Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP > Boston, United States > Firm Profile
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP Offices
ONE POST OFFICE SQUARE
BOSTON, MA 02109
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsNelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP is truly polymathic, able to offer ‘a seamless blend of traditional document review services with e-discovery legal counsel’. The group’s expertise spans all areas of e-discovery and information governance, including trade secrets, document preservation, data breaches and fraud. Active across numerous industry sectors, it is the firm’s work in the healthcare and life science field that stands out; Heyward Bonyata acts as discovery counsel to Eli Lilly in litigation proceedings relating to insulin pricing and medication side effects. Practice head John Martin is another key name, and uses his background as a litigator to aid clients in data collection in relation to court proceedings and government investigations. Though most of the team operate from Columbia, SC, the department also has a presence in Charlotte, NC through Rob Lindholm, who advises on white-collar and class action defence.
‘Efficient and timely experts on e-discovery matters.‘
‘Nelson Mullins’s e-discovery practice provides a seamless blend of traditional document review services with e-discovery legal counsel. Nelson Mullins leverages their extensive experience and technological resources to provide creative workflows and solutions to meet deadlines while also managing risk.’
‘The combination of the firm’s e-discovery advocacy, general litigation experience across the country, document collection, management, and review experience, in-house technological capabilities, and the firm’s resources that enable the practice to scale appropriately has served us well.’
‘The firm respects and advocates for our goals and standard practices rather than trying to change our goals and standard practices.’
‘Heyward Bonyata stands out amongst other attorneys as she practices law with a “client first”, mentality operating seamlessly with our standard processes and company culture.’
‘Heyward Bonyata’s positive and confident attitude is contagious among our team.’
‘Heyward Bonyata is a wonderful leader and teammate.’
- Served as discovery counsel for Eli Lilly and Company in the In Re: Viagra and Cialis MDL Products Liability Litigation
- Serving as discovery counsel for Eli Lilly and Company in response to several litigations relating to insulin pricing.
- Representing Santee Cooper in responding to subpoenas from federal regulators, defending multiple civil litigations, and responding to federal third-party subpoenas.
Other key lawyers:
Johnson & Johnson
- Lead trial team for Johnson & Johnson in talc cases.
- Ongoing representation of Honeywell on asbestos matters, including trials across the country.
- National trial counsel to American Optical on product liability matters involving underground mine respirators.
Industry focus > Education Tier 2Primarily based out of Washington DC, the practice at Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP is now jointly managed by litigator Arthur Coleman and Scott Palmer, and has a strong record acting in complex litigation and transactional matters. The group is well-versed in advising education boards and colleges on gender and sexual misconduct issues, including sexual harassment. Daniel Cohen in Atlanta is a key name, and has significant experience in gender issues, maintaining a busy pro-bono practice for student sexual assault survivors. Contacts in Atlanta also include Marquetta Bryan who litigates for schools on discrimination work. The firm’s affiliate consulting group EducationCounsel LLC remains active in policy for non-profit clients and academic institutions. Former co-head of the team Nina Gupta as well as Suzann Wilcox, both in Altanta, left the firm for Parker Poe in March 2022.
Arthur Coleman; Scott Palmer
Fulton County School District
Atlanta Public Schools
Cobb County School District
Louisiana Board of Regents
Societies Consortium on Sexual Harassment in STEMM
American Association for the Advancement of Science
National Association of State Approving Agencies (NASAA)
University of North Dakota
The College Board
- Advised Fulton County Schools on a $1.2bn E-SPLOST (Educational Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax) capital program, funded by a voter-approved referendum, and recently successfully renewed the program for another five-year term.
- Advised Louisiana Board of Regents (LBOR) and colleges and universities on all aspects of Title IX sexual misconduct matters, including policies and procedures, sexual misconduct investigations and adjudication trainings.
- Representing the school district in Jane Doe v. Fulton County School District which concerns a 13-year-old female student, (who is deaf and mute) suing the school district for $7m in damages for sexual harassment and discrimination under Title IX of the Education Amendment Act of 1972 and disability discrimination under Title 2 of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport Tier 3Combining deep sectoral knowledge of the transportation industry allied with strategic litigation credentials, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP is a popular choice for handling product liability and class actions throughout the country. Drawing upon the expertise of many practitioners with former in-house experience at major car companies, the team is particularly effective at representing automotive clients, including many OEMs. Exclusively focused on work in the automotive sector, Steven McKelvey combines commercial and advisory prowess, alongside litigation smarts, ensuring that he is a trusted advisor to stakeholders, both in a non-contentious and contentious setting. Mike Brown and Phil Cosgrove, based out of Baltimore and Los Angeles, respectively, are both noted for their advocacy skills, which they regularly implement to good effect for automotive defendants in product liability disputes. The arrival in June 2021 of Washington DC-based Terri Reiskin from Dykema Gossett PLLC was also a major boost to the firm, particularly in light of her product liability and class action expertise within the sector. In addition, the recent recruitment of a sizeable team of litigation partners from Bowman and Brooke LLP provides added weight to the practice, with many having a focus on automotive matters as a function of their broad product liability expertise.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of their strengths is the depth of their talent. They have a diverse group of attorneys in many different specialties, and are always available.’
‘They exhibit creativity and passion in their defense of my cases, and bring a diverse collaborative team to every case they handle for me.’
‘They are client focused, work their hardest to get a “win” for my company, however that might be defined. Their candor towards me helps me do my job better.’
- Representing Peterbilt in achieving a complete defense verdict in the first injury case for the client in nearly 20 years.
- Representing Texton in multiple matters in multiple states.
Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices Tier 3With an extensive team offering first chair trial experience, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP handles many simultaneous resource-intensive disputes, including as national and regional counsel. It is the firm’s trial-ready approach that is its strong suit, leading to early successes for client’s through dispositive motions including Daubert challenges, as well as trying cases, in many of the most challenging jurisdictions. Mark Jones and David Dukes co-head the products liability team from the firm’s Columbia headquarters, with Dukes particularly visible in the healthcare sector, including his work alongside West Virginia-based trial lawyer Marc Williams for Johnson & Johnson in the opiate litigation. The team was further strengthened in early 2022 by the arrival of a large group of litigation lawyers from Bowman and Brooke LLP, including pharmaceutical product liability experts Rachelle Anderson and Alana Bassin, who are based in the firm’s new Minneapolis office.
Other key lawyers:
Johnson & Johnson
Smith & Nephew, Inc
- Representing C. R. Bard, Inc. in its inferior vena cava litigation, and trying cases regarding the medical devices designed to prevent pulmonary emboli.
- Representing Smith & Nephew, Inc in a bellwether case relating to its Birmingham Hip Resurfacing.
- Representing Johnson & Johnson on Opioid matters in multiple states.
Gus Dixon; Michael Hollingsworth; Rhys Wilson
Other key lawyers:
Brian Galison; Billy Ching
Lykins Companies, Inc.
- Advised on Pexco’s acquisition of rival Altaflo. Pexco is a North American specialty plastics extruder while Altaflo produces high-performance fluoropolymer and fluoroplastic extrusions for the aerospace, pharmaceutical, chemical, energy, and electronics industries.
- Assisted Al Chem Specialties and CalChem in respect of their acquisition by a portfolio company of the leading Miami-based private equity investor, H.I.G Capital.
- Represented Municode, the largest codifier of legal documents for local governments in the United States and a nationally recognized provider of agenda and meeting management and municipal website design solutions, in its sale of membership interests to CivicPlus, LLC, the nation’s leader in civic experience technology.
Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco) Tier 4Primarily based out of its South Carolina office, and recently afforded further product liability bandwidth – including practitioners in newly established offices in Richmond and Minneapolis – following the arrival of a number of product liability litigators from Bowman and Brooke LLP, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP provides a ‘client-focused‘ service to an increasingly varied mix of consumer product industries beyond its core automotive focus. Mark Jones heads up the team that also includes ‘extremely experienced product liability lawyer and accomplished trial lawyer’ John Kuppens.
‘I have found the firm’s product liability lawyers to be among the best I have ever worked with. They exhibit creativity and passion in their defense of my cases, and bring a diverse collaborative team to every case they handle for me.’
‘Great lawyers. The most knowledgeable lawyers when it comes to product liability in South Carolina.’
‘Big-market legal talent at mid-market rates. Their willingness and ability to engage with our business leaders.’
‘Every lawyer I work with at the firm is client-focused. They work their hardest to get a “win” for my company, however, that might be defined. Their candor towards me helps me do my job better.’
‘John Kuppens is an extremely experienced product liability lawyer and an accomplished trial lawyer.’
‘John Kuppens is a fantastic lawyer and does a great job matching lawyers in the firm with our particular matters.’
Other key lawyers:
Stanley Jones, Jr.; Vinoda Basnayake; Woojin Shin
Cano Health LLC
Polk Medical Center
Beacon Health Options
- Represented Tidelands Health in its affiliation with South Carolina urgent care network Doctors Care.
- Represented Cano Health in its $600m acquisition of a group of affiliated companies.
- Advising Randoph Health in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, including the sale of assets.
Real estate Tier 5Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP‘s sizeable nationwide real estate practice is best known for its representation in land acquisition and entitlement, development and leasing, particularly in build-to-rent, hospitality, resort and timber sectors. Key figures include Andrew Litvak and Eric Klinger-Wilensky in Atlanta, for sponsors, developers, and investors in retail and multifamily properties; Laurence Papel in Nashville for hotel development and in Boca Raton, Christopher Staller and David Itskovich .
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP > Firm Profile
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP is a full-service law firm based out of Columbia, South Carolina, with more than 800 attorneys and government relations professionals practicing from offices in Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Tennessee, West Virginia, Colorado, California, the District of Columbia, and throughout the Carolinas. With clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to venture-backed and emerging enterprises to start-ups and private individuals, Nelson Mullins has strong roots in the business community and an appreciation for new directions in the business world. Founded in 1897, the firm is ranked by The American Lawyer as the 68th largest law firm in the United States.
Nelson Mullins provides advice and counsel in litigation, corporate, securities, finance, banking, mergers and acquisitions, financial services, healthcare, technology, intellectual property, labor and employment, government relations, regulatory, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, immigration, international law, and other needs of clients ranging from private individuals to large businesses.
|Bankruptcy, restructuring and creditors’ rights||H Jason Gold|
|Corporate||Jeffrey A Allred|
|E-Discovery||John D Martin|
|Environmental||Karen A Crawford|
|Financial Institutions||Neil E Grayson|
|Franchise and Distribution Litigation||Steven A McKelvey Jr|
|General Litigation||J Mark Jones|
|Government relations||Edward E Poliakoff|
|Healthcare||Thomas F Moran|
|Intellectual Property||Mark C Dukes|
|Labor and Employment||Bret A Cohen|
|Mergers and Acquisitions||Michael E Hollingsworth II|
|Real Estate||Andrew Litvak|
|Real Estate/Capital Markets||Bradley J Denson|
|Securities||Jonathan H Talcott|
|Tax||C Wells Hall III|
|Venture Capital||Billy Ching|
Staff FiguresTotal staff : 1,611 Number of Partners : 471 Number of Fee-Earners : 336
MembershipsAmerican Bar Association
OtherFirm Managing Partner : James K Lehman :
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Industry focus > Education
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation and regulation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Government > Government relations
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing