Tom Murdoch > Stone King LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Stone King LLP Offices
91 CHARTERHOUSE STREET
- Go to...
Charity and social enterprise.
Tom acts for a wide variety of charities and social enterprises on diverse legal issues including: novel charitable purposes, spin-offs from the state, structural re-organisations, including governance reviews, amendment of royal charters, trading issues, charity campaigning, charity appeals, mergers and charities specialising in health and social care.
Recent charity work includes:
- acting for the Royal Society, the National Trust and English Heritage;
- first registration of new charitable purposes Wikimedia UK (the organisation underlying Wikipedia) and local Healthwatch (local authority public health responsibilities);
- closure of The Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fund;
- assisting DEFRA with the establishment of the Canal and Riverside Trust, the successor organisation in England and Wales to the British Waterways Board; and
- participating in both the NCVO’s and the Charity Law Association’s reviews of the Charities Act 2006 and the potential recognition of public benefit journalism as a charitable purpose.
Trained at Stone King LLP; qualified 2010; partner at Stone King LLP 2005.
St Bartholomew’s School, Newbury; York University; City University.
At Stone King LLP, the ‘excellent‘ offering is jointly led by Tim Rutherford in Bath and Tom Murdoch in Leeds. Handling ‘purpose-aligned’ partnerships between charities and public authorities, the team is particularly well known for its work on behalf of military interests, heritage clients, educational establishments and benevolent funds. In particular, the firm’s client portfolio recently expanded with the acquisition of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, the Public Interest News Foundation and City Hearts.