Mr Mark Simon > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Mark Simon
For more than 30 years, Mark Simon has helped lending institutions, real estate funds and developers on a wide range of real estate financings and investments. He combines deep technical knowledge and industry experience with an understanding of the legal and business needs of real estate funds, banks, insurance companies and private developers. Recognized as a leading lawyer for years by industry publications such as Chambers USA, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers, Mark brings market knowledge and judgment based on experience to each of his clients’ deals.
Ranked as a leading lawyer for real estate law in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Mark has been described by clients as “very knowledgeable” and “good at focusing on big-picture items.” He brings to real estate financings an incisive focus on the financial issues and business risks that will matter most to his clients.
Mark’s well-rounded representation of lenders and borrowers, developers and fund investors allows him to help his clients understand the needs and objectives of opposing parties and bridge the differences. At the same time, although Mark prides himself on a high level of legal craftsmanship, he works with his clients to identify the true risk points and possible financial detriments worth attacking and negotiates effectively when needed to avoid adverse consequences to his clients.
In his civic work, Mark represents nonprofit organizations in their efforts to improve Chicago’s neighborhoods and is a board member of the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights. Mark serves his home community as chairman of the Evanston Historic Preservation Commission.
JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1979; BA, Carleton College, 1976
Katten has a national reputation for handling acquisition, development, financing, leasing, and restructuring on behalf of lenders, developers, fund sponsors and investors. Chicago based senior partners Alvin Katz , David Dlugie and Mark Simon are all noted names in the Midwest real estate market. Timothy Little chairs the practice from New York.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense