Dispute resolution in Denmark
Led by Carsten Pedersen, who is particularly adept at handling M&A and construction contract disputes, Bech-Bruun focuses on high-end commercial litigation. Especially active in the construction, insurance and financial services sectors, the group also fields experts in arbitration and alternative dispute resolution methods, including mediation and court-based mediation. Jes Anker Mikkelsen specialises in insolvency shipping disputes, senior associate Mogens Gaarden has substantial experience in financial mismanagement and post-financial crisis litigation, while Anne Buhl Bjelke primarily handles disputes in the insurance and reinsurance space. Henrik Valdorf retired from practice in 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Jes Anker Mikkelsen; Mogens Gaarden; Claus Berg; Anne Buhl Bjelke; Håkun Djurhuus
Energinet (owned by the Danish Ministry of Energy)
MAN Energy Solutions SE
Howden Insurance Brokers AB (part of the Hyperion Insurance Group)
VTG Rail Europe GmbH
Arp-Hansen Hotel Group
Landbrug & Fødevarer
BETRI P/F (formerly P/F Tryggingarfelagið Føroyar)
Kai Andersen A/S
- Representing a former board member of Roskilde Bank A/S in a DKK1bn dispute regarding the alleged mismanagement of a bank collapse in 2008 due to the financial crisis.
- Representing Howden Insurance Brokers AB as defence counsel in high-profile litigation in the wake of the insolvencies of Gable Insurance AG and its Danish coverholder, Husejernes Forsikring.
- Represented pension funds in a DKK1.2bn case before the Danish Supreme Court concerning Danish rules on the duty to offer residential properties to the tenants on change of ownership.
Bruun & Hjejle has a notable track record in large-scale, high-stakes disputes in the Danish market, particularly in the financial services and energy sectors. A team fronted by practice head Ole Spiermann represented Danske Bank in a money laundering case involving the bank’s Estonian branch. Karsten Kristoffersen has vast experience in oil and gas work, Olaf Koktvedgaard is a notable competition specialist, and Jakob Lentz focuses on professional liability cases. The department also handles white-collar litigation mandates, tax disputes, and state aid and public law issues.
Other key lawyers:
Karsten Kristoffersen; Christian Johansen; Jakob Lentz; Olaf Koktvedgaard
‘Strong knowledge of financial issues.’
‘Ole Spiermann is an excellent performer.’
Danske Bank A/S
Hesalight A/S in bankruptcy
Ørsted A/S (formerly DONG Energy A/S)
SEB (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken)
Nordea Bank AB
FIH Holding and FIH Erhvervsbank
- Assisting Danske Bank with direct investigations into the non-resident portfolio of customers in the bank’s Estonian branch and accompanying AML issues with a view to securing the bank’s interests against potential claims worldwide.
- Represented the bankruptcy estate of Hesalight A/S in a claim against its former management, board of directors and auditor.
- Acting for a Danish law firm against a claim for damages of roughly DKK1.1bn brought by the Danish Tax Authorities.
At Gorrissen Federspiel, the dispute resolution department acts for a variety of clients in high-profile arbitration, mediation and litigation mandates, both internationally and domestically. The group is spearheaded by Henriette Gernaa, who is a leading arbitration expert and counsel in international cases, namely in the construction, accountancy, energy, agency, reinsurance and post-M&A sectors. Elsewhere, Lotte Eskesen focuses on D&O liability and international trade disputes, while Jacob Skude Rasmussen has extensive experience in shipping, corporate crime and public international law proceedings. Kenneth Hvelplund Pedersen regularly acts for large accountancy and private equity clients.
Other key lawyers:
Lotte Eskesen; Jacob Skude Rasmussen; Kenneth Hvelplund Pedersen
‘Gorrissen Federspiel has great, specialised knowledge about this area and will provide advice based on experience and knowledge. They know how to handle counterparties and their responses.’
‘Highly skilled and professional with a pragmatic approach.’
Danske Bank A/S
Deloitte Statsautoriseret Revisionspartnerselskab
PricewaterhouseCoopers Statsautoriseret Revisionspartnerselskab
Finansiel Stabilitet A/S
Kindred Group plc (Unibet)
Georg Jensen A/S & Investcorp (ultimate owner of Georg Jensen A/S)
Carnegie Investment Bank
Polar Seafood A/S
Novo Nordisk A/S
Solstra Capital Partners
FSN Capital Partners ApS
- Acting for Danske Bank in claims arising from alleged violations by its Estonian branch of AML rules, presently at an approx. value of $1.2bn.
- Successfully represented FSN Capital Partners in arbitration proceedings regarding warranty claims totalling $150m.
- Representing KMD in arbitration proceedings relating to its delivery of a complex IT system as regards public pension benefits totalling $215.5m.
Kromann Reumert’s dispute resolution group attracts praise for its handling of ‘leading management liability cases in the financial sector’, as well as large post-M&A transaction disputes. ‘Brilliant litigator’ and practice head Frank Bøggild also specialises in commercial law disputes, including contract, sales and company law issues. Other key practitioners include the ‘hardworking and talented’ Kolja Staunstrup and Jens Rostock-Jensen; the latter primarily handles insurance and tort law proceedings, including product liability, professional liability and coverage matters. The department is also active in IT, marketing and trade mark disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Claus Juel Hansen; Jens Rostock-Jensen; Kolja Staunstrup; Hans Jakob Folker
‘One of the strongest teams in the country.’
‘The most outstanding fact is how thorough and detailed the work quality delivered by Kromann Reumert is. The eye for detail while having the total scope is very outstanding. Every single detail is discussed and taken into account with the big picture that make sense to me as a customer. The ability to come up with solutions, and then achieve these solutions is a second major key point for the outstanding quality of the teams at Kromann Reumert.’
‘Hans Jakob Folker is a stand-out partner with a client-oriented approach and with a practical knowledge only a few lawyers have.’
‘It is my impression from working with them on the same side as well as counterparties, that they are specialised and have an in-depth knowledge of the major dispute areas in Denmark. Further, they have high professional standards, act loyal and are efficient, to-the-point and well-formulated in court.’
‘Kolja Staunstrup is truly a rising star with his no-nonsense and direct approach. He is strong legally and a good litigator.’
‘The team in Kromann Reumert is very dedicated, available, experienced and professional. Key strengths are negotiation, experience, professionalism and everything about the way the team handle the process.’
‘The practice is involved in the most landmark cases of the time, including the leading management liability cases in the financial sector and the very large post-M&A transaction disputes mentioned in the media.’
Clear Channel Danmark
De Danske Bilimportører
DSB (Danish State Railways)
F & H
Landbrug & Fødevarer
- Acted on behalf of the state-owned public company Finansiel Stabilitet in Supreme Court matters of principle concerning bank management liability.
- Represented Saxo Bank in a landmark case before the Supreme Court granting the bank access to correct prices following the Swiss Franc event in January 2015.
- Acted on behalf of several business clients in a joint Supreme Court action against the Danish Government in a matter of principle concerning losses caused by the implementation of a new, digital system for registering rights in the land register.
Recognised as a market leader in public sector disputes, Poul Schmith also increasingly acts for corporate clients, particularly in the construction and IT sectors. In the public sphere, it has experience across a range of competition, administrative, constitutional, environmental, insolvency, EU, public procurement, and infrastructure disputes with 'unrivalled experience in litigation at the highest courts, notably the Danish Supreme Court'. Sune Riisgaard leads the team, which also includes insurance practice head Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen, IT specialist Paw Fruerlund, construction expert Kasper Mortensen and Sune Fugleholm.
Other key lawyers:
Sune Fugleholm; Paw Fruerlund; Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen; Kasper Mortensen
‘My experience of this team is that they are extremely well coordinated and well resourced. It comprises strong and experienced lawyers. There is consistency in the service delivery and they understand their clients’ needs.’
‘Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen is a fantastic advocate – he is smooth and compelling. He also provides extremely commercial advice and fully understands his clients’ needs. He is extremely user friendly (in my experience for both Scandinavian and UK clients).’
‘They have unrivalled experience in litigation at the highest courts, notably the Danish Supreme Court. This allows them to think very strategically about how to present cases and to be extraordinarily effective in court.’
‘Sune Fugleholm is a very pleasant individual who is exceptionally experienced with litigation. This allows him to quickly assess cases and devise effective strategies. You hire Mr. Fugleholm for the most complex cases.’
‘Very competent employees with great knowledge and understanding of the task. Sune Fugleholm and Kasper Mortensen in particular.’
‘A unique blend of excellent legal perspective with management consulting.’
‘Highly devoted, quick learning and easy access.’
Justitsministeriet (Ministry of Justice)
Politiet (the Danish National Police and all the Danish Police Districts)
Finansministeriet (Ministry of Finance)
Skatteministeriet (Ministry of Tax)
Miljø- og fødevareministeriet (Ministry of Environment and Food)
Ankestyrelsen (Social Appeals Board)
Domstolsstyrelsen (The Danish Court Administration)
Transport- og Bygningsministeriet (Ministry of Transport and Building)
Konkurrence- og Forbrugerstyrelsen (Danish Competition and Consumer Authority)
Ankenævnet for Patienterstatningen (Patients Complaints Board)
Sedgwick Leif Hansen A/S
Banedanmark (Rail Net Denmark)
Garantifonden for Skadesforsikring (the Guarantee Fund for Non-life Insurers)
Region Hovedstaden (The Capital Region of Denmark)
Region Midtjylland (Central Denmark Region)
Arbejdsmarkedets Erhvervssikring (Labour Market Insurance)
Ankenævnet for Patenter og Varemærker (Board of Appeal for Patents and Trade marks)
- Instructed by Aviva in a highly complex cross-border product liability recourse claim regarding a building fire alleged to have been caused by a product sold by a UK-based trading company insured by Aviva to an uninsured Danish company and then resold to a separately insured Danish retailer.
- Representing the Danish Guarantee Fund for Non-Life Insurers in a dispute regarding whether the Danish Guarantee Fund is liable for payments to certain injured Norwegian workers covered by policies issued in Norway by Alpha Insurance.
- Representing Rail Net Denmark in a claim for damages in respect of the damage caused by the collision of a barge with a pillar of a Danish railway bridge.
Singled out for its expertise in international trade agreements and international arbitration, Plesner assists clients with some of Denmark’s most complex domestic and international litigation and arbitration proceedings, appearing frequently before the Danish Supreme Court, the European Court of Justice and international arbitration institutions. The department is led by Peter Schradieck, who handles a mix of commercial liability, supply contract and construction disputes. Other names to note are insurance and tort law specialist Torben Bondrop and Jimmy Skjold Hansen, who handles securities litigation and foreign investment claims.
Other key lawyers:
Jimmy Skjold Hansen; Niklas Korsgaard Christensen; Torben Bondrop
‘Very solid team. Super strong on the legal matters, but at the same time possess a solid understanding of working with the counterparty.’
‘You feel that the whole team is personally there for you and the case(s)!’
‘Dedication. Analytical capabilities. Big picture and details. Extremely strong on the legal side – very strong legal domain knowledge.’
‘Good insight on international trade agreements and international arbitration.’
‘Jimmy Skjold Hansen is an up and coming young talent that is already very experienced as an arbitrator.’
Finansiel Stabilitet (the Danish resolution authority)
Morgan Stanley & Co International Plc. (United Kingdom) and Carnegie Investment Bank, branch of Carnegie Investment Bank AB (Sweden)
Berendsen Textil Service
ASEC CEMENT S.A.E. and Qala Holdings
NPI Nordisk Plade Import and others
C. F. Møller Architects
Fortum Waste Management
- Representing the former CEO of Danske Bank A/S in a case concerning Danske Bank’s Estonian branch and alleged violations of anti-money laundering rules.
- Represented Nordea with respect to multi-million DKK claims made by the Municipality of Haderslev relating to a large number of swap transactions.
- Acting as counsel to Morgan Stanley & Co International Plc. and Carnegie Investment Bank in a set of disputes concerning alleged prospectus liability and damages for share price losses in relation to the former global fuel oil supplier, OW Bunker, that went bankrupt only seven months after being publicly listed in Denmark.
The team at DLA Piper Denmark is particularly active in construction and infrastructure disputes, international arbitration proceedings, administrative law matters, corporate and regulatory investigations, and insurance and reinsurance disputes. Within insurance, Georg Lett and Pernille Sølling are representing Garantifonden for skadesforsikringsselskaber in a highly publicised €13m reinsurance claim against Howden insurance Brokers AB, Gable Insurance AG in bankruptcy and Barbican Speciality Reinsurance Company. Anders Julius Tengvad, who is a liability case specialist and experienced arbitrator, heads up the team. René Offersen departed in early 2020 to set up his own boutique offersen:christoffersen law.
Anders Julius Tengvad
Other key lawyers:
Georg Lett; Pernille Sølling
‘Pernille Sølling is available and presents herself as very competent and skilled within the field of law where most of our business is centred. The team and in particular Pernille has many years of experience with litigation, and Pernille handles litigation professionally and in a respectful manner.’
Garantifonden for skadesforsikringsselskaber (The Guarantee Fund)
- Representing Garantifonden for skadesforsikringsselskaber in a highly publicised €13m claim against Howden insurance Brokers AB, Gable Insurance AG in bankruptcy and Barbican Speciality Reinsurance Company; the claim is pursuant to reinsurance policies written by Barbican in favour of Gable with a Danish insurance agent called Husejernes Forsikringsagentur as cover holder and Howden as an insurance mediator.
- Defending AP Pension in a group of individual cases.
- Successfully litigated a case on behalf of DB Cargo in the Danish Supreme Court; the Court found that the Danish Regulatory Body’s order to DB Cargo to revise its business terms and conditions lacked legal basis.
The dispute resolution team at Horten is particularly active in complex commercial and financial litigation and arbitration proceedings, counting domestic and international insurance companies and banks among its clients. Headed up by the vastly experienced Birgitte Frølund, who is involved in several high-profile long-running cases, the team also acts in M&A, professional indemnity, energy, offshore and construction disputes. Jakob Tingskov has in-depth experience in insolvency disputes and bankruptcy estate claims.
Other key lawyers:
Jakob Tingskov; Christina Steen
ING Bank N.V., Denmark
Circle K (previously Statoil Fuel & Retail), Sweden and Denmark
CNA Hardy, Denmark
Jyske Bank A/S
MAN Truck & Bus AG
The Appeals Board of the Patient Compensation Association (the Danish State)
Henrik Ramlau-Hansen (Danske Bank)
Gable Insurance AG in bankruptcy
- Representing Gable Insurance AG, Lichtenstein in multi-party litigation for the bankruptcy estate, instigated by the Danish Guarantee Fund for Non-life Insurers.
- Representing MAN Truck & Bus AG in multi-party court proceedings in Denmark concerning the follow-up on damage claims; the proceedings are part of a large complex of cases throughout Europe following the European Commission’s decisions regarding cartel pricing in the European truck industry.
- Represented ING Bank in court cases pertaining to the O.W. Bunker bankruptcy estates.
Lundgrens demonstrates ‘indisputable experience and strength within the dispute resolution field’, especially in M&A, shareholder, insolvency, professional liability, tax and construction disputes. Noted for its collaboration with colleagues in other departments, the group is jointly headed up by Dan Terkildsen and Peter Clemmen Christensen, who both act for domestic and international clients, most notably in the real estate, insurance, financial services and retail sectors. Jakob Krag Nielsen departed to Horten in early 2020.
Dan Terkildsen; Peter Clemmen Christensen
Other key lawyers:
Michael Amstrup; Niels Wive Kjærgaard; Jesper Hjetting
‘Lundgrens exhibited a very high level of responsiveness and diligence, highly indicative of their customer-oriented approach, which always made me to feel that I was in safe and highly capable hands. The team possessed indisputable experience and strength within the dispute resolution field and delivered quality work with the utmost efficiency and attention to detail.’
‘Peter Clemmen Christensen’s strength as an experienced arbitrator was evident in his ability to combine his strategic mindset and legal knowledge with a technical and commercial understanding of the case at hand. It was very clear that Peter had abundant experience in dispute resolution, and worked to find innovative and creative out-of-the-box solutions to this complex case.’
New Nordic Advisors Ltd
Steen & Strøm
G4S Security Services
- Representing Frederiksberg Boligfond in a DKK500m case, which revolves around the possible right of 315 tenants of Frederiksberg Boligfond (a housing association) to take over a major property at a very discounted value due to a clause in a deed from 1932.
- Acted as counsel to a former member of the board of directors of Amagerbanken in a case concerning a director’s and an officer’s alleged liability in connection with the high-profile collapse of Amagerbanken.
- Represented the former management and the public accountant of the now-collapsed Eik Bank in a case brought by Finansiel Stabilitet.
‘Super strong litigation boutique’ Lundsgaard & Partnere is instructed on a diverse set of arbitration and litigation matters and is best known for acting in insurance and tort law claims. Acting for a wide variety of insurance, commercial, construction and financial sector clients, the group's other notable strengths include professional liability court proceedings and preliminary investigations as well as post-M&A disputes involving private equity funds. The department is headed up by Søren Lundsgaard, who is singled out as ‘an excellent lawyer with great knowledge of Danish arbitration law’.
Other key lawyers:
Saskia Krüger Larsen; Arianne Svardal-Stelmer
‘The team is a super strong litigation boutique in Copenhagen.’
‘Fully focused on litigation in every form. Hard-working and totally committed to helping the client understand the problems.’
‘The team is dedicated and relentless in pursuing your best interests. They are coordinated and proactive in their advice.’
‘I have worked closely with Søren Lundsgaard for the last two years on a major arbitration project and he was an excellent lawyer with great knowledge of Danish arbitration law as well as being a super advocate – his cross-examination of an expert witness was truly magnificent!’
FSN Capital Partners A/S
AIG Europe Limited
The Pension Fund for Danish Lawyers and Economists
New Nordic Advisors
- Represented FSN Capital in a post-M&A arbitration fraud dispute.
- Represented the former chairman of the board of EIK Bank Denmark in a case concerning management liability in connection with the collapse of the bank.
- Represented former chairman of the board of Amagerbanken in a case regarding the board members’ liability in relation to the bankruptcy of the Danish bank Amagerbanken with a claim originally amounting to more than DKK1bn.
Praised for its ‘very deep understanding of the building industry and contracting law’, Viltoft specialises in construction, real estate and public procurement-related disputes including complex arbitration proceedings. Jointly led by Steen Hellmann and Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen, the team regularly acts for clients in high-profile cases concerning large-scale construction, infrastructure and energy projects. Henrik Hauge Andersen frequently handles procurement mandates, while Michael Gjedde-Nielsen is noted for his track record in construction disputes. Other areas of focus include corporate, shareholder and commercial litigation and employment-related claims.
Steen Hellmann; Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Hauge Andersen; Michael Gjedde-Nielsen; Morten Ruben Brage; Hans Lykke Hansen
‘Viltoft provides second to none legal advice within their area of business. They always deliver on short notice and within the agreed deadline.’
‘Peter Thommesen is an excellent litigator, a competent advisor regarding legal trials and vastly experienced in his field of expertise.’
‘Peter Thommesen always delivers to the point advice and possesses strong legal skills. He is very good at understanding and gets acquainted with complex legal issues, and excels in writing and structuring pleadings. He is very solution-oriented, always well-prepared and diligent.’
‘Viltoft has a very deep understanding of the building industry and contracting law in general. This understanding is on a much higher level than other law firms in the business.’
‘Both Hans Lykke Hansen and Morten Ruben Brage have an excellent understanding of our business and contracting law in general.’
Lundgaard & Tranberg Architects
Danish Nurses’ Organisation
The Union of Communication and Language Professionals
- Acting for Metroselskabet in €1bn claims brought by Copenhagen Metro Team (CMT), the consortium of Italian contractors currently building the Cityringen stage of the Copenhagen Metro, for alleged extra works and delays.
- Represented Arkitema and its PNI insurer If Skadesforsikring in an arbitration against the employer, the Municipality of Faxe, and two contractors (BNS and Brdr Thybo) regarding the Vibeengskolen project, Denmark’s first energy-neutral school.
- Defended Mangor & Nagel Architects in an arbitration against a claim of DKK40m raised by a building owner for the use of MgO boards on a housing project.
While instructed in IP and management liability claims, Clemens' practice is underpinned by its expertise in real estate and construction disputes. Experienced in commercial leasing issues, it also handles construction claims relating to deficiencies, damages and contract breaches. Group head Søren Hammer Westmark has experience representing clients before the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board, the Danish Supreme Court and other local courts.
Søren Hammer Westmark
‘One point of contact / fast communication / no bottlenecks.’
‘Specialised and with good qualifications/competences.’
‘A good solid team of lawyers, always available, and quickly on top of the issues they shall solve for us.’
‘They are very experienced in disputes relating to lease matters. Always easy to reach and communicate with and good at suggesting alternative options.’
Salling Group A/S
Danske Bank A/S
Den Jyske Sparekasse
Nordheat Danmark A/S
- Represented Dansk Supermarked A/S in a lawsuit regarding a rent increase against 25 tenants in Næstved Storcenter.
- Represented Nordheat Danmark A/S in a court action before the Western High Court in which Linka Energy A/S was claiming that Nordheat Danmark A/S had been violating Linka Energy A/S’ patent relating to a certain type of burner.
- Acting for Danske Bank A/S in a number of cases regarding the determination of the rent on Danske Bank leases.
With a strong track record in the construction and insurance sectors, DAHL Law Firm's team is instructed on a range of domestic and cross-border litigation, as well as arbitration and mediation proceedings. It is spearheaded by the experienced Claes Wildfang, who also focuses on IP, insurance, and tort law matters. Other names to note include real estate and construction dispute specialist Niels Wulff and insurance dispute expert Peter Henrik Würtz.
Other key lawyers:
Niels Wulff; Peter Henrik Würtz; Hans Erik Steffensen; Kristian Skovsgaard; Johanne Tofting Schaarup
‘The dispute resolution team at Dahl Law Firm is hardworking and capable of handling complicated and big cases at the highest level.’
‘Hans Erik Steffensen is highly skilled within construction law. He goes that extra mile for his clients.’
‘Johanne Tofting Schaarup is a young rising star within dispute resolution and construction law.’
‘Engagement, experience, professionalism, overview and stability in working with our case. Compared to other firms, this team has better expertise in arbitration cases.’
‘Very hardworking. Spending late evenings and weekends working on our case. Easy to communicate with and good and healthy personal relationship in our team.’
Codan Forsikring A/S
Nordisk Svejsekontrol A/S
CJ Anlæg Bolig Erhverv A/S
TG Verk Sp Færøerne
TG Verk SpIsland
- Representing a Danish insurance company’s client – a Copenhagen-based architecture firm – in a case which concerns whether or not a certain type of panel is applicable for façade panels, and whether or not the panels were considered a new and untested product.
- Representing a client within the construction industry in the Faeroe Islands in an arbitration dispute; the case concerns the largest and most famous building project on the Faroe Islands.
- Acting for the claimant in a case against the Danish Energy Agency concerning the Danish Energy Agency’s administrative handling of received applications regarding financial support pursuant to laws on the promotion of renewable energy and to what extent the Danish Energy Agency have complied in accordance with general administrative law principles.
The dispute resolution team at Advokatkontoret Fabritius Tengnagel & Heine, which is spearheaded by Thomas Bøgelund Norvold, acts for clients in a mixture of international arbitration, commercial litigation and white-collar matters. Key areas of strength for the practice include insolvency mandates, tax proceedings, insurance and liability cases, and claims arising from Cum-Ex trading.
Thomas Bøgelund Norvold
Other key lawyers:
‘Midsize law firm with high experience.’
‘Very much hands-on with full partner attention into all matters.’
‘Efficient and pragmatic lawyers.’
‘They are very good at understanding the client’s business and they really give clients a super service.’
‘You get high-level partner attention, always available, the partner knows your case in detail and can answer your questions right away. Further, they find the problems and the solutions that are operationally optimal – most others just present the problems and not the solutions.’
Former Board Member of The Danish home insurance company (Husejernes Forsikring A/S)
OW-Bunker, estate in Bankruptcy
Kennedys' practice, which is led by ‘great relationship manager’ Morten Erritzøe Christensen, focuses on disputes spanning insurance and reinsurance issues. It is primarily instructed in litigation and arbitration proceedings by financial and product liability insurers and has particular expertise in corporate and commercial insurance disputes, including coverage and defence work, as well as regulatory compliance issues.
Morten Erritzøe Christensen
‘The team is so well put together – each compliment each other’s strengths, so it is a highly diverse team.’
‘Morten is such a great relationship manager.’
Lund Elmer Sandager’s expertise runs the gamut of commercial disputes, ranging from real estate and construction cases to liability and debt collection mandates. Practice head Morten Schwartz Nielsen also has a track record in class actions and finance-related disputes including cases relating to capital market transactions, M&A and financial lease contracts.
Morten Schwartz Nielsen
Other key lawyers:
Kristian Buus-Nielsen; Ulrik Bayer
‘The team has created a long-term relationship of trust with us that is built on their ability to deliver on-time, successful outcomes and being available for critical conversations 24/7.’
‘Ulrik Bayer has, again and again, proved his commitment to being our trusted legal advisor. He is stellar in seeing the situation and needs from our side, and always making himself quickly available when needed. Ulrik Bayer is also self-aware and involves other partners when he finds this to be valuable for the outcome of a case.’
Association of OW Bunker investors
H. C. Hansen investeringsaktieselskab
Iveco Danmark A/S
Radius Elnet A/S
Siemens Financial Services
Ricoh Danmark A/S
Nellemann Leasing A/S
De Lage Landen
Ørsted Sales & Distribution A/S
- Represented Radius Elnet in an injunction case before the High Court regarding the use of smart meters for the measuring of electricity.
- Assisted De Lage Landen with investigations to claim damages from a director and the ultimate owner of a group of companies.
- Representing investors in a class action involving liability issues after the collapse of OW Bunker A/S for DKK325m.
Philip S. Thorsen and Anne Almose Røpke jointly head up Mazanti-Andersen’s practice, which has a strong reputation locally for handling disputes in the financial services sector, including bankruptcy, financial regulation, professional liability and breach of commercial contract cases. The group is particularly active in claims involving management-level individuals and board members.
Anne Almose Røpke; Philip S. Thorsen
Other key lawyers:
AIG Europe Ltd.
- Representing a former director of Roskilde Bank who was sued following its bankruptcy, and has been acquitted in the court of first instance.
- Represented the former directors and the former CEO of Capinordic Bank in a lawsuit brought by Finansiel Stabilite.
- Represented Danske Boligadvokater in a liability suit against the Danish state for losses due to the faulty implementation of digital land registration.
Nielsen Nørager has ‘an exceptionally high level of knowledge’ in public law disputes, particularly in relation to utilities and infrastructure projects. Other notable areas of expertise include tort law, state aid, public procurement, post-M&A and tax disputes. Eigil Lego Andersen, Henrik Peytz and Anders Valentiner-Branth jointly lead the group, which also includes Michael S. Wiisbye , who ‘stands out due to his exceptional insurance knowledge’.
Eigil Lego Andersen; Henrik Peytz; Anders Valentiner-Branth
Other key lawyers:
Michael S. Wiisbye; Jan Presfeldt
‘They are very talented in this area due to their long time expertise and experience. They involve you in the process in the amount you wish, so you are able to learn more about the case if you wish so.’
‘Michael S. Wiisbye is a market leader in insurance disputes. He stands out due to exceptional insurance knowledge.’
‘This firm has a very high standard when it comes to integrity and orderly behaviour and has some very specialised lawyers as well.’
‘Michael Wiisbye is not only one of the most respected profiles within insurance, he is also very meticulous.’
‘The firm has an exceptionally high level of knowledge and very strong individuals who manage dispute resolution in the public sector.’
‘They are very competent, professional, and they also have a high level of empathy relating to me and my organisation.’
The City of Copenhagen
The Municipality of Greve
The Municipality of Brøndby
Klar Forsyning A/S
- Represented The City of Copenhagen in a Supreme Court case regarding current legislation on parking fees.
- Representing the Municipality of Greve, the Municipality of Brøndby and other municipalities and pipeline owners in cases relating to the compensation and protection of rights in regards to the construction of a new railway line.
- Representing the Municipality of Gladsaxe in eight cases in Denmark relating to GDPR concerning whether a public authority is obliged to pay remuneration to a citizen in a situation where files with personal information have disappeared.
NJORD Law Firm’s team is co-led by Thomas Rhyl, who has particular expertise in EU law cases, including matters involving pharmaceuticals, competition and procurement issues. Other names to note include fellow co-head and copyright infringement expert Jeppe Brogaard Clausen and Ulla Fabricius, who is noted for her capabilities in transport and shipping disputes. The practice has additional capabilities in administrative law litigation and tax disputes, which is a key area for Robert Mikelsons .
Thomas Ryhl; Jeppe Brogaard Clausen
Other key lawyers:
Ulla Fabricius; Robert Mikelsons
The European Commission
J. Lauritzen A/S
Bring Trucking (Posten Norge)
Omni Bridgeway (formerly IMF Bentham Group)
Danish Ministry of Justice/Danish Parliament
- Acting for a consortium of over 1700 major global institutional investors in a claim seeking more than €2.3bn in damages from Novo Nordisk A/S for violations of the Market Abuse Regulation.
- Lead counsel for the European pharmaceuticals industry including Novartis Pharma & Ferring Pharmaceuticals in Europe-wide litigation against parallel importers.
- Representing a crown witness and a high-ranking official of the Danish Ministry of Justice in an official inquiry, lead by High Court justice, into the alleged illegal orders issued by a former Minister of Immigrants & Integration in 2016.
Skau Reipurth & Partnere is ‘very specialised within construction law and especially construction law disputes’, particularly litigation and arbitration proceedings arising from works and supply issues in building and engineering procedures. Rasmus Schmidt, Frederik Kromann Jespersen, Peter Skau-Andersen, Jeppe Reipurth and Peter Dianati are the names to note within the group, which also handles commercial contract, professional and product liability, post-M&A and securities disputes.
Rasmus Schmidt; Frederik Kromann Jespersen; Peter Skau-Andersen; Jeppe Reipurth; Peter Dianati
‘They are very specialised within construction law and especially construction law disputes. Due to the size of their construction law practice (the number of lawyers), they have big strength in depth. The level of service and alertness is extremely high combined with strong theoretical knowledge and a pragmatic approach.’
‘Peter Dianati is very competent and theoretically strong within the field of construction law. Hardworking, relentless and dedicated to the task at hand. Always accessible and very no-nonsense.’
‘It is a good up and coming team of very enthusiastic lawyers.’
‘Rasmus Schmidt is a clever, experienced and thorough partner.’
‘The firm’s construction disputes team is one of the best in Denmark. In quality as well as in quantity.’
‘Peter Dianati is exceptionally hard-working and very knowledgeable within construction disputes. I regard him as the best within this field.’
‘They have the right size, big enough to handle everything, and small enough to be directly involved in our business. They give value-for-money advice and especially in terms of disputes, the unique thing is that they tell us directly whether or not to pursue a dispute.’
‘Peter Skau-Andersen has been our trusted advisor for many years. He is straightforward, direct and extremely competent. He can point us to – or obtain assistance from – the various specialists but is always willing to work hard to get the best result. On several occasions, we have won a dispute due to his preparation and commercial/social negotiation and communication skills.’
G.V.L Entreprise A/S
Pack Tech A/S
Andersen & Heegaard A/S
A.P. Møller Mærsk A/S
Mærsk Olie & Gas A/S
Kjær Knudsen A/S
BAM Danmark A/S
Kraftanlagen München GmBH
Schneider Electric Danmark A/S
Hardesty & Hanover LLC
Pihl & Søn
A/S Julius Nielsen & Søn
Zibra Group & Zibra Family Office
Deloitte Corporate Finance
Celsa Steel A/S
La societe Itas Pylônes
- Represented Bo-Vita in mediation and litigation proceedings against a very large general housing administrator in a complex multi-million commercial contract dispute.
