Highlighted for its ‘professionalism, commitment, dedication and knowledge’, the labour practice at Baker McKenzie provides broad coverage of the sector, from pensions, employee benefits and day-to-day human resources advice, to employment litigation, collective negotiations and union issues. The team frequently handles terminations and layoffs, including the complex issues arising from regulatory changes in these areas due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Issues relating to migration constitute another key specialism, one where the firm can utilise its extensive global network. Employment litigation expert Daniel Orlansky co-leads the team with Alberto Gonzalez Torres, who focuses on general employment advice, employment contracts, litigation and workers compensation, as well as advising on social security and pension funds. Other key names in the area include Matías Herrero (litigation, labour relations and collective bargaining), Felipe Graham (who was promoted to the partnership in November 2020), and senior associate Gabriela Montani who arrived from Allende & Brea in December 2020. However, the long-serving Carlos Dodds retired in July 2020 and the practice also lost senior associates, Sara Alvarez (to Frassia Abogados) and Luciana Ibarrola (who moved in house at Coto CICSA) during the course of the year.
Labour and employment in Argentina
Daniel Orlansky; Alberto Gonzalez Torres
‘The experience and the support and knowledge of the company for so many years is valued’.
‘Implementation of webinars and news by social media’.
‘Professionalism, commitment, dedication and knowledge. They present the news on time. hey quickly adapted to a way of advising online, zoom, etc’.
‘They focus on the practical, they direct their response to the specific need of the client’.
SC Johnson & Son
Dow DuPont (Corteva)
- Advised a client in the plastics industry on litigation with the trade union about the interpretation of Covid-19 regulations and whether the client’s activities constituted an essential operation.
- Assisted clients in the plastic and pharmaceutical sectors regarding plant closures.
- Defended clients in the commercial retail and household products sectors on cases in which sales employees sought commissions and payments under the “Traveling Salesman statute”.
Funes De Rioja & Asociados
Sizeable, specialist boutique Funes De Rioja & Asociados stands out in the sector for its expertise in HR law, including the areas of immigration and social security. Argentina's Ius Laboris member firm, the broad and experienced practice covers the full range of labour matters, including regulatory advice, restructuring, collective bargaining and complex litigation involving individual and mass trials. The practice group -some 46 lawyers strong- works exclusively for employers and employer associations, local and international, and is particularly active in infrastructure and technology-related matters, notably telework issues. Specialist management advisor Eduardo Viñales co-leads the practice with Ignacio Funes De Rioja, who is known for both individual and collective labour law advice, and Florencia Funes de Rioja, who specialises in expatriates, global mobility and immigration matters. Other key names amidst a wealth of talent include: founding partner and chairman of the board Daniel Funes de Rioja; Ignacio Eduardo Capurro, who specializes in the negotiation, administration and resolution of collective disputes; and procedural specialist Pablo Barbieri, who heads the team responsible for coordinating the firm's judicial activity. Younger partners Maria Eugenia Santos (labour and human resources audits and due diligence) and Veronica Puerta Basaldua (labour litigation; labour counselling both individual and collective), are also noted.
Eduardo Viñales; Ignacio Funes de Rioja; Florencia Funes de Rioja
‘The speed of response, are clear and precise. They help make business decisions’.
‘The Estudio Funes de Rioja team is the firm’s great strength, that is, its members. They have experts in all areas of labour law and social security and there is hardly another firm in Argentina with that level of expertise and responsiveness’.
‘They move with ease on issues of individual labour law, collective law, dealing with unions and companies, social security, etc. In my opinion, it is above any other office on the matter. As if that were not enough, they also have an excellent knowledge of litigation, which exceeds the mere labour, and years of experience in collective bargaining, having been part of all the important ones in the last decades’.
‘I believe that it is by far the firm in Argentina (and I would dare to say of the region) that can provide the best advice on labour matters of all and that it is an obligatory reference for any legal manager, legal director or general counsel of a company’.
‘The firm is always at the forefront in providing legal services and in permanent innovation’.
‘Its practices are certified by standardised quality, it also has a very good technological support that makes it super easy to maintain communications and work periodically with partners and lawyers remotely’.
‘Not only do they offer a personalised first-line service (the partners are fully involved in each and every one of the issues entrusted), but they are also prepared to efficiently handle huge flows of lawsuits (throughout the country) maintaining a premium service, at the same time that they provide an invaluable permanent advisory service, which ranges from advising on matters of trade union negotiations and conflicts, framing, individual law, etc’.
‘I especially highlight Ignacio Funes de Rioja, who, honouring the path outlined by his father, is a person of obligatory consultation for any aspect of the matter that the company has. He is not only a refined lawyer with a very high level of knowledge of each of the issues, but also moves like a fish in water in all the areas of the firm’s expertise; above all else, he generates a level of absolute confidence’.
The experienced labour and employment team at Marval O’Farrell Mairal stands out for the breadth of its expertise and strong international practice. The team specialises in multijuristictional litigation and the transfers of foreign employees, as well as frequently advising on M&A (one of the wider firm's key strengths), associated due diligence, labour compliance and union negotiations. Labour litigation is another pillar of the practice, with the department acting at all judicial levels, including representing companies before the Labour Secretary. The firm is also utilising technological tools to improve its offering and has originated its own "Marval ia" software, an AI instrument designed to produce over 20 different types of automatised documents and predictions, including services for labour risk insurers and legal tech solutions in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic. Prominent labour-litigation expert Javier Patrón leads a team of over 60 lawyers that includes Enrique Stile and José María Llano, 30-year veterans on the advisory and litigious sides of the practice, respectively; Diego Kelly, who focuses on labour-related M&A matters; Rodrigo Solá Torino, who heads up the firm's immigration practice; and younger partner Guillermo Osorio, whose strength is labour litigation. Key associate support comes from seniors Paola Forchiassin and María Eugenia Soncini; however, fellow associates María Eugenia Cantenys moved in house at Tata Consultancy Services and Walter Mañko moved to Deloitte & Co. S.A. as a partner (both in June 2021).
‘Practical approach, agility and expertise’.
‘It is a group of partners with really outstanding work’.
‘Enrique Stile and Rodrigo Sola are very good. They implemented a scheme to limit working hours to achieve a balanced work environment for associates and are promoting the career of young women lawyers. Enrique is a visionary and a very positive person with excellent connections at all levels. Rodrigo is well liked by clients and establishes firm and lasting relationships’.
Moët Hennessy • Louis Vuitton
United States of America
- Advised Aerolíneas Argentinas on its merger with Austral Líneas Aéreas Cielos del Sur, arguably the most complex merger in Argentine history, involving a combined workforce of over 16,000 employees.
- Assisting Paradigm in a highly sensitive, complex, multijurisdictional litigation brought in both Argentina and Brazil by a former CEO of the company, obtaining a favourable first instance ruling that accepted -from an economic perspective- only 1% of the claim.
- Successfully assisting Senvion with the urgent transfer of several foreign employees located in different countries to render services on wind energy projects in Patagonia, all organised during the COVID-19 lockdown in which the government decreed the shutdown of the Argentine frontier and the prohibition of entry to foreign visitors.
Known for being ‘proactive, anticipating problems and proposing innovative solutions to avoid or resolve conflict’, Beccar Varela's labour and employment practice receives emphatic praise, with one client noting that, ‘in my more than 10 years in the profession, the labour law team at Estudio Beccar Varela has been one of the best with whom I have had the pleasure of working’. As well as undertaking an array of contentious labour matters, the team handles non-contentious advice including assisting with compensation plans and incentives, the development of internal regulations adapted to Argentine legislation and advice to multinational companies on the recruitment of expatriates. The 13-strong practice is also experienced in mass dismissals, the total closure of companies and the implementation of restructuring with layoffs. Practice head and labour disputes specialist Álvaro Galli has extensive experience in senior employee hirings and dismissals, variable compensation and incentive awards, and expatriate regimes, as well as in collective bargaining negotiations, union conflicts and company reorganisations. Key support comes from María Carolina Muriago, who was raised to counsel in August 2020, and seniors María Eduarda Noceti and Diego Muslera Larcade.
‘Beccar Varela stands out for the punctual sending of its newsletter that I value a lot as a client’.
‘I greatly emphasize the quality of the service of Maria Carolina Muriago. In addition to being an excellent, practical and flexible professional for the times, she is warm in her treatment of the client’.
‘The level of the professionals that make up the labour law department of Estudio Beccar Varela is excellent. With great technical rigour and a lot of knowledge of the current labour situation in a complex environment such as Argentina’.
‘Great attention to detail and anticipation of the various issues that may arise. Heads-up and early alerts specifically related to the problems of the clients’.
‘Great technical rigour and knowledge of the environment, particularly Romina Possetti and Gaspar Aguirre’.
‘The team managed by Alvaro Galli and especially Attorney Maria Eduarda Noceti is characterised by providing excellent service, based not only on response time but also on the creativity with which they attend to different issues’.
‘Very good billing service and in relation to the quality price. Creativity, response time, 360-degree vision’.
‘In my more than 10 years in the profession, the labour law team at Estudio Beccar Varela has been one of the best with which I have had the pleasure of working. They are proactive, anticipating problems and proposing innovative solutions to avoid or resolve conflict. Always providing clear, concrete and well-founded answers’.
‘The labour law team at Estudio Beccar Varela is young, highly trained and very pragmatic. Always looking for a solution and proposing innovative answers’.
Prisma Medios de Pago
The Walt Disney Company
Bank of America / Merrill Lynch
NBC Universal Telemundo Enterprises
- Advised Stericycle on the sale of certain business units in Argentina, including an analysis and identification of potential labor liabilities, working on the transfer agreements, and assisting the client with the termination of high-level executives during a prohibition on dismissals established by the Argentina government.
- Advised Brightstar on the sale of its business in Argentina (including two manufacturing plants and more than 500 employees) to Mirgor, involving the termination of all management positions during a prohibition om dismissals established by the Argentine government, the calculation of termination costs, advising on negotiating strategies and the drafting and signing of the termination agreements on behalf of the company.
- Advised American Airlines on all labour matters throughout the unprecedented crisis suffered by the airline industry as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, including assistance on the reorganisation of its activities and the implementation of a successful retirement program (in the context of prohibition on dismissals established by the Argentine Government), and negotiations with different unions to achieve the successful suspension of employees under different programs, thereby permitting AA to maintain its operations in Argentina.
Mitrani Caballero & Ruiz Moreno Abogados specialises in advising domestic and foreign clients on local, international and multijurisdictional employment and social security issues. Key strengths of the practice include collective bargaining and employment issues arising from M&A and other transactional matters. In terms of cross-border expertise, the firm handles expatriations, international assignments and relocations; while drafting and implementing labour and employment agreements is another core work segment, including severance packages, restrictive covenants, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements. Name partner Julio Caballero ('experience, ability to communicate opinions to peers, innovation') leads an 18-strong team with considerable partner-level depth. Senior figure Lorenzo Gnecco has over 40 years' labour and employment law expertise and is particularly noted for collective bargaining and agreements, and social security matters. Jorge Pico ('experience, innovation in solutions, structure to solve situations'); labour litigation specialist Rita María Payarola, Felicitas de Achával and Esteban Valansi all bring additional expertise. At associate level, key support comes from senior Ana Clara Gómez Casadei, who advises on individual and collective labour law.
‘They are our most reliable consultation firm for all issues related to these aspects. Its solutions are always innovative, seeking compliance with the law and in defense of the company’s rights’.
‘Jorge Pico: experience, innovation in solutions, structure to solve situations. Julio Caballero: experience, ability to communicate opinions to peers, innovations presented’
‘There is conceptual solidity in all the branches of the firm and a high interconnection between them. Job knowledge is excellent and is a benchmark vs. other firms’.
‘Technical knowledge, precise advice’.
‘It is a firm that focuses on every detail of the issues they deal with. They differ because they give a special treatment to each query, guaranteeing a complete review of all facets and treating the issues comprehensively’.
‘The firm sends a newsletter that is very complete and that is very useful to keep up to date with the news that affects the market, as well as with legislative developments and relevant rulings in jurisprudential matters’.
Lafargue – Holcim
Ariston Thermo Group
- Provided legal assistance in the reorganisation and redundancy procedure that Tenaris Group undertook during 2020 as a consequence of the Covid-pandemic induced crisis in the oil and gas sector, which involved a 20% reduction of the group’s personnel, worldwide.
- Represented the Asociación de Industriales Metalúrgicos de la República Argentina (ADIMRA) in the negotiation of several collective bargaining agreements with the Argentine Metallurgical Worker’s Union (UOMRA) and the Argentine Metal-Mechanical Supervisors’ Association (ASIMRA).
- Legal advice and representation of Siderca in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements with the Argentine Metallurgical Workers’ Union (UOMRA) and with the Argentine Metal-Mechanical Supervisors’ Association (ASIMRA), and covering an aggregate total of some 4000 employees.
Adrogué Marqués Zabala & Asociados
Sizeable boutique Adrogué Marqués Zabala & Asociados fields seven partners dedicated to labour and social security law. The group handles the gamut of collective labour matters, with strength in negotiations, collective agreements and contentious work; it is also experienced and active in individual employment issues. Name partner Javier Adrogué is recommended for his expertise in complex individual and collective conflicts.
Javier Adrogué; Glauco Marqués; José Antonio Zabala
L&G Global labour alliance member for Argentina, Allende & Brea’s practice ‘goes beyond mere interpretation of the law' and 'seeks to collaborate with the company's strategy by providing creative solutions in an adverse context’. The six-strong team handles the labour aspects of M&A and associated due diligence processes, the identification of labour liabilities, advises on local office and branch closures and assists with a variety of international issues. The Covid-19 pandemic led to an increase in medical and health consultancy work in the employment space, as well as advice related to large-scale furloughs and employment terminations. On the data front, the practice is also experienced in matters related to e-mail monitoring and privacy policies. Nicolás Grandi leads the team and focuses on employment advice for multinational and local corporations, especially regarding M&A, employee transfers, global transactions and labour litigation. Experienced associate Lucas Tamagno advises on both individual and collective labour matters.
‘A&B’s labour and employment area goes beyond mere interpretation of the law, it seeks to collaborate with the company’s strategy by providing creative solutions in an adverse context’.
‘Lucas Tamagno always gives me points of view looking for solutions, not just explanations’.
MasterCard International Corporation
Bank of China
Wells Fargo Bank
- Advise Thermo Fisher on every day labour matters, employee termination s and labour claims, as well as advice regarding the closure of one of its local related companies and the execution of mutual termination agreements with employees.
- Advised Lazard on everyday labour matters and dismissal of employees.
- Advice and negotiation of severance packages for Perform Media regarding personnel and high-level executives, including signing settlement agreements with top executives and UK related companies.
Advising across the spectrum of individual and collective labour issues, Bomchil has particular expertise in employment disputes, staff restructuring, due diligence procedures, benefit schemes, compliance and certifications. The firm is recommended for its ‘multi-disciplinary team of specialists’, as well as for its adaptability confronting the changing Covid-19 labour situation. Practice head Esteban Carcavallo handles counselling and advice in matters regulated by labour and social security laws, as well as negotiations with administrative authorities. He is ably supported by counsel Edgardo Isola (labour advisory, complex individual disputes, labour litigation and collective bargaining), and semi-senior Gonzalo Gago. However, former fellow semi-senior Florencia Fragapane departed to establish her own firm in March 2021.
‘A strong point is the disposition and warmth when attending the consultation’.
‘Bomchil does an excellent job in advising my company on all labor issues that may impact the daily activities of my company. E-mails are sent with the latest news on labor, commercial issues, etc. Due to COVID-19, they have quickly adapted to the new situation and all meetings were held via zoom’.
‘Both Federico Campolieti and Esteban Carcavallo are always available to consult, advise or provide their opinion on business and financial issues, which allow us to inform our corporate subsidiary. They also have extensive knowledge in the regulation of the pharmaceutical area where my firm is developed’.
‘The professional quality of the teams, the knowledge of our business, the availability of the professionals, the compliance with the deadlines and a multi-disciplinary team of specialists that allow us to cover the entire spectrum of our needs’.
‘The firm has given us support in diversity issues, anti-corruption measures, data protection and digitization’
‘I have the pleasure of working with Florencia Fragapagne and Edgardo Isola, they really always respond very quickly and their answers are concrete and fair’.
‘Working with them is really very enjoyable. Both professionally and personally. Always attentive and respectful in the face of unforeseen events that may arise with the mediations or the CDs received. Very efficient to respond to emergencies’.
Aeropuertos Argentina 2000
CH Robinson Worldwide
Argentine Polo Association
AMC Media & Networks
Marken Time Critical Express
Argentine Golf Association
HID Argentina – ASSA Abloy
CNP Assurances Argentina
Dun & Bradstreet
Milkaut – Savencia
Laboratorio Elea Phoenix
- Advised Buenos Aires Arena on its union negotiations for the operational initiation of the venue and regarding the interruption caused by the pandemic.
- Advised Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 on union negotiation s and all other labour matters during the pandemic.
- Advised Metalsa on several labour law matters ranging from daily advice to law suits and negotiations.
Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi provides comprehensive labour law and social security services to corporate and banking clients, with a focus on representing employers in extrajudicial and judicial claims and litigations. The firm handles claims and procedures before the Labor Ministry, as well as advising employers on social security matters and day-to-day human resources issues. Another key area of work is general compliance, in relation to domestic and foreign employment laws. Practice head Nilo Thomas (an 'excellent professional') is experienced across a range of labour and employment segments, notably transactional and M&A-related issues and due diligence procedures. Raised to the partnership in March 2021, Geraldine Moffat also handles the full range of labour matters and is particularly noted both for preventative advice and her knowledge of adapting international corporate policies, contracts and programs to local Argentine regulations.
‘Very professional, with a long history of collaboration and quick response according to needs’.
‘It is also important that they get to know the company they work with, some of its culture and its leaders. Many times lawyers carry out analysis of situations, risk and it is essential that they know to whom these recommendations are directed’.
‘Updating in different areas or topics, with a review or analysis of the new regulations’.
‘Adaptation to the new reality due to the pandemic’.
‘Nilo Thomas ia an experienced and excellent professional’.
Barrick Gold Corporation
Vista Oil & Gas
Wyndham Hotel Management
Caterpillar Financial Services
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
Envision Energy Argentina
American Express Argentina
Saint Gobain Argentina
Caterpillar Financial Services
BNP Paribas Group
Genaro y Andrés de Stefano
- Ongoing advisory to DirecTv Argentina (since 1997) on all labour and union matters concerning employees, as well as administrative and judicial labour claims in the City of Buenos Aires and across the country.
- Advice and assistance to Siemens Healthineer on labour matters concerning employees, former employees and services providers of the company, working in conjunction with its interdisciplinary team on different measures and strategies to prevent claims and contingencies.
- Assisted Molfino Hermanos with both individual and union-related labour matters, as well as with judicial claims in different jurisdictions.
Marin Perez Abogados
Founded in March 2020 by regulatory specialist Carlos Marin, who is highly regarded for his collective bargaining and negotiation skills, and reputed labour litigator Marcelo Perez, the eponymous Marin Perez Abogados is a labour and regulatory boutique seeking to provide strategic responses to labour matters accompanied by proven contentious capability. The team offers complete support in judicial and administrative matters and the management of litigious and conciliation portfolios; full spectrum counselling on individual and collective labour matters; and advises on regulatory frameworks and public affairs. Additional specialist advisory on the transformation of companies and their representation in business chambers is an additional hallmark offering. A senior associate with extensive experience in litigious labour matters Carolina Martignoni also has unusual niche expertise in dialogue and negotiation with local and indigenous communities.
Carlos Marin; Marcelo Perez
Louis Dreyfus Company
Openbank (Grupo Santander)
Asociación Argentina de Companias de Seguros (AACS}
Le Pain Quotidien
MBB Balado Bevilacqua Abogados
A specialist boutique now 11-strong, MBB Balado Bevilacqua Abogados advises and represents local and international clients across a broad range of labour and employment issues in Argentina but has also recently expanded its practice to include advice on corporate, trade, contractual and tax matters, providing a more comprehensive service so as to minimize clients’ legal risks and liability. The team -which ‘always shows itself to be informed of the latest legislative developments', and 'demonstrates consistent suitability in labour law’- has a particular focus on developing strategies to prevent harassment and discrimination in the workplace, as well as on payroll, gender equality, and diversity and inclusion issues. Practice head Mercedes Balado Bevilacqua is experienced in cross-border labour, social security, corporate management and human resources matters. She co-leads the team with Analía Durán, who handles employment contracts, expatriate benefits, complex labour litigation and labour issues related to M&A. Dedicated semi-senior associate Cecilia Acosta is also noted.
Mercedes Balado Bevilacqua; Analía Durán
‘The team is extraordinary in its services. The advice is practical and with great knowledge of the law and the country’.
‘Mercedes Balado stands out in the firm for her great knowledge, flexibility and unbeatable customer service’.
‘The MBB team and Mercedes Balado offer alternatives and scenarios that help decision-making. It is a firm that delves into the client’s need and takes responsibility as if it were his own company. They think as if it were for their own business’.
‘The team is filled with very capable lawyers. They have been great helping us understand the laws applicable to our situation and providing practical advice on how to operate within that law. Their advice is always fair and balanced, highlighting any relevant risks’.
‘MBB law firm has helped us clean up ongoing labour law issues while advising on potential changes for our legal structure. They also helped us identify a new accounting firm to support our operations in Argentina’.
‘Mercedes is very responsive to our questions and concerns. She typically replies to e-mail questions within 24 hours. When necessary, she is available via mobile phone to discuss your concern. Silvinia has also been great in advising concerning our corporate structure.’
‘The MBB team always shows to be informed of the latest legislative developments, and they demonstrate consistent suitability in labour law’.
Facebook/ Facebook Argentina
UPM Raflatac, UPM Raflatac
IPG Media Brands
Moody’s Corporation / Moody’s Latin America Agente de Calificación de Riesgo
Catapult Group International
Institute For Study Abroad (IFSA)
Michael Page International Argentina / Page Personnel Argentina Servicios Eventuales
Universal Music Argentina / Universal Music Group
We Work Argentina
World Learning /Fundación Educativa World Learning Argentina para la Promoción de la Excelencia en la Educación
Allergan Productos Farmacéuticos
Iberia Líneas Aéreas Españolas
Artsana /Artsana Argentina
- Assistance to Facebook in order to regulate employees’ framing under applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement (“CBA”) regulations, including; i) negotiations; ii) the execution of agreements with the union minimizing the company’s exposure to further claims, and iii) assistance to the company’s payroll team in order to apply the CBA.
- Advice to CBRE Argentina on Covid-19 pandemic labour measures and alternatives to minimize its negative impact on the company’s operations, including assistance on current regulations related to double-severance compensation and the prohibition on dismissals without cause, including the advice on termination of key employees and execution of mutual termination agreements.
- Advised UPM Raflatac on the drafting of the documentation to ensure that the business was considered essential during the Covid-19 pandemic, thereby allowing its operations to continue; as well as counsel on Covid-related labour measures and alternatives to minimize its negative impact on the company’s operations.
Regulatory compliance is a key strength for Nicholson y Cano Abogados' labour practice, which has increased its focus on advisory work due to employment-related government measures arising from the Covid-19 pandemic, particularly a prohibition on dismissals. The sizeable team of almost 30 lawyers is active across the industrial and service segments, notably for oil and gas, banking and insurance clients. Senior figure and 40-year employment law veteran Juan Carlos Etchebehere is deeply experienced in collective-bargaining agreements with federations and unions. He co-leads the practice with Pablo Javier Venarotti, who specialises in preventive counselling related to labour and social security contingencies; and insurance partner Marcela Botta Diego. Dedicated associate Federico de la Torre is also noted.
Juan Carlos Etchebehere; Pablo Javier Venarotti; Marcela Botta Diego
Shell Capsa (Royal Dutch Company)
British American Tobacco
Banco De Galicia Y Buenos Aires
- Advised and assisted varous clients on their incorporation in to the Government’s Covid-19 crisis payment system obtaining a 40% payroll subsidy.
- Advised and assisted varous clients on their incorporation in to the Government’s Work Assistance programme
- Undertook the implementation of a voluntary retirement programme despite the prohibition on dismissals; value: over $5m.
O’Farrell is recommended in the labour and employment sector for its ‘extensive experience in union and staff conflicts, which makes it possible to have a very clear overview’; clients also note that it ‘adapted very well to the special situation of Covid-19’. The team is particularly known for advice to employers regarding collective bargaining agreements, collective labour disputes, strikes and other forms of direct action. transactional labour matters and due diligence procedures constitute an additional area of expertise. Practice head Jose Luis Zapata and new partner Ignacio Castiglione (who was raised to the partnership in August 2021), ‘stand out for their qualities of understanding in each complex situation and their constant search for innovative and agile solutions’. Senior associates Luis Antonio Montenegro and Fernando Reto are also noted.
José Luis Zapata
‘It is our only office in labour. They have very solid knowledge of the subject and know our business to perfection. This last aspect makes them very strong. The treatment is very cordial and at the same time relaxed. That balance between their team and ours generates a relationship with open dialogue and true teamwork that brings magnificent results. The commitment to the business of our company is a constant’.
‘They attend our affairs with passion. Being fully involved at all times’.
‘Jose Luis Zapata and Ignacio Castiglione stand out for their qualities of understanding in each complex situation and their constant search for innovative and agile solutions for our business’.
‘The labour & employment team at Estudio O’Farrell has extensive experience in union and staff conflicts, which makes it very clear to see the general vision of the conflict. In this regard, they adapted very well to the special situation of Covid-19 by holding conferences and meetings virtually’.
‘The attorneys in the area are highly trained and trained to advise. They have an excellent predisposition for all subjects in the area’.
The team is led by partner Jose Luis Zapata, who gives the team a very agile dynamic and who has a prompt response to requirements, without this implying a decrease in the quality of the work’.
Nokia Solutions and Networks Argentina
Medicus de Asistencia Médica y Científica
Huawei Tech Investment Co
Centrales de la Costa Atlantica
- Provided legal advice to Ford Argentina regarding a restructuring process to mitigate the impact of the Covidn-19 pandemic, involving the termination of certain labour relationships; suspension agreements under the terms of article 223 of the Labor Contract law; negotiations with the SMATA union (concerning 1500 employees); and the reduction of working hours for certain personnel.
- Obtained a favourable judicial ruling on behalf of the former Petrobras Argentina -now Pampa Energía- regarding a union claim that the company had engaged in anti-union conduct and unfair practices.
- Legal advice to Farmacity during the Covid-19 crisis so as to mitigate its impact – including suspension agreements with some 500 non-contract personnel – permitting savings in social charges, employer contributions and salary reductions.
The ‘rapid and professional response on specific issues regarding Argentina's complex labour legislation constitutes an important competitive advantage’ of Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen's labour practice. As well as providing a range of labour relationship advice, including the drafting of employment and confidentiality agreements, the 15-strong team is active in collective bargaining and transactional matters. Other key specialisms include immigration and, particularly, disputes and labour litigation. Senior partner and veteran labour and social security practitioner Julio César Stefanoni Zani co-leads the practice with Enrique Alfredo Betemps, who has the ‘ability to analyse and solve situations and problems in a simple and always effective way’; and younger employment specialist Julio Javier Lococo. Key associate support comes from seniors Paola Giannini, Verónica Benegas and Max Ungerer. The team was further strengthened with the hire of intermediate María Soledad Irumberri from Estudio Grispy Asociados in March 2020.
Julio César Stefanoni Zani; Enrique Alfredo Betemps; Julio Javier Lococo
‘The rapid and professional response on specific issues regarding Argentina’s complex labour legislation constitutes an important competitive advantage of the Perez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arnsten Law Firm’.
‘The professionalism, experience and sense of urgency make Enrique Betemps a key person for our organisation in relation to labor disputes’.
‘The work team is of high performance and professional quality. I continue to choose this firm over any other’.
‘Enrique Betemps has an ability to analyse and solve situations and problems in a simple and always effective way’.
‘The team that I have and had the pleasure of working with has an excellent level. Highly predisposed to listen to consultations and to develop strategies together. Always very willing to answer first hand’.
Sociedad Italiana de Beneficencia de Buenos Aires – Hospital Italiano
Sinopec Exploration and Production
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Permanent and regular advice to MSD, Sumitomo, Louis Dreyfus, Wintershall, Google, Hewlett Packard, United Airlines, Total Austral, Duke Energy, Sinopec E&P, Endesa Argentina and Falabella (among others) on labour and social security matters, including the structuring of labour relationships, compliance issues, the drafting and application of employment policies, individual employment agreements; the down-sizing or closing of industrial or commercial facilities and associated workforce dismissals, confidentiality and non-compete agreements, stock option plan, collective bargaining agreements and immigration issues.
- Successful representation o Google Argentina in a lawsuit raised by a former employee of Atento Argentina -an entity that provided to Google telemarketing services- who argued that she should have been considered a direct employee of Google Argentina and should therefore recieve severand and compensation.
- Successfully representation of Sociedad Italiana de Beneficencia en Buenos Aires in a claim raised by a former employee who calimed unfair dismissal.
A&F | Allende • Ferrante | Abogados
The labour and employment practice at A&F | Allende • Ferrante | Abogados’ ‘main quality is that it has very good knowledge of the immensely complex legacy of Argentina and finds innovative alternatives that minimise risks for their clients’. The six-strong team advises on strategic human resources planning - including hirings and dismissals, drafting of internal policy and advice to foreign companies on local legislation. Other core strengths include the prevention of labour conflicts, trade union relationships and workplace discrimination matters. Practice head Gustavo Ferrante has an ‘outstanding professional career, an excellent command of the law and an immediate understanding of the nature of the problem and the best way to approach it’. Early 2021 saw former senior associate Federico Pavlov raised to the partnership; he handles the full range of labour, social security and migration matters.
‘Experience, professionalism and human warmth’.
‘Gustavo Ferrate is an excellent professional, combines experience and human warmth. Federico Pavlov is a very good professional, experienced, and committed’.
‘I think they work very well with each other and always have the senior team available when the client needs it’.
‘They apply a flexible billing system that helps the client and they handle technology very well and assume a valuable preventive scheme for the client’.
‘The main quality is that they have a very good knowledge of the immense complexity legacy of Argentina and find innovative alternatives that minimise risks for their clients’.
‘All the lawyers I have interacted with have performed very well, especially Gustavo Ferrante with whom I have regular dialogue’.
‘Gustavo Ferrante is a professional with an outstanding professional career, an excellent command of the law, an immediate understanding of the nature of the problem and the best way to approach it; as well as, something that is not often found in the legal world, he is an excellent person!’.
Compañia Administradora Del Mercado Mayorista
The Marketing Store Worldwide
Sas Institute Argentina
- Advised the Argentine Chamber of Fast Food Businesses(CADESREDEYA) on the implementation of a global agreement reached with the relevant union to temporarily suspend personnel for the period of the Covid-19 quarantine, involving approximately 25,000 personnel.
Alfaro-Abogados advises the human resources departments of corporations, banks and insurance companies on labour and immigration matters, collective bargaining negotiations, employees’ benefits, disputes, terminations, workplace safety and working visas. Carlos Miguez has over 30 years' experience in the sector, including in the judiciary (at Buenos Aires' labour court) and handles a broad spread of labour advisory matters; he co-leads the team with senior associate María Florencia Sota Vázquez; primarily a corporate specialist she heads up the firm's immigration practice.
Carlos Miguez; María Florencia Sota Vázquez
‘We are very satisfied with the way in which the different judicial processes have been approached and we have already closed several of them with a very favourable outcome for the company’.
‘We receive the information in time and always very clearly explained / detailed’.
‘On a daily basis we receive a newsletter that is very complete and even in some cases already written in English, so it is very easy to share it with the parent company’.
‘We really feel that the firm is engaged with us by providing fast and very elaborate responses. We feel very comfortable knowing that we have the backing of the firm’.
Comercializadora Terumo Chile
Mothers Energy Services
Voestalpine High Performance Metals
- Advised Soltec Argentina not only on general legal labour matters but also on all issues related to the transfer of personnel and the formalities to obtain residence permits before the Immigration Office.
- Ongoing advisory to Ajinomoto’s Argentine branch on all labour matters involving unions and collective bargaining negotiations.
- Advisory to Carrier regarding general labour matters, unions and collective bargaining as well as an analysis of labour claims initiated by contractor employees.
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro
Providing a ‘quality service that is agile at the same time’, Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro’s experience covers labour due diligence, reorganisations of companies, labour policy, risk analysis and cross-border transfer of employees, as well as dispute resolution and prevention. The practice is recommended for its ‘expertise in many different fields, from regulatory to labour to financial’ and is led by Pablo Nicastro, who has ‘great knowledge of the area of labour laws and of the customs and practices related to the subject’. Demand for the department's services has been such that the firm hired experienced senior associate Sofia Amadeo from Giustinian & Asociados in March 2021. On the contentious side, the team can also call on associate litigator Clara Fazio, who has extensive experience in judicial labour conflicts.
‘In my opinion, the business vision of the team members is focused on providing a quality service that is agile at the same time. The personalised contact allows them to know the needs of the company and adapt to the service needs that it requires’.
‘The labour & employment service at the firm is very efficient and of high quality. The aspect to be highlighted is the very precise diagnostic work on each conflict or particular case and the different alternatives it offers to mitigate labour contingencies in a country with anti-company labour legislation’.
‘Their work is highly efficient, personalized and of high professional quality. The knowledge is very versatile and the aspect to be highlighted is the permanent updating of the rules and regulations on labor relations, which lies in the benefit of always having adequate information to prevent conflicts and make the right decisions’.
‘I appreciate their expertise in many different fields – from regulatory to labor to financial – which is helpful to a small NGO’.
‘Willingness to provide clear and complete information, using specialised team members if the subject requires it. They strive to understand the specific needs of the customer’.
‘Pablo Nicastro is always ready to explain questions in detail, develops attentive listening to understand the client’s concerns. He demonstrated great knowledge of the area of labour laws and of the customs and practices related to the subject. He expanded with experts all the consultations that were more specific to another topic’.
Diagnóstico por Imágenes Maipu
Estudio Técnico Doma
- Permanent advisory to E-Payments on all labour matters (since 2015), including dismissals, changes in labour relationships, conflicts and in the defense of the judicial claims initiated against the company.
- Permanent advisory to Aerofarma on all labour matters, including dismissals, changes in labour relationships, conflicts and in the defense of the judicial claims initiated against the company.
- Permanent advisory to Alejandro Señorino and his companies on all labour matters, including dismissals, changes in labour relationships, conflicts and in the defense of the judicial claims initiated against the company; most recently this has centred on the initiation of a “223bis” request for a workers’ suspension agreement with the Labour Conciliation Service (SECLO) of the Ministry of Work, Employment and Social Security as a result of the pandemic.
Beretta Godoy advises Argentine and international clients on labour law, social security and human resources' matters, as well as regarding employee immigration issues. The team’s work ranges from the drafting of local and international agreements, to representing companies before administrative authorities and in court. Practice head Joaquín Ricardo Carrillo handles trade union issues and represents clients before courts and labour administrative authorities.
Joaquín Ricardo Carrillo
Toyota Boshoku America
AAJ Computer Service
China Nuclear National
Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt
Qantas Airways (Argentine branch)
- Advice to Minera Exar on the mitigation of labour contingencies related to the employment of its President and its CEO.
- Advice to Yamana Gold on the extraordinary regulations issued in Argentina due to the Covid-19 pandemic, including the obligation to pay double severance compensations, alternatives to the prohibition to carry out terminations without cause or because of force majeure, requirements to comply with immigration restrictions, and general labour compliance requirements.
- Advised Nuclearis on labour claims initiated by three managers who were dismissed after setting up a company that developed activities in competition with the company, breaching the non-compete duty set forth in labour law and their employment contracts; the team also assisted with criminal proceedings for fraud against the former managers.
Brons & Salas
The labour practice at Brons & Salas is perhaps best known for its contentious capabilities in relation to both individual and collective conflicts. Nevertheless, it also has expertise in collective negotiations, employee incentive plans and human resource policies, among other matters. Practice head Javier Verstegen handles the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, collective conflicts and the labour relates aspects of transactional matters along with labour-relations issues. Support comes from a strong tier of specialist senior associates includes Jimena Fariña, who manages clients' day-to-day labour matters along with coordinating the practice's labour litigation caseload; Laura Melniczuk, who has over 20 years' experience in the sector; María Victoria Perez, who heads up the migration sub-practice; and Micaela Luz Kravetz, whose professional trajectory includes in-house experience.
Long known for its strength in collective negotiation, Bulló Abogados' labour practice is in a period of reorganisation following the departure of Carlos Marín Rodriguez and Marcelo Claudio Perez to establish their own firm in March 2020. Labour advisory and litigation specialist Gonzalo Alberto Dabini has assumed leadership of the team; with over 20 years' experience in the sector, the practice retains experience across a broad swathe of labour matters including contract administration, union-related litigation and labour arbitration. the firm has also been recruiting -albeit at a junior level- with the arrival of youngster Juan Pablo Panozzo from Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen in May 2021.
Gonzalo Alberto Dabini