Lee Gordon > Weightmans > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
- Go to...
Lee heads the firm’s national Planning & Infrastructure Consents team. He is a specialist planning solicitor and has considerable experience in all aspects of planning and related law.
Lee’s practice has a particular emphasis on major infrastructure & energy projects, strategic residential and regeneration schemes. He has notable DCO and compulsory purchase order experience, which includes leading teams advising on the promotion of orders for various major schemes.
Lee regularly advises in relation to strategic residential and new town developments, including complex planning agreements for multi-phase sites. He has notable knowledge of the complex area of environmental impact assessment law, local government powers and an enviable track record and experience in relation to judicial review challenges in a planning context.
Lee has advised on some of the highest value and complex projects in the country, including on the first major infrastructure project to be successfully promoted under the Planning Act 2008 and various other Development Consent Order applications, representing promoters, statutory undertakers, public bodies on energy, infrastructure and regeneration projects.
Lee is commended for his strategic advice, collaborative approach and attention to detail, to help clients successfully navigate consents processes.
Examples of recent experience include:
- Advising Welsh Government in respect Wylfa Nuclear Power Station throughout the DCO process
- Mersey Tidal Energy DCO
- Various solar developers on their DCO proposals
- Lead adviser on the Harlow & Gilston Garden Town Project, a new town to comprise 23,000 houses
- O&H Land on their Wixam Park development in Central Beds, comprising 1,200 dwellings
- YORR dualling scheme, including planning, EIA and promoting CPO
- Rookery South DCO in respect of their Resource Recovery Facility
- Northern Powergrid on full range of consents matters, including various DCO’s, CPO & necessary wayleaves
- Supreme Court success for developer in Paddico v Kirklees on village green de-registration
- Court of Appeal success in widely reported case of Thornton Hall v Wirral & Thornton Holdings on JR time limits
- Securing all orders for J10, M6 Improvement Scheme, a unique collaboration between National Highways and Walsall
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The planning team at Weightmans is highly regarded for the ‘strength in depth and attention to detail‘ it provides when advising on significant, high-value energy, transportation and residential development projects. In addition to assisting with Development Consent Orders and compulsory purchases, the practice is very well versed in handling contentious work and planning appeals. With the ability to advise on planning applications as well as act in High Court challenges and judicial reviews, practice head Lee Gordon is sought after for the breadth of his expertise in complex projects. Michelle Spark left the practice in December 2022.
The Manchester practice at Weightmans LLP is co-led by Simon Colvin from that office, and Leeds-based Lee Gordon. It has strong capabilities in handling a varied workload, which involves advising on infrastructure projects, CPOs and energy-related issues, a noteworthy example being its work for the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority on the multi-billion Mersey Tidal Energy Project. In addition to its planning expertise, it handles transactional, advisory and compliance-related environmental work, as well as contentious matters of this nature. Partner Michelle Spark and legal director Elaine Field both departed to Brabners LLP in January 2023.
- Leading individuals Yorkshire and the Humber > Real estate > Planning
- Planning Yorkshire and the Humber > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Health and safety
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Real estate > Planning
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Private client > Family: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Public sector > Health
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate