Hogan Lovells International LLP > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Firm Profile
Hogan Lovells International LLP Offices
ATRIUM - NORTH TOWER
1077 ZX AMSTERDAM PO BOX 545
Hogan Lovells International LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsHogan Lovells International LLP’s global life sciences and healthcare team handles both EU-wide regulatory work and Netherlands-focused matters, and is well placed to handles cross-border cases by virtue of its international network. On the regulatory side, the practice has notable experience in regulatory exclusivity rights, pharmaceutical advertising, compliance, government investigations and also clinical trials, where it has recently seen an uptick in instructions. The team is headed by Hein Van den Bos , who is a name to note for regulatory work, and Bert Oosting , an experienced patent litigator.
Hein van den Bos; Bert Oosting
Other key lawyers:
Klaas Bisschop; Ruud van der Velden
‘True international representation that makes Hein van den Bos’ team a “one-stop-shop” for EU pharma compliance and regulatory topics where Hein serves as the contact person that handles everything’.
‘Hein van den Bos’ team is very pleasant to work with’.
Robert Masman; Wouter Jongen
‘The team is greatly involved with the relevant case at hand. They look to cooperate with all parties involved but always keep the interest of the client in mind. Their people skills are exceptional. The team’s combined knowledge makes them a leader in this field.‘
‘Robert Masman has in-depth knowledge of the market and finance law in general. He seeks to cooperate with all parties within a transaction to obtain the best possible outcome for his client. He is very pragmatic and knowledgeable.’
ABN Amro Bank
Volkswagen Pon Financial Services
- Advised ABN AMRO Bank as issuer drafting counsel on the update of ABN AMRO’s €40bn Covered Bond Programme and ABN AMRO’s €40bn Covered Bond Programme 2.
Wouter Jongen; Robert Masman
‘Expert knowledge of finance law. Entrepreunerial mindset.’
‘Wouter Jongen – Superb knowledge of pricing/terms in the market.’
‘The combination of relevant knowledge, customer focus and outstanding relationship skills makes the practice unique.’
‘Wouter Jongen – dedicated, great knowledge and outstanding relationship skills.’
Royal Schiphol Group N.V.
Three Hills Capital Partners
- Advised leading Dutch private equity firm Egeria on the financings supporting its acquisitions of Elastofirm and Social Blue.
- Advised premier Dutch private equity fund Smile Invest (together with Rabo Corporate Investments as minority shareholder) on the financing supporting their investments in IGS GeboJagema, which is specialised in the development, manufacturing and validation of high-end, multi-cavity injection moulds in the healthcare market.
- Advised Three Hills Capital Partners on a debt investment in Borealis Hotel Group, a market leader in the Benelux hospitality sector, with a successful track record of developing hotel projects across the region.
Wouter Jongen; Robert Masman
‘They are very much on top of things and fully aware of what is going on in the market/most recent precedents etc. The high quality team operates highly efficiently and is well capable to focus on the key items from both a borrower’s as well as lender’s perspective.’
‘Would probably rate Wouter Jongen as the best lawyer within the Dutch leveraged finance space. Always available; very pragmatic, understands the sensitivities within a deal very well and has a broad and deep network.’
‘The team at Hogan Lovells in Amsterdam of Wouter Jongen is at the forefront of banking transactions in the Benelux market, and affirmatively leads the pack when it comes to acquisition financings with an emphasis on covenant-lite Term Loan B and direct lending solutions. They skillfully combine the know-how and expertise in the US and UK capital markets with outstanding local advice.’
‘Wouter is relentlessly hardworking, very smart and always on-duty; a delight to have on your side.’
‘The Amsterdam banking practice of Hogan Lovells led by Wouter Jongen excels in proactive, commercial thinking whilst getting the balance right. They strive at complex cross-border financing situations whilst always keeping an eye on the ball and making sure that the desired end-result is obtained.’
‘The team is super responsive and well resourced with strong individuals across products and geographies. They come up with innovative solutions to numerous difficult aspects of transactions, while staying commercially focused and achieving favourable outcomes supporting the development of the business. Siddharth Saxena is certainly up-and-coming in the Amsterdam team!’
‘Wouter Jongen is a great partner to have on a transaction, due to his value-add in terms of (i) good advice on docs, (ii) solid negotiation skills, (iii) and extensive knowledge of Dutch leveraged finance market, including the various debt structures.’
Ares Management Limited
Intermediate Capital Group
ABN AMRO Bank
Kempen Van Lanschot Bank
- Advising a large syndicate of national and international banks on the financing supporting large cap private equity sponsor Ardian on the acquisition of Deli Home from premier Dutch investor NPM Capital.
- Advised Alcentra on Vitruvian’s largest investment to date, the acquisition of majority stake in Expereo.
- Advised HSBC on financing of the Rosewood hotel in Amsterdam, which is to become one of the most exclusive hotels in Amsterdam and the Benelux region.
Other key lawyers:
‘Joke Bodewits is a very capable, hands-on lawyer, who always strives to reach the best goal for the client. And with a touch of humour, which is really appreciated.’
‘Extremely good privacy experts!’
‘Joke is always on top of all the privacy topics, she takes the time to explain them very well and manages to turn what could be complex privacy advice into a very understandable explanation for in-house lawyers as well as business people. Always available for a quick check-in when needed or for a short explanation, she has the quality of a top lawyer working in a top law firm but keeps herself reachable as if it was a smaller size law firm. Her work quality is impeccable and she is very nice to work with. One of my favourite privacy experts!’
‘The team stands out not only for Joke’s outstandingly broad knowledge of GDPR, also her pragmatic business-oriented advice, unlike other GDPR legal advisers, Joke’s advice is usually on one page and can be used as is!’
Ruud van der Velden
Other key lawyers:
Bert Oosting; Klaas Bisschop; Rik Zagers; Dirk-Jan Ridderinkhof
‘I have been working with the Hogan Lovells International law firm in the Netherlands on high-profile, high-stakes, multi-jurisdictional patent litigation work. For the last 3 or 4 years they were working on such a major case for me, which just ended with my company being very satisfied with the results. They have been involved in devising strategies that are not only appropriate for their jurisdiction, but that is also helpful in other jurisdictions. They are very proactive, and are very knowledgeable about the law, the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry, and science. They identify top-calibre scientific experts for their litigation and work extremely well with them. They also professionally and respectfully interact with the attorneys working on the related cases, but also do the same when interacting with attorneys working for the adverse parties, which is very important to me. They are the first firm that I approach when I am considering litigation in the Netherlands. We had a virtual court hearing and the hearing and internal communications worked well.’
‘In my recent cases, I worked most closely with Klaas Bisschop and Rik Zagers. They are excellent writers, have great attention to detail, and are very hardworking and very easy to work with. Rik had excellent litigation and strategic judgement.’
‘One of the strongest teams in Europe. Great knowledge, experience and depth.’
‘Bert Oosting is always a pleasure to work with.’
‘Klaas Bisschop has one of the finest legal minds of his generation. Very approachable, intensely interested in succeeding for his client. A total star.’
‘The team is very experienced, hardworking, open and proactive. They analyze the matters very objectively, collect relevant information fully and diligently, then devise a strategy which can really work in the subject matter.’
‘Ruud van der Velden is excellent in strategy development in a legal matter. He has in-depth knowledge of law. He also monitors the legal environment in detail to catch details that can make difference. His advice is actionable and outcome-oriented.’
- Representing Eli Lilly in patent infringement proceedings against Sandoz, Teva and Fresenius Kabi in relation to the product Alimta (pemetrexed).
- Representing Merck Sharp and Dohme in two patent revocation proceedings with respect to Pfizer patents in relation to a vaccine product.
- Representing Oppo in patent revocation proceedings against Sharp before the District Court of The Hague in relation to two patents of Sharp that Sharp alleges would be essential to the LTE standard.
Robert Masman; Wouter Jongen
‘The team is greatly involved with the relevant case at hand. They look to cooperate with all parties involved but always keep the interest of the client in mind. Their people skills are exceptional. The team’s combined knowledge makes them a leader in this field.’
‘Robert Masman has in-depth knowledge of the market and finance law in general. He seeks to co-operate with all parties within a transaction to obtain the best possible outcome for his client. He is very pragmatic and knowledgeable.’
ABN AMRO Bank
Volkswagen Pon Financial Services B.V.
- Advising Royal Schiphol Group N.V. on notes issuances with an aggregate value of €1bn under its €5bn EMTN programme, as guaranteed by Schiphol Nederland B.V.
- Acted for ING Bank N.V. on various issuances of fixed-rate covered bonds listed on Euronext Amsterdam pusruant to its soft bullet 2 covered bonds programme.
- Advising ABN AMRO Bank N.V. as issuer drafting counsel on the update of its €40bn covered bond programme and €40bn covered bond programme 2.
Netherlands > Insurance Tier 3Led by Victor de Vlaam, Hogan Lovells International LLP's team in Amsterdam is seen as a go-to for particularly complex insurance and reinsurance transactions, such as cross-border M&A and portfolio transfers of life and non-life products, in addition to advising on market admissions, restructurings of insurance companies and regulatory issues. Reflective of the firm's strengths in the insurance arenaa, in 2020, de Vlaam, Robert Masman and associate Janelle de Ruiter were among the advisers to NN Group and NN Life on three transactions to transfer the full longevity risk associated with circa €13.5bn of pension liabilities in the Netherlands. Danielle du Bois-Buné joined from Allen & Overy LLP in May 2021.
Victor de Vlaam
Other key lawyers:
Leidsche Verzekering Maatschappij
Reinsurance Group of America (RGA)
- Advising NN Group (NN) and NN Life on three transactions to transfer the full longevity risk associated with in total approximately €13.5bn of pension liabilities in the Netherlands. The transactions have been entered into with reinsurance companies Canada Life, Munich Re and Swiss Re. These reinsurance transactions are the one of the largest reinsurance transactions in the Dutch market in years.
- Assisted Leidsche during the acquisition and with advice on its boards with respect to the acquisition by De Goudse.
- Providing Dutch legal advice to the Swiss Re Group on various reinsurance treaties entered into between Swiss Re, as the reinsurer, and a Dutch cedant.
Victor de Vlaam
Other key lawyers:
Jan de Snaijer; Danielle du Bois-Buné
Reinsurance Group of America (RGA)
Honeywell / Resideo
X5 Retail Group
Aware Super (formerly known as: FSS Trustee Corporation)
Leidsche Verzekering Maatschappij N.V.
Total Specific Solutions (TSS) B.V. (Topicus.com) and Vela Software
- Advising QTS on the sale of QTS to Blackstone in a €9bn transaction as announced in June 2021 together with the Hogan Lovells US team.
- Advising NN Group (NN) and NN Life on three transactions to transfer the full longevity risk associated with in total approximately €13.5bn of pension liabilities in the Netherlands.
- Advised Amsterdam headquartered Dutch multinational, Endemol Shine Group, on the €2+ bn sale by The Walt Disney Company and funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, Inc. to Banijay Group.
Netherlands > Employment Tier 4Hogan Lovells International LLP’s employment practice is ‘doing great local work and is at the same time well embedded into its international offering’. The team is noted for handling cross-border restructuring projects for large multinational clients. Anita de Jong heads the team and is recommended for M&A and outsourcing transactions.
‘Anita de Jong and her team members are available 24/7’.
‘Anita de Jong is a very experienced and energetic professional who is results oriented’.
‘The team is aligned on all matters and can jump in when partners are not available’.
‘The partners are always providing out of the box ideas which is required in our business and they can adapt where needed’.
‘Anita de Jong understands our business, connects overall cases and is a great personality to work with’.
‘Anita de Jong is very flexible in order to secure all interests’.
‘They provided instant feedback on questions and anticipate upcoming issues’.
‘International clients can be assured that, next to local advice relevant to the Netherlands, they will be kept in the loop on overarching, multi-national or regional developments’.
Choice Hotels International, Inc.
Brown-Forman Netherlands B.V.
Howmet Europe Sarl
- Advising Choice Hotels on all sorts of measures to mitigate the adverse consequences of the COVID-19 crisis (changes of management, restructurings and other measures).
- Advising Dell on all employment aspects of the sale of the RSA-business of Dell to a consortiumled private-equity firm Symphony Technology Group (STG).
- Advising Howmet on the establishment of a European Works Council and the Euroforumagreement to be concluded with the EWC and assisting the client during European WorksCouncils information and consultation procedures on layoffs in a number of jurisdictions.
Joke Bodewits; Ruud van der Velden; Anita de Jong
‘The commercial litigation team of Hogan Lovells is very dedicated and knowledgeable’.
‘The lawyers in the team are very approachable and pleasant to work with’.
‘Manon Cordewener is very experienced in commercial litigation’.
‘Manon Cordewener is a strategic thinker, knows what is important to her clients and is an excellent lawyer’.
‘Manon Cordewener exercises sound judgement and integrates herself into the team’.
Volvo Autonomous Solutions
Mitsubishi Motors Europe
UBI Pramerica (now Eurizon)
- Represented Interstate in arbitration proceedings before the LCIA against Odyssey (a hotel owner) on the wrongful termination by Odyssey of two hotel management agreements and the related damages suffered by Interstate as a result of such wrongful termination.
- Represented Ball Packaging in legal proceedings initiated against Ball Packaging (now Ardagh Metal) by Bound2B B.V. before the District Court in Amsterdam on the alleged default by Ball Packaging under a Licence and Development Agreement relating to the development of a resealable (beverage) can.
- Representing both Air Canada and Korean Airlines in a large anti-trust follow-on litigation matters relating to damages allegedly suffered further to a cartel decision by the European Commission.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team composition is tailored to the type of work we have requested. Together we have streamlined the collaboration, things that are standard/repetitive are made easy for our in-house legal team by means of templates made available by Hogan Lovells IP team.’
‘The Hogan Lovells team is great at right sizing their services. We do not have a large IP portfolio, but when we have to register them in exotic locations, their team is efficient, professional and effective.’
‘I always enjoy working with Samantha Brinkhuis. She provides great customer service and quickly breaks down the complex IP world into the relevant aspects for me and provides clear guidance to our C-suite.’
