Mr Joseph Willey > Katten > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
575 MADISON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-2585
- Go to...
Mr Joseph Willey
Tracking the multitude of laws that govern the health care field can overwhelm any hospital system or other provider. As a former attorney with the US Department of Health and Human Services, Joseph Willey helps health care providers identify issues of concern and find workable solutions. When problems arise, he’s skilled at litigating a range of claims, including reimbursement disputes. In recent years, he has recouped more than $320 million in additional Medicare reimbursement for hospitals.
Reimbursements are the life blood of most hospital systems and health care providers. Joe’s thorough understanding of the intricacies of the Medicare and Medicaid systems allows him to take aggressive yet grounded positions in disputes. He has convinced courts to dismiss enormous government claims against his clients and has settled other matters for a small fraction of the amount the government sought. His clients rely on him for guidance related to fraud and abuse matters, saying, “Joseph Willey is commended for his ‘truly encyclopedic knowledge of Medicaid and Medicare law'” (Chambers USA).
Joe’s decades of experience allows him to provide clients with clear roadmaps through the complex regulatory landscape. He advises on federal anti-kickback and physician self-referral laws and represents providers in investigations and litigation under the False Claims Act. He also represents providers in federal and state government audits and before administrative tribunals, including the Provider Reimbursement Review Board.
Clients also turn to him to help devise business strategies for their health care operations.
JD, The University of Kansas School of Law; BA, The University of Kansas
The team at Katten is adept at handling a variety of mandates, including Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues, and reorganizations of healthcare companies. Based in Dallas, healthcare practice chair Lisa Atlas Genecov is particularly adept at advising home healthcare companies and health systems on transaction structures, compliance, and strategic opportunities within the Affordable Care Act. Chicago-based Kenneth Davis has considerable experience advising radiology groups on Stark Law related issues, joint ventures, and business model development. In New York, Joseph Willey often acts in Medicaid FCA cases, settlements, and investigations, in addition to federal anti-kickback compliance.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation and air travel: finance
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Healthcare > Service providers
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation