James Tait > Browne Jacobson LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Browne Jacobson LLP Offices
VICTORIA SQUARE HOUSE
- Go to...
James is head of our Birmingham employment practice and a partner in the team dealing predominantly with private sector work. He has 19 years’ experience of all aspects of employment law dealing with both contentious and non-contentious issues. He deals with the firm’s tech, retail and manufacturing clients.
He has been involved in a number of high profile reported cases in the EAT, High Court and Court of Appeal. He has particular experience of advising on:
- cross border transactions, advising on TUPE compliance including warranties and indemnities
- protecting confidentiality/trade secrets and enforcing restrictive covenants for the purposes of business protection
- discrimination and whistleblowing claims.
James regularly trains the department’s clients with other members of our team and speaks at local and national conferences on employment law. He has provided multi-day training to a number of the firm’s international clients. He has published many articles for the local and industry press.
James also undertakes international employment work and is a member of the firm’s Pangea Employment group, which is a group of international lawyers, and sits on the firm’s international desk. James is also a board member of the British American Business Council in the Midlands which is an organisation aimed at promoting transatlantic trade and business. He is also a trustee of Performances Birmingham Limited which manages the world renowned Town and Symphony Halls in Birmingham.
Trained Shakespeares; qualified 2001; associate Shakespeares 2003-08; associate Browne Jacobson 2008-12; partner Browne Jacobson 2012.
Employment Lawyers Association; trustee of Performances Birmingham Limited. British American Business Council in the Midlands.
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys; University of East Anglia (French 2(1) hons); University of Birmingham (CPE (Commendation); LPC (Distinction)).
Running, music, family.
Browne Jacobson LLP generates work from a mix of public and private sector clients, and its team has key expertise in the commercial, educational, public, health and insurance sectors. Equally adept in both contentious and non-contentious matters, the group in Birmingham is led by James Tait, who acts for the firm’s technology, retail and manufacturing industry clients. Jacqui Atkinson, who joined from Capsticks LLP in 2018, is the head of the national employment healthcare team. Atkinson has considerable experience of advising trust boards and senior NHS managers on employment issues in the health and care sectors.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Public sector > Education
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Human resources > Employment
- Public sector > Health
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction