Alex Davey > Birketts LLP > Ipswich, England > Lawyer Profile
Birketts LLP Offices
141-145 Princes Street
- Go to...
Alex joined Birketts in 2005. He is a Partner in our Shipping and International Trade Team.
Alex specialises in all aspects of shipping, transport and international trade work as well as a broad range of general commercial dispute resolution including reinsurance and insurance disputes, and aviation and professional indemnity work. He advises ship-owners, charterers, insurers, P&I Clubs, freight forwarders, logistics companies and all those involved with the movement of goods. Prior to joining Birketts, he worked for six years at Ince & Co.
Alex chairs and speaks at the Lloyds Maritime Academy courses on ‘Time Charters,’ ‘Maritime Law,’and ‘Marine Cargo claims.’ He is author of various modules for the Informa Professional Academy self study courses on Time, Voyage and Tanker Charterparties. Before studying law, Alex obtained a degree in engineering from Durham University. Alex is a keen yacht and dinghy sailor and a qualified RYA Yachtmaster. In 2004 he sailed around the British Isles and Ireland from Ipswich with his wife and father-in-law before spending some time living and teaching English in Sri Lanka and in Sichuan province in China.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The shipping team at Birketts LLP, which focuses on contentious shipping matters, acts for charterers, shipowners and commodities companies in both wet and dry shipping disputes. It has a strong profile in the London and international shipping markets. Henry Adams and Alex Davey jointly lead the group, with both practitioners focusing on charterparty, bills of lading, and cargo damage disputes. Dry shipping specialist Nicholas Woo is notably active in the shipping market in the Far East.
The Ipswich office of Birketts LLP houses a transport and logistics practice that combines in-depth experience in shipping, road transport and trade. ‘A specialised and efficient law firm‘, it is unique in the region for the breadth of its work. Henry Adams leads the shipping and international trade practice, which encompasses dry shipping and marine insurance work. As head of the regulatory and corporate defence practice, Matthew Gowen handles Public Inquiries before the Traffic Commissioner and before the Magistrates’ and Crown Court in criminal proceedings. Nicholas Woo is a specialist in all areas of dry shipping litigation, particularly in cases involving Asian jurisdictions. Head of litigation Alex Davey, whose work includes charterparty, bill of lading and cargo disputes involving High Court litigation or London arbitration, frequently advises P&I clubs, freight forwarders and logistics companies. Senior associate Sarah Holsgrove is also experienced in complex disputes.
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Transport > Transport and shipping
- Transport and shipping - East Anglia > Transport
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Transport > Transport and shipping