Melissa George > Thrings LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Thrings LLP Offices
- Go to...
Business recovery, restructuring and insolvency.
Melissa is partner, and a highly experienced specialist insolvency lawyer.
Her practise includes advising a range a stakeholders of both private individuals to large corporate entities.
She advises all classes of stakeholders both before and during insolvency processes, as well as advising solvent structures in corporate consolidation, restructuring and managed exits. Her clients include local and national firms of insolvency practitioners, funders, acquisitive competitors, management teams and individual directors. She is recognised by her peers and clients as being very able, highly experienced, efficient and commercial. Her recent practice includes to directors and stakeholders of entities trading in the face of financial distress; advice on the grant and enforcement of finance, the security and conducting security reviews (including guarantees); the negotiation of the sale and purchase of distressed businesses in the context of a formal insolvency process (accelerated M&A, and sales by administrators) and the restructuring/consolidation of group/companies..
Recent examples of sector specific experience include IT and technology, retail, restaurants and leisure industry, construction, property management and distribution.
She can be found working closely alongside management teams of businesses facing cash flow pressures, and advising and assisting with debt negotiation, forbearance and restructuring before formal insolvency. She regularly advises creditors improving their security position, formal insolvency processes, including the making appointments of insolvency practitioners, as well as advising on technical insolvency issues, investigation, asset recovery, and claims arising within insolvency processes. Some specific examples include advice to businesses regarding defined benefit pension deficits, advising receivers in the context of a disputed appointed, advancing, and defending claims against company directors to recover preference/loans/unlawful dividends and disguised remuneration schemes.
Trained Beachcrofts; qualified 2000; solicitor Bond Pearce; solicitor Eversheds; solicitor/associate solicitor/partner Laytons/Thrings; partner in present firm 2013.
R3, associate member.
Constituting a ‘sound option for all insolvency and recovery instructions’, Thrings LLP has recently been increasingly involved in crisis management and long-term business continuity matters, and has seen an influx in assignments with international elements due to Brexit. Mark Cullingford and Melissa George jointly lead the practice in Bristol.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Real estate > Environment
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Private client > Family
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Real estate > Planning