- Representing La societe Itas Pylônes in pending court proceedings against one of Denmark’s largest engineering companies.
- Represented G.V.L Entreprise A/S in a construction conciliation case under the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board concerning the construction of Frederikssund Swimcenter, which was successfully resolved.
‘Strategically intelligent’ in litigation and arbitration proceedings, with a particular focus on insurance and bankruptcy-related disputes, Jacob Møller Dirksen leads Accura Advokatpartnerselskab's dispute resolution group. Post-M&A disputes, financial regulation litigation and professional liability claims are other areas of strength. The firm’s corporate and commercial practice head Poul Jagd Mogensen also acts for clients in corporate cases and commercial arbitration matters.
Jacob Møller Dirksen
Other key lawyers:
Poul Jagd Mogensen
‘‘Jakob Moller Dirksen is very hands-on and easy to work with. Deep knowledge of international commercial arbitration and corporate disputes.’
‘Very nice collaboration; responsive; easy to approach. Good with people.’
‘Jacob is an eminent lawyer and very likeable.’
‘They have a small but good team.’
‘Poul Mogensen is a clever, experienced and thorough partner.’
‘Excellent strategic thinking and understanding of the economic interests underlying a dispute, very good negotiation skills.’
‘Level of experience, level of knowledge as well as their accessibility. They are extremely fast responders on any inquiry – 24/7.’
‘Accura seems to have the image and history to attract the best of the best.’
MSIG Insurance Europe AG
Crawford & Company
The Danish Institute of Arbitration
B. Nygaard Sørensen in bankruptcy
- Representing multiple insurance companies in one of Denmark’s largest current multi-party construction liability and insurance disputes following the massive fire at Experimentarium (Copenhagen Scientific Center).
- Advising one of Europe’s largest reinsurance companies on a strained relationship towards its counterparties in a multi-million reinsurance contract (DKK25m) covering several European jurisdictions.
- Representing a global insurance company and an engineering company in a DKK200m dispute relating to a joint venture and a large bridge project in the UK.
Andersen Partners is primarily instructed in cross-border arbitration proceedings and commercial disputes, as well as mediations. The Kolding-based practice has additional expertise in regulatory issues and liability claims, with experience conducting cases before both Danish civil courts and arbitration tribunals. Practice head Jakob Blicher Ravnsbo also advises on risk management and damage control measures.
Jakob Blicher Ravnsbo
Other key lawyers:
Ulrik Christrup; Kenneth Cramer
‘They are always available and we are given high priority. They take all our tasks seriously and perform them extremely satisfactorily. In addition, they are very fair in price.’
‘Our collaboration with Jakob Ravnsbo in particular creates value for our company.’
Dansk Boligbyg A/S
Byens Bilpleje.com A/S
Process Engineering A/S
Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab handles dispute resolution matters relating to technology transactions and outsourcing, public procurement and data protection work, as well as media and entertainment issues. It is also regularly involved in arbitration and mediation proceedings arising from technology disputes. Søren Narv Pedersen leads the department, which also draws expertise from the firm's international network, particularly its offices in the Nordics.
Søren Narv Pedersen
Other key lawyers:
Peer B. Petersen
Åndsvidenskabsforlaget (the Spiritual Science Foundation)
Sony Music Entertainment A/S
BGI Europe A/S
Ascendis Pharma A/S
- Acting for Åndsvidenskabsforlaget in court proceedings filed by the Martinus Foundation, claiming that the defendants have violated copyrights in the work by publishing the original version of the work without permission.
- Representing a Danish leading retail chain, Dagrofa ApS, which is suing a Dutch promotion agency which sold a vast number of goods.
GALST primarily handles real estate and construction disputes, regularly acting for real estate administration companies, property companies and investors. Key areas of strength include disputes concerning lease agreements, property developments, business rents, and insolvency and debt collection issues. Kristian Dreyer, Christian Steen Laursen and Hans Christian Galst also act in IP enforcement claims, as well as theft and debt disputes.
Kristian Dreyer; Christian Steen Laursen; Hans Christian Galst
‘Christian Laursen has been extremely good at grasping our case and “distilling” the many legal points and complex aspects of the case into a very solid – and far more easily understandable – case.’
‘The teams have an in-depth knowledge of our industry and of our customers. Thereby the teams are able quickly and professionally to handle disputes.’
‘A small company with good knowledge and service.’
‘I have worked with HC Galst and Christian Steen Laursen and they give clients value for money.’
‘Very customer-oriented and goal-driven company – always very diligent and professional when it comes to the cases they work.’
‘They are very good at maintaining a friendly and professional relationship. Always very honest and thorough.’
Evida Nord A/S
Radius Elnet A/S (former DONG Energy A/S)
Ørsted Salg & Service A/S (former DONG Energy A/S)
Foreningen De Unges Almene Boligselskab
Euromaster Danmark A/S
Danish Association of Chartered Estate Agents
Danish Property Federation
LM Ericsson AB No
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.
V. Meyer A/S
Sjeldani Boligadministration A/S
Danish Association of private co-operative housing (ABF)
- Representing Ejendomsselskabet Chr. og K. Bang ApS in a High Court Case against Ankenævnene for Huslejenævene (Copenhagen Housing Appels Court) including constitutional issues and the legitimacy of a penalty fee.
- Representing A/B Vigerslevgaard (landlord) in a disputed claim from the Copenhagen Municipality.
- Representing B2B real estate agent Realmæglerne Silkeborg in a dispute against 2E Projektudvikling I A/S in regards to the sale of a plot of land.
KLAR Advokater's team is jointly led by Peter C. Kierkegaard and Lotte Noer, who 'has handled many large and complex lawsuits in the fields of professional liability and insurance'. The group also has considerable arbitration experience, regularly appearing before the Danish Institute of Arbitration and the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board. Jeppe Holt regularly acts for clients in real estate and construction disputes.
Lotte Noer; Peter C. Kierkegaard
Other key lawyers:
‘Lotte Noer is a highly qualified lawyer that delivers a supreme and transparent service for insurance professionals as well as for our insured clients.’
‘The team is highly competent to resolve complex dispute resolution matters within insurance and liability of all kinds. The team’s strengths and key capabilities are to see the issue at hand and point at the solution.’
‘Highly specialised litigators and dedicated commitment. Knowledge of how to win a court case provides a solid foundation for achieving a good outcome.’
‘Lotte Noer has extensive experience in litigation in all courts in Denmark and detailed knowledge of all procedural rules governing such cases.’
‘Lotte Noer is an outstanding professional when it comes to dispute resolution; hard-working, passionate, diligent, persistent in understanding the full picture to be able to provide the best advice and act on it.’
‘Lotte Noer has handled many large and complex lawsuits in the fields of professional liability and insurance. She is a very experienced and skilled lawyer with good judgment. In addition, she is a really good strategist and an incredibly strong communicator.’
‘Lotte Noer is an experienced and strong litigator with a deep knowledge of her field. She communicates clearly and delivers on strategy.’
Stark Danmark A/S
Hansen & Langeland ApS
SEAS-NVE Holding ApS
Bach Gruppen København A/S
ISS Facility Services A/S
Hi3G Denmark ApS
Copa Copenhagen Patents K/S
- Representing 241 institutional investors against Danske Bank in a secondary market claim following Danske Banks AML scandal which was revealed in 2018.
- Defended one of the former directors of EIK Bank in a multi-million lawsuit at the High Court, initiated by Finansiel Stabilitet.
- Acted on behalf of a property manager and their insurer in a professional liability dispute regarding a cooperative housing association.
Lassen Ricard's team, which is headed by Peter Lambert, is particularly active in media and copyright disputes, notably in litigation concerning the media’s right to freedom of expression. Within the department, practitioners are skilled in international arbitration mandates, including ad hoc arbitration and arbitration tribunals. Certified arbitrator Henrik Schütze has additional expertise in construction and IP matters.
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Schütze; Jørgen Bek Weiss Hansen
‘The team was called in amidst an already extensive arbitration with thousands of pages exchanged and was nevertheless able to familiarise itself with it surprisingly quickly.’
‘Henrik Schütze is able to familiarise himself with the most complex (including the most technically demanding) issues in a short time. Thanks to his excellent listening, abstraction, structured approach and clever questions, he is able to grasp the core of the matter quickly and work on it accordingly. He and his team are able to structure it in an excellent way, to act with foresight and to think through every eventuality.’
‘Highly professional and capability to engage in complex technical contractual issues.’
- Representing commercial and public service broadcasters in negotiations and potential upcoming litigation against the collecting societies KODA and Gramex concerning equitable remuneration.
- Acting for a major Danish player in the offshore wind turbine generator business in two ongoing international arbitration cases under German law before an arbitration tribunal established by the German arbitration institute DIS in Cologne.
- Acted in several internal disputes among shareholders of different Danish companies, including acting as ad hoc mediator.
Traditionally active in insolvency proceedings, where it regularly represents creditors and bankrupt estates, Moalem Weitemeyer has seen an increase in other litigation and arbitration work. The team handles general commercial cases, arbitration proceedings concerning M&A, and executive and management liability cases. Managing partner Thomas Weitemeyer heads up the group alongside Frantz Sigersted-Rasmussen, who joined from NÉMETH SIGETTY Advokatpartnerselskab in 2020.
Thomas Weitemeyer; Frantz Sigersted-Rasmussen
STO Danmark A/S
Flatirons Solutions, Inc.
Goodtrade Scandinavia AB
Daurehøj Erhvervsbyg A/S
Garmin Nordic Denmark A/S
Andritz Feed and Bio Fuel A/S
Spektrum Fondsmæglerselskab A/S
RPI – Munio ApS
MW Production ApS
CR Construction Danmark A/S
Global Finance Network Ltd
Pitzner Ejendomme A/S
- Represented one of the board members of Hesalight A/S in connection with a major dispute regarding the bankruptcy of Hesalight A/S and the responsibility of the board members.
- Represented one of the board members of Amagerbanken A/S in a major settlement with Finansiel Stabilitet regarding board members’ liability following the bankruptcy of Amagerbanken A/S.
- Acted for a major global company regarding a dispute related to antitrust agreements, cartel business and breaches of EU and local competition law.
SIRIUS advokater regularly represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings and mediation processes, with particular expertise in matters arising from the real estate and construction, environment, public utility, local administrative and infrastructure sectors. It also has experience in employment and labour law claims, including executive compensation and benefits disputes. Benjamin Lundström and Søren Stenderup Jensen are the key contacts.
Benjamin Lundström; Søren Stenderup Jensen