Winfried Porsch and Markus Deutsch's team and, among other things, seek advice on immission, nuclear and radiation protection, water law and nature conservation. The team also has expertise in energy generation, line expansion and transport infrastructure. Klaus-Peter Dolde 'excellently understands how to weigh up and evaluate possible alternative procedural variants in planning law issues', while Bernd Schieferdecker frequently assists with water law issues and is considered 'an excellent specialist lawyer with the very best references'. Frank Hölscher joined Noerr in September 2021.
‘The law firm has extensive experience in the various areas of public law and can make this available at very short notice and in a targeted manner for our concerns. So far there has not been a challenge in which we have not received the best quality, practical and quick support. The economic dimensions were always recognized and taken into account in our client’s interest.’
‘Prof. dr Dolde has an excellent understanding of how to weigh up and evaluate possible alternative procedural variants in planning law issues with regard to time and legal dimensions and risks. dr Porsch accompanied us on particularly sensitive projects (interaction between technical systems and nature conservation law) and identified critical areas with a great deal of political flair at an early stage and thus prepared concrete fields of work and possible results. His strategic foresight was very helpful.’
‘The team is a good mixture of very experienced and young colleagues. The law firm is very well networked in Baden-Württemberg and rightly enjoys an excellent reputation among public authorities. We treat each other as equals and receive honest, open and trusting support. The lawyers seem to see themselves as a real team within which there is a close professional exchange when key issues of others are touched on. In public law, the law firm covers a wide spectrum. Absolute benchmark in construction, environmental and planning law.’
‘Particularly noteworthy is Dr. Matthias Hangst, who handles all legal issues in construction, environmental and planning law with confidence and clarity. Requests are processed quickly, but extremely thoroughly and excellently. The litigation is also efficient and successful. Communication is trusting and open. Absolute recommendation.’
‘Very high quality standard. Often available and “available” at very short notice.’
‘We really enjoy working with Dr. slaters together. His outstanding professional qualities help a lot. In addition, the “human contact” is very likeable.’
‘The only contact person is Dr. Bernd Schieferdecker: An excellent specialist lawyer with the very best references: very fast response times with the highest quality of services. Widely recognized by our contacts at authorities and ministries, by our contractors, as well as internally. Very strategic thinking and at the same time able to present complex relationships in an understandable way.’
Großkraftwerk Mannheim AG
Kaufland Dienstleistung GmbH & Co. KG
Projektgesellschaft Neue Messe GmbH & Co. KG
Terranets bw GmbH
Transnet BW GmbH
- Advising the state capital of Stuttgart on changing the contracts with DB for faster utilization of the track apron areas purchased by the city, which will become available for urban development after the implementation of the Stuttgart 21 project.
- Support of a power grid operator in an approval process for the construction of a grid stability system (grid booster).
- Expert opinion and recommendation for the Senate Department for the Environment, Transport and Climate Protection, Berlin, on the stockpiling of early species protection measures as part of the city-wide compensation concept of the State of Berlin.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's team is continuously involved in future-oriented projects, such as flagship projects related to the development of the hydrogen economy and support for companies in phasing out lignite. In addition, clients are advised on the introduction of national fuel emissions trading, with Stefan Altenschmidt being an experienced contact. Tobias Leidinger, who made partner in February 2021, plays a leading role in the nuclear law field, where he most recently oversaw several highly complex advisory and forensic matters. Martin Fleckenstein is considered a key contact for planning advice and maintains a 'very good connection with administrative authorities'; the practice here is dedicated to sophisticated urban development projects, residential construction projects and monument protection issues. Stefan Kobes in Berlin leads the team, which also includes Sabrina Desens, who made partner in July 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge of the regulatory challenges of the nuclear energy industry in Germany, in-depth experience of litigation in public law to enforce industry interests.’
‘Prof. Leidinger not only has excellent knowledge of the legal situation, but also of the political situation and the social challenges facing the nuclear energy industry in Germany.’
‘Dr. Altenschmidt always responds to our inquiries in the shortest possible time, precisely and comprehensively. He is able to present complicated issues in an understandable way. He pays attention to details without getting lost in them.’
‘Experience and connection to the administrative staff.’
‘Dr. Martin Fleckenstein has a very good management network and enjoys mutual trust. This enables diplomatic solutions to be found.’
Compagnie de Saint-Gobain
Adler Real Estate
ABROS Eins GmbH & Co. KG
Bundesgesellschaft für Endlagerung mbH (BGE)
Esso Deutschland GmbH
- Advising BP Europa SE on a joint venture with RWE to produce green hydrogen in a large-scale industrial project, which is currently the largest hydrogen project in Germany.
- Legal advice for several years to the Bundesgesellschaft für EndRepository mbH (BGE) as well as legal project management for the implementation of the plan for the retrieval of radioactive waste from the Asse II mine.
- Advising Stadtwerke Leipzig on the planned conversion of the HKW Leipzig Süd power plant, which is still under construction, to operation with green hydrogen.
Noerr stands out for its advice to prestigious clients and its assistance with major political and legal developments in environmental and planning law, while 'innovative approaches to dispute resolution' represent one of the team's strengths. The advice and representation of the Federal Republic and the federal states form an important pillar of the practice, such as assisting the federal government with its coal phase-out and advising on legal and planning projects for the generation of wind energy. In addition, the group regularly advises the public sector on urban development measures; here, recently appointed partner Christian Alexander Mayer frequently contributes his transport sector expertise. The team further demonstrates know-how not only in general, but also in product-related environmental law and, for instance, assists with environmental regulatory matters in the automotive industry. Practice head Holger Schmitz is an excellent contact for politically sensitive issues due to his extensive experience in European and constitutional law.
‘Professionally very competent, punctual work; innovative conflict resolution approaches in the area of spatial planning and energy law; very courteous staff.’
‘Very good expertise and know-how.’
‘Many years of experience, very good expertise in the requested topics, very good and competent advice, very good cooperation and very pleasant exchange.’
- Advising the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) on the draft law to end coal-fired power generation.
- Advising the City of Frankfurt on the Frankfurt Northwest urban development project.
- Comprehensive advice to the Chinese automotive group SAIC Motor Corporation Limited (SAIC) in a multidisciplinary team on the design and implementation of a three-year European pool of non-affiliated car manufacturers to comply with the CO2 fleet limits with Volkswagen AG.
POSSER SPIETH WOLFERS & PARTNERS has established itself as one of Germany's top firms for environmental and planning law matters, which is not least due to its 'highest level of expertise' in this field. The team has taken on a formative role in the context of the currently most important environmental issues, such as advising on matters related to the national coal phase-out, assisting with large hydrogen projects and filing a successful constitutional complaint that entails central implications for the further development of offshore wind regulation. The team represents clients in contentious proceedings before German and European courts and assists affected companies with climate proceedings, among other matters. Large-scale planning matters represent another part of the practice: here, Herbert Posser contributes particular expertise in structuring complex approval proceedings. Wolf Friedrich Spieth advises and represents clients 'professionally and personally with extensive experience' and Benedikt Wolfers has expertise in potential liability crises as well as in advising on policy- and government-oriented matters. Niclas Hellermann is highly regarded and Katja Schramm made partner in January 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Highest professional competence, extremely innovative and without the bow wave of big law firms. A really successful case of boutique start-up. And the partners work on the mandates themselves, no delegation down to the Hiwi level.’
‘Outstanding in every respect: Wolf Spieth – professionally and personally with extensive experience, in an advisory capacity and in the process. Think ahead and communicate clearly, pragmatically and undogmatically, thinking outside the box!’
‘Leading practice in almost all areas of public commercial law. High degree of specialization. Excellent track record, especially in environmental law through Wolf Spieth and Niclas Hellermann. Legal/academic excellence, while being pragmatic and solution-oriented. Also very strategic in the consulting approach.’
‘Strictly result-oriented, scientifically sound work based on extensive practical experience.’
‘In public law “on the pulse of time”. Good insights into current developments.’
‘Dr. Spieth: Outstanding knowledge of public law and energy law, offshore wind.’
‘Dr. Posser delivers excellent work in every respect.’
‘Broad wealth of experience, many years of consulting practice.’
Covestro AG / CO-Pipeline I
Covestro AG / UVP-Kumulation
EnBW He Dreiht GmbH
EURACOAL – Association Européenne du Charbon et du Lignite aisbl, DE-BRIV – Deutscher Braunkohlen-Industrie-Verein e.V., LEAG, MIBRAG, eins energie in Sachsen GmbH
GNS Gesellschaft für Nuklear-Service mbH
HafenCity Hamburg GmbH und Billebogen Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
Hülskens Holding GmbH & Co. KG
JEN Jülicher Entsorgungsgesellschaft für Nuklearanlagen mbH
Knauf Gips KG
Open Grid Europe GmbH
Peek & Cloppenburg KG
PNE AG, Strabag SE, Mainstream (17 Beschwerdeführerinnen)
RWE Generation SE
RWE Nuclear GmbH
RWE Power AG
Sägewerk Schwaiger GmbH & Co. KG
Scandlines Deutschland GmbH
Strabag / Schiedsverfahren Offshore-Wind
thyssenkrupp Steel Europe GmbH
Vattenfall Europe Wärme AG / Wärmewende
Verband der Chemischen Industrie (VCI)/KlimaSchutzG
VDA Verband der Automobilindustrie e.V.
Wacker Chemie AG
Zeelink GmbH & Co. KG
- Project management and lead support for RWE AG and RWE Power AG in phasing out coal, including advice on opencast mining planning, the future of the Hambach and Garzweiler opencast mines, a new mining area concept in the Rhenish mining area, a new NRW key decision, compensation issues, rehabilitation measures for the changed opencast mining operation and the state aid procedure at the European Commission.
- Support for Dow Chemical/Project Supernova in the restructuring of the DOW chemical sites in Germany.
- Representing RWE AG/Peru against a lawsuit to eliminate the consequences of climate change (first lawsuit of this kind in Germany, fundamental legal dispute).
Redeker Sellner Dahs
The Berlin-based Tobias Masing heads Redeker Sellner Dahs' team, which advises companies from the industrial and energy sectors as well as the public sector at federal and state level on a wide range of environmental and planning law issues. At planning level, the team is not only active in building law, but also assists with specialist planning for roads, rails, airports and waterways; this also includes large infrastructure projects, such as a submarine cable project between Germany and Sweden. In addition to immission control, the main focus within the environmental field includes project-related environmental law, various compliance issues and product-related environmental law. The experienced team also represents clients in various contentious proceedings. Olaf Reidt is often active in planning law matters.
- Advising 50Hertz Transmission GmbH on the Hansa PowerBridge project, a submarine cable project for high-voltage direct current transmission between Germany and Sweden through the Baltic Sea.
- Support from Bayer AG for the sale of a pharmaceutical filling plant in Leverkusen to the Chinese pharmaceutical manufacturer WuXi Biologics.
- Advising and representing the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation in various administrative and lawsuits regarding actions by a nature conservation association against the Butendiek wind farm.
Clifford Chance's practice around Mathias Elpass focuses on project-related advice, especially in the energy, infrastructure and chemical industries. For instance, the group advises network operators in the electricity and gas sectors as well as representing them in contentious proceedings and also assists with the first LNG terminal project in Germany. Another focus is M&A-transactional advice, for example to chemical parks. Off-setting represents an additional mainstay, as well as environmental law advice to banks that finance projects. The practice cooperates closely with its international project finance group and increasingly with the firm's real estate practice.
- Accompanying the Alegro project for Amprion, a joint project by Amprion and Elia and the first gliding current connection between Germany and Belgium.
- Advising Iberdrola Energie Deutschland GmbH on the implementation of new business areas in Germany, in particular in connection with the development of renewable energy generation systems (onshore PV and wind).
- Advising German LNG GmbH, a joint venture of Vopak, Oiltanking and Nederlandse Gasunie, on the planning, construction and operation of one of the first German liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals in Brunsbüttel.
Gleiss Lutz' team impresses with its 'high level of practical experience' as well as 'absolute reliability' and acts both for the public sector as well as prestigious German and international companies. The practice spans specialist planning law expertise, contentious proceedings before the Federal Constitutional Court and the Federal Administrative Court, as well as product-related issues. The team also supports other practice groups and industry groups within the firm, such as corporate, antitrust, energy and real estate. Burghard Hildebrandt is 'practical and solution-oriented', while Marc Rutloff is the key contact for compliance issues in product-related environmental law. The Berlin-based Andreas Neun heads the practice.
‘Absolute reliability; thematically very well incorporated into the various problem areas; high practical experience.’
‘Dr. Hildebrandt: Confident appearance; binding manner and always very well incorporated into the topic and problem areas, expresses nice and binding interaction; practical and solution-oriented.’
‘Dr. Cook: Very engaging manner; friendly and pleasant interaction; very good appointment preparation and problem awareness as well as solution-oriented. ‘
‘Fast and reliable support in contract negotiations. Good sparring partner in more complex legal issues.’
- Representation in court for the district government of Düsseldorf (plan approval authority) before the Federal Administrative Court because of a lawsuit and urgent application by the city of Krefeld against the plan approval decision for a 380kV extra-high voltage line by Amprion GmbH.
- Representing E.ON/Preussen Elektra in proceedings against the 16th amendment to the Atomic Energy Act before the Federal Constitutional Court.
- Successful constitutional complaint proceedings for the leading offshore wind developer EOS Kaikas/WPD against the offshore wind energy law.
Lenz und Johlen
Cologne boutique Lenz und Johlen provides 'very sound knowledge, precise advice' and a strong team. The client portfolio includes retail companies, project developers and industrial companies as well as federal states, cities and municipalities. Advice on the development of residential and urban districts continues to be one the practice's central pillars, as well as renewable energy sources where it advises and represents numerous wind farm operators. Practice co-head Inga Schwertner extensively assists with various environmental issues, while climate protection and water law in particular are becoming an increasingly important feature of the team's advice offering. Rainer Voß, experienced in construction and planning law, and Alexander Beutling, who has expertise in port projects, jointly head the practice with Schwertner.
‘Very well-founded knowledge, precise work, solution-oriented, well networked and very uncomplicated in terms of personal contact.’
‘The only contact so far is Mr. dr Order. He impresses with his quick and analytical comprehension as well as his high level of expertise; in on-site appointments, which he basically also likes to attend, he is a mediator who balances and weighs interests and can thus win over his.’
1. FC Köln GmbH & Co. KGaA
ABO Wind AG
Action Deutschland GmbH
Aldi GmbH & Co. KG
Aqualand Freizeitbad GmbH & Co. KG
Art Invest Real Estate
Bauwens GmbH & Co. KG
Becken Development GmbH
BIMA Bundesanstalt für Immobilienaufgaben
BIP GmbH Baumanagement und Objektsteuerung
BMR energy solutions GmbH
Centershop-Korn Vertriebs GmbH & Co. KG
Confiserie Paul Reber GmbH & Co. KG
Corpus Sireo Real Estate GmbH
Decathlon Sportartikel GmbH & Co. KG
ENNI Stadt & Service Niederrhein AöR
Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Köln und Region
Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Köln und Umgebung
GAG Immobilien AG
Globus SB Warenhaus Holding GmbH & Co. KG
Gontermann Peipers GmbH
Hafen Düsseldorf Reisholz Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
Haus Rabenhorst O. Lauffs GmbH & Co. KG
HBB Hanseatische betreuungs- und Beteiligungs GmbH
IG Gastro Interessengemeinschaft Kölner Gastronomen
Instone Real Estate Group AG
Kliniken des Landkreises Lörrach GmbH
Kölner Sportstätten GmbH
Lidl Dienstleistungs GmbH & Co. KG
Martin Wurzel HTS Baugesellschaft mbH, Manfeld, Sachsen-Anhalt
Ministerium für Wirtschaft (..) NRW
Moderne Stadt GmbH, Köln
Mr. Wash Autoservice AG
New Re GmbH
Pandion Real Estate GmbH
Ten Brinke Projektentwicklung GmbH
Tönnies Holding ApS & Co. KG
Waldner Wohnungsbau GmbH
- Support for Tönnies Holding Aps & Co. KG in regulatory closure proceedings and lawsuits against closure orders.
- Representation of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in the legal proceedings of the German Environmental Aid for the update of the climate protection plan with the OVG for the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. After representing the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in the procedures for the clean air plans, this mandate is another highlight for the environmental law practice of the law firm.
- Advice on building planning law to Development Partners on the new construction of the Gateway Düsseldorf high-rise tower, another lighthouse project for Düsseldorf that is shaping the skyline of the city.
GvW Graf von Westphalen
The client portfolio of the GvW Graf von Westphalen's team around Ronald Steiling in Hamburg includes state ministries, airports, municipalities, real estate groups and waste disposal companies. With its successful focus on planning approval law, the team applies its 'in -depth knowledge of all aspects of planning approval', among other matters, in complex infrastructure projects where it frequently acts on behalf of the authorities. In the environmental sector, the team assists with nuclear and waste issues, among others. Steiling has longstanding litigation experience before administrative courts, while Sigrid Wienhues advises on immission control and specialist planning law. Corinna Lindau made partner in January 2021.
‘ Deployable, experienced, highly resilient, constructive .’
‘Highly competent, reliable, fair.’
‘The team works very well coordinated and is extremely constructive.’
‘The cooperation with Sigrid Wienhues is characterized by good specialist knowledge, the response from the other side is extremely positive with regard to the possible negotiations.’
‘We were advised by Prof. Hösch. What distinguishes him is extensive knowledge / experience and the goal-oriented advice based on it. There is an excellent understanding of technical connections, of a traffic and structural nature. Added to this are the excellent accessibility and the always open ear.’
‘We were in contact with the Hamburg planning approval team (headed by Dr. Steiling), which was extremely broad-based and had in-depth knowledge of all aspects of planning approval. Due to the size of the subject of the order, which involved several days of negotiations before the BVerwG, GvW expanded the team several times. The cooperation of the many people deployed ran very well and professionally without any loss of information. The availability and commitment of the contact persons were outstanding. At the same time, it was noticeable that the main actors enjoyed the challenges of the case and were always willing to come up with sensible solutions. Support was provided both in the lawsuit and before that in the final phase of preparing the plan approval decision.’
‘The main contacts were Dr. Steiling and Ms. Lindau, who both worked very hard and, if necessary, also created drafts at short notice and at the weekend. In addition to the, of course, great expertise in the area of planning approval, the very friendly interaction of the entire team with each other and with the customers should also be emphasized.’
‘The distribution of the processing of the several hundred pages of pleadings from the various plaintiffs within the GvW team was incredibly professional and transparent to the client.’
ABR German Real Estate AG
Gemeinde Hammoor c/o Amt Bargteheide-Land
Hamburg Port Authority AöR
Hessen Mobil – Straßen- und Verkehrsmanagement
Ministerium für Infrastruktur, Energie und Digitalisierung Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Verkehr, Arbeit, Technologie und Tourismus des Landes Schleswig-Holstein
Bundesgesellschaft für Endlagerung mbH
GSK Stockmann's team is headed by Jan Hennig in Berlin and Wolfgang Würfel in Munich, 'sets standards in both legal expertise and networking' and acts with a clear focus on planning law issues. The practice's focus lies on advice on infrastructure planning, with renowned expert Andreas Geiger as the key contact, as well as assistance with urban development projects. Matters in the latter area are frequently taken on by Hennig and Wuerfel, among others, who predominantly advise private investors and developers, as well as occasionally cities and municipalities. The practice recently also expanded its activities in the energy and transport sectors. Claudia Busch and Kerstin von Staa made local partners in January 2021.
‘The law firm GSK has outstanding expertise in railway construction and operating law; the know-how there is also convincing beyond the purely legal issues, especially in relation to railway operations. The law firm is always extremely reliable and available at all times. The elaborations, statements, expert opinions, etc. testify to the highest level of professionalism and perfection. The law firm sets standards! ‘
‘The cooperation could not be better. They are always and directly available and act immediately. As a client, you feel that you are in the very best of hands and that you are being advised and supported with the best possible quality.’
‘GSK Stockmann sets standards in terms of both legal expertise and networking. Recognized as a fair partner by both municipalities and business.’
‘Dr. Seifert is technically very good, always up to date through teaching and consulting mandates for the public sector and, above all, understands the projects/tasks of the client. These are never lost sight of during legal advice and are broken down to the level of non-lawyers in an understandable way. We maintain a very open and trusting relationship and you can feel how happy he is to be actively involved in finding a solution.’
50Hertz Transmission GmbH
Bayerische Staatsforsten AöR
DB Netz AG
DB Station & Service AG
Die Autobahn GmbH des Bundes
Lidl Dienstleistung GmbH & Co. KG
Panattoni Germany Properties GmbH
STRABAG Real Estate GmbH
- Advising Siemens AG on the development of a new district into an urban quarter with a mixture of residential, lodging, office space and commercial and industrial uses.
- Advising 50Hertz on the SuedOstLink and Elf projects on property security issues in accordance with the EnWG and legal approval issues as part of the implementation of the high-voltage lines.
- Ongoing support for Lidl service GmbH & Co. KG in real estate projects, in particular in the development of new locations and the expansion of existing grocery store locations. In addition, support for complex project developments for mixed-use buildings in the metropolitan regions and projects for logistics locations.
Hengeler Mueller focuses, among other matters, on industry-related environmental law and has strengths in issues pertaining to pollutants as well as soil and groundwater contamination; here, Vera Jungkind is a key contact. However, the team also offers advice on various infrastructure and construction projects, with the increasing importance of environmental social governance also becoming more and more apparent within its practice. In the latter area, Jan Bonhage is an important contact, while Fabian Quast advises on various regulatory issues.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
Hogan Lovells International LLP's practice covers a wide range of environmental issues and includes immission control law, chemical law, soil protection and contaminated site law as well as product-related environmental law; assistance with compliance matters plays another important role, with advice on all aspects of industrial plants in particular representing a growth area for the team. The group is also regularly instructed by national and international companies to advise on the environmental due diligence of transactions. Thomas Dünchheim, who frequently acts at international level, heads the general environmental and planning law practice from the Düsseldorf office. Patrick Ayad leads the product-related environmental law sub-practice which acts with a special focus on regulatory assistance to automobile manufacturers and suppliers.
Other key lawyers:
‘Hogan Lovells has an excellent reputation in public law, especially in environmental and planning law. In our opinion, the law firm is characterized above all by the fact that it provides fast and practice-oriented advice of excellent quality.’
‘With competitors, especially smaller law firms, the processes are often more cumbersome and we do not receive advice at the necessary speed. We can therefore recommend the law firm without reservation.’
‘The players brought into our processes by Hogen Lovells are characterized by a level of commitment that is well above average coupled with experienced, exclusive expertise.’
‘The team is always and spontaneously able to competently solve the regular interdisciplinary tasks – public law/municipal law, planning law and company law etc. – the commitment knows no time limits combined with excellent reaction times. Hogen Lovells gave us maximum resilience and ensured the best professional security in every technical dispute, which can also be experienced by third parties.’
‘Prof. In addition to the comprehensive professional expertise, Duenchheim is characterized by a truly unique horizon of experience.’
IOI Oleo GmbH
Smurfit Kappa Herzberger Wellpappe GmbH
Autobahn Tank & Rast GmbH
FERRERO MSC GmbH & Co.
Hahn Fonds Invest GmbH
Kiepe Electric GmbH
Commerz Real AG
INTERBODEN Innovative Gewerbewelten GmbH & Co. KG
IPK Germany Property Kaiserlei Projektgesellschaft mbH
Herecon Projekt GmbH
Officefirst Immobilien GmbH
ZIA – Zentraler Immobilienausschuss e.V.
Fifth Generation (Tito’s Handmade Vodka)
Genesis Motor Europe
- Advising IOI Oleo GmbH on various chemical law issues under the REACH regulation.
- Advising various companies from the automotive industry, including well-known car manufacturers and automotive suppliers, on environmental law.
- Advising the Versicherungskammer group, Germany’s largest public insurer, on the €720 million acquisition of the Ferngas Group.
Headed by experienced Berlin environmental and planning lawyer Markus Appel, Linklaters' team excels at assisting with complex planning and approval procedures for large energy and infrastructure projects and acts here with a particular focus on grid expansion projects; this also includes representing clients in court and summary proceedings before the Federal Administrative Court. In addition, the team advises on numerous transactional matters relating to environmental and planning law, with clients benefiting in particular from the group's regulatory competencies in chemicals law and product-related expertise. Appel is supported by managing associate Sebastian Meyn, who has specialist knowledge of product-related environmental law and climate protection issues.
Other key lawyers:
White & Case LLP's clients include German and international companies from the automotive, energy, chemical and real estate development sectors. The team assists with large infrastructure projects, offers various regulatory advice, especially for the automotive industry, and is also active in complex contentious proceedings. Environmental and planning law advice in the context of large transactions forms another essential part of the practice. Norbert Wimmer heads the 'strongly client-oriented' team and draws on experience in regulated industries and projects. Counsel Anna Burghardt-Kaufmann supports him and focuses, among other matters, on chemicals and mining law as well as soil protection.
‘The administrative law/ litigation team at White & Case from the Berlin office impresses with its specialist knowledge in a legal area for which there has hardly been any higher court jurisprudence to date.’
‘The colleagues are very pleasant to work with; they are strongly client-oriented, always approachable and always extremely professional in their demeanor, even in crisis situations. In addition, the human and collegial component is so convincing that you feel extremely comfortable working together.’
- Advising 50Hertz on the planned new, more than 500 km long DC high-voltage line between Saxony-Anhalt and southern Bavaria.
- Participation in the current disputes about the consumption and emission behavior of cars/vans, trucks/buses (including Europe and Asia): Comprehensive advice to Daimler on regulatory issues, both with a view to historical risks and with a view to the implementation of the gradually in new regulations coming into force.
- Advising the Japanese fine chemicals company DIC Corp. and the US subsidiary Sun Chemical Corp. on the planned acquisition of BASF’s global pigments business – BASF Colors & Effects (BCE).
avocado rechtsanwälte's team stands out for its 'competence and goal-oriented advice' as well as for its particular strength in waste and disposal law which includes assistance with sanctions-related waste law and the representation of waste disposal and waste producing companies in criminal and fine proceedings; issues pertaining to cross-border waste shipments and the implementation of the new packaging law also continue to be at the heart of the practice. Markus Figgen jointly leads the team with waste law expert Ralf Kaminski and Thomas Gerhold, who advises on matters concerning the REACH regulation and ecological contaminated sites, among other issues. Matthias Schleifenbaum left the firm in August 2021 and founded Leitfeld, while Matthias Peine joined from DOMBERT Rechtsanwälte in April 2021.
‘The accessibility feels excellent.’
‘Markus Figgen: Excellent analytical judgement, very confident communication, outstanding industry knowledge not only of a theoretical but also of a practical nature.’
‘High level of expertise, quick response time, very professional.’
‘Competence and goal orientation of the consultation.’
AWB Köln GmbH
Asphalt Ladenburg GmbH
BDE Bundesverband der Deutschen Entsorgungs-wirtschaft e.V.
Engel Umwelttechnik GmbH
Flughafen in NRW
GMVA Gemeinschafts-Müll-Verbrennungsanlage Niederrhein GmbH
KMR-Marine Surveyors GmbH / Custos Consult
MAV – Mineralstoff – Aufbereitung und – Verwertung GmbH
PRS premium Recycling GmbH
Schönmackers Umweltdienste GmbH & Co. KG
Stadt Neustadt an der Weinstraße
Stiftung Elektro-Altgeräte Register
- Advising an airport in North Rhine-Westphalia in connection with the disposal of waste containing PFT.
- Support of the city of Neustadt an der Weinstrasse in a comprehensive mandate with a variety of civil, administrative and sanction law disputes in the meantime, which include complex questions of waste and plant approval law.
- Advising and representing a mineral oil company in borderline waste and product law issues. Mandate is consulting and work-intensive and of considerable importance for the company.
Corporate regulatory advice is at the heart of Baker McKenzie's practice, ranging from chemical law issues over recalls to autonomous vehicle regulation. The team demonstrates particular strengths in product-related environmental law, where its expertise and activity in supply chain regulations particularly stands out. The group also regularly assists clients with environmental and planning law aspects of real estate transactions and financing, while its cooperation with the firm's international offices in cross-border matters is also remarkable. Marc Gabriel heads the public commercial law practice from Berlin, while the Frankfurt-based Ulrich Ellinghaus has expertise in product-related environmental issues.
EP Power Europe
Chr. Hansen Holding a/s
- Regular regulatory advice to several market-leading manufacturers of heating and pump technology, in particular on questions of technical regulation, product safety, renewable energies, energy efficiency and product-related environmental law.
- Regular advice to several leading manufacturers of electronic products on all questions of product-related environmental law (including technical regulation, waste law and energy efficiency); Representation towards German authorities.
- Regular advice to a global tool manufacturer on issues of product-related environmental law (including REACH, chemicals law, technical regulation and product safety).
BBG und Partner
With a focus on complex infrastructure projects, BBG und Partner's practice is praised by clients due to its 'development of bespoke solutions'. The team is particularly active in advising on road, power plant, renewable energy and, increasingly, port infrastructure projects, and frequently deals with authorities including state and federal ministries as well as various energy companies; however, the team also represents clients in various types of administrative litigation and before the Federal Constitutional Court. The 'professionally excellent' Peter Schütte and 'efficient project manager' Malte Kohls jointly head the practice from Bremen.
Other key lawyers:
‘We particularly value our team of lawyers at BBG und Partner for seamlessly covering a very broad spectrum of public planning and environmental law. Services requested by us are made available at any time and at short notice, with each individual team member always being able to speak well about the factual and legal situation. The team of lawyers acts as a very well-functioning unit and gives us the certainty of being able to solve demanding legal issues and tasks in the best possible way.’
‘The description of the legal team applies equally to the individuals involved. In everyday contact we value Dr. Kohls as an efficient project manager and excellent specialist lawyer who anticipates legal problems at an early stage and proposes solutions and discusses them with us.’
‘Both of our lawyers are extremely competent and experienced legal advisors who always think ahead to the complex issues of our approval procedures and develop target-oriented solutions and strategies with us as a client in dealing with the approval authorities. The knowledge of the environmental approval practice collected in various federal states is very helpful. We can recommend the law firm without reservation for the legal support of demanding spatially significant procedures.’
‘Mr Prof. Dr. Schütte/Mr. Christoph Meitz: Ability to adapt perfectly to the individual contact persons in the project team with regard to their respective professional background; Distinct client orientation and service mentality, also far beyond normal business hours; Development of tailor-made solutions that are suitable for advancing the project in a target-oriented manner .’
‘Prof. dr Peter Schütte is technically excellent, works extremely solution-oriented and is a very pleasant lawyer when it comes to communication.’
‘BBG has a broad base in the area of planning and approval law, with very experienced lawyers. I like the fact that they not only advise project developers and therefore usually propose pragmatic solutions that are acceptable to all parties.’
‘Prof. dr Peter Schütte has excellent specialist knowledge, is experienced, precise, quick and pragmatic.’
50Hertz Transmission GmbH
Amt für Planfeststellung Verkehr-SH
bremenports GmbH & Co. KG
Deutsches Forschungsinstitut für öffentliche Verwaltung Speyer
EWE Erneuerbare Energien GmbH
EWE NETZ GmbH
EWN Entsorgungswerk für Nuklearanlagen GmbH
Freie Hansestadt Bremen
Freie Hansestadt Bremen – Die Senatorin für Wirtschaft, Arbeit und Europa
Freie Hansestadt Bremen – Die Senatorin für Wissenschaft und Häfen
Hamburg Port Authority AöR
Hessisches Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Energie, Verkehr und Wohnen
HTC Hanseatic Transport Cosultancy Dr. Ninnenmann & Dr. Rössler GbR
Landesanstalt für Altlastenfreistellung des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt
MDSE Mitteldeutsche Sanierungs- und Entsorgungsgesellschaft mbH
NLWKN Niedersächsischer Landesbetrieb für Wasserwirtschaft, Küsten- und Naturschutz
Q-Energy Deutschland GmbH
Staatliches Amt für Landwirtschaft und Umwelt
Tourismus GmbH Gemeinde Dornum
- Advising the project developer 50Hertz Transmission GmbH on the planning approval process for an onshore high-voltage connection line as an underground cable.
- Comprehensive legal advice to the planning approval authority Office for Planning Approval Verkehr-SH for the approval of a large terminal for the handling of liquefied natural gas (LNG) in Brunsbüttel.
- Advice on environmental and planning law to EWE Erneuerbare Energien GmbH on various onshore wind farm projects and in appeal proceedings.
CBH Rechtsanwälte focuses on the assistance with construction projects and provides 'great know-how and very good connections to relevant decision-making groups'. The practice includes advice in the infrastructure sphere, for example on energy and product lines or transport projects as well as on urban development, residential and commercial construction projects. Cologne-based practice head Stefan Rappen specialises in legal project management of infrastructure projects and is considered 'fast, solution-oriented and well connected'.
‘Pragmatic approach, strong community network.’
‘Stefan Rappen: Fast, solution-oriented, well connected.’
‘The individuals are characterized by their competence, clarity, availability, clear structure and friendliness.’
‘Stefan Rappen, with incredible specialist knowledge and a secure approach to dealing with those involved in public law.’
‘The very good network in the authorities and good knowledge of the authorities’ structures. The overarching work, if necessary, within the law firm on more complex issues is also very good.’
‘Dr. Schiffer is our main contact for legal approval issues. At the same time, Mr. Schiffer is the central contact for all other legal matters in our project. Mr. Schiffer familiarizes himself with the technical issues very well, has a quick grasp and is well prepared for negotiations.’
‘Great know-how and very good networking in relevant decision-making groups on site. High reputation.’
‘Christopher Küas: Very reliable, excellent specialist knowledge, practice-oriented, very well networked Stephan Rappen – very pleasant, relaxed approach, very experienced.’
AACHENER GRUNDVERÖGEN Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft; Köln
Amand Gruppe, Ratingen
AREAL Grundstücks- und Bauträgergesellschaft mbH
Aurelis Real Estate GmbH, Duisburg
Bonova Deutschland GmbH, Köln
BPD Immobilienentwicklung GmbH; Köln
CG Elementum AG , Berlin
Consus AG AG, Berlin-Köln-Düsseldorf
Creos Deutschland GmbH, Saarbrücken
Cube Real Estate GmbH, Leverkusen
DEGES Deutsche Einheit Fernstraßenplanungs- und -bau GmbH, Berlin
Deutsche Rheinhaus AG; Köln
Dr. Rüger Holding Beratung GmbH & Co KG; Köln
EAM GmbH & Co KG, Kassel
GARBE Immobilien Projekte GmbH
Gasunie Deutschland GmbH Co KG, Hannover
Interhomes AG, Bremen
Klinikum Oberberg GmbH
Kölner Verkehrsbetriebe AG
Landmarken AG, Aachen
ONTRAS , Gastransport GmbH, Leipzig
Pandion Real Estate GmbH, Köln
RBL RheinBauland AG, Köln
Stadt Bad Laasphe
WINGAS GmbH, Kassel
- Legal advice to Art Invest Real Estate on the project development for a commercial and office building in Cologne.
- Legal advice to Gasunie as part of a planning approval process for the construction of a 30 km long natural gas pipeline to connect the VW site in Wolfburg.
- Advice on planning approval law to the DEGES German Unity Fernstrassenplanungs- und -bau GmbH as part of the Baltic Sea autobahn project; Assistance with traffic infrastructure measures.
Dentons is particularly well versed in product-related environmental law and advises large trading and industrial companies, including representatives of the packaging industry. The team is also strategically involved, particularly in connection with the EU Single-Use Plastics Directive. Ilka Mehdorn leads the team and has in-depth expertise in European regulations such as WEEE, RoHS and REACH/CLP.
Other key lawyers:
BVE, HDE, IK Industrievereinigung Kunststoffverpackungen, IPV Industrieverband Papier- und Folienverpackung e. V., Bundesverband der Systemgastronomie, BVTE, Markenverband
DPG Deutsche Pfandsystem GmbH
Stiftung Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister
TEDi GmbH & Co. KG
- Advising the BVE, HDE, IK Industrievereinigung Kunststoffverpackungen, IPV Industrieverband Papier- und Foil-Packaging e. V., Federal Association of System Gastronomy, BVTE and Markenverband for the development of a concept for the implementation of the single-use plastic guideline by setting up a single-use plastic fund at the Foundation Central Office Packaging Register for various associations.
- Advice on packaging law and strategy for the German one-way deposit system since its inception. Annual adjustment of the system contracts, advice in connection with the implementation of the requirements of the 2nd amendment to the Packaging Act.
- Comprehensive advice to the Foundation Central Office for the Packaging Register, including on all environmental and waste-related matters prior to the foundation and for the further significant expansion of the packaging register through the 2nd amendment to the Packaging Act.
DLA Piper predominantly advises prestigious international companies from the consumer goods, pharmaceutical and automotive sectors as well as representatives of the public sector on product-related issues, including product recalls, product compliance and classifications. Ludger Giesberts, who is an experienced litigator, leads the team from the Cologne office, while Guido Kleve has particular experience in infrastructure law and in crisis management.
Other key lawyers:
‘The mandates were processed by a team with different levels of experience. This was definitely advantageous. In this way, on the one hand, many years of practical experience could be incorporated into the work, but on the other hand, a relatively up-to-date state of research and teaching.’
DeltaPort GmbH & CoKG
Winterhall Dea GmbH
CytoSorbents Europe GmbH
- Advice on product law for Unilever (product safety, product liability) with regard to end-user products and pre-products – manufacturers.
- Advising Wintershall Dea GmbH on possible water contamination from the operation of oil production facilities.
- Advising an Irish packaging manufacturer on the short-term regulatory feasibility of Covid-19 testing options including own laboratories in coordination with the responsible authorities.
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB
Headed by the Berlin-based Christoph Riese, GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB's team has 'rapid understanding of technical matters' and primarily advises energy sector companies and public sector clients. Among other matters, the team assists with the planning of districts and power plants and provides planning law expertise to the federal hydrogen strategy. The practice also acts at federal state level in projects related to the phasing out of coal-fired power generation, represents clients in environmental litigation and can draw on expertise in water law, nature conservation and immission control law, among other issues.
‘The team offers a comprehensive, very good service in the complex area of plant, environmental and nature conservation law. Not only technically well versed, but also very efficient and highly professional in court proceedings up to the BVerwG. The team is very extensively working out different options for the further procedural procedure and gives very good advice on opportunities and risks.’
‘Prof. dr Ramsauer contributes his many years of experience as a judge at the Higher Administrative Court of Hamburg to the consulting work, which has a very positive effect, especially in administrative court proceedings up to the Federal Administrative Court. A very large support for an authority in administrative court disputes. Lawyer Dr. Wendt has profound knowledge of environmental law and offers very good advice at the interface to plant law.’
‘High degree of personal initiative and experience, high level of advisory skills, good regional networking with authorities.’
‘Very good cooperation with Mr. dr Christian. Especially outstanding when communicating with officials.’
‘Competent in licensing and contract law. Early indications of gaps. Very good integration in teams of the AG.’
‘Quick grasp of technical issues.’
Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und Infrastruktur
Energie- und Wasserversorgung Bonn/Rhein-Sieg GmbH
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg, Behörde für Wirtschaft Verkehr und Innovation
Hamburg Port Authority AöR
Land Brandenburg (Landesamt für Bergbau, Geologie und Rohstoffe)
Niedersächsische Landesbehörde für Straßenbau und Verkehr
Freistaat Sachsen ./. Sächsisches Oberbergamt
Carl Eichhorn KG Wellpappenwerke
E.ON Energy Projects GmbH
EWE AG (Ardian)
F&W Fördern und Wohnen AöR, Hamburg
Froneri Icecream Deutschland GmbH
Froneri Schöller Produktion GmbH
Früh Brauerei / Cölner Hofbräu P. Josef Früh KG
Gaskraftwerk Leipheim GmbH & Co. KG
Gasnetz Hamburg GmbH
Koehler Renewable Energy GmbH
Papierfabrik Niederauer Mühle GmbH
SWU Stadtwerke Ulm/Neu-Ulm GmbH
Stadtentwicklungsgesellschaft Wiesbaden mbH
Städtische Werke Energie + Wärme GmbH
SWB Energie- und Wasserversorgung Bonn/Rhein-Sieg GmbH
- Advice to the Federal Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure together with Prognos AG on the selection of locations for research and improvement of hydrogen technologies and the development of the legal framework for the operation of these locations.
- (Specialist) legal planning support for the Hamburg Port Authority AöR on the new Köhlbrand crossing.
- Support of the Free State of Saxony / Saxon Oberbergamt in the implementation of the coal power generation termination law and the contract concluded according to § 44 KVBG between the federal government, the states concerned and, among others, LEAG by concluding new agreements between the Free State and LEAG.
Volker Hoffmann heads Hoffmann Liebs' practice, which is characterised by a 'high level of professional competence', particularly with regards to soil protection and contaminated site issues. The team frequently advises industrial companies from the chemical, pharmaceutical and renewable energy sectors on public law investigation and remediation agreements with municipalities and authorities, but also assists with immission control and product and waste law issues. The group further advises on environmental aspects of corporate and real estate transactions. Hoffmann, who is based in Düsseldorf, has 'extensive experience with complex environmental (damage) and planning cases '.
‘The law firm inquires about the client’s wishes in detail and advises the client on a targeted approach. The lawyers have very good specialist knowledge and can look back on a wealth of experience of their own, but they also know the general status of case law very well. You work intensively in the relevant specialist committees and, in addition to understanding the client’s requirements, you also have extremely good know-how regarding the work of specialist planners and engineers or other specialists. The law firm sees itself as part of a team that wants to lead the client’s task to success.’
‘Mr. Volker Hoffmann treats everyone involved in the project in a very humane way and gives a great deal of security at all times that you are in good hands with him and the law firm. His extensive experience with complex environmental (damage) and planning cases is always helpful. His understanding and empathy, also in the practical requirements of planners and engineers, make his work in project teams very pleasant and enriching. In the end, the success of his legal advice speaks for itself and one wishes to be able to win him over as a permanent advisor for all future mandates.’
‘Excellent interdisciplinary collaboration.’
‘High professional competence, excellent service orientation, creative, goal-oriented problem-solving skills, good communication.’
‘Competent, fast and expertise in various areas.’
Kapellmann und Partner
Kapellmann and Partner's public construction and environmental practice includes, among other matters, the assistance with land use planning, urban development contracts, immission control law and other approval procedures as well as regional planning law. In addition, the team focuses on future-oriented topics related to new mobility and alternative energies (especially wind power) and can hereby draw on its synergies with other practice groups and competence teams such as real estate, renewable energies and infrastructure. Hendrik Schilder in Düsseldorf and Christian Bönker in Berlin jointly head the practice. Johannes Grüner made equity partner in January 2021.
‘The lawyers of the law firm are characterized by a very high level of professional competence. The excellent availability, in urgent matters even after regular business hours, also stands out. The facts presented will be processed immediately.’
‘In particular, the work of Dr. Bernd Wust, LL.M. be highlighted. His competence, reliability and extremely pleasant manner are second to none.’
‘There is a competent specialist lawyer for all our questions. Short distances and quick answers are very much to be commended. Lawyers are able to break down very demanding legal topics to an understandable level. Specialist lawyers offer free information events on newly emerging topics.’
‘Our main contact person is Dr. Bernd Wust. The following should be particularly emphasized here: – excellent specialist knowledge – very committed – quick answers – conscientious processing – very flexible.’
‘When we start a new project, we are guided by Dr. advise Bernd Wust. As a result, he has an overview of all the special features of the project and can take them into account in contracts. This all-round care makes you feel very comfortable with Mr. Wust. He also keeps an eye on the entire law firm and, in the case of special issues, forwards us to a specialist lawyer .’
Oexle Kopp-Assenmacher Lück
Oexle Kopp-Assenmacher Lück started with a focus on climate, transformation and industrial modernisation in January 2022, founded by a team of lawyers from Köhler & Klett, Rechtsanwälte's Cologne office and the Berlin-based team around Stefan Kopp-Assenmacher, previously at KOPP-ASSENMACHER & NUSSER which stopped its operations in December 2021. Renowned environmental lawyers Anno Oexle and Wolfgang Klett also contribute their longstanding expertise. Dominik Lück focuses on environmental public procurement law.
Raue's team is led by Wolfram Hertel and primarily advises the public sector, real estate corporations and various companies on the realisation of larger construction projects, including urban development projects and infrastructure and residential buildings. Here, the team has a particular focus on Berlin and surrounding areas, including its advice on the redesign of Berlin-Tegel Airport. Representing clients in court or in negotiations is another focal point.
‘The office is very easy to reach. The communication is great. Agreements work very well.’
One of the strengths of Taylor Wessing's team is its construction planning advice to retail industry clients, while the practice is also well versed in airport planning, compliance issues and regulatory energy issues. The team is headed by 'very calm, prudent and experienced specialist' Norbert Kämper, who has expertise in infrastructure projects such as airports and inland ports.
‘Comprehensive, always up-to-date technical expertise; always keeping an eye on the essential (procedural) legal aspects for administrative decisions; secure ability to assess and assess the ‘political framework’ in conflict cases; Fine ‘feeling’ for the communication of administrative decisions in public space (also outside of the process).’
‘Mr Prof. Dr. Norbert Kämper: very calm, prudent and experienced professional with clear communication and strategic-forensic persuasiveness; very pleasant to deal with.’
‘The team works in a concentrated, competent and strategically far-sighted manner. In public law, I have not had any experience with other law firms.’
Heinze Akademie GmbH
Omega Hotel GmbH & Co. KG / Omega Projektentwicklungs GmbH
Unitas e. V.
- Representation in court and out of court as well as advising Unitas eV, a facility for the care of residents of forensic institutions on leave, in a fundamental administrative and in particular construction planning law issue.
- Comprehensive advice on compliance law for InFarm on numerous individual regulatory issues as well as on the development and development of a compliance management system.
- Advice on soil protection and contractual law and representation of the Pfleiderer Group/PCF as part of a groundwater remediation measure.
Hans Georg Neumeier in Munich and Stephan Rechten in Berlin jointly head ADVANT Beiten's environmental and planning practice. The group assists with district developments and residential construction projects and advises clients in connection with transactions, projects and real estate marketing; here the group also benefits from its close cross-practice cooperation, for example with the real estate and energy teams. The practice further deals with PFC pollution matters. Katrin Lüdtke has 'comprehensive expertise, especially in the area of neighborhood, construction and administrative law'. Stephen Lampert joined LUTZ | ABEL RECHTSANWALTS PARTG MBB in September 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Avant Beiten, and in particular that of environmental and planning law – public law, have experience in their specialist areas and can use their expertise to solve many issues out of court. If topics do not fall directly into their topic focus, they take care of an appropriate expert answer.’
‘Katrin Lüdtke has extensive expertise, especially in the area of neighborhood, construction and administrative law. We feel that we have received excellent legal advice and support from them, so we have no hesitation in recommending them. The trusting cooperation helps us to focus on our core issues and leave the legal aspects to her.’
Commerz Real AG
Hellenstein SolarWind GmbH
Hirn Projekt GmbH
Moosstraße Immobilien GmbH & Co. KG
Natenco S.S.L. GmbH
Stadtwerke Rastatt GmbH
- Advice on public law and public procurement law to Moosstraße Immobilien GmbH & Co. KG on the development of an urban quarter in Starnberg (Moosaik).
- Comprehensive advice on building planning and building regulations for a municipal housing association, including legal representation in housing projects.
- Comprehensive advice to Hellenstein SolarWind GmbH, a subsidiary of Stadtwerke Heidenheim AG – group of companies, on the acquisition of several wind turbines in Brandenburg; in particular with a focus on environmental, permitting and planning law issues.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP frequently acts for international clients and is particularly active in the energy sector, among others. The team advises on environmental and planning law aspects of M&A and private equity transactions, while regulatory issues and assistance with emissions trading represent another mainstay of the practice. After the departure of Olaf Otting in November 2020 to Otting Zinger Rechtsanwälte, the Frankfurt-based Udo Herbert Olgemöller, who made partner in May 2021, now leads the practice.
‘They adapt the legal support flexibly to the needs of the company. They can understand client needs and translate them into practical, proactive legal advice.’
‘Great accessibility and nice team: the team’s expertise helped us to identify our needs confidentially.’
Aloys Wobben Stiftung zur Fusion von Enercon und EWE
Windpark Borkum Riffgrund II
Compañía Logística de Hidrocarburos CLH SA (CLH)
Standard Chartered Bank AG
- Advising a banking consortium on licensing and environmental issues in connection with the decommissioning of a power plant.
- Advising a company of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg on the acquisition and conversion of the premises of the Moorburg power plant, in particular on questions of use for hydrogen technologies.
- Advising an international energy supply company on the ordinance and crediting of upstream emission reductions to the greenhouse gas quota (Upstream Emission Reduction Ordinance – UERV).
Bird & Bird LLP's team focuses on advising on product-related environmental law in the automotive, technology and communication as well as energy and utility sectors on one hand, but also assists clients with planning law matters, especially in relation to plants or energy infrastructure construction. Soil protection issues represent another focal point. René Voigtländer in Munich and Matthias Lang in Düsseldorf jointly head the practice and both have expertise in environmental and planning compliance issues as well as the energy sector.
Other key lawyers:
Aluminium Oxid Stade GmbH
- Advising Amprion GmbH on several planning approval procedures for several high-voltage lines. Successful representation in lawsuits and summary legal protection proceedings before the BVerwG.
- Advising Aluminum Oxid Stade GmbH on planning approval procedures and approval procedures under circular economy law.
- Advising an American automotive supplier on administrative proceedings under soil protection law.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner focuses on assisting with environmental and waste law as well as chemicals and substance law. For instance, the team advises clients on cross-border waste shipments, waste fees and the Packaging Act amended in 2021, while the assistance to national and international companies with public building planning issues represents another practice pillar. Cologne-based practice head Olaf Konzak is considered an 'absolute specialist in environmental law and permitting'.
‘Dr. Konzak shows himself to be an absolute specialist in environmental and licensing law, who knows how to counteract the sometimes exaggerated demands of the authorities with commitment and perseverance. But he also knows when he has to step back for tactical reasons. For our part, he is absolutely valued as a representative / consultant of the company and we place great trust in him. Agreements on negotiation strategies work extremely well. ‘
‘Knowledge of packaging law as well as networking and knowledge of decision-makers in the public sector.’
‘Dr. Konzak: Profound knowledge of public law.’
Greenberg Traurig Germany's environmental law team does 'excellent, interdisciplinary and client-oriented work' and advises on contaminated soil and groundwater, compensatory and replacement measures under nature conservation law and international waste shipment law. Project developments and administrative court litigation represent another central part of the practice. Practice head Martin Hamer is an expert in complex approval procedures, environmental liability issues and contract negotiations and stands out for his 'extremely efficient and professionally sound high-quality advice'.
‘The Greenberg Traurig team is excellently positioned in all necessary legal areas and is characterized by its excellent, interdisciplinary and exclusively client-oriented work.’
‘Dr. Martin Hamer has excellent specialist knowledge. He is characterized by his extraordinarily solution-oriented and pragmatic approach. In every respect he is the best lawyer we have advised on public law.’
‘Very good, constructive and factual cooperation on highly complex issues; very clear structuring of the extensive pleadings; the team is always on topic, even if the specific issues were discussed a long time ago and need to be taken up again; it is pursued on several tracks, all paths with a prospect of success are pursued in parallel and persistently; In addition to the legal issues, the technical issues are finally clarified in cooperation with our technicians.’
‘Very well-positioned team, good interaction with other areas, excellent and goal-oriented cooperation (national/international and cross-industry), appropriate team strength for efficient cooperation’
‘ dr Martin Hamer: Outstanding customer orientation, cross-industry national/international orientation and processing of special topics, extremely efficient and technically sound, high-quality processing even with time-critical processes, high motivation and interaction with customers, excellent support and advice as well as team composition for special topics, high flexibility.’
‘The team is very, very competent and experienced, and the reaction speed is very high.’
‘Martin Hamer meets all of our requirements for legal support in this area.’
ARB Investment Partners
Garbe Industrial Real Estate
GE Power Systems GmbH
Vantage Data Centers
- Advice and legal representation of Wertgrund in the norm control proceedings against the Am Nonnenstieg development plan of the city of Göttingen as well as advice on building law in connection with the purchase and development of land for the purpose of residential construction.
- Advising CBRE on environmental and planning law compliance as part of a feasibility study for an artificial intelligence innovation park in Baden-Württemberg.
- Advising GE Power Systems GmbH on liability risks under public law for soil and groundwater contamination on a former company property in the new federal states.
The Frankfurt-based Thomas Nickel heads Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek‘s team, which advises clients primarily on building planning law aspects of residential construction projects as well as office buildings and large area developments. The team continues to represent federal states in proceedings brought by the German Environmental Aid related to its desired diesel-ban in cities, with Wolfram Sandner being the key contact in Stuttgart. Alexander Weiss joined from Clifford Chance in October 2020, while Ullrich Schlichtherle and Sarah Slavik-Schulz both made non-equity partner in January 2021.
- Support for Allianz Real Estate Germany GmbH in what is currently the largest office project in Stuttgart.
- Advising the Artisa-Group on their market entry in Germany.
- Support from the state of Baden-Württemberg for clean air planning for the city of Ludwigburg. Revision to the BVerwG against the first instance judgment of the VGH BaWü. Defense against the demand of the DUH Deutsche Umwelthilfe eV for city-wide diesel driving bans to combat excessive NO2 levels in Ludwigsburg.
Loschelder advises a diverse client portfolio on major environmental damage issues as well as on planning aspects of larger area developments. Furthermore, the team has interdisciplinary competencies in insurance, private construction and competition law. Cedric Meyer is considered 'an outstanding specialist in environmental law issues', who has expertise in water, immission control and construction planning law, while Maike Friedrich impresses with 'very high professional competence and tactical skill'.
‘Excellent team in a field where it is difficult to find good, pragmatic legal advice.’
‘Dr. Cedric Meyer: Specialist and pragmatist. One of the leaders in its field in Germany.’
‘A law firm that approaches its clients very openly. Very customer conscious.’
‘Cedric C. Meyer is an outstanding specialist in environmental law issues.’
‘Interdisciplinary work. The specialist skills of the individual lawyers are intertwined. The reference is made independently in order to legally illuminate all aspects of a situation.’
‘With Mrs. Dr. Friedrich meanwhile connects me to a trusting cooperation of several years. She has a very high level of expertise and tactical skill with the individual stakeholders. It offers unconventional solutions that go beyond legal support. In addition, she avoids accepting other mandates with us as her main client, which could lead to a possible conflict. Therefore, the cooperation is based on absolute trust. She is able to explain the legal aspects to non-lawyers in an understandable way. Their response times are client-friendly and very fast.’
- Advising and representing Gothaer Versicherung AG in various major environmental liability cases (geothermal damage, soil and groundwater damage).
- Advising and representing the Federal Agency for Real Estate Tasks in numerous cases of environmental damage in connection with soil and groundwater contamination at military airports.
Oppenhoff's expertise primarily covers soil protection and immission control law as well as the conventional and renewable energy sectors. Advice on the development and decommissioning of production and energy generation plants represents a particularly important part of its practice, while brownfield development and refurbishment is also increasingly gaining importance. Cologne-based practice head Stephan Müller has extensive experience in compliance structures and Holger Hofmann has experience in advising and representing clients in approval procedures, before administrative courts and in review bodies.
Other key lawyers:
UL International Germany GmbH/ UL Gruppe
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur
Tata Steel Germany
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
- Commissioning of Ford Werke GmbH on site-related issues from environmental and energy law.
- Advising the German Aerospace Center (DLR) on the project to build and operate a large wind turbine in northern Germany for research purposes; Furthermore, support on EEG legal issues such as the conclusion of a participation agreement with affected municipalities, which is a new instrument of the EEG 2021.
- Extensive consulting mandate for a US conglomerate on a complex multilateral restructuring agreement and support for the ongoing restructuring measures in relation to a former production site in the automotive industry, including the financing of the project and coordination with the authorities and the stakeholders involved.
Oppenländer Rechtsanwälte's ' highly competent, fast, reliable and solution-oriented' team acts for both companies and the public sector, including state ministries and municipalities both in advisory capacity as well as in contentious matters before administrative courts and most recently also before the European Court of Justice. The practice's expertise includes planning and environmental advice on the implementation of settlement and expansion projects among other matters. Christofer Lenz is considered 'experienced, resilient and highly competent' and jointly heads the practice with Torsten Gerhard in Stuttgart.
‘Very customer and goal-oriented. Good internal networking.’
‘ Highly competent, fast, reliable, solution-oriented.’
‘ High professional level of the working attorneys, from partner to associate. Clear authority and responsibility within the law firm. No unnecessary ‘multiple employment’ of lawyers or ‘teams’.’
‘Prof. dr Christofer Lenz: experienced, resilient, highly competent and also important: with a very large network in business, administration and politics.’
‘Availability, Creativity, Courage, Negotiation Skills & Experience.’
Bundesverband der Kontrollstellen (Verband für die Bio- und Ökozertifizierung im Lebensmittelbereich)
E. Breuninger GmbH & Co. KG
Kies + Sand Maselheim (Gemeinschaftsunternehmen von zwei großen Kiesabbauern)
Land Baden-Württemberg – Staatsministerium
Röhm Gruppe Wendlingen
Sport Sohn Handel
Energieversorger (Ehninger Energie GmbH)
Ministerium für Umwelt Baden-Württemberg
- Representation of the state of Baden-Württemberg (Ministry of Transport and Stuttgart Regional Council) in connection with the clean air plans for Stuttgart (keyword: diesel driving bans), both enforcement counterclaims against the German Environmental Aid and defense against enforcement applications by the German Environmental Aid in connection with the NOX values.
- Successful representation of E. Breuninger GmbH & Co. KG before the administrative courts in the enforcement of the expansion of Breuningerland in Ludwigsburg; successful conclusion of proceedings before the VGH.
- Representing the state of Baden-Württemberg (state ministry) in landmark proceedings on environmental information law before the ECJ.
Environmental and energy law boutique PAULY Rechtsanwälte acts exclusively for companies and has expertise in waste and packaging law, including waste classification, cross-border waste shipments and legislative changes related to packaging and single-use plastic. Notably, the group also represents numerous of Germany's dual systems in packaging law-related test cases. Approval management represents another practice pillar; here, the team represents clients, for example, in immission control plant approval procedures. Markus Pauly leads the team from Cologne and draws on 30 years of experience in environmental law.
Other key lawyers:
ALBA Group/ALBA Metall Nord GmbH
bvse – Bundesverband Sekundarrohstoffe u. Entsorgung
Interseroh Dienstleistungs GmbH
IP Verpackungen GmbH
Ruhr Oel/BP Europe SE
silver plastics GmbH & Co. KG
Suez Deutschland GmbH, Suez-Gruppe in Deutschland
Pohlmann & Company
Pohlmann & Company advises clients on environmental and real estate-related crisis management as well as on comprehensive compliance issues, with the team having particular expertise in climate protection and emissions trading law in the aviation sector. Horst Schlemminger, who is well versed in environmental claim management, environmental management systems, compliance and restructuring contracts, jointly heads the practice with public law expert Uwe Erling, who joined from Noerr in January 2020.
‘Uwe Erling is outstanding – technically excellent and very responsive, he also has great commercial understanding.’
Celanese Production Germany GmbH & Co. KG
Ticona (jetzt Celanese Services Deutschland GmbH)
Wacker Chemie AG
- Comprehensive compliance advice to the Celanese Group in connection with water pollution and soil pollution in the InfraServ industrial park in Gendorf and the surrounding area.
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft)
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft)'s client portfolio includes supply and waste management industry players, municipalities, federal offices and state ministries as well as companies from the processing industry, which are advised on environmental, waste, water and fee law issues. The practice also assists with environmental aspects of corporate transactions and internal restructuring. The group does not only act for local, regional and nationwide players, but also in cross-border matters. Frankfurt-based practice head Michael Bierle is supported by Alexander Rehs, among others.
- Accompanying Degewo AG on the construction project Dessauer Straße 37-39 in Berlin-Lankwitz.