Beccar Varela > Buenos Aires, Argentina > Firm Profile
Beccar Varela Offices
EDIFICIO REPÚBLICA, TUCUMÁN 1, 3RD FLOOR
C1049AAA CIUDAD AUTÓNOMA DE BUENOS AIRES
Beccar Varela > The Legal 500 Rankings
Argentina > Compliance Tier 1
The broad practice at Beccar Varela specialises in risk assessment, internal investigations and white-collar litigation. The team’s work covers the design and implementation of a range of compliance regimes, as well as complex criminal proceedings. Maximiliano D’Auro leads the practice and stand out in the preventative aspects of the anti-corruption legal framework, and the implementation of codes of ethics and compliance programs. Key names in the team include Manuel Beccar Varela, who is head of the white-collar and corporate crime department; Francisco Zavalía, who focuses on consultancy, litigation and strategic advice to domestic and international clients; and Gustavo Papeschi, who was raised to the partnership in April 2021.
‘Maximiliano D’Auro has great intelligence and human quality that allows him to get closer to the client and know their needs in detail’.
‘Maximiliano D’Auro has his feet on the ground and knows in detail the reality in Argentina as well as the laws and international best practices’.
Nu Pagamentos (NuBank)
- Assisting NuBank subsidiary Nu Pagamentos with the design, development and implementation of an anti-money laundering (AML) prevention system compatible with a risk-based approach required under new regulations issued by the local Financial Information Unit for credit card issuers; the legal work included a comprehensive risk assessment, drafting policies and procedures, support in developing adequate governance and risk management frameworks, as well as insight in developing, adapting, and implementing internal AML internal controls.
- Regular advice on compliance, AML and and anti-terrorism financing (ATF) matters to an international casino grou, Enjoy, along with additional specialised AML training and a comprehensive revision and update of the policies and internal control procedures vis-à-vis the new regulations issued by relevant Argentine authorities.
- Provided Telefónica de Argentina with a comprehensive onboarding and due diligence procedure of the company’s wide range of third parties service providers, other relevant companies and key individuals related to them; the scope of work includes identifying and reporting on any potential corruption and reputational risks that may affect the company as well as any other potential red flags.
Augusto Vechio; Guido Krolovetzky
‘The team knows everything there is to know about trade and customs in Argentina. Very impressive. Well-connected as well.‘
‘Augusto Vecchio is simply fantastic. Incredibly responsive, fast, sharp, yet gentle and soft-spoken, never hectic, focused on the goal of providing quality advice. He knows trade and customs in Argentina backwards. Very collaborative as well. Camila Corvalan is also very good. Equally very responsive, fast, a good lawyer.‘
Arcos Dorados USA
- Assisting and representing Omani client Octal in an antidumping investigation against the imports of “PET resin” from the Sultanate of Oman.
- Advising international food corporation McCain on the framework of a procedure aimed at obtaining tariff benefits for an investment project under Mercosur trade and investment rules.
- Assisting and representing Chinese company Huihong in an antidumping investigation into the importation of “safety gloves” from China, Malaysia, India and Bangladesh.
Argentina > Public law Tier 1
The public law department at Beccar Varela advises private and public sectors as well as international organisations, bringing deep, industry-specific knowledge to bear - particularly in relation to the finance, life sciences, utilities, infrastructure and TMT sectors. The seven-strong team handles guidance on public administration at the federal, provincial and municipal levels, with public procurement, public-private partnerships (PPPs) and government contracts being among its primary specialisms. In terms of contentious matters, the practice has experience in the full range of administrative procedures before public bodies and regulatory commissions, as well as public law litigation and judicial review procedures. A ‘professional who stands out for his deep knowledge of public law, for his impeccable ethical conduct, for his practicality and for his dedication’, Oscar Aguilar Valdez is a veteran in the sector, with over 25 years' experience. He co-leads the team with Juan Antonio Stupenengo, whose strengths include constitutional, administrative and regulatory law. Key associate support comes from Juan Pablo Perrino (administrative and regulatory advisory, complex public law litigation) and Santiago Barbarán (who has extensive public sector experience at both provincial and national levels) additional points of contact. However intermediate Florencia Cairella moved in house at JP Morgan in June 2021.
Oscar Aguilar Valdez; Juan Antonio Stupenengo
‘We chose Estudio Beccar Varela -and more precisely Oscar Aguilar Valdez- for his irrefutable knowledge as demonstrated throughout the years that he has provided services to our company, his true taking on of the work and his constant disposition regardless of the day or time – all of which make him feel like another member of our in-house team and not like an outside lawyer’.
‘Oscar Aguilar Valdez enjoys well-deserved recognition in the industry. Knowledge, excellent predisposition, availability and ful engagement with the work, and excellent human and personal qualities make him indispensable when it comes to specifying an opinion related to administrative law’
‘Extremely solid and cordial team’
‘The public law department not only stands out for having professionals with a thorough knowledge of their area, but also for the predisposition to accompany its clients during the resolution of their problems’.
‘Various highly complex issues have been entrusted to them, obtaining deep and effective responses’.
‘Oscar Aguilar Valdez is a professional who stands out for his deep knowledge of public law, for his impeccable ethical conduct, for his practicality and for his dedication. He is a professional who is known to be relaiable at any time and in the face of any adversity or business opportunity’.
Vial Andes 7
José Cartellone Construcciones Civiles
Cámara Argentina de Especialidades Medicinales
Ingeniería y Economía del Transporte INECO
Banco de Galicia
- Legal assistance and representation of Vial Andes 7 in a high-profile, multibillion-dollar litigation resulting from the Federal Highway Administration (DNV)’s attempts to terminate the public-private partnership road consutruction contract for alleged breach of contract.
- Legal assistance and representation of the Argentine Chamber for Specialised Medicines (CAEMe) in litigation related to the challenging of a multimillion-dollar fine imposed by IOMA (the Province of Buenos Aires social assistance entity) for the alleged breach of a contract for the provision of medicines.
- Legal advice and representation of construction group Rovella Carranza in a high profile administrative adjudicatory proceeding before the National Airport Regulatory Commission and against Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 (the Argentine airport concessionaire) in connection with a complex, multimillion-dollar public works contract.
Argentina > TMT Tier 1
The experienced TMT team of Beccar Varela earns its place at the top end of the market by representing a diverse portfolio of clients, from infrastructure and service providers, to content developers, tech manufacturers and entertainment players. The firm increasingly handles data protection, privacy, cybersecurity and cybercrime issues, as well as advising on software licenses, outsourcing and cloud computing agreements. Other core specialisms include regulatory issues and the ever-growing fintech sector. Emilio Beccar Varela’s expertise covers media and entertainment, telecommunications, IT, IP and corporate advice. He is co-practice head along with Florencia Rosati, who handles litigation and advice on trade marks, patents, copyright, entertainment, communications and new technologies. The team was further strengthened in April 2020 with the arrival of senior Mariana Lamarca Vidal from Abeledo Gottheil Abogados, adding further associate support to that provided by intermediates Agustina Pardo and Martin Beccar Varela.
Emilio Beccar Varela; Florencia Rosati
Phoenix Tower International
The Walt Disney Company Argentina
- Regular advice to Samsung Electronics Argentina on data protection legal aspects, covering access rights by data subjects, drafting of privacy policies and consents, review and drafting of data processing agreements, advice on international transfers of data between subsidiaries of the same group, among others.
- Day-to-day advisory to Chinese vehicle-for-hire company DiDi, regarding the services it provides in Argentina, including on data protection issues -such as drafting of privacy policies, valid consents, processing agreements, international data transfers- and intermediaries’ liability issues, among other matters.
- Lately we are representing communication-satellite services provider Intelsat in obtaining landing rights in Argentina for the satellite IS-37e in replacement of satellite IS-901.
Roberto A. Fortunati; Javier L. Magnasco; Pablo J. Torretta
‘They cover all areas of practice and within banking they have the expertise to offer banking, corporate, regulatory, fintech and new business advice. María Shakespear is excellent at coordinating the team.’
‘The team has deep expertise, can operate across multiple jurisdictions and responds quickly to queries.’
‘María Shakespear and Pablo Torreta, are two professionals who stand out and demonstrate the firm’s excellence.’
‘Solid knowledge in banking matters and attention to detail. The team anticipates our needs and we know we can trust them.’
‘María Shakespear is a great professional, with solid experience and a very good predisposition. She forms a wide view of a business and its requirements and works with a client through the processes.’
‘Excellence, dedication and very business oriented.’
‘Beccar Varela is a strong full-service law firm, with several high quality practices. The banking and finance team is strong, and combines technical knowledge with a practical pro-business mindset.’
‘Daniel Levi has a 360 view of our business and was key to several complex discussions we had. He deeply understands regulation and provides valuable inputs about how to structure a new project, thinking creatively.’
International Finance Corporation
Corporación Andina de Fomento
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Apollo Global Management
Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires
- Advised various US and Argentine divisions of HSBC on the the provision of an $18m loan to YPF, guaranteed by the Export-Import Bank of the United States and the Private Export Funding Corporation.
- Advised Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited (ICBC China) on the acquisition of the a 20% stake Standard Bank still held ICBC’s various Argentina assets.
- Advised Deutsche Bank’s New York branch on the provision of a $9,8bn loan to YPF.
Beccar Varela distinguishes itself by combining enforcement, merger control, investigations, counselling and compliance expertise to advise on precedent−setting cases, including the cement and automobile cartels matters and the credit cards investigation. The firm is active in the competition and antitrust space for traditional industries, notably banking and finance, as well as fast−growing industries such as pharma, technology and fintech; another key area of work is advising mass consumption companies. Practice head Agustín Waisman specialises in competition, antitrust, consumer protection and gaming law. He can call on the expertise of senior associates Mercedes Pando and Camila Corvalán, who handle a range of antitrust, consumer defence and unfair competition issues.
- Advising Despegar in connection with its acquisition of BestDay; advising the company in connection with the competition strategy and leading the proceedings for merger control before the Competition Commission.
- Advised Grupo Axo on the acquisition of Nike Argentina and the competition strategy and merger-control filing before the Argentine Competition Commission.
- Advised Mepadip on the acquisition of Telearte and Televisión ABC as well as certain assets from IMC Radios, Sebrumax, HFS Media and Prime Argentina; along with setting the strategy and preparing the filing for merger control notification before the Argentine Competition Commission.
Argentina > Consumer law Tier 2
Active in numerous class action cases, Beccar Varela is recommended for its ‘extreme neatness and professionalism’ when it comes to judicial defence. The practice acts for national and international clients across a range of industries, with experts in litigation and arbitration handling disputes involving consumer protection, administrative law, customs, compliance and intellectual property. The team is co-led by Gonzalo García Delatour, who is known for his expertise in civil and commercial litigation, arbitration, and bankruptcy and restructuring; Federico Sosa, who focuses on complex litigation, class actions, insolvency and bankruptcy; and Agustín Waisman, who specialises in competition, antitrust and consumer protection.
Federico Sosa; Gonzalo García Delatour; Agustín Waisman
‘They stand out for doing hand-crafted work, and having a great knowledge of law in all their areas, especially commercial’.
‘They work with extreme neatness and professionalism. They stand out for their craftsmanship and professionalism’.
Banco Santander Río
Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- Advised DiDi on the launch of its mobility services platform for drivers and passengers in the city of Buenos Aires, including the drafting and review of Terms of Service, advertising campaigns, promotions and contests promoting the launch of the platform.
- Advising Avon, Despegar, GlaxoSmithKline, Red Bull, Revlon, Samsonite, Sanofi Aventis, Scania, Starz, Unilever, among others, on fair trade and consumer protection regulations including advertising, product labeling, product liability, e-commerce, sweepstakes, promotion activities, loyalty programs, recalls, and relationships and communication with consumers.
- Advised Mercado Libre in connection with the launching of its online supermarket, particularly in relation to its obligations against consumers as a provider of certain specific types of product (eg: groceries); and also on its liability for its role as intermediary for sales by third parties via its platform.
The ‘responsive, efficient and pro-active’ corporate and M&A practice at Beccar Varela is co-led by Roberto Crouzel and Roberto Fortunati, who also leads the firm’s natural resources unit. The team prides itself on its full-service capabilities and clients note its ‘very broad’ knowledge of corporate law. The team’s focus spans national and cross-border deals, with financial services, fintech, agribusiness and energy among its favoured areas. It is comfortable advising multinational corporates, domestic groups and local entrepreneurs. Matter highlights include advising ICBC China on the acquisition of the stake in ICBC Argentina still held by Standard Bank; working with US fibre-optic and voice-data group Transtelco on the purchase of Latin American connectivity services group, Neutrona Networks; and advising US mobile phone manufacturer Brightstar on the sale of its Argentine assets to Mirgor. Partner Tomás Allende, who led on the Brightstar deal, is among the practice’s key team members and also leads the private equity sub-practice. María Shakespear and Carolina Serra (who was raised to the partnership in April 2021), are praised by clients for their ‘experience, interpersonal skills, bargaining power and creativity and ability to unlock complex legal issues’, while senior associate María Eugenia Radaelli stands out for her ‘deep knowledge of corporate issues’ and ‘innate leadership skills’.
Roberto Crouzel; Roberto Fortunati
‘The group led by Roberto Fortunati as a partner, and by Eugenia Radaelli, as a senior associate, give us great confidence. Eugenia is a responsive a point of contact when we have complex questions (including labour, regulatory, competition, consumer protection, taxes). She is in charge managing the team and always gives us a complete and comprehensive answer.’
‘They function as an excellent extension of our legal department. The firm’s knowledge of corporate law is very broad, and its relationship with the other areas that are relevant to us is very close, which allows it to have answers of very good legal quality in a short time.’
‘Eugenia Radaelli has a deep knowledge of corporate issues, and innate leadership skills.’
‘The quality of their work and the speed of their responses has been exceptional. It is a real pleasure to work with this team.’
‘Very experienced and responsive with a practical approach and solutions.’
‘I want to highlight the professionalism and full disposition to accompany us throughout the process. As a strong point I want to highlight the experience and excellent diligence.’
‘The team led by Alejandro Poletto, accompanied by Eugenia Radaelli and Victoria Hugo, has performed its duties extraordinarily. Among the qualities are the experience, professionalism, and tranquility to advance through the complex moments that every deal goes through.’
‘The firm has great teamwork, being constantly in continuous communication with each other and with our company, which generates very fluid and organized work.’
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC China)
Quintana Energy Fund
Prisma Medios de Pago
- Advised Industrial and Commercial Bank of China on the $181m acquisition of Standard Bank’s shareholding in the companies ICBC Argentina, ICBC Investment Argentina and Inversora Diagonal, which represented 20% of the total shares in each of these companies, in the process becoming the sole shareholder in all trhee entities.
- Advised Brightstar on the sale of its local assets to the Argentine company Mirgor, which will control 100% of Brightstar Argentina and Brightstar Fueguina.
- Advised Stagwell and Code and Theory South America on the acquisition of Truelogic Software, Polar Bear Development, and Ramenu, from their respective founders.
Well regarded for its broad experience in litigation and corporate disputes, Beccar Varela represents local and foreign clients, as plaintiffs or defendants, in class actions and contentious commercial and civil matters. The firm also has a strong position in domestic and international arbitration, including investment arbitration, as well as providing advice and litigation related to corporate criminal law and white-collar crime. Seasoned professional Eduardo Güemes focuses on civil and commercial litigation, class actions, and insolvency and debt restructuring. Güemes co-leads the team with Gonzalo García Delatour, who undertakes both litigation and arbitration and has particular expertise in bankruptcy matters; Martín Gastaldi, who handles contentious issues related to rehabilitation bankruptcy (Chapter 11), liquidation bankruptcy (Chapter 7) and debt restructurings; and Federico Sosa, raised to the partnership in March 2020, his practice centres on commercial litigation, class actions, insolvency and bankruptcy.
Eduardo Güemes; Gonzalo García Delatour; Martín Gastaldi; Federico Sosa
‘Knowledge of fellow lawyers from the opposing team and a good spirit for dialogue, which favors communication between the parties during the process’
Latin American Investment Bank Bahamas
Citi International Financial Services
Tyco / ADT / Johnson Controls
CSAV / Hapag Lloyd
Prisma Medios de Pago
- Representing an international company in the drinks sector in a complex lawsuit filed by a distributor claiming a monetary relief in connection with: (i) the termination of a distribution agreement, and (ii) certain allegedly wrongful modifications to the terms of such distribution agreement.
- Advising and representing an international oil company in a complex dispute where the plaintiff claims monetary relief arising from: (i) the allegedly invalid termination of a service-provision agreement, and (ii) certain alleged breaches of said agreement.
- Advising Citibank (New York), Citibank (Argentine branch), Latin America Investment Bank Bahamas and Citi International Financial Services in a claim for damages allegedly caused by the wrongful manipulation of the plaintiff´s investments.
The full service Beccar Varela's strong electricity practice is active at all stages in the power sector, including generation, transmission and distribution, as well as working with large consumers. Acting for both national and international clients, the team operates in the thermal, hydro, wind, solar, biogas and geothermal segments, as well as providing experience in government privatizations, international bids and concession contract renegotiations. Core specialisms that allow the department to advise so broadly in the power sector include its regulatory expertise and its knowledge of the ever more prominent renewables sector. José Carlos Cueva leads the team and brings expertise in energy law and natural resources law, as well as economic regulation, public services and public bidding processes. His team was boosted by the March-2021 the arrival of former YFP Luz legal director (and fomer O'Farrell partner), Ricardo Castañeda, who focuses on M&A, corporate law, project finance and energy. Senior associate Gonzalo Viña, who has both litigious and energy-sector advisory experience, is also noted.
José Carlos Cueva
Hive Energy (UK)
Flex Wind – Manutenção e Instalação de Sistemas Eólicos
Líneas de Transmisión del Litoral
Inter-American Development Bank
Goldwind International Holdings (HK) Limited
- Advised Total Eren on its participation in an international bidding process called by the National Government to award Power Purchase Agreements, with the company submitting tenders for several wind and solar projects; as well as advice on the acquisition of renewable PPA awarded projects in Argentina, and on regulatory, tax and due diligence matters.
- Ongoing advice to Swift Argentina regarding regulatory and contractual matters related to the company’s energy requirements as a “large consumer” in the Wholesale Electricity Market, including negotiation of a long-term power purchase agreement with a private supplier.
- Ongoing advice to Hive Energy regarding the development of solar power plants in Argentina, including corporate matters, land lease, participation in provincial tenders; possible participation in national bidding processes related to renewable energy PPAs; and participation in the national bidding process in connection with the Private Renewable Energy Market (Mercado a Término de las Energías Renovables).
Argentina > Environment Tier 2
Recommended as ‘one of the outstanding environmental teams in Argentina’, Beccar Varela excels in environmental due-diligence and advising on the environmental aspects of complex corporate transactions. Clients range from power, renewable energy, mining, oil and gas operations, to food and agribusiness, TMT, real estate and manufacturing companies. As well as advising on regulation, the firm provides assistance with preventative civil, criminal and administrative litigation in the area. Administrative law and project finance expert Oscar Aguilar Valdez co-leads the team with counsel Angeles Murgier, who demonstrates ‘commitment to the work entrusted, and agile and quick responses to the client’s requirements‘. Indeed, regarded as ‘one of the leaders of environmental law in the region’ by clients, Murgier is virtually a one-woman-department, handling environmental counselling (including regulatory, permitting and compliance issues), the environmental law aspects of corporate transactions (including associated due diligence), compliance audits and environmental litigation. Since publication, the practice has been considerably strengthened with the February-2022 hire of the former regional head of environmental matters at Tenaris, Manuel Frávega, as partner-in-charge of the department.
Oscar Aguilar Valdez; Angeles Murgier
‘It is an excellent practice, led by Angeles Murgier, who is a great colleague and friend, and whom we greatly admire for her analytical skills and leadership’.
‘One of the outstanding environmental teams in Argentina’
‘Angeles Murgier is an exceptional lawyer. She is a very knowledgeable person in environmental law, very professional, organized and intelligent. Very dedicated and responsible, Angeles is one of the leaders of environmental law in the region’.
‘The specialised environmental team demonstrated a deep and thorough knowledge of the matter. They were assertive in their comments and in reviewing the practice documentation and it would be a team I would recommend in the future. Angeles Murgier demonstrated commitment to the work entrusted, and agile and quick responses to the client’s requirement.‘
Grupo Biotoscana / Laboratorio LKM
The Ocean Foundation
FCA Automobiles Argentina
Puerto Asis Corporation
- On going assistance to Swift Argentina on general environmental legal matters in Argentina, including regulatory, permitting and compliance issues for five operative facilities located in the provinces of Buenos Aires, Santa Fe and Cordoba.
- Advice to Total EREN on the environmental aspects of commercial transactions related to renewable energy projects (including the project acquisitions and sale/partnerships); as well as ongoing advise regarding the evaluation of the environmental aspects of renewable energy projects located in differing provinces including Buenos Aires, La Rioja, Neuquén, Río Negro, Salta, Chubut, Santa Cruz, Córdoba, San Luis and San Juan, each with its own environmental regulation.
- Ongoing advice to energy transportation company LITSA on the identification of applicable environmental obligations and the conducting an overall environmental compliance assessment so as to prepare for ISO certification.
Argentina > Insurance Tier 2
Beccar Varela provides ‘high technical capacity’ and an ‘in-depth knowledge of insurance topics, in addition to various specialities in the law’. The firm advises national and international insurance and reinsurance players, as well as brokers, on the transfer and sale of customer portfolios, corporate issues, regulatory matters, product approvals, marketing agreements and reinsurance accords. As well as regulatory advice, insurance litigation is another area of expertise for a practice that represents clients across a range of insurance-related legal proceedings, including class actions. Daniel Seoane leads the team and is a go-to name for insurance law and corporate advice. Key associate support comes from highly-experienced senior Agustín Luis Duarte.
‘The team stands out for its knowledge of the insurance and financial market. It gives an added value in the experiences with other clients’.
‘The plus is the knowledge of the insurance market, covering a wide range of topics. Additionally, its availability’.
‘The Firm acts with great speed and efficiency to achieve the collection of the sums due’.
‘They always incorporate friendly practices and formats for their legal opinions’.
Allianz Argentina Compañía de Seguros
Supervielle Group / Supervielle Seguros
Toyota Compañía Financiera Argentina
Volkswagen Brokers Argentina (Asesores de Seguros) / Volkswagen Credit Compañía Financiera / Volkswagen Financial Services Holding Argentina
Willis Europe BV and its subsidiaries Willis Argentina and Willis Corredores de Seguros
Bradesco Seguros and its subsidiary Bradesco Argentina de Seguros
- Advice on the registration of Toyota Compañía Financiera Argentina as a broker, as well as advice regarding requirements to start operations (including agreements with insurance companies), and development of a legal strategy for the financial entity and the new broker insurance activities.
- Advised RSA Group on a portfolio transfer and its approval by the Superintendence of Insurance; as well as currently advising the client on the cancellation of its inscription before the Superintendence of Insurance and the Public Registry.
- Advised an international insurer on a new group of collective actions initiated by Consumer’s Associations, as swell as regarding a new collective action related to the reimbursement of premiums related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Known for being ‘proactive, anticipating problems and proposing innovative solutions to avoid or resolve conflict’, Beccar Varela's labour and employment practice receives emphatic praise, with one client noting that, ‘in my more than 10 years in the profession, the labour law team at Estudio Beccar Varela has been one of the best with whom I have had the pleasure of working’. As well as undertaking an array of contentious labour matters, the team handles non-contentious advice including assisting with compensation plans and incentives, the development of internal regulations adapted to Argentine legislation and advice to multinational companies on the recruitment of expatriates. The 13-strong practice is also experienced in mass dismissals, the total closure of companies and the implementation of restructuring with layoffs. Practice head and labour disputes specialist Álvaro Galli has extensive experience in senior employee hirings and dismissals, variable compensation and incentive awards, and expatriate regimes, as well as in collective bargaining negotiations, union conflicts and company reorganisations. Key support comes from María Carolina Muriago, who was raised to counsel in August 2020, and seniors María Eduarda Noceti and Diego Muslera Larcade.
‘Beccar Varela stands out for the punctual sending of its newsletter that I value a lot as a client’.
‘I greatly emphasize the quality of the service of Maria Carolina Muriago. In addition to being an excellent, practical and flexible professional for the times, she is warm in her treatment of the client’.
‘The level of the professionals that make up the labour law department of Estudio Beccar Varela is excellent. With great technical rigour and a lot of knowledge of the current labour situation in a complex environment such as Argentina’.
‘Great attention to detail and anticipation of the various issues that may arise. Heads-up and early alerts specifically related to the problems of the clients’.
‘Great technical rigour and knowledge of the environment, particularly Romina Possetti and Gaspar Aguirre’.
‘The team managed by Alvaro Galli and especially Attorney Maria Eduarda Noceti is characterised by providing excellent service, based not only on response time but also on the creativity with which they attend to different issues’.
‘Very good billing service and in relation to the quality price. Creativity, response time, 360-degree vision’.
‘In my more than 10 years in the profession, the labour law team at Estudio Beccar Varela has been one of the best with which I have had the pleasure of working. They are proactive, anticipating problems and proposing innovative solutions to avoid or resolve conflict. Always providing clear, concrete and well-founded answers’.
Prisma Medios de Pago
The Walt Disney Company
Bank of America / Merrill Lynch
NBC Universal Telemundo Enterprises
- Advised Stericycle on the sale of certain business units in Argentina, including an analysis and identification of potential labor liabilities, working on the transfer agreements, and assisting the client with the termination of high-level executives during a prohibition on dismissals established by the Argentina government.
- Advised Brightstar on the sale of its business in Argentina (including two manufacturing plants and more than 500 employees) to Mirgor, involving the termination of all management positions during a prohibition om dismissals established by the Argentine government, the calculation of termination costs, advising on negotiating strategies and the drafting and signing of the termination agreements on behalf of the company.
- Advised American Airlines on all labour matters throughout the unprecedented crisis suffered by the airline industry as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, including assistance on the reorganisation of its activities and the implementation of a successful retirement program (in the context of prohibition on dismissals established by the Argentine Government), and negotiations with different unions to achieve the successful suspension of employees under different programs, thereby permitting AA to maintain its operations in Argentina.
Emilio Vogelius; Ana Andrés
‘I really enjoy working with Ana Andres. She is very objective, understands the needs of the business and presents effective solutions. In addition to being very kind and quick.‘
‘Full service Argentine law firm with good reputation and delivery’.
‘I very much like to work with Ana Andrés (health regulatory), Thomás Allende and Felipe Videla (both corporate and M&A). They provide timely advice at a cost efficient fee arrangement’.
Allergan Productos Farmacéuticos
Cámara Argentina de Especialidades Medicinales (CAEMe)
- Advised and assisted Sanofi on the transfer of assets related to certain product portfolio to Laboratorios Elea Phoenix and to Laboratorio Lepetit; the mandate involving the negotiation, drafting and review of the Asset Transfer Agreement as well as all ancillary agreements necessary to implement the transaction and to cover the transitional period.
- Advising the local subsidiaries of various international companies on the modfication of their local business structures in order to permit their full registration as pharmaceutical companies in Argentina.
Argentina > Real estate Tier 2
Representing real estate owners, project developers, property managers, lenders and investors, the six-strong practice at Beccar Varela provides broad ‘experience in the sector and a lot of knowledge of common problems’. The team's core strengths include acquisition and sales, property management and leasing, financings, restructuring and portfolio transactions in the real estate sector. Regulatory expertise is another key strength of group, which it combines with a specialisation in project finance. Highly-regarded practice head Pedro Nicholson is a well-known and highly respected figure in the market; he focuses on real estate, M&A and commercial law. Corporate, capital markets and project finance specialist Pedro Silvestri, who was raised to the partnership in April 2021, is also active in the sector, primarily on transactional matters; while dedicated senior associate Delfina Calabró is also noted.
‘Great knowledge of a very specific sector’.
‘Experience in the sector and a lot of knowledge of common problems’.
‘Identification with the objectives of the company, excellent knowledge of the practices required by a company with foreign capital’.
‘The partner in charge, Pedro Nicholson, is probably the most specialised real estate lawyer in the country’.
Fideicomiso El Anexo – Estancia Villa María
- Ongoing advice to CasaQuadra regarding the legal framework for the structure of residential projects which will be financed with green bonds; during 2020 counsel also included the negotiation and execution of a joint venture agreement with Ecipsa, one of the largest real estate developers in the provinces of Argentina.
- Assisting Fideicomiso El Anexo – Estancia Villa María with the legal and operative merger of an existing and very well-known gated community and country club in the Province of Buenos Aires, with a neighbouring gated community.
- Advice to JB Developers on the structuring and day-to-day operations of the development of a luxury real estate project located in Pilar, Buenos Aires province, known as “SLS Pilar Residences”, as well as on the block-sale of 33 units to local investment fund Cross Capital.
The experienced Beccar Varela practice handles financial restructurings, and bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings for national and international clients across a range of industries, particularly banking, insurance, automotive, agribusiness, food and beverages, real estate, transport and logistics. The firm is principally known for representing creditors, but is increasingly active for insolvent companies. Martín Gastaldi leads the team and specialises in restructuring, insolvency and dispute resolution. Another key name in the area is associate Federico Sosa.
Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires
The Scoular Company
- Secured recognition of BTG Pactual’s $70m credits to Proteinsa in relation to Cresta Roja bankrutcy.
- Advising and representing Citibank on the reorganisation proceedings of e-commerce company Necxus and its four guarantors, seeking recognition of a $5m secured credit (related to six secured loans); as well as representing the client in a mortgage foreclosure proceeding against Necxus.
- Advising and representing Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires in the AR$40m reorganisation proceeding of cable company Magnacom, as well as in an associated foreclosure proceeding related to its principal real estate property.
Advising producers, exploration companies and service suppliers, Beccar Varela’s broad practice handles due diligence operations and the negotiation of agreements, as well as advising on the corporate governance affairs of publicly-listed companies. Another strength of the team is its grasp of complex regulatory issues at the national and provincial level, which is combined with cross-border expertise. Well-known market figure and industry expert Roberto Fortunati focuses on mining M&A and project finance. He co-leads the team with senior associate Marcos Moreno Hueyo, whose experience in the sector includes both time in house (as head of legal at Orosur) and working in private practice in neighbouring Chile (at Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana).
Roberto Fortunati; Marcos Moreno Hueyo
Southern Copper Corporation and Southern Copper Argentina
Centaur Resources and Centaur Resources
Minera San Jorge
Everlight Resources and SurMinera
Route One Investment Company
Compañía Inversora en Minas (CIMINAS)
Cummins Argentina Servicios Mineros
- Legal advisory to the Australian group Centaur Resources concerning the corporate status of the local subsidiary in Argentina, as well as on its lithium investment projects.
- Advice to Mexico’s Southern Copper Corporation concerning the preparation of a purchase option agreement for the Hoyada Project, concerning 57 copper/ silver mining properties in the province of Catamarca, Argentina; estimated value: $6m.
- Corporate advice to Southern Copper Argentina on the preparation of the drilling contracts required for the development of its mining activities in the province of Río Negro.
Beccar Varela's multidisciplinary practice has a ‘great track record in hydrocarbons' legal issues in Argentina’, as well as providing ‘knowledge and professionalism in its concepts issued and procedures carried out’. The team represents clients across all stages of the industry, including exploration, upstream, downstream and service suppliers, offshore projects and energy-use efficiency initiatives, and is very experienced in sector-specific agreements such as farm-ins/outs, production sharing, joint ventures, EPC and operating agreements; it also advises on bidding processes, the drafting of concession agreement and the renegotiating of concession contracts. On the regulatory front, it works at both national and provincial levels, as well as on cross-border deals, and assisting with market entry strategies. With 20 years as a partner at the firm, José Carlos Cueva is an all-round energy-expert (electricity, renewables, oil and gas) with tremendous experience; he co-leads the team with finance specialist Roberto Fortunati, who has ‘extensive experience in oil and gas’ and additionally, an ‘excellent advisor’ on company dynamics, having spent time in house at Amoco Oil Company, among others. Senior associate Gonzalo Viña can also count on in house experience (at Petroquimica Comodoro Rivadavia), and focuses on natural resources and energy law as well as having experience in dispute resolution and corporate law matters. The practice was further strengthened in March 2021 with the arrival of Ricardo Castañeda, former head of legal at YPF Luz, who brings expertise in M&A, corporate, project finance and energy law. However, former senior associate Lucila Parodi moved inhouse at Livent in February 2021.
Roberto Fortunati; José Carlos Cueva
‘The Beccar Varela team solves all our legal problems and in my experience in a faster and more efficient way than other law firms’.
‘Speed, efficiency, they are available at any time and they solve any type of problem that we are facing’.
‘Roberto Fortunati is the partner in charge, with extensive experience in Oil & Gas, of great help not only in legal matters but he is an excellent advisor in the dynamics of the company’.
‘They have a multidisciplinary team of lawyers that has a great track record in hydrocarbon legal issues in Argentina’.
‘Their response times are excellent and they demonstrate great knowledge and professionalism in their concepts issued and procedures carried out’.
Quintana E&P Argentina
Patterson UTI Energy
Trafigura / Puma Energy
American Energy Partner
- Ongoing advice to Quintana E&P Argentina on a daily basis regarding its E&P activities in the concession areas “Anticlinal Aguada de Bandera” and “Sur Río Deseado Este”, located in the Province of Santa Cruz.
- Advised Italgas and the Renda family on their $23m acquisition from Raízen Argentina and Raízen Energina of all shares in Raízen Gas (formerly Shell Gas), which is dedicated to the fractionation and commercialization of liquid gas from petroleum.
- Assisted Patterson UTI Energy with its participation in different tender processes called by YPF, Wintershall, and Pan American Energy aimed at contracting a drilling company to render drilling services in oil and gas concession areas, as well as negotiating amendments to the drilling service agreements proposed by the other parties.
Emilio Beccar Varela; Florencia Rosati
‘Great responsiveness, reuqested information was provided to the point’.
‘Florencia Rosati: understands the needs of the client, provides understanding answers’.
‘Very commercial view of disputes coupled with great expertise and engaging lawyers makes this team unique’.
‘Emilio Beccar Varela is one of the most experienced IP litigators I know in South America. His in depth knowledge and ability to discuss the most complicated matters in an easily understandable manner is rare’.
‘Florencia Rosati is extremely hard working and clients love her!’
Samsung Electronics Argentina
JR Simplot Company
WestRock Packaging Systems
Prisma Medios de Pago
Canopy Growth Corporation / Spectrum Cannabis Canada, Tweed, & Ts Brandco
Sergio “Kun” Agüero
Medios y Contenidos Producciones
- Regular assistance to Samsung Argentina regarding the registration of its trade mark portfolio and on different IP issues, incuding -more recently- advertising issues, terms and conditions for different sweepstakes, the drafting of agreements with influencers, and the drafting of agreements with apps and services providers.
- Regular assistance to Grupo Enjoy on the registration of its trademark portfolio in Latin America and on different IP issues, such as trade mark opposition procedures, domain names registration and disputes, among others.
- Regular assistance to corrugated-packaging company WestRock Packaging Systems on the filing, claiming Convention Priority and prosecution of its patents in Argentina.
Argentina > Tax Tier 3
The ‘technically sound’ Beccar Varela tax team solves ‘complex issues’ in an ‘innovative’ and ‘efficient’ way. The team is experienced in financial services, real estate and energy, and is developing a growing reputation for expertise in the dynamic fintech, e-commerce and life-science sectors. The team, led by the ‘outstanding’ and ‘studious’ Santiago L Montezanti, is very strong transactionally, provides extensive tax planning and preparation advice and also has tax litigation capability. Other key names include María de los Ángeles Olano, Enrique Lopez and Fernando Botello; all are ‘very talented and thorough’.
Santiago L. Montezanti
‘A prestigious firm with a long tradition. A team of young and highly prepared tax lawyers that provide an interesting combination of experience and novel, ingenious, and holistic solutions.‘
‘Santiago Montezanti has built a very interesting team of professionals. He is an outstanding lawyer with deep knowledge of both Argentine and international law.‘
‘María de los Angeles Olan, Enrique López and Fernando Botello are very talented and thorough.‘
‘The Beccar Varela tax group, led by Santiago Montezanti, has positioned itself as one of the most recognised tax practices in Argentina.’
‘Great legal knowledge and practical approach, which allows them to avoid tax risks.’
‘Santiago Montezanti has solid legal knowledge and is able to take on complex tax issues, simplify them and obtain the appropriate results. He is a very studious person.’
‘Whenever we turn to the Beccar Varela tax team, we are certain that complex issues will be solved correctly in an efficient and solid way, offering innovative solutions that meet the requirements of clients.’
‘It is one of the best. Available and technically sound. We have had a professional relationship with María de los Ángeles Olano for years.’
Beccar Varela > Firm Profile
Founded in 1897, Beccar Varela is a leading full-service law firm in Argentina. It advises local and international companies in all areas of corporate law across all industries and seamlessly manages complex cross-border initiatives. Its team consists of over 160 lawyers specializing in different areas of law, 41 of whom are partners.
Throughout its history, the firm has forged alliances with international networks that bring together highly reliable worldwide law firms. It is an active member of the World Services Group, Interlex, Club de Abogados, ALAE, and INBLF networks.
Beccar Varela is the go-to firm in Argentina for clients focused on global issues such as corporate sustainability and triple impact; it is the country’s first full-service law firm to have joined the United Nations Global Compact and to issue an annual sustainability report. The firm provides interdisciplinary advice on environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) business models, including impact investments.
Beccar Varela’s head office is located in the heart of Buenos Aires; the firm also has a branch in Tigre, in northern Buenos Aires. The firm assists clients with activities across the country, advising on national, provincial, and local regulations.
The superb relations with law firms and clients throughout the region enables Beccar Varela’s team to seamlessly support complex cross-border initiatives and Latin America-wide strategies. The firm office in the free trade zone in Montevideo, Uruguay, offers strategic legal guidance to clients for their regional operations.
Clients: The firm combines its understanding of global and local business cultures to provide strategic tailor-made solutions to top-tier multinationals, national companies, and individuals, as well as start-ups and not-for-profit organizations. Its client portfolio includes leading blue-chip industry companies, both national and international, which invest and operate in Argentina. Beccar Varela has been serving many clients for nearly a century or more, such as Citibank since its first global expansion in 1914, and Unilever since the early 1920s.
Areas of practice: The firm deals with agribusiness, arbitration, art law, banking and financial institutions, bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring, capital markets, company law, competition and antitrust, compliance, consumer protection, corporate advice, energy, entrepreneurship, environmental law, family business governance, fintech, healthcare and life sciences, insurance, intellectual property – patents and trademarks, international trade and customs, labor and social security law, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, microfinance, mining, oil and gas, private clients, private equity, product liability, project finance, public law, real estate and hospitality, sports law, tax law, TMT (telecoms, media, technology), trusts and trust services, white-collar and corporate crime.
Languages: Spanish, English, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese.
|Corporate||Horacio E Beccar Varelaemail@example.com|
|Banking and financial institutions||Maximiliano D'Aurofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mergers and acquisitions||María Shakespearemail@example.com|
|TMT||Emilio Beccar Varelafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Company Law||Miguel Remmeremail@example.com|
|Private Equity||Tomás Allendefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Oscar Aguilar Valdez||Oscar Aguilar Valdez is a partner at Beccar Varela. He co-heads the…||View Profile|
|Gaspar Arturo Aguirre||Gaspar Aguirre is an advisory partner of Beccar Varela. He is the…||View Profile|
|Tomás Allende||Tomás is a partner of Beccar Varela. His practice areas include private equity…||View Profile|
|Micaela Aranciva||Micaela Aranciva is an associate of Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Emilio Beccar Varela||Emilio Beccar Varela is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the…||View Profile|
|Horacio Esteban Beccar Varela||Horacio E. Beccar Varela is the firm’s managing partner, a position he…||View Profile|
|Manuel Beccar Varela||Manuel Beccar Varela is a partner of Beccar Varela. He is the…||View Profile|
|Patricia Browne||Patricia Browne is a senior associate at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Ricardo Castañeda||Ricardo Castaneda is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Juan Pablo Chevallier-Boutell||Juan Pablo Chevallier Boutell is an advisory partner of Beccar Varela and…||View Profile|
|Roberto H Crouzel||Roberto H. Crouzel is a partner at Beccar Varela, where he co-heads…||View Profile|
|José Carlos Cueva||José Carlos Cueva is a partner at Beccar Varela since 2001. He…||View Profile|
|Luciana Denegri||Luciana Denegri is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Agustín Duarte||He is senior associate of Beccar Varela. His practice areas include insurance…||View Profile|
|Maximiliano Nicolás D’Auro||Maximiliano D’Auro is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Ignacio Flores||Ignacio Flores is a partner of Beccar Varela. He joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Roberto A Fortunati||Roberto A. Fortunati is a partner at Beccar Varela and a member…||View Profile|
|Eduardo José Güemes||Eduardo Güemes is a partner of Beccar Varela and the head of…||View Profile|
|Álvaro J Galli||Álvaro is a partner of Beccar Varela. His practice areas include Labor…||View Profile|
|Gonzalo García Delatour||Gonzalo García Delatour is a partner of Beccar Varela. His practice areas include…||View Profile|
|Dorothea Garff||Dorothea is a senior associate at Beccar Varela. She joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Martín Gastaldi||Martín Gastaldi is a partner of Beccar Varela and the head of…||View Profile|
|Valeria Kemerer||She is a senior associate of Beccar Varela. She focuses on company law…||View Profile|
|Rafael Marcelo Lobos||Rafael Lobos is a partner of Beccar Varela. His practice areas include mergers and…||View Profile|
|Pilar Lodewyckx Hardy||Pilar Lodewyckx Hardy is a senior associate at Beccar Varela, having joined the…||View Profile|
|Javier Luis Magnasco||Javier L. Magnasco is a partner of Beccar Varela. His practice areas include…||View Profile|
|María Fernanda Mierez||María Fernanda Mierez is a partner of Beccar Varela. Her practice areas include…||View Profile|
|Santiago L Montezanti||Santiago Montezanti is partner of Beccar Varela. He is the head of…||View Profile|
|Marcos Moreno Hueyo||Marcos is a senior associate of Beccar Varela.||View Profile|
|Ramón I Moyano||Ramón I. Moyano is a partner of Beccar Varela and a member of…||View Profile|
|Pedro Nicholson||Pedro Nicholson is a partner at Beccar Varela, where he heads the…||View Profile|
|Gustavo Papeschi||Gustavo Papeschi is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Alejandro Poletto||Alejandro Poletto is a partner of Beccar Varela. He joined the firm…||View Profile|
|José Miguel Puccinelli||José Miguel Puccinelli is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the…||View Profile|
|Victoria Rabasa||Victoria Rabasa is an associate at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Jorge Rassó||Dr. Rassó is an advisory partner of Beccar Varela. He focuses on…||View Profile|
|Miguel Carlos Remmer||Miguel Remmer is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Florencia Rosati||Florencia Rosati is a partner at Beccar Varela. She co-heads the firm’s…||View Profile|
|Yanina Salemme Duprat||Yanina Salemme Duprat is a senior associate at Beccar Varela, having joined…||View Profile|
|Carolina Serra||Carolina Serra is a partner at Beccar Varela. She joined the firm…||View Profile|
|María Shakespear||María Shakespear is a partner at Beccar Varela. She is a member of…||View Profile|
|Pedro Silvestri||Pedro Silvestri is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|Miguel María Silveyra||Miguel Silveyra is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm in…||View Profile|
|Casiana Silveyra Perdriel||Casiana Silveyra Perdriel has been a partner of Beccar Varela since 2007.…||View Profile|
|Federico Sosa||Federico Sosa is a partner at the firm, having joined Beccar Varela…||View Profile|
|Juan Antonio Stupenengo||Juan Antonio Stupenengo is a partner at Beccar Varela. He co-heads the…||View Profile|
|Pablo J Torretta||Pablo Torretta is a partner at Beccar Varela, having joined the firm…||View Profile|
|L. Augusto Vechio||Augusto Vechio is a partner at Beccar Varela. He co-leads the International…||View Profile|
|Emilio Nicolás Federico Vogelius||Emilio N. Vogelius is advisory partner of Beccar Varela, having joined the…||View Profile|
|Agustín Waisman||Agustín Waisman is a partner of Beccar Varela. He joined the firm…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresPartners : 41 Fee-earners : 121 Total staff : 250
LanguagesSpanish English French German Italian Portuguese
Doing business in ArgentinaThe Argentine Republic is a federal republic and representative democracy, comprised of 23 provinces and the city of Buenos Aires. Argentina is the second largest economy in South America, and is part of the G20. With a mainland area covering 2,780,400 square kilometers, Argentina is known for its vast natural resources and highly diversified economy.
- Banking and finance
- Competition and antitrust
- Consumer law
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- Labour and employment
- Life sciences and healthcare
- Real estate