Mr Louis Glaser > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Louis Glaser
Mergers and acquisitions in the health care industry demand a thorough understanding of the unique organizations involved and the complex regulatory issues they face. Having completed more than 100 acquisitions in this field, including a number of industry-leading transactions, Lou Glaser can anticipate the full range of complications arising in this highly regulated environment. Health care providers turn to him for some of the largest deals involving hospitals and specialty medical practices.
The sale of a physician-owned business poses challenges, and Lou is familiar with the complications that such an ownership situation can create and often devises novel structures to get deals done. A skilled negotiator with a certificate of mediation from the American Health Lawyers Association, he has a track record of closing transactions with minimal regulatory problems. The many successful deals he has completed include record-setting acquisitions of urology and gastroenterology specialty practices.
Diversified hospital systems and large medical groups frequently call on Lou, as do a wide range of health care providers, health maintenance organizations (HMOs), managed care organizations (MCOs), pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers. The transactions that he helps these clients with include not just M&A deals, but also reorganizations, joint ventures and complex financial arrangements.
Given his vast experience, Lou has navigated nearly every twist that a heath care deal can take — from selling a specialty practice owned by more than 100 physicians to negotiating sensitive matters with a government entity in public due to state sunshine laws. Across all of his work, Lou takes care to address not just his clients’ business goals, but also regulatory issues including reimbursement.
Beyond his deal work, Lou counsels clients on general corporate and regulatory matters. He has also steered clients through insurance and health care fraud litigation, numerous self-disclosures and the advisory opinion process.
JD, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, cum laude; MHA, The Ohio State University; BA, DePauw University
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense