Belinda McRae > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
- Arbitration and mediation
- Civil fraud and asset tracing
- Commercial law
- Constitutional public and human rights law
- Energy and natural resources
- Jurisdiction, conflicts and enforcement
- Private international law
- Public international law
Belinda has developed an impressive and diverse commercial practice. She has a particular specialisation in private international law, public international law and international arbitration.
Belinda has appeared in the UK Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, High Court and county courts. She has also appeared, both as sole counsel and as junior counsel, in international arbitrations under a variety of institutional rules, seated in London, Paris, New York, Lausanne, Geneva, Kuala Lumpur, The Hague and Cairo. Belinda has been appointed as an arbitrator on a three-person London-seated tribunal.
She has developed an expertise in Brexit-related matters, particularly in relation to its private and public international law implications. Belinda was seconded to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Legal Directorate from 2016 to 2017, where she worked on Brexit-related international and domestic law issues, including the Miller litigation. She has also advised the Brexit Law Committee.
Before coming to the Bar, Belinda amassed a wealth of international legal experience. She was an Associate at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in Paris, where she specialised in international arbitration and public international law. Belinda has also worked in international courts and tribunals in Cambodia, Tanzania and Australia, including as an associate to the Hon. Justice Dyson Heydon AC, at Australia’s highest court.
Year of call: 2014
- Attorney General’s Public International Law Panel C (2017–)
- Bar European Group: Committee (2017–)
- Bar Pro Bono Unit
- Chancery Bar Litigant in Person Support Scheme
- Commercial Bar Association
- Commercial Bar Association: Brexit Conflict of Laws Group (2016–2017)
- International Chamber of Commerce Young Arbitrators Forum
- International Congress and Convention Association/Young International Congress and Convention Association
- London Court of International Arbitration Young International Arbitration Group
- Lord Chief Justice’s Advisory Committee on Brexit and Civil Jurisdiction (2016–2017)
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- Young International Arbitration Group: UK Regional Representative (2016–)
- University of Cambridge: LLM, First Class (2011)
- University of Queensland: BA/LLB, First Class (2009)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Juniors) Ranked: Tier 3
Twenty Essex is ‘especially good quality in international arbitration, public international law, and the international trade world‘. The highly versatile set has a broad range of expertise, and members regularly handle major shipping, commodities, fraud, and BIT claims, as well as arbitration-related spin-off suits in the courts. Recent highlight cases include PL Holdings S.A.R.L and Republic of Poland in which Sara Masters QC led Belinda McRae in a case that will consider the impact of the Achmea decision.(Top ten under eight years’ call) Ranked: Tier 1