At Binder Grösswang, the team has recently experienced a high demand for data protection and short-time work assistance in connection with Covid-19. Long-established areas of expertise include employment litigation as well as individual and collective labour law. Mass dismissals and executive contracts and compensation are a core area for Horst Lukanec, who jointly heads the department with Angelika Pallwein-Prettner. The latter further specialises in the set-up, drafting and implementation of working schemes. Manuel Müllner joined from Taylor Wessing enwc Rechtsanwälte GmbH in March 2020, further strengthening the team's knowledge of staff leasing and cross-border employee deployment.
Employment in Austria
Horst Lukanec; Angelika Pallwein-Prettner
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is extremely service-orientated, delivers exceptionally fast and in outstanding quality. Availability is also top.’
‘My contact person is Horst Lukanec who is heading the team. He is very experienced, an excellent lawyer, is able to explain complex issues to the client in an understandable way and is also a skilled negotiator.’
‘Big knowledge in the team, which is well connected in-house. Fast response to urgent or new topics.’
‘Dr. Pallwein-Prettner is outstanding in consultancy and in representation in court, she is the best employment lawyer and always available.’
‘Excellent, harmonious team with good information flow amongst the different lawyers. Timelines are being adhered to, even in the most stressful situations. In depth knowledge on all areas that I have been working with them. Good mix of senior lawyers with lots of experience and more junior people with close contact to university and latest publications.’
‘We have shifted all our employment law issues to Horst Lukanec and his team and have made only the best of experiences with them in all involved issues.’
‘We frequently work with this team in international projects, as they are very responsive and provide excellent, but usable advice. ’
‘Very approachable, friendly folks, that are very responsive and always push the envelope to get things done. ’
Dehner Holding GmbH & Co. KG
YAMAHA Motor Middle Europe B.V.
ORF – Austrian Public Broadcasting Corporation
Media-Markt Saturn Gruppe
IPU – INTERNATIONAL Industrieausrüstung Vertriebs GmbH
Peek & Cloppenburg KG
Österreichische Post AG
BNP Paribas Group Austria
- Advised Arval and its Austrian subsidiary Arval Austria GmbH on the acquisition of 100% of the shares in UniCredit Leasing Fuhrparkmanagement GmbH, the Austrian fleet management company of the UniCredit Group.
- Advised Husky-KTW GesmbH in connection with the closure of the production plant in Austria.
- Represented ORF in various court proceedings and legal matters, for instance against the central works council regarding the salary adjustment 2019/2020 in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement for all 3,500 ORF employees.
Advising on the full range of individual and collective labour law, CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH provides particularly tailored services to consumer product, insurance, automotive, and banking and finance clients. Bernhard Hainz, who regularly negotiates collective agreements and social plans, and restructuring expert Christoph Wolf jointly head the practice. The strong bench further includes Jens Winter and associate Daniela Krömer; the former has a focus on company pensions as well as data protection in employment settings, and the latter has additional skills in European labour law, wages and social dumping.
Bernhard Hainz; Christoph Wolf
Other key lawyers:
Jens Winter; Daniela Krömer
Casinos Austria AG
Telekom Austria AG, A1 Telekom Austria AG, Telekom Austria Personalmanagement GmbH
University of Vienna
Medical University of Vienna
Österreichische Post AG
University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna
Vienna University of Economics and Business
ÖBB Group, including ÖBB Postbus
RSO (Raiffeisen Software), RSC (Raiffeisen Shared Service), Raiffeisen Landesbank Wien, NÖ AG
IMS Nanofabrication GmbH
- Acted for Casinos Austria AG in a high-profile legal dispute concerning the summary dismissal of the CFO/Member of the Management Board, Peter Sidlo.
- Advising Telekom Austria AG on employment and service law matters.
- Advised IKEA Österreich on the development and negotiation of a comprehensive data protection works agreement for all locations in Austria.
Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwalte GmbH & CoKG stands out in the market for its excellence across the full range of labour and employment services with a key focus on litigation and crisis management. In relation to Covid-19, the group has advised extensively on state measures and restructurings. The practice is headed by Ralf Peschek, who specialises in executive agreements, pension plans and manager liability. Matthias Unterrieder has responsibility for multinational projects throughout CEE and SEE regions and senior associate Isabel Firneis is a key name for restructuring.
Other key lawyers:
Matthias Unterrieder; Isabel Firneis
‘The employment team of WT is big and thus, there is always someone available. Since they have many experienced senior lawyers in the team, they can also provide high standard answers on very tricky questions. They are quick in their responses.’
‘Matthias Unterrieder is very smart, quick in his responses and very practice-oriented. I have worked with many lawyers in the past. But he is outstanding. He speaks several languages fluently (including English, French, Croatian, Chinese, Arabic….). In my function as an in-house lawyer, I can confirm that his written and oral pleadings are always excellent.’
Addiko Bank AG
Artesyn Embedded Technologies, Inc.
Beiersdorf Gesellschaft GmbH
AXA XL Austria (XL Catlin Services SE, Zweigniederlassung Österreich)
Bombardier Transportation Austria GmbH
- Advised a steel manufacturer on the intended employment termination of a highly paid elderly employee who gained special protection against termination due to disability.
- Represented various employers in the chemical industry in collective litigation filed by unions concerning the number of days of paid leave to be granted to workers in the chemical industry in a five-shift working time model.
- Advised an international bank on labour law within the framework of the TOM project (“target operating model”) optimising internal processes in the head office.
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG
The employment practice at Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG has recently experienced a high demand for assistance with corporate restructurings including mass dismissals, post-merger integration and negotiations with unions, especially for clients in the retail, construction and financial services. Labour law compliance also constitutes a significant part of the workload. Philipp Maier, who also advises on pension and compensation plans, heads the team. Senior counsel Simone Liebmann-Slatin is often involved in contract negotiations and is praised for her 'excellent service'.
Other key lawyers:
‘International company with local flair and excellent service.’
‘Simone Liebmann-Slatin provides an excellent service.’
‘Great partnership, trustful cooperation, exceptional know-how in labour law.’
‘Dr. Philipp Maier is an absolute expert in labour law questions regarding organizational restructuring.’
Dentsply Sirona / Sirona Dental
- Advising Accenture Austria on flexible working hours, corona-driven legal issues, the risks associated with personnel leasing, employee bonuses, and compliance with working time limits and rest periods.
- Advising McDonald’s Austria on corona-related issues, employee claims arising from collective bargaining agreements, employment terminations, employee protection and employee remuneration claims.
- Advising Unilever on the revision of all employment contracts, the rights of members of the works council, the termination of employment relationships and corona-related employment law issues.
Burgstaller & Preyer Rechtsanwälte GmbH
At Burgstaller & Preyer Rechtsanwälte GmbH, the team handles work ranging from pension schemes, staff secondment and collective bargaining agreements to a multitude of labour litigation. The group has seen a notable uptick in demand for reorganisation and termination advice as well as legal support with pandemic-related issues. Although it primarily acts for employers, Helmut Preyer also advises an increasing number of senior management individuals on issues related to remuneration, contracts and management liability. Gerald Burgstaller is focused on company advice with regard to employee agreements and dismissals.
Helmut Preyer; Gerald Burgstaller
- Representation of an Austrian Bank in various pension procedures before the Labour Court Vienna, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court in Vienna (against 8 present and former employees).
- Representation of a former CEO of a bank in a court case before the Commercial Court in Vienna (alleged cause of damages).
- Advised an International Automobile Manufacturer on drafting and negotiating several works agreements about a social plan.
LexMundi member Cerha Hempel is regularly engaged by a wide array of national and international clients, especially those operating in the retail and financial services sectors, to conduct planned closures and transfers of operations including mass redundancies, social plans and other staff reductions. Julian Feichtinger specialises in labour law litigation as well as restructuring and company pension schemes. Susanne Molitoris is of particular note for her M&A-related employment law work. The group adapted quickly to clients' new demands triggered by the Covid-19 pandemic and aided them in the implementation of short-time work regulations, among other matters.
Other key lawyers:
Susanne Molitoris; Christopher Peitsch
‘Arbitration law expert Julian Feichtinger is extremely competent in this demanding business field, especially in Austria, solution-oriented and perfect support in decision making.’
‘Senior Associate Christopher Peitsch is a great lawyer and I truly enjoy working with him.’
‘The deep knowledge of the matter and the ability to think outside the box to bring things to a positive end.’
‘My experience is that the team has a high degree of availability, and they are very responsive. Further, there is clearly an in-depth knowledge about applicable legislation and case law, but also a very practical and hands-on approach in their advice.’
‘I have primarily been working with Christopher Peitsch, who is very talented and provides hands-on advice.’
‘Excellent, compact team. Focused on all legal topics of particular practical relevance. ’
‘Christopher Peitsch is outstanding in providing precise solutions.’
‘Julian Feichtinger is always a perfect choice in highly sensitive matters.’
All Nippon Airways
Booking.com (Österreich) GmbH
Wolfgang Denzel Auto AG.
Grünenthal Austria GmbH
Primark Mode Ltd & Co KG
SPAR Österreichische Warenhandels-AG
Unibail-Rodamco Austria Management GmbH
- Advised Ritter Sport on the employment-related aspects of the acquisition and establishment of a new site in Austria.
- Advised Wiener Sozialdienste on the implementation of a new time shift/working hours scheme for hundreds of employees.
- Advising Paysafe Card on all labour law issues on an ongoing basis
DORDA Rechtsanwälte GmbH stands out for its ability to link employment with corporate, data protection and public law. As such, the practice often assists clients with company acquisitions and disposals as well as data security in the workplace. Thomas Angermair, who maintains strong relationships with the art world and represents numerous renowned cultural institutions, is a popular choice for the employment aspects of corporate mergers and restructurings. He leads the team, which also includes junior partner Lisa Kulmer, a human resource management specialist with a strong banking background.
