Jeremy Clarke-Williams > Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP Offices
125 WOOD STREET
- Go to...
Commercial dispute resolution - reputation management
Jeremy is head of the reputation management team specialising in defamation, privacy, data protection, confidentiality and harassment.
Acted for PC Toby Rowland in his successful libel action against Andrew Mitchell MP (the ‘Plebgate’ case); for Peter Cruddas, CEO of CMC Markets and former Treasurer of the Conservative Party in his successful libel action against the Sunday Times and two of its journalists; for Carmarthenshire County Council in its successful defence of a libel action brought by Jacqueline Thompson and in the successful counterclaim for libel damages by its Chief Executive, Mark James; and for Robert Murat in successful libel claims against the Sun on Sunday, Daily Mail, Express and Daily Star. Has advised the Police Federation, the NASUWT and the League Managers’ Association and their members on defamation and privacy matters for many years.
Publications of note: ‘A Practical Guide to Libel and Slander’ (with Lorna Skinner) (2003 – Butterworths/Lexis Nexis); defamation contributor to ‘Civil Court Service’ (published annually by Lexis Nexis)
Trained Blyth Dutton; qualified 1986; Russel Jones & Walker / Slater & Gordon 1986-2017 – partner 1989, equity partner 1994; partner Penningtons Manches 2017
Law Society’s Defamation Pre-action Protocol Group; founding member of Lawyers for Media Standards; has twice given evidence on defamation and privacy matters to Parliamentary Committees. Captain of London Solicitors Golfing Society 2015-16.
Portsmouth Grammar School; Birmingham University – LLB (1982)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Housed within the commercial dispute resolution department, the reputation management offering at Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP covers defamation and misuse of private information advice. The team is often called in to assist other departments, such as family law, employment, private client and charities, handle highly sensitive cases in which reputational and privacy issues are likely to arise. Crisis management around sexual harassment allegations and data protection incidents are making up an increasing amount of the team’s workload. Jeremy Clarke-Williams is a solid performer in high profile libel cases; he is often instructed by corporate clients both as claimants and defendants. Adele Ashton assists clients with issues prior to publication, as well as in litigation arising from breach of privacy rights.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP is the point of call for the League Managers Association and has recently represented managers such as Lee Bowyer and Alex McLeish on libel claims. More broadly, the team advises on general commercial and employment disputes for individual athletes, managers and coaches. Andrew Haywood is notably adept in employment issues, particularly in relation to discrimination and disciplinary issues. The team has been expanded by the merger of Penningtons Manches and Thomas Cooper in 2019; Nick Humphreys is an expert in employment litigation, whereas Richard Marshall focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration. Jeremy Clarke-Williams handles privacy and defamation disputes.
- Leading individuals - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Reputation management - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Sport - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Commodities disputes
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Court of protection
- Employment > Employee/unions
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Senior executives
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Transport > Shipping
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Employment > Employers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing: local authorities and registered providers
- Employment > Immigration
- Transport > Travel