- Represented Nintendo in various complex trade mark and copyright law infringement matters (including legal proceedings) against parties that offer new generation circumvention devices and services, thereby circumventing Nintendo’s security measures against the unlawful copying of games (piracy).
- Advising PepsiCo on all of its trade mark related matters in Benelux, from prosecution to litigation.
Hogan Lovells International LLP > Firm Profile
The firm: Change is happening faster than ever, and legal challenges come from all directions. To stay ahead, organisations need to anticipate what’s next. Hogan Lovells understands this and works together with its clients to solve the toughest legal issues in major industries and commercial centres around the world. With 2,500 lawyers on six continents, Hogan Lovells offers extensive experience and insights gained from working in some of the world’s most complex legal environments and markets for corporations, financial institutions and governments. The firm provides practical legal solutions that help clients identify and mitigate risk and make the most of opportunities.
Whether a client is expanding into new markets, considering capital from new sources, or dealing with increasingly complex regulation or disputes, Hogan Lovells can help.
The firm’s lawyers are straight-talking. They understand and solve the problem before it becomes one. And they deliver clear and practical advice that gets the job done.
A fast-changing and interconnected world requires fresh thinking combined with proven experience. That’s what Hogan Lovells provides. Progress starts with ideas. And while imagination helps at every level, the firm’s legal solutions are aligned with each client’s business strategy. The firm’s experience in cross-border and emerging economies gives it the market perspective to be the global partner of choice for its clients. The team at Hogan Lovells brings a diverse variety of backgrounds and experience which delivers a broader perspective. This ultimately makes for more rounded thinking and better answers for clients. Giving back to communities and society is fundamental to good business. And, it’s part of the firm’s core. Everyone at Hogan Lovells is asked to volunteer at least 25 hours a year as part of their normal work duties.
Amsterdam office: Hogan Lovells in Amsterdam focuses on corporate/M&A, intellectual property, data protection, dispute resolution, life sciences, banking and finance, tax, and employment. Clients appreciate the integrated commercial, corporate, finance and tax services.
The firm provides practical solutions for Dutch and international clients. Its lawyers understand how local and international issues impact your work. They know that you value an honest, straightforward opinion. They deliver timely, results-oriented advice. And as a client, when you participate in their seminars and presentations, you gain an up-to-the-minute understanding of current business and legal issues.
|Mergers and acquisitions|
|Privacy and cybersecurity|
|Automotive and mobility|
|Energy and natural resources|
|Life sciences and healthcare|
|Mr Klaas Bisschop||Partner||View Profile|
|Joke Bodewits||Partner||View Profile|
|Miss Manon Cordewener||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Wouter Jongen||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Robert Masman||Robert is a Finance and Capital Markets lawyer focusing on asset based…||View Profile|
|Bert Oosting||Partner||View Profile|
|Aafke Pronk||Counsel||View Profile|
|Mr Peter Stokking||As a member of the corporate notarial team, Peter Stokking practices in…||View Profile|
|Mr Hein Van den Bos||Hein van den Bos helps life sciences companies with EU regulatory matters.…||View Profile|
|Mrs Anita de Jong||As a partner and head of the employment practice in Amsterdam, Anita…||View Profile|
|Mr Jan de Snaijer||Jan de Snaijer is still hard at work on the subject matters…||View Profile|
|Mr Victor de Vlaam||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Ruud van der Velden||Partner||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 2,500+ at this office : 42+
OtherOther offices : Alicante Other offices : Baltimore Other offices : Beijing Other offices : Birmingham Other offices : Boston Other offices : Brussels Other offices : Budapest* Other offices : Colorado Springs Other offices : Denver Other offices : Dubai Other offices : Dusseldorf Other offices : Frankfurt Other offices : Hamburg Other offices : Hanoi Other offices : Ho Chi Minh City Other offices : Hong Kong Other offices : Houston Other offices : Jakarta* Other offices : Johannesburg Other offices : London Other offices : Los Angeles Other offices : Louisville Other offices : Luxembourg Other offices : Madrid Other offices : Mexico City Other offices : Miami Other offices : Milan Other offices : Minneapolis Other offices : Monterrey Other offices : Moscow Other offices : Munich Other offices : New York Other offices : Northern Virginia Other offices : Paris Other offices : Perth Other offices : Philadelphia Other offices : Rio de Janeiro Other offices : Rome Other offices : San Francisco Other offices : São Paulo Other offices : Shanghai Other offices : Silicon Valley Other offices : Singapore Other offices : Sydney Other offices : Tokyo Other offices : Ulaanbaatar* Other offices : Warsaw Other offices : Washington DC Other offices : Zagreb*
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: asset finance and structured finance
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Data privacy and data protection
- Intellectual property: Patents
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights