Dispute resolution in Denmark
Bech-Bruun's expertise across litigation, arbitration and mediation allows it to act on the implementation of decision enforcements and provide litigation risk assessment advice. The group is notably active in the construction sector and regularly acts in procurement, insolvency and post-M&A disputes. Practice head Jes Anker Mikkelsen has substantial expertise in litigation and arbitration matters, and is a key contact for maritime, transport and insurance disputes. Other key names include senior associate Mogens Gaarden, who has experience in financial mismanagement and post-financial crisis litigation; and Carsten Pedersen, who specialises in professional and directors liability disputes.
Jes Anker Mikkelsen
Other key lawyers:
Claus Berg; Anne Buhl Bjelke; Henrik Valdorf
‘I found the team at Bech-Bruun to have the combined insurance and arbitration expertise that I was looking for as well as an experienced, commercial and pragmatic approach to disputes and Danish arbitration.’
‘Besides all the qualities which I believe we can take for granted for a law firm of this calibre (i.e. competent, highly specialised lawyers, international focus, etc.), Bech-Bruun is always very responsive and has an in-depth industry knowledge.’
‘Very insightful and intelligent.’
‘Carsten Pedersen had a particularly good commercial sense for the proceedings. He was extremely helpful on the Danish insurance law aspects.’
‘Carsten Pedersen has outstanding analytic skills and can boil even very complex matters down to the key issues and offer guidance above and beyond the legal advice. He is second to none when it comes to business partnering.’
‘We have worked with other firms in this sector but Bech-Bruun would be our first choice.’
MAN Energy Solutions SE
Howden Insurance Brokers AB (part of the Hyperion Insurance Group)
VTG Rail Europe GmbH
BETRI P/F (formerly P/F Tryggingarfelagið Føroyar)
Kai Andersen A/S
- Acting for a former board member of Roskilde Bank in a DKK1bn dispute regarding alleged mismanagement of a bank, which collapsed in the 2008 financial crisis.
- Defending Howden Insurance Brokers in a DKK100m claim relating to the insolvencies of Gable Insurance and its Danish coverholder, Husejernes Forsikring.
- Representing a law firm in a professional indemnity claim.
Bruun & Hjejle has broad experience spanning domestic and cross-border litigation, arbitration proceedings and mediation; notable areas of expertise include white collar litigation, commercial disputes, professional liability issues and competition, tax, state aid and public law claims. Practice head Ole Spiermann focuses on internal investigations, disciplinary cases, criminal proceedings and money laundering cases, while Karsten Kristoffersen has expertise in the oil and gas industry. In a recent high-profile matter, the group represented Danske Bank in a money laundering case involving the Estonian branch. Other matters include environmental claims, product liability matters, real estate disputes and insolvency claims.
Other key lawyers:
Jeppe Skadhauge; Christian Johansen; Nicolaj Kleist; Jakob Lentz
‘I value their ability to handle complex cases that require an effort where no stone is left unturned.’
‘Ole Spiermann’s ability to handle complex cases in Court and his ability to give specific and highly qualified advice on how to determine a strategy for handling disputes makes him stand out.’
Danske Bank A/S
Bios Ambulance Services Danmark A/S in bankruptcy
PFA and ATP and a number of other institutional investors
Hesalight A/S in bankruptcy
Jyske Realkredit A/S
Finans Danmark (The Danish Bankers Association)
Ørsted A/S (formerly DONG Energy A/S)
- Directing investigations for Dankse Bank into the non-resident portfolio of customers in its Estonian branch.
- Acting in disputes arising from the bankruptcy of Bios.
- Representing a consortium of Danish institutional investors in claims for damages following the IPO and subsequent bankruptcy of Danish bunker trading company, OW Bunker.
The department at Gorrissen Federspiel handles arbitration, mediation and litigation at a domestic and international level. Practice head Henriette Gernaa has expertise in construction, accountancy, energy, insurance and post-M&A disputes, and Jacob Skude Rasmussen focuses on shipping, corporate crime, professional negligence and public international law proceedings. Other areas of expertise include construction, professional liability, banking, IT and immigration litigation. Kenneth Hvelplund Pedersen is also a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Christian Alsøe; Lotte Eskesen
‘Henriette Gernaa provides a strong lead in dispute resolution, especially in terms of her ability to analyse the specific commercial needs of the client and tailor her efforts accordingly.’
‘The team is knowledgeable in law as well as business consideration.’
‘They deliver best in class dispute resolution services keeping the focus on client needs and not getting lost in the legal complexities of the case.’
‘The firm has the ability to deal with a variety of complex litigation matters.’
‘It is a capable and professional team with lots of experience in arbitration proceedings. Accessible and available and eager to step into an overall project management role beyond the mere legal obligations.’
‘Good strategic skills and high-quality work.’
‘Henriette Gernaa stands out for her ability to communicate on all levels of our organisation, thus ensuring that we feel safe in her hands.’
‘Jacob Skude Rasmussen is a very able litigator. He gives clear and considered advice and is client-focused.’
Deloitte Statsautoriseret Revisionspartnerselskab
PricewaterhouseCoopers Statsautoriseret Revisionspartnerselskab
Finansiel Stabilitet A/S
Kindred Group plc (Unibet)
Georg Jensen A/S & Investcorp
Carnegie Investment Bank and Morgan Stanley
Polar Seafood A/S
Novo Nordisk A/S
BC Hospitality Group A/S (Solstra Capital Partners)
FSN Capital Partners ApS
- Representing Danske Bank in several claims brought by former and current shareholders concerning alleged violations by Danske Bank’s Estonian branch of anti-money laundering rules and the alleged failure to inform the market of such violations in a timely manner.
- Acting for Carnegie Investment Bank and Morgan Stanley & Co. International in high-value cases relating to alleged prospectus liability issues regarding the IPO of shares in the insolvent OW Bunker.
- Acting for Deloitte in proceedings instigated by several of the bankruptcy estates of the former OW Bunker group.
Plesner's expertise in domestic and cross-border litigation and arbitration is most notably utilised when handling disputes in the construction, engineering, insurance, energy, life sciences and IP sectors; the practice also acts in insolvency, professional liability, tax and M&A-related disputes and assists with internal investigations. Practice head Peter Schradieck has particular expertise in banking and finance, infrastructure, supply contract and commercial liability disputes, while Jimmy Skjold Hansen acts in disputes involving foreign investments and product liability claims, and Torben Bondrop focuses on consultants’ liability, D&O liability and reinsurance cases.
Other key lawyers:
Niklas Korsgaard Christensen
‘Honest communication on what are the strengths and weaknesses in a case so that the process is streamlined.’
Sund & Bælt Holding
Ørsted (formerly DONG Energy)
- Representing Nordea Bank in claims brought by the Municipality of Haderslev relating to swap transactions.
- Represented ASEC Cement in a €58m dispute against FLSmidth.
- Acting for Strukton Rail Denmark arbitration proceedings against Banedanmark arising from a terminated rail work contract.
Poul Schmith is a key name in the market for public law disputes including competition, administrative, constitutional and environmental law elements. The practice also acts in insolvency disputes, EU law proceedings, public procurement litigation and infrastructure disputes. Practice head Sune Riisgard regularly acts for government institutions in tax disputes and public liability cases, and Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen focuses on defending liability and coverage claims in the insurance and public sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Sune Fugleholm; Karsten Hagel- Sørensen; Kasper Mortensen
AXA XL – XL Catlin Services SE
Miljø- og fødevareministeriet
Transport- og Bygningsministeriet
Konkurrence- og Forbrugerstyrelsen
Ankenævnet for Patienterstatningen
Ankenævnet for Patenter og Varemærker
- Represented 24 international insurance companies in an Eastern High Court appeal case against Noreco relating to coverage according to an all risk marine insurance policy and the compensation for damages to the Siri platform in the North Sea.
- Represents Skatteministeriet in a compensation case relating to a failed debt collection IT system.
- Represents the region Hovedstaden in arbitration proceedings concerning the construction of a new north wing at Danish national hospital, Rigshospitalet.
DLA Piper Denmark's department is particularly active in the corporate, construction, banking, insurance and pensions sectors, where it acts in litigation and arbitration proceedings; the team also handles corporate and regulatory investigations. Clients include domestic and international companies, public entities, public authorities and institutions. Practice head Anders Julius Tengvad is an expert in liability cases, Georg Lett focuses on insurance and finance industry clients, and René Offersen handles contractual breach, management liability, auditor’s liability and prospectus liability claims.
Anders Julius Tengvad
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very skilled within financial law and insurance law – both in general counselling and in litigation. The team has strong partners with long time experience within litigation and dispute resolution and they contribute great value.’
‘The Danish DLA Piper office in Copenhagen has an experienced team in dispute resolution led by Georg Lett.’
‘High professional levels, deep insight and understanding of insurance and related matters.’
‘Very comprehensive knowledge in their field of work and how they are divided business-wise. Due to their volume as a company they cover many areas and always have a department they can refer to. Since they are part of global group they can refer to other entities, which is of great value.’
‘Extremely professional, responsive and to the point. Full service.’
‘Georg Lett and his team can handle large and complex disputes concerning liability and insurance claims in an excellent manner.’
‘The individuals are available, professional and timely. They are up-to-date on processes.’
‘They have the ability to understand the nature of our questions, and make contact to relevant departments that can help promote the answer.’
Garantifonden for skadesforsikringsselskaber
Verner Overgaards Familiefond
- Successfully defended Ernst & Young in a case pending before the Eastern Division of the Danish High Court concerning its potential liability in the Roskilde Bank’s collapse.
- Acted for Verner Overgaards Familiefond in a case relating to the misuse of the foundation’s assets.
- Acting for a consortium of 21 pension funds and institutional investors in a claim against the board of directors and the bankruptcy estate of OW Bunker.
The dispute resolution practice at Horten represents clients in arbitration and litigation proceedings and has notable expertise handling product liability, M&A, energy, finance, contractual and insurance disputes. The practice also advises on professional liability cases involving lawyers, auditors, architects, engineers and executive officers. Team leader Birgitte Frølund is a key contact at the firm for insolvency, banking and finance disputes.
‘The team was very prompt and diligent in assessing the strong and weak aspects of the dispute that we handled together. Even though initially the chances did not seem particularly strong, Horten managed to lead the matter to a settlement that was acceptable and avoided lengthy and expensive litigation.’
ING Bank N.V.
Zurich Insurance plc
The Appeals Board of the Patient Compensation Association
Deere & Co.
Orbital Systems AB
Gable Insurance AG
Jyske Bank A/S
Olympus Danmark A/S
Van der Boom Holding B.V
Tryg Forsikring A/S
The Ørsted Family
- Representing ING Bank in litigation pertaining to the O.W. Bunker bankruptcy estates.
- Acting for can manufacturer Ican in a product liability case concerning a number of cans which had leaks.
- Representing ING Bank in a dispute with the Danish branch of Atradius Crédito y Caución S.A. de Seguros y Reaseguros (Atradius) regarding cover under two credit insurance policies taken out by O.W. Bunker & Trading and Dynamic Oil Trading Holding prior to their bankruptcies.
The department at Kromann Reumert is experienced in corporate criminal law and M&A-related disputes as well as shareholder lawsuits, financial disputes and management liability cases. The practice also advises on class actions, mediation and arbitration proceedings. Group head Frank Bøggild specialises in commercial law disputes including contract, sales and company law issues, and Jens Rostock-Jensen handles insurance and tort law proceedings, most notably product liability, professional liability and coverage matters.
Other key lawyers:
Claus Juel Hansen
‘Frank Bøggild is the leading trademark and design protection lawyer in Denmark. He covers a broad range of other subjects including complex contract disputes. In addition, he is a renowned litigator with sharp, sound judgment and a rare ability to make complex commercial matters simple and easily understandable to a panel of judges. He is a winner.’
Landbrug & Fødevarer
If Insurance Company
- Acted for Finansiel Stabilitet in a lawsuit against two former directors and one former officer of Capinordic Bank before the Danish Supreme Court.
- Represented Finansiel Stabilitet in a lawsuit against eleven former directors and officers of Amagerbanken.
- Acted for Finansiel Stabilitet in a DKK250m lawsuit against the former directors and officers of Eik Bank Danmark.
Dan Terkildsen and Peter Clemmen Christensen jointly head up the practice at Lundgrens and regularly act for domestic and international clients in disputes including pre- and post-M&A litigation, distribution agreement disputes, professional liability claims, intellectual property cases and tax proceedings. The team's client roster is notably populated by companies in the real estate, insurance, financial services and retail sectors.
Dan Terkildsen; Peter Clemmen Christensen
Other key lawyers:
Michael Amstrup; Jakob Krag Nielsen; Rasmus Vang; Niels Wive Kjærgaard; Jesper Hjetting
‘Dan Terkildsen is a skilled litigator and has handled many cases – leaving him experienced and with a no-nonsense attitude. I am comfortable letting Dan Terkildsen take care of our litigation.’
New Nordic Advisors Ltd
Oracle International Corporation
Steen & Strøm
Oxigen Environmental Ltd
- Representing Carsten Keld Leveau in a court case against the failed Roskilde Bank.
- Acting for New Nordic Advisors in a post-M&A arbitration regarding its acquisition of Qudos Insurance from Canadian company Echerlon Financial Holdings.
- Acting for a former member of the board of directors of Amagerbanken in a case concerning a director’s and an officer’s alleged liability in connection with the collapse of the bank.
Lundsgaard & Partnere's group acts in litigation and arbitration proceedings for insurance, commercial, construction and financial sector clients; the practice also regularly advises on preliminary investigations. With further expertise in professional liability and indemnity cases, the team also handles claims relating to board member, accountant, lawyer and CEO liability issues. Practice head Søren Lundsgaard is also experienced in tort law cases.
Other key lawyers:
Saskia Krüger Larsen; Arianne Svardal-Stelmer
‘They are one of the few Danish firms prepared to litigate against the Danish government. They are very responsive and knowledgeable.’
‘Boutique litigation firm with a strong focus on professional liability and D&O liability.’
‘Søren Lundsgaard is both a charismatic and clever litigator.’
‘Each individual is strong on their own but when combined the effectiveness of the practice kicks in.’
‘From the first time I contacted Lundsgaard & Partners I understood the difference between them and other companies in this sector. They are very clear and solid with you about how and what they think about your case already during the first meeting. They are always there for you, they respond quickly and they always report back if needed. They have a human approach and understanding of how to deal with me. Excellent planning and communication which has relieved the pressure on me and made it possible for me to live normally during this process.’
‘Amazing how fast and clear Søren Lundsgaard reads you as an individual and how he sees your case.’
‘The team is led by Søren Lundsgaard who is an excellent tactical lawyer who really puts himself out to help clients.’
AIG Europe Limited
The Pension Fund for Danish Lawyers and Economists
FSN Capital A/S
- Represented an accountant in an accountants’ liability claim.
- Represented the former chairman of the board in a case regarding board members’ liability relating to the bankruptcy of Amagerbanken.
- Represented FSN Capital in a successful €50m dispute regarding insurance coverage from a W&I insurance company for an M&A transaction.
Viltoft is singled out for its expertise in construction, real estate and public procurement disputes and the practice is particularly experienced in disputes arising from infrastructure, hospital and energy projects. Other areas of expertise include contractual, corporate, shareholder and commercial litigation as well as labour and employment claims. Michael Gjedde-Nielsen and Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen jointly lead the practice and are actice in liability claims.
Michael Gjedde-Nielsen; Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Hauge Andersen; Steen Hellmann
‘Professional and knowledgeable about the industry.’
‘The firm stands out for its availability and quick approach.’
Danish Teacher’s Association
Lundgaard & Tranberg Architects
Nordea Bank Danmark
Danish Nurses’ Organisation
The Union of Communication and Language Professionals
- Acting in disputes relating to the Cityringen stage of the Copenhagen Metro tunnel project.
- Acting in a dispute relating to the use of MgO boards on Danish housing projects from 2007 to 2015.
- Representing the Municipality of Gladsaxe in arbitration proceedings initiated by two contractors Arkil and Wicotec Kirkebjerg, who performed the first phases of the extension of the district heating network in the municipality.
The Kolding-based practice at Andersen Partners regularly handles cross-border arbitration proceedings and also has notable expertise in mediations and structured negotiations to settle disputes. The team also assists with regulatory matters and is active in acting for clients in liability litigation. Jakob Blicher Ravnsbo is the head of the practice and counts banks, trading companies and commercial key contractors as clients, which he advises on risk management and damage control measures.
Jakob Blicher Ravnsbo
Other key lawyers:
Ulrik Christrup; Kenneth Cramer
Brdr. K. Hansen A/S
STB Byg A/S
Dansk Boligbyg A/S
Byens Bilpleje.com A/S
- Represented Brdr. K. Hansen in a €2m financial dispute involving a contractor, a developer and a sub-contractor of building materials.
- Advised Sekkingstad on a compulsory buyout as a consequence of a severe devaluation of the Norwegian krone.
- Acting for the bankrupt Danish ambulance company Bios in a €7m liability claim.
DAHL Law Firm handles domestic and cross-border litigation, arbitration and mediation proceedings and is active at all court levels including the arbitration tribunal, civil courts, the Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice. The team is praised for its expertise in real estate, construction, product liability and insurance litigation and also acts in IP, procurement and tort law disputes. Claes Wildfang heads up the practice and counts architects, engineers and auditors as clients.
Other key lawyers:
Niels Wulff; Peter Henrik Würtz; Hans Erik Steffensen
‘The team quickly assess matters and formulates the best strategy for a dispute.’
Nordisk Svejsekontrol A/S
CJ Anlæg Bolig Erhverv A/S
- Acting in a dispute relating to interpretation of a legal principle as to whether a European Patent Application in accordance with the EPC is to be regarded as a Danish National Patent Application for the purpose of interpretation of Danish Patent Law § 11.
- Acted for CJ Anlæg Bolig Erhverv in a DKK1.8m arbitration case concerning the payment of extra works and disruption.
Advokatkontoret Fabritius Tengnagel & Heine acts in domestic and cross-border litigation with expertise in insolvency related disputes, tax proceedings and claims arising from Cum-Ex trading. The team is also recognised for its commercial and white-collar crime expertise and knowledge of insurance coverage and liability claims. Thomas Bøgelund Norvold heads up the disputes practice and is active in cases involving board members and management-level individuals.
Thomas Bøgelund Norvold
Other key lawyers:
‘The best litigation team in Denmark. Impressive record. Always on top of things, very well prepared. High attention from Partners in the firm and they know every detail of your case. Very fair pricing. I can give them my highest recommendation.’
‘You will always get very high quality advice and at the same time precise and personal counselling – It might be a smaller office but they are highly qualified lawyers.’
‘They know a lot about what is going on. They have so many connections and can therefore guide you well.’
‘I can recommend Thomas Bøgelund Norvold as a very skilled litigator and on top of that he is also very pleasant to work with.’
‘The people are very dedicated and know what they are talking about.’
- Defending a bank chairman against liability claims.
- Acting for a pharmaceuticals company in an energy tax dispute.
The dispute resolution practice at Kennedys handles litigation and arbitration proceedings for financial and product liability insurers, and is particularly active as defence counsel and in acting for insurers in disputes against other insurance companies. Practice head Morten Erritzøe Christensen handles D&O claims and professional indemnity work. The practice also acts in property damage claims and disputes arising from GDPR and regulatory compliance issues, and is experienced in personal injury, product liability and fraud litigation.
Morten Erritzøe Christensen
Handling a wide range of litigation and arbitration, Mazanti-Andersen Korsø Jensen acts in disputes arising from bankruptcies, tort claims, insurance cases and financial regulation disputes. Philip S. Thorsen and Anne Almose Røpke jointly lead the practice and focus on professional liability cases relating to commercial contract breaches and also handle claims against management-level individuals and board members. Noteworthy clients for the department include financial institutions, industrial companies and private individuals.
Philip S. Thorsen; Anne Almose Røpke
Other key lawyers:
AIG Europe Ltd.
- Defending a former director in the high-profile Roskilde Bank litigation.
- Defending two former directors and the former CEO in the Capinordic Bank litigation.
- Defending former directors in the Amagerbank litigation.
Nielsen Nørager is experienced in insurance and tort law disputes as well as claims relating to state aid and public procurement issues at a domestic and cross-border level; the team also acts in post-M&A, tax, EU and public law disputes. Eigil Lego Andersen, Henrik Peytz and Anders Valentiner-Branth jointly lead the practice and regularly assist companies and individuals with litigation related to commercial and corporate law including commercial, professional and product liability cases.
Eigil Lego Andersen; Henrik Peytz; Anders Valentiner-Branth
Other key lawyers:
Michael S. Wiisbye; Jan Presfeldt
‘The team is outstanding. They cover the full spectrum of public law counselling. And the team consists of the best in their field in Denmark. They are good at complementing each other, and use each other and each other’s skills to create the best result for the client.’
‘Nielsen Nørager is highly professional, and very conscious about the importance of specialisation in various legal disciplines. In my view, Nielsen Nørager does not only talk the talk, but they do indeed walk it too, which quite a lot of law firms do not. This ensures that the team holds in-depth knowledge about dispute resolution, which is very much required in order to secure success. They are able to make distinctions between important details and issues of a more general character, and they are precise, and able to present a complex issue in a simple manner. They care to walk the extra mile, which I find very important to clients.’
‘The ones I have worked with are always extremely competent and quick to face the challenges. They are thoroughly acquainted with the substance and find solutions. They are super capable at reading the context that I am in. And then they are extremely comfortable to work with.’
‘Anders Valentiner-Branth is the partner that I know best. Anders is very experienced in public law and dispute resolution, and is pragmatic and precise in his approach. He holds the gift of doubt, which is very valuable when it comes to dispute resolution. This is because being too self-assured can be dangerous, and it is surely better to go one step further to ensure that the counterpart does not have a strong point, than to underestimate him or her.’
Oras Armatur A/S
Bygma Gruppen A/S
Discovery Networks Denmark
The City of Copenhagen
The Municipality of Frederikssund
The Municipality of Rødovre
- Representing former members of the board of insolvent company OW Bunker in a €270m shipping court case in Denmark.
- Acting for Discovery Networks Denmark in a €150m damages case against public broadcaster TV 2 Danmark regarding losses suffered due to the use of unlawful rebates.
- Representing a Danish shipyard in a DKK6m case against a subcontractor regarding damages to a battleship belonging to the Danish Defence.
NJORD Law Firm is notably active in VAT and general tax disputes, regularly acting against the tax authorities before domestic and EU courts. The practice is also experienced in administrative law litigation including defending municipalities and private companies before administrative tribunals evaluating the legality of administrative decisions. Thomas Rhyl and Jeppe Brogaard Clausen jointly head up the practice and act in disputes relating to immigration, pharmaceuticals, competition law, procurement law and copyright infringement issues.
Thomas Rhyl; Jeppe Brogaard Clausen
Other key lawyers:
‘Easy to work with, they know our demands and how we expect them to act on our behalf. They are very skilled.’
‘Team is strong, good, constructive and listens before giving a solution.’
‘The team always gives good and clear instructions and advice.’
The European Commission
Bring Trucking AS
- Representing Intersnack and its subsidiary Estrella Maarud in a case brought by KiMs relating to the shape of a snack crisp.
- Acting for a Turkish couple and several others in litigation against the Danish Immigration Authority.
- Testing the legality under EU law and Danish law of the Danish police’s application and interpretation of the EU rules on driving and rest time for road transportation in a number of test cases for Danish hauliers and hauliers from other EU member states.
Accura Advokatpartnerselskab's contentious expertise spans M&A disputes, financial sector litigation, corporate law claims, professional liability issues, tort law cases and insurance proceedings; the practice also handles restructuring and insolvency disputes and acts for clients in the life sciences, intellectual property and telecoms sectors. Group head Jacob Møller Dirksen also has experience in domestic and cross-border financial litigation and commercial arbitration mandates; he joined from Horten in 2019.
Jacob Møller Dirksen
‘The team is young, ambitious and very capable. They have broad areas of expertise, but are particularly strong within tort and insurance issues.’
‘Accura’s disputes team has a longstanding, excellent track record, particularly within the field of insurance litigation. Advice is straight to the point and absolutely commercial-minded. They are an exceptional pleasure to work with, both on a legal and a personal level. Highly recommendable!’
‘They are extremely dedicated, and they provide cost-effective and high-quality assistance to their clients.’
‘Very approachable, easy to work with, down to earth and operate with a business approach.’
‘Jacob Møller-Dirksen is a gifted dispute lawyer with a true understanding of international arbitration. I am impressed by his work.’
MSIG Insurance Europe AG
Crawford & Company
- Representing several insurance companies including Zurich Insurance in a €15m multi-party construction liability and insurance dispute following the fire at Experimentarium.
- Represented Merck, Sharp & Dohme and MSD Denmark in a biosimilar patent litigation claim against Genentech and Roche.
- Representing an insurance company in claims relating to a US Department of Justice price fixing investigation.
Clemens is regularly active in cases relating to real estate and construction mandates, commercial leasing issues, management and board of directors liability proceedings, and IP claims. The team is also involved in cases arising from the interpretation of contractual arrangements relating to financial compensation entitlement matters. Practice head Søren Hammer Westmark regularly litigates before the Supreme Court of Denmark.
Søren Hammer Westmark
‘The firm handles real estate claims professionally and offers a fair price.’
Dansk Supermarked A/S (now Salling Group A/S)
Danske Bank A/S
Den Jyske Sparekasse
- Represented Salling Group in a dispute regarding a commercial lease.
- Representing Danske Bank in a dispute arising from commercial leasing contracts.
- Defending Nordheat Danmark in a DKK3m court claim before the Western High Court brought by Linka Energy, claiming that Nordheat Danmark had been violating its patent for a certain type of burner.
GALST is a key name in the market for real estate and construction disputes involving lease agreements, property developments and business rents, and is also active in court proceedings relating to insolvency and debt collection matters and intellectual property claims. Group co-heads Kristian Dreyer, Christian Steen Laursen and name partner Hans Christian Galst act in cross-border software infringement proceedings and energy, electricity and gas supply disputes.
Kristian Dreyer; Christian Steen Laursen; Hans Christian Galst
‘In my experience the firm has an in depth knowledge of their various fields of expertise, which enables them to put up excellent work in Dispute Resolution, and when appearing in Court. Furthermore, they have a pragmatic and no-nonsense approach which makes them well-liked among peers and clients alike.’
‘GALST is an office specialised in lease law disputes with strong legal and commercial capabilities.’
‘The Legal Team is very business-oriented, swift to react, bold in finding and carrying through solutions and has a very high level of knowledge and skills in the relevant legal aspects, combined with a high level of experience appearing before all Danish Courts.’
‘Hans Christian Galst is very solution-oriented.’
‘Christian Steen Laursen has an extensive commercial understanding and a high level understanding of structuring complex cases.’
‘Hans Christian Galst is a brilliant legal aid, both inside and outside the courtroom. He always really wants to win your case, and has a strong ability to turn every stone there is to be sure to get the win. His track record is therefore stunning, especially in cases where he or his company led the way. On top of that he is a great company with strong social skills which is important to create a team spirit around a case.’
‘Kristian Dreyer has in-depth knowledge of the various fields of expertise.’
HMN Naturgas I/S
Radius Elnet A/S
Ørsted Salg & Service A/S
Foreningen De Unges Almene Boligselskab
NEWSEC DATEA A/S
Euromaster Danmark A/S
Danish Association of Chartered Estate Agents
Danish Property Federation
LM Ericsson AB
Living Homes A/S and Peter Norvig
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.
V. Meyer A/S
Sjeldani Boligadministration A/S
Danish Association of private co-operative housing (ABF)
- Advising KODA on the enforcement of its copyrights through injunctions.
- Acting for property administration company DEAS in repossession proceedings.
- Acting for E/F Bryggervangen in litigation arising from design errors in bathrooms.
At Lassen Ricard, practice head Peter Lambert regularly assists with label litigation and cases regarding privacy protection. The practice is also experienced in disputes regarding the media’s freedom of expression, consumer fraud claims, construction disputes and court proceedings concerning IP rights. Clients include TV and radio broadcasters and companies in the energy sector.
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Schütze; Jørgen Bek Weiss Hansen
Bladt Industries A/S
- Advising DR, the Danish Broadcasting Corporation, and other Danish media on litigation relating to freedom of expression laws.
- Mediated on behalf of shareholders in a shareholders dispute.
The practice at Lund Elmer Sandager handles commercial disputes with notable expertise in real estate and construction, liability and debt collection cases. The firm is also experienced in class actions with additional knowledge of capital markets and M&A-related claims and disputes relating to indemnity and liability issues brought against board members and senior management. Practice head Morten Schwartz Nielsen is a key contact for financial sector clients.
Morten Schwartz Nielsen
Other key lawyers:
‘I have used Lund Elmer Sandager as external lawyers for our business in Denmark for the past two years. I have found them to be professional in advising businesses based outside Denmark on Denmark legislation and the court system in Denmark. They are extremely professional and provide advice as a client would expect it (understandable and pragmatic). The added complication of language barriers is no problem for Lund Elmer Sandager or their understanding of how English lawyers would like to receive their advice. I thoroughly recommend them having used multiple Danish firms.’
‘Morten Schwartz Nielsen. A knowledgeable litigator that has been heavily involved in high profile litigation for international businesses.’
Radius Elnet A/S
De Lage Landen Finans
Iveco Danmark A/S
Ricoh Danmark A/S
Siemens Financial Services AB
Ørsted Sales & Distribution A/S
DSV Road A/S
OW Bunker investors
- Represented Rabobank in claims involving repayments under a bank guarantee.
- Advised Siemens on a DKK400m liability case.
- Representing OW Bunker investors in a DKK325m class action.
With expertise in cross-border and domestic mediation, arbitration proceedings and court litigation arising from environmental construction disputes, SIRIUS advokater also handles claims in the public utility sector, local administrative decisions and infrastructure planning litigation. The team also has notable capacity to act in employment and labour law claims including executive compensation and benefits disputes. Mediation expert Benjamin Lundström, Søren Stenderup Jensen and arbitration specialist Kurt Helles Bardeleben jointly lead the practice; Bardeleben joined the group in 2019 from DLA Piper Denmark.
Benjamin Lundström; Søren Stenderup Jensen; Kurt Helles Bardeleben
Other key lawyers:
Gitte Løvgren Larsen; Liv Helth Lauersen; Pernille Backhausen; Michael Vindfeldt
‘A very specialised team in construction law, broad competences within dispute resolution, including mediation, and professional attitude.’
‘Sirius advokater are expert lawyers who always take great care in meeting their clients needs – they fully understand our way of doing business. They are highly skilled and experienced in dispute resolution, and have taken numerous cases to court for us. We are fully confident that this is done in the best possible way, and we usually win! A number of the cases have been significant leading cases concerning construction law. Sirius lawyers are highly respected among judges and legal colleagues. The people at Sirius are always kind and accommodating, easy to reach and the price is reasonable.’
‘Deep knowledge of construction law and practices in Denmark, so they inspire confidence in their recommendations. Also, very involved in the case.’
The Danish Mediation Institute
The Danish Institute of Arbitration
The Danish Mediation Lawyers
Copenhagen City Court, Court Mediation
Eastern High Court, Court Mediation
The Maritime and Commercial High Court, Court Mediation
The Danish Arbitration Board
The Danish Court Administration, Court Mediation
Faxe kommune (municipality)
SK Forsyning A/S
Instalaciones Inabensa SA
Sirius Company A/S
Mr. Per Moesgaard
PROSA labour union
Ase (Unemployment insurance and labour union)
Danish Broadcasting Corporation
Entreprenørfirmaet Einar Kornerup A/S
CSK Stålindustri A/S
DJØF labour union
- Represented Hessel Pharma before the Danish Supreme Court in a principal decision hearing regarding the interpretation of the Danish Act on Commercial Agents.
- Represented Telenor before the Danish Supreme Court in a dispute relating to the payment for the use of TDC’s telephone lines.
- Represented SK Spildevand and NK Spildevand in principle cases regarding their liability for damages made by independent contractors.
Skau Reipurth & Partnere has a particular expertise in construction and commercial disputes and also regularly acts in insolvency-related litigation. Peter Skau-Andersen, Jeppe Reipurth and Peter Dianati jointly head up the practice and represent clients in disputes relating to M&A work, shareholder issues and contentious construction matters including disputes arising from works and supply issues in building and engineering procedures.
Peter Skau-Andersen; Jeppe Reipurth; Peter Dianati
Other key lawyers:
Frederik Brocks; Vivi Klink Larsen
‘The firm is very professional, and I feel that they help me in my claims and communications in a good way.’
‘The team is characterised as legally high skilled and very enthusiastic to work with.’
‘They have the capability to understand a business and the possibilities and boundaries our business has in a given case.’
‘Peter Dianati stands out as a desirable partner in construction law disputes.’
‘Jeppe Reipurth is very professional in his work.’
G.V.L Entreprise A/S
Pack Tech A/S
360 North Management ApS
Andersen & Heegaard A/S
A.P. Møller Mærsk A/S
Mærsk Olie & Gas A/S
Kjær Knudsen A/S
Leo’s Legeland AS
BAM Danmark A/S
Kraftanlagen München GmBH
Schneider Electric Danmark A/S
Hardesty & Hanover LLC
Pihl & Son
A/S Julius Nielsen & Søn
Zibra Group & Zibra Family Office
BIC Electric Danmark ApS/BIC Electric Sp. Z.o.o
Anker Hansen & Co. A/S
Semler Gruppen A/S
Deloitte Corporate Finance
- Acting for Hardesty & Hanover LLC on an ongoing basis in disputes relating to the Copenhagen Inner Harbour Bridge project.
- Representing Schneider Electric Danmark in claims arising from the Niels Bohr Bygningen project.
- Representing Biblioteksparken, a subsidiary of Baunsøe Ejendomme, in a dispute with the technical advisors relating to a project in Aarhus and also handling a media case relating to damage caused to houses surrounding the site in Aarhus city centre.