Other key lawyers:
‘The whole teams works very professional, especially in a multidirectional situation like an acquisition. Here you need experts in different segments. DORDA has them in every single part.’
‘Highly responsive and reliable team.’
‘DORDA is very responsive. The responses are good quality and always straight to the point.’
‘Lisa Kulmer shows a practical approach, responds fast, her advice is always of good quality.’
Boston Consulting Group Austria
Too Good to Go
- Advised Rohrdorfer Group on the applicability of collective bargaining agreements, which is interlinked with the trade licence held by the company.
- Advised Salesforce on the establishment of the Austrian unit and questions regarding Austrian employment law to avoid uncovering issues.
- Advised Solera Holdings on a global restructuring (negotiation and drafting of a social plan with the works council) and on numerous questions related to the Covid-19 pandemic
GERLACH | Littler
Advice on bonus systems, working time regulations and the effects of Covid-19 are in high demand at GERLACH | Littler. In January 2020, the boutique joined forces with international network Littler Mendelson, P.C., enhancing its offering to international clients. Roland Gerlach leads the practice together with litigator Markus Löscher.
Roland Gerlach; Markus Löscher
‘Small but efficient team led by a seasoned expert.’
‘Roland Gerlach is a highly experienced labour law professional. Klaus Wieser is very thorough, reliable and quick.’
‘The team has a very long-standing expertise exclusively in labour and employment law. It is pragmatic, fast and solution-focused. The team is very responsive, that is key in critical situations. Through the affiliation with LITTLER, the teams can also advise internationally in the same quality. ’
‘Markus Löscher is still a young partner, but already now in charge of the firm’s international business. This is outstanding!’
‘Roland Gerlach is a force in Austrian employment and labor law and also a unique character with clear guidance.’
Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH
card complete Service Bank AG
EVVA Sicherheitstechnologie GmbH
Kansai Helios Coatings GmbH
Sika Österreich GmbH
RohrMax Rohrreinigungs- und Kanalsanierungsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Works Council Bord Personnel of Austrian Airlines
- Advising the corporate division of Mylan on the implementation of the establishment of new corporate division Viatris.
- Advised Imperial Riding School during the Covid-19 crisis in connection with the introduction of short-time work and the employment of foreigners; as well as the introduction of flexible working time models in 2019.
- Advised New Work SE (Xing) on the introduction of short-time work and ongoing advice on the measures taken in response to the Covid-19 crisis
Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH assists with a wide range of employment matters such as mergers and acquisitions or social security matters, to name but a few. Group leader Franz Marhold and his team also represent clients in court and have particular experience of handling cases before the European Court of Justice. Associate Christoph Ludvik and Tanja Lang provide key assistance.
Other key lawyers:
Tanja Lang; Christoph Ludvik
OMV Refining & Marketing GmbH
Leder & Schuh AG
Österreichischer Genossenschaftsverband (Schultze-Delitzsch)
Rudolf Ölz Meisterbäcker GmbH & Co KG
Vector Austria GmbH
- Advising Evotec SE on its entry to the Austrian market and on various legal issues.
- Advising the Vienna Philharmonic on employment law, joint examination of wage-related levies GPLA (social security and wage tax audit), social law issues.
- Advising ams AG on works constitution law in the course of the takeover of OSRAM Licht AG.
Ius Laboris member Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH provides its stellar client list with collective and individual employment law assistance on a day-to-day basis. The department, which is led by Georg Schima and Birgit Vogt-Majarek, is also able to handle sensitive restructurings, employment terminations and data protection issues. Schima is particularly renowned for his remuneration policy and manager liability advice. In July 2020, the team welcomed Philipp Gamauf from Brauneis Klauser Prändl Rechtsanwälte GmbH, to strengthen the firm's offering at the intersection of employment and corporate law.
Georg Schima; Birgit Vogt-Majarek
Other key lawyers:
Canon Austria GmbH
Canon Central Eastern Europe GmbH
Casinos Austria AG
Central Works Council of Austrian National Bank (OeNB Zentralbetriebsrat)
DXC Technology Austria GmbH
EntServ Enterprise Services Austria GmbH
EDUSCHO Austria GmbH
G + E GETEC Holding GmbH and GEM mbH
Dr Wilhelm Hörmanseder
Johnson & Johnson Group Austria (including Janssen-Cilag)
Kleen-Tex Industries GmbH
Lundbeck Austria GmbH
Moet Hennessy Österreich GmbH
ÖBB Business Competence Center GmbH (Austrian Railways)
OFID (The OPEC Fund for International Development)
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles Austria
Salinen Austria AG
SSP The Food Travel Experts
Tata Consultancy Services Deutschland GmbH
Waldviertler Sparkasse Bank AG
Wirecard Central Eastern Europe GmbH
Wirtschaftskammer Wien (Chamber of Commerce Vienna)
- Conducting an internal investigation for Casinoas Austria AG in relation to a political affair concerning the appointment of a new CFO.
- Acting for ÖBB-Group in litigation and out-of-court disputes concerning various sensitive and currently group-wide individual and labour constitution-related law proceedings/legal issues.
- Providing employment law advice to Raiffeisen Bank International AG in connection with a restructuring project; advice in connection with remuneration models; examination of working time regulations.
The employment practice at Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) is able to handle all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law. Stefan Kühteubl heads the team and has strong knowledge of employment issues in the context of M&A transactions. He receives key support from Teresa Waidmann, who counts compensation and benefits plans, pension and global mobility among her areas of expertise.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very competent, quick and reliable.’
‘In addition to their professional expertise, the flexibility of the consulting lawyers and their willingness to focus on the special requirements of university lecturers and researchers in the consulting process should be mentioned. This makes it possible to always come up with good deletion suggestions.’
‘The law firm has experts in various fields of law and can therefore provide comprehensive advice. All contact persons are competent and friendly. The excellent, always fair and open advice on the facts of the case should also be emphasized. ’
Central European University (CEU)
TUW – Technische Universität Wien
AKH – Allgemeines Krankenhaus Wien (Vienna General Hospital)
UNICREDIT Bank Austria AG
- Advising the Central European University on all employment law-related aspects related to the cross-border transition of CEU’s campus from Budapest to Vienna.
- Providing comprehensive ongoing employment law advice, including advice on several employment matters during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic to the Magna Group.
- Providing extensive legal advice to ORF and its group companies on employment law matters.
The employment practice at Taylor Wessing enwc Rechtsanwälte GmbH has a core focus on advisory work. Wolfgang Kapek, who is renowned for his whistleblowing expertise, heads the practice. Together with his team, he is also active in cross-border matters and collective labour law.
Other key lawyers:
Fast, friendly, client-oriented.’
‘The expertise and in particular the bundled expertise is very strong, up-to-date and often ahead of news. As clients, we appreciate this proactiveness which is crucial and helps us to be most efficient.’
Nestlé Österreich GmbH / NESPRESSO ÖSTERREICH GMBH & Co OHG
Vorwerk Austria GmbH & Co KG
DSV Österreich Spedition GmbH / PANALPINA Welttransport Gesellschaft m.b.H.
Landesholding Burgenland GmbH
Europäisches Forum Alpbach
Panasonic Electric Works Austria GmbH
SHISEIDO AUSTRIA GmbH
Nationale Anti-Doping Agentur Austria GmbH
Wiener Medizinische Akademie Kongreß GmbH (WMA)
GroupM OG, MediaCom – die Kommunikationsagentur GmbH
Tyrolit Schleifmittelwerke Swarovski K.G.
Eisbär Beteiligungs GmbH
eismann Tiefkühl-Heimservice GmbH
Leykam Let’s Print Holding AG
Europapier Austria GmbH
Otto Bock Healthcare Products GmbH
- Advised a company in the food and retail industry on the conversion of the remuneration of the whole workforce according to the new scheme of the collective agreement for commercial employees.
- Advice to two companies of a globally active group of companies in the transport/logistics industry regarding the whole, also contractual, integration after a merger of two groups of companies.
- Advice to an energy network operation on the implementation of a compliance process including whistleblowing.
E+H Eisenberger + Herzog provides ongoing HR and employment advice to Austrian companies on the drafting of contracts, crisis management and employment terminations. Practice head Jana Eichmeyer has additional experience of litigation and settlement negotiations in labour and employment law. She also played a crucial role in the development of LexisNexis collaboration project ContractMaster, a HR tool for contract generation.
Other key lawyers:
Engelbrecht und Partner Rechtsanwälte
Engelbrecht und Partner Rechtsanwälte acts for clients in employment dismissals as well as court proceedings and also provides ongoing employment advice. The team also represents executives and board members. Helmut Engelbrecht has additional expertise in social security and income tax law and Maria Schedle is a key name for company agreement and collective agreement law.
Helmut Engelbrecht; Maria Schedle
‘Engelbrecht is a well known boutique firm for labour law with a lot of domain experience. The uniqueness of Helmut and his team is the absolute service orientation and the fact that Helmut has experience working in an organization in HR, so knows how to apply legal content and therefore has an excellence way to consult.’
The law firm is a crucial partner for us in dealing with difficult situations and issues relating to employment law, on which we have been able to rely for many years with utmost confidence and trust. Their advice on legal matters/employment law is comprehensive and precisely tailored to meet the needs of our specific situation and always covers all the legally viable options to solve complex employment law issues in a straightforward and targeted manner.’
‘The law firm, in particular Dr. Engelbrecht and his partner Dr. Schedle, are easy to contact and can be relied on to deal promptly with our concerns. We greatly appreciate the personal and direct communication, which has often enabled us to act quickly to resolve delicate situations regarding employment law.’
‘The law firm Engelbrecht is highly specialized in the field of labour law. The employees have specialized knowledge of all matters which our company requires in the drafting of employment contracts, company agreements and representation before the labour and social court.’
‘The law firm Engelbrecht is more familiar with the collective agreement than other law firms. Therefore, representation by the law firm Engelbrecht is the best choice for us.’
‘Engelbrecht is a specialist in the labour law sector and has given us excellent advice in a very complicated case. Reaction time is very quick and the quality of service very high. Very high success quota. The law firm offers tailor-made service and is virtually permanently available. Depending on the litigation strategy one of the partners takes over the cases and the litigation strategy is also adapted on a case-by-case basis.’
‘Deep knowledge and experience both theoretical and practical within employment law, also concerning dues and action achievable above the ordinary networking also close to legislation.’
‘Dr. Engelbrecht and his team are extremely customer-oriented. The team also works with foresight and not just on the issues.’
‘Very responsive and reliable and compliant to set deadlines.’
‘Dr. Engelbrecht always takes the context and the culture of our organization into account when providing us with legal advice. He takes our organization as it stands and then guides us to where we want to go and where it is possible to go in legal terms. During the challenging process of restructuring our organization he worked with us clearly and confidently to find the best legal way forward, while also being mindful of our organizational culture.’
‘Quick feedback, pragmatic solutions.’
‘Dr Engelbrecht’s profound knowledge of labour law is outstanding and his always friendly, helpful manner is very pleasant to deal with. The experience of Dr. Engelbrecht is outstanding. ‘
‘Mr. Engelbrecht has an excellent knowledge and a lot of experience to provide the best legal advice in our sector. Mr. Engelbrecht is available at almost any time and very knowledgeable. He has a lot of experience, and we can absolutely recommend his law-firm.’
‘Dr. Engelbrecht is always looking for practical solutions within the legal frame and always considering the other side.’
Assisting with market entry in Austria and employment advice on corporate matters are the foundation of the practice at Eversheds Sutherland | Stolitzka & Partner RAe OG. Practice head Silva Palzer often handles general HR work. She receives key support from Tülay Cakir, who is in charge of the pension group and also has experience of collective employment law, work council matters and plant agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Employment team at Eversheds Austria operates in very customer-oriented way, reachable when urgent, always brings the topic to the point with the capability to think out of the box.’
‘Silva Palzer has deep knowledge of the labour law environment and her analyses are clear, easy to understand and with the necessary identification of possible risks. With her expertise, the “last mile” in projects are easy to travel.’
AVIS Autovermietung GmbH
- Advised Johnson Controls Group on the HR implication of a merger, the harmonisation of collective bargaining agreements and represented in court procedures for re-instatement.
- Advised WashTec GmbH on the update of the employment contracts plus addenda for GDPR.
- Advised Knorr Bremse AG on an international “Duty of Care” corona-project on distancing, masks, business travel, hygiene, shifts and leave.
Fellner Wratzfeld & Partners tailors its employment services specifically to the banking sector, where the team often advises on remuneration policies and also acts in disputes. Company pension and civil law expert Kurt Wratzfeld heads the group. Florian Dauser was promoted to contract partner in June 2020.
Other key lawyers:
UniCredit Bank Austria AG
Imperial Tobacco Austria Marketing Service GmbH
- Advising UniCredit Bank Austria AG on transfer-of-business issues in connection with the spin-off of the vehicle fleet management from UniCredit Leasing (subsidiary of UCBA).
- Providing Imperial Tobacco Austria Marketing Service GmbH with continued advice on all matters of employment law.
- Advising Imperial Tobacco Austria Marketing Service GmbH on the responsibility for employee data in conformity with the GDPR.
FREIMÜLLER/OBEREDER/PILZ Rechtsanwält_innen GmbH
In addition to standalone matters, especially in pension law and related litigation, the employment group at Graf & Pitkowitz also assists the firm's restructuring and M&A departments. The practice lead has been with Jakob Widner, an employment contracts specialist, for more than two decades. Axel Guttmann is also of note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Individual and practicable solutions for each problem. Excellent background of the engaged partner to help and assist for the solutions in connection with our employment (law) problems and company restructurings (in connection with our workforce).’
‘Excellent experience with many matters in employment (and connected) law.’
OKI Europe Ltd.
Erdöl Lagergesellschaft mbH (ELG – Austrian Central Oil Stockholding Entity)
Chamber of Commerce
Austrian Samaritan Federation
- Advised OKI Europe Ltd. on the closure and winding-down of Austrian operations, redundancy of staff, negotiation of termination and settlement agreements.
- Advised Backwelt Pilz GmbH on new working time models for staff in production (shift work) and office functions (flexible work).
- Advised Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Österreichs (Austrian Samaritan Federation) on the employment aspects of make-shift field hospital in Vienna in the wake of corona-lockdown relating to secondment/posted workers and occupational health and safety.
Kinner Korenjak LAW
Boutique employment firm Kinner Korenjak LAW was established in early 2020 by Wolfgang Kinner and Ingrid Korenjak who were previously at Birkner Kinner and DSC Doralt Seist Csoklich Rechtsanwälte GmbH, respectively. HR law and projects as well as executive law and employment litigation are staple work. Industry expertise ranges from food and electronics to transport and pharmaceuticals.
Wolfgang Kinner; Ingrid Korenjak
‘Good boutique firm for employment law in Austria.’
‘Wolfgang Kinner is a great attorney who handles client’s needs excellently.’
‘Strong cooperation overall and detailed view.’
‘Strong personal engagement.’
‘The team has a very high professional expertise, always available with good advice at hand.’
Siemens Aktiengesellschaft Österreich
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics GmbH
Siemens Personaldienstleistungen GmbH
Sri Trang Agro-Industry Public Company Limited
Kunz Wallentin Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Work time matters, contracts and reorganisations are the pillars of employment boutique Prchal Anwaltsbüro. It has a strong following among hospitality, trade, pharmaceutical and IT companies. Founding partner Robert Prchal leads the team and also handles employment litigation. Data protection and immigration matters are often handled by Nicola Schober.
Other key lawyers:
‘Robert Prchal advises our company comprehensively on employment law issues and, if necessary, represents us before the labour courts. His advice is very broadly based and ranges from questions regarding working time models and contracts drafting to regulations on cross-border assignments (deployments, personnel leasing) or immigration.’
‘Robert Prchal has in-depth cross-border knowledge of many other jurisdictions, e.g. Switzerland or Germany. If a foreign expertise is required, the cooperation is in the responsibility of Robert Prchal and we rely on his expertise for the foreign law firm to be chosen. Robert is able to understand the role of the client very well, he also knows the requirements of the industry very well, which makes you feel that you are always in good hands, I can recommend the firm without reservation.’
‘The law firm focuses on employment law exclusively and developed impressive expertise in this field. Robert is known for its exceptional legal skills on the Austrian market, so that the mandate came about through a recommendation.’
‘Robert Prchal is an excellent lawyer and has extensive legal knowledge and experience. We feel excellently well advised and supported. He has an exceptional understanding of our business and the needs of our company and employees. He is able to represent the topic in all its aspects in a way that is understandable and also with the tact and sensitivity sometimes required when dealing with sensitive employment law circumstances. We admire his proactive approach while we are always informed about the current status of the work and even more impressed by the sophisticated solutions found. We always have the feeling that Robert has dealt with the question in depth.’
‘Robert Prchal is an outstanding lawyer with a huge knowledge and experience. We are impressed by his integrity and we greatly appreciate that he always brings issues to the point in a way that is easily understandable for us. He is very good in negotiation positions with a very eloquent manner. Impressive is his sure instinct when it comes to solving unpleasant labour law issues. It is stunning how entrepreneurial he thinks, which we like very much and which we have experienced with hardly any lawyer so far.’
‘Robert Prchal, very responsive and an impressive personality.’
‘The special feature of the law firm is that it guarantees the client absolute partner support in the sense of a specialized boutique law firm. This is a real advantage compared to so-called “large law firms”, where you often have several contact persons in parallel and not always a partner participation.’
‘Compared to other law firms I liked the short communication turnaround and the hands-on approach and also that the equity partner is handling the case personally.’
EQOS Energie Österreich GmbH
Parfümerie Douglas Gesellschaft m.b.H.
AstraZeneca Österreich GmbH
Munich Hotel Partners
Cornerstone on Demand
Hotusa Hotels group
Feuring Hotel/Hotel Maxx by Steigenberger
URSA Dämmsysteme Austria GmbH
Oaklins TJP Corporate Finance GmbH
- Representing Douglas Parfümerie GmbH in a trial against three dismissed employees who challenged their dismissal in court.
- Advised WaveOptics on cross-border questions regarding the deployment of employees from the UK to Austria and on questions of engaging employees directly in Austria through the UK legal entity.
- Advised Herrmann Ultraschall GmbH in regard to the premature unjustified resignation of an employee claiming termination entitlements in court.
The employment practice at Schindler Attorneys continues to expand its market presence beyond add-on services to corporate work, providing ongoing labour advice to a growing client roster. Under the leadership of Barbara Klinger, the department advises on social plans, restructurings and the negotiation of collective agreements as well as Covid-19 assistance. Other core areas are litigation, immigration and work time models.
Other key lawyers:
‘Schindler besides strong legal skills had been very good at finding solutions. They make you aware of risk, but also give you recommendations and work-arounds.’
‘The team is able to create a really close connection with the client. Their complete availability, the prompt and immediate response and the professional, modern working methods is better compared to many other law firms.’
‘Barbara Klinger and Martin Lanner are specialists in employment law. Team responds quickly giving precise, well-founded answers and advices, leaving no doubts that provided alternatives and options are well deliberated upon our requests. Great team with profound knowledge quick support, support is always very clear.’
‘Barbara Klinger is very capable and tough, so I would always call her for employment matters ahead of any other lawyer that I used in the past.’
Barbara Klinger provides prompt and personal service. Reaction time is great, profound knowledge. Available any time required.’
ASFINAG Autobahnen-Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs AG
Technisches Museum Wien
Styria Media Group
International Insitute for Applied Systems Analysis
Demner, Merlicek und Bergmann
BTO Forschung GmbH
- Advised Glock on the liability of managing directors and possibilities to shift such liability, including internal workshops on such matters for the management team.
- Advised ASFINAG on negotiations concerning the company collective bargaining agreement for 2,800 employees.
- Advised Esprit on possible restructuring or insolvency proceedings, including advice on short-term work, following the impact of Covid-19.
Zeiler Floyd Zadkovich
Zeiler Floyd Zadkovich's team covers benefits, pensions, service inventions, trade secrets and data protection in an employment context. Founding partner Hans Georg Laimer leads the team and has additional expertise in restructuring, white-collar criminal law and litigation. Andreas Tinhofer was a new arrival in 2020 from MOSATI.
Hans Georg Laimer
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Tinhofer; Lukas Wieser
‘The service the team is delivering is excellent. Even any requests on short notice are sorted with excellent and mature approach.’
‘Excellent capabilities and reliable partners.’
‘Very good knowledge of any legal regulations and very good understanding of business.’
Dr Alexandra Knell
Ongoing advice on individual and collective employment law is the key focus of Barnert Egermann Illigasch Rechtsanwälte GmbH's employment group. The team, which is led by Clemens Egermann, also represents clients in court in collaboration with the firm's dispute resolution department.
‘Very fast reacting – even being abroad, highly pragmatic and solution oriented, deep knowledge, very fair and good value for money.’
‘Dr. Egermann: very fast reacting, gets straight to the point, broad legal knowledge.’
Philips Austria GmbH
EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG
Gesellschaft Österreichische Kinderdörfer
Bauarbeiter Urlaubs- und Abfertigungskasse
Kromberg & Schubert Austria GmbH & Co KG
HSL Logistik Austria GmbH
- Advising Philips Austria GmbH on an ongoing basis on various employment law issues, in particular on individual and works constitution law issues.
- Advising RITTAL GmbH on an ongoing basis on employment law issues, including advice on working time models as well as data protection aspects of employment.
- Advising EnBW on the establishment of an electric charging station joint venture together with Smatrics.
Thomas Boller heads the practice at BLS Rechtsanwälte Boller Langhammer Schubert GmbH, which acts for employers and senior executives. In addition to expertise in the employment aspects of M&A, collective bargaining agreements, works council agreements, employment dismissals and subsequent litigation, the team has niche knowledge of social dumping.
Labour law disputes as well as cross-border transactions and related employee transfers are at the forefront of the employee practice at DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach. The team is well integrated in the wider firm, often working alongside the corporate department. by Stephan Nitzl handles clients' day-to-day employment issues and has recently assisted with employment questions with regard to the global pandemic.
‘Very pragmatic approach.’
‘Stephan Nitzl is a very pragmatic advisor.’
- Advising Huber+Suhner AG on employment law aspects with reference to the acquisition of certain assets pertaining to the special communication business from the Kathrein Group.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
KÖRBER-RISAK Rechtsanwalts GmbH
A boutique firm for employer-side labour advice, KÖRBER-RISAK Rechtsanwalts GmbH is especially adept at representing clients before courts and administrative authorities. The team has also responded to an increasing demand in restructuring and pandemic-related assistance. Katharina Körber-Risak stands out for her knowledge of work time matters and Moritz Lindner is renowned for employment-related data protection advice.
Katharina Körber-Risak; Moritz Lindner
‘They are easy to approach and very flexible. Their availability even if it is on short notice is very good.’
‘The team consists of very experienced lawyers who always have an open ear for their clients and are easy to reach.’
‘The internal coordination between the individual lawyers is given in all cases, and the employment law information received as a client is correspondingly good.’
‘Short and concise information on specific problems guarantees timely answers.’
‘Friendliness, accessibility, young team, well trained, professional and well-founded information, always a smile for the client.
‘Best experience made with Katharina Koerber-Risak and Moritz Lindner.’
Austrian Airlines AG
Kleine Zeitung GmbH
Social Security Agency for Public Servants and Railway Servants (BVAEB)
Styria Media Group
- Advised Austrian Airlines on all employment-related matters regarding the Covid-19 pandemic including furlough, collective agreements, restructuring.
- Representing Daily Newspaper (Kleine Zeitung) in an arbitration process regarding a new working time model for journalists.
- Represented an employer organisation in the metal trade business in the first-ever Supreme Court case on flexitime.
KPMG Law in Austria
In September 2019, KPMG Law in Austria launched its employment law practice under the leadership of Elisabeth Wasinger, previously a senior associate at Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG. The practice covers traditional labour and employment law as well as pandemic-related questions and specialises in global mobility and corporate migration advice.
‘The employment law team is incredibly reliable and always available for urgent matters. Their level of expertise is very high and they are always up to date on newest legal developments. I was very impressed with the high quality of their work which is always very structured and easy to understand for non-legals.’
‘KPMG Law in cooperation with KPMG Austria covers all matters related to employment, payroll and tax. They can act as “one-stop shop”, making the firm unique on the Austrian market and a very valuable asset for HR departments. High professional competence, high customer service, rapid availability, creative solution.’
‘Elisabeth Wasinger is highly professional, very client-oriented and always intent on finding pragmatic solutions for her clients. She is a remarkable attorney who has a great understanding of not only employment law but the rest of the relevant legal framework as well. In court, she is always very well prepared and conducts herself in a calm but very convincing manner.’
‘Elisabeth Wasinger is one of the best labour law practitioners in Austria. She has broad and in depth knowledge of Austrian labour & employment law. She is very strong on all questions related to collective labour law (collective agreements, works agreements, etc.) and is also a very good litigator. I would strongly recommend her.’
‘Elisabeth Wasinger has excellent expertise, high customer service, quick availability, creative solutions.’
‘Elisabeth Wasinger is a very hard-working lawyer. She focuses on what is essential for the client. Thus, she is highly recommended.’
Raiffeisen Kapitalanlage-Gesellschaft m.b.H
Bühler AG, Niederlassung Österreich
APK Pensionskasse AG
Auer Signal GmbH
Fronius International GmbH
RE/MAX Europe Regional Services – PMSCS Regional Franchise Services GmbH
Wolf Klima- und Heizungstechnik GmbH
Amber Beverage Group
- Representing Raiffeisen Kapitalanlage-Gesellschaft m.b.H in various labour law litigation proceedings.
- Advising the CFO of Bühler AG Niederlassung Österreich (Austrian branch) on labour law matters of notable importance, particularly collective employment law matters, working time matters as well as short time work.
- Acting for Auer Signal in court proceedings, as well as providing general employment advice.
KWR Karasek Wietrzyk Rechtsanwälte GmbH is a key names for clients based in Germany and has notable industry sector expertise in retail and services, as well as expertise in matters at the intersection of employment and data protection law. Anna Mertinz is able to draw on her previous in-house experience to advise on all aspects of individual and collective labour law.
‘The team is very responsive and always delivers quickly, but also thoroughly.’
‘Anna Mertinz worked a good amount of time in-house. Hence she has perfect knowledge of how a company client works and her advice is always very useful.’
Laudamotion GmbH, subsidiary of Ryanair
Theysohn Extrusionstechnik GmbH
Rohde & Schwarz Österreich GesmbH
Estee Lauder Cosmetics GesmbH
Coca-Cola HBC Austria GmbH
ROI Management Consulting AG
Kraftanlagen München GmbH
Towers Watson Austria GmbH
- Advice to Laudamotion GmbH on all individual and collective legal matters relating to employment law such as works council issues, collective bargaining issues, restructurings, and litigation.
- Advising Bio Austria on judicial and extrajudicial agreements, works council and working time issues.
- Advised Theysohn Extrusionstechnik GmbH on the cross-border merger of the Austrian company with its German subsidiary, including assisting with all aspects related to company law, labour law and trade law.
The employment practice at PwC Legal Austria-oehner & partner also provides extensive immigration services including assistance with international deployments and work and residence permits. Employment contracts specialist Ursula Roberts jointly heads the team with associate Eva Krichmayr, who covers immigration questions on top of her social plan and restructuring work.
Ursula Roberts; Eva Krichmayr
Baustoffe-Verkaufslager, Harald Christian Ehrlich GmbH
The Student Hotel
Samsung Electronics Austria GmbH
- Advising Baustoffe-Verkaufslager, Harald Christian Ehrlich GmbH on the reclassification of employees in the new salary scheme of the collective bargaining agreement for white-collar employees and apprentices of commercial companies.
- Advising The Student Hotel ion the drafting of employment contracts, agreements, information letters, regular employment law advice.
- Assisting Schloffer GmbH with the drafting of employment contracts, agreements, information letters.
Although the employment practice at Saxinger, Chalupsky & Partners Rechtsanwälte GmbH (SCWP Schindhelm) has a particular stronghold in Upper Austria, the team is no stranger to cross-border work. Roland Heinrich , who has a focus on employment contracts, plant closures and redundancy plans, and temporary employment expert Bettina Poglies-Schneiderbauer are the practice heads.
Roland Heinrich; Bettina Poglies-Schneiderbauer
‘Professional, smart, pragmatic.’
‘Roland Heinrich is very skilled.’
Susanne Kaufmann Kosmetik GmbH
Kühne + Nagel Gesellschaft m.b.H.
- Advising company founder Susanne Kaufmann on the termination of her existing employment contract with Susanne Kaufmann Kosmetik GmbH subsequent to the purchase of a majority stake by London-based private equity fund Manzanita Capital.