Mr Richard Sagar > Walker Morris LLP > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
Walker Morris LLP Offices
33 Wellington Street
- Go to...
Mr Richard Sagar
Planning & Environment
Richard is responsible for a variety of aspects of town and country planning which includes advising commercial, public authority and private clients with particular emphasis on advocacy at public inquiries. His specialist areas of work include residential, retail, waste and energy projects with extensive experience of appeals, development plan examinations, tribunal and compulsory purchase work. Richard has also dealt with a variety of judicial review and High Court challenges, and is well versed in court procedure and protocol. Richard is a highly regarded and extremely experienced advocate who has acted as lead advocate at numerous appeal Inquiries for complex and large scale developments.
Richard has been consistently rated as one of the UK’s top planning solicitors in Planning Magazine, the leading publication for planning professionals. Richard also has experience of working alongside Counsel, in the role of the instructing solicitor, should the case require.
Richard regularly appears as a solicitor advocate for his impressive roster of clients. One interviewed client notes: “He has a forensic, dogged approach to dealing with issues and the formulation of strategy. We found him to be exceptional.”
Walker Morris LLP‘s environmental law team is active in both the corporate regulatory compliance and planning space and is capable of handling a wide range of contentious and non-contentious mandates, particularly in relation to climate change and waste regulations. Stuart Ponting, who leads the team’s regulatory activities, advises on the environmental compliance and due diligence aspects of major corporate mandates and real estate development projects, as well as acting in environmental investigations and disputes surrounding regulatory breaches. Richard Sagar leads the planning side of the team following Alison Ogley‘s departure in December 2022 and provides environmental insights on planning applications and appeals. Regulatory expert Rachel Turnbull is also recommended, along with Josh Kitson, who advises on site contamination and waste issues in relation to environmental permits.
The team at Walker Morris LLP is well regarded for its ‘quality of work and proven success rate‘ on a wide spectrum of planning matters, handling major residential and logistics developments as well as a growing volume of infrastructure projects on behalf of clients such as Taylor Wimpey and Caddick. In addition to advising on large-scale planning applications and compulsory purchase orders, the team maintains a strong presence in contentious matters and regularly assists with planning appeals and public inquiries. Practice head and residential development expert Richard Sagar is a key contact for appeals and disputes, while Chris Slater regularly handles section 106 planning applications. Rob Moore is also highly recommended for his advice on land promotion matters. In December 2022, Alison Ogley left the firm.
- Leading individuals Yorkshire and the Humber > Real estate > Planning
- Planning Yorkshire and the Humber > Real estate
- Environment Yorkshire and the Humber > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Public sector > Education
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure and energy
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Real estate > Social housing
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax