Brendan Oviedo > Hernández & Cía > Lima, Peru > Lawyer Profile
Hernández & Cía Offices
AV JAVIER PRADO OESTE 795
MAGDALENA DEL MAR
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
- Energy and Natural resources: Electricity.
- Projects and Infrastructure.
- Hernández & Cía Abogados (December 2016 – to present).
- Vice-Chair of Power Committe of the International Lawyer Association of the International Bar Association (2016 – to present).
- Estudio Rubio Leguía Normand (2010 – 2016).
- Estudio Lema, Sorari & Santiváñez (2007 – 2010).
- Leader of the Peruvian negotiation team regarding the Carbon Market and Mitigation Mechanisms in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol (2009).
- Estudio Olaechea (2000-2002).
Spanish and English.
- Lima Bar Association.
- International Bar Association.
- Universidad de Lima (2000).
- University of Dundee, Centre for Energy, Petroleum, Mineral Law and Policy, LLM in Energy Law and Policy (2004).
- Universitat de Barcelona – Spanish Law Degree (2005).
- Diploma in Law and Competition Policy, World Trade Institute (Switzerland), 2006.
Peru > Energy and natural resources > Electricity(Leading individuals)
Hernández & Cía offers multidisciplinary expertise in the electricity sector, drawing on strength from its financial, corporate, regulatory, construction and environmental practitioners to provide clients with a broad range of services. It is particularly experienced in concessions, authorisations, licensing and permitting, tariff regimes and price regulation issues. President of the Peruvian Renewable Energy Association (SPR), practice head Brendan Oviedo is experienced in advising companies on all phases of power project development, including contractual matters, rights and permits, and representation in arbitral matters; a well as advising banks and other lenders on structuring acquisition and power project financings. At senior associate level, Evelyn Lopez acts for both public and private companies and is particularly noted for arbitration proceedings concerning regulatory matters at all stages of power project development; and Geraldine López transactions related to energy and hydrocarbons, public utilities regulation, infrastructure, and sustainability and climate change.
Peru > Banking and finance
Fielding an 18-strong team including six partners, Hernández & Cía acts for a healthy spread of domestic and international banks, investment funds and other financial entities. The group handles local and international mandates, including loans, project finance, leveraged financing, leasing arrangements, distressed debt, debt structuring, capital markets’ matters and work with investment funds. Many of its team, which is co-led by Juan Luis Hernández Gazzo, José Manuel Abastos and José Goyburu, have studied and practiced in the US, and have experience working in banks, financial institutions and trustee companies. Highly-regarded managing partner Hernandez Gazzo is well versed in high-profile finance deals; while Abasto, whose broad practice includes sovereign financing and public-private partnership (PPP) deals, acts for a roster of top banking clients, such as Goldman Sachs and Banco Santander; and younger partner Goyburu has particular expertise in leveraged financing and distressed debt. Probably best known for his projects-side work, Brendan Oviedo also acts for both lender institutions and borrowers in financing matters. Key support comes from senior associate Julien Labory-Alicq , who has become an integral figure in the firm’s banking group since his 2018-arrival from Clifford Chance (Paris), where he was an associate in the finance and capital markets practice.
Peru > Projects and infrastructure
Drawing on expertise from its financial, tax, regulatory, construction, permitting and land expropriation experts, Hernández & Cía is well positioned to assist in all stages of project development across a range of sectors, including transport, telecoms, hospitals, railways, water and sanitation, and mining. José Manuel Abastos co-heads the team and offers a wealth of expertise in contractual and regulatory matters, and the development and financing of PPPs. Fellow co-leader Brendan Oviedo is recommended for domestic and international energy and infrastructure transactions, while senior associate Evelyn Lopez has notable experience in arbitrations involving regulatory issues. The team was recently bolstered at the senior associate level by the arrival of Tely Porcel and Natalia Gallardo who joined from EY Law and Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados, respectively. Gracy Zapata left for an in-house role at Línea Amarilla in June 2021.
- Leading individuals - Peru > Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- Banking and finance - Peru
- Electricity - Peru > Energy and natural resources
- Projects and infrastructure - Peru
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and M&A
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- International trade (IT&C)
- Energy and natural resources > Mining
- Projects and infrastructure
- Real estate
- Capital markets
- Competition and antitrust
- Dispute resolution
- TMT (Technology, media and telecoms)
- Labour and employment
- Legal market overview