The employment law practice at Binder Grösswang was recently heavily involved in Covid-19-related issues, ranging from advice on short-time work and workforce reductions to testing and vaccination obligations. The firm also noted an increase in employment litigation matters, which constitutes one of the strong suits of the practice along with restructurings, contract drafting and supporting supervisory boards in employment law matters. Horst Lukanec and Angelika Pallwein-Prettner lead the team, with the former well versed in collective labour law and restructuring and the latter heavily involved in data protection topics and litigation work.
Employment in Austria
‘Good coordination in the team, always someone available.’
‘Very professional and fast response.’
‘Fast and reliable.’
‘Provides solid service with a dedicated, competent team.’
‘Ms. Pallwein-Prettner was very competent, expert, pleasant, friendly and at the same time “laid back & low key” even if very impressive. A “quiet force ” I would summarize or “force tranquil” as the French say.’
‘Very professional team, flexible and always oriented to find solutions. The rates are reasonable for the quality they stand for and deliver.’
‘Mrs. Pallwein-Prettner is an outstanding lawyer. Very professional, always friendly and flexible.’
‘Out of the box thinking, always approachable.’
Media Markt Saturn Gruppe
Peek & Cloppenburg KG
Klarna Bank (AB)
Yamaha Motor Europe N.V.
ORF – Austrian Broadcasting Corporation
Federal Ministry of Finance
Energie Burgenland AG
Bankhaus Carl Spängler & Co Aktiengesellschaft
SeneCura Kliniken- und HeimebetriebsgmbH
Tobaccoland Handels GmbH & Co KG
Smurfit Kappa Nettingsdorfer Papierfabrik AG & Co KG
PURE Storage Inc.
Heinemann Austria GmbH
Veeam Software UK Limited
Granite AUT GmbH
Capgemini Consulting Österreich AG
Starbucks Coffee Austria GmbH
- Advised ING on its withdrawal from the Austrian retail banking sector and the connected sale of the specific business to bank99 (Post AG) inclusive of the parallel advice in connection with the set up and negotiating of a social plan for transferred employees.
- Issued an expert opinion for the Austrian Federal Ministry of Finance concerning the internal processes of data gathering to comply with the execution of the evidence resolutions by the parliamentary investigating committee set-up for the alleged corruption of the former federal government (“Ibiza-corruption affair”).
- Advised MAN on a major reorganisation of the business structure and a connected long-term workforce reduction programme inclusive of the swift set up and conclusion of a social plan in the client’s interest.
Clients praise Cerha Hempel’s employment team for its ‘pragmatic solutions’ and ‘great wealth of experience’. The practice advises clients on both day-to-day matters and on larger projects, most recently including Covid-19 related issues such as short-time work. Termination of employment and closure or transfer of operations also constitutes a growing area for the firm. Practice head Julian Feichtinger is ‘able to think outside of the box, always available and a perfect sparring-partner’. Senior counsel Susanne Molitoris is particularly focused on employment disputes, M&A-related employment matters, restructurings and European labour issues.
Other key lawyers:
Susanne Molitoris; Christopher Peitsch
‘Speed of processing: The receipt of the respective request is confirmed at short notice. A substantive answer is given quickly, usually within 24 hours.’
‘Pragmatic solutions: Risks in the case of consequences under labor law are raised and the potential consequences are presented.’
‘Great wealth of experience in respect of ruling practice of labour courts.’
‘Accessibility: RA Mag. Peitsch is very accessible.’
‘Perfect knowledge of Austrian and European labour law, fair billing, great value for money;’
‘Julian Feichtinger is an exceptional labour law expert, able to think outside of the box, always available and a perfect sparring-partner. It’s always a pleasure to be working with him.’
‘Cerha Hempel has a very hands-on approach and is keen to understand the company’s problems and provide tailored solutions. Also, the employment team has a great international network and can also help with cross-border issues.’
‘CERHA HEMPEL has a great team, which is knowledgeable about Austrian employment law – the deliver advice that the clients really appreciate.’
Ritter Sport (Alfred Ritter GmbH)
Booking.com (Österreich) GmbH
Wolfgang Denzel Auto AG.
Grünenthal Austria GmbH
MODUL University Vienna
Dentsu Aegis Network
Primark Mode Ltd & Co KG
SPAR Österreichische Warenhandels-AG
Unibail-Rodamco Austria Management GmbH
Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region (VOR) GmbH
- Advising CNH and its subsidiaries, including Iveco, on all questions under Austrian employment law.
- Successful representation of Verkehrsbund Ost-Region GmbH in proceedings initiated by the works council concerning one of its business partners.
- Acting for Alfred Ritter GmbH as outside employment counsel.
CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH excels across the whole gamut of employment-related matters including pensions, anti-discrimination law, administrative criminal law, and EU and cross-border labour law. Domestic and international corporations instruct the firm for representation before courts and in regard to Covid-19 employment cases. Practice co-head Bernhard Hainz has extensive experience in matters such as negotiating collective agreements, employment litigation and pension issues. Fellow co-head Christoph Wolf is praised by one client for his ‘excellent expertise, communication and problem-solving skills.’
Bernhard Hainz; Christoph Wolf
‘Immediate responses, excellent consultancy, very successful with court cases.’
‘Very experienced team, well-acknowledged expert, good reputation on the market.’
‘Both experts in their roles, very professional, experienced also with court.’
‘The cooperation with the labor law team differs in the legal nature and the excellent representation in court.’
‘Excellent, solution-oriented expertise, especially in public employment and in relation to unions.’
‘Christoph Wolf, excellent expertise, communication and problem solving skills.’
‘Responsive, clear and easy to work with.’
Telekom Austria AG, A1 Telekom Austria AG, Telekom Austria Personalmanagement GmbH
University of Vienna
Medical University of Vienna
Österreichische Post AG
University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna
Vienna University of Economics and Business
ÖBB Group, including ÖBB Postbus
RSO (Raiffeisen Software), RSC (Raiffeisen Shared Service), Raiffeisen Landesbank Wien, NÖ AG
IMS Nanofabrication GmbH
Valida Vorsorge Management / Valida Holding AG / Valida Pension AG
- Advising companies including Telekom Austria AGG, ÖBB-Group, IKEA, BMW and Österreichische Post AG on all labour law matters related to the Covid-19 crisis, such as the introduction of working from home-schemes, Covid-19 short-time work and the drafting and implementation of Covid-19 safety measures at work, including advice on testing schemes and issues on the vaccination of employees.
- Representing Wiener Staatsoper in numerous proceedings before labour law courts and arbitration bodies.
- Successfully represented Österreichische Post AG before the High Administrative Court in a leading case on compensation payments for employers whose workers were quarantined for Covid-19 by official order and continued to receive their remuneration while quarantined.
Wolf Theiss‘s services in employment law span restructurings, pensions, and day-to-day management to litigation and cross-border matters. The firm is especially active in the litigation and restructuring spheres, often acting on behalf of large domestic and international companies. Ralf Peschek is the key partner leading the team and has over 25 years’ experience in labour and employment law. Multinational projects involving several jurisdictions in the CEE and SEE region are regularly handled by Matthias Unterrieder. Senior associate Isabel Firneis specialises in restructuring matters and contentious employment cases.
Other key lawyers:
Matthias Unterrieder; Isabel Firneis
‘Pragmatic, direct, uncomplicated, easy.’
‘The team of Wolf Theiss is very professional and always available on a short notice to support us.’
‘They deal with the complex requests efficiently and providing their feedback based on the legal requirement and the communicated business need.’
‘Dr Ralf Peschek and Mag Isabel Firneis: Both of them are very knowledgeable in labour law with a lot of experience, have good communication skills and always try to accommodate our requests to their best.’
‘Ralf Peschek: Solution-oriented access to problems with view on the goal, holistic consideration of the problem.’
‘Dr. Peschek utilizes his knowledge in labour law in a way that perfectly fits to our specific needs.’
‘They are top notch employment law experts, extremely responsive, an excellent business acumen and from a personal perspective: super easy to work with.’
‘Using them is not only a guarantee for excellent legal advice but also a wise business decision.’
Spinner Austria GmbH
- Advising an insurance company on a large-scale restructuring project, including employee relocation.
- Advising a retail company on restructuring measures and representing the company in redundancy-related litigation cases.
- Advising a bank on changes in its management board and on a new incentive programme.
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG
The employment practice at Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG focuses on advising large Austrian-based corporations and Austrian subsidiaries of international corporation, most notably in the retail, financial services, construction and IT sectors. Its workload include matters concerning corporate restructurings, mass dismissals, post-merger integration, and negotiations with works councils and unions. The firm further covers labour litigation and out-of-court dispute resolution in its activities. Philipp Maier, described by one client as a ‘very customer-oriented solution seeker’, leads the practice. Simone Liebmann-Slatin is another key contact at partner level.
Other key lawyers:
‘Simone Liebmann-Slatin: She was approachable, able to explain legal issues and finally close the case without litigation.’
‘Very well-organised, clear structure’
‘Dr. Philipp Maier is an expert in the Austrian labor law, very customer-orientated solution seeker.’
Emerson Process Management AG
Simcorp (Gain) Austria GmbH
Burgstaller & Preyer Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Burgstaller & Preyer Rechtsanwälte GmbH is a highly specialised labour law boutique that advises clients on the entire range of employment and labour law issues. Domestic and international companies benefit from the firm’s expertise in reorganisations, data protection, staff secondment, and drafting and amending agreements, among others. All stages of labour law litigation are handled by the team, which is headed by founding partners Helmut Preyer and Gerald Burgstaller. Dominik Stella and Patricia Fischer are also noted.
Helmut Preyer; Gerhard Burgstaller
Other key lawyers:
Dominik Stella; Patricia Fischer
- Advising an international investor on extensive employment law issues relating to the potential purchase of an Austrian company active in the automobile industry (trucks and busses) in Upper Austria.
- Drafted all employment contracts for researchers as well as for back-office employees for a start-up company in the area of biochemistry and advised on all labour law issues connected therewith.
- Drafting of various employment contracts for the managing directors of a state-owned finance company, which handles the payments of state subsidies in connection with the Covid pandemic.
DORDA Rechtsanwälte GmbH’s employment team covers contracts, the termination of employment relationships, the employment aspects of acquisitions, work council agreements, and disputes for a host of domestic and international clients. The practice is also able to seamlessly handle matters relating to other areas of expertise including data protection and public law. Thomas Angermaier leads the team and is well versed in both European and Austrian employment in addition to employment litigation and arbitration proceedings. Associate Lisa Kulmer is noted for her expertise in human resource management.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very professional and customer-solution oriented. A big benefit is the long experience and expertise of DORDA.’
‘Lisa Kulmer is an individual who understands perfectly the business needs and has always a solution to discuss. The fast reply is a huge advantage in our cooperation. Her outstanding expertise and willingness to solve complex and challenging cases is so remarkable.’
‘Responsive, good quality, practical/pragmatic advice.’
‘Lisa Kulmer is excellent.’
‘DORDA is very professional during the entire course of providing legal services. They are very responsive and always make effort to meet the (sometimes very tight) deadline. Their advice is always business oriented and straight to the point.’
‘Lisa Kulmer is very helpful, has great knowledge and experience in employment law. She is also very responsive which is of utmost importance.’
‘The employment team at DORDA was instrumental in helping us navigate the pandemic. All of their employment lawyers have exceptional expertise, are highly responsive and the quality of their service is outstanding. With their keen understanding of current employment issues, the employment team at DORDA are way ahead of the game.’
‘Thomas Angermair: The leading labour law expert in Austria. With his quick grasp of issues and his resourcefulness, he has helped us find tailored solutions for our staff, not only during the pandemic, but in all of the 20 years that we have been working with him.’
Claas GmbH & Co KGaA
Honeywell Austria Ges.m.b.H.
Salesforce SFDC Ireland Ltd
Silhouette International Schmied AG
Solera Holdings Inc.
3M Österreich GmbH
Claas GmbH & Co KGaA
Honeywell Austria Ges.m.b.H.
Salesforce SFDC Ireland Ltd
Silhouette International Schmied AG
Solera Holdings Inc.
3M Österreich GmbH
- Advised Silhouette on a global restructuring involving seven jurisdictions.
- Represented Solera in two major proceedings: a special declaratory judgment procedure brought by the works council, concerning an alleged bonus claim of Austrian Audatex employees and an employee affected by the restructuring, who enjoys special protection against termination.
- Advised Salesforce on a challenging settlement negotiation with one of its employees, who refused to pass on unjustly received tax refunds amounting to several hundred thousand euros.
E+H Rechtsanwälte GmbH climbs the ranking this year having significantly strengthened its employment practice with the promotion of Karolin Andréewitch to partner in July 2021 and the arrival of Natalie Hahn , formerly at DSC Doralt Seist Csoklich Rechtsanwälte GmbH. The practice acts for clients on employment contracts, termination and severance, works and collective agreements, as well as in business restructurings and litigation. Jana Eichmeyer leads the team and has expertise in a wide range of employment-related matters including settlement negotiations, social insurance, and works constitution aspects.
Other key lawyers:
Nathalie Hahn; Karolin Andréewitch
‘The team is very capable and always has the business consequences in mind when actions are defined. Very fair pricing. Team members are from different backgrounds and genders.’
‘Dr. Jana Eichmeyer is an outstanding legal expert: always available (also on short notice), she always meets her promises (even if she needs to reply at 2 a.m. at night), her solutions are always very practicable and consider both legal but also business needs.’
‘Highly competent team.’
‘Outstanding expertise and engagement of Dr. Jana Eichmeyer and her team.’
Engelbrecht und Partner Rechtsanwälte
Boutique firm Engelbrecht und Partner Rechtsanwälte‘s employment law proficiency spans matters of company and collective agreement law, anti-discrimination, personnel leasing, as well as pension and employee benefit laws, among others. Public employment law constitutes a particular focus of the team led by Helmut Engelbrecht and Maria Schedle. Both have extensive experience in advising domestic and international clients and executives and representing them before various courts in litigation matters.
Helmut Engelbrecht; Maria Schedle
‘Direct contact / immediate reaction / excellent analysis and answers on short notice.’
‘Helmut Engelbrecht and Maria Schedle are very dedicated and responsive. They showed extraordinary commitment and delivered valuable results.’
‘The team works quickly, in a friendly and very customer-oriented manner. The expertise on the specialist topics is excellent.’
‘Mr. Engelbrecht is one of the best lawyers I know and his support is highly recommended. His recommendations are easy to implement and also made understandable for third parties’
‘Ms Schedle advises our company on labour law issues. She is always available and provides very precise and understandable information. Even if we bring several problems to her at the same time, she does not lose the overview and takes the same amount of time for each of our enquiries. The cooperation is characterised by a great deal of humanity and respect. This mix of incredible expertise and high social competence distinguishes Ms Schedle as a lawyer!’
‘Fast availability, pragmatic solution.’
‘Excellent availability, short response time.’
‘Deep knowledge, permanent accessibility, thinking forward, always looking for feasible solutions’
Jugend am Werk Salzburg GmbH
CTS Eventim Austria GmbH
TÜV Austria Holding AG
- Representing Jugend am Werk Salzburg and VIELE gGmbH in an employment dispute matter.
- Advising CTS Eventim Austria GmbH on employment law matters on an ongoing basis.
- Representing TÜV Austria Holding AG in employment law related matters.
GERLACH LÖSCHER | Littler
Employment law boutique GERLACH LÖSCHER | Littler handles matters ranging from conflict management, contracts, restructurings and data protection matters. Clients in the IT sector and pharmaceutical industry are increasingly turning to the team, which is led by Markus Löscher and Roland Gerlach. The group has also been active in Covid-19 employment-related matters. Michaela Gerlach is another a key contact in the team; she specialises in the employment law implications of corporate issues.
Markus Löscher; Roland Gerlach
Other key lawyers:
‘Client-focused, success-driven, highly specialized in employment law.’
‘Mag. Löscher is competent and knowledgeable. His quick-witted approach and easy-going demeanour make it a pleasure to work with him.’
‘I was impressed by the cordial demeanour of the staff as well as the commitment, empathy and expertise of my counsel.’
‘Markus Loescher: His command of a broad body of material was impressive. His manner was friendly and congenial. I felt that he was not only professionally but also personally concerned. He takes the rule of law and justice seriously. He communicates well and is available.’
‘Excellent, pragmatic advice with good business judgement.’
‘Dr Gerlach is business-minded.’
‘This law firm has a great team where everybody is specialised in a certain field. If a client has a specific question and the usual contact person does not have the answer, the question is forwarded to a colleague. This way, a very quick and smooth service is ensured.’
‘Practical, business-minded, fast, excellent service.’
Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH
card complete Service Bank AG
Mylan (A Viatris Company)
AOP Orphan Pharmaceuticals AG
RohrMax Rohrreinigungs- und Kanalsanierungsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Amomed Pharma GmbH
Kansai Helios Coatings GmbH (former Ring Alliance)
New Work SE
JAGGAER Austria GmbH
Works Council Board Personnel of Austrian Airlines
- Representing Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH in an employment case pending before the Supreme Court.
- Acting for Card complete Service Bank AG on all aspects of employment law.
- Advising Mylan on the employment aspects of a merging of functions.
Labour law matters related to outsourcing, M&A and the privatisation of public enterprises are among Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH's strengths. The group also advises clients on data protection including whistleblowing and employment termination and handles cross-border cases, among others. Practice head Franz Marhold and associate Christoph Ludvik are the key contacts, assisting clients in contentious and non-contentious matters alike.
Other key lawyers:
‘The law firm is small enough to give you as a client the feeling of personal care.’
Constantia Industries Holding
Österreichischer Genossenschaftsverband (Schultze-Delitzsch)
- Advising longstanding client Constantia Industries on labour law issues, such as works agreements, conciliation board proceedings, restructuring endeavours and labour court proceedings.
- Advising longstanding client Apollo Optik (Austrian brand is Pearle) on employment law advice regarding all aspects of employment law and litigation matters concerning the company.
- Advising the renowned Vienna Philharmonic orchestra on employment law, joint examination of wage-related levies GPLA (social security and wage tax audit) and other social law issues.
Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH’s team, led by Georg Schima and Birgit Vogt-Majarek, advises clients on high-profile employment matters including business restructurings, works council relations, social security, compliance and data protection, frequently within a cross-border context. The practice’s activities span a range of sectors including healthcare, telecoms, IT and transportation, to name a few. Schima is particularly known for his expertise in director’s and officers’ liability and contract matters and remuneration policies, while Vogt-Majarek is often instructed in questions pertaining to individual employment law.
Georg Schima; Birgit Vogt-Majarek
APCS Power Clearing and Settlement AG
Canon Austria GmbH
Carglass Austria GmbH
Catalate Commerce, Inc
Celebi Ground Services Austria GmbH
C-Quadrat Investment AG
DXC Technology Austria GmbH
EntServ Enterprise Services Austria GmbH
EDUSCHO Austria GmbH
Eckes-Granini Austria GmbH
EUROTAX Österreich GmbH
FRIMECO Produktions GmbH
ENerserv Getec GmbH
Ibis Acam Bildungs GmbH
Johnson & Johnson Group Austria
Kleen-Tex Industries GmbH
Lundbeck Austria GmbH
Moet Hennessy Österreich GmbH
Moncler Deutschland GmbH
ÖBB Business Competence Center GmbH
Pryde Group GmbH
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles Austria
RIMC Hotels & Resorts Group
Stehomed GmbH/ WHS medical GmbH
Temp Champ GmbH
Waldviertler Sparkasse Bank AG
Wirecard Central Eastern Europe GmbH
- Advising ÖBB Group of companies in ongoing employment law advice, diverse litigation and out-of-court disputes.
- Advising Johnson & Johnson Group Austria on all employment law issues in Austria.
- Advising Moet Hennessy Österreich GmbH in all aspects of employment, corporate and business law.
Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte)'s workload includes both contentious and non-contentious matters, for example advice on restructurings, employment contracts, the cross-border posting of employees, and advising on employment matters within the public sector. Practice head Stefan Kühteubl covers a wide range of related issues, with extensive experience particularly in employment aspects of M&A transactions. Teresa Waidmann, who was promoted to counsel in February 2021, is praised by one client for ‘delivering smart and practical solutions no matter how complex the issue is’.
Other key lawyers:
‘The cooperation is characterised above all by the willingness of the individual lawyers to understand the client’s circumstances. In addition to competent advice and expertise, Schönherr also provides us with competent and reliable support in labour law disputes.’
‘The team has profound expertise and a lot of experience in labour law disputes.’
‘High level of legal knowledge and experience of the team members.’
‘The legal expertise and legal statement is always on the point and clearly describing the various option for the client but with a clear recommendation for further action.’
‘Schoenherr’s team is young and motivated. They have great expertise and are super responsive, even on short notice.’
‘Teresa Waidmann is our to-go-to employment law expert, delivering smart and practical solutions no matter how complex the issue is. She brings it straight to the point, and that’s the kind of advisor we need in our daily business. Definitely recommended.’
Bilfinger Maschinenbau GmbH & Co KG (Bilfinger)
Hypo Immobilien & Leasing GmbH
Central European University (CEU)
TUW – Technische Universität Wien
AKH – Allgemeines Krankenhaus Wien (Vienna General Hospital)
UNICREDIT Bank Austria AG
- Advising Central European University on all employment-related aspects subsequent to its cross-border transition of CEU’s campus from Budapest to Vienna.
- Advising UNICREDIT Bank Austria AG on employment law matters, including compensation.
- Advising ORF and its group companies on employment law matters, including advice on the reframing of its pension sharing system and complex legal questions regarding the various Collective Bargaining Agreements.
The pandemic has kept the employment team at Taylor Wessing enwc Rechtsanwälte GmbH busy advising in issues pertaining to short-time work, health and safety measures, employee testing and questions surrounding vaccinations. Besides that, the firm assists clients with a range of employment-related matters such as flexible working models and whistleblowing, the latter in which practice head Wolfgang Kapek is well-versed. Consumer and retail are a focus of Brigitte Sammer, while Walter Pöschl is specialised in renumeration systems in banks and social security law.
‘It is rare that I do not need to give a firm “prep time” for a call. Walter knows our way of working, our risk appetite, and the company’s structure enough to understand the audience of each project or case. His quick, precise, and relevant advice is much appreciated.’
‘Walter Poeschl has the most strategic mind of all of the firms working with our company. He understands what result we want and he gets us there, whether it’s in negotiations with works councils or in organizing our working time and remuneration structure.’
‘Broad knowledge in different areas of labour law, advice was to the point, very practical advice, avoidance of time consuming written statements’
‘Good response time when contacted, very friendly, good legal knowledge’
‘The employment team in Taylor Wessing that we are collaborating with is very professional and represents our interests in the best possible way.’
‘The expertise and attention to detail is very satisfactory. The partners always make time for our queries and have also extensive experience in the litigation field.’
TTTech Computertechnik AG
Möller Feuerfesttechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Shockwave Medical, Inc.
INS Insider Navigation Systems GmbH
Concept Cool Vertriebsgesellschaft m.b.H.
“Show-Factory” Entertainment GmbH
Nestlé Österreich GmbH NESPRESSO ÖSTERREICH GMBH & Co OHG
Vorwerk Austria GmbH & Co KG
T-Systems Austria GesmbH
DSV Air & Sea GmbH
Jafra Cosmetics Handelsgesellschaft mbH
IES Abroad Institute for the International Education of Students
W.L. GORE & ASSOCIATES Gesellschaft m.b.H.
Virtual Vehicle Research GmbH
Holmes Place Wien GmbH
CYATHUS EXQUIRERE PharmaforschungsGmbH
Atradius Kreditversicherung, Zweigniederlassung der Atradius Crédito y Caución S.A. de Seguros y Reaseguros
Vorwerk Austria GmbH & Co KG
Panasonic Electric Works Austria GmbH
SHISEIDO AUSTRIA GmbH
Tyrolit Schleifmittelwerke Swarovski K.G.
Leykam Let’s Print Holding AG
Europapier Austria GmbH
Otto Bock Healthcare Products GmbH
- Supporting Nestlé/Nespresso Austria with the development and creation of a customized group-wide concept regarding employment contracts and their implementation, the implementation of a flexible work system in relation to remote work, and the creation and implementation of a technical tool to solve highly complex calculations regarding the classification in the applicable collective bargaining agreement / the conversion to the new salary scheme.
- Advising Otto Bock Healthcare Products GmbH on the establishment of the group-wide whistleblowing system in Austria and support in respect to questions around the implementation requirements under EU- and Austrian law.
- Advising TTTEch Computertechnik AG on highly specialised questions related to employees’ data protection, EDP safety measures and working time solutions as well as general employment law.
Labour law disputes and restructurings are among the core strengths of DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach Rechtsanwälte GmbH‘s employment practice. The team is experienced in handling the employment aspects of cross-border transactions, where it frequently works alongside offices globally. Stephan Nitzl heads the practice and has expertise in employment litigation and transactional labour law, in addition to advising clients on day-to-day employment matters.
Wizz Air Hungary Zrt
TMF Group B.V.
Deutsche Lufthansa AG
METRO Cash & Carry Österreich GmbH
Jung von Matt Donau GmbH
- Advising Wizz Air Hungary on a restructuring programme involving staff cutbacks and representation in related disputes.
- Advising Vienna-based consulting firm TMF with regard to the management liability of its former managing director.
- On-going strategic employment law advice for Deutsche Lufthansa AG.
Employment, human resources, immigration, and pension law constitute the areas of expertise for Eversheds Sutherland | Stolitzka & Partner RAe OG's team. The practice has close ties to the firm’s trade license law, data protection, corporate, and litigation departments, allowing it to seamlessly advise clients on a host of employment and labour matters, especially in regard to M&A-deals and due diligence procedures. Practice head Silva Palzer’s specialisations include M&A-related human resources advice.
‘It seems they properly use technology to have full transparency about the information you give them and they know how to collaborate with each other.‘
‘A fast answer and good way of communication makes the work with Eversheds Sutherland very good.‘
‘Very high level of expertise, always up to date with the latest knowledge, very high service orientation, fast and uncomplicated support – even when things have to be done quickly – as well as good accessibility by mail and telephone.‘
‘The team offer a very pragmatic, business driven approach, very responsive, high level of expertise with valuable high-end advice considering clients’ interests.’
Legero Schuhfabrik GmbH
AR Packaging GmbH
- Assisted Badger Meter Inc with due diligence including HR work and SPA procedure where employment matters had to be covered in the representation and warranties.
- Representing an international NASDAQ-listed global leader in veterinary diagnostics, software and water testing in two court proceedings regarding an employee.
- Advised Global People with its entry in the Austrian market, including the incorporation of the entity, the drafting of all employment contracts and the transfer of employees from another employer.
Fellner Wratzfeld & Partners advises companies on collective and individual labour law and represents them in legal disputes before courts and conciliation boards. Social plans related to the shutdown of plants, personnel reductions and negotiating work agreements are particular areas of expertise for the firm. Kurt Wratzfeld leads the practice with specialisations in company pension law and civil law. Monika Sturm is another key contact of the employment practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘FWP has a very experienced team with some of the best brains of lawyers. unfortunately i don‘t know anything about their billing, but I do know that they help young artists by exhibiting their art and that they promote diversity. They always deliver on time, no matter when you contact them, and with the highest quality.’
UniCredit Bank Austria AG
Imperial Tobacco Austria Marketing Service GmbH
- Providing the client Imperial Tobacco Austria Marketing Service GmbH with continuing advice and representation on all matters of employment law.
GRAF ISOLA focuses its employment practice on company pension law and collective labour law. The firm advises clients from the oil & gas, IT, engineering, entertainment and non-profit social services sectors, among others. Practice head Jakob Widner also leads the dispute resolution practice group and is well versed in handling employment litigation as well as drafting contracts and separation agreements and assisting clients in restructurings.
‘Availability is very good and very satisfying speed in delivering as promised, good communication skills.’
‘Very fast answers, very good knowledge of our industry and our needs, absolute suitability of all received advice regarding practical implementation, successful regarding avoidance of legal disputes, but also regarding satisfaction of the need of our employees, absolutely good value for money.’
‘Mr. Jakob Widner: fast, practical, reliable.’
‘Our experiences so far have been that there was always a competent contact person for the various point we have brought forward, and the questions raised were handled in a timely manner.’
Chamber of Commerce (WKÖ)
LUKOIL Lubricants Europe
- Advising Samariterbund (ASBÖ) on negotiating and clarifying the legal status of Corona-helpers (Corona-testing; Corona-vaccinations) in negotiations with involved stakeholders (national insurance providers; chamber of employees; other aid organisations), finding practical solutions to complex legal issues in support of those active at the forefront in the challenging surroundings of the Corona-crisis.
- Advising the Chamber of Commerce on the overhaul of indexation mechanisms for pension and salary schemes (successful litigation/representation before Austrian courts including the supreme court in all cases; consequences of future mechanism and planned changes).
- Advising JobRad Österreich GmbH on all employment matters relevant to setting up a presence in Austria.
Kinner Korenjak LAW
Kinner Korenjak LAW's 'team is very service oriented and understands the client’s need’. The employment law boutique was established in early 2020 and has since made a name for itself by providing comprehensive advice to a range of clients. Most recently, the team has expanded its activities in the areas of litigation and restructuring and has also been involved in Covid-19 related matters. Wolfgang Kinner and Ingrid Korenjak jointly lead the team.
Wolfgang Kinner; Ingrid Korenjak
‘Very friendly, search for tailored solutions.’
‘Wolfgang Kinner, Ingrid Korenjak: high competence, quick answers.’
‘They have a thorough way of working, are easily accessible and give quick feedback.’
‘Dr Kinner: very easy to work with, knowledgeable and service oriented.’
‘Ingrid Korejak: She is great and I always recommend her to clients for Austrian employment law. She is very responsive and her advice is very practical.’
‘The team is very service oriented and understands the client’s need.’
‘Dr. Wolfgang Kinner is an excellent lawyer and I appreciate the cooperation.’
‘Wolfgang Kinner is a great employment lawyer, who is always available for quick and to the point legal analysis.’
Siemens Aktiengesellschaft Österreich
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics GmbH
Siemens Personaldienstleistungen GmbH
The employment law and immigration practice at KPMG Law in Austria offers clients interdisciplinary support in line with the firm’s tax expertise. Restructuring projects, contentious matters, and transaction-related employment work are all part of the practice’s offering, which also includes Covid-19-related issues and global mobility. Elisabeth Wasinger heads the team and is particularly active in the areas of litigation and restructuring.
Other key lawyers:
C-Quadrat Investment AG
Implenia Baugesellschaft mbH
Keepers Child Safety GmH
RE/MAX Europe Regional Services – PMSCS Regional Franchise Services GmbH
Wolf ButterBack KG/ Martin Braun-Gruppe Österreich (Dr. Oetker)
Wolf Klima- und Heiztechnik GmbH
- Advised the Austrian branches of Implenia Baugesellschaft mbH on various employment law matters.
- Advised PEPCO on all employment law issues in relation to PEPCO’s market entry in Austria.
- Assisted TUNAP together with KMPG tax experts on a major restructuring affecting around 80 employees in Austria.
One client praises the employment practice at KWR Karasek Wietrzyk Rechtsanwälte GmbH for the 'high responsiveness of the team and prompt follow-up to our inquiries'. The team advises clients on matters including human resource-related projects, data protection issues, mass redundancies and transfer of businesses, as well as negotiating works council agreements and contracts. Anna Mertinz leads the practice and has extensive expertise in both individual and collective employment law.
‘Always very prompt and professional cooperation.’
‘We appreciated very much the high responsiveness of the team and prompt follow-up to our inquiries.’
‘Dr. Anna Mertinz has done an excellent job in communicating what is a ‘must’ in the agreement and where we have freedom of choice. Furthermore she went the extra mile by providing us with relevant additional information to support our decision-making process.’
Familie & Beruf Management
TIAN Gourmet Restaurants
Rohde & Schwarz
Lauda and Ryanair DAC
Diversity Think Tank Consulting
Coca-Cola HBC Austria GmbH
Samsonite Europe NV
- Advising Lauda, subsidiary of Ryanair, on all individual and collective legal matters relating to employment law, works Council issues, collective bargaining agreement negotiations, restructurings, handling of over 200 court cases, social partner cases, Supreme court cases, mass redundancies, Covid questions, and airline specific employment law questions.
- Advising Coca-Cola HBC Austria GmbH on ongoing legal questions and representation in court cases, settlement agreements, short time work and Covid-related questions.
- Advising Mister Spex on setting up a new branch in Austria including all employment contracts and side agreements, advise on specifics of Austrian employment law, specifics on collective bargaining agreement and flexitime, movement and relocation of employees.
Employment law boutique Prchal Anwaltsbüro handles the entire spectrum of work in this area for domestic and international clients. The firm is particularly specialised in reorganisations, contract work and issues pertaining to work time, in addition to a growing volume of employment litigation cases. Clients stem from industries including hospitality, trade, pharma and IT. Founding partner Robert Prchal is regularly involved in cross-border and immigration matters as well as restructurings and redundancies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Competent, hardworking, and friendly.’
‘The level of communication from the firm is excellent regarding ongoing cases.‘
‘Generally, legal issues are always explained to us in a way that make them clearly understandable for people without a legal background.‘
‘In terms of billing, we consider the firm’s practice to be very fair and transparent.’
‘We are a very satisfied with the firm and with the entire team – from the secretariat up to the Managing Partner.‘
‘What we appreciate greatly, is that any legal issue, regardless of its complexity, is explained thoroughly and clearly, leaving no room for misunderstandings.‘
‘Robert Prchal is an excellent lawyer with a vast amount of legal knowledge and experience, especially in the field of labor law.‘
‘Robert is able to break down highly complicated legal issues in a clear manner, which is not something many lawyers are able to do as well as he does. He is very calm and focused on key issues when handling negotiations or speaking in court, which – from our point of view – benefits our cases.‘
EQOS Energie Österreich GmbH
Parfümerie Douglas Gesellschaft m.b.H.
AstraZeneca Österreich GmbH
Munich Hotel Partners
Cornerstone on Demand
Hotusa Hotels grousp
URSA Dämmersysteme Austria GmbH
Oaklins TJP Corporate Finance GmbH
- Representing Douglas Parfümerie GmbH in proceedings against three dismissed employees who challenged their dismissal in court on the grounds that it was not justified and against one employee in proceedings for unfair dismissal.
- Advised WaveOptics on cross-border questions regarding the deployment of employees from the UK to Austria and on questions of engaging employees directly in Austria through the UK legal entity.
- Advised Hermann Ultraschall GmbH with regard to the premature unjustified resignation of an employee claiming termination entitlements in court.
Collective and individual employment law are covered by Schindler Attorneys’ employment practice, with other strengths including advice on group restructurings and reorganisations, outsourcings, and corporate acquisitions. Practice head Barbara Klinger has extensive experience in employment litigation and immigration law as well as employment matters at the intersection with transactional matters. Martin Lanner is specialised in migration law and data protection and is also well versed in matters relating to working time models.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong team and good collaboration.’
‘Good knowledge, individual treatment, professional dealing.’
‘Individual consulting, personal contact, friendliness.’
‘Great people, great skills.’
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
ASFINAG Autobahnen-Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs AG
Technisches Museum Wien
BDO Austria Holding Wirtschaftsprüfung GmbH
BTO Forschung GmbH
TriLite Technologies GmbH
C&A Mode GmbH & Co. KG
Demner, Merlicek und Bergmann
Inetum Österreich GmbH
Wombats Holding GmbH
Styria Media Group
- Advised IIASA on the implementation of shop agreements on WFH and on performance management
- Advised ASFINAG on negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement.
- Advised VERDINO on the implementation of an almost exclusive WFH scheme.
Zeiler Floyd Zadkovich
Zeiler Floyd Zadkovich regularly represents clients before courts in employment litigation matters in addition to advising on a wide range of non-contentious issues in this area. Pensions, data protection, executive contracts, and immigration form part of the firm’s service portfolio. Practice head Hans Georg Laimer assists clients with all areas of employment law Andreas Tinhofer joined the firm in January 2021 from MOSATI, strengthening the department’s expertise in company pensions and employee data protection matters.
Hans Georg Laimer
Other key lawyers:
‘Mr. Laimer can present issues very briefly and in a striking manner. He is extremely flexible. The special and very complex legal issues in the construction industry are very quickly brought to the point by him.’
Dr Alexandra Knell
Dr Alexandra Knell advises companies on issues related to restructurings, mass redundancies, and transfer of businesses. The firm has also experienced high volumes of Covid-19 related instructions including advice on short-time work, home working and restructuring.
The 'very competent' team at Barnert Egermann Illigasch Rechtsanwälte GmbH is involved in advising businesses and executive employees on employment and labour law matters pertaining to date protection, compliance, terminations, and mobility strategies. Practice head Clemens Egermann, who is 'extremely solution oriented, fast reacting and a perfect business partner', has experience of both individual and collective labour law including litigation.
‘The team reacts quickly and in a very nice manner at all times.’
‘Very competent. Strategic thinkers.’
‘Strong reactivity; high availability; adequate responses to our questions.’
‘Clemens Engelmann: he understood very quickly our needs and answered our questions rapidly. He delivered on time products and was able to contextualize his answer to help us better understand our legal environment.’
‘Highly professional team for all business topics.’
‘Dr. Egermann is extremely solution oriented, fast reacting and a perfect business partner. Being able to discuss an issue from different perspectives like risk, resources, revenues, costs e.g. with him has always led to very good solutions.’
Gebrüder Weiss Gesellschaft m.b.H.
“Xvise” innovative logistics GmbH
Philips Austria GmbH
Bauarbeiter Urlaubs- und Abfertigungskasse
Gesellschaft österreichischer Kinderdörfer
Institut français d’Autriche-Vienne
Managing director and shareholder of a medical device manufacturer
European American Investment Bank AG
- Representing EVN AG in disputes related to employment.
- Representing Gebrüder Weiss Gesellschaft m.b.H in litigation relating to employment.
- Counsel for employment law aspects of Curium’s acquisition of IoGmbH.
BLS Rechtsanwälte GmbH is instructed on employment and labour matters by domestic and international companies, most notably clients in the retail and production sectors. Its recent workload includes employment litigation, home office models and benefits. Key partner Thomas Boller is specialised in the establishment of works councils and related agreements, outsourcing, and the posting of employees from abroad.
- Represented a company in the automotive sector before the conciliation body for substitution of the consent of a works council to conclude a works agreement due to a failed agreement on the installation of a new VoIP software.
- Advising a construction engineering company operating globally in setting up of a branch in Austria and posting of its employees, both EU nationals and UK nationals, after Brexit to Austria.
- Advised a Swiss group in respect of regulatory aspects and contractual risks of hiring leased employees in Austria and posting such to construction sites in Switzerland and Germany.
Edthaler Leitner-Bommer Schmieder & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH advises domestic and international companies on a range of matters pertaining to employment law, including contracts and agreements, labour leasing, working time, employee participation schemes, and restructuring. Due diligence and the representation of clients in administrative criminal proceedings and other employment-related dispute matters are also part of the firm’s portfolio. Johannes Edthaler is the key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent competence in labor law.’
‘Good relation between fee and service, competent persons are available quickly, short response times, easy going collaboration, deadlines are adhered to.’
‘The collaboration with Dr. Traxler has been incredibly straightforward from the start.’
‘Good collaboration esp. with Christina Traxler, very responsive, able to get difficult issues to the point, keeps deadlines.’
Prinzhorn Holding GmbH
Arthur D. Little Austria GmbH
Heinemann Austria GmbH
- Advising Prinzhorn GmbH, Arthur D. Little Austria GmbH and Heinemann Austria GmbH on the drafting of employment contracts, working time models and company agreements as well as assistance with cross-border secondments and labour transfers as well as in the employment of foreign staff.
Körber-Risak Rechtsanwalts GmbH is a boutique firm that specialises in employment law and thus offers services on the whole range of related matters including representation before courts and administrative authorities. Clients stem from industries including retail and wholesale, healthcare, transport, and media. Katharina Körber-Risak and recent partner promotion Julia Englader , Sarah Meixner & Raphael Schanda jointly lead the team. Moritz Linder left the firm in summer 2021.
‘Very competent law firm in all employment law questions. They are readily available and give clear recommendations even on complicated legal issues.’
‘Mrs. Katharina Körber-Risak: broad professional competence, is able and willing to give clear answers to ad-hoc questions.’
AKRAS Flavours GmbH
Austrian Airlines AG
Several works council and the group representation (“Konzernvertretung”; ie. the highest employee body) of OMV AG
Greenyard Fresh Austria GmbH
Rehabilitation clinic Montafon
Social Security Agency for Public Servants, Railways and Mining (BVAEB)
Superfund Asset Management GmbH
- Advising Austrian Airlines AG (AUA) on an ongoing basis on employment law matters, especially in connection with Covid-19 related issues.
- Advising Gurkerl.at GmbH on various labour law issues, in particular the implementation of flexible working time models, home office policies, shift working for blue-collar workers.
- Advising ARKAS Flavours GmbH on an ongoing basis on various employment law matters, in particular in connection with working time issues.
PHH Rechtsanwälte GmbH
PHH Rechtsanwälte GmbH's employment practice advises domestic and international clients on a range of matters including personnel leasing, restructuring, data protection issues, the employment of foreign citizens in Austria, as well as remuneration schemes. Practice head Nicolaus Mels-Colloredo focuses on individual and collective employment law as well as transactions.
‘Flexible and extremely eager.’
‘Quick and positive feedback.’
‘Broad expertise on different industries, and domains, good teamwork among the members of PHH.’
‘Fantastic client facing people, real intention to understand the client’s position, and plans. They have the competency to think together with the client on disruptive solutions, future plans and ideas.’
‘Very professional, skilled employees with a fresh, hands on mentality.’
‘Especially swift and up to the point, with the right attitude towards solution-oriented approaches.’
IRIS HR Consulting (MCN Global HR)
FREE NOW mytaxi Austria GmbH
SALESIANER MIETTEX GmbH
MARC O’POLO International GmbH
Makita Werkzeug Ges.m.b.H.
BayWa r.e. Power Solutions GmbH
BayWa IT GmbH
Geveko Markings Group
Ao. Univ. Prof. Dr. Michael Gnant
Webster Vienna Private University Bildungsverein für die Freunde der Webster University (St. Louis, USA)
BLANCO Austria Küchentechnik GmbH
PwC Legal Austria-oehner & partner’s employment law and immigration practice group provides clients with support throughout the entire work-life cycle, with particular strengths in immigration services. Ursula Roberts is well versed in both individual and collective employment law. Eva Krichmayr leads on the immigration law matters and has extensive expertise in social security law.
Ursula Roberts; Eva Krichmayr
Baustoffe – Verkaufslager, Harald Christian Ehrlich GmbH
Schachinger Immobilien und Dienstleistungs GmbH & Co KG
- Advising Baustoffe – Verkaufslager, Harald Christian Ehrlich GmbH on the reclassification of employees in the new salary scheme of the collective bargaining agreement for white-collar employees and apprentices of commercial companies (KV-Handel NEU).
- Advising JCL AG on general employment law matters.
- Advising Schachinger Immobilien und Dienstleistungs GmbH & Co KG on the drafting of employment contracts and management service agreements.
Saxinger, Chalupsky & Partners (SCWP Schindhelm)'s employment practice handles reorganisations, the intra-group transfer of employees as well as employment litigation. The firm has also been involved in Covid-19 related advisory work and disputes before the Austrian courts. Roland Heinrich, who has notable proficiency advising on manager contracts, plant closures and redundancy plans, and Bettina Poglies-Schneiderbauer, who focuses on temporary employment matters, are the practice heads.
Roland Heinrich; Bettina Poglies-Schneiderbauer
‘SWCP has experts for different legal issues. It is more efficient and easier to coordinate.’
‘Smart, professional, cooperative, flexible.’
- Advising the Austrian subsidiary of Secop Austria on employment law issues arising from a restructuring process.
- Assisting a global life sciences company with a range of issues arising from the transfer of employees from one of the largest life sciences multinationals.
- Advising a multinational agriculture company on the restructuring of a production site subsequent to shutdown of its main production unit and the laying off of several employees.