Mr John Keiserman > Katten > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
575 MADISON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-2585
- Go to...
Mr John Keiserman
Structured Finance and Securitization
John Keiserman represents issuers, underwriters and lenders on structured finance deals across all asset classes, with particular experience in transactions backed by motor vehicle collateral. Recognized as a leading lawyer in structured finance by The Legal 500 US, John brings a creative, pragmatic approach to every transaction to ensure that his clients’ business goals are achieved even as they contend with an evolving regulatory regime. With his deep understanding of automobile loan, automobile lease and dealer floorplan receivables-backed deals, John regularly advises clients about developments in securities laws and transaction structures that impact those sectors.
John’s clients include captive finance companies and independent lenders, new market entrants and issuers with more than 20 years of experience, and underwriters, initial purchasers, lenders and investors who demand counsel that understands the peculiarities of every type of issuance, offering and deal structure. In addition to working extensively on transactions involving every type of motor vehicle collateral, John also focuses on structuring deals with underlying collateral that ranges in quality from deep subprime to super-prime and understands how to tailor structures to reflect each asset’s unique characteristics.
Understanding the auto industry and the unique features of motor vehicle-backed securitizations also allows John to give advice that keeps his clients on top of regulatory trends and at the front of the market on deal structures and innovative approaches. John advises securitization industry groups and informal groups of issuers on regulatory matters impacting these motor vehicle securitizations and has prepared numerous comment letters to regulatory bodies on these topics.
John’s focus on motor vehicle deals is supplemented and enhanced by deep experience on transactions utilizing other types of collateral, including mortgage loans, home equity lines of credit, equipment loans and leases, franchise loans and diversified payment rights. He also has represented collateral managers and monoline insurers on market value, cash flow and synthetic collateralized debt obligations and collateralized loan obligations.
Mr. Keiserman is a member of the New York State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
JD, New York University School of Law, cum laude; BA, The College of William & Mary
‘With deep experience across a myriad of asset classes and structures’, Katten’s workload includes consumer and commercial finance mandates, in addition to esoteric and one-off transactions, including electric vehicle lease securitizations, capital market-based carbon offset credits and agricultural receivables. Housing a ‘deep bench of experienced partners and diligent associates’, the team is well-placed to advise on the regulatory and tax aspects of structured finance transactions. In the firm’s New York office, Chris DiAngelo acts as principal counsel to the Structured Finance Association (SFA) and is noted for his expertise in ABS and residential mortgage-backed securities. Washington DC’s Anna-Liza Harris, who focuses on the tax aspects of asset- and mortgage-backed securitizations, jointly leads the team alongside New York-based Howard Schickler, whose practice covers a range of asset classes, including esoteric assets. The New York office is also home to John Keiserman, who handles transactions involving motor vehicle collateral, while Washington DC-based Seth Messner is praised as ‘knowledgeable, practical and commercial’.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation and air travel: finance
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Healthcare > Service providers